My HT\2ch setup - Page 46 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 20Likes

post #1351 of 1365 Old 01-27-2016, 05:29 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 368 Post(s)
Liked: 138
I think we got it but I will know for sure tonight. My friend did some research.
He found that there was an issue with my router and DNS flooding. He also found
out that there was a firmware upgrade to correct this issue. Well, I did the firmware
update and my internet came right on. No lag at all. So I am guessing that was it.
To be honest, I did not even know that you had to think about upgrading anything on
a router. Firmware would have been the last thing on my mind since it worked before
with my old computer. But the firmware seemed to have worked. Tonight will be the
real test. But I have a good feeling about it. Now if I could get my Jriver issue fixed
I will really be back to %100.

It ain't easy being green.
My System
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1352 of 1365 Old 01-27-2016, 05:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1970 Post(s)
Liked: 950
Great!

Selden

Marantz SR7009 avr + MM9000 amp --> Atmos 7.1.4
Fronts=NHT 2.9+AC2, FH+TM=DefTech PM1000, LCR+TM amped
post #1353 of 1365 Old 01-29-2016, 05:38 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

And now the Jriver situation seems to be solved. That was being cause by a driver for my video card. It seems that new latest driver is known to have issues. Even Jriver says that if you are having the same exact issue I am having, you should go back one version. So that's what I did. And that worked. My friend naturally put the latest driver on there because that seems like the right thing to do. But that is what was causing the issue.
Now, I can scroll through my TV listings and music listings without it freezing. I did some really fast scrolling, just to make sure and it was fine. Before, it might freeze as soon as I touch the mouse. So know, I am back to %100. It's pretty interesting. I had to "upgrade" the firmware on my router and I had to "downgrade" the driver for my video card. But I have my fingers crossed that I am good to go.

My System

Last edited by MIkeDuke; 01-29-2016 at 06:05 AM.
post #1354 of 1365 Old 01-29-2016, 08:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Yay!

I've gotten the impression that Nvidia isn't testing their graphics drivers as well as they used to.

I had to back off by two versions recently because the anti-aliasing code was creating sparklies

Selden

post #1355 of 1365 Old 01-29-2016, 08:53 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

That's pretty bad I think. In reality, what does a "newer" driver do for a video card do? I mean, why update drivers like that. I guess I can understand the firmware thing with my router (I guess) but what's the point for upgrading a driver for video card. What am I missing by having an older driver.

Anyway, this weekend will be a nice test. It should all be smooth sailing now .

My System

Last edited by MIkeDuke; 01-29-2016 at 09:11 AM.
post #1356 of 1365 Old 01-29-2016, 09:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MIkeDuke View Post
That's pretty bad I think. In reality, what does a "newer" driver do for a video card do? I mean, why update drivers like that. I guess I can understand the firmware thing with my router (I guess) but what's the point for upgrading a driver for video card. What am I missing by having an older driver.

Anyway, this weekend will be a nice test. It should all be smooth sailing now .
Nvidia driver updates usually are to fix subtle bugs in their support for specific games. Every once in a while they add a major feature (like CUDA, although that was a long time ago, now).

Selden

post #1357 of 1365 Old 01-29-2016, 09:36 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Selden Ball View Post
Nvidia driver updates usually are to fix subtle bugs in their support for specific games. Every once in a while they add a major feature (like CUDA, although that was a long time ago, now).
But if I am not a gamer, and this will be used only for watching media and listening to music, I should not worry about driver updates? Especially if what I have is working now? I will worry about what I do if I upgrade my video card or mother board when (if) that time comes. I just wish there was 4k content I could play on my machine to see how it looks. I was told going through my TV(YouTube app) is the TV playing back the 4k content (duh Mike ). And I don't know if watching 4k youtube videos through my server does the trick. Or does it. Will watching a 4k video, in I.E on my server give me an accurate representation on how my machine will handle 4k?

My System

Last edited by MIkeDuke; 01-29-2016 at 09:48 AM.
post #1358 of 1365 Old 01-29-2016, 12:02 PM
AVS Special Member

I think the ancient admonishment applies: "If it ain't broke, don't fix it!"

i.e. only update if you know there's something new that you want or if it fixes a bug you're experiencing.

