My HT\2ch setup - Page 38 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
post #1111 of 1139 Old 01-29-2015, 07:42 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 239 Post(s)
Liked: 118
Well, I have had some sort of Focal speaker for over 10 years now. I went from the Electra 927be and cc-901 to what I have now which is the Electra 1027be+CC1000be+Chorus 705's for surrounds. I like them very much. In my room(which is treated) and my equipment I don't find them bright at all. The older series was but not the ones I have, again to me. They are really good for music but they are also very nice for movies. I have found that any flaws they may find in a movie were not distracting. In fact, I really can't hear any flaws. I just watched a DVD rip last night. No Country for Old Men. That movie sounded amazing. Not harsh at all. Not fatiguing either. On all my movies, they sound great. Plus I have had other people over who don't have Focal, but have Triad or Legacy speakers and they have NEVER complained about the sound being harsh or letting you hear what's wrong with the soundtrack.

I have heard the 1028's in a store with music only. They sounded fantastic to me. All the music and songs they were playing sounded great.

Even on my system, if I play a non-audiophile band like TOOL or Audioslave, the, music sounds really good. When I watch a BR rip or DVD rip of a movie, again, they sound really good. Let me put it this way. If I had 8ft of snow at my house(like some people do now), I would have no problem watching movie after movie. I know I could do that and not get tired of the sound. Now are they for you?, I can't say. I know people like different sounds. For me they are dynamic enough but I can tell you from experience, there are other speakers that are more dynamic. If you ask me if I am happy with what I have I would have to answer hell yes. And again, my friends who come over, say that I have a really outstanding sounding system. And one of these people has heard a lot of different systems. I say give them another chance. It could have been the room that made them sound that way. Don't let the fact that they may be too revealing turn you off to them. I have well over 200 movies and shows at my disposal. Not once did I think that they were letting me hear too much of what was in the movie in a bad way. But that's just me. I don't know what other speakers you are thinking about but to me, the Focal's warrant a chance.
craig john likes this.

It ain't easy being green.
My System

Last edited by MIkeDuke; 01-29-2015 at 08:06 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1112 of 1139 Old 04-08-2015, 12:35 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I hate doing these dinky little updates, but since I got it, I want to keep a record of it. Last week I got a RAID. It's not what %100 recommended drive wise, but I think I will be OK. That just added another 18TB of storage. I have already been putting stuff on and I really like it. Even though I plan on putting stuff that people normally wouldn't put on, I think the space should last me for a nice long time. I can deal with the extra noise. I just can't live with the extra lights. So I am going to get some light dims and take care of that issue. So that's it. I still really like the way it sounds(my system not the RAID ), even when watching Interstellar.

My System

Last edited by MIkeDuke; 04-10-2015 at 08:43 AM.
post #1113 of 1139 Old 04-10-2015, 07:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 1320 Post(s)
Liked: 702
I'm not sure what you mean by "light dims", but electrical masking tape often works well

Interstellar has gotten both good and bad reviews for its soundtrack. The bass is great, but some people complain that the dialog is hard to understand in a few scenes. (My understanding is that was a directorial decision.)

Selden

Marantz SR7009+MM9000/Atmos 7.1.4 (FH+TM:DefTech PM1000)/LCR+TM amped
post #1114 of 1139 Old 04-10-2015, 08:34 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

These are light dims.
http://www.lightdims.com/store.htm

I figured for the price, I would give them a shot and it would look nicer than tape .

As far as Interstellar goes, I had no problem at all In My System understanding the dialog. But I did have to turn it up louder for someone else who has a hard time hearing movies in my room anyway. As an experiment, I will watch it again, at some point, with Dynamic Volume engaged in my Integra. My understanding is that it lowers the loud effects and raises the spoken words. We shall see. But again, as is, at -17 I was fine with the movie and dialog with the movie.

My System
post #1115 of 1139 Old 06-12-2015, 05:30 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Here we go. I am going to try and make this as clear as possible.

If you are in here, you know I use a server for my main play back. In it, you can go in and set up the surround setup you have with the audio card that it is in the machine. Before I get to my main point, let me just say that it's a good thing I decided to look. My audio card has a few options. It has a 2ch option, a 7.1 option and TWO 5.1 options. They are all diagram based so when you select an option, you see what speakers are active. One 5.1 setup shows the surrounds behind you and the other one shows the surrounds on the side wall(like I have mine.) Lately, I was noticing that I was not getting info from my surrounds. It seemed to happen all of a sudden. So for goofs, I went into the setup section of my audio card. It had the option with the surrounds behind you being active. I switched it to the way I have mine, on the side of me and my surrounds were again active. Now what's really bizarre is that I did not go in and change it. Freaky I know. Anyway, all is good in that respect again.

