post #1261 of 1501 Old 12-23-2015, 02:18 PM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 513 Post(s)
Liked: 718
Quote:
Originally Posted by MIkeDuke View Post
This is what my friend is thinking about. He may put together other options but this looks solid
He has built them before and he really knows what he is talking about. We are going overboard for sure but I don't care. This is what we are thinking about so far
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16814487091 Graphics Card
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16827129075 BR Burner
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16820147360 Internal HD
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16817438066 Power Supply
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16811163260 Case
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16820233716 Ram
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16819117402 Processor
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16813130841 Mother Board

That's it. That system should be able to hold me over for a long time and do above 5.1 or 7.1 audio.
I like the fact that it is upgradeable. If something better comes out(card wise), we just have switch whatever is better.

So I am now crossing over into the dark side.
Are 4k BluRay drives available?

Can you still use your remote and keyboard?

Where is the audio card?

Craig

Lombardi said it:
Perfection is not attainable, but if we chase perfection we can catch excellence."

My System

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1262 of 1501 Old 12-23-2015, 04:53 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 3050 Post(s)
Liked: 1494
Quote:
Originally Posted by craig john View Post
Are 4k BluRay drives available?
Blu-ray disc drives known to be compatible with 4K Blu-ray discs are not yet available for computers.

Quote:
Can you still use your remote and keyboard?
Mike, you'll have to discuss that with your co-worker.
In principle it's possible if one uses an appropriate IR receiver connected via USB. I know there are Harmony remotes that can be used with computers.

Quote:
Where is the audio card?
The motherboard Mike listed (MSI X99A) has builtin multichannel 7.1 analog audio outs (and Soundblaster Cinema 2 software) plus optical S/PDIF out. However, if you plan to use only HDMI, no analog audio connections are needed. The video card provides both multichannel audio and high resolution video over HDMI.
MIkeDuke likes this.

Selden

Marantz SR7009 avr + MM9000 amp --> Atmos 7.1.4
Fronts=NHT 2.9+AC2, FH+TM=DefTech PM1000, LCR+TM amped
post #1263 of 1501 Old 12-24-2015, 10:15 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 466 Post(s)
Liked: 190
Craig, see answers above.
Selden, you are awesome

What I like about this setup is that it is total expandable.
If I want to change a card (or BR drive), it can be done. I am not hardware locked.

It ain't easy being green.
My System

Last edited by MIkeDuke; 12-24-2015 at 09:37 PM.

post #1264 of 1501 Old 12-28-2015, 06:45 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 1088 Post(s)
Liked: 1131
You may have addressed this already, as I'm playing catch up on this cool thread, but I'm concerned that your power protection devices failed to protect your Integra from the below situation. Will continue reading to see how this unfolded.

Quote:
Man I hope someone else is in here besides me .
Earlier today, my parents said a tree branch fell on an electrical wire outside. That made the electricity go out for a minute. Then the power came back on.

With my system, I am having issues. My amps turn on. My server turns on. My TV turns on. Everything "turns on". But when I turn on the Integra, I can't get any of the digital sources to work. I can't switch to the server, cable, or BR player. My TV just says "No cable Connected to HDMI 1. Check the cable connections and the settings of your source device. Press Source on your remote to select connected source device.​"

So again, nothing digital works that is plugged into the Integra(all stuff that uses the HDMI board). But, my turn table, which does not use the HDMI board does work. So, can we assume that I lost the HDMI board in the 80.3, just like I did in the 80.2? AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH HHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH . WTF. That is the only thing I can think of. Again, all of my components turn on but I can't see or do anything with the server, BR player or cable box. I think, somehow, even though it was off the 80.3 was damaged. If it was then I am really upset. In case you can't tell. That means I have to dis-connect everything and have it repaired. But this is just a best guess I have. I have no real easy way of checking. We did unplug and then plug the HDMI cables from the Integra in and out and nothing happened. I think it's the Integra and I think it's the board.

Does anybody have any other ideas or suggestions I can try? I can't believe this may have happened to me again .

P.S the YouTube app in the TV works, How can that work and nothing else work. That, in theory uses the HDMI board right? REALLY, WTF?
post #1265 of 1501 Old 12-28-2015, 01:37 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Hey Matt. I have a Monster Power conditioner and an Audience conditioner. I think when we re-did my room with the new TV we put the Integra in the monster. I think it used to be in the Audience. I don't remember where we put the server. When the guy came to connect the Marantz, it looks like he connected it to the monster. The server I think is connected to the other one. Now, I have other items plugged into each different power conditioner like my OPPO, PS3, TV and turn table and they all work.

