post #811 of 1070 Old 09-24-2013, 09:56 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 115 Post(s)
Liked: 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrolicBeast View Post

Oh yeah, stuttering video is far from inconsequential. I'm sorry to hear you're experiencing that. I hope you got your Bleach episodes all ripped before this started happening. wink.gif I'd have a number ot settings suggestions to share if your Blu Ray rips were stuttering, but if it's just the DVD rips then it must indeed be the way the MKVrips occur. Have you tried playing the MKV files from a flash drive directly through your Oppo's USB port? This will help you determine if it's the MKV file itself, or a setting in Jriver. I would imagine that little attention is paid to DVD file playback in program design these days, so it could definitely be a program issue that needs to be rectified. If I'm not mistaken, I believe quicktime plays MKV files as well. Try the "Open with" option and see if quicktime or Windows Media Plaer will play the file back smoothly. (trying to rule out the file itself before you switch programs.)
Bleach looks fine. Those are AVI files that I downloaded so I have not had any issue with them at all. I talked to Jriver, they gave me a few settings to try and it really did not do anything. When you try to open it with quicktime, do you mean in the back end of my server and just right click on a movie and select the open with option? If I do that, then won't I just be opening it in the back end of Jriver(Windows side?). And let's say quicktime does play it back smoothly, then what? I am in a quandary because playing movies through quicktime won't do it for me at this point.

It ain't easy being green.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #812 of 1070 Old 09-24-2013, 11:49 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Like I told Mike already, the first thing I think he should try is ripping one of the DVDs (one that has the choppy MKV file playback) using AnyDVD and see if that gives him a better rip that is smooth.

Matt's suggestion of copying a choppy MKV DVD file onto a flash drive and playing it back thru the Oppo is a good one too. That way we can see if the issue is the ripped MKV file, or something else.

I think I set all the JRiver settings correctly, but Mike, did you double check all the settings as recommended by Baetis yet? You should be set to playback from RAM, using JRiver's video clock.

The only other thing I can think of is that increasing the RAM and the video buffer may help smooth things out. Although, if ripped Bluray files are playing fine, there should be plenty of RAM for DVD file playback. So, I think RAM is probably not the issue in this case.

Incidently, Baetis just approved JRiver 19 as stable for use on all Baetis servers. So, you may want to consider upgrading to V. 19 at some point. I think it costs less than $30 for the upgrade....

Fine Music, Movies, Wine, and Friends - A Life Well Lived!
post #813 of 1070 Old 09-24-2013, 12:18 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Hey Dennis, I can't get Anydvd to do anything (posts 805,807). I have it all setup. But there really is no "burn" button in AnyDVD. On their website, the program CloneDVD seems to do what I expect. Maybe that's the one I need to get. All the settings are correct in Jriver because I emailed them about this.
This is what John told me to do:
"Meanwhile, in JRiver it is very important – in Standard View/Tools/Options/Video – to have both Hardware accelerate and Video clock check-marked". I made sure they both were.

AnyDVD seems to just show you what's on the disk. I am not sure if that is absolutely needed. From the tutorial, it looks like CloneDVD will do what I want by itself.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #814 of 1070 Old 09-26-2013, 10:43 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I started a thread in the Plasma section and I also talked to a friend of mine. He thinks that the behavior I am describing is an encoding issue, not a TV or playback issue. Lucky for me, there is an easy way to find out. I am going to give DVDFAB9 a try. Man I hope that works.

post #815 of 1070 Old 09-27-2013, 06:55 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I thought I posted an update here but I guess I did not. In my other thread I posted a short version but here I will post the long version

OK. A big update . I checked the settings in the Integra(duh). Wouldn’t you know, it set the video output to 1080p/24. Well, since I found out my TV does not like the “24” part, I just dropped it down to straight 1080p. It look SO MUCH better. There choppiness is way down. But it’s still there a little bit. So I was also messing around in Jriver(back end). If you go to Tools/Options/Video/Display settings you will see a list of things to check. By default the first box is unchecked and the rest are not highlighted. But, if you check the first box, the ones underneath become available to you.

