post #541 of 1106 Old 05-11-2013, 11:10 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 144 Post(s)
Liked: 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrolicBeast View Post

I do this as well--sometimes, just for the heck of it. Jriver is one of those systems that requires a little work to manage, but the experience it provides in return is absolutely amazing! My blu ray collection is collecting dust upstairs, and having access to so many movies using the interface (and the seamless integration with my Harmony 900 remote) make it the single best thing I've ever added to my system. I never would have thought that the single best addition to my theater would also be the cheapest--a $50 piece of software.
I do like the look and feel of Jriver. It is very easy to navigate and it's cool to see what you have visually like that. I am slowly moving along on my BR's. I am not quite done yet though putting them on my server. It will still be a bit longer. But when they are all on, it will be very cool.

It ain't easy being green.
My System
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #542 of 1106 Old 05-23-2013, 08:55 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I have been putting a lot of stuff on the server so I really have not watched much yet from the server. But last night I had the chance too. I watched Mission Impossible: Ghost Protocol. It looked incredibly good. The color and detail were just fantastic. Plus the SQ was top notch. It had all the impact it should. But there was a bonus for me. I have the OPPO 83 as my BR player. When I played this movie in the player, I would get a lot of audio drop outs during the sand storm scene. There were at least 5 of them. While watching it on the server, it just sailed right through that part with no problem at all. I was very pleased with the whole presentation. Plus, just having the movie start to play when you click play, without having to choose a language, and then all the previews, I admit is pretty cool. I had audio drop outs on TF DOTM as well but I am going to assume that when I watch it on the server, I won't have any with that film either. It is so cool. I fought it as long as could but I am glad I gave in biggrin.gif. If you don't want to, or can't build your own, I can highly recommend the Baetis media server. I just love it. And it's a lot more affordable then the Kaleidescape systems. Granted there may be a bit more user work involved, but I am very happy with what I have and I can have mine display the movies, and give movie info just like that system. I will say it one more time. I love this system smile.gif.
Again, if you have any more really specific questions, or are interested in getting one, you can contact DMark1 on this forum. Other wise, you can ask me some general questions I can probably help you out.

My System
post #543 of 1106 Old 05-24-2013, 10:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Awesome stuff Mike! Glad you are enjoying the new toy cool.gif Do you notice any difference in feel with how the Crowson is now hooked up vs how it was set up before?
post #544 of 1106 Old 05-24-2013, 10:57 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Hey Claude. The only difference is now it is connected to the MV. So I just have to be careful when I watch a movie not to go crazy. But TRON, M.I and then The Bourne Legacy, which I watched night were all good. TRON and Mission Impossible were on the server and the Bourne movie was a BR. I have no complaints with the combo of the server and the Crowson. But, if I had a bigger room, where I had to really turn up the level, then having it connected to the MV might be an issue. But lucky for me I don't have that problem.

My System
post #545 of 1106 Old 05-24-2013, 11:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Thats great Mike! Glad everything worked out so well.
post #546 of 1106 Old 06-17-2013, 09:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 250 Post(s)
Liked: 351
Hey Mike,

Just checking to see what's up with those video gremlns you mentioned? Is it based in your HTPC? Or is it at the display level? You mentioned that there was a less-than-desireable solution. Would you mind sharing? If it's HTPC-based, it can probably be fixed in Jriver settings; however, if it's being sourced from your AVP or display, then things are far more complex.
post #547 of 1106 Old 06-17-2013, 11:01 AM
CIH USER

