My HT\2ch setup - Page 40 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 32Likes

post #1171 of 1458 Old 10-01-2015, 04:43 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 420 Post(s)
Liked: 165
I need to pick up San Andreas(out next week here in the states) and maybe pick up Age of Ultron. I think that is out this week. Don't get me wrong. I do really like my setup. Everything works really great together. I would rather have awesome 5.1 then just an OK 7.1. I still catch myself looking at my surrounds because they do sound really good even if they are not placed in an optimal spot. I can say that since it's my system . I am just really looking forward to getting just a little bigger TV so the video is closer to my audio.Plus, two channel also sounds amazing right now. I have such a phenomenal center stage it spooky some times. So yes, I am happy. I will be happier once I am able to get that slightly bigger TV .

It ain't easy being green.
My System
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1172 of 1458 Old 10-01-2015, 06:54 AM
CIH USER

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1964 Post(s)
Liked: 1141
Quote:
Originally Posted by MIkeDuke View Post
I need to pick up San Andreas(out next week here in the states) and maybe pick up Age of Ultron. I think that is out this week. Don't get me wrong. I do really like my setup. Everything works really great together. I would rather have awesome 5.1 then just an OK 7.1. I still catch myself looking at my surrounds because they do sound really good even if they are not placed in an optimal spot. I can say that since it's my system . I am just really looking forward to getting just a little bigger TV so the video is closer to my audio.Plus, two channel also sounds amazing right now. I have such a phenomenal center stage it spooky some times. So yes, I am happy. I will be happier once I am able to get that slightly bigger TV .

Yeah looking forward in seeing what Tv you get Mike.

Frank

Frank (直率的)(فرانك)(franc)(lantad)
post #1173 of 1458 Old 10-01-2015, 08:06 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franin View Post
Yeah looking forward in seeing what Tv you get Mike.

Frank
Me too . Craig and I have some ideas. On the one hand I am looking forward to getting a better bigger picture. Even though people love plasma, I am really hoping that the picture quality I get is better then what I have now on my Panasonic plasma. I drove myself crazy with stuff like judder and motion blur, but I am no longer concerned with stuff like that. On the models I am thinking about, I can't even see that stuff. I just want a bigger picture dammit. But even I have to admit, again, that 55in is perfect for my room and anything bigger would have my eyes and head chancing the image on the screen like a cat chases a light pen. I think Craig said that there is some good stuff coming out at CEDIA which is why I am waiting.

My System
post #1174 of 1458 Old 10-01-2015, 08:40 AM
CIH USER

Quote:
Me too . Craig and I have some ideas. On the one hand I am looking forward to getting a better bigger picture. Even though people love plasma, I am really hoping that the picture quality I get is better then what I have now on my Panasonic plasma. I drove myself crazy with stuff like judder and motion blur, but I am no longer concerned with stuff like that. On the models I am thinking about, I can't even see that stuff. I just want a bigger picture dammit. But even I have to admit, again, that 55in is perfect for my room and anything bigger would have my eyes and head chancing the image on the screen like a cat chases a light pen. I think Craig said that there is some good stuff coming out at CEDIA which is why I am waiting.

Your in good hands with Craig Mike. He knows his stuff.

Frank

post #1175 of 1458 Old 10-13-2015, 07:28 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

CEDIA starts tomorrow. I hope some companies show off some nice gear in the area I am looking at. One Samsung in particular that's already out looks really nice.
http://www.bjs.com/samsung-55-nano-c...?dimId=2000391
It looks like it's only at BJ's because Best Buy does not seem to carry it. In BB the Samsung that probably fits me the best is this
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/samsung-...&skuId=4213306
or if I go all in
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/samsung-...&skuId=3813039
But again, it depends on what the companies come out with starting tomorrow.

My System
post #1176 of 1458 Old 10-19-2015, 05:56 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

TV ordered.
I got the Samsung 55JS8500. It looked like a good one to me. I hope I made a good choice. I should get it by Thursday. Now I just have to wait for my rack and TV stand and then wait a few weeks for Craig to come down and help me with the install. I. I am sure the Samsung will look fantastic once calibrated..

My System

Last edited by MIkeDuke; 10-21-2015 at 04:58 AM.
post #1177 of 1458 Old 10-21-2015, 04:57 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I have a question for anybody who knows video and is in here . Does having HDR in a TV affect the overall black level, and or contrast ration that one can get? Mainly, will the blacks be not quite as black as a TV without HDR? Just wondering. I have no doubt that this will be an upgrade from panny plasma.