The problem is that there are something like 5 different sections and each section has its own set of video display options. I don’t know if I have to change one or all of them and I don’t know what I should change it too. Some I know are not for me because they are like 3xxx/4xxx options. But there are a number of 1080p options under each of the 5 headings to choose from. But, even if things stay the way they are, I could watch regular DVD’s now. For ex, I did not pay attention to see if one or all of them had a plain 1080p option. If one, or all do then I would probably try that. But what I don’t know is if have to change all of them or just one of them. So I think I am on my way. If any body reading this is familiar with those Jriver settings, any thoughts would be welcome smile.gif.

post #816 of 1070 Old 09-27-2013, 08:35 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Liked: 312
Quote:
Originally Posted by MIkeDuke View Post

I thought I posted an update here but I guess I did not. In my other thread I posted a short version but here I will post the long version

OK. A big update . I checked the settings in the Integra(duh). Wouldn’t you know, it set the video output to 1080p/24. Well, since I found out my TV does not like the “24” part, I just dropped it down to straight 1080p. It look SO MUCH better. There choppiness is way down. But it’s still there a little bit. So I was also messing around in Jriver(back end). If you go to Tools/Options/Video/Display settings you will see a list of things to check. By default the first box is unchecked and the rest are not highlighted. But, if you check the first box, the ones underneath become available to you.

The problem is that there are something like 5 different sections and each section has its own set of video display options. I don’t know if I have to change one or all of them and I don’t know what I should change it too. Some I know are not for me because they are like 3xxx/4xxx options. But there are a number of 1080p options under each of the 5 headings to choose from. But, even if things stay the way they are, I could watch regular DVD’s now. For ex, I did not pay attention to see if one or all of them had a plain 1080p option. If one, or all do then I would probably try that. But what I don’t know is if have to change all of them or just one of them. So I think I am on my way. If any body reading this is familiar with those Jriver settings, any thoughts would be welcome smile.gif.
Hi Mike,

I don't know the answer, but remember that DVD's are 480p, not 1080p. Look for that setting for DVD display in it's "native" resolution.

Craig

Lombardi said it:
Perfection is not attainable, but if we chase perfection we can catch excellence."

post #817 of 1070 Old 09-27-2013, 09:21 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by craig john View Post

Hi Mike,

I don't know the answer, but remember that DVD's are 480p, not 1080p. Look for that setting for DVD display in it's "native" resolution.

Craig
The thing is, I don't know if you can be that specific between types of media. I think it's an all or nothing deal so I need to find the one that looks the best on my TV for both.

post #818 of 1070 Old 10-11-2013, 06:13 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Well, I don't know if it's the nature of the media, but I watched a dvd ripped version of a Stevie Ray Vaughn concert I have and it looked great. No jagged look at all(I guess dropping the /24 worked in the Integra.) I still have not looked in Jriver to look at all the options yet, but I am very happy with how it looked. When I get a chance to look at a regular movie where I really noticed it to see how it looks, I will report back. It may not be for a bit but I will when I can. I am curious to see what option is selected in Jriver because I forget what I left it on. But I do think that I found the solution so I am very happy. I knew there had to be something I could do.

Now, I just have to say that the concert sounded really good. It's an older video(1985) and there is very little content in the surrounds, but the Dolby Digital soundtrack sounded insanely good. Stevie's guitar was just perfect. It sounded like it should. Tommy Shannon's bass added a nice fat bottom to the music that was easy to like and it was easy to pick out each bass line. Chris "whipper" Layton's drum kit added that really nice bottom end and was nicely weighted. Each different drum had its own, discernible sound as did the symbols. And Reese Wynans different pianos and keyboards sounded phenomenal. All in all, my Focal, Integra, Bryston, SubMersive combo really made this concert rock the way it should. But it also conveyed all the feelings that Stevie poured out of his guitar. The Focal's really sounded great. Now, this mix seemed to put a lot of the sound in the center channel. Not that wasn't music from the L\R speakers, but it seemed to me anyway, that much of the sound was from the center. Not that it's a bad thing, because my center is no slouch. But it just made it more apparent that having a really good center is important. It was late at night so I could not do "concert" level but man did I want too. Even the Crowson added a nice extra tactile feel to the experience.

I know I have said it before. But the Focal's really do shine. I also know that there are other, higher sensitivity speakers that might give me more output. But let's be honest. My room is 1000cf. Do I really need speakers that are 94db to get the levels I need? I don't think so. I know Craig has the big Plats and they are freaking awesome. I am sure that Dennis' speakers can crank because they are also very sensitive even though they are full range. I know people like the JTR's and Seaton speakers for there ability to sound crystal clear and really play loud wit virtually no strain. But TBH. I still love my 8 year old 1027's. Plus adding the server has been fantastic and so much fun, even though it is work. And of course, this fantastic sound would not be where it is if it weren't for Craig and Dennis. Well, enough of me talking about my own system. I just wanted to say how great that SRV concert sounded.

