My HT\2ch setup - Page 46 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 32Likes

Old 01-27-2016, 04:29 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 420 Post(s)
Liked: 165
I think we got it but I will know for sure tonight. My friend did some research.
He found that there was an issue with my router and DNS flooding. He also found
out that there was a firmware upgrade to correct this issue. Well, I did the firmware
update and my internet came right on. No lag at all. So I am guessing that was it.
To be honest, I did not even know that you had to think about upgrading anything on
a router. Firmware would have been the last thing on my mind since it worked before
with my old computer. But the firmware seemed to have worked. Tonight will be the
real test. But I have a good feeling about it. Now if I could get my Jriver issue fixed
I will really be back to %100.

It ain't easy being green.
My System
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-27-2016, 04:44 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 2372 Post(s)
Liked: 1147
Great!

Selden

Marantz SR7009 avr + MM9000 amp --> Atmos 7.1.4
Fronts=NHT 2.9+AC2, FH+TM=DefTech PM1000, LCR+TM amped
Old 01-29-2016, 04:38 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

And now the Jriver situation seems to be solved. That was being cause by a driver for my video card. It seems that new latest driver is known to have issues. Even Jriver says that if you are having the same exact issue I am having, you should go back one version. So that's what I did. And that worked. My friend naturally put the latest driver on there because that seems like the right thing to do. But that is what was causing the issue.
Now, I can scroll through my TV listings and music listings without it freezing. I did some really fast scrolling, just to make sure and it was fine. Before, it might freeze as soon as I touch the mouse. So know, I am back to %100. It's pretty interesting. I had to "upgrade" the firmware on my router and I had to "downgrade" the driver for my video card. But I have my fingers crossed that I am good to go.

My System

Last edited by MIkeDuke; 01-29-2016 at 05:05 AM.
Old 01-29-2016, 07:09 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Yay!

I've gotten the impression that Nvidia isn't testing their graphics drivers as well as they used to.

I had to back off by two versions recently because the anti-aliasing code was creating sparklies

Selden

Old 01-29-2016, 07:53 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

That's pretty bad I think. In reality, what does a "newer" driver do for a video card do? I mean, why update drivers like that. I guess I can understand the firmware thing with my router (I guess) but what's the point for upgrading a driver for video card. What am I missing by having an older driver.

Anyway, this weekend will be a nice test. It should all be smooth sailing now .

My System

Last edited by MIkeDuke; 01-29-2016 at 08:11 AM.
Old 01-29-2016, 08:17 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MIkeDuke View Post
That's pretty bad I think. In reality, what does a "newer" driver do for a video card do? I mean, why update drivers like that. I guess I can understand the firmware thing with my router (I guess) but what's the point for upgrading a driver for video card. What am I missing by having an older driver.

Anyway, this weekend will be a nice test. It should all be smooth sailing now .
Nvidia driver updates usually are to fix subtle bugs in their support for specific games. Every once in a while they add a major feature (like CUDA, although that was a long time ago, now).

Selden

Old 01-29-2016, 08:36 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Selden Ball View Post
Nvidia driver updates usually are to fix subtle bugs in their support for specific games. Every once in a while they add a major feature (like CUDA, although that was a long time ago, now).
But if I am not a gamer, and this will be used only for watching media and listening to music, I should not worry about driver updates? Especially if what I have is working now? I will worry about what I do if I upgrade my video card or mother board when (if) that time comes. I just wish there was 4k content I could play on my machine to see how it looks. I was told going through my TV(YouTube app) is the TV playing back the 4k content (duh Mike ). And I don't know if watching 4k youtube videos through my server does the trick. Or does it. Will watching a 4k video, in I.E on my server give me an accurate representation on how my machine will handle 4k?

My System

Last edited by MIkeDuke; 01-29-2016 at 08:48 AM.
Old 01-29-2016, 11:02 AM
AVS Addicted Member

I think the ancient admonishment applies: "If it ain't broke, don't fix it!"

i.e. only update if you know there's something new that you want or if it fixes a bug you're experiencing.

Of course, one should try to keep up with security patches, but they don't often affect graphics drivers.