My System
post #1178 of 1458 Old 10-23-2015, 12:59 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Again, I hate to have so many posts in a row but oh well. Everything has been delivered. It will not be as easy as I had hoped. The one stand weighs a ton and it needs to go up to the second floor. I hope we can just get it in the house and then bring up the pieces one at a time. The freaking box weighs over 140lbs. I feel bad because most of the putting together of this is going to fall on Craig. He is just the greatest. Hopefully we can bring up some of the parts on there own to make it easier. Next week hopefully will go smoothly.

My System
post #1179 of 1458 Old 10-23-2015, 08:50 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 2368 Post(s)
Liked: 1146
Presumably the TV itself is rather heavy: it has a very large sheet of glass protecting its pixels. As a result, its stand has to be quite heavy, too. You don't want it to be overly top-heavy and prone to tipping over.

Selden

Marantz SR7009 avr + MM9000 amp --> Atmos 7.1.4
Fronts=NHT 2.9+AC2, FH+TM=DefTech PM1000, LCR+TM amped
post #1180 of 1458 Old 10-24-2015, 09:13 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Hey Selden.
With help, I was able to get it up stairs. It is freaking heavy. But the TV itself is not going on it. I bought this as well.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00..._detailpages00
This will be able to slide behind the stand I got which was this
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00..._detailpages00
This is what was heavy as hell. This is the setup Craig suggested so that is what I bought.

My System
post #1181 of 1458 Old 10-24-2015, 10:24 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 2368 Post(s)
Liked: 1146
Craig knows his stuff

Strength to support the TV and lots of open space for the hot air to escape.

Selden

Marantz SR7009 avr + MM9000 amp --> Atmos 7.1.4
Fronts=NHT 2.9+AC2, FH+TM=DefTech PM1000, LCR+TM amped
post #1182 of 1458 Old 10-26-2015, 03:32 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Selden Ball View Post
Craig knows his stuff

Strength to support the TV and lots of open space for the hot air to escape.
Yep.
It should be a two step process at first. Craig will come over Fri to break down my existing system. Then Sat, he will come over to setup the racks mount the TV and probably run Audyssey as well as change the settings on the TV as a sort of mini-calibration based on some settings he found. Then he said his friend(who calibrated his projector) would be willing to come over and do a full calibration on the TV. I can't wait. It's not much, but 55" will look really good in my room .

My System
post #1183 of 1458 Old 11-01-2015, 04:09 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

OK.
I will probably give a more lengthy update at some point, but I just want to say how it all went.
First, instead of Fri, Sat, It ended up being Sat and Sun. So Craig got to my house early Sat. First order of business was breaking down my system. This took some time. We moved all my gear into another room. The we (Craig that is), put together the stand. First we did the TV stand. It was really not a good stand. When we put the TV on it, it wasn't even close to being level. I mean, it was really slanted. So Craig had to rig up some stuff to make it level. I could not believe what we had to do. Then Craig built the long table. That was time consuming but it looked like it was a bit easier, but there was still a struggle.

Then once that stuff was done Craig started to put the equipment back on the stand. Man it just fit. It's a good thing I got the 80" model. Craig and I figured out the best place for everything and then he started to place stuff on the Stand. We got everything on the stand and mostly connected. If Craig sees this, I will let him explain how much of a pain in the ass connecting the TV was. That was Sat. On Sun, all that needed to be done was to connect my raid to my server, connect my cable box and my turn table. Once all that was done we did the audio calibration. That was relatively painless and that was it. We did not do any video calibration because to me it looked great and I thought I would wait until Craigs friend came over.

Now the TV looks amazing. We watched a few minutes of The Art of Flight. Holy Crap . I could not believe how good it looked. It looked almost 3D. But they had that motion stuff on and it was making me dizzy so we turned that off. The video still looked out of this world. We have it in Movie mode. Today I watched Prometheus. Man did that look insane. It looked so damn good. The size is just right for my room. It fills up your field of vision with no problems. I still could not believe how good it looks. If looks better fully calibrated, I think it will be close to the best picture I have ever seen.

