Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1502 of 1521 Old 04-01-2017, 01:58 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 503 Post(s)
Liked: 195
I just have a quick question that is "confusing" to me. When I play a movie, one with a lot of bass, I can sense my sub filling the room and my Crowson, which is tied into the LFE channel really lets me know it's working. For ex, I watched TRON and Interstellar recently. The room was full of bass and my chair was going nuts. But here is the perplexing part. If I go into the menu of my Marantz, and play the test tones, when I get to the sub I don't hear or feel anything. I have it at -2db. Even if I put all the way up. I can hardly hear it. But again, in movies, It can get very loud and I feel a lot. How is that possible. I am not complaining because my current setup really sounds good. I just find it very strange. Any ideas? Or should I let sleeping dogs lie.
Thanks.

It ain't easy being green.
My System
post #1503 of 1521 Old 04-03-2017, 08:11 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 3303 Post(s)
Liked: 1615
Quote:
Originally Posted by MIkeDuke View Post
I just have a quick question that is "confusing" to me. When I play a movie, one with a lot of bass, I can sense my sub filling the room and my Crowson, which is tied into the LFE channel really lets me know it's working. For ex, I watched TRON and Interstellar recently. The room was full of bass and my chair was going nuts. But here is the perplexing part. If I go into the menu of my Marantz, and play the test tones, when I get to the sub I don't hear or feel anything. I have it at -2db. Even if I put all the way up. I can hardly hear it. But again, in movies, It can get very loud and I feel a lot. How is that possible. I am not complaining because my current setup really sounds good. I just find it very strange. Any ideas? Or should I let sleeping dogs lie.
Thanks.
The sound levels generated by the test tones also are controlled by the master volume control knob. It needs to be set to 0 (or 80, depending on the volume scale that you're using) in order for the test tones to output the reference sound level.
MIkeDuke likes this.

Selden

Marantz SR7009 avr + MM9000 amp --> Atmos 7.1.4
Fronts=NHT 2.9+AC2, FH+TM=DefTech PM1000, LCR+TM amped

post #1504 of 1521 Old 04-03-2017, 10:48 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Selden Ball View Post
The sound levels generated by the test tones also are controlled by the master volume control knob. It needs to be set to 0 (or 80, depending on the volume scale that you're using) in order for the test tones to output the reference sound level.
I did not know that. Reference for me is 0 so that's where I would to set it. So set it to 0 then do the test tones. Thanks for the info.

My System
post #1505 of 1521 Old 04-30-2017, 01:29 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Again, I know that I pretty much alone in here , but that's OK. I do have a question that maybe someone can answer. If I need to go to the Marantz thread I will but I thought I would start here. I have the 7702mkII. It has to do with Atmos and DTS:X. When I watch a DTS:X movie, and I click on the the button on the remote that shows you what format is playing, it says DTS:X on one side and the on the other it shows the 5 speakers that I have playing. If I play an Atmos disk that does not happen. It only shows the 7 speakers that could play and 5 that are. Plus, above that it only says TRU-HD That's if I press the button on the remote.What I did not know is that if you flip down the front of the Marantz it also shows what audio is being played. I have noticed that for all of my Atmos disks, it only says TRU-HD and shows the 7 speakers that could be playing and the 5 that are. It does not say Atmos. I saw a picture of the front of the Marantz and that front part was folded down. It said Dolby Atmos. So I put it in the 4k Star Trek disk I have and selected Dolby Atmos in the menu. When the movie started, that screen on the front of the Maranyz said TRU-HD, not Dolby Atmos. So is that because I only have 5 speakers? I mean, I have it setup for Bit Stream and if I see DTS:X, I am assuming that it is setup right. It sounds great and I know it would just be down converted to TRU-HD anyway. I am just won wondering why I am not getting an Atmos signal when I do get a DTS:X signal. If this seems like verbal spaghetti and no one can answer, that's OK. I just wanted to try and post, to the best of my abilities, what I am experiencing.

My System

Last edited by MIkeDuke; 04-30-2017 at 01:50 PM.
post #1506 of 1521 Old 05-01-2017, 08:45 AM

The way the Atmos and DTS:X decoding is displayed is mostly a quirk of how the decoders are implemented.

If I'm understanding you correctly, you have only a 5.1 speaker configuration and you don't have overhead speakers. As a result, the pre/pro does not enable Atmos decoding. Logically it could, but there's really no point. It only shows the Atmos label when the Atmos decoder is in use. In contrast, the DTS:X label is shown when a DTS:X soundtrack is detected, whether or not the DTS:X decoder is actually active.