Quoted: 281 Post(s)
Liked: 293
Quote:
Originally Posted by MIkeDuke View Post

I have been putting a lot of stuff on the server so I really have not watched much yet from the server. But last night I had the chance too. I watched Mission Impossible: Ghost Protocol. It looked incredibly good. The color and detail were just fantastic. Plus the SQ was top notch. It had all the impact it should. But there was a bonus for me. I have the OPPO 83 as my BR player. When I played this movie in the player, I would get a lot of audio drop outs during the sand storm scene. There were at least 5 of them. While watching it on the server, it just sailed right through that part with no problem at all. I was very pleased with the whole presentation. Plus, just having the movie start to play when you click play, without having to choose a language, and then all the previews, I admit is pretty cool. I had audio drop outs on TF DOTM as well but I am going to assume that when I watch it on the server, I won't have any with that film either. It is so cool. I fought it as long as could but I am glad I gave in biggrin.gif. If you don't want to, or can't build your own, I can highly recommend the Baetis media server. I just love it. And it's a lot more affordable then the Kaleidescape systems. Granted there may be a bit more user work involved, but I am very happy with what I have and I can have mine display the movies, and give movie info just like that system. I will say it one more time. I love this system smile.gif.
Again, if you have any more really specific questions, or are interested in getting one, you can contact DMark1 on this forum. Other wise, you can ask me some general questions I can probably help you out.

Good to read it all worked out well for you Mike. Nothing worse than audio drop outs. smile.gif

Frank
post #548 of 1106 Old 06-17-2013, 11:29 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

OK Matt, here is the deal.
For a little while, before the server, I would get video issues. My entire screen would turn purple and if I turned the TV off and on again, it would return normal. This mainly happened with cable TV. I don't think I remember it happening with the OPPO. Also, let me say that the TV issue was not consistent. I could go weeks without an issue and then all of a sudden, every other day there was an issue. With the server the problem manifests itself in a different way. First off, when I first got the server everything was fine. I had no issues at all. I watched a few movies and it was smooth sailing. Now when I watch a movie from the server it starts off fine, then at some point the picture gets distorted. Not dis-colored like before but it's like you are looking at the screen through a kaleidoscope. The picture becomes like little blocks. If I turn the TV off and on again it corrects itself but I loose the audio signal and I have to restart the movie. But even that is not consistent now. A few days ago I watched A bridge too far. The video failed about 5 times during that movie. But last night, I watched almost all of Big Trouble in Little China without any issue.

PLUS, since you have Jriver you will under stand this. You know when you play music through Jriver, the program rotates static pictures that relate to the album or band? Well, again, that is from the server, just like the movies, but those pictures never become distorted at all. You would think that if it's a server issue, those rotating pictures would also become distorted, but they don't. Just so you remember I am using the Baetis HT server and not a home grown HTPC. So I have no idea what the issue is. It's just too inconsistent for me to try to make a diagnosis on my own. So, I am doing the hardest and most painful thing first. That is, I am going to send my Integra in to a service center. But I really have no idea if it's the Integra, my TV(which has failed me before) the server(which I doubt) or some cable issue. Whatever the issue is, it's a royal pain. So that's the deal. But I watched a movie through the OPPO the other day and there were no issues at all. I asked Integra if it was possible for only part of a HDMI board to go bad and they said that it was. So in theory, it's possible that the HDMI input for OPPO is fine, but the one for my server is not. Or, it could be some funky problem with TV be it an HDMI connection or something else. Who knows.

My System
post #549 of 1106 Old 06-18-2013, 10:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

OK Matt, here is the deal.
For a little while, before the server, I would get video issues. My entire screen would turn purple and if I turned the TV off and on again, it would return normal. This mainly happened with cable TV. I don't think I remember it happening with the OPPO. Also, let me say that the TV issue was not consistent. I could go weeks without an issue and then all of a sudden, every other day there was an issue. With the server the problem manifests itself in a different way. First off, when I first got the server everything was fine. I had no issues at all. I watched a few movies and it was smooth sailing. Now when I watch a movie from the server it starts off fine, then at some point the picture gets distorted. Not dis-colored like before but it's like you are looking at the screen through a kaleidoscope. The picture becomes like little blocks. If I turn the TV off and on again it corrects itself but I loose the audio signal and I have to restart the movie. But even that is not consistent now. A few days ago I watched A bridge too far. The video failed about 5 times during that movie. But last night, I watched almost all of Big Trouble in Little China without any issue.

