My HT\2ch setup - Page 49 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 32Likes

post #1441 of 1467 Old 05-23-2016, 02:58 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2496 Post(s)
Liked: 1192
Yay!

Although the proof is in the pudding. You won't know for sure if they fixed the problem until it's actually plugged in and generating heat ... and lots of quality sound!

Selden

Marantz SR7009 avr + MM9000 amp --> Atmos 7.1.4
Fronts=NHT 2.9+AC2, FH+TM=DefTech PM1000, LCR+TM amped
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1442 of 1467 Old 05-23-2016, 04:28 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 421 Post(s)
Liked: 173
Selden, I lost it with that heat reference because it's so true. Now, My and Craig's schedule don't mesh for a while so it will be some time before I have it back in my system, but I am hoping for the best. But thanks for the laugh.

It ain't easy being green.
My System
post #1443 of 1467 Old 05-24-2016, 04:07 AM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 511 Post(s)
Liked: 708
Is your room any cooler with the Emo amp?

Lombardi said it:
Perfection is not attainable, but if we chase perfection we can catch excellence."

My System

post #1444 of 1467 Old 05-24-2016, 04:55 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

You know Craig, I was thinking about that very thing last night. Even though I kept the door open, which helps keeps the room cool, it did seem not to get as warm in there. I even had some lights on and it wasn't that bad. Next time, I might close the door and see what happens. I don't know how powerful your amp is though. But it may be not quite as bad. But if I put my ceiling fan on, that helps. And my other fan really cools the room off a lot. But I am paying attention to that.

My System
post #1445 of 1467 Old 05-24-2016, 08:09 AM
AVS Club Gold

It's spec'd at 200 watts. Here's a review on it: https://www.audioholics.com/amplifie...pa-1-amplifier Page 4 has the measurements. It's 67% efficient. It never really got very hot when I was using it. Try listening to 2-channel with the 3-channel Bryston off and the door closed. See if that alleviates the heat issue. If so, we know what the major source of the heat is... and what the potential solution could be.

Craig

Lombardi said it:
Perfection is not attainable, but if we chase perfection we can catch excellence."

My System

post #1446 of 1467 Old 05-24-2016, 08:35 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

So If I notice a difference with the door closed (room seems cooler) when I do that, then we know that the 4b-ST is contributing to the heat in the room. Sometimes, with the door closed and even the ceiling fan on, the room does get warm enough for me to sweat. I hear that a lot when someone comes in the room when I am watching a movie. That's why I try and watch movies with the door not 100% closed. But I will try that with music and see if there is a difference. In reality, it should keep the room cooler.

My System
post #1447 of 1467 Old 05-24-2016, 02:32 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by MIkeDuke View Post
So If I notice a difference with the door closed (room seems cooler) when I do that, then we know that the 4b-ST is contributing to the heat in the room. Sometimes, with the door closed and even the ceiling fan on, the room does get warm enough for me to sweat. I hear that a lot when someone comes in the room when I am watching a movie. That's why I try and watch movies with the door not 100% closed. But I will try that with music and see if there is a difference. In reality, it should keep the room cooler.
I've been in your room when it was warm enough to sweat, but I've usually been working. If your room is uncomfortably warm when watching a movie, or listening to music, that has to be a problem.

Lombardi said it:

My System

post #1448 of 1467 Old 05-24-2016, 04:40 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by craig john View Post
I've been in your room when it was warm enough to sweat, but I've usually been working. If your room is uncomfortably warm when watching a movie, or listening to music, that has to be a problem.
Oh it's been like that plenty of times. That's why I have to try and keep the lights off and at least one fan on. But sometimes, it's not as good as it should be. I always get told it's because I have too much equipment in my room. Not only do I have the equipment, but my room gets blasted by the sun for a good part of the day so that does not help. I have some vacation time coming up. So I will be able to watch more movies and listen to more music. But I have been told that my face looks red and I do sweat sometimes if I am in the room with the system on. The second fan can cool the fan pretty good though. So that's my backup plan. But yea, it does get toasty in there at times. Sometimes, you can feel a temp change when you go from my room to the hallway.

My System

Last edited by MIkeDuke; 05-24-2016 at 05:05 PM.
post #1449 of 1467 Old 05-25-2016, 01:07 AM
AVS Addicted Member

If you don't already have one, I'd suggest getting a cheap thermometer to find out just how hot it's getting. Besides being uncomfortable, running hot isn't all that good for the electronics.

Selden

post #1450 of 1467 Old 05-25-2016, 04:57 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I agree with that. I used to have a thermometer that you could put on a wood burning stove, but I am not sure if I still have it. I guess I could try and find a cheap in room one to use. But tonight I will break out the other floor standing fan so that should help a bit in the room over all.