post #819 of 1070 Old 10-24-2013, 04:37 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

OK. Some "bad" news. I came back from vacation and I was able to watch some stuff on the server again. I was curious about regular DVD's because I thought I fixed the issue. Well, I did not. It's possible that the SRV concert I watched WAS a BR for video but it was copied with just the regulat Dolby Digital audio and that's why it looked good. I don't know frown.gif. What I don't understand is why BR's look fine, which I think are /24 and dvd's are not yet BR's look fine and regular DVD's do not. But I thought that I also watched a few scenes of others DVD's on the server after I made the change I thought everything looked good. I refuse to believe that I can't get it to look right. My plan is to finish my backing up and then finish my BR ripping. After that is all done, I will dive back into this issue and hopefully find an answer.
EDIT:
In post 815 I said this
"By default the first box is unchecked and the rest are not highlighted. But, if you check the first box, the ones underneath become available to you." I am going to make sure that it is back to this setting since I mentioned that doing this lowered the choppiness of the video. This is in Tools/Options/Video/Display settings . So I will double check that as well.

post #820 of 1070 Old 10-24-2013, 06:26 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I am really just brainstorming here so sorry for so many posts in a row. Now that I read the specs of my TV more closely, it does say that it can do 24p. But also, in the TV menu, it is grayed out and 60p is selected. Maybe I should see if that is one of the options I can choose from in my server. This is all so confusing now. And I still don't know if a different ripping program would help. There are just too many variables for me to try and wade through.

post #821 of 1070 Old 10-24-2013, 04:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 319 Post(s)
Liked: 400
If the TV actually can't do 24fps, then something (either tv or server) must convert any 24fps signal to 60fps, which certainly will cause judder. Some people are much more sensitive to it than others.

In many cases, DVDs (unlike BDs) do not have 24fps progressive video. Trying to convert their video to 24fps is fraught with peril. They're often a mix of progressive and interlaced video, and too often the flags saying which signal is being provided are wrong.

You might try playing a disc through the media player to see if the visible results are better than the ripped video. If the disc indeed is better, then you'll need to consider everything in the chain from the ripping settings to the file playback settings.

I hope these comments help a little.

Selden
post #822 of 1070 Old 10-25-2013, 04:34 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Thanks Selden. So here is another update. First, the specs on my TV does say it can do 24fps, but it looks like it is doing 60fps when I go into the menu system and that is something that I can not change because it is grayed out. At least in THX mode which is where I had my TV calibrated. Anyway, so I made sure that the one box was unchecked in the sever and that my Integra was set for just 1080p. Then I watched a few minutes of a few DVD's that I have on the server. Now, I know the movie is crappy, but 2Fast 2Furious is actually a good movie test this on. It is a Universal Studio title. You can see the chop big time as the globe comes into view. But with the server and Integra setup the way I have it, it looks much better. The intro is much smoother and the chop is minimal. Gladiator is another movie where you can see this, I also say that I flipped back and forth from 1080p to 1080p/24 in the Integra and the difference was easy to see

Now I will say that on some parts, mainly long pans across the TV, the chop may be a little more evident, but a few minutes into the film, or after a pan, it "corrects" itself and everything looks OK. So I am going to leave it just the way it is and not touch it. I watched a few minutes of No Country for Old Men which is a DVD rip, and that looked fine and I really did not notice any chop so I think I am back in business. Thanks for the help though. Now I can back to backing up and then ripping again smile.gif.

post #823 of 1070 Old 10-25-2013, 09:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Great! Have fun!

Selden
post #824 of 1070 Old 10-28-2013, 06:12 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I have backed up about 40 movies so far. That leaves about 70 more movies eek.gif (mostly BR) to back up, plus my series of Dead Wood, Bleach and the mini series the stand and then I can start ripping again. It's taking time, but I would rather be safe then sorry.

post #825 of 1070 Old 10-29-2013, 10:03 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

So last night I watched a Santana Concert I have on the server. I was watching with someone else. The concert is very colorful in the outfits and the background. About halfway through the person I was watching it wit said "that picture looks really good and the colors are so vibrant. I admit that gave me a little biggrin.gif on the inside because even though it's small, it does look very good.

post #826 of 1070 Old 10-29-2013, 04:21 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

It would not be me if it was not bad news. The center channel on my 3ch Bryston went out. I get no sound and the color LED is not even lit. So until I get the mental strength to try and ship it back, I am going to be running a phantom center. It does not sound that bad but I am not looking forward to taking out the amp and shipping it back to Bryston. When I do that, I will be unable to watch movies but at least I can listen to music.

post #827 of 1070 Old 10-29-2013, 07:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 202 Post(s)
Quote:

It would not be me if it was not bad news. The center channel on my 3ch Bryston went out. I get no sound and the color LED is not even lit. So until I get the mental strength to try and ship it back, I am going to be running a phantom center. It does not sound that bad but I am not looking forward to taking out the amp and shipping it back to Bryston. When I do that, I will be unable to watch movies but at least I can listen to music.

