Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 159 Old 12-29-2010, 09:06 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 262

***Updated 4-25-14***

Quick update.  Managed to lug the speaker and get it into place.  Haven't really had a chance to test it yet but wanted to at least get some pics of it in the thread.  I'll update the first post as well to reflect the difference.

Rear Left:

Rear right:

View of the rears.  Pardon the dust:

There's more to come, just had time to snap some pics.  I will test it later and report on any differences.

edit **Updated 4-18-14**

Just wanted to update a couple of pictures of the current set up.  Put in a second sub and I have a Klipsch RC-64II on order so I will update once it comes in.

edit **Updated 8-1-13**

Here's the new pic discussed in my latest post.  Ignore the messy wiring, I've not done wire management yet.  I'll get more pics up soon.

I'll update this post more as I get more pics up

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Original post:

So as some of you may know there's been some changes recently with me but instead of dwelling on them, as this isn't the right place for that, I'll get right into the changes that have been made to my system since my previous thread.

First things first, there's been some serious addition by subtraction:

- Gone are the game systems. No real need for them anymore now that I've switched to PC gaming only. While it means there are some good console games I'm missing out on I'm OK with that. I'd rather focus one one platform and the PC gives me the best bang for my buck. I just wish we'd stop seeing so many console ports.

- Also gone is the Uverse tv service (still have Uverse internet though). Again, good reason for that. Windows Media Center. I use OTA combined with Netflix and Hulu plugins for just about whatever I want to with tv. Besides, most of the tv I watch is on the local channels anyway so that was $70 or so a month I was only too glad to save. Plus I don't really watch much tv anyway and when I have my son he's more than satisfied with Netflix streaming of all his favorite cartoons like Caillou and Thomas the Train lol. The built-in DVR is very close to what I had with Uverse so it was an easy transition for me. It's much faster in response time too. Overall like the game switch this was something I don't regret doing at all.

Those are the two main changes to my system. I've decided to go the computer route as my main media center/server/source/etc. and frankly it's something I should have done a long time ago. There were reasons why I didn't but needless to say with having to only answer to myself it's a much easier proposition to make and accept lol. I'm in the process of deciding how best to build a NAS. I've thought about purchasing a pre-built unit like one from HP or WD but I have an extra mobo with an older Phenom quadcore that's not really doing much so I think I might buy another case, slap it in, load Windows Media Server along with a nice Raid and call it a day. It's the cheaper of the options plus it offers me the most flexibility. Here are my current specs since this is a post your setup thread and it's part of my setup:

Phenom II 965 OCed to 3.912 @ 1.425v
8GB OCZ OCZ3G1333LV8GQ @ 9-9-9-20
Gigabyte GA-890GPA-UD3H
Diamond Radeon 5770 CF @ 875/1300 on stock voltage - CCC 10.12a
Lite-On iHOS104-08 4x BD drive
Creative Soundblaster X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty Professional Series
Killer 2100 gigabit network card
OCZ 700W MODXSTREAM PRO
Diamond ATI TV Wonder 750 USB
Intel 40GB SSD boot disc
WD 650GB Caviar Blue programs drive
WD 1TB Caviar Green media drive
Windows 7 X64
PowerDVD 8 BD edition
MS X5 Sidewinder gaming mouse
MS X4 Sidewinder keyboard
360 wired controller

I'm pretty happy with it to be honest. I could have gone for a higher-end card but at the time I really didn't see the need. I actually received the second 5770 as a gift and figured I'd give Crossfire a try. Because my display is limited to 1360x768 it's not like I'm really gaining a whole bunch from doing this but there are differences and I'm happy with it.

Now, for the rest of the system. The only thing that's changed is the Velodyne sub is gone and the rears have been upgraded to WB-14s from the RSX3s that were there before. I'm still trying to get the old rears but there's some legal hurdles I'm having to jump through right now so yeah lol. Oh yeah I have a replacement for the 50A450 I ad. I just needed a tv in a pinch and got a really good deal on the 50C450 so I went with that. It's 720p but I'm sure I've stated my case before on the whole 720 v 1080 issue, especially when it comes to budget. Now when I upgrade in size to a 58 or 63 it's no longer gonna be an issue but until then I'm happy with it. Anyway I'll go ahead and list the equipment now and show you some crappy cell phone pics I've taken. Keep in mind the quality of the pictures and the not quite up to snuff fit and finish of the system. The rears aren't mounted, the speaker wire isn't hidden, the wire cover isn't painted yet, There's no real cable management behind the stand, and the antenna situation...well, lol I've gotta get that sorted out. Still, it's a quick shot into a work in progress so without further delay:

