post #121 of 1063 Old 08-15-2011, 04:08 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Liked: 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunga99 View Post

Awesome Mike! I was more curious to see if it had something to do with Audio. So let see..... Awesome gear, Awesome furniture, a ton of great movies and music and even Yoga! Sounds like there is no reason to ever leave that room other than to use the bathroom

Yea, it's kind of tough to leave it. But lucky for me the bathroom is right outside where my room is so the trip is not that far.

It ain't easy being green.
My System
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #122 of 1063 Old 08-16-2011, 06:28 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

OK, I really hate to toot my own horn or say how good my system is but I can't help myself. Last night I was listening to mostly music. But I had both my 2ch and 3ch amps on because I was not sure if I would listening all night and I wanted the option of just switching back quickly if I wanted to. So I put on a SACD first. I knew it was a 2ch SACD only. But when I started to play it I could have sworn the center channel was on. I mean I actually walked up and put my ear to it to make sure it was not playing and sure enough, it was not. The center stage I get now is simply amazing. Having the seat in the right spot really snapped it into place more then it ever has been. But it is not just on that SACD or just SACD's in general. On regular CD's I get the same thing. The center stage is just unreal. It sounds like the music and lyrics are coming from the center speaker and not just the left and right speakers. It is really spooky. I just thought I would share that.

My System
post #123 of 1063 Old 08-16-2011, 06:55 AM
CIH USER

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 129 Post(s)
Liked: 196
Quote:
Originally Posted by MIkeDuke View Post

OK, I really hate to toot my own horn or say how good my system is but I can't help myself. Last night I was listening to mostly music. But I had both my 2ch and 3ch amps on because I was not sure if I would listening all night and I wanted the option of just switching back quickly if I wanted to. So I put on a SACD first. I knew it was a 2ch SACD only. But when I started to play it I could have sworn the center channel was on. I mean I actually walked up and put my ear to it to make sure it was not playing and sure enough, it was not. The center stage I get now is simply amazing. Having the seat in the right spot really snapped it into place more then it ever has been. But it is not just on that SACD or just SACD's in general. On regular CD's I get the same thing. The center stage is just unreal. It sounds like the music and lyrics are coming from the center speaker and not just the left and right speakers. It is really spooky. I just thought I would share that.

Nothing wrong with tooting your own horn but its good to finally get there. A tip: leave it and enjoy dont mess with it because you can lose it.

Frank

post #124 of 1063 Old 08-16-2011, 07:36 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franin View Post

Nothing wrong with tooting your own horn but its good to finally get there. A tip: leave it and enjoy dont mess with it because you can lose it.

I plan on leaving it as is for a while. Maybe tonight or tomorrow I can watch a "real" movie. To be honest, we re ran Audyessy when Craig did the new amp, it sounded better then it has ever sounded. I am not sure I want to mess with it but I will probably watch something like The Dark Knight or Tron and see how it sounds.

My System
post #125 of 1063 Old 08-16-2011, 07:46 AM
CIH USER

Quote:

I plan on leaving it as is for a while. Maybe tonight or tomorrow I can watch a "real" movie. To be honest, we re ran Audyessy when Craig did the new amp, it sounded better then it has ever sounded. I am not sure I want to mess with it but I will probably watch something like The Dark Knight or Tron and see how it sounds.

2 great films

Frank

post #126 of 1063 Old 08-17-2011, 06:56 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

OK. I watched one of the biggies. TRON. I had the MV at -12 and left the SMS level at 12. Holy you know what. It was insane. It was one of the best sounding movies I have ever heard. Next, in a few weeks will be the other test, The Dark Knight. But as it stands now, I am not doing anything at all with the audio. Everything is staying as it is.

My System
post #127 of 1063 Old 08-17-2011, 08:03 PM
CIH USER

Quote:

OK. I watched one of the biggies. TRON. I had the MV at -12 and left the SMS level at 12. Holy you know what. It was insane.

I knew it would be. Those Subs are awesome.

