Roadster's Theater - Page 4 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #91 of 203 Old 11-05-2011, 05:56 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 14
When I purchased my F2.2's, I was also looking for the 2.2C, but Chris made me an exceptional deal on his demo 2.3C that turned out to be in mint condition. In the end, the 2.3C is a superior match IMO. When pushed to higher volume levels, I like my center to play well within it's limits, avoiding unwelcome distortion as it tries to keep up with the mains.

My dedicated home theater room:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 203 Old 11-07-2011, 08:24 AM

Liked: 10
Excellent. That's what I wanted to know. Just a couple of years ago I had my system optimised for MCH SACD and was using identical towers at every speaker position including the center. The sound was outstanding not just with SACD but movies as well so I've experienced the SQ advantages of identical towers at every position. The much larger 2.3C is much closer to a tower than the 2.2C. I know alot of towers that aren't as big, size and sonic wise, as it is. I just wasn't sure if with the F2.2C having been designed for use with the F2.2Fs was a overall better blend than the F2.3C though. Thanks for the info.

Anything new to report on your HT's evolution?
post #93 of 203 Old 11-07-2011, 08:44 AM

Do you listen to much MCH SACD and do you have any plans to go to a 7 channel setup because of BluRay?

BTW I noticed your editing of Xover settings. I thought 60hz was a bit high for the F2.2s considering their bass strength and extension.
post #94 of 203 Old 11-07-2011, 11:49 AM - Thread Starter

^^^^ I'll be sticking with my 6.1 setup. Since my side surrounds are bipolars, the side/rear surround envelop is really good and without "holes". I would say that 75% of my SACD collection is MCH, so yes, I do listen in that mode quite a bit. In 2CH however, I listen mostly in the pure direct mode, having my Sony convert to analogue, no sub.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #95 of 203 Old 11-07-2011, 09:48 PM

I Love MCH SACD. IMO it's the best sounding music playback I've heard so far especially thru iLink. I have that with my Sony STR-DA9000ES/SCD-XA9000ES combo. I am looking to replace the DA9kES with a Marantz AV7005 though. The DA is outdated and starting to develop issues.

I'm looking forward to geting my copy Of Pink Floyd's Wish You Were Here SACD this week. Very nice that the F2.2s are full range enough not to need a sub on stereo playback.
post #96 of 203 Old 11-18-2011, 03:57 PM - Thread Starter

For those of you who, like me, have a dedicated home theater room with components against the front wall, I thought I would share a tip on how to reduce component LED glare by around 75%. This is quite welcome when watching a movie with the lights off or in scene mode.

Simply cut out an appropriate size and shape of black masking tape (something you can find in artist specialty stores), and stick it over the LED you wish to control. For Emotiva power amps, a quarter size (US or Canadian currency, worth around the same thing nowedays) cut out does a nice job of covering the status logo quite well.

post #97 of 203 Old 11-18-2011, 04:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 23
this is just gross...

grossly inconsiderate of you...

inconsiderate to post such beauty and making me drool on my laptop. I mean, how dare you show me those images of pure eye candy...

all kidding aside, absolutely fantastic setup and gears. Looking at your different components, I think it would be safe to assume that you have chosen everything with care and with the mindset that these are the pieces you wanted.

Great job
...and those Swans...man...

post #98 of 203 Old 11-19-2011, 04:21 AM - Thread Starter

^^^^^thanks jproy13. Indeed, my present system is something that's been evolving for over 30 years now, every change researched and auditioned to my own personal goals and preferences.

Cheers

post #99 of 203 Old 11-20-2011, 02:02 PM - Thread Starter

Finally got around to finish the black tiles in the back part of my ceiling. The theater room ceiling is seperated in two sections by a solid division hiding a beam, so I figured out a way to install the suspended ceiling tiles on that hard surface.

It's a pretty easy job to install but very time consuming, the whole thing taking 15+ hours to complete, even if the tracks were already in place.

As seen on pic #1, spray painted the smoke detector in black, taking care not to block the openings.

Next project just started; DIY Art Deco style acoustic panels covered in suede fabric.

post #100 of 203 Old 11-20-2011, 08:58 PM
EJ
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadster-s View Post

Finally got around to finish the black tiles in the back part of my ceiling. The theater room ceiling is seperated in two sections by a solid division hiding a beam, so I figured out a way to install the suspended ceiling tiles on that hard surface.

It's a pretty easy job to install but very time consuming, the whole thing taking 15+ hours to complete, even if the tracks were already in place.

As seen on pic #1, spray painted the smoke detector in black, taking care not to block the openings.

Next project just started; DIY Art Deco style acoustic panels covered in suede fabric.

I have R-3'S for surrounds. I see you use a c-3 for a rear center. I use a single 2.1. How do you like the rear-center? My mains are 6.1s.
LL

Former USSB uplink operator.
post #101 of 203 Old 11-21-2011, 03:54 AM - Thread Starter

Both are good choices, however the C3 is a better match to my R3 surrounds and it keeps up at higher volume levels, which I tend to drive them quite frequently.

edit: p.s. try not to include all of the original pictures in your replies, it takes up a lot of a page area for no reason

post #102 of 203 Old 11-21-2011, 05:03 AM

Your HT just keeps getiing better!! Thanks for the updates. Please keep them coming.
post #103 of 203 Old 11-21-2011, 06:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 1366
Just gorgeous. I really admire the detail and attention you've put into your set up. Great work man.