Samsung PN-50C450
Denon AVR-4802
Harman Kardon PA-5800
Monster HTPS7000
AT&T Uverse Router
APC XS1200 UPS
Coolermaster HAF 922 HTPC (specs listed above)
Klipsch RF-25 mains
Klipsch RC-35 center
Klipsch RW8 sub (ifi edition)
Klipsch WB-14 rears
Sanus NF213 video stand
Panasonic RP-HTX7 headphones for late night listening.
Harmony 550

I also have a Radiient Select4 4 port HDMI switch but because I only use my computer it sits dormant for right now. I leave it there so when/if I add something I have an easy way of doing it. Now for the pics:

Whole front-end shot

Desktop. Notice also the super ghetto antenna setup I'm using at the moment. That will change soon enough.

Note the USB hub positioned where it can connect my keyboard, mouse, 360 controller, and mic or dongle cable should I need it. I think it's a clean solution.

Another shot of the USB hub

Right rear speaker. I had to prop it up so it'd be the same height as the left surround channel. Temporary of course until I can get them mounted on the wall and run track hiding the surround speaker cable.

Left rear. Again, temp placement until it gets mounted. Also, pay no attention to the diapers in the background. lol

Front left speaker.

Front right, along with RW-8 ifi edition sub. The couch along the wall does crowd it over there but it's not that big a deal and it doesn't block the tweeter so I don't really care. It's the price to pay to have two couches in such a small area.

My totally badass gaming/htpc. It's large but awesome. I love it. I'm so gald I got back into building PCs. I can turn the LEDs on the fans off as well as the temp mon screen so there's no distractions at night while watching a movie or playing a game.

Top down view of the entertainment stand with center speaker on top.

Can't really tell the quality of the picture in this shot since it's from a crappy cell phone cam. What you can tell though is the need for paint on the wire cover and the lack of style with the cables dangling down from the antenna. In due time that will be solved. On the positive though the image on this tv is outstanding. I'm impressed every day what Samsung has been able to do with such a budget tv.

360 controller, keyboard, mouse, remote, Kindle 3 up top, along with a race car in the background lol.

Two of the best movies of all time and Harrison Ford stars in both. He's such a badass.

That pretty much describes my system at the moment. It's a work in progress and as long as I re-up my lease this upcoming year I won't have to make any drastic changes. I'll definitely keep the thread updated picture-wise as I get a better camera (heh I don't have to tell you why I don't have my old one lol). Thanks to you guys for sticking with me here as I know I said I'd get this up on here forever now but hey life happens, ya know?

Oh yeah, last but certainly not least my wingman and super helper:

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 159 Old 12-29-2010, 09:35 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked: 182
First and foremost you son is a cool dude. Secondly that PC looks like a beast. So do you have blu ray ripped on your PC?

Frank

post #3 of 159 Old 12-29-2010, 09:43 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Yeah he's been a big boy handling all this change over the past 10 or so months. He's pretty much what I live for. Well that and my computer.

Speaking of, yeah it's a beast. It's a mid-tower. I didn't want to go full tower like the HAF-932 as that was just a bit too big. It's plenty fast (SSDs rock, I will never go back to a regular HDD for a boot disc), and plays BDs buttery smooth. I have a few ripped to the media drive just as a test to see how it works with Media Center. They play just fine but to be honest I'm not really that concerned about dumping them all to the HDDs just yet. That's what my media server is going to be for and it's going to be a bit before I get it up and running. Until then the BD drive does an excellent job. Discs load super fast and the audio, while lossy, is pretty damn good. I'm in no hurry to use the analog outs on the soundcard or upgrade my receiver to HDMI so standard DD and DTS will have to do. No worries, in due time.
post #4 of 159 Old 12-29-2010, 09:56 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcweber111 View Post

Yeah he's been a big boy handling all this change over the past 10 or so months. He's pretty much what I live for. Well that and my computer.