An Atmos soundtrack is provided as as a "traditional" 7.1 Dolby TrueHD soundtrack (which is what you're seeing: 5.1 + rear surrounds) plus metadata which describes where the Atmos "audio objects" are located in xyz coodinates. All of the sounds which would be redirected to other speakers (like front wides and overheads) are present in the 7.1 soundtrack. When Atmos decoding is enabled, the decoder deletes appropriate sounds from the 7.1 soundtrack and calculates which speakers those sounds should go to.

DTS:X really doesn't work that way. Despite all their marketing, the vast majority of the soundtracks that are being shipped are only in a fixed channel soundtrack format with no objects, so DTS:X decoding can be enabled for them no matter what speaker configuration you have. The person mixing the soundtrack works with audio objects in xyz coordinates, but the final soundtrack created for home audio systems merges them together into audio channels intended for specific speakers. (Unlike D&M devices, Yamaha equipment actually shows how many speaker channels and objects are included in DTS:X soundtracks. People have found that only a few of their demo soundtracks include any objects at all.)

Selden

post #1507 of 1521 Old 05-01-2017, 02:00 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

OK Selden, that clears things up a bit. So if I had height speakers, like a 5.1.4 setup, your saying that the preamp would know that and I would see the word Atmos displayed. But because I don't, have that, I am only seeing the TRU-HD 7.1 setup listed even when I play an Atmos Track. I am only seeing the "bed" layout. And if I had a true 7.1 setup with front height's I would also see that same layout. But when you switch to an true atmos setup, those get re-routed and I would see the word Atmos. Do I understand it correctly?

But DTS decided to have it different and show that it's a DTS:X track, even if I only have a 5.1 setup. At this point it's all kind of moot because I don't see myself getting Atmos in the near future. I was just wanted to make sure things were setup right because I saw the DTS:X name on my screen but I never saw the Atmos name on my screen. Once again, thanks for breaking things down so I could understand them .

My System
post #1508 of 1521 Old 05-02-2017, 11:12 AM

Quote:
OK Selden, that clears things up a bit. So if I had height speakers, like a 5.1.4 setup, your saying that the preamp would know that and I would see the word Atmos displayed. But because I don't, have that, I am only seeing the TRU-HD 7.1 setup listed even when I play an Atmos Track. I am only seeing the "bed" layout. And if I had a true 7.1 setup with front height's I would also see that same layout.
Front Heights are overhead speakers and are part of an Atmos (or DTS:X or Auro3D) configuration. (often shown as 5.1.2) They are not part of the traditional 7.1 configuration. The latter is a 5.1 speaker configuration plus a pair of Rear Surround speakers. If you add Front Heights, Atmos decoding will be enabled. If you add Rear Surrounds, it won't.

Quote:
But when you switch to an true atmos setup, those get re-routed and I would see the word Atmos. Do I understand it correctly?
Front Heights are part of a true Atmos setup. See above.

Quote:
But DTS decided to have it different and show that it's a DTS:X track, even if I only have a 5.1 setup. At this point it's all kind of moot because I don't see myself getting Atmos in the near future. I was just wanted to make sure things were setup right because I saw the DTS:X name on my screen but I never saw the Atmos name on my screen. Once again, thanks for breaking things down so I could understand them .
Yup, you're fine.

Overhead speakers, including the kind which point upward and bounce sounds off the ceiling, do make a significant improvement in the sound, so you should seriously consider adding them if you can.

Selden

post #1509 of 1521 Old 05-02-2017, 01:54 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

So,
I know it's like the first day of school and I am sure I can find diagrams, but let me see if I understand.
Let's start with the basic setup.

a) 5.1 setup: We all know what that is
b) Then we have the 7.1 setup. That's a 5.1 setup with front heights.
c) Then we can have a 9.1 setup, like Craig has that has the front heights and wides, I think.
d) Then we start with the Atmos setups.

So the minimum Atmos would be 5.1.2. That would equal a 5 channel system with 2 speakers above. But there is also 5.1.4. That is a 5 channel system with 4 speakers above. Are you saying you can't have a 7.1.2 setup or 7.1.4 setup as well? I mean you can obviously have more if you add an external DSP. Matt (Brolic Beast) I think has 17 speakers (including Atmos), not counting subs. Atmos has to be more than