My HT\2ch setup - Page 39 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
post #1141 of 1148 Unread 08-30-2015, 03:41 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 243 Post(s)
Liked: 121
Quote:
Originally Posted by Franin View Post
Curious to see what you get Mike. I'm sure it will be a good one.
Btw how is Craig going ? Don't see him much on AVS.

Frank
To be honest, I really don't know what direction I am going to go in. EVERY tv has people who rave about it and then other people say it's the worst TV ever. I mean, every single brand. So I don't know what to do. Like I said, I will wait for CEDIA and maybe CES. I just don't want to get burned.

Craig is doing fine. It's just that he is really really swamped at work so it's hard for him to have any down time for AVS. But he has been helping me and educating me about video stuff.

I just want to pick a good reliable TV. That's all. I want one, now that I know that I can get one, but I want to be careful and pick something that is really good in my budget. Don't worry Frank, I will keep on posting here how everything is going.
P.S I hope your system is still kicking butt .

It ain't easy being green.
My System
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1142 of 1148 Unread 09-01-2015, 11:02 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

One thing I am not sure if I mentioned or not is that I have upgraded to Jriver MC20. I did this because they had a sale and there were a few movies coming out with Atmos, and some that are out now that I was curious about. I bought John Wick. I have read that it was a pretty good movie and that it sounded good as well. So, I did the rip with my latest version of MakeMKV. After figuring out which of the 50 files was the right one, I did the rip. I noticed in the audio section of MKV it said Atmos and TRUHD. After the rip I just played back a quick section to make sure it worked. Since I don't have an Atmos setup, it defaulted to TRUHD, which is the right thing to do . Before, I was just getting a high rez version of Dolby Digital. But now, I can buy any Atmos disk I want and rip that track. It's pretty neat. I have yet to watch it yet though. I plan on re ripping TF4 as well. It's pretty cool now to be able to start to have an Atmos library. If I ever upgrade to a full 4k Atmos setup(with a server) at least I will have my audio all ready to go.
P.S Still learning from Craig and on my own about video.

My System
post #1143 of 1148 Unread 09-02-2015, 09:27 AM
CIH USER

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1066 Post(s)
Liked: 680
I had to google what a Jriver MC20 was. How do you find the media centre ? I'm still contemplating one but not sure which way to go I have questions, how much TB I need? will the pq get affected once ripped? I used to have one many many years ago ( it was like a computer hooked to my projector playing DVDs it was pathetic ). These days they look amazing and was told controlled by remote.
You said you had to figure which of the 50 files was the right one? Is their an easier way to rip and faster?
I calibrate my own projector using calman enthusiast. I used to have the lumagen 2021 in the chain but I ended up selling it and now just calibrate my JVC.

Frank

Frank
post #1144 of 1148 Unread 09-02-2015, 10:35 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
I had to google what a Jriver MC20 was. How do you find the media centre ? I'm still contemplating one but not sure which way to go I have questions, how much TB I need? will the pq get affected once ripped? I used to have one many many years ago ( it was like a computer hooked to my projector playing DVDs it was pathetic ). These days they look amazing and was told controlled by remote.
You said you had to figure which of the 50 files was the right one? Is their an easier way to rip and faster?
I calibrate my own projector using calman enthusiast. I used to have the lumagen 2021 in the chain but I ended up selling it and now just calibrate my JVC.

Frank
I guess I should have been clearer. Yes it's Jriver Media Center 20.
Here is the link for Jriver
http://www.jriver.com/
I also use a program called MakeMKV to rip the movie.
http://www.makemkv.com/
It works great. The picture quality for BR movies is equal to a real BR disk. What you do is, put the disk in your machine. Then you open MakeMKV. MKV opens the disk so you can see what's on it. If you are lucky, they only have one major file that is the movie. It will have a number like this 00756.mpls. Then you hit the plus sign on it. That will open all the options. You typically choose the highest audio your system can handle. Then there is a section for subtitles. All you need to do is keep the "forced" option checked and un-check the other subtitle option. If there is more than one of those for English, I normally keep all "forced" checked" Then you will see other check boxes and files. You can un-check all of them. They are typically the extras that I don't keep. Then you just hit the button and 1 hour later, you have a perfect copy. I know it sounds like a lot but once you do it a few times, it's second nature. I think the program Jriver also allows you to rip a movie in it's menu system but I never tried that.