Speaking of, yeah it's a beast. It's a mid-tower. I didn't want to go full tower like the HAF-932 as that was just a bit too big. It's plenty fast (SSDs rock, I will never go back to a regular HDD for a boot disc), and plays BDs buttery smooth. I have a few ripped to the media drive just as a test to see how it works with Media Center. They play just fine but to be honest I'm not really that concerned about dumping them all to the HDDs just yet. That's what my media server is going to be for and it's going to be a bit before I get it up and running. Until then the BD drive does an excellent job. Discs load super fast and the audio, while lossy, is pretty damn good. I'm in no hurry to use the analog outs on the soundcard or upgrade my receiver to HDMI so standard DD and DTS will have to do. No worries, in due time.

I was contemplating doing a media server for blu ray but I was told they don't have audio cards that can handle dts hd ma or Dolby true hd is that true?

Frank

post #5 of 159 Old 12-29-2010, 10:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 100 Post(s)
Liked: 273
Holy smokes, that is one sweet lookin' PC you built! That's the kind of rig Jules would own. You know, the one that says bad MF on it.

It's good to see the new pcweber revised HT 2.0. I like it. That last pic of your son by the Klipsch speaker is awesome! Start 'em while they're young.

Growing Older But Not Up
post #6 of 159 Old 12-29-2010, 10:17 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Franin: Nah any of the 5K or 6K series cards from AMD can do lossless and PCM via HDMI. Same with the new 4 and 5 series from Nvidia. If you don't have one then yeah as far as I'm aware none can do it. I don't believe there's a sound card out there that can do lossless via analog outs. My X-fi is pretty top end and it can't. Sucks too because it'd be nice but eh I can wait.

Waboman, thanks man. Jules and I think alike. As for starting him off young oh yeah he's definitely gonna follow in the old mans footsteps. He's already learned how to plug and unplug a speaker cable lol. It's caused many a curious look on my part when I Fire up the system and don't get anything out of the two front speakers lol.
post #7 of 159 Old 12-29-2010, 10:19 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waboman View Post

Start 'em while they're young.

"Always two there are, a master and an apprentice." Yoda.

Frank

post #8 of 159 Old 12-29-2010, 10:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franin View Post

Always two there are, a master and an apprentice." Yoda.

Lol. One I constantly say to the wife: "It's not my fault." - Han Solo

Growing Older But Not Up
post #9 of 159 Old 12-29-2010, 10:25 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

ha ha I like it.

Frank

post #10 of 159 Old 12-29-2010, 10:32 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Quote:

ha ha I like it.

What, Greedo shot first!
post #11 of 159 Old 12-29-2010, 10:37 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Very happy to see your new thread! Blade Runner is at the top of my movie list as well.
post #12 of 159 Old 12-29-2010, 10:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Waboman, thanks man. Jules and I think alike. As for starting him off young oh yeah he's definitely gonna follow in the old mans footsteps. He's already learned how to plug and unplug a speaker cable lol. It's caused many a curious look on my part when I Fire up the system and don't get anything out of the two front speakers lol.

Lol. Great story and image. I can just see you getting all comfortable in your chair, firing up the system, and there's no sound coming out of the speakers. Ya just gotta laugh.

P.S. Greedo did shoot first.

Growing Older But Not Up
post #13 of 159 Old 12-29-2010, 11:06 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Lol. Great story and image. I can just see you getting all comfortable in your chair, firing up the system, and there's no sound coming out of the speakers. Ya just gotta laugh.

P.S. Greedo did shoot first.

Been there. Done that. Multiple times now. lol
post #14 of 159 Old 12-29-2010, 11:33 PM

Wow, what a system. The PC looks bad ass, the kid looks like he's gonna grow up to be a HT/PC buff as well, starting him down a good (albeit expensive) path. Gotta love Blade Runner, i managed to get the limited edition copy of it on HD-DVD rather cheap which was good, with the VK box and everything. Must be great to kick back in there and watch movies!
post #15 of 159 Old 12-30-2010, 02:10 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Franin: Nah any of the 5K or 6K series cards from AMD can do lossless and PCM via HDMI. Same with the new 4 and 5 series from Nvidia. If you don't have one then yeah as far as I'm aware none can do it. I don't believe there's a sound card out there that can do lossless via analog outs. My X-fi is pretty top end and it can't. Sucks too because it'd be nice but eh I can wait.

When your saying 5k or 6k series cards from AMD are we talking model or price??