Last night I did an un-scientific test. I had both amps on while I was watching TV for an hour. Then I turned it off at about the time I wrote my previous post. Then I went back in and just listened to music, which was just using the Emotiva amp. That was about 40min. Then I watched TV again for an hour. When I turned everything off at 10:00 pm Craig's amp was barely warm. I mean like nothing. My 5b-ST was noticeably warmer. My 4b-ST gets even warmer than my 5b-ST. But with both fans on, the room does become cooler.

It's amazing how much cooler Craig's amp was compared to mine. I mean I know that his is class H and mine is A/B and the power ratings might be a little different but still, it was quite the difference. I think Craig's amp runs at 60% efficiency and mine is way lower I think. Probably around 40%? Maybe? Who knows. All I know is that some one else seemed to notice the difference as well. We shall see how it is once I use the other fan as well.

My System
post #1451 of 1467 Old 05-25-2016, 12:19 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Well, don't forget that a breeze makes the air feel cooler because it improves evaporation from your skin. Unfortunately, electronics doesn't sweat, so it doesn't have that advantage.

Selden

post #1452 of 1467 Old 05-26-2016, 05:57 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I just wish there was a way to convert either watts or heat distribution that it is putting out into actual temperature.
For instance if you look at
Max. Wattage 1562W
Max. Heat Dissipation 762W
or
Max. Wattage 1944W
What temp is a heat distribution of 762 watts. I am at the point where just
for goofs I would get a thermometer that you can put on a wood burning stove
just to see what happens.

My System

Last edited by MIkeDuke; 05-26-2016 at 06:01 AM.
post #1453 of 1467 Old 05-26-2016, 11:13 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
I just wish there was a way to convert either watts or heat distribution that it is putting out into actual temperature.
For instance if you look at
Max. Wattage 1562W
Max. Heat Dissipation 762W
or
Max. Wattage 1944W
What temp is a heat distribution of 762 watts. I am at the point where just
for goofs I would get a thermometer that you can put on a wood burning stove
just to see what happens.
There's not a direct conversion between Watts and Degrees. The temperature rise for a given power input depends on what and how much of it is being heated up. For example, you'll get a quicker and higher temperature rise in a small room than in a large room.

I do really hope you aren't getting hot enough to cook a meal!

Selden

post #1454 of 1467 Old 05-26-2016, 11:22 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Selden Ball View Post
There's not a direct conversion between Watts and Degrees. The temperature rise for a given power input depends on what and how much of it is being heated up. For example, you'll get a quicker and higher temperature rise in a small room than in a large room.

I do really hope you aren't getting hot enough to cook a meal!
I have been doing some research and it seems you're right. There is no way to easily convert watts to degrees.
There a few if's in play here. If I close my door and if I don't have both fans on, in the summer time you will be sweating in my room with my system on. I think I will try and find some thermometers that I can use to see how hot they (the amps) really get. But it does get quite toasty. With both fans on though, it does help out.

My System
post #1455 of 1467 Old 05-27-2016, 01:28 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
With both fans on though, it does help out.
How loud do the fans get? And are you OK with them blowing on you? (That would bother me.)

Craig

Lombardi said it:

My System

post #1456 of 1467 Old 05-27-2016, 04:55 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

The Ceiling fan is quite, but the floor standing one would drive you nuts . I am used to it. With TV you notice it more. If you are watching a movie, it's not that bad. I can keep it on the lowest speed and it's not horrible. I have it rotate so it's not on me ALL the time but it does hit you as it rotates. I am used to it. I also have to keep the lights off. That's a good thing in the long run though. You really have hardly spent any real movie time in my theater. If you want to slum it , maybe you can come down sometime in July or Aug for the day. We can watch some stuff without doing any measurements and you can tell me what you think. I won't put the floor standing one on. This week will be a good test.

My System
post #1457 of 1467 Old 07-09-2016, 11:57 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

My home theater is really done. I won't normally have major updates anymore because I don't see my self doing any changes. Future updates will probably just involve 4k. With a player or drive to go in my server. But I am really done. Today Craig did me a solid by coming over and replacing his amp with my "repaired" amp. Bryston said the only issue was dirty connectors. Strange, I know. But Craig replaced the amps and then did another calibration for the audio. He will tell you that my room is not easy. It's small and the dimensions make it hard to get the kind of response he really wanted. But by working with SMS-1 I think we got it as good as it could be. I seem to have a ringing at 50hz that no matter we did, we couldn't get rid of all together. That's OK. It still sounded really really good to me. In the end, I think Craig was still pleased with the results. And I am very pleased as well. We also have the SubMersive in program 2. He said that would aid bass response down low in my room, All and all I am very happy with how it sounds. I can't wait to give some movies a spin again. I know that Craig is very busy the rest of the day. Again, he did me a solid by coming over today. Craig also took some readings and graphs so maybe, when he gets time, he will drop by and post them and then explain what we did and what the issues are in my room. So know everything is the way it should be. And that's it. Nothing beyond 5.1 for me and no TV bigger than 55". So I am done. I know it's only a 5.1 system, but it's a pretty solid one. So that's it.
Thanks again Craig. I of course appreciate all of your help .
One more quick thing. I think Craig is also impressed with how good my center stage is with 2ch music. He seemed to indicate that it was right on the money. And Craig, I did find those lifters we were using so now the center is
aimed up more towards the listener.