Anyway, that got me thinking about Atmos. Atmos needs to be 7.1 at a minimum anyway. I know that the few Atmos disks that are out now are just 7.1 I think. But it has the ability to go much higher than that. With a 7.1 system it would be a 5.1.2 setup. But would my sound card even be able to figure out that's what I want it to do? I know that the newer Jriver versions support Atmos. But my server only has a 7.1 max for channels. So I really don't even know if my server could play back the audio the right way anyway. It might, but I don't know. Also, if they start making Atmos movies with soundtracks above 7.1 I would be out of luck with my server right? I mean, it's not like I could "manage" the 7.1 speakers of the Atmos track in my server and let the preamp take care of the rest if I decided on let's say a 9.1.4 setup at some point in the future. I would need a server that has 14-15 channels in order to do that right? I think on one of the HToTM had one built like that. It was a custom setup. Someone told me that the number of channels on the server's sound card did not matter since the signal itself was an HDMI signal right into my Integra, but I don't know.

This is something I don't have to worry about for a long time probably. But I was just curious if my analysis was correct.
Thanks.

My System

Last edited by MIkeDuke; 06-12-2015 at 08:45 AM.
post #1116 of 1139 Old 06-12-2015, 03:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 400 Post(s)
Liked: 376
Unless your soundcard can't handle TrueHD, then you should be fine. Your htpc/server simply has to bitstream the audio to the Atmos receiver. The receiver will decode the atmos metadata.

I have a dedicated server, stream to my htpc, use Jriver, no problems with Atmos material. No special soundcard, just the stock one on the mobo.

PSN - Hapi_Kilmore_v3
My 6.4.4 Living Room HT
post #1117 of 1139 Old 06-13-2015, 08:42 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Well, I have TRUHD movies on my server so I guess I am OK? I hope I am bit streaming now . I forget how to check. But that would be really cool if I could keep this server and still play Atmos soundtracks in the future, even if I am only getting the Dolby Digital track now. It would mean I will have to get MC20 and re rip them, but that's fine with me. Not a big deal. Again, at this point I only have 2 disks that are Atmos and I can't justify the upgrade now. When I get 10, then I will probably do the upgrade. I think the I have the latest version of MKV that supports Atmos rips. But MC18 does not. The movie just freezes when I tried to play an Atmos soundtrack back.
P.S
I guess I was just wondering if my server could more than 7.1 since my audio card only seems to go up to 7.1. It shows it in a graphical way and you select what kind of layout you have, and 7.1 is the highest the layout goes to so it just got me wondering. But if you say that it can do it regardless of that, that's pretty cool.
Thanks

My System

Last edited by MIkeDuke; 06-15-2015 at 04:54 AM.
post #1118 of 1139 Old 06-15-2015, 07:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 667 Post(s)
Liked: 614
@Spanglo Maybe this was fixed in JRIVER since i last used it (theater has been out of commission), but there was a time when Jriver couldnt bitstream in the hd codecs (dts-hd and dolby tru hd). I had to run PCM in order to get those codecs through my processor. Has this changed?
post #1119 of 1139 Old 06-15-2015, 09:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 400 Post(s)
Liked: 376
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrolicBeast View Post
@Spanglo Maybe this was fixed in JRIVER since i last used it (theater has been out of commission), but there was a time when Jriver couldnt bitstream in the hd codecs (dts-hd and dolby tru hd). I had to run PCM in order to get those codecs through my processor. Has this changed?
I've used MC18 thru 20 and I don't recall there ever being an issue bitstreaming via HDMI.