Frank

post #16 of 159 Old 12-30-2010, 04:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Hey PC

I hope I speak for all of us here on WYSC that you are:

Wait for it:

Here it comes:

Play it boys:

Great looking system especially the HTPC. I have a similar system but in a much cheaper PC case. I have the Phenom II x2 550 Black Edition unlocked to three cores on a Asus M4A79XTD-EVO with 8 GB of OCZ 1600 (only running at 1170MHz but with the timing of 7-7-7-16 due to the limitations of the processor). I also have the same Graphics card but mine is the XFX 5770.
I have a Asus M4A79T DELUXE waiting in the wings, waiting on the Phenom 6 core to come down in price some more. Once that happens I will post pics of the build.

Please enjoy the rest of your time off with your great looking son and I hope you have a great 2011.

Hometheatergeek

aka AL
----------
My Current System
post #17 of 159 Old 12-30-2010, 06:43 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotchip View Post

Wow, what a system. The PC looks bad ass, the kid looks like he's gonna grow up to be a HT/PC buff as well, starting him down a good (albeit expensive) path. Gotta love Blade Runner, i managed to get the limited edition copy of it on HD-DVD rather cheap which was good, with the VK box and everything. Must be great to kick back in there and watch movies!

Hey thanks! I kinda wish I'd picked up the briefcase version when I had the chance. Ah well. Anyway I like the results so far. Games kick ass and movies do as well. The only issue is that I have no ir control over Media Center at the moment. I'm going to pick up an usb > ir plugin that will allow the Harmony to talk to the computer and control Media Center like it's a regular front-end. I can't wait.

Quote:

When your saying 5k or 6k series cards from AMD are we talking model or price??

I mean the model numbers, i.e. 5450, 5570, 5770, 5870 (among others) or 6850, 6870, 6950, or 6970. They all bitstream HD audio so you just need a player that can decode the stream (PwerDVD 10, etc.). The Nvidia versions would be the 460, 470, 480, or 570, 580, etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hometheatergeek View Post

Hey PC

I hope I speak for all of us here on WYSC that you are:

Wait for it:

Here it comes:

Play it boys:

*snip*

Great looking system especially the HTPC. I have a similar system but in a much cheaper PC case. I have the Phenom II x2 550 Black Edition unlocked to three cores on a Asus M4A79XTD-EVO with 8 GB of OCZ 1600 (only running at 1170MHz but with the timing of 7-7-7-16 due to the limitations of the processor). I also have the same Graphics card but mine is the XFX 5770.
I have a Asus M4A79T DELUXE waiting in the wings, waiting on the Phenom 6 core to come down in price some more. Once that happens I will post pics of the build.

Please enjoy the rest of your time off with your great looking son and I hope you have a great 2011.

Hey thanks Al. Believe it or not I got all the stuff in my system for far below msrp. The case especially. It was practically free, which worked out lol. I'm going for a smaller case for the media server. I'm also considering upgrading the video cards but more than likely won't for right now because A. they play all my games at pretty much max detail at the resolution I play at (outside of Crysis and Metro 2033), and B. already mentioned is that because my tv is 720p it'd be serious overkill. The Crossfire is really almost overkill as it is but I'm satisfied with the results. Keep us updated on your new build once you get it done. I wanna see.
post #18 of 159 Old 12-30-2010, 09:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcweber111
... it'd be serious overkill.
Overkill is underrated - Col. Hannibal Smith

Growing Older But Not Up
post #19 of 159 Old 12-30-2010, 09:19 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcweber111

Hey thanks! I kinda wish I'd picked up the briefcase version when I had the chance. Ah well. Anyway I like the results so far. Games kick ass and movies do as well. The only issue is that I have no ir control over Media Center at the moment. I'm going to pick up an usb > ir plugin that will allow the Harmony to talk to the computer and control Media Center like it's a regular front-end. I can't wait.

I mean the model numbers, i.e. 5450, 5570, 5770, 5870 (among others) or 6850, 6870, 6950, or 6970. They all bitstream HD audio so you just need a player that can decode the stream (PwerDVD 10, etc.). The Nvidia versions would be the 460, 470, 480, or 570, 580, etc.
Ah cool I thought that was the price of the audio cards.

Frank

post #20 of 159 Old 12-31-2010, 12:20 AM

Nice thread pc, well done!