My System

Last edited by MIkeDuke; 07-09-2016 at 12:01 PM.
post #1458 of 1467 Old 07-17-2016, 02:06 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I wish I knew where Craig was. I have watched a few movies since he came by. Looper was the latest. All I can say is Looper + my system= .

My System
post #1459 of 1467 Old 08-09-2016, 07:10 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

So,
I know it's mainly me in here. That's OK . I like to keep this as a log of things I noticed. First I am wondering if Jriver MC22 is worth the upgrade. To me the latest version of 21 works great. The only issue I am having is that when I listen to music, the slide show stops when it hits an album cover of whatever band you are listening too. Very strange. There is a work around so I am not going crazy and I have heard that MC22 may have the same issue so since I only have a 5.1 system, and it works fine all other ways, I will probably stay put. I understand that as is, I am good for 4k playback. All I need is a drive and software to rip.

But the other thing is how good my TV is. It's a 2015 Samsung JS8500. The new ones are supposed to be even better but I am very happy with the video. I just watched The Immortals last night. I am Greek so I sort of have to like it . The audio to me is fine. (more one that overall picture later). I can hear the crunchiness sometimes but it's not too much of a bother. My Crowson goes nuts on this one. But the video. Wow, does it look great. The bright parts look really good but a lot of this film is pretty dark. There is a part in about the middle of the film where two Gods come down to help Thesus. Before, with my Panasonic that part was SO dark you could hardly see anything. I mean the people just looked like shadows. Now, with my Samsung TV the scene looks great. It is much better and easier to see all the action. I mean, I can really tell what is going on. The calibrated Samsung just beat up my old plasma. Plus other parts that were dark were easier to see plus the day light scenes were just full of detail and color. I am sure the 2016 versions are even better somehow but I don't know how. I am very pleased with how great the imaged looked. I think that movie is probably one of the toughest tests for a TV given how dark and black a lot of it is.

Now something else that I noticed. It does sound really good. Everything blend seamlessly. But here is the kicker. When I run the test tones through my speakers, I hear sound from all of my speakers except my sub. When I get to the sub, it is just silent. Now I know it's working because I can hear the bass during movies and I can feel both cones moving. It's very strange. But I really think it's a good thing. Now, the room does not get pounded with bass and I don't think it leaks as much as it did before. Plus, it will probably allow me to turn it up more and not worry about the Crowson. I don't know why it's like that but I am not complaining. It is set to -3db and for me to get any kind of sound out of it during the test tones I have to have it at a minimum of +3db. But I am leaving it as it is because the entire system sounds really good.
Next steps are a 4k player and when I can get a 4k drive for my server and then I should be good. I can't wait to watch a 4k movie on my TV.

My System
post #1460 of 1467 Old 08-09-2016, 11:35 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Well, once you've posted to a thread you get notices when it's updated, so there probably are a few people who see your posts

It might be that the voltage of the subwoofer output on the pre/pro is just too low when playing the test tones to trigger the subwoofer's auto-on feature. You might try disabling the "auto-on" feature so the sub stays on all the time while you're playing the test tones. Alternatively, since our hearing is less sensitive to the lowest frequencies, the sub might actually be playing the test tones but not loud enough for you to hear.

Selden

post #1461 of 1467 Old 08-09-2016, 11:49 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

That could be Selden. But I seem to remember that other times we played the test tones I would hear something from the sub. I mean I know it's on because I hear it and I can feel the cones move when I watch a movie. It just seems strange that's all. Not a complaint because there is bass in the room, just strange. For instance, when I run the the beginning of EOT, I can feel the cones and how they go crazy at the end. I have always been able to hear the test tone. Unless, as I said, -3db is too low for me to hear but that's where it's at. Even at +3db I doubt I would be near 75db on a meter. It just seems strange. But again, the sub works great. It sounds great so I am not going to worry about it.

My System
post #1462 of 1467 Old 08-19-2016, 10:43 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I am still think about this sub woofer thing. It's very strange. I mean, when I run the test tones and I get to the sub channel I hear nothing. But if I am correct I also feel nothing through the Crowson. Now, we have the Crowson connected to the LFE channel on the Marantz or the SMS-1. I can't remember. But when I run the test tones, I don't feel anything through the Crowson either. It's very strange. When I run a bass heavy scene I can feel the drivers move and the Crowson activates. I need to do some more testing because it's very perplexing to me. I just don't understand it. If I continue to watch movies and I feel the Crowson working and I can feel the SubMersive working, I won't worry about it. But to get no sound at all during what would be the setup phase has me at a loss. Just confused is all. But with me, that easy to do with this stuff .

My System
post #1463 of 1467 Old 08-19-2016, 11:15 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked: 27
I had a question about what would be the better turntable connection in my setup. I have a Marantz AV8802A preamp with mm phono input and I have a Rega RP8 with Clearaudio Maestro V2 mm cartridge. My question is whether on not it would be any improvement to add a Hafler PH50 mm phono preamp to my setup and run that to a line level input on the Marantz piece? My local hifi store said that would be a better setup but I don't know for sure. They have a 15 day return policy if I don't end up liking it or if there is not any improvement in sound so I guess I wouldn't be stuck with and can try it basically risk free.
post #1464 of 1467 Old 08-19-2016, 12:08 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Well,
I am using a Dynavector "phono preamp". It's really just something like a phono cartridge enhancer as opposed to an all out phono preamp. I would think that the Halfer would probably be an improvement. The Marantz phono section is probably not as quiet as the Halfer. I have used the Dynavector from the start so I can't say that the Marantz phono section is terrible. But what I can tell you is that good clean records sound awesome when using this setup. Since they have the 15 day return policy, I say go for it.

My System
post #1465 of 1467 Old 08-19-2016, 01:43 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Thanks Mike. Yeah, I think I can't go wrong with the 15 day return policy. That will give me time to check it out and see if it makes a difference. Thanks again!
post #1466 of 1467 Old 08-19-2016, 05:12 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Indeed. If you can work on your system yourself (I can't) and they are willing to give you 15 days to try in out, I say go for it. It's the best way to make an informed decision.

My System
post #1467 of 1467 Old 08-29-2016, 06:59 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Just another update by me. Yesterday I watched Avatar. Now what you have to understand is, while I have had it for a long time, I have only seen it once or twice on my own system. For a variety of reasons. But yesterday I was able to do just that. I will start with the obvious. The picture was really good looking. I have to be honest, I don't know how much blacker the screen could get. I mean, it was black. All the way across when needed. But the colors just popped and the detail was really good. Especially on the close ups. All the animals and jungle looked really good also. So I am very pleased with the video (besides one issue which I will get to later).

The audio was also top notch. I know people give this a bad rap for bass but I really had no complaints in my system. I felt my Crowson with my chair so there was some low stuff. Even with the big tree falling I felt some rumble. The engines of the ships also sounded and felt really good. There was some nice movement around the as well with sound effects. But to get back to the video, that's what really impressed me. The colors just jumped of the screen and in parts that were dark but had some bright areas, I could see everything clearly. I really can't imagine how much better the new Samsung's are. They may be better, but I am a happy camper and I am really very satisfied with how it looks.

Now, for the one bad thing . In MC21 through all the versions I noticed a judder with subtitles. They would not be smooth on the screen when another language was spoken. I brought that up in the Jriver forum. I waited a bit and then I bought MC22. That seemed to have fixed the issue. I really did not notice any judder at all. Until Avatar. It was really bad at some points. Now I don't know if it was because the font is not a traditional font or some other reason but at some points it was bad. Then I went quickly to a Bourne movie and Hanna to places that I knew had forced subtitles and they played fine. I will probably do some more testing as well. But it may be that it is now only with Avatar that I have this issue. If that's the case I will just live with it, even though I don't know why.

But I am not going to let that bring me down . I don't know why it would happen with that one movie but since it's just that one I can live with it. I know it's not the TV because I watched The Last Ship last night and that had forced subtitles that played just fine. So I will just deal with it for that one movie. But I am still in awe with how good the picture looked. I have only seen it look better over at Craig's house.
So that's it for now.

My System

Last edited by MIkeDuke; 08-29-2016 at 10:14 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply What's Your System Configuration

Tags
Velodyne Sms 1 In Room Bass Correction Kit With Included Microphone , Oppo Bdp 83 Blu Ray Player , Monster Signature Series Home Theater Reference Htps 7000 Mkii Powersource With Dual Balanced Pure P , Playstation 3 160gb System , Panasonic Viera Tc P42g25 42 Inch 1080p Plasma Hdtv , Onkyo Integra Dtr80 3
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page