AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2684 Post(s)
Liked: 1299
Quote:
Originally Posted by MIkeDuke View Post
Cool.
It just looked very strange to just see DTS:X in big letters as opposed to seeing a layout of speakers that say, Atmos supports. I mean, when I play an Atmos disk, it doesn't say Atmos in the bottom section.
That's very strange. When the incoming signal is Atmos, the bottom-left (input signal) display should just say Atmos. If it shows 7.1 separate channels, then the incoming signal doesn't contain the Atmos metadata: it's just Dolby TrueHD.
Quote:
I am just happy that my system can rip and play DTS:X disks .

Selden

Marantz SR7009 avr + MM9000 amp --> Atmos 7.1.4
Fronts=NHT 2.9+AC2, FH+TM=DefTech PM1000, LCR+TM amped
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1472 of 1496 Old 09-26-2016, 12:02 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 463 Post(s)
Liked: 187
I will have to double check. We may be talking about two different sections on the same popup screen in my Marantz. I think I have been ripping Atmos so I will see what it says and try to write it down specifically.

It ain't easy being green.
My System
post #1473 of 1496 Old 09-26-2016, 02:00 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

So just to be clear, when I watch a movie that I think I ripped in Atmos, I should only see the word Atmos when I press the button on the Marantz remote that shows me what audio format I am playing back. It should not say TRU-HD, even though that's the base audio and since I am running just 5.1, it's all I get.

My System
post #1474 of 1496 Old 09-27-2016, 07:24 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
So just to be clear, when I watch a movie that I think I ripped in Atmos, I should only see the word Atmos when I press the button on the Marantz remote that shows me what audio format I am playing back. It should not say TRU-HD, even though that's the base audio and since I am running just 5.1, it's all I get.
Correct: it just says Atmos in the graphic display at the bottom left of the Info screen.

Selden

post #1475 of 1496 Old 09-27-2016, 07:31 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Selden Ball View Post
Correct: it just says Atmos in the graphic display at the bottom left of the Info screen.
Well, if that's the case, then I have been ripping my Atmos BR's wrong. Because it says TRUHD and then shows me a layout of speakers. I have Expendables 3 that is only ripped in Dolby Digital because that's all I could do way back when. My MKV program could not do Atmos but it may be able to now. I am using DVDFab9 for everything now and maybe I not picking the right audio. I don't think I see an Atmos option in there for audio. Just TRUHD and the something like, oh crap I can't remember what it says, but it's right below the TRUHD option and for Atmos disks I just check them both. I guess when I have time, I need to experiment a bit.
P.S I guess what I can do is put in some Atmos disks and report back what I see for audio choices in MKV and DVDfab9. Just so people see what I see.

My System

Last edited by MIkeDuke; 09-27-2016 at 07:40 AM.
post #1476 of 1496 Old 09-29-2016, 11:19 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

So here is the deal. Way back when, I ripped Expendables 3. Now, I had to rip it in only Dolby Digital format at the time because for some reason, and I can't remember why, I could not play back the Atmos\Truhd soundtrack. But I always wanted to upgrade it some day. Well, that was the disk I tried today. I used MakeMKV. The audio I selected said TRUHD\Atmos next to it. When I was all done I played it back and I did not see the word Atmos in the playbacj section. On the bottom I just saw a diagram of a 7.1 channel layout which I know is the bed for an Atmos soundtrack. Who knows. All the movies I have done so far sound great in 5.1 and I don't see myself going to Atmos anytime soon so I am not going to worry about it. We will see what happens in the future. But as is, All my disks that are Atmos but that may be only giving me 7.1 sound awesome so again, I am not going to fret over it.

My System
post #1477 of 1496 Old 09-30-2016, 05:51 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

One more issue . I ripped Captain America CW. It went all the way through but for some reason the forced subs did not come through. So I said, not a big deal, I will just do it again. Well, I have tried 5 times, with two different programs and when it gets to 50% it fails. Very upsetting. I will still try. I am not giving up. If it worked once, it should work again. Unless they figured out a way to make it fail after you rip it one time.
P.S
It seems that other people were also having issues with the forced subs. Someone using MakeMKV said that you have to select the English subs that are not even forced. But then someone else said that it didn't work either. I guess I will have to keep experimenting, hoping I can even get it to rip in the first place.

My System

Last edited by MIkeDuke; 09-30-2016 at 07:50 AM.
post #1478 of 1496 Old 09-30-2016, 08:45 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Sorry, I have no personal experience with ripping, but it sounds to me like your Atmos problems might be due to a limitation or a configuration setting in your ripping software. I suggest asking for help in the HTPC forum. http://www.avsforum.com/forum/26-hom...ter-computers/

The failure at the 50% point might have any of a number of causes. I'd first check to make sure the disc itself isn't damaged. You might try playing it on a standalone player, for example. Alternatively it might be another bug in the ripping software. See my suggestion above.