Hope you have a great New Year!
post #21 of 159 Old 12-31-2010, 02:08 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Happy new year pcweber111 best wishes for 2011

Frank

post #22 of 159 Old 01-01-2011, 12:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Happy New Year, PC. Lets keep on rockin'.

Growing Older But Not Up
post #23 of 159 Old 11-05-2011, 02:28 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 50
You have a great system and those Klipsch are cool. I'm slowly surrounding myself with them as well. Your son is cute!! JT
post #24 of 159 Old 11-05-2011, 03:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 1364
Hey Weber man, don't know the specifics but after reading your post I gather a sensitive issue is at hand. I admire your positive perspective. I hope it's okay to mention, I'm keeping you and yours in prayer.

No more gaming consoles, really? JK, you're light years ahead of me.

Spinning the rear tire at 150mph while at 3/4 lean angle will put wrinkles in your seat
post #25 of 159 Old 11-06-2011, 07:47 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Hey thanks. It's been over a year now and everything is much better. I've actually totally redone the room and need to post updated shots. Not much has changed in what I have aside from the PC getting a makeover (again).

As for the consoles, yeah I had fun with them but with the move to PC gaming I really haven't regretted it. I did rebuy a PS3 for BD in the bedroom but I think that's about as far as I'm going to go with the consoles. I just don't want to get sucked back into buying them and amassing a collection again. Of course I am getting the itch to buy a DSXL for some portable metroid and castlevania love as I really do miss those games. I don't really know why I sold them to begin with lol. I only wanted to get rid of the consoles but I think I just needed a clean break from everything (plus reduce my liability for the divorce). I might go and get a DSXL again pretty soon. It's nice to take on trips too as my phone games don't really do it for me.
post #26 of 159 Old 11-06-2011, 08:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Hello PC, Nice to see you dropping in on the WYSC family. I've been scarce myself. I can't believe it's been a year since the last time we talked. I bet your son has gotten big. When you get around to posting new pics of you system don't forget to include a pic of him. You keeping the Klipsch speakers busy? Have you seen Thor or Captain America yet? Wife and I enjoyed both of them.

Hometheatergeek

aka AL
----------
My Current System
post #27 of 159 Old 11-06-2011, 09:40 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 50
pcweber I'm sorry to hear of you toubles and I will keep you in my thoughts. JT
post #28 of 159 Old 11-06-2011, 01:13 PM
Bass Enabler

Quoted: 141 Post(s)
Liked: 638
Quote:

Overkill is underrated - Col. Hannibal Smith

Werd.

Awesome system, pcweber!

My Dual 18" LLT subs 120dB down to 10hz

Plan9Reloaded Co-host

Listen to the Plan9Reloaded Gaming and Technology Podcast (may contain NSFW language)

https://soundcloud.com/plan9reloaded/sets/podcast - direct pod link

http://plan9reloaded.com/site/ - main website

post #29 of 159 Old 11-06-2011, 04:15 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Hey AL, thanks but I do come here just about every day. I lurk more now than post but do a history and you'll see I've been here pretty consistently.

As for the speakers, yeah I'm keeping them busy. Haven't seen either CA or Thor although I want to. I did just pick up Cars 2 and although I really didn't like it as much as the first one the kiddo does so we watched it together and he enjoyed it. Pretty lively audio too.

I need to go ahead and get some shots and post. I'll try to this week, depends on how much free time I have. Works takes up so much time but I'll get it done. Need to clean though lol.

Thanks for the kind words jnnt29, I appreciate it.
post #30 of 159 Old 11-16-2011, 12:14 PM

Liked: 13
Hi PC. Nice set up and seems very similar to mine. Just upgraded my TV and since I've gone from 720p to 1080p, time to upgrade my GPU so I can get and play BF3 and MW3 in their full glory .

I was considering doing what you did for TV, and consider Netflix + Hulu Prime + Sidereel to be sufficient to move away from cable. How has it been working for you over the past year? I do watch a lot of shows but 95% of them are either on Hulu or Netflix, another 4% on the TV website, and 1% unavailable on either.

Because great sound fills the room, shakes the house, breaks hearts, stirs souls, and always will
Reply What's Your System Configuration

Tags
Denon , Denon Avr X4000 7 2 Channel Home Theater Receiver , Denon 3d Blu Ray Disc Player Dbt 1713ud , Klipsch Reference Series Rf 82 , Svs Pb1000 10 Inch 300 Watt Powered Subwoofer
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page