The Sound and the picture really go together. Now I have a "system" that fits my room size. I think at most 60" would have been it. Anything more than that and I would have been overwhelmed. I really don't think I am going to wish that I bought a bigger TV.

I just need to give another shout out to Craig. He busted his ass setting up my system. There is NO WAY I could have done any of this on my own.

There is one thing though. I may ask in the Samsung TV section regarding my TV but I will just mention it here. When I was watching the movie, a little blurb showed up on the TV asking if I wanted more info on the movie and stuff. Sort of like, click this to learn more. Like in a BR that allows to get extra info while watching the movie. I know it's a TV setting because my Panny did not have that. It stop about 1/4 of the way into the movie though so I don't know what to make of it. I will watch another movie and see what happens. If it happens again, I am going to assume it's a setting and hope I can turn it off.

But I just wanted to say that I am very happy with the outcome. As I mentioned above, Craig is the man for helping me out as much as he has. He doesn't even hesitate if I ask. He just does it. I find that incredibly generous of him.

Picks to come . And maybe some more thoughts.

My System
post #1184 of 1458 Old 11-01-2015, 05:19 PM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 510 Post(s)
Liked: 701
Quote:
OK.
I will probably give a more lengthy update at some point, but I just want to say how it all went.
First, instead of Fri, Sat, It ended up being Sat and Sun. So Craig got to my house early Sat. First order of business was breaking down my system. This took some time. We moved all my gear into another room. The we (Craig that is), put together the stand. First we did the TV stand. It was really not a good stand. When we put the TV on it, it wasn't even close to being level. I mean, it was really slanted. So Craig had to rig up some stuff to make it level. I could not believe what we had to do. Then Craig built the long table. That was time consuming but it looked like it was a bit easier, but there was still a struggle.

Then once that stuff was done Craig started to put the equipment back on the stand. Man it just fit. It's a good thing I got the 80" model. Craig and I figured out the best place for everything and then he started to place stuff on the Stand. We got everything on the stand and mostly connected. If Craig sees this, I will let him explain how much of a pain in the ass connecting the TV was. That was Sat. On Sun, all that needed to be done was to connect my raid to my server, connect my cable box and my turn table. Once all that was done we did the audio calibration. That was relatively painless and that was it. We did not do any video calibration because to me it looked great and I thought I would wait until Craigs friend came over.

Now the TV looks amazing. We watched a few minutes of The Art of Flight. Holy Crap . I could not believe how good it looked. It looked almost 3D. But they had that motion stuff on and it was making me dizzy so we turned that off. The video still looked out of this world. We have it in Movie mode. Today I watched Prometheus. Man did that look insane. It looked so damn good. The size is just right for my room. It fills up your field of vision with no problems. I still could not believe how good it looks. If looks better fully calibrated, I think it will be close to the best picture I have ever seen.

The Sound and the picture really go together. Now I have a "system" that fits my room size. I think at most 60" would have been it. Anything more than that and I would have been overwhelmed. I really don't think I am going to wish that I bought a bigger TV.

I just need to give another shout out to Craig. He busted his ass setting up my system. There is NO WAY I could have done any of this on my own.

There is one thing though. I may ask in the Samsung TV section regarding my TV but I will just mention it here. When I was watching the movie, a little blurb showed up on the TV asking if I wanted more info on the movie and stuff. Sort of like, click this to learn more. Like in a BR that allows to get extra info while watching the movie. I know it's a TV setting because my Panny did not have that. It stop about 1/4 of the way into the movie though so I don't know what to make of it. I will watch another movie and see what happens. If it happens again, I am going to assume it's a setting and hope I can turn it off.

But I just wanted to say that I am very happy with the outcome. As I mentioned above, Craig is the man for helping me out as much as he has. He doesn't even hesitate if I ask. He just does it. I find that incredibly generous of him.

Packers/Broncos just bout to start. I'll post more later. It was a successful weekend!

Craig

Lombardi said it:
Perfection is not attainable, but if we chase perfection we can catch excellence."

My System

post #1185 of 1458 Old 11-01-2015, 05:21 PM
CIH USER

Hi mike congrats on the new TV.

