Roadster's Theater - Page 7 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #181 of 203 Old 04-21-2012, 08:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked: 263
Those new tube amps look beautiful.....and that's a word I don't use often to describe technology! Where did you get those blue pangeas??
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 203 Old 04-21-2012, 02:23 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 14
^^^^ Thanks Brolic. I know Audio Advisor also sells those power cords, but I got mine from amazon with free shipping. Pangea makes them in 14 and 9 gauge. Woo doesn't include any cables so I had to shop for one.
post #183 of 203 Old 04-24-2012, 11:49 AM - Thread Starter

A work in progress, three 3 amp stands being custom made out of the same padauk wood as my amp trims.

more pics whan the arrive.
post #184 of 203 Old 04-25-2012, 02:52 PM

Liked: 10
I was wondering how your amp stands were coming. Looking forward to your update.
post #185 of 203 Old 05-01-2012, 03:50 AM - Thread Starter

Well my EE DAC didn't stay very long, I just traded-in for a Wyred 4 Sound DAC 2. Heard the W4S (DAC 1) in my system over the weekend and it sounds even better than the new EE, a pleasant surprise that I wasn't expecting.

But besides this slight sound improvement, two very desirable features (for me) motivated the change after only one month with the EE.

1) W4S has remote volume control that I can now use for my Woo headphone amp
2) The W4S can be used as a preamp (HT bypass feature), shortening the path by driving my amps directly.

To close the deal, Black Sand Audio (the Canadian distributor) took my EE as trade-in for only a few hundred $$ less that I originally paid and is shipping the W4S for free.

I'll post a few pics when it's installed in the rack.
post #186 of 203 Old 05-02-2012, 01:35 AM

That is great deal. Seems like it really worked out well for you. I too am surprised at the W4S sounding better than the EE. It must really sound good. I'll be looking forward to your review when you get it settled in your system.
post #187 of 203 Old 05-08-2012, 12:24 PM - Thread Starter

Amp stands are almost finished. Rubber feet with sorbothane washers will add isolation. I think the Emotivas are going to look like kings on their throne

post #188 of 203 Old 05-09-2012, 12:26 AM

I think they're beautiful and that they'll be a great custom touch. I'm looking forward to seeing them in your setup.
post #189 of 203 Old 05-17-2012, 04:26 AM - Thread Starter

Well, my DAC arrived on Monday and I'm letting it settle-in by running 24/7, 100-200 hours on loop. I'll share a more critical report later when it's got hours logged.

Right off the bat, it's a great buy, very happy with my decision. The soundstage is HUGE and the bass is very defined and tight, a net improvement over my EE or my player's integrated DAC's on both accounts.

I've got a big grin right now, specially since my Woo amp has gained remote volume control. I've changed my mind and won't be running my amps direct, the reason being that I want to keep on/off control over my XPA's when listening through my headphones.
post #190 of 203 Old 05-20-2012, 06:12 AM

Liked: 13
Hello Roadster,
Congrats on a great looking room and all the DIY work.
Love the look of your speakers although I've not heard that speaker line.

Like you I too have done a lot of DIY work, specifically for acoustical room treatments. Have you measured your room to see its Freq and time dimension specs? If you want to try your hand at diffusion to augment your absorbers, then send me a PM and I can send you a write-up on building 2D Skyline diffusers and a 1D Polyfuser.

Again, great system and room.
post #191 of 203 Old 05-20-2012, 05:02 PM - Thread Starter

^^^^ Thanks!

Having passed the 100 hours of loop time, this Wyred 4 Sound DAC is in a totally different league than my previous Eastern Electric DAC Plus. Every part of the spectrum is improved, absolutely everything. Starting with bass, wow! there is much more bass material than I ever thought I had on all those CD's. My Swans towers now deliver truly deep, very powerful and tight bass, down deep, way deep.

Compared to the EE, the soundstage has now widen by several feet, all while maintaining very precise instrument localisation. If there was one part that I particularly liked about the EE's tube output (with the upgraded Psvane tube) was it's warm and natural midrange. Voices simply took on such a natural "you are there" timber, more so than the SS output. Well, the W4S matches that slightly laid back midrange, while never ever veiling the voices or instruments within those frequencies.

After the settling-in time, high frequencies have now also perfectly integrated with the other ranges. Defined, precise, airy but never fatiguing, even on the many average quality masterings of classic rock material.

If it was easy to comment on the fact that the EE had it's own sound signature (which helped or hurt, depending on the recording), I can describe the W4S has being much, much more neutral in it's delivery. Only the midrange tends to have a tube like backdrop to it's signature, as the lows and highs really extend far, but without adding or taking anything away (to my ears). Put on an ordinary recording and this DAC will squeeze absolutely every note out of it, while keeping things well under control. Now, put on a very well mastered disk and this unit will make them sound AS GOOD as many of the SACD's I own.