Selden

post #1479 of 1496 Old 09-30-2016, 08:52 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

That's OK Selden. You can't know EVERYTHING . I might pop in there but since I am still getting TRUHD and I am not going Atmos anytime soon, I won't fret about it too much. But I will see if there are any clear options I can see in the software. I am more upset about the CA not ripping issue . I guess the first test would be to play it through my OPPO and see if I get through the entire movie.

My System
post #1480 of 1496 Old 10-03-2016, 05:44 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

I figured it out on my own. Instead of just checking off one box in the "Forced subtitle" section I had to check off two. When I did that, the Russian was translated but the English did not have any subs underneath when it was spoken. I am someone who does not give up easily and it just took some time using different combos. Even though some people wanted me to get more software. I knew there was a way, I just had to figure it out.
P.S and it wasn't failing. It was just taking a long time. Using DVDFab9, you can see the % of how much is done and how much time is left. Well, at certain a certain point it would not go above 50% complete and the time it said it needed to complete actually went higher. For ex, it may say 15:25 left. But then the time would go up to 18:43 left. I thought it was failing. But this time let it go all the way through and it eventually started to go back down again. Very strange but from what I can tell, it looks like it worked.

My System

Last edited by MIkeDuke; 10-10-2016 at 07:09 PM.
post #1481 of 1496 Old 10-12-2016, 06:00 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

It's me, again . I just wanted to say again how happy I am with the picture I am getting from my TV. Even though it's a 2015 model, and the 2016 ones are supposed to be better, I am very happy. I watched The Expendables 3 last night. I know it's not a reference movie but it's a fun pop corn movie IMO. Well, the video looked incredible. There were some night scenes that were very impressive, Shots of some cityscapes also looked really good. All in all I am very impressed and I have regrets at all.

I don't know how it measures though and everyone talks about the blacks on a TV. Well, I don't know how much more black it can get. On fade scenes (transition scenes) it looks pitch black to me. I mean if's not like a grey black. It's freaking black. I don't know the measurements though. On the other side of the spectrum, the whites get really bright. I mean, I can feel mu pupils adjusting . Again, I don't have any numbers to back up what I am seeing and if I did, they probably would not look that impressive. All I can say is that from deep black to bright white and every color in between I am very impressed with this TV. Now I am really excited to get that OPPO and see what 4k looks like.

The only thing is the connection. I am using a Samsung JS8500. It has that little box that helps you connect the TV to your system. But I think the BR player I have now is connected directly to my Marantz. I think it is. Craig did all that stuff for me. I am hoping that all I have to do is connect the OPPO to the Marantz. But I don't know if there are only certain HDMI inputs that give you full 4k resolution with the Marantz or my TV. I am hoping it is just a plain cable and player swap and I can plug the the new cable into where the current cable is. But then I am wondering if I need to change anything in my TV menu or my Marantz menu. See, this is where I get confused . But I will deal with that when the time comes.

My System
post #1482 of 1496 Old 10-12-2016, 01:50 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
I
The only thing is the connection. I am using a Samsung JS8500. It has that little box that helps you connect the TV to your system. But I think the BR player I have now is connected directly to my Marantz. I think it is. Craig did all that stuff for me. I am hoping that all I have to do is connect the OPPO to the Marantz. But I don't know if there are only certain HDMI inputs that give you full 4k resolution with the Marantz or my TV. I am hoping it is just a plain cable and player swap and I can plug the the new cable into where the current cable is. But then I am wondering if I need to change anything in my TV menu or my Marantz menu. See, this is where I get confused . But I will deal with that when the time comes.
I don't think you'll need to change anything in the pre/pro's menus.

Unlike equipment from other manufacturers, who provide a limited number of 4K ports, current D+M products, including the pre/pro that you have, provide full 4K @60 fps support on all of the back-panel HDMI inputs. Unfortunately, the one on the front panel has been found to support only 4k @30fps . I suspect the limitation is because its cable-run to the the primary HDMI chipset is too long so it uses its own cheaper chip. Although it's fine for movie material at 24 fps, my understanding is that current 4K players use full 4K @60 fps for their own menus, which is rather annoying.

Also, quite a few people have found that their older HDMI cables cause problems. New "Certified Premium" cables usually are needed in order to minimize intermittent audio and video dropouts when playing 4K material.

(I have to be somewhat conservative in my comments because I don't have personal experience with 4K. My current system limits me to 1089p. Upgrading everything to 4K, which would have to include a new projector, would cost more than I'm willing to spend right now.)
MIkeDuke likes this.

Selden

post #1483 of 1496 Old 10-12-2016, 02:01 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Well that's good to know Selden. So when I add a 4k player, I just have to enable HDR on the HDMI inputs (in the Marantz and maybe the Samsung?). At least that's what I am guessing. I will study this more once I get a player. But thanks. That makes this a bit easier. I figured a new cable would be needed though.