Selden

Old 01-29-2016, 11:06 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
I just wish there was 4k content I could play on my machine to see how it looks. I was told going through my TV(YouTube app) is the TV playing back the 4k content (duh Mike ). And I don't know if watching 4k youtube videos through my server does the trick. Or does it. Will watching a 4k video, in I.E on my server give me an accurate representation on how my machine will handle 4k?
Free and for-fee 4K downloads are listed in the first post of the thread http://www.avsforum.com/forum/166-lc...ted-often.html

I don't have a 4K display, so I can't provide any direct guidance.

Selden

Old 01-29-2016, 11:20 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I agree.
If it aint broke, don't fix it.
I will see if I can any of those sites to work,

My System
Old 02-12-2016, 06:25 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I am just looking for conformation here. Since I have a 4k TV (albeit not with the latest standards) and I have a 4k capable preamp, I should be able to just get a new 4k BR player and be done right? I will be able to watch UHD 4k disks? I don't need a newer HDMI cable do I?

My System
Old 02-12-2016, 07:20 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
I am just looking for conformation here. Since I have a 4k TV (albeit not with the latest standards) and I have a 4k capable preamp, I should be able to just get a new 4k BR player and be done right? I will be able to watch UHD 4k disks?
Yes, although you'll have to wait for the pre/pro's next firmware update for the High Dynamic Range feature to work. The DTS:X firmware update includes support for HDMI v2.0a. The update is expected to be available early next month.
Quote:
I don't need a newer HDMI cable do I?
Probably not, although that's not certain. The HDMI consortium had to define a new Premium cable spec since the "High Speed" certification turned out not to be stringent enough for 18GHz signals. As a result, some High Speed cables are good enough and some aren't.

Selden

Old 02-12-2016, 07:54 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

My TV can't do the full mac daddy version of HDR as it is. At least I don't think it can. I can wait though. But even so, I will need an update to the Marantz to view any kind of HDR? Other wise it would just be 4k without HDR?

My System
Old 02-12-2016, 08:12 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
My TV can't do the full mac daddy version of HDR as it is. At least I don't think it can. I can wait though. But even so, I will need an update to the Marantz to view any kind of HDR? Other wise it would just be 4k without HDR?
Several people have reported actually getting HDR signals even without the firmware update, so you'll just have to try it to find out for sure. Sorry I can't be more definitive. FWIW, at the moment, the only available UHD discs are from Fox and don't even have Atmos soundtracks. Everybody's anxiously awaiting Sony's UHD titles, which are expected to be much better.

Selden

Old 02-12-2016, 08:31 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Several people have reported actually getting HDR signals even without the firmware update, so you'll just have to try it to find out for sure. Sorry I can't be more definitive. FWIW, at the moment, the only available UHD discs are from Fox and don't even have Atmos soundtracks. Everybody's anxiously awaiting Sony's UHD titles, which are expected to be much better.
It looks like WB has a lot the pipe line but all of them may not have audio like Atmos. Some of those I already have and I really don't think I will be doing much double dipping on them. For me, it will be all new releases. I am really tempted though to get a 4k BR player so I can at least see what 4k is all about. But I guess I won't know if I am getting 4k with HDR or just 4k by itself. But again, I am in no hurry. I would like to wait until a few more movies are out besides The Martian (before I get a player). I will still buy them so I can build up a library though.

My System
Old 03-03-2016, 09:34 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

So last night I turn on my system and when I turn on my Marantz, what do I see, but and update message saying that DTS:X is now available for me to get. So I hit yes so I can get in now. About 30min later and a few auto reboots it was complete. I got no error message so I guess I have DTS:X on there as well. I can't test it of course to see if it is there but I am pretty sure I did everything right to get it loaded onto the machine. Who knows how many DTS:X disks we will really see. I would need an upgraded version of J River to play them back anyway. But it's cool that I have it on there now.

My System
Old 03-03-2016, 11:33 AM
AVS Addicted Member

That firmware update provides more than just DTS:X.

The firmware update includes Neural:X (the DTS proprietary upmixer), so now you can upmix DTS soundtracks. It should provide a slightly "better" quality of sound from Rear Surround speakers by removing some sounds from the Side Surrounds and sending them to the Rear Surround speakers instead. The DTS decoder itself "upmixes" 5.1 to 7.1 by simply copying the Surround channels to both Side Surround and Rear Surround speakers.