PSN - Hapi_Kilmore_v3
My 6.4.4 Living Room HT
post #1120 of 1139 Old 06-16-2015, 04:28 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Unless there is a setting that was missed, I should be bit streaming. I just use a HDMI cable and that's it. Again, my question is since my audio card seems to max out at 7.1, even if I bit stream with a HDMI cable, will I be able to get more than 7.1 channels if I ever get MC20 and a new preamp?
EDIT:Spanglo
I know my audio card can play TRUHD and DTS-MA because in my audio card section, I can see them as options listed along with some other, lower end audio options. Plus when I watch a movie with one of those audio options, it appears on my 80.3

My System

Last edited by MIkeDuke; 06-16-2015 at 06:25 AM.
post #1121 of 1139 Old 06-16-2015, 10:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Mike,

The capabilities of the audio card are irrelevant. If you only have an HDMI cable connected, then no sound whatsoever goes through the audio card.

The capabilities of the HDMI hardware (which is built into the graphics card) and its associated HD audio driver plus the player software are what determine how many audio channels you can hear.

Current HDMI chipsets are unable to transport more than 8 (7.1) discrete audio channels if they've been decoded by the disc player or software in your media box. (The HDMI V2 standard allows for up to 32 channels, but that part of the standard hasn't actually been implemented yet.) Fortunately, that limitation is irrelevant when bitstreaming since HDMI is just transporting a single data stream of bits which is destined to be decoded in the A/V receiver or pre/pro.

In other words, when you bitstream the soundtrack from the disc through the HDMI cable to your AV pre/pro, then the decoders built into your pre/pro are the things which limit the audio that you can hear.
MIkeDuke likes this.

Selden

post #1122 of 1139 Old 06-16-2015, 11:11 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

OK. That makes sense . So when I changed the surround configuration in my system, what did I actually do if no sound goes through the card yet I could hear a clear change in my surrounds. Unless I imagined it . In theory then, I should be able to get audio signals greater then 7.1 through my server if that ever comes to pass? Do you think my server will be able to play above that 7.1 setup that is currently being used as long as I upgrade to MC20?

My System
post #1123 of 1139 Old 06-17-2015, 04:41 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

So I double checked in Jriver, and it says this:
bitstream yes(HDMI). So I guess I am using bitsream. Now, my media player does not have HDMI V2. At least I am 99% sure it doesn't.

"The capabilities of the HDMI hardware (which is built into the graphics card) and its associated HD audio driver plus the player software are what determine how many audio channels you can hear."
Do you mean the HDMI hardware that are built into the pre amps like the Integra 80.6? Or do you mean the HDMI card that is in my server.
Sorry if that's a stupid question

Sleden, you seem to indicate that it doesn't matter. If I understood you correctly, my server will still be able to play audio tracks greater then 7.1 if they ever make them and I am using a newer version of Jriver. For ex. Let's say that a movie comes out with a native 9.1.2 Atmos audio track. Are you saying that if I have enough speakers, and the right playback equipment i.e preamp and MC20 that I could play that back as an Atmos sound track?
Thanks for your help .

My System

Last edited by MIkeDuke; 06-17-2015 at 05:03 AM.
post #1124 of 1139 Old 06-17-2015, 11:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MIkeDuke View Post
OK. That makes sense . So when I changed the surround configuration in my system, what did I actually do if no sound goes through the card yet I could hear a clear change in my surrounds. Unless I imagined it .
That depends on what output device was selected when you made the adjustments. The Windows "Playback Devices" menu lets you select each of the audio output devices that are in the computer (or media server in your case) and specify different settings for each of them. The audio card output and the HDMI output should have separate selection icons.

Quote:
In theory then, I should be able to get audio signals greater then 7.1 through my server if that ever comes to pass?
Yes, if the server can bitstream the audio.
Quote:
Do you think my server will be able to play above that 7.1 setup that is currently being used as long as I upgrade to MC20?
So long as you can bitstream the audio, yes. I don't know enough about JRiver to say if you need to upgrade to MC20.

Bitstreaming the audio causes the media player software and the computer's hardware and software to ignore the contents of the soundtrack no matter what other settings you've made in the computer. The settings are all bypassed and have no effect on the sound. If settings in the computer do affect the sound, then you aren't actually bitstreaming the audio. You can verify this by looking at what your pre/pro is reporting about the HDMI audio signal that it's getting. If it says it's receiving either Dolby TrueHD or DTS-HD MA then the audio bits are being streamed directly from the A/V file to the pre/pro with no changes. If the pre/pro reports that it's getting LPCM, then the audio is being decoded in the computer and settings in the computer can change how it souds.