As far as size of the file. For a BR the biggest file I ever had was in the 30mb range and the smallest was in the mid teens. So on one TB drive, you can still fit a good number of movies. If they put more than one movie file on the disk, it can be tricky. I either ask someone here or do a quick web search and I can find out which is the right one. But it is all worth it. If your system is able to play it back, MC20 can even do Atmos now.

As far as a media center goes, I really can't help you there. The one I bought isn't even made any more and now the guy only sells really expensive ones. For you, it would be a ton I am sure. If your are able, a DIY method would probably be the best route for you. Or check these guys out
http://www.steigerdynamics.com/Default
They have pre-built ones or you can make it yourself through their options. It might be worth an email.

But, if you mean the program itself, it is great. You can set it up so that movies and TV shows are in different areas in the program. It gives you nice wall paper for the background of what you are looking at. It gives a great description of whatever movie or TV show you are looking at. If you put music on your server, you can get band related pictures when you listen to a particular album. All in all I really like Jriver.

I would never go back though. If ever I needed a more powerful server, I would see what is out there, but for now, this one is just fine.

I hoped that helped a little . It really is cool to have over 300 movies and a number of TV shows right at my finger tips. DVD playback is a bit different. But if all you care about is BR, then what I described is all you need.

I know I keep adding to this, sorry, but if you choose to get Jriver, I can do my best in helping you along. The main thing is naming TV shows. There is a certain way you should do it. I can try and help you out as much as I can if you choose to go the server way with Jriver
P.S MKV has a 30 day trial, so if you have a BR drive in a computer, I recommend you just do a trial down load and check it out. Like I said, it's much easier than it seems.

My System

Last edited by MIkeDuke; 09-02-2015 at 12:31 PM.
post #1145 of 1148 Unread Yesterday, 05:16 AM
CIH USER

Thanks for that Mike. I'll have to check around what they have to for offer in my country at the moment. Due to our dollar being weak importing anything from the States to Australia is a big no no.

Frank

Frank
post #1146 of 1148 Unread Yesterday, 06:13 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Thanks for that Mike. I'll have to check around what they have to for offer in my country at the moment. Due to our dollar being weak importing anything from the States to Australia is a big no no.

Frank
No problem. Maybe there is someone where you are who is handy and can build one for you. There is someone on this forum called desertdome. He has helped me a lot plus he built a HT computer for a HT of the month right here. I would maybe contact him and see if he can guide you at all. You can tell him that I recommended that you contact him. It may be worth just a PM. I mean, it can't hurt.

My System
post #1147 of 1148 Unread Today, 05:06 AM
CIH USER

Quote:
Originally Posted by MIkeDuke View Post
No problem. Maybe there is someone where you are who is handy and can build one for you. There is someone on this forum called desertdome. He has helped me a lot plus he built a HT computer for a HT of the month right here. I would maybe contact him and see if he can guide you at all. You can tell him that I recommended that you contact him. It may be worth just a PM. I mean, it can't hurt.

Thanks for that Mike. I had a look around on the web in Australia today so I need to have a look what they have. The dollar is what's stopping me buy in the U.S.

Frank

Frank
post #1148 of 1148 Unread Today, 05:14 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Well, I hope you can find something affordable. I was very hesitant at first, but now I am so glad I went the server route. My friend actually has one. Not as fancy as mine. I think it's just a machine running lynx with no real fancy front end but he is the guy that got me thinking about it. It can be done and you don't have to spend the money I did. For me, what I bought was the best option since I could not do it myself and I liked that it was already built and self contained.

My System
Reply What's Your System Configuration

Tags
Velodyne Sms 1 In Room Bass Correction Kit With Included Microphone , Oppo Bdp 83 Blu Ray Player , Monster Signature Series Home Theater Reference Htps 7000 Mkii Powersource With Dual Balanced Pure P , Playstation 3 160gb System , Panasonic Viera Tc P42g25 42 Inch 1080p Plasma Hdtv , Onkyo Integra Dtr80 3
Gear in this thread - P42g25 by PriceGrabber.com