PLUS, since you have Jriver you will under stand this. You know when you play music through Jriver, the program rotates static pictures that relate to the album or band? Well, again, that is from the server, just like the movies, but those pictures never become distorted at all. You would think that if it's a server issue, those rotating pictures would also become distorted, but they don't. Just so you remember I am using the Baetis HT server and not a home grown HTPC. So I have no idea what the issue is. It's just too inconsistent for me to try to make a diagnosis on my own. So, I am doing the hardest and most painful thing first. That is, I am going to send my Integra in to a service center. But I really have no idea if it's the Integra, my TV(which has failed me before) the server(which I doubt) or some cable issue. Whatever the issue is, it's a royal pain. So that's the deal. But I watched a movie through the OPPO the other day and there were no issues at all. I asked Integra if it was possible for only part of a HDMI board to go bad and they said that it was. So in theory, it's possible that the HDMI input for OPPO is fine, but the one for my server is not. Or, it could be some funky problem with TV be it an HDMI connection or something else. Who knows.

Oh my! That doesn't sound good at all. Before sending the Integra off, have you bypassed it, testing all sources in order to make sure it's not the TV itself? The only thing that concerns me is when you said movies sometimes look like "blocks" as this (to me, anyway) sounds like file-corruption. If that's the case, it's very possible for the meta data to be uncorrupted while some media files are corrupted. There's a hard drive test you can download to ensure your hard drives are not in danger of/beginning the process of corruption....if you google Hark disk stress test, it should pop up. Believe me, sending off the Integra is a tedious process (unplugging, boxing, shipping, waiting, receiving). It's best to eliminate all other possible causes before sending it...although you may have done all of that already.
post #550 of 1106 Old 06-18-2013, 10:51 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Hey Matt. No, I have not sent out the Integra yet. I was going to do it early July. Right now my cable TV works and my OPPO works. The only time I get the block style picture is from the server. That would really suck if my data is already corrupted since I have only had the thing since the beginning of May. If the data is almost corrupted, would that mean I would burn everything again? Man now that would suck since I have a ton of stuff already burned. I would hate to have to burn all that I did again. But as I mentioned, even though it hasn't happened in a while, I would get a different video issue with my TV before I had the server.

I guess I need to try and find a hard drive stress test. Is there one that you recommend? But again, I almost made it through one movie without an issues at all. If it is a bad drive, I am not going to look forward to burning everything again. I don't suppose a RAID system would have helped me out here. I mean, I did not get crappy cheap drives. I bought Seagate drives. I think they are the same ones Dennis bought for himself. I have two movies on the other drive I bought. I guess I could also watch one of those to see if I have any issues. If I make it through all the way, then maybe that other drive is going bad. If I don't make it through, then it's the drive(s) or something else. If it is the one drive, I just can't copy the data over to another driver right? Because it would still be corrupted. I will do that test and see what happens. Thanks for your thoughts and ideas Matt. I will keep you posted.

My System
post #551 of 1106 Old 06-18-2013, 06:26 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

OK. Just another update. I had two movies on my other drive. So, I decided to watch one of those. It happened on that drive as well. I think the chances of both drives failing are really remote. So that means it's an input somewhere. But I have no easy way of testing for that. So unless you can send me a link to a really good test for my hard drive, I am going to just send the Integra in for service and see if they find anything.

My System
post #552 of 1106 Old 06-18-2013, 07:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Hey Mike,

I think it's called HD Tune Up. But it doesn't sound like your hard drives since it happened with both. Well, if it's not the hard drive, and you've already ruled out the TV by bypassing the Integra, then it looks like sending in the Integra is indeed the next step. Do you still have an old Pre/Pro to hold you over until it returns?
post #553 of 1106 Old 06-19-2013, 05:20 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

OK. So again, last night I watched a movie on the other HD and that "failed" as well. So, as you say, I don't think it's the HD's and I don't think it's the server. But when I was watching regular cable last night, I got the purple screen. Just like I was getting before. To me that really made it clear that it was not the HD's or the server. I mean, couldn't it be the TV as well? Could a TV going bad act like this also? If I did it without noticing it, how did I bypass the TV with my tests? And no, I don't have an old preamp I can use so if I send it out, I will be down for as long as it takes for them to fix it.