Quote:
So I double checked in Jriver, and it says this:
bitstream yes(HDMI). So I guess I am using bitsream. Now, my media player does not have HDMI V2. At least I am 99% sure it doesn't.
I suspect you're right. However, you have to be careful when you're talking about HDMI V2. It includes many different optional features. Many people sloppily use the term "HDMI V2" when they're really only talking about its support for UHD video (also called 4K video).

Quote:
"The capabilities of the HDMI hardware (which is built into the graphics card) and its associated HD audio driver plus the player software are what determine how many audio channels you can hear."
Do you mean the HDMI hardware that are built into the pre amps like the Integra 80.6? Or do you mean the HDMI card that is in my server.
Sorry if that's a stupid question
Sorry, I meant the entire HDMI signal chain: the appropriate encoding has to be supported by the player device (BD player or Media player) and the receiver or pre/pro for the audio. Similarly, if you want to watch native UHD video, then the player, pre/pro and display all have to support it.

So far as I know, no currently available HDMI hardware supports more than 7.1 discrete channels of audio. Bitstreaming is used to get around this limitation.

Quote:
Sleden, you seem to indicate that it doesn't matter. If I understood you correctly, my server will still be able to play audio tracks greater then 7.1 if they ever make them and I am using a newer version of Jriver. For ex. Let's say that a movie comes out with a native 9.1.2 Atmos audio track. Are you saying that if I have enough speakers, and the right playback equipment i.e preamp and MC20 that I could play that back as an Atmos sound track?
Yes, but...

Atmos and DTS:X don't provide 9.1.2 discrete channels. They provide 7.1 discrete channels plus movable audio objects. The movable audio objects are decoded by the pre/pro so they come from whichever of your speakers happen to be closest to the directions where the sound mixer specified those sounds should come from. If your pre/pro doesn't have such a decoder, then you'll hear the 7.1 channel soundtrack, which includes the sounds provided in the objects. (Supposedly some DTS:X titles will be available by Christmas.)

Auro 3D, in contrast, does use discrete channels for (currently) up to 5.1.5 speaker channels. However, since no players or pre/pros currently support more than 8 discrete channels over HDMI, Auro 3D soundtracks also have to be bitstreamed. Since it's being bitstreamed, the player device (or media player in your case) ignores the audio content and passes it through unchanged so it can be decoded in a compatible pre/pro. Just as with Atmos and DTS:X, if you're using an incompatible pre/pro, you'll hear "downmixed" audio instead. (At the moment, only a few audio-only music titles are available in Auro 3D format. My understanding is that one movie title has been published, but they botched the audio encoding.)

I hope these descriptions help a little. I've let out a lot of the technical details.

Selden

post #1125 of 1139 Old 06-17-2015, 11:35 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

OK.
Lot's to go over. Let's start with this:
"You can verify this by looking at what your pre/pro is reporting about the HDMI audio signal that it's getting. If it says it's receiving either Dolby TrueHD or DTS-HD MA then the audio bits are being streamed directly from the A/V file to the pre/pro with no changes. If the pre/pro reports that it's getting LPCM, then the audio is being decoded in the computer and settings in the computer can change how it souds."

When I watch a movie that is a BR rip, it does say TrueHD or DTS-HD MA. So I guess I am bit streaming .

"Sorry, I meant the entire HDMI signal chain: the appropriate encoding has to be supported by the player device (BD player or Media player) and the receiver or pre/pro for the audio. Similarly, if you want to watch native UHD video, then the player, pre/pro and display all have to support it.

So far as I know, no currently available HDMI hardware supports more than 7.1 discrete channels of audio. Bitstreaming is used to get around this limitation."
First I have no interest in 4k video at this time. In my system, you seem to indicate that I am cool in that regard if I get an Atmos preamp and the right software. Am I correct in thinking that? This is only for audio.

So Atmos and DTS:X have a 7.1 "bed" and then they figure out the rest on the fly? The rest being objects?(I forgot about that).
If someone built a mega theater with a 9.1 system plus 4 Atmos speakers, are you saying that Atmos would decode the 7 main speakers as channels and then the rest as objects? Or would the entire system be based on objects.
So, it sounds like you are saying that if I get an Atmos preamp, and the right software, that my current server, which is HDMI 1.4 based, would be able to play an Atmos soundtrack that was at a minimum of 7.1 but may go up from there. Am I right?
P.S Thanks for not getting too technical . I would hate to read that post.