Frank

post #1186 of 1458 Old 11-02-2015, 04:40 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Thanks Craig. Looking forward to your thoughts and please read this post as well as I am asking more questions.
Yea Frank,
It all went well. I am about to admit to something that I am not sure I admitted to before, but I live with my folks(it's really for their sanity ). Any way, my dad watches a lot of TV with me. So last night he wanted to check out the TV. First I just looked to see if there was anything on regular cable. I don't have a HI-Def box. I noticed it right away but the first thing out of his mouth was "why is the picture so fuzzy?" Now I saw it also but I did not want to say anything but the fact that he saw it made me feel better. I said "it's probably because it is regular cable and not high def." Now I finally understand why some people say that regular cable looks no good on a high def TV. It does look bad. I am wondering if I figure out the up convert feature in the TV if that would help(I was just told that this TV up-coverts everything anyway so there is really nothing else I can do other than trying the Soap Opera effect to see if that makes it look watchable.) Other wise, I may be forced to get a high def box. Now I am concerned about this because I would not know how to connect it myself and I would not trust Comcast to do that, so I have to try and figure that out. The TV has a little separate box with HDMI inputs? I think that's what they are. If all I have to is connect the new box to that, then I could probably do it. If I have to connect it to the Integra, I am not doing that in a million years.

But, all was not lost. We watched Ronin instead. The Robert De Niro one. He loves that movie. On this TV it looks spectacular. There was so much detail that I noticed. Partly because of the bigger size and partly because of the better quality of the video. He really liked the way it looked. I will also say that I did not get that learn more blurb when watching Ronin. I wonder if it's burned into the disk of Prometheus because I know I did not select it during my options when I was first ripping the disk. Maybe it's just an internet thing that I can control? I don't know.

I do think that it's the right size for the room. Now I just need to figure out the regular cable thing. I really hope that the up-convert feature in the TV helps(but I have to figure out how to do that) works. Because as I said, getting a HI-Def box scares me because I would not feel comfortable plugging it in. Unless all I have to do is plug it into the external box that came with the TV. That I might be able to do.

Anyway, that's update number two. Look for other updates that feature pics and what DVD rips look like. I hope Craig doesn't mind reading this update as well and commenting on it .
P.S Craig, regarding the hi def box, can you take a look at this?
**OFFICIAL** 2015 Samsung 4K SUHD JS8500 Series TV Thread
start with posts around 7080. Let me know what you think and if we have it connected the way it's described in post 7084.

My System

Last edited by MIkeDuke; 11-02-2015 at 12:58 PM.
post #1187 of 1458 Old 11-02-2015, 05:21 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
OK.

Quote:
Thanks Craig. Looking forward to your thoughts and please read this post as well as I am asking more questions.
Yea Frank,
It all went well. I am about to admit to something that I am not sure I admitted to before, but I live with my folks(it's really for their sanity ). Any way, my dad watches a lot of TV with me. So last night he wanted to check out the TV. First I just looked to see if there was anything on regular cable. I don't have a HI-Def box. I noticed it right away but the first thing out of his mouth was "why is the picture so fuzzy?" Now I saw it also but I did not want to say anything but the fact that he saw it made me feel better. I said "it's probably because it is regular cable and not high def." Now I finally understand why some people say that regular cable looks no good on a high def TV. It does look bad. I am wondering if I figure out the up convert feature in the TV if that would help(I was just told that this TV up-coverts everything anyway so there is really nothing else I can do other than trying the Soap Opera effect to see if that makes it look watchable.) Other wise, I may be forced to get a high def box. Now I am concerned about this because I would not know how to connect it myself and I would not trust Comcast to do that, so I have to try and figure that out. The TV has a little separate box with HDMI inputs? I think that's what they are. If all I have to is connect the new box to that, then I could probably do it. If I have to connect it to the Integra, I am not doing that in a million years.

But, all was not lost. We watched Ronin instead. The Robert De Niro one. He loves that movie. On this TV it looks spectacular. There was so much detail that I noticed. Partly because of the bigger size and partly because of the better quality of the video. He really liked the way it looked. I will also say that I did not get that learn more blurb when watching Ronin. I wonder if it's burned into the disk of Prometheus because I know I did not select it during my options when I was first ripping the disk. Maybe it's just an internet thing that I can control? I don't know.

I do think that it's the right size for the room. Now I just need to figure out the regular cable thing. I really hope that the up-convert feature in the TV helps(but I have to figure out how to do that) works. Because as I said, getting a HI-Def box scares me because I would not feel comfortable plugging it in. Unless all I have to do is plug it into the external box that came with the TV. That I might be able to do.

