My HT\2ch setup - Page 34 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #991 of 1003 Old 06-12-2014, 05:33 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked: 67
OK. So a few days ago I watched Terminator 3. Not sure what people think about it. I just think of it as one big action sequence, which is not half bad . Anyway, I have the BR version of it. But unlike other BR's, it only had a Dolby Digital soundtrack and not one of the high rez audio formats. I can say that it still sounded really good. Even though it was only regular Dolby Digital, it somehow sounded better then the regular DVD's I have with Dolby Digital. At least to me. I don't know why but it did. Let me put it this way, I did not feel cheated because of this fact. I just thought that was interesting. Then last night I watch WWZ and that still sounds fantastic as well. But I thought that was interesting about T3.

I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass...and I'm all out of bubblegum .
My System

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #992 of 1003 Old 06-27-2014, 06:04 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

This might be a rambling post but oh well. I admit I am a lazy bastard . That is part of the reason I got the server. It has made my HT experience so much better. The ability to just watch any movie I have, or any series I have at the push of a button is really cool. The audio and video quality are top notch. I fought it for a while, but adding the server was a major upgrade to my system. I have a number of movies that I need to buy and put on there. It will take some time but I will slowly whittle it down.

I would also like to add that I really like how movies sound. With all this talk of Atmos, I admit I am a bit jealous of people who have bigger rooms and who can fully take advantage of it. It's not a crime to think like that. But from what I have read and found out, it seems that it really doesn't improve the SQ of the system like going from prologic to DTS-MA. It makes for a more enveloped surround experience. TBH, in my small room, with my small 5.1 system, I have what I think is a pretty good surround envelopment experience now. There are plenty of movies where the sound moving around the room, or more specifically, coming out of the surrounds is impressive. Sometimes I fool myself or someone else in the room by thinking that what happened in the room wasn't happening out of the room. So yea, I am pretty happy.

Also, Somewhere in my thread someone posted some covers you can place on lights on your system(I.E amp lights, power lights etc). They came in different sizes. But I can't seem to find that post. If anybody is in here, and they know what they are, can you please post the link again? I really don't feel like going through every page of my thread to find the. As I said, I can be a lazy bastard .
EDIT:
I think I found them
http://www.amazon.com/LightDims-Orig...+light+blocker

I am pretty sure those are it. I may get a set to experiment with.

I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass...and I'm all out of bubblegum .
My System

Last edited by MIkeDuke; 06-27-2014 at 08:40 AM.
post #993 of 1003 Old 06-28-2014, 05:12 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by MIkeDuke View Post
This might be a rambling post but oh well. I admit I am a lazy bastard . That is part of the reason I got the server. It has made my HT experience so much better. The ability to just watch any movie I have, or any series I have at the push of a button is really cool. The audio and video quality are top notch. I fought it for a while, but adding the server was a major upgrade to my system. I have a number of movies that I need to buy and put on there. It will take some time but I will slowly whittle it down.

I would also like to add that I really like how movies sound. With all this talk of Atmos, I admit I am a bit jealous of people who have bigger rooms and who can fully take advantage of it. It's not a crime to think like that. But from what I have read and found out, it seems that it really doesn't improve the SQ of the system like going from prologic to DTS-MA. It makes for a more enveloped surround experience. TBH, in my small room, with my small 5.1 system, I have what I think is a pretty good surround envelopment experience now. There are plenty of movies where the sound moving around the room, or more specifically, coming out of the surrounds is impressive. Sometimes I fool myself or someone else in the room by thinking that what happened in the room wasn't happening out of the room. So yea, I am pretty happy.

Also, Somewhere in my thread someone posted some covers you can place on lights on your system(I.E amp lights, power lights etc). They came in different sizes. But I can't seem to find that post. If anybody is in here, and they know what they are, can you please post the link again? I really don't feel like going through every page of my thread to find the. As I said, I can be a lazy bastard .
EDIT:
I think I found them
http://www.amazon.com/LightDims-Orig...+light+blocker

I am pretty sure those are it. I may get a set to experiment with.
Linky no worky in your last post.

This is what you are looking for:

http://www.lightdims.com/

They work very well. Get the combo pack for the best value.
MIkeDuke likes this.
post #994 of 1003 Old 06-28-2014, 08:20 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dharel View Post
Linky no worky in your last post.