My System
post #1126 of 1139 Old 06-18-2015, 11:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
When I watch a movie that is a BR rip, it does say TrueHD or DTS-HD MA. So I guess I am bit streaming .
Correct.
Quote:

First I have no interest in 4k video at this time. In my system, you seem to indicate that I am cool in that regard if I get an Atmos preamp and the right software. Am I correct in thinking that? This is only for audio.
Correct.
Quote:

So Atmos and DTS:X have a 7.1 "bed" and then they figure out the rest on the fly? The rest being objects?(I forgot about that).
Correct.
Quote:
If someone built a mega theater with a 9.1 system plus 4 Atmos speakers, are you saying that Atmos would decode the 7 main speakers as channels and then the rest as objects? Or would the entire system be based on objects.
7.1 bed channels +/- objects. +/- is my cutesie way of saying that the audio of the objects is included in the traditional 7.1 ear-level base channels. The Atmos audio decoder subtracts the object audio from those 7.1 channels and directs those objects to other speakers. The DTS:X decoder will do the same kind of thing. They didn't switch to a pure-object delivery system because they wanted the soundtracks to be compatible with non-Atmos equipment.
Quote:
So, it sounds like you are saying that if I get an Atmos preamp, and the right software, that my current server, which is HDMI 1.4 based, would be able to play an Atmos soundtrack that was at a minimum of 7.1 but may go up from there. Am I right?
You are correct. I have an HDMI V1.4 BD player (Sony S590) feeding my Atmos receiver (Marantz SR7009) and it works fine.
Quote:
P.S Thanks for not getting too technical . I would hate to read that post.
MIkeDuke likes this.

Selden

post #1127 of 1139 Old 06-18-2015, 11:56 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

You just set my mind at ease for a long time Selden. Knowing that my server will be able to handle the newer audio formats is a load off my mind. Also, I now feel better buying Atmos disks and only using the Dolby Digital core audio. Someone on the Data-Bass forum made me feel better about it. TBH, the Dolby Digital track ripped from an Atmos disk sounds really good. Almost as good as a plain old TRU-HD track. So I am no longer in a major rush to go out and upgrade to a newer version of Jriver. Especially since I don't see myself moving beyond 5.1 for a while.
Thanks again.
P.S I can't promise that I won't have more questions .

My System

Last edited by MIkeDuke; 06-18-2015 at 12:45 PM.
post #1128 of 1139 Old 06-19-2015, 10:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Mike,

You're very welcome.

My understanding is that the Dolby Digital versions of the primary soundtracks on Blu-ray discs can (but might not) use a higher bitrate than can be used on DVDs, so (in principle at least) they can sound very good. I have a couple of early DVDs which were advertised as being very high quality encodings, demos for how good DD could be. They do sound quite good. I was rather surprised when I played them recently on my Sony BD player and discovered that they actually were encoded using one of the slowest of the DD bitrates.

Enjoy!

Selden

post #1129 of 1139 Old 06-19-2015, 10:47 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

In Jriver while the movie is playing, you can see what the bit rate is. On these DD Atmos tracks, they are only barely below what a TRUHD track is. Sometimes they may dip lower but on average not much. A DVD bit rate is much lower then even what the lowest the Atmos DD track goes. So thanks again for making me not obsess over this and allow me to get Atmos disks with little fear that I am missing a ton of audio quality. At least in my system. Other people may think I am crazy and say that DD track and TRUHD tracks on these Atmos disks are not worlds apart. That's fine. I just know how it sounds in MY system.

My System

Last edited by MIkeDuke; 06-20-2015 at 06:54 AM.
post #1130 of 1139 Old 06-24-2015, 04:38 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Last night I had some time on my hands so I decided to have double feature. I watched Lucy and then I watched Dracula Untold. They are both about 90 minutes. I wanted to see if I could tell the difference between the two movies. Over on Databass.com they measured both.
This is Lucy
Level - 2 Stars (106.45dB composite)
Extension - 5 Stars (7Hz)
Dynamics - 3 Stars (24.7dB)
Execution - 4 Stars (by poll)
and this is Dracula
Level - 3 Stars (109.19dB composite)
Extension - 1 Star (34.5Hz)
Dynamics - 5 Stars (30.01dB)
Execution - 2 Stars (by poll)

It was an interesting experiment. Even though the Level and dynamics were higher with Dracula, I liked the overall presentation of Lucy better. I could tell the difference. Lucy did seem a bit lower in the dynamics range, but for me, since I have a SubMersive and a Crowson, it was really fun and it got loud enough for me. I could really tell that this movie went low. Now with Dracula, it was a bit louder but the lack of bass was really evident after watching Lucy, regardless of the dynamics and Level. In Dracula, it was like the bass was almost there, and then someone pulled the rug out from it. It was really too bad because if it went lower, it could have been an epic soundtrack. Everything else was great in D.U. The fronts and surrounds were really well utilized.