The firmware update also upgrades from HDMI v2.0 to HDMI v2.0a, which adds support for 4K video's High Dynamic Range feature.

Selden

Old 03-03-2016, 11:57 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Well,
that's some bonus stuff that I did not know about. I am still running 5.1 so I really did not need it since I can't use the upmixer or even run 7.1 natively. The upgrade to HDMI v2.0a is good for me since I have a 4k TV now. I just wanted to make sure I was up to date.

My System
Old 03-04-2016, 07:11 AM
AVS Addicted Member

A complete list of all the new features and bugfixes that are included in the firmware is available at *Official* Marantz 2015 NR-1506/1606, SR-5010/6010/7010 & AV7702mkII owner's thread

Selden

Old 03-04-2016, 08:27 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Thanks.
It also looks like Samsung has an update for their UHD TV's that are 2015 models (like mine).
http://www.flatpanelshd.com/news.php...&id=1441271852
I think it's supposed to up the HDR capabilities of these TV's a bit. I guess I should do that also? I don't know if I have the latest software. I found a little video that explains how to do it. It looks like it turns the HDMI 2.0 into a 2.0a just like on the Marantz. So I should do that as well right? I just hope it's a safe upgrade and doesn't break my TV.

My System

Last edited by MIkeDuke; 03-04-2016 at 09:31 AM.
Old 03-04-2016, 09:48 AM

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 754 Post(s)
Liked: 197
Quote:

I decided to post my system setup on this site as well. I have been into audio for about 12 years now. My system has changed a lot since then.
As of now my system consists of the following:
Preamp
Marantz AV 7702 mkII

EQ
Velodyne SMS-1

Amps
Bryston 4b-ST,
Bryston 5b-ST,

TV
Samsung 55" 8500 series

Player/source
OPPO 83,
Custom built server(post 1258)/JRiver media software with 27.5TB of storage
Sony PS3

Speakers
JM Labs 1027Be,
JM Labs CC1000be,
JM Labs Chorus 705v,
Seaton Sound SubMersive HP(program 1),

Analog
Well Tempered Amadeus GTA turntable
Dynavector XX2mkII cartridge
Dynavector DV P-75mkII preamp

Chairs
2 Lazy Boy Leather Harbor Town recliners
Crowson Technology TES 100 Tactile Motion System(for one chair)
Buttkicker BKA 1000 Amplifier

Power Protector
Audience aR6-TS
HTPS7000

Treatments
2 GIK Tri-Traps.
2 GIK 242 bass traps
4 GIK 244 bass traps
The room itself is quite small. It is (LxWxH) 12.5fx9.5fx8f. But I try to make the most of it. Let me know what you think.
Rather then showing what the room used to look like, I will just show some more recent pictures.
I have that same Monster HTPS 7000 Power Conditioner and its been great. better SQ and saved my equipment on numerous occasions from brown outs and power surges. I like how you can see the voltage coming out of the wall and am surprised how much it fluctuates, not a steady 120V as you would expect. I am glad it corrects this so my equipment gets a steady 120V.
Old 03-04-2016, 10:18 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Witch,
my power used to really suck. I mean it was horrible. It would read as low as 112 in the past. Now it's a steady 120-121. But the power still sucks in my area. I lose power probably more than other people do. It can only do so much though. I did have a massive spike and at least one item that was plugged into it was fried. But that was an extreme case. A lot of people in my area lost power and had damaged goods with that one. I like it because it has enough outlets for me along with my other one.

My System
Old 03-04-2016, 10:36 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Thanks.
It also looks like Samsung has an update for their UHD TV's that are 2015 models (like mine).
http://www.flatpanelshd.com/news.php...&id=1441271852
I think it's supposed to up the HDR capabilities of these TV's a bit. I guess I should do that also? I don't know if I have the latest software. I found a little video that explains how to do it. It looks like it turns the HDMI 2.0 into a 2.0a just like on the Marantz. So I should do that as well right? I just hope it's a safe upgrade and doesn't break my TV.
Well, since your 7702 updated OK, I think the TV's firmware update is likely to go OK, too. D+M equipment seems to be very sensitive to network problems. However, in general it's not a good idea to try to do a firmware update on the first day it's available, since their firmware servers are likely to be heavily overloaded. That sometimes causes problems.