My System
post #554 of 1106 Old 06-19-2013, 07:49 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 33
Hi Mike,

I've been following your thread, as I've been interested in the server aspect of your system. Being an IT guy, I'm always looking for ways to automate things. That being said, it doesn't sound to me that you have a server issue. The fact that, in a earlier post, you mentioned you were able to listen to music from the server without issue helps prove this. If the music is served up from the same drives, and the drives are failing, you'll likely have issues. It is very possible that the issue is with your TV. I've seen TVs and computer monitors do some weird things.
post #555 of 1106 Old 06-19-2013, 08:05 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

The music and movies are coming from different HD's but I still don't think it's a server or HD issue. I think this because as I said before, unfortunately, I have an issues when I watch regular TV and not the server. The only reason why I think it could be the TV is that I have an issue with TV before and I had to have a board replaced in it. Who's to say that something else has failed in the TV. But I have no easy way of trouble shooting the issue. If something were to just out right fail on me, things would be easier. But this kind of stuff is like trying to herd cat's. But here's the real pain. The issues aren't even the same eek.gif. With the server I get the block, style kaleidoscope issue. When I watch regular TV, the entire screen turns purple. WTF.

It's very difficult because it is not consistent. Even though it's just two devices now that I think it could be, that does not make it any easier. It could be the HDMI connection(s) on the Integra. It could be the HDMI connection(s) on the TV. Or it could be a different internal board in the TV. There is just no easy way for me to know. I just wish something would completely fail so I would know for sure. But I appreciate your thoughts. Personally, I would rather it be the TV because that would be the easier thing for me to just replace rather then taking my Integra out of my system and then putting it back in which would be a real pain.

My System
post #556 of 1106 Old 06-19-2013, 08:10 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 33
Rather than disconnect your Integra, do you have another TV that you can use temporarily? Anything with an HDMI in should allow you to test and hopefully eliminate the Integra as the issue.
post #557 of 1106 Old 06-19-2013, 08:22 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Nope, that's the thing. I don't have any other video display I can try. No other TV, computer monitor, nothing. That's why I am kind of hosed on what to do.

My System
post #558 of 1106 Old 06-19-2013, 09:14 AM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 126 Post(s)
Liked: 358
Quote:

The music and movies are coming from different HD's but I still don't think it's a server or HD issue. I think this because as I said before, unfortunately, I have an issues when I watch regular TV and not the server. The only reason why I think it could be the TV is that I have an issue with TV before and I had to have a board replaced in it. Who's to say that something else has failed in the TV. But I have no easy way of trouble shooting the issue. If something were to just out right fail on me, things would be easier. But this kind of stuff is like trying to herd cat's. But here's the real pain. The issues aren't even the same eek.gif. With the server I get the block, style kaleidoscope issue. When I watch regular TV, the entire screen turns purple. WTF.
Mike,

When the screen turns purple, do you need to re-boot the entire system to correct the problem, or does power cycling the TV correct the problem? And does this only happen when watching the cable TV box, or does it happen with other sources as well?
Quote:

It's very difficult because it is not consistent. Even though it's just two devices now that I think it could be, that does not make it any easier. It could be the HDMI connection(s) on the Integra. It could be the HDMI connection(s) on the TV. Or it could be a different internal board in the TV. There is just no easy way for me to know. I just wish something would completely fail so I would know for sure. But I appreciate your thoughts. Personally, I would rather it be the TV because that would be the easier thing for me to just replace rather then taking my Integra out of my system and then putting it back in which would be a real pain.
Wheter your TV has an issue or not, I think you definitely have an issue with the HDMI board in your Integra. It's a well-documented problem. If it would help, I can run up there and disconnect the Integra, label all the interconnects and speakers cables and box it up for shipment to Integra service. I could do it this weekend, or one evening next week.