I just thought it would be an interesting experiment that I could do back to back films that measured so differently to see if I could tell the difference. And yes, having really low bass, and the ability to reproduce it is an important fact. If it were me, I would take a Lucy style soundtrack, over the Dracula sound track any day of the week. Now it would be great if they could all be 5 star sound tracks with no clipping, but as I said, I would rather have a Lucy soundtrack if that was my only choice.

My System

Last edited by MIkeDuke; 07-14-2015 at 12:25 PM.
post #1131 of 1139 Old 07-15-2015, 07:22 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I just wanted to say that I am out for a while. There is nothing more major I can do for my system and looking at the bigger systems just makes me sad that I can't have one. So I am probably done looking in here unless I someone sends me a message or I do something radical. I want to thank everybody for their help and I hope I was able to help a few people .
By... For know

My System
post #1132 of 1139 Old 08-10-2015, 05:22 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Well,
I am back . Did anybody miss me. Things have evolved and I believe I am at the point where I can make a significant change. Your eyes are always bigger then the space you really have. But with care full searching, I am able to make what should be a nice upgrade. People can probably guess what it is. I just need to do more research. But things will look different the not too distant future. Updates to follow, if anybody is in here .

My System

Last edited by MIkeDuke; 08-10-2015 at 09:42 AM.
post #1133 of 1139 Old 08-10-2015, 09:46 AM
AVS Special Member

When you post to a thread, that normally puts it into your subscription list. The "User CP" option in the Forum's header shows all of your subscribed threads which have been updated since the last time you looked at them. In other words, everybody who's ever posted in this thread is aware that you're "back". Unless they've explicitly unsubscribed, anyhow.

Selden

post #1134 of 1139 Old 08-10-2015, 11:01 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Got you. It was sort of a smart ass thing I did I know. Didn't mean to be like that but that's how it ended up. Sorry. I didn't think I would posting so soon though that's all. I figured a way to get a 55" TV in my room so that's why I said I was back. I wasn't aware that people subscribed to my thread that's all.

My System
post #1135 of 1139 Old 08-21-2015, 05:26 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

So I have doing my research and I have to say, I am a little disappointed . While most of what I have seen seems great, upon further reading, the warts come out. First, I am limited to a 55in TV. So I have looked at just about all the models in my price range. Let me also say that Craig has been indispensable as I do this . What I have learned is this. I know no TV is perfect. I choose to look at the negative reviews of the models instead of the positive ones. Most of the brands that are in my $1500 range all seem to have major issues. If you look at Sony, sure there are a lot of great reviews but some of the bad ones site motion blur, lip sync issues and even all out failure. Most of the Samsung TV's site motion blur and some failure. LG, most of the reviews site motion blur but not much failure. All of these TV's have 120hz refresh rates.

The Vizio 55in has really had no failure reports that I have read but people also say it has motion blur. I think its "real" refresh rate is 60hz. My current plasma has a refresh rate of 600hz. What to do. To be fair, there are many positive reviews of all these TV's as well. And even some that say "Samsung is crap, I went to LG, Sony etc... and it is much better". Then you have people that say "Sony is crap, I went to Samsung or LG, etc... And then you have the people who love their Vizo TV's. Then you have Panasonic who has non plasma TV's, that seem to be rated high but are no longer sold in stores. Of course there not, because why would they want to make it easy for me .

So that's my research and dilemma so far. I know no TV has a perfect record, and I did have a failure on my Panasonic which required a board replacement, but again, to be honest none of them really wow me with the results I have seen. You can't judge by going to BB because most of the time, they show slides with no motion so no chance to really see them in action. BB pushes Sony hard. Now some did have "real" content playing from a 4k source and they looked great. I could not see any motion blur, even on TV's where people have complained about it. It could be that the motion blur thing is blown out of proportion. Or, maybe, not everyone is as sensitive to motion blur as other people and maybe I am one of those people. I just don't know. I think what I am going to do(this was Craig's idea) is to wait until CEDIA to see if the manufactures come out with new models. I may be able to handle a 60hz TV. I don't know. My server's video card is set at 60hz so I don't know if that would make it fine for movies but crappy for regular TV. Who knows. But I do think I am going to wait. But what an not willing to do is take a chance on a TV that has a lot of physical failures. There is one Samsung, that is in my price range, that is highly rated with no physical failures, but it only has 7 reviews. So I think I will wait. I just needed to put my disappointment on my thread so I would have a record of it.