Frank

post #128 of 1063 Old 08-17-2011, 08:19 PM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Liked: 308
Quote:

Mike,

Do you remember the first time Dennis and I visited and repositioned your speakers to make them symmetrical to the room? We rearranged your racks to get the CC exactly in the middle, and the speakers exactly the same distance apart, and the same distances from the surrounding walls. At that time, with your previous seating, we were not able to get the main seat exactly into the sweet spot and perfectly centered on the CC, making it symmetrical to the LP. Now, with your new seats, and having the main seat placed exactly in the sweet spot, your imaging has "snapped into place." That's exactly what we were shooting for. I am very happy it has finally come to fruition!

It's been a fun process to help you get to where you are now. The question is... Where do we go from here???

Craig

Lombardi said it:
Perfection is not attainable, but if we chase perfection we can catch excellence."

My System

post #129 of 1063 Old 08-17-2011, 10:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Quote:

OK. I watched one of the biggies. TRON. I had the MV at -12 and left the SMS level at 12. Holy you know what. It was insane. It was one of the best sounding movies I have ever heard. Next, in a few weeks will be the other test, The Dark Knight. But as it stands now, I am not doing anything at all with the audio. Everything is staying as it is.

Awesome stuff Mike!

In terms of Bass, I wonder how much of this is your new leather seats, the new seat position and or the Tron Movie itself. A few weeks before I got the T8s and when my SubMersive was placed midwall, I had a conversation with Mark about not having the tactile feel I previously had when the SubMersive was placed nearfield (which was expected). I'm on a concrete slap/floor with pad and carpet over. Sure I could have turned the SubMersive up more but that would also make me localize the sub (in that location). I also was explaining to him that I was considering getting the T8s and which would allow for more Sub placement options. He suggested I talk to Jeff and get the newer sealed T8s for my room. I also mentioned that the wife and I have also been looking at different seats/chairs and that I was even thinking about doing a riser to get that tactile feel back. Mark suggested that Sub placement was key and a Riser may not help that much but he felt fabric types chairs do let some bass hz get absorbed while certain leather chairs will not have the same type of absorbtion properties as fabric/cloth/microfiber so you may have more of a tactile feel. I guess the next few movies you are familar with will give you more of an idea but regardless it sounds like you made the Best move getting those chairs (not only for comfort and looks but as Craig stated for better location)

There's been only one bad thing I read about leather chairs and thats about comb filtering http://www.realtraps.com/rfz.htm it's the last article at the bottom of the page if you are interested in reading it.

Oh yeah...forgot to mention, my tactile feel is back with the front Sub location
post #130 of 1063 Old 08-18-2011, 04:22 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by craig john View Post

Mike,

Do you remember the first time Dennis and I visited and repositioned your speakers to make them symmetrical to the room? We rearranged your racks to get the CC exactly in the middle, and the speakers exactly the same distance apart, and the same distances from the surrounding walls. At that time, with your previous seating, we were not able to get the main seat exactly into the sweet spot and perfectly centered on the CC, making it symmetrical to the LP. Now, with your new seats, and having the main seat placed exactly in the sweet spot, your imaging has "snapped into place." That's exactly what we were shooting for. I am very happy it has finally come to fruition!

It's been a fun process to help you get to where you are now. The question is... Where do we go from here???

Yes Craig, I do remember that. And I know you remember how apprehensive I was about doing it. You guys worked your ass off that day. I always knew placement was important for 2ch listening based on my experiences with moving my speakers a bit here and a bit there. And then I heard what treatments could do. But I did not realize that your own body position also made such a huge impact. Having you and Dennis over really has helped me so much in getting my room sounding better then I thought it could. Don't forget, it was also you guys who thought to angle the center up just a bit so it was not firing just strait ahead. That in itself made a huge change for the better. I know we have setup my system many many times. At least 3 or 4 times. This is the best it has EVER sounded. I don't know what we did last time that was different but this was the one. As too where we go from here, probably no where for a while. I may try some other things down the line but for now I am just going to enjoy my sound and my chairs.
Craig

My System
post #131 of 1063 Old 08-18-2011, 04:32 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunga99 View Post

Awesome stuff Mike!