So right now, everything works except for my server. That leads me to believe that the server is gone. The installer tried to plug it into different HDMI inputs in the Marantz but I still got nothing. That's why I need a new server. The thing is, the server powers on, I just get no video from it. I live in a very bad power area. I just have to hope that nothing like this happens again.

My System
post #1266 of 1501 Old 12-30-2015, 08:29 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 1913 Post(s)
Liked: 1239
Based on reading this, I would never buy a product from Baetis. Not because it got fried but their response. Their objective is selfishness. They want you to buy a new one vs getting the old one fixed. My server is older than yours and I am comfortable that it can be repaired.

Good for you that you didn't bow to their pressure.
post #1267 of 1501 Old 12-30-2015, 10:58 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioguy View Post
Based on reading this, I would never buy a product from Baetis. Not because it got fried but their response. Their objective is selfishness. They want you to buy a new one vs getting the old one fixed. My server is older than yours and I am comfortable that it can be repaired.

Good for you that you didn't bow to their pressure.
You know Chuck,

I did the whole Baetis thing for a few reasons. One, was that I am not technically capable of building my own. Second, I knew a dealer and he set me up with it. It was good for me to learn on. But the owner was an ass. I don't crap from anybody. I called up because regular DVD's looked bad and I was hoping he would help me out. This is a while ago. He was a real jerk and I screamed at him over the phone. That calmed him down because he was not being nice to me. It did turn out however to be a Jriver issue not a server issue but that's besides the point. He also told me that he was going to stop making my model because the margins were too thin. So they came out with more expensive models. Saying that my model was so out of date that it did not warrant being fixed kind of pissed me off again. Now, they have a less expensive model that I was thinking about getting. My friend at work said "I could build you a machine that would be upgrade able, and would be better then the Beatis." So that is what I am going to do. It was good for me to learn on, but now this one I am having built should be really good and last me a long time. Soon I will be able to give my friend the go ahead to build the machine I listed above. The only thing I don't like is that it is so much bigger, but I will make it work. Now I see why people do DIY. Again, I am not sorry I bought the Baetis because at the time it fit my needs perfectly because it did everything I needed it to do. But now it's time to move on.

My System

Last edited by MIkeDuke; 12-30-2015 at 11:03 PM.
post #1268 of 1501 Old 12-31-2015, 06:35 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 1913 Post(s)
Liked: 1239
I had one phone conversation with the owner when I was considering upgrading my music server to be able to do movies as well. I can't say he wasn't helpful but he was quite full of himself. Major turn off to me. There is a huge difference in being confident and being egotistical.

I had someone create my music server as well. [MusicVault Diamond]. Disliking any version of Windows is not close to how I really feel, and like you, I had neither the time nor inclination to dive in and learn enough to make my own. Part of the price I paid for this product includes life time support and I have taken much advantage of that support.

I know that you will end up with a great server.
post #1269 of 1501 Old 12-31-2015, 05:37 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

I will start getting this organized next Mon. Then, my friend will order the stuff and put it together. I am looking forward to getting a server again. Once you get used to it, going from disk to disk is a pain. As I said, it was a great server and a good one to start with. But now I am ready to up the level a bit. I think it will be a good one. It should be the last box I need to buy.

My System
post #1270 of 1501 Old 01-05-2016, 12:00 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Equipment ordered. Now I just have to have my friend get the stuff and put it together .

My System
post #1271 of 1501 Old 01-05-2016, 12:01 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Hi Mike,

Noob here, I made it through about 8 pages of this thread before lack of patience got the best of me so please forgive me if this has already been addressed.

I'm building my first grown-up system, and recently bought a pair of Focal Aria 926s, complemented by Chorus 705s in the rear and the Aria CC900 and sub500PHP. I'm looking for a new AVR and have access to significant Denon/Marantz discounts through work, but the receivers I'm considering range from $3k to $600 retail, and I'm not clear on what I need to support these speakers.

Usage is split between music and movies/sports, and other than the potential for using 2 speakers in a 2nd zone, I don't anticipate ever moving to Atmos, so 7.2 should be all I need. It looks like all the new receivers have 2.0, 2.2, 4k, air play, etc. capabilities, so do I really need to be concerned with much more than having enough power? Would the Denon S910W meet my needs as well as the X7200WA, at one fifth the cost? Also looking at the Marantz SR7010 and SR6010, among others.