Uh oh! Well hey, a Phantom center done right can go a VERY long way. Without sharing an embarrassing story, I'll just say that I've been tricked through an entire movie with the Focus SE's. This was possible due to an imaging track on a test disc that let me set my speaker positions perfectly down to the inch! I can send you the file, if you want to pin-point your speaker positioning to get that perfect phantom center.

The Build:
| The System:
| The Video Series:

Social:
|
|
|
|
post #828 of 1070 Old 10-30-2013, 04:45 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Uh oh! Well hey, a Phantom center done right can go a VERY long way. Without sharing an embarrassing story, I'll just say that I've been tricked through an entire movie with the Focus SE's. This was possible due to an imaging track on a test disc that let me set my speaker positions perfectly down to the inch! I can send you the file, if you want to pin-point your speaker positioning to get that perfect phantom center.
Hey Matt. I had to do a phantom center before when my actual center channel was damaged so I know it can sound not half bad. I also think my speakers are set up just right for imaging because it still sounds like there is info coming from right in front of me. It's just that for me, it is a real pain in the ass to disconnect it and then be out that amp for a while. The truth is, a few years ago(2011) I had a problem with my 4b-ST and I also had a problem with my 5b-ST(which is the amp that is having the issue now.) That is a 3ch amp that powers my center and surrounds. The last time I had a problem with THIS amp was with one of the channels that was powering my left surround speaker but that was a few years ago, I just can't get a break mad.gif. I finally get my system back up and now I have to send something else out. At least I can still watch TV and listen to music but it still sucks.

post #829 of 1070 Old 10-30-2013, 07:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Mike,

If you rerun Audyssey with the center channel disconnected, it'll automatically configure your system to have a phantom center, redirecting the center channel audio to the two front speaker channels. In other words, you can continue to watch movies and not lose the dialog.
MIkeDuke likes this.

Selden
post #830 of 1070 Old 10-30-2013, 07:55 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Selden Ball View Post

Mike,

If you rerun Audyssey with the center channel disconnected, it'll automatically configure your system to have a phantom center, redirecting the center channel audio to the two front speaker channels. In other words, you can continue to watch movies and not lose the dialog.
Thanks for the info. I did not know that but there is no way I am doing that. Craig worked too hard to get it sounding just right and I am not going to re do Audyssey and then have to re run it AGAIN once I get it back. I will just live with no center and the phantom setup as long as I have to. But thanks for the tip.

post #831 of 1070 Old 10-30-2013, 09:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Hey Matt. I had to do a phantom center before when my actual center channel was damaged so I know it can sound not half bad. I also think my speakers are set up just right for imaging because it still sounds like there is info coming from right in front of me. It's just that for me, it is a real pain in the ass to disconnect it and then be out that amp for a while. The truth is, a few years ago(2011) I had a problem with my 4b-ST and I also had a problem with my 5b-ST(which is the amp that is having the issue now.) That is a 3ch amp that powers my center and surrounds. The last time I had a problem with THIS amp was with one of the channels that was powering my left surround speaker but that was a few years ago, I just can't get a break mad.gif. I finally get my system back up and now I have to send something else out. At least I can still watch TV and listen to music but it still sucks.

I totally hear ya!  I'm shocked that Bryston amps are having that failure rate in your system--they're supposed to be built like tanks, eh?  They definitely cost as much as an M1 Abrams. ;)  Do you think something with the power to the room might be causing damage?  Do you use a power conditioner?