Anyway, that's update number two. Look for other updates that feature pics and what DVD rips look like. I hope Craig doesn't mind reading this update as well and commenting on it .
start with posts around 7080. Let me know what you think and if we have it connected the way it's described in post 7084.
Her's a pic of the new system:

No... the TV's not cracked. Mike has these heavy velour drapes covering the window. There was a slight opening between the 2 panels that let light in. It makes the TV look like it has a big crack in it, but it's just light leakage through the window.

Mike, I suggest, (again), that you call Comcast and have them come out and upgrade your cable service to HD. (Ask if they have their new 4K box available. It was announced last May, so it may be available or coming soon.) Watching SD on an HD/4K TV is frustrating, to say the least. Comcast will bring you a new cable box. Tell them you want to use the HDMI connection and ask if they provide an HDMI cable. If they do, you're golden. Just have them come out and connect it to the back of the pre/pro in the Cable/Sat connection. I think your current cable box is hooked up there now, so it's a direct swap. It's just one cable and they should be done. If they don't supply an HDMI cable, buy one here:
http://www.amazon.com/AmazonBasics-H...4k+hdmi+cables
or
http://www.amazon.com/AmazonBasics-H...4k+hdmi+cables
The first one is a 1 meter cable; the 2nd one is a 2 meter cable. I suggest you have the tech install the box on top of the Integra and use the 1 meter cable. He should be able to easily run the HDMI cable to the Integra. The issue will be the power cable. I think he can easily access the power strip behind the rack, but he may have to pull the rack forward a few inches. The sliders are still under it, so that should be no problem. Just check everything before he leaves to make sure everything still works.

You could also have it connected via the OneConnect Mini, but then you're dependent on the ARC, (Audio Return Channel), for audio. ARC has been known to be less than stellar, and may be limited to 2-channel playback. That's the reason I ran everything to the pre/pro and then just the pre/pro "Monitor out" to the OneConnect Mini. That way all the audio processing is done in the pre/pro and just video is sent to the TV.

If you want to use ARC and the OneConnect Mini, there are some settings that need to be set. Here is a recent article that describes the process.
http://hometheaterreview.com/everyth...eturn-channel/
I have the OneConnect Min connected to the ARC enabled connections on the pre/pro and TV, so that's not a problem. We just need to turn on AnyNet+ in the TV and the ARC in the pre/pro. Let me know if this is something you want to use, and if you need help getting it set up. (If you want to stream anything, and you want the audio through your surround system instead of the TV speakers, you'll want to set up ARC.)

Watch this video through the YouTube app on your TV and tell me what the video and sound come through as:

https://youtu.be/Hi_WWhih4n4

When you call Comcast, ask them what HD CATV box they use, and let me know. I can look it up here:
http://customer.xfinity.com/help-and...-user-manuals/
and ensure it does everything we need.

One last thing... also consider asking Comcast to increase the speed on your internet to 25 mbps. That should only cost a couple bucks a month but it will allow you to stream 4K content. Take a look at this webpage: http://www.samsung.com/us/appstore/browse It lists all the apps available for streaming through your TV. You TV is already connected to the internet, so why not take advantage of some of this. A lot of it is free. YouTube alone has a lot of 4K content.

Craig
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Mike's New System.jpg
Views:	136
Size:	104.9 KB
ID:	1035825  

Lombardi said it:
Perfection is not attainable, but if we chase perfection we can catch excellence."

My System

Last edited by craig john; 11-03-2015 at 05:14 AM.
post #1188 of 1458 Old 11-03-2015, 04:35 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

So this is something I need Comcast to come out and do? It's not something I can do on my own?
Man I was really hoping you would not say that it needs to be connected to the Integra. I am afraid
to go back there so how can I trust them to go back there.

Man this sucks. You know how I am with my system. I am worried they will screw things up.
Do they need to run a new cable into the house and replace the one that's coming out of my wall?
I have a Comcast\Xfinity store near me so I would rather do this face to face then over the phone.
We shall see when I can do this.

My System

Last edited by MIkeDuke; 11-03-2015 at 05:18 AM.
post #1189 of 1458 Old 11-05-2015, 04:40 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

First pic updated, it's a little dark but you can get the idea.