Thanks for any insight you may be able to offer -- I'll be sure to get through the rest of this thread, along with the JML/Focal owner's thread.

Greg
post #1272 of 1501 Old 01-05-2016, 12:37 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Hey Greg.
Thanks for stopping in. Looking at the specs of the 928, I would be a little concerned that they dip really low in impedance. What ever receiver you go for, try to see if it lists a 4ohm rating, 6ohm at the least. Typically JM Lab speakers like external amps to really shine. Both the Denon and Marantz list 6ohm ratings so that's a good sign. You just may not be able to play the system at "spirited" levels with them that's all. They all list
6ohm ratings so that part is equal. I have never used JM labs speakers with a receiver so I can't comment for sure. These are just my thoughts at first look. It may be just a bit much for a receiver. I would pop on over to the Focal/JM Labs thread and see what they say. But if it were me, I would probably get an external amp as well. At least for the front two speakers. Hope that helps a bit.

My System
post #1273 of 1501 Old 01-05-2016, 08:14 PM

Thanks for the quick reply, Mike. This is where I get confused, and others I've spoken with in-store have said that I shouldn't need an external amp.

As the impedance goes down, if there isn't sufficient amperage, the speakers will be under-powered and the level of distortion will increase if you try to push them higher, correct?

So what happens if an amp isn't rated below 6 ohms and the resistance dips to 4 ohms? Will it burn out trying to power the speakers?

Any thoughts/recommendations on Denon/Marantz amps? Will these units impart warmth/coloration/etc., as well?

Greg
post #1274 of 1501 Old 01-05-2016, 10:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by groel View Post
Thanks for the quick reply, Mike. This is where I get confused, and others I've spoken with in-store have said that I shouldn't need an external amp.

As the impedance goes down, if there isn't sufficient amperage, the speakers will be under-powered and the level of distortion will increase if you try to push them higher, correct?

So what happens if an amp isn't rated below 6 ohms and the resistance dips to 4 ohms? Will it burn out trying to power the speakers?
I'm not Mike, but... modern AVRs include protection circuits. They'll shut down automatically if they overheat or if the speakers draw more current than the AVRs can handle.

Quote:
Any thoughts/recommendations on Denon/Marantz amps? Will these units impart warmth/coloration/etc., as well?
All modern AVRs are designed to provide ruler-flat frequency responses at their outputs. Speakers and room acoustics determine the quality of what you hear. In most cases, though, the roomEQ software will improve the quality somewhat, with the details of how they sound being determined by precisely where you put the calibration microphone.

Selden

post #1275 of 1501 Old 01-06-2016, 06:29 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Hey Greg.
As Selden said above, (which I did not know), AVR's wil shut down if they are stressed too much. I only recommend going with an amp because the speakers you are looking at dip all the way down to 2.9ohms. Now granted that is not their nominal rating and it may be only a certain frequency that this happens, but that is pretty low. Unless AVR's have really improved since the last time I had one, that would be pushing it to the limit I think. I personally have 2 amps. One for my front two speakers and one for my surrounds and center.

The 926 have a reasonable sensitivity at 91.5 db. But again, I personally think unless the AVR has a beefy power supply, you may be pushing it to the limit. Both the Marantz and Denon would probably sound fine with Focal speakers. They are both good companies with fine reputations. But again, if it were me, I would be cautious. Just look at Selen's system. If I am not mistaken his system has a Marantz AVR that is probably rated for 6ohm , but his speakers, which are bookshelf definitive technology speakers(Pro-Monitor 1000) are rated at 91db and are 8ohm friendly. So his speakers are easy to drive with an AVR.(Side note, I used to have a def tech system and I loved it ). I would just be worried that your speakers go all the way down to below 3ohms. I may be wrong, and I freely admit that I could be, but that to me seems like it would be putting a lot of strain on just an AVR.

If you can get Denon or Marantz at a good deal, I would probably suggest going with an affordable AVR that meets you needs spec wise, then go for an external amp from one of those two companies. If you do that, you may be able to save money by going with an AVR that is lower powered, but still has all the features you want, and then still get an external amp. Again, these are just my thoughts. If you want to go with the what the store said, that's fine also. But personally, I would not do that.
Hope that helps and does not make it more confusing for you.