Selden

Old 03-04-2016, 10:48 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Well, since your 7702 updated OK, I think the TV's firmware update is likely to go OK, too. D+M equipment seems to be very sensitive to network problems. However, in general it's not a good idea to try to do a firmware update on the first day it's available, since their firmware servers are likely to be heavily overloaded. That sometimes causes problems.
I am not sure how long the Samsung update has been out. But hell, I might as well do it. I mean, my preamp now is updated. If I get my TV updated, I will be almost there for the best HDR playback I can get with my current system. Plus I am getting my TV calibrated so it would probably be wise to do this update first.

Then all I need is an Ultra BR player and upgrade my server when the parts are available and I will be all set. Jriver can do 4k but I am not sure if it can do HDR playback. But I don't mind baby stepping this. I should update my TV as well right? If it get's me more HDR goodness, all the better I think.

My System
Old 03-04-2016, 11:11 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Yup. Updating the TV seems to be a good idea.

Waiting for a while before getting a 4K UHD disc player also seems to be a good idea. Some people seem to be struggling to get the Samsung 4K UHD player to work properly, while others are having no problems at all. It's had several firmware updates already, with (presumably) more on the way.

Selden

Old 03-04-2016, 11:37 AM

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 754 Post(s)
Liked: 197
Quote:
Witch,
my power used to really suck. I mean it was horrible. It would read as low as 112 in the past. Now it's a steady 120-121. But the power still sucks in my area. I lose power probably more than other people do. It can only do so much though. I did have a massive spike and at least one item that was plugged into it was fried. But that was an extreme case. A lot of people in my area lost power and had damaged goods with that one. I like it because it has enough outlets for me along with my other one.
FWIW the 7000 has replaceable fuses which you can find on the back. Once my toddler cranked up the volume to "11" on my processor and if the fuse didn't save me by blowing on the 7000 my speakers would have blown. I replaced the fuses with a HiFi tuning fuse and it made an improvement in SQ. YMMV but you may want to try it.

http://www.stereophile.com/content/h...ollow-may-2012
Old 03-04-2016, 11:41 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Yup. Updating the TV seems to be a good idea.

Waiting for a while before getting a 4K UHD disc player also seems to be a good idea. Some people seem to be struggling to get the Samsung 4K UHD player to work properly, while others are having no problems at all. It's had several firmware updates already, with (presumably) more on the way.
I think I am safe upgrading the TV. Craig has also told me that there have been issues with the Samsung player. I think my plan is to just buy the combo films I don't have but I am interested in, so at least I can have a small library when I do get a player. I hope other companies release some as well that are not too expensive. Getting ready though is fun. Even with a 5.1 system. At least now my video matches my audio. With 4k, it will match it for sure.

My System
Old 03-04-2016, 06:51 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

So I did the TV upgrade thing. It said that there were no new upgrades. So I guess I have all the HDR goodness my TV can handle right now. I also guess that means that my HDMI inputs are 2.0a? If so, that's a good thing as well. The update had a number like 1442 or something in that neighborhood. There is probably no easy way to tell if they are 2.0a. But, since there was no update, I assume that I am good. Maybe it did it automatically? It may be set to auto update. I need to check that again. If it was, would it do it without telling me it's doing it. This is probably a question to ask in the Samsung thread but what the hell, I might as well ask it here first .

My System
Old 03-05-2016, 07:52 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Sorry, I dunno.

Selden

Old 03-05-2016, 08:57 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Sorry, I dunno.
No worries. If I am that interested in it, I will just go to the dedicated thread for my TV and ask there.

My System

Last edited by MIkeDuke; 03-05-2016 at 07:32 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
Velodyne Sms 1 In Room Bass Correction Kit With Included Microphone , Oppo Bdp 83 Blu Ray Player , Monster Signature Series Home Theater Reference Htps 7000 Mkii Powersource With Dual Balanced Pure P , Playstation 3 160gb System , Panasonic Viera Tc P42g25 42 Inch 1080p Plasma Hdtv , Onkyo Integra Dtr80 3