My System
post #1190 of 1458 Old 11-05-2015, 04:45 AM
CIH USER

Quote:
Yea Frank,

Hi Mike sorry for the late reply mate, Tv looks good and Im glad you Dad also notices how good it looks too.

post #1191 of 1458 Old 11-05-2015, 04:48 AM
CIH USER

Quote:
Originally Posted by craig john View Post
Her's a pic of the new system:

No... the TV's not cracked. Mike has these heavy velour drapes covering the window. There was a slight opening between the 2 panels that let light in. It makes the TV look like it has a big crack in it, but it's just light leakage through the window.
I have to admit when I saw that pic I thought you guys dropped it but I noticed the velour Drapers once you mentioned them Craig. Looks good.

Btw Mike who is the person on reflection on the TV?

post #1192 of 1458 Old 11-05-2015, 04:55 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Thanks Frank. It's the ghost that I have in the room that only shows up in TV reflections (The Ring anybody ). Kidding of course. That might be me since it was Craig who was taking the picture.

My System
post #1193 of 1458 Old 11-05-2015, 04:58 AM
CIH USER

Quote:
Thanks Frank. It's the ghost that I have in the room that only shows up in TV reflections (The Ring anybody ). Kidding of course. That might be me since it was Craig who was taking the picture.
Are you still looking at calibrating the video side down the track Mike?

post #1194 of 1458 Old 11-05-2015, 05:03 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franin View Post
Are you still looking at calibrating the video side down the track Mike?
Yep. At some point. First I want to check out getting HD cable for the TV. Then down the line, Craig says that his friend is very capable of calibrating TV's. It's the guy who calibrated Craig's projector along with a number of other TV's. If it looks better then it does now, it should really look insane when it is calibrated.

My System
post #1195 of 1458 Old 11-05-2015, 05:06 AM
CIH USER

Quote:
If it looks better then it does now, it should really look insane when it is calibrated.
I believe it will

post #1196 of 1458 Old 11-05-2015, 10:13 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Going to Comcast tonight to see what's what. This is just a preliminary run. If I am right, I have my box connected to the TV with component cables because there are three going from the box to the TV. With the new HD box, I think I can just unplug those and connect the new HD cable box into the HDMI cable input on the back of my Integra. That should be it. Am I right? I should have an HDMI input like that shouldn't I?
Right now I don't have my little cable cable box connected with and HDMI cable (as I mentioned before.) I hope it's just a direct swap. Do I need to do anything in the Integra to make it "see" the new cable box in the cable/sat HDMI input?
Craig ?
It's just that it's a real rats nest back there and I have to gather the internal strength to try and get this done.

My System

Last edited by MIkeDuke; 11-05-2015 at 11:34 AM.
post #1197 of 1458 Old 11-05-2015, 02:04 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Going to Comcast tonight to see what's what. This is just a preliminary run. If I am right, I have my box connected to the TV with component cables because there are three going from the box to the TV. With the new HD box, I think I can just unplug those and connect the new HD cable box into the HDMI cable input on the back of my Integra. That should be it. Am I right? I should have an HDMI input like that shouldn't I?
Right now I don't have my little cable cable box connected with and HDMI cable (as I mentioned before.) I hope it's just a direct swap. Do I need to do anything in the Integra to make it "see" the new cable box in the cable/sat HDMI input?
Craig ?
It's just that it's a real rats nest back there and I have to gather the internal strength to try and get this done.
Your current CATV box is just composite video. The other two cables are L/R audio. Other than that, you're right... you can just disconnect the current box and connect the HD box via HDMI to the CBL/Sat input. You shouldn't need to get into the "rats nest" of wiring. Set the HD box on top of the Integra, (it should be shallow enough that it doesn't cover the heat sink holes on the top of the Integra.) Then run a short HDMI cable to the Integra CBL/Sat input. Easy/peasy. The Integra should find it just fine, but if not, just look in the first Menu listing "Input/Output Assign", then select "HDMI Inputs" and then "CBL/Sat" and make sure it's assigned to the input you plugged into, (which it should be.)

The only other issue is power. The current box is connected via a small power supply to the power strip on the floor behind the rack. It should be accessible. If not, just have your Dad slide the rack out a few inches, make the connection, and then slide it back. You guys left the sliders under the legs for just this purpose. You will be amazed at the quality difference with HD CATV. The Eagles are gonna look... wellllll... like the Eagles, but you'll be able to see them better. (Not that the Packers looked any better last Sunday! )

Craig

Lombardi said it:

My System

post #1198 of 1458 Old 11-05-2015, 05:15 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Thanks Craig.