Craig

Lombardi said it:
Perfection is not attainable, but if we chase perfection we can catch excellence."

My System

post #559 of 1106 Old 06-19-2013, 09:52 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by craig john View Post

Mike,

When the screen turns purple, do you need to re-boot the entire system to correct the problem, or does power cycling the TV correct the problem? And does this only happen when watching the cable TV box, or does it happen with other sources as well?
Wheter your TV has an issue or not, I think you definitely have an issue with the HDMI board in your Integra. It's a well-documented problem. If it would help, I can run up there and disconnect the Integra, label all the interconnects and speakers cables and box it up for shipment to Integra service. I could do it this weekend, or one evening next week.

Craig
Hey Craig. Thanks for chiming in. To your first question (purple screen), just power cycling the TV "fixes" the issue. I think the purple screen has only happened when I watch TV. I really can't remember if it ever did it with regular movies with the OPPO. I will probably watch some movies just with the OPPO to see what happens. The jagged video is only fixed when I completely stop the movie from the server and start it again. But now it happens with every movie I try to watch from the server. The purple screen is not consistent. At least it wasn't. I went a while between issues of purple. Now it may be happening a bit more often. Of course it had to get bad now right mad.gif. Just when I am about to be off for a week and I was looking forward to some ripping and watching.

Again, as I mentioned before, I think of you more then just a gofer. Also,I know it's a haul for you. Probably the last thing you want to do after work or on a nice weekend is spend I don't know how many hours taking my system apart. I think me and you know who wink.gif will give it a go at taking the cables out and labeling them. If we do it carefully, and just take our time, we may be able to do it. Then we can ship it off for service. When I get it back, it would be awesome if you could help me re-connect everything. If worse comes to worse, we try to un do everything and we see it's just impossible, then I would take you up on your offer to disconnect everything. Thanks again Craig. I will let you how our adventure goes. Wish me luck. I will probably try this early July so I am not down the entire time I am home.

My System
post #560 of 1106 Old 06-19-2013, 10:07 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:

Hey Craig. Thanks for chiming in. To your first question (purple screen), just power cycling the TV "fixes" the issue.
This would seem to indicate a problem with the TV. However, power cycling the TV would re-initiate the HDMI "handshake", so I guess it's still possible that it's an HDMI board issue in the Integra. The next time it happens, instead of power cycling the TV, try changing inputs on the Integra and see if that corrects it. Then go back to the cable TV input and see if the TV is still purple. This will also re-initiate the HDMI "handshake" and it will tell us if the problem lies in the Integra or the TV.
Quote:

I think the purple screen has only happened when I watch TV. I really can't remember if it ever did it with regular movies with the OPPO. I will probably watch some movies just with the OPPO to see what happens. The jagged video is only fixed when I completely stop the movie from the server and start it again. But now it happens with every movie I try to watch from the server. The purple screen is not consistent. At least it wasn't. I went a while between issues of purple. Now it may be happening a bit more often. Of course it had to get bad now right mad.gif. Just when I am about to be off for a week and I was looking forward to some ripping and watching.
The next time this happens with the server, do the same thing I described above; change inputs instaed of re-starting the server. Also, once the server is functional again, go back to the point where the problem occurred and play it again. See if it happens again at the same point. This will tell us if the data are corrupted.
Quote:

Again, as I mentioned before, I think of you more then just a gofer. Also,I know it's a haul for you. Probably the last thing you want to do after work or on a nice weekend is spend I don't know how many hours taking my system apart. I think me and you know who wink.gif will give it a go at taking the cables out and labeling them. If we do it carefully, and just take our time, we may be able to do it. Then we can ship it off for service. When I get it back, it would be awesome if you could help me re-connect everything. If worse comes to worse, we try to un do everything and we see it's just impossible, then I would take you up on your offer to disconnect everything. Thanks again Craig. I will let you how our adventure goes. Wish me luck. I will probably try this early July so I am not down the entire time I am home.
To be honest, Mike, if I'm going to be the guy hooking everything back up, I would just as soon be the guy taking it apart. I don't mind the drive. I just put on some good tunes, turn on the radar detector and try to avoid the speed traps on the turnpike. smile.gif It only takes about an hour and 20 minutes to get there.