In terms of Bass, I wonder how much of this is your new leather seats, the new seat position and or the Tron Movie itself. A few weeks before I got the T8s and when my SubMersive was placed midwall, I had a conversation with Mark about not having the tactile feel I previously had when the SubMersive was placed nearfield (which was expected). I'm on a concrete slap/floor with pad and carpet over. Sure I could have turned the SubMersive up more but that would also make me localize the sub (in that location). I also was explaining to him that I was considering getting the T8s and which would allow for more Sub placement options. He suggested I talk to Jeff and get the newer sealed T8s for my room. I also mentioned that the wife and I have also been looking at different seats/chairs and that I was even thinking about doing a riser to get that tactile feel back. Mark suggested that Sub placement was key and a Riser may not help that much but he felt fabric types chairs do let some bass hz get absorbed while certain leather chairs will not have the same type of absorbtion properties as fabric/cloth/microfiber so you may have more of a tactile feel. I guess the next few movies you are familar with will give you more of an idea but regardless it sounds like you made the Best move getting those chairs (not only for comfort and looks but as Craig stated for better location)

There's been only one bad thing I read about leather chairs and thats about comb filtering http://www.realtraps.com/rfz.htm it's the last article at the bottom of the page if you are interested in reading it.

Oh yeah...forgot to mention, my tactile feel is back with the front Sub location

The next few movies will probably be the big bass monsters. In no particular order, The Dark Knight BR, Live Free Die Hard SD, Cloverfield SD, HTTYD BR WOTW BR. And maybe Transformers ROTF BR. I should be able to get a good feel, so to speak, on how the tactile effect may have changed. But my seats were still shaking a bit with TRON. You see, when Craig did the the last calibration, I had leather seats in my room. So that part is still the same. These are just not as puffy as the last one. So I don't know how much it will really change if I were to do it again. To be quite honest, I am afraid to do it again because I am afraid we won't get it sounding this good. So I am just going to leave it.

My System
post #132 of 1063 Old 08-18-2011, 04:41 AM
CIH USER

Quote:

The next few movies will probably be the big bass monsters. In no particular order, The Dark Knight BR, Live Free Die Hard SD, Cloverfield SD, HTTYD BR WOTW BR. And maybe Transformers ROTF BR. I should be able to get a good feel, so to speak, on how the tactile effect may have changed. But my seats were still shaking a bit with TRON. You see, when Craig did the the last calibration, I had leather seats in my room. So that part is still the same. These are just not as puffy as the last one. So I don't know how much it will really change if I were to do it again. To be quite honest, I am afraid to do it again because I am afraid we won't get it sounding this good. So I am just going to leave it.

I have! but by saying that my pre amp is getting upgrades so I will have to go again if I decided to do it.

Mike if your happy and its putting a smile on your face when watching movies then leave it.

Frank

post #133 of 1063 Old 08-18-2011, 05:20 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I have! but by saying that my pre amp is getting upgrades so I will have to go again if I decided to do it.

Mike if your happy and its putting a smile on your face when watching movies then leave it.

I am happy. And the smile is most definitely there. Like I said, I am not touching anything. Your Denon will be getting an upgrade? What sort of upgrades will it be getting. I can say that the Integra 80.2 has been so easy to work with and I have had zero problems with it.

My System
post #134 of 1063 Old 08-18-2011, 05:44 AM
CIH USER

Quote:

I am happy. And the smile is most definitely there. Like I said, I am not touching anything. Your Denon will be getting an upgrade? What sort of upgrades will it be getting. I can say that the Integra 80.2 has been so easy to work with and I have had zero problems with it.

Over here in Europe our Denons did not get the Audyssey pro but this upgrade we get the Pro + XT32 + Dts NEo X( The new one ) + 3D passthrough(Not really interested)+ Height and wide.

Frank

post #135 of 1063 Old 08-18-2011, 06:01 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Over here in Europe our Denons did not get the Audyssey pro but this upgrade we get the Pro + XT32 + Dts NEo X( The new one ) + 3D passthrough(Not really interested)+ Height and wide.

That will be a big plus. My Integra has XT32 but I have not had a pro install. The XT32 should really take your system to a whole other level.

My System
post #136 of 1063 Old 08-20-2011, 11:28 PM
CIH USER

Quote:

That will be a big plus. My Integra has XT32 but I have not had a pro install. The XT32 should really take your system to a whole other level.

Hey Mike how much are the Integra 80.2 (the pre amp)?