This is what you are looking for:

http://www.lightdims.com/

They work very well. Get the combo pack for the best value.
Thanks. I don't know why the link broke though. Strange. On an un related note, some of you in here may know that I was having a hard time playing regular DVD's on my server. When played through Jriver, they were choppy but the audio was good. I did my best to get the chop down by playing with the video card and doing other things. That worked to a degree but there is still some chop. Then I experimented with VLC viewer. That made dvd's look great but I was only getting 2ch audio. Well, playing around today I got it to where when I play a regular DVD with VLC I get Multich on my Integra. It doesn't say DTS or Dolby Digital. Dou you guys think that is close enough audio, if I can't figure out the next step for regular DVD's?
Thanks

My System

post #995 of 1003 Old 06-30-2014, 04:35 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Here is a more expansive explanation of what I mention above.

If some of you remember, I was having some issues with regular DVD playback on my server. But I did a number of tweaks and got it looking fairly good with only some chop left. Well, if there is one thing about me I am persistent. A while back I tried the media player VLC. When I watched a DVD rip through that it looked fantastic but I was only getting stereo soundtrack. Fast forward to this past weekend.

Going through the audio options on the Baetis(Windows OS) and the VLC player, I am now able to get the multich to come and play as an audio source when I watch a DVD rip through the VLC player. It really doesn't sound that bad. Here is what I did.

I had to setup VLC to Directx audio out in two spots and make sure that VLC is "looking" for the 80.3 which is just a simple menu selection Also, one thing that I had to do was to go into the control panel of windows based Baetis server. In there is an icon named sound. If I double click on that another widow pops up and I see my 80.3 listed If you double click on it and then go to supported formats it gives some info. It says max number of channels is 8.
HDCP supported
Bit depths 16 bit 20 bit and 24 bit.
Then for sample rates it says 32.0 kHz, 44.1kHz, 48kHz and 88.2 Khz
Then in another box it has Encoded formats
DTS audio
Dolby Digital Plus
DTS-HD
Dolby TrueHD
Dolby Digital.
Then in the advanced mode it says Select the sample rate and bit depth to be used when running in share mode. It goes from 16bit 48000hz(DVD Quality All the way to 24bit 192,000Hz(studio quality).
I have it on the dvd quality.

Now also, I just happen to right click on my 80.3 icon and another screen came up. It allows me to setup my speaker configuration, When I did that, I saw that it was in stereo mode. But, there was a 5.1 surround and 7.1 surround option as well. So, I put it to the 5.1 setting.
After I did all of that, I played a movie and I got the Multich output.

According to Craig, "The "Multi-Channel" on your pre/pro display just means that the server is decoding the Dolby Digital or DTS track instead of bitstreaming it to the pre/pro for the pre/pro to decode. You must have the output in the VLC player set to PCM. If the decoder in the server is a decent decoder, and assuming it is working properly, the sound should be virtually the same between DD/DTS decoded in the sever or decoded in the pre/pro. Your pre/pro will still apply Audyssey EQ and all the BM and Distance settings, so that should be the same also."

Now Craig mentioned the fact that VLC player is probably set for PCM audio and the server itself is doing the decoding but I still get the EQ function and bass management. He said the only "downside" is that I can't see what format is being played. I guess he means Dolby Digital or DTS. To be honest, it really doesn't matter because I only have one or the other on my DVD rips so as long as it plays which ever is on the rip, I am fine with it.

So that's it. The server is now doing EVERYTHING I wanted it to do. I tested just a few parts of some DVD rips and it sounds fine and looks great. If anyone knows if there is a bit stream option in VLC, please let me know and I will switch it. But if this is as good as it gets, I can easily live it for the 40 or so DVD's I have on the server. I am so glad I decided to just try one more time and play around.
dharel likes this.

My System

Last edited by MIkeDuke; 07-02-2014 at 09:41 AM.
post #996 of 1003 Old 06-30-2014, 07:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 325
Unfortunately, the released version of VLC doesn't seem to provide a "bitstream" option yet.

You can get the equivalent of bitstream support if you use different player software. See Which media players reconfigure HDMI to match number of source channels?