Spinning the rear tire at 150mph while at 3/4 lean angle will put wrinkles in your seat
post #104 of 203 Old 11-22-2011, 09:26 AM - Thread Starter

^^^^ Thanks Geoff. I take pride from the fact it's a 100% DIY project.

edit: Some may have noticed that I've gone to the "grills on" look on all of my speakers now, after 30 years of not using them in any of my previous set-ups. Feel they reflect a more sophisticated look that blends-in well with the rest of the room.

post #105 of 203 Old 12-20-2011, 06:55 AM

Liked: 13
Nice job, I really like the changes you made with the curtain and ceiling. Congrats!

Galaxy Theater

post #106 of 203 Old 12-23-2011, 04:33 PM - Thread Starter

Just finished building my own Art Deco Acoustical panels Frameless and floating 1" off the wall.

Two one inch, superimposed fiberglass panels wrapped in suede fabric. I was able to find the back fabric to match my theater seats, making everything blend well together. Now, I'll be looking at replacing the red fabric that crosses the top of my front curtains, since it's colour doesn't match the palette of the acoustical panels. I'll probably be going for a rigid or padded black fabric covered panel instead.

You can take a look at the building steps here:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...4#post21391184

post #107 of 203 Old 12-23-2011, 05:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 23
just as I thought it couldn't get any better...POW, you prove me wrong. It's funny because I had ask my wife not even 2 weeks ago what she thought of red sound panels (mid grey walls, black couch with red accents around the room) and she looked at me like I had 2 heads. You good sir may have tip the scale in my favor

cheers

post #108 of 203 Old 12-24-2011, 04:44 AM - Thread Starter

^^^^ Well, I guess you can call me the marriage counselor

post #109 of 203 Old 12-25-2011, 10:05 PM

Hey Roadster, Beautiful setup! Can't believe you did all that yourself...wow, I wish I had half your skills!

Enjoy the holidays in your beautiful theater!

post #110 of 203 Old 12-26-2011, 06:10 AM - Thread Starter

^^^^ Thanks and best wishes to you and all other forum members who read this.

post #111 of 203 Old 12-28-2011, 11:24 PM

It indeed does just keep getting better and better and it's even more ompressive that you did it yourself. Please keep sharing and all the best in the New Year.
post #112 of 203 Old 12-29-2011, 08:34 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 49
If I were in your theater for the first time, I would be staring at all the equipment, admiring the decor and not be paying attention to whatever movie was playing.

post #113 of 203 Old 12-29-2011, 10:49 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks guys, appreciated the generous comments.

As mentioned earlier, I had to replace the top part of my front wall curtains, since the red fabric there didn't match the color palette of the new acoustic panels. I just finished making it from rigid styrofoam based panels, padded with 1/4" material then covered in the same black fabric as the curtains. Finished it off with a decorative accent that mimics the acoustic panels.

Here's a newcomer to the stable; Emotiva XPA-5, with black trim option:

Got a few picks from the F2.2's back while it was pulled out during changes.

post #114 of 203 Old 12-29-2011, 06:39 PM

Your new acoustic panels gave me some ideas for my own setup. Thanks for sharing and I prefer the look of your black top panel. I'm with tezter, you're system and work would have all of my attention.

BTW What sonic improvements have you found by plugging the ports of the F2.2s?
post #115 of 203 Old 12-29-2011, 07:22 PM - Thread Starter

Michael, I tried all port options with my F2.2's and with both blocked, it yielded the most linear, natural sounding bass for my room. Of course, your mileage may vary, but since your room size and loudspeaker placement will be similar to my own set-up, you may end up with the same. Lot's of woofer diameter at work in these Swans when you total them up.

post #116 of 203 Old 12-30-2011, 03:39 AM

Thanks for the reply! I'll be sure to experiment with all options with mine.
post #117 of 203 Old 12-30-2011, 04:38 PM

Wow, very impressive changes. I would be stoked if I could get my setup to look half this nice someday.

Bencorn's Media Room
post #118 of 203 Old 12-31-2011, 04:30 AM - Thread Starter

^^^Thanks, it's always reassuring to get some comments in regards to the changes I've made. Countless hours spent researching decor ideas and make them somewhat affordable for the do-it-yourself, without having them look like DIY.

post #119 of 203 Old 01-01-2012, 03:28 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jproy13 View Post

It's funny because I had ask my wife not even 2 weeks ago what she thought of red sound panels (mid grey walls, black couch with red accents around the room) and she looked at me like I had 2 heads. You good sir may have tip the scale in my favor

I believe that bi-colour, frameless acoustical panels generally have a better WAF than the traditional ones, since they allow for more decorative options.

post #120 of 203 Old 01-11-2012, 09:03 AM

I was wondering what was your reason for the change in power amps from the Rotel to the Emotiva?

I wasn't aware of the black trim option from Emotiva. I haven't seen any mention of it on their website. How'd you find out about it? They wouldn't happen to have an all silver option would they?
Reply What's Your System Configuration

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page