CRaig
MIkeDuke likes this.

Lombardi said it:
Perfection is not attainable, but if we chase perfection we can catch excellence."

My System

post #561 of 1106 Old 06-19-2013, 10:32 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Thanks again Craig. I will try those tests you mentioned. Since you said that you would like to be the guy taking it apart since you will be connecting everything for me, then I will go on your schedule. You just let me know what day(if it's a weekend) or night(if it's during the week) is good for you. Really whenever. Don't worry about what I said about being down for the week I am home. If it works out that this Sat or a day next week works for you, that is cool. Just let me know a head of time so I can dust biggrin.gif.

My System
post #562 of 1106 Old 06-19-2013, 10:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Mike,

Is your Cable box hooked up to the Integra or directly to the TV?
If its hooked up to your Integra and then goes from the Integra to the TV, it may be a good idea to bypass the Integra and connect the cable box directly to the TV - if the cables and connections are easy to get to. If it continues to have the same issues with the Integra out of the loop, then it possible its more of an issue with the TV and not the Integra.

PS. If it’s a problem with the TV, there are some really impressive Panasonic VT60 and ZT series Plasma TVs that are supposed to be as good as some of the best 9G Kuros but with 3D. wink.gif
post #563 of 1106 Old 06-19-2013, 11:06 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Hey Claude, I am pretty sure that the cable box is connected directly to the TV, but I won't swear to it. It's kind of a mess back there and I did not connect everything. Craig did. If it is the TV, 50" is the max I could go. 60" would just be too big for me to try and fit between my racks. As it is, getting a 50" would be a pain because the TV stand I have now only holds up to a 46" TV so I would need a new stand as well. Again, I would need to measure the space I have between my racks to see if I could get a TV that is 50" and TV stand that would fit in between there. But let's do one thing at a time.

My System
post #564 of 1106 Old 06-19-2013, 11:25 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunga99 View Post

Mike,

Is your Cable box hooked up to the Integra or directly to the TV?
If its hooked up to your Integra and then goes from the Integra to the TV, it may be a good idea to bypass the Integra and connect the cable box directly to the TV - if the cables and connections are easy to get to. If it continues to have the same issues with the Integra out of the loop, then it possible its more of an issue with the TV and not the Integra.

PS. If it’s a problem with the TV, there are some really impressive Panasonic VT60 and ZT series Plasma TVs that are supposed to be as good as some of the best 9G Kuros but with 3D. wink.gif
Hi Claude,

It's been a while since I hooked everything up, but I'm virtually certain we ran the CATV box through the Integra. Mike, when you watch TV, your sound doesn't come from the TV, it comes from your speakers, correct? And when you switch to the cable TV, you don't have to change input on the TV, you just select the Cable input on your Integra, right?

Craig

Lombardi said it:

My System

post #565 of 1106 Old 06-19-2013, 11:35 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by craig john View Post

Hi Claude,

It's been a while since I hooked everything up, but I'm virtually certain we ran the CATV box through the Integra. Mike, when you watch TV, your sound doesn't come from the TV, it comes from your speakers, correct? And when you switch to the cable TV, you don't have to change input on the TV, you just select the Cable input on your Integra, right?

Craig
When I watch TV, sound does not come form my TV, only my speakers. And when I want to watch cable I just press the cable input on the Integra remote. I guess that answers that part of the question.