The Build:
| The System:
| The Video Series:

Social:
|
|
|
|
post #832 of 1070 Old 10-30-2013, 09:54 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I totally hear ya!  I'm shocked that Bryston amps are having that failure rate in your system--they're supposed to be built like tanks, eh?  They definitely cost as much as an M1 Abrams. wink.gif   Do you think something with the power to the room might be causing damage?  Do you use a power conditioner?
Yes I use a power conditioner. I use an Audience power conditioner. I have no idea why I have had two problems with one amp and one problem with another(Granted I don't think all the problems happened while I was using my current power conditioner.) It just really sucks that I have to go through this again and be partially down again for who knows how long.

post #833 of 1070 Old 10-31-2013, 04:17 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

So I got a hold of Bryston. I can send it back and they will take care of it. I have the box and hopefully I have the packing material. They don't need the power cord so at least I can leave that plugged into my power conditioner. I think I will try and get some of the break down this weekend and hopefully ship it out next week.

post #834 of 1070 Old 10-31-2013, 11:43 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:

So I got a hold of Bryston. I can send it back and they will take care of it. I have the box and hopefully I have the packing material. They don't need the power cord so at least I can leave that plugged into my power conditioner. I think I will try and get some of the break down this weekend and hopefully ship it out next week.

Are you sure it is not something simple like a burned out fuse? I would check that before boxing it up and sending it back to Bryston...

Fine Music, Movies, Wine, and Friends - A Life Well Lived!
post #835 of 1070 Old 10-31-2013, 03:40 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMark1 View Post

Are you sure it is not something simple like a burned out fuse? I would check that before boxing it up and sending it back to Bryston...
That's what they said. But to be honest, we just spent 15-20 min breaking everything down and labeling all the cables. I am not going to try and replace a fuse, re connect everything, then potentially have it not work, then dis-connect everything AGAIN because I have to ship it out. If it's a fuse, let them do it and I will just deal with it but I will feel better that it was only a fuse. I know it's not what other people would do, but oh well. I march to my own drum tongue.gif.
EDIT: We will give it a try and see what happens. The guy told me what to look for in a bad fuse so we shall see.

post #836 of 1070 Old 10-31-2013, 05:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

That's what they said. But to be honest, we just spent 15-20 min breaking everything down and labeling all the cables. I am not going to try and replace a fuse, re connect everything, then potentially have it not work, then dis-connect everything AGAIN because I have to ship it out. If it's a fuse, let them do it and I will just deal with it but I will feel better that it was only a fuse. I know it's not what other people would do, but oh well. I march to my own drum tongue.gif.
EDIT: We will give it a try and see what happens. The guy told me what to look for in a bad fuse so we shall see.

Recalling this process from the Integra break-down, it might be useful to permanently label the cables so you don't have to do it each time, ya know? I do hope it's just a fuse though.... much better than lugging that beast to UPS.

The Build:
| The System:
| The Video Series:

Social:
|
|
|
|
post #837 of 1070 Old 11-01-2013, 04:29 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Recalling this process from the Integra break-down, it might be useful to permanently label the cables so you don't have to do it each time, ya know? I do hope it's just a fuse though.... much better than lugging that beast to UPS.
We do have them labeled now. Checking for the fuses was easier then I thought. Once we had the amp out, it was just a simple little thing that popped out of the back of the amp. There were two fuses in there and sure enough, one looked bunt out. So I will try to get a replacement and see what happens. I really hope that works. As far as the labeling goes, it does help but my space is so small too work with, it's still a pain the butt. So hopefully, this will do it. Wish me luck and kudos to Bryston for making the checking of the fuses not a big deal.

post #838 of 1070 Old 11-01-2013, 09:57 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Bad news. The fuses did not work. The guy from Bryston said this "If it looked blackened there is likely a problem with the channel drawing large amounts of current, which it would need to be sent in to have repaired". The fuse was blackened so I guess there is a bigger problem. I will send it out as soon as I can. I just hope the turn around time is not too long.

post #839 of 1070 Old 11-02-2013, 06:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Too bad frown.gif

Hopefully they'll be able to fix it quickly.

Selden
post #840 of 1070 Old 11-02-2013, 07:53 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

The guy said two weeks if nothing really major is wrong with it, so that is what I am hoping for. I am mailing it out today (Sat). We shall see. But at least I can still watch TV and movies in 2ch mode, which doesn't sound THAT bad. Plus I can still listen to music. So that helps ease the pain a bit smile.gif.

Reply What's Your System Configuration

Tags
Velodyne Sms 1 In Room Bass Correction Kit With Included Microphone , Oppo Bdp 83 Blu Ray Player , Monster Signature Series Home Theater Reference Htps 7000 Mkii Powersource With Dual Balanced Pure P , Playstation 3 160gb System , Panasonic Viera Tc P42g25 42 Inch 1080p Plasma Hdtv , Onkyo Integra Dtr80 3
Gear in this thread - P42g25 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page