Selden
post #997 of 1003 Old 06-30-2014, 07:30 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Thanks Selden. I think I will stick with what I have right now since I am used to it and it really doesn't sound half bad. Also, Like I said, it's only for the DVD's that I already have on the server and I won't be buying them any more. This is where my laziness kicks in. I just can't be bothered to try and figure out something else when the video looks fantastic and the audio is not that bad. It took me this long to figure everything out, a lot on my own, and I don't feel like messing with a good thing . But thanks again.
P.S Still saving for the RAID slowly but surely.

My System

post #998 of 1003 Old 06-30-2014, 07:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 325
It is an entertainment system, after all. If it entertains you, then it's doing its job!
MIkeDuke likes this.

Selden
post #999 of 1003 Old 06-30-2014, 07:43 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

It certainly is entertaining me. The overall setup really does a great job. Would I like more? Sure, but I am trying to do the best I can with what I have to work with.

My System

post #1000 of 1003 Old 07-01-2014, 04:29 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I just wanted to give a full update(review) now that I have watched a movie. I watched Open Range last night which is a DVD rip. First the video was very good. There was no jaggedness at all. The colors of the landscape in the beginning were really vibrant. Detail on close up shots of different people were also very clear and detailed. I was very happy with the video. On the audio side I was equally happy. The thunder at the start of the movie was potent and had some power. All of the gunshots were crisp and had impact(the shotgun as well). But the dialog as well was crystal clear. I could make out every word, even low level dialog and mumbles were clearer now. In addition little insects flying around were convincing. I will probably watch a few more as tests.

This is probably just for when I watch a movie. If I wanted to give someone a demo. I doubt I would use a dvd rip. I would want them to get the full experience so I would use a BR rip. But for stuff that I watch, it's great. I am really glad I played around a bit more. Now everything looks and sounds great .

My System

Last edited by MIkeDuke; 07-02-2014 at 09:43 AM.
post #1001 of 1003 Old 07-01-2014, 05:34 AM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 283
GREAT JOB getting this sorted, Mike! This issue goes back a long way for you, so your persistence is to be commended!

Craig
MIkeDuke likes this.

Lombardi said it:
Perfection is not attainable, but if we chase perfection we can catch excellence."

My System

post #1002 of 1003 Old 07-01-2014, 05:59 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Thanks Craig. I am nothing if not persistent . It's just in my nature. I am just glad that the multich soundtrack still sounds pretty damn good. I understand that some people may look at my solution as a cobbled together one, but for me as long as it works, I am happy.

My System

Last edited by MIkeDuke; 07-01-2014 at 06:02 AM.
post #1003 of 1003 Old 07-11-2014, 04:26 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

OK, so I am back over here where I belong(sorry Matt). On the Jriver forum someone offered some help that should have aided me in fixing my issue without the need of going through VCL and getting the multich sound track. Well, I tried and tried but I just can't get it work. It's a .bin file that you are supposed to put in a certain folder along with doing some other things. But whenever I try to get the file onto my Baetis, it converts it to a VCL file. I downloaded it directly from the thread where it is posted and I even emailed it to myself and both ways did not work. It still wants open it as a VCL file. But I was able to get it to open the right way at work, by choosing what program to open it with, at home I can't get it to work. So you what, F it. I don't have the patience and I am in so much pain from a medical condition that I just don't care any more. It's only DVD's and they sound good enough the way they are now that I am just going to leave it. So, that's it. I am done. I can't get it to download right on my server so I am not going to waste any more time on it. I don't have any Jriver Jedi masters that can help me with so that's it. For my system, it's good enough. I know for many good enough is not good enough and for me, most of the time it's not. But for this, it will have to be.

My System

Last edited by MIkeDuke; 07-11-2014 at 04:35 AM.
Reply What's Your System Configuration

Tags
Velodyne Sms 1 In Room Bass Correction Kit With Included Microphone , Oppo Bdp 83 Blu Ray Player , Monster Signature Series Home Theater Reference Htps 7000 Mkii Powersource With Dual Balanced Pure P , Playstation 3 160gb System , Panasonic Viera Tc P42g25 42 Inch 1080p Plasma Hdtv , Onkyo Integra Dtr80 3
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page