What more can I say? This DAC cost me as much as my Sony XCD5400ES player or my Marantz AV, something it seems I would of never considered paying not too long ago, when all it does is, well convert the signal. But in the end, my F2.2 speakers deserved such a magnificent unit to make them truly shine to their highest level. System synergy and resolution taken into account, YMMV of course.
post #192 of 203 Old 05-20-2012, 09:29 PM

Thanks for the great review. I'm truly impressed at your experience with the W4S dac given all of the positive things I'd heard about the EE. You made a great point about the pricing. It's what caused me to shy away from seriously considering it. It's more than I paid for my Marantz also and just about as much as I paid for my SCD-XA9000ES. That's only because I got the 9000ES at a closeout price.

But I too want the best performance I can, as long as I can afford it, from the F2.2s. I've been looking into ext dacs as I'm going to be adding a DIY music server. So now I'm going to reevaluate my price ceiling for a dac and expand on my options. We just won't tell the wife
post #193 of 203 Old 05-20-2012, 09:37 PM

BTW, given the experiences you've had with the W4S dac, have you tried any options with the port plugs? Or have you just left them fully plugged?
post #194 of 203 Old 05-26-2012, 10:26 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mykyll2727 View Post

BTW, given the experiences you've had with the W4S dac, have you tried any options with the port plugs? Or have you just left them fully plugged?

Good question Mike. Yes indeed, I've had the top ports of the F2.2's installed or removed, depending on the source recording. Now with the W4S DAC settled-in, I've got both ports of my mains always blocked, the DAC having them playing down in the low 20's whenever the recording has it on it's menu.

I even got up a few time to make sure my sub wasn't active, I'd simply never heard the Swans play that low and powerful before.
post #195 of 203 Old 05-26-2012, 11:47 AM

Outstanding! I was pondering if the DAC would make a noticeable difference in the bass of the F2.2s that might cause a change in plug usage. Thanks for the info.

I'm glad to hear your F2.2s are sounding better than ever. IMO your investment in the DAC was well worth it.
post #196 of 203 Old 06-04-2012, 12:07 PM

Gil, did you get your amp stands yet?
post #197 of 203 Old 06-07-2012, 09:34 AM - Thread Starter

No Mike, not yet. I'm presently traveling in France on vacation, so I expect to get them in sometime next week when I return. I will post some pics once things are set up, John did an amazing job on them, based on the last pics he sent me.
mykyll2727 likes this.
post #198 of 203 Old 07-28-2012, 04:32 AM - Thread Starter

A few pics of one of my three custom amp stands, as well as my pivoting cinema chair table. All are the same color, to match the speakers, although lighting plays tricks on padauk wood. The true color is actually the one seen on the pivoting table. As a finishing touch (and show of appreciation to the guy who made them), I had some laser etched plaques engraved..

003.jpg
001.jpg

For the table, I used a high precision aluminium pivoting mechanism. The base is installed inside a cup holder and the top part is mounted underneath the shelf itself. When i get around to it, I'll post a few pics of the hardware.

004.jpg
DSC_0021.jpg
post #199 of 203 Old 07-29-2012, 05:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked: 263
STUNNING! The trim and amp stands look richly stained, and match the speakers perfectly (based on the picture with the center channel speaker in it)!!
post #200 of 203 Old 08-08-2012, 12:13 AM

Gil, now that is cool!! Wow did he ever do a fantastic job. They look stunning and the name plates are a really nice touch. Thanks for sharing.
post #201 of 203 Old 08-20-2012, 01:49 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks guys. I just took a few more pics which now show a better rendition of the color match with the speakers, enjoy.

DSC00046.jpg
DSC00044.jpg
DSC00047.jpg

As for the pivoting shelf I had built for my chair, I've included a few pics of how it was mounted:

It's basically two pieces of precision machined mounting hardware (Thorlabs.com) which included a base that was mounted inside one of my cup holders:

DSC00051.jpg

And then the shaft section that was screwed onto a reinforcing plate, iteself mounted underneath the shelf itself:

DSC00049.jpg
DSC00050.jpg

So I simply guide the shaft into it's base section and voilà! instant pivoting shelf that can be removed by simply pulling it off (in case you want to protect it from any accidental break when young children are around)
post #202 of 203 Old 08-22-2012, 11:34 AM

Cool!! And it looks like you got a great color match with the new pieces too.
post #203 of 203 Old 02-09-2014, 04:50 AM - Thread Starter

Been a long time since I've posted here or even had any significant changes done to my system. Just last week I did however pick up an Emotiva XSP-1 Gen II preamp, as well as an Anti-Mode 8033C for my sub.

The Emotiva preamp created such a huge improvement in sound for 2CH over my Marantz AV7005, it's simply in a totally different league. Wonderful unit, extremely transparent and neutral sounding. I'd been waiting several years to find a proper pre with HT bypass feature, one that wouldn't break the bank doing so. The XSP-1 delivers an extremely high value proposition and I'm glad I made this purchase.

IMG-20140203-00033_zps5a99b6e6.jpg

The 8033C sub EQ also performs as it should, taming my PB12 Ultra/2 Ultra ''serial killer'' to integrate a whole lot better into my room. Boy did I ever wait too long before getting one of these...
Reply What's Your System Configuration

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page