My System
post #1484 of 1496 Old 10-12-2016, 02:40 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Well that's good to know Selden. So when I add a 4k player, I just have to enable HDR on the HDMI inputs (in the Marantz and maybe the Samsung?). At least that's what I am guessing. I will study this more once I get a player. But thanks. That makes this a bit easier. I figured a new cable would be needed though.
Some TVs do have special settings which enable HDR decoding. Sorry I dunno which. Some of the players have too many 4K-related settings which confuse the issue. Since I decided to stick with 1080p for now, I stopped reading the player-specific threads. The OPPO should have its own different quirks, anyhow. The receiver, on the other hand, shouldn't have to do anything special. Since it already implements HDMI V2.0a, it should just pass HDR and WCG through. I do have vague recollections of people reporting problems when their D+M receiver's IP scaler and/or Video Conversion was enabled, but I don't recall all the details, sorry. I seem to recall that some D+M models are unable to overlay their on-screen information onto full-bandwidth 4K video signals, so pressing the Info button would result in the GUI being shown on a black background instead of being shown over moving images.

Selden

post #1485 of 1496 Old 10-12-2016, 04:24 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

We shall see. Hopefully I won't have any issues. But it won't be for a few months anyway because I do think the OPPO is the best option out there. I think my TV does have settings for individual HDMI inputs. But I am running everything through the Marantz I think. I am not sure if anything is connected to the TV directly. But I will figure that out in time. I mean, I want to make sure that I am watching 4k content with HDR. I just have to figure out how to do that. Since I am not smart in that regard .

My System
post #1486 of 1496 Old 10-22-2016, 09:00 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

So I got my report for the calibration. The person who did it used a Sencore OTC1000 meter. I have charts that I can post in a few days but I do have some basic numbers right now
These are post calibration numbers. Black level is 0.028 cd/m2, white level is 106.9 cd/m2 and contrast is 3720:1. I can put some charts up in a few days. But I will say again, I don't know how muck blacker I need it or how much whiter I need it. They may not be the "best" measurements compared to TV's this year, but the picture looks stunning. Stay tuned...

My System
post #1487 of 1496 Old 10-24-2016, 05:30 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

First one is Color error
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ColorError.jpg
Views:	445
Size:	84.5 KB
ID:	1731657  

My System
post #1488 of 1496 Old 10-24-2016, 05:40 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Second is Color Gamut
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	ColorGamut.jpg
Views:	436
Size:	96.5 KB
ID:	1731705  

My System

Last edited by MIkeDuke; 10-24-2016 at 05:58 AM.
post #1489 of 1496 Old 10-24-2016, 05:46 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Next is Color Temp
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	ColorTemp (002).jpg
Views:	440
Size:	91.5 KB
ID:	1731697  

My System

Last edited by MIkeDuke; 10-24-2016 at 05:57 AM.
post #1490 of 1496 Old 10-24-2016, 06:04 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Here is Gama Tracking
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	GammaTracking.jpg
Views:	426
Size:	92.2 KB
ID:	1731713  

My System
post #1491 of 1496 Old 10-24-2016, 06:13 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Next is Lumance
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	LuminanceTracking.jpg
Views:	429
Size:	98.0 KB
ID:	1731721  

My System
post #1492 of 1496 Old 10-24-2016, 06:17 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Next is precal settings
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	PreCalSettings.jpg
Views:	685
Size:	86.9 KB
ID:	1731729  

My System
post #1493 of 1496 Old 10-24-2016, 06:21 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Next is post cal settings
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	PostCalSettings.jpg
Views:	694
Size:	87.6 KB
ID:	1731737  

My System
post #1494 of 1496 Old 10-24-2016, 06:25 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Next is RGBTracking
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	RGBTracking.jpg
Views:	678
Size:	93.5 KB
ID:	1731745  

My System
post #1495 of 1496 Old 10-24-2016, 06:27 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

And finally is white balance

So that's it. That's all the charts I have. If anybody knows video and wants to comment,
feel free.
Thanks for looking
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	WhiteBalance.jpg
Views:	676
Size:	97.5 KB
ID:	1731753  

My System
post #1496 of 1496 Old 11-13-2016, 06:33 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

anybody with video experience have thoughts on my numbers? for ex, is that a good contrast ratio? Are the black and white levels good? do the other charts look good. i will try and post this stuff in the designated tv thread but i was just wondering if anybody could share some thoughts. maybe more to come tomorrow.

My System
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply What's Your System Configuration

Tags
Velodyne Sms 1 In Room Bass Correction Kit With Included Microphone , Oppo Bdp 83 Blu Ray Player , Monster Signature Series Home Theater Reference Htps 7000 Mkii Powersource With Dual Balanced Pure P , Playstation 3 160gb System , Panasonic Viera Tc P42g25 42 Inch 1080p Plasma Hdtv , Onkyo Integra Dtr80 3
Gear in this thread