My System

Last edited by MIkeDuke; 01-06-2016 at 06:38 AM.
post #1276 of 1501 Old 01-06-2016, 06:48 AM

Quote:
But again, if it were me, I would be cautious. Just look at Selen's system. If I am not mistaken his system has a Marantz AVR that is probably rated for 6ohm , but his speakers, which are bookshelf definitive technology speakers(Pro-Monitor 1000) are rated at 91db and are 8ohm friendly. So his speakers are easy to drive with an AVR.(Side note, I used to have a def tech system and I loved it ). I would just be worried that your speakers go all the way down to below 3ohms. I may be wrong, and I freely admit that I could be, but that to me seems like it would be putting a lot of strain on just an AVR.
It's only the surrounds that are DefTech. The fronts are NHT 2.9 for LR plus AC2 center: low impedance but reasonable efficiency. Note also the MM9000 multichannel amp, which is what drives them (plus two of the overheads). It's the highest quality multichannel amp that Marantz has made for many years, hence the 9xxx designation. I've had that speaker/amp combination since 2001.

Selden

post #1277 of 1501 Old 01-06-2016, 07:11 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Selden Ball View Post
It's only the surrounds that are DefTech. The fronts are NHT 2.9 for LR plus AC2 center: low impedance but reasonable efficiency. Note also the MM9000 multichannel amp, which is what drives them (plus two of the overheads). It's the highest quality multichannel amp that Marantz has made for many years, hence the 9xxx designation. I've had that speaker/amp combination since 2001.
I could not tell all of that from your sig. I did not see the NHT speakers listed. NHT is some great stuff. I remember reading reviews of how fantastic the NHT 2.9 was. Don't think they make them anymore but they were always well received. I did not look up to see what the MM9000 was so I did not realize that was an amp. Anything Marantz is going to be top notch. I can imagine that the combo is very good. Like you, I have had my Focal+Bryston combo for many many years(Bryston amps since 2001 and 2002). Speakers have changed a bit, but my amps have stayed the same.

So groel, it is still my personal recommendation that you at least try and get a two channel amp for the front two speakers. That will make driving the surrounds and center a bit easier.

My System
post #1278 of 1501 Old 01-06-2016, 09:12 AM

Quote:
I could not tell all of that from your sig. I did not see the NHT speakers listed. NHT is some great stuff. I remember reading reviews of how fantastic the NHT 2.9 was. Don't think they make them anymore but they were always well received. I did not look up to see what the MM9000 was so I did not realize that was an amp.
I've updated my sig somewhat. I'd originally enhanced it just to include my Atmos config.

Quote:
Anything Marantz is going to be top notch. I can imagine that the combo is very good. Like you, I have had my Focal+Bryston combo for many many years(Bryston amps since 2001 and 2002). Speakers have changed a bit, but my amps have stayed the same.

So groel, it is still my personal recommendation that you at least try and get a two channel amp for the front two speakers. That will make driving the surrounds and center a bit easier.
Yup. Offloading the AVR should help, if only to relieve the AVR's power supply somewhat.

Selden

post #1279 of 1501 Old 01-06-2016, 09:20 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Got you on your sig.
That is a great system. My first move was going from a Denon 3300 to a Denon 3300+one amp. Then I added a second amp. Then I started my preamp journey.

My System
post #1280 of 1501 Old 01-06-2016, 11:04 AM

Thank you both, Mike and Selden. I'll take a look at what's available and run a few prospective configurations across the thread, if you don't mind. I'm generally a "buy it once" person, so I'd rather extend the budget than go cheap and re-buy a short time down the road.

Greg
post #1281 of 1501 Old 01-06-2016, 11:13 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by groel View Post
Thank you both, Mike and Selden. I'll take a look at what's available and run a few prospective configurations across the thread, if you don't mind. I'm generally a "buy it once" person, so I'd rather extend the budget than go cheap and re-buy a short time down the road.

Greg
I like your idea of trying to do it all up front. If you can, that's the way to go. Most of my upgrades were out of a need(something broke like my preamps), or an unreal deal(going from my 927's to my 1027's). Although some were wants like my server and bigger TV. But going for an amp at this point I think would be worth the extra cash it might take to do it.
P.S if you mean this thread, that's quite all right

My System
post #1282 of 1501 Old 01-07-2016, 05:27 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Server parts should be delivered by end of day today .
Then my friend just has to build it and set it up. Then I just have to load Jriver and
and some other stuff and I will be back in business.
EDIT: Parts are delivered.