My System
post #566 of 1106 Old 06-19-2013, 11:54 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:

When I watch TV, sound does not come form my TV, only my speakers. And when I want to watch cable I just press the cable input on the Integra remote. I guess that answers that part of the question.
Yeah, so it's hooked up through the Integra. If the tests I suggested above don't yield the answers we need, we can try hooking the Cable Box directly to the TV. Mike, what is the model # of your TV? I need to check if it has more than one HDMI input.

Lombardi said it:

My System

post #567 of 1106 Old 06-19-2013, 12:02 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

It's the Panasonic Model TCP42G25. I think according to the specs it has 3 HDMI inputs. Again, the problem is the purple thing may not happen for a while or not at all. The jagged picture has been pretty consistent because it happens every time I watch the server. Maybe a half hour in or sometimes an hour into the movie.

My System
post #568 of 1106 Old 06-19-2013, 12:10 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:

It's the Panasonic Model TCP42G25. I think according to the specs it has 3 HDMI inputs. Again, the problem is the purple thing may not happen for a while or not at all. The jagged picture has been pretty consistent because it happens every time I watch the server. Maybe a half hour in or sometimes an hour into the movie.
Mike,

Have you talked to Dennis about this? If this macro-blocking problem is isolated just to the server, he should contact Baetis about this. I was there when Dennis installed the sever and we experienced the problem that first day. Had you ever noticed that problem prior to installing the server, or with any other input than the server?

Craig

Lombardi said it:

My System

post #569 of 1106 Old 06-19-2013, 12:22 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

He is on vacation and I won't be able to get a hold of him until after the 21st when he comes back. The is no other blocking issue besides with the server. But again, when you were at my place, the issues with the image flicker or blocking was in the background(widows O.S). I played a number of movies and it worked fine. Now the blocking happens in the movie and when I get out of the movie and I am in the Windows background, it's still blocky. The only other issue is the purple screen.

My System
post #570 of 1106 Old 06-19-2013, 12:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Craig/Mike,

There's also something else you might want to try when Craig gets up there. Reading about this purple screen issue reminded me of when I had my cable box hooked up to one of my other TVs via HDMI to DVI wire connection. It would do this same exact thing every once and a while but my cable box was hooked up directly to my TV.

Just like you, powering everything off usually fixes it or powering cycling the cable box usually fixed it until I went into the Menu setting of the cable box and changing the color space. I cant remember what is was originally set to but changing it from either one of the below fixed it.

"Auto" to "YCC 4:4:4"
or
"Auto" to "RGB"
or
"YCC 4:4:4" to "RGB" or vice versa

One of these changes I made fixed the purple screen issue that would sometimes occur. ( I am pretty sure this was a Motorolla DVR cable box from Comcast at the time).

There's a specific way to get into these settings of the cable box. If I remember correctly -
You had to leave the TV powered on.
Then using the Cable Box remote, you had to turn hit the Power button so the cable box would be off but the TV would be on.
Next push the Menu button on the Cable box remote and this would show the Menu user settings of the Cable box.
From this Menu User settings, I would then scroll down to a HDMI settings and change the color space from whatever the default was to either RGB or YCC and that fixed the problem.

I dont know if this will fix your TV color problem since my issue probably had to deal with an HDMI to DVI cable but it was doing this same purple screen thing that you mentioned. It may be a long shot but might be worth taking a look it. It used to drive me nuts that some times I would power everthing on and the screen would be purple-ish and other times it would work fine so I started playing around with these settting which eventually fixed the issue.

Thx,
Claude
Reply What's Your System Configuration

Tags
Velodyne Sms 1 In Room Bass Correction Kit With Included Microphone , Oppo Bdp 83 Blu Ray Player , Monster Signature Series Home Theater Reference Htps 7000 Mkii Powersource With Dual Balanced Pure P , Playstation 3 160gb System , Panasonic Viera Tc P42g25 42 Inch 1080p Plasma Hdtv , Onkyo Integra Dtr80 3
Gear in this thread - P42g25 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page