My System

Last edited by MIkeDuke; 08-21-2015 at 08:04 AM.
post #1136 of 1139 Unread Today, 06:49 AM
CIH USER

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1008 Post(s)
Liked: 651
Hey Mike how you doing mate? Its been awhile. Just reading your last post make sure the TV you do go of has HDCP 2.2 ( Im sure know but just in case ) especially if it s 4K.

Frank
post #1137 of 1139 Unread Today, 07:38 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Hey Frank.
Thanks for stopping in . I think most of the TV's I am looking at have those specs. I am still in the research phase. Trying to figure out what is real and what is BS when it comes to specs. Also, if these reliability issues I am reading about are real or just a few people who are unhappy. It's hard to figure out what is real and what is not.

For instance. I don't even know if I am prone to motion blur so would I be OK with a 60hz TV? Are most TV's 60hz and the manufactures just B.S their ways to higher rates? For sports compared to movie watching, will I notice a difference between 60hz and 120hz? And are there TV's that really are native 120hz? You see my situation? I did not realize it would be this much work to find a TV .

My System
post #1138 of 1139 Unread Today, 09:24 AM
CIH USER

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1008 Post(s)
Liked: 651
Quote:
Hey Frank.
Thanks for stopping in . I think most of the TV's I am looking at have those specs. I am still in the research phase. Trying to figure out what is real and what is BS when it comes to specs. Also, if these reliability issues I am reading about are real or just a few people who are unhappy. It's hard to figure out what is real and what is not.

For instance. I don't even know if I am prone to motion blur so would I be OK with a 60hz TV? Are most TV's 60hz and the manufactures just B.S their ways to higher rates? For sports compared to movie watching, will I notice a difference between 60hz and 120hz? And are there TV's that really are native 120hz? You see my situation? I did not realize it would be this much work to find a TV .

Buying a TV is a tough one especially with all the BS that goes with it. Are you also going to look into a TV that's able to be ISF calibrated? Not a big deal for many but sometimes it's good to have depending on how high you place the value of pq.
You need to go and demo some and make sure you take a movie that has some dark scenes in it. It will give you a good idea how well a TV can preform. I have in my dining area a 50" Samsung TV and the dark scenes are absolutely horrible. In my sitting area I have a 68" 3D TV from Samsung and that one their isn't too bad ( regarding dark scenes ). Bit of food for thought.

Frank

Frank
post #1139 of 1139 Unread Today, 09:38 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franin View Post
Buying a TV is a tough one especially with all the BS that goes with it. Are you also going to look into a TV that's able to be ISF calibrated? Not a big deal for many but sometimes it's good to have depending on how high you place the value of pq.
You need to go and demo some and make sure you take a movie that has some dark scenes in it. It will give you a good idea how well a TV can preform. I have in my dining area a 50" Samsung TV and the dark scenes are absolutely horrible. In my sitting area I have a 68" 3D TV from Samsung and that one their isn't too bad ( regarding dark scenes ). Bit of food for thought.

Frank
Craig has a friend who calibrated his projector and he said he will calibrate my TV for me. My Plasma was calibrated by a professional as well. I don't know if it will be ISF labeled or whatever, but it will be calibrated. I just want to make sure what I buy is a reliable TV. I know I had a board on this (Panasonic)TV, but I would rather not have major issues with my new TV. I doubt Best Buy would let me bring my own movie to test though. We shall see.

My System
Reply What's Your System Configuration

Tags
Velodyne Sms 1 In Room Bass Correction Kit With Included Microphone , Oppo Bdp 83 Blu Ray Player , Monster Signature Series Home Theater Reference Htps 7000 Mkii Powersource With Dual Balanced Pure P , Playstation 3 160gb System , Panasonic Viera Tc P42g25 42 Inch 1080p Plasma Hdtv , Onkyo Integra Dtr80 3
Gear in this thread - P42g25 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page