Of course, one should try to keep up with security patches, but they don't often affect graphics drivers.

Selden

post #1359 of 1365 Old 01-29-2016, 12:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
I just wish there was 4k content I could play on my machine to see how it looks. I was told going through my TV(YouTube app) is the TV playing back the 4k content (duh Mike ). And I don't know if watching 4k youtube videos through my server does the trick. Or does it. Will watching a 4k video, in I.E on my server give me an accurate representation on how my machine will handle 4k?
Free and for-fee 4K downloads are listed in the first post of the thread Master List of currently available 4k HDR titles, will be updated often.

I don't have a 4K display, so I can't provide any direct guidance.

Selden

post #1360 of 1365 Old 01-29-2016, 12:20 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I agree.
If it aint broke, don't fix it.
I will see if I can any of those sites to work,

My System
post #1361 of 1365 Old Today, 07:25 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I am just looking for conformation here. Since I have a 4k TV (albeit not with the latest standards) and I have a 4k capable preamp, I should be able to just get a new 4k BR player and be done right? I will be able to watch UHD 4k disks? I don't need a newer HDMI cable do I?

My System
post #1362 of 1365 Old Today, 08:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
I am just looking for conformation here. Since I have a 4k TV (albeit not with the latest standards) and I have a 4k capable preamp, I should be able to just get a new 4k BR player and be done right? I will be able to watch UHD 4k disks?
Yes, although you'll have to wait for the pre/pro's next firmware update for the High Dynamic Range feature to work. The DTS:X firmware update includes support for HDMI v2.0a. The update is expected to be available early next month.
Quote:
I don't need a newer HDMI cable do I?
Probably not, although that's not certain. The HDMI consortium had to define a new Premium cable spec since the "High Speed" certification turned out not to be stringent enough for 18GHz signals. As a result, some High Speed cables are good enough and some aren't.

Selden

post #1363 of 1365 Old Today, 08:54 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

My TV can't do the full mac daddy version of HDR as it is. At least I don't think it can. I can wait though. But even so, I will need an update to the Marantz to view any kind of HDR? Other wise it would just be 4k without HDR?

My System
post #1364 of 1365 Old Today, 09:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
My TV can't do the full mac daddy version of HDR as it is. At least I don't think it can. I can wait though. But even so, I will need an update to the Marantz to view any kind of HDR? Other wise it would just be 4k without HDR?
Several people have reported actually getting HDR signals even without the firmware update, so you'll just have to try it to find out for sure. Sorry I can't be more definitive. FWIW, at the moment, the only available UHD discs are from Fox and don't even have Atmos soundtracks. Everybody's anxiously awaiting Sony's UHD titles, which are expected to be much better.

Selden

post #1365 of 1365 Old Today, 09:31 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Selden Ball View Post
Several people have reported actually getting HDR signals even without the firmware update, so you'll just have to try it to find out for sure. Sorry I can't be more definitive. FWIW, at the moment, the only available UHD discs are from Fox and don't even have Atmos soundtracks. Everybody's anxiously awaiting Sony's UHD titles, which are expected to be much better.
It looks like WB has a lot the pipe line but all of them may not have audio like Atmos. Some of those I already have and I really don't think I will be doing much double dipping on them. For me, it will be all new releases. I am really tempted though to get a 4k BR player so I can at least see what 4k is all about. But I guess I won't know if I am getting 4k with HDR or just 4k by itself. But again, I am in no hurry. I would like to wait until a few more movies are out besides The Martian (before I get a player). I will still buy them so I can build up a library though.

My System
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply What's Your System Configuration

Tags
Velodyne Sms 1 In Room Bass Correction Kit With Included Microphone , Oppo Bdp 83 Blu Ray Player , Monster Signature Series Home Theater Reference Htps 7000 Mkii Powersource With Dual Balanced Pure P , Playstation 3 160gb System , Panasonic Viera Tc P42g25 42 Inch 1080p Plasma Hdtv , Onkyo Integra Dtr80 3
Gear in this thread