Frank

post #137 of 1063 Old 08-22-2011, 11:16 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I think the U.S retail is something like $2300.

My System
post #138 of 1063 Old 08-22-2011, 05:05 PM
CIH USER

Quote:

I think the U.S retail is something like $2300.

There double the price over here.

Frank

post #139 of 1063 Old 08-23-2011, 06:17 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
There double the price over here.
Sorry to hear that. Was your Denon more than then that? If it is double the price, and your Denon still works, then maybe you should just upgrade it.

My System
post #140 of 1063 Old 08-23-2011, 09:41 PM
CIH USER

Quote:

Sorry to hear that. Was your Denon more than then that? If it is double the price, and your Denon still works, then maybe you should just upgrade it.

Im going to upgrade it i was just curious to know the price. Thanks Mike

Frank

post #141 of 1063 Old 08-24-2011, 07:36 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Im going to upgrade it i was just curious to know the price. Thanks Mike

That's cool. I know that the Denon is a top flight preamp and it's great that you can upgrade it. I am very happy with the Integra and will probably keep it for a long time. It sounds great, works great, and does everything I need.

My System
post #142 of 1063 Old 08-28-2011, 11:54 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Just watched TDK. It sounded fantastic. Crystal clear and just plain great sounding. It was at -13db. Not strain, no ear ache, no distortion I could tell. I could have probably taken it to -10db but I just want to go with this level for a few more movies. I have to thank Craig again for the latest EQ he did. We will take some more measurements at some point to see if there are any other oustanding issues but I don't expect to find any. Plus the chairs are still quite comfy.

My System
post #143 of 1063 Old 08-28-2011, 01:11 PM
AVS Club Gold

After everything you've been through with the sub amp and the bad speaker cable, it's good to hear you're back to thoroughly enjoying your system.

Craig

Lombardi said it:
Perfection is not attainable, but if we chase perfection we can catch excellence."

My System

post #144 of 1063 Old 08-28-2011, 01:40 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Oh yes I am Craig. I am enjoying it very much. As I am sure you will really enjoy yours when you get your seats. Since my schedule is more flexible then yours, why don't you let me know when you and possibly Dennis will have time on a Sat to swing down. We can take some measurements, listen to some music and watch movies or clips. Just let me know.

My System
post #145 of 1063 Old 08-30-2011, 05:42 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I think if you are in this thread, and you have read it or you have seen my posts in the JM Labs(Focal) thread, you can tell that I am a big fan of their speakers. I was drawn to them from the very first time I heard them. I enjoyed them more the other speakers that were at the main store I went to. Those included B&W, Wilson, Dynaudio and Martin Logan. The JM Labs, whether it was the Utopia Be speakers, or the old Electra speakers was where I spent my time. When I had the chance to upgrade I went to the 927 be's. This was the first time a be tweeter was in a speaker other then a Utopia speaker. They were great speakers. I bought them without listening first. I knew I would love them so there was no need to listen to them. Then came the chance for me to get the 1027's at an unheard of price so I jumped on them. They are some of the best speakers I have listened to. For me, they just "do it". Everything I have done around them have made them sound better. In 2ch, no sub, they just fill the room with music. Don't be fooled by the fact they only have dual 6 1/2 in woofers in each speaker. They really are very solid in the bass department. But it's the entire package that makes them special to me. Given the price I spent, it would take a lot for me to change them. I found a nice video about Focal. I figured I would post it in here in case anybody wanted to see it.
http://www.youtube.com/v/ZMTAceNVsfw&rel=0&hl=en_US
It is a very nice video. I have a few things left to do. Some would call then tweaks but I have heard what one of them can do so it is on the list. But I can see the light at the end of the tunnel.

I also want to again, thank Craig for his help. We started talking and I was curious about doing some tests on my system. I said that I would really like to test my system but I could not. Craig said, "no problem, I will come over and help you out." I thought that was very generous of him. Through more discussions and visits,from him and Dennis, my system is the way it is now. It's also the reason it sounds stellar. So that's it for now. I know this was a long one and thanks if you made it this far .

My System
post #146 of 1063 Old 09-14-2011, 04:38 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I know it's just me posting here but who cares . I have been listening to a lot of records lately. I really like the sound of good clean vinyl through this system. It sounds so sweet and just pure. The turn table and cart just make the music apear in the room. The sound stage I can get is really amazing. But at the same time there is instrument placement in each speaker. I have a few tweaks in the future that will help me out even more but right now I am enjoying 2ch very much. Still a movie guy also though. Don't let that fool you. X-Men First Class sounded awesome and I am looking forward to getting THOR.

My System
post #147 of 1063 Old 09-14-2011, 11:14 AM
FOH
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 208
Quote:

I know it's just me posting here but who cares .

I care Mike I've always enjoyed your posts, and watching your system and room progress has be very interesting. You brought up a good point, vinyl listening in your room,..how is it with the SubM? Does it create problems with LF acoustical/mechanical feedback?

All the best

------------------------------------
Flat, Deep, Clean, Linear, and Loud
------------------------------------
Active 16.8kw, 7.3 system
(3)Seaton Cat12C up front, (4)QSC K8 sides/rears
(2)Seaton SubM-HP, (4)18" IB
post #148 of 1063 Old 09-14-2011, 08:30 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:

I know it's just me posting here but who cares . I have been listening to a lot of records lately. I really like the sound of good clean vinyl through this system. It sounds so sweet and just pure. The turn table and cart just make the music apear in the room. The sound stage I can get is really amazing. But at the same time there is instrument placement in each speaker. I have a few tweaks in the future that will help me out even more but right now I am enjoying 2ch very much. Still a movie guy also though. Don't let that fool you. X-Men First Class sounded awesome and I am looking forward to getting THOR.

Hi Mike,

Good to hear you're enjoying your vinyl and your system. Do you have anything on both vinyl and CD? If so, it would be interesting to hear your thoughts on how the 2 different mediums portray the same content.

Keep on keepin' on, my friend.

Craig

Lombardi said it:

My System

post #149 of 1063 Old 09-16-2011, 06:32 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by craig john View Post

Hi Mike,

Good to hear you're enjoying your vinyl and your system. Do you have anything on both vinyl and CD? If so, it would be interesting to hear your thoughts on how the 2 different mediums portray the same content.

Keep on keepin' on, my friend.

Craig

Thanks Craig. Yea. I think I have a few. I have some Allman Brothers and AC/DC. I also have the SACD DSOTM and I have that on Vinyl. I also have "The Wall" on record and CD. So yea, I have a few tests I can do. Beyond that I just have the same Artists but not the same albums. Part of me really getting back into records is because we moved the racks the way we did. It is much easier for me to get to the TT now that it is on the right side of the room. I might do a comparison of one of those artists at some time. Not that the OPPO sounds bad, because it does not. To be honest, I was very surprised that it sounds as good as it does. But the records just sound better to ME. Just more natural and it feels like I am in the music. If I get the chance, I will do some comparisons. This weekend is tight with Temple Foot ball, GO OWLS and Sunday football, but I will do it at some point.

My System
post #150 of 1063 Old 09-16-2011, 06:38 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FOH View Post

I care Mike I've always enjoyed your posts, and watching your system and room progress has be very interesting. You brought up a good point, vinyl listening in your room,..how is it with the SubM? Does it create problems with LF acoustical/mechanical feedback?

All the best

Thanks. The phono preamp is not a "real" full fledged preamp. It it sort of a preamp that amps the cart so the table can run. Since it is connected to the Integra, if I wanted to, I could use any mode the Integra has for record listening. I typically listen in bypass mode though with no sub at all. There is no feedback at all from the sub. I have the expected analog hum sometimes but it is very faint and when a record is playing you can't even here it. Even between songs. You have to really crank the level with no record running to hear it. Like I said before, on good clean records, there are no pops or cracks and you only hear quiet between each song.

My System
Reply What's Your System Configuration

Tags
Velodyne Sms 1 In Room Bass Correction Kit With Included Microphone , Oppo Bdp 83 Blu Ray Player , Monster Signature Series Home Theater Reference Htps 7000 Mkii Powersource With Dual Balanced Pure P , Playstation 3 160gb System , Panasonic Viera Tc P42g25 42 Inch 1080p Plasma Hdtv , Onkyo Integra Dtr80 3
Gear in this thread - P42g25 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page