My System

Last edited by MIkeDuke; 01-07-2016 at 09:44 AM.
post #1283 of 1501 Old 01-12-2016, 07:05 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Build is coming along fine. Should be physically done tonight, then the software has to be loaded. I hope to have it installed in my system by this weekend.

My System

Last edited by MIkeDuke; 01-12-2016 at 07:41 AM.
post #1284 of 1501 Old 01-12-2016, 08:25 AM

Sounds good! Uh, well, you know what I mean

Selden

post #1285 of 1501 Old 01-12-2016, 09:24 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Yea, I know what you mean. He said it's a tight fit but everything is OK. It is setup so that If I need more video power for 4k, in case my video card with 2GB of ram isn't enough, I have extra spots for additional cards and they will in turn act like one card.

My System
post #1286 of 1501 Old 01-13-2016, 04:15 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Fri = install. Then I just have to map the drives, setup some software, setup the wifi and I am golden .

My System
post #1287 of 1501 Old 01-16-2016, 12:28 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

OK. Server was installed.
Good news is it was installed with no issues. Also, I started a test rip of a BR disk and it was going to take half the time that it used to take me so that's a plus. But there is an issue. Here it is. I will try and explain it as best as I can.

I have Jriver MC21. When I go to play a cd, a listing of the songs comes up. When I move my mouse around a bit looking for a song, Jriver freezes. Sometimes right away or sometimes after I have played on song and go back to the main list. It just freezes up and I have to a ctrl alt del to get out of it. It also happens if you are scrolling along the song list. It sometimes happens with TV shows as well that lists episodes but it happens all the time with music. I even downloaded JR MC20 and it happened with that. So for some reason, it doesn't like lists of things. Very strange. Playing movies seems to be fine I think. Plus I can scroll through my movie list with no problems. Any idea what would cause Jriver to freeze?​ I am at a loss. This never happened with my old machine and this one is much stronger than that one

My System
post #1288 of 1501 Old 01-16-2016, 03:33 PM

I can't provide any advice directly related to Jriver, but your symptoms are similar to what's seen when there are hardware problems. (e.g. Jriver attempting to access a bad memory location or disk area). What kind of stress tests did your friend run on the system before providing it to you? Were any run after you got it? Sometimes connections can wiggle slightly loose during transport, resulting in intermittent problems.

I'd suggest contacting the person who built it for you and asking him for some hardware diagnostics. Running memory and disk diagnostics overnight might be appropriate, for example.

Selden

post #1289 of 1501 Old 01-16-2016, 08:20 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Hey Selden.
By bad memory, do you mean in the server itself? Because all my media is kept off the server. I don't know for sure what test he ran but I think he did some testing and made sure all patches were up to date etc... I told him I am having issues so he is aware. He installed some sort of software (I forget the name) that will allow him to remotely see my machine and work on it. It just seems odd that the issue seems to related to TV shows and music and not movies. Music is on a smaller drive but some of the TV shows are on disks that have movies that work. It's just very strange. I just hope we can fix this because I think when it's %100, it's going to be great. I can try and see what sort of tests I can run but I am not sure what they would be.

My System
post #1290 of 1501 Old 01-16-2016, 09:47 PM

Quote:
Hey Selden.
By bad memory, do you mean in the server itself? Because all my media is kept off the server.
It could be anywhere, including your file server. Intermittent problems are really hard to find, which is why I mentioned running diagnostics overnight.
Quote:
I don't know for sure what test he ran but I think he did some testing and made sure all patches were up to date etc... I told him I am having issues so he is aware. He installed some sort of software (I forget the name) that will allow him to remotely see my machine and work on it. It just seems odd that the issue seems to related to TV shows and music and not movies. Music is on a smaller drive but some of the TV shows are on disks that have movies that work. It's just very strange. I just hope we can fix this because I think when it's %100, it's going to be great. I can try and see what sort of tests I can run but I am not sure what they would be.
Hopefully your friend can recommend diagnostics to run or run them himself. I know of a few, but it'd be better if he used tools he's familiar with.

Selden

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply What's Your System Configuration

Tags
Velodyne Sms 1 In Room Bass Correction Kit With Included Microphone , Oppo Bdp 83 Blu Ray Player , Monster Signature Series Home Theater Reference Htps 7000 Mkii Powersource With Dual Balanced Pure P , Playstation 3 160gb System , Panasonic Viera Tc P42g25 42 Inch 1080p Plasma Hdtv , Onkyo Integra Dtr80 3
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page