I understood what you said. I did not have time to go today so I will probably wait until Thanksgiving when I have more time to myself. The "issue" is the power cord for the cable box I have now. So it is plugged into the power strip that is on the floor and not one of my conditioners? That makes it a little easier. At least I know where to focus my attention. I just want to be careful because if I do have to move the rack, I can't afford any cables popping out.
Thanks again Craig.
P.S Even though the Eagles may be bad, at least they will look good .

My System
post #1199 of 1458 Old 11-09-2015, 06:14 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

So my friend from work came over on Friday. He has been to my room before but not for a while. I wanted him to check out my new TV. We ended up watching Age of Ultron. I went by what Data-bass said. They indicated that it went down to 18hz and then dropped off. But my Crowson picked up some stuff below that I am sure. So going on their recommendations, I just turned the level up more then usual. I let him sit in the seat with the Crowson since that is centered and so he could get the tactile sensation. He really liked the way it looked but he has always held the sound I have in high regards and this was no exception. He really liked the sound in my room (great job Craig). My chair was close to the sub. I also enjoyed the movie a lot and even without the Crowson, it still gave me a great feeling in the room. Since I was next to the sub, I could feel the cone moving so there is bass there. It's nice when someone else appreciates the work that goes into your system. Plus he liked the clean look up front. Having the 55in sure did help. The picture looked really good. I am happy with purchase.

I really like my system and truth be told, I am probably done with major changes for a long time. I really can't do Atmos easily so I am not even worrying about that. The next step maybe a 4k BR player. Craig explained a way I could connect the 4k BR player to my system so I can watch 4k BR's and still get the high def 5.1 audio. That might be a next baby step. But the big step would be trying to find a 4k solution with my server. I know of only one company that has those type of machines. So I would probably need a 4k ready preamp and one of those servers. But I am not going to worry about that. BR disks look insanely good as is and the sound is fantastic. So baby step later with a 4k BR player then try to find a 4k server. In the mean time, I am enjoying what I have .

My System

Last edited by MIkeDuke; 11-09-2015 at 12:37 PM.
post #1200 of 1458 Old 11-18-2015, 10:47 PM
CIH USER

Quote:
So my friend from work came over on Friday. He has been to my room before but not for a while. I wanted him to check out my new TV. We ended up watching Age of Ultron. I went by what Data-bass said. They indicated that it went down to 18hz and then dropped off. But my Crowson picked up some stuff below that I am sure. So going on their recommendations, I just turned the level up more then usual. I let him sit in the seat with the Crowson since that is centered and so he could get the tactile sensation. He really liked the way it looked but he has always held the sound I have in high regards and this was no exception. He really liked the sound in my room (great job Craig). My chair was close to the sub. I also enjoyed the movie a lot and even without the Crowson, it still gave me a great feeling in the room. Since I was next to the sub, I could feel the cone moving so there is bass there. It's nice when someone else appreciates the work that goes into your system. Plus he liked the clean look up front. Having the 55in sure did help. The picture looked really good. I am happy with purchase.

I really like my system and truth be told, I am probably done with major changes for a long time. I really can't do Atmos easily so I am not even worrying about that. The next step maybe a 4k BR player. Craig explained a way I could connect the 4k BR player to my system so I can watch 4k BR's and still get the high def 5.1 audio. That might be a next baby step. But the big step would be trying to find a 4k solution with my server. I know of only one company that has those type of machines. So I would probably need a 4k ready preamp and one of those servers. But I am not going to worry about that. BR disks look insanely good as is and the sound is fantastic. So baby step later with a 4k BR player then try to find a 4k server. In the mean time, I am enjoying what I have .

As long as your happy Mike that's the main thing

Frank

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply What's Your System Configuration

Tags
Velodyne Sms 1 In Room Bass Correction Kit With Included Microphone , Oppo Bdp 83 Blu Ray Player , Monster Signature Series Home Theater Reference Htps 7000 Mkii Powersource With Dual Balanced Pure P , Playstation 3 160gb System , Panasonic Viera Tc P42g25 42 Inch 1080p Plasma Hdtv , Onkyo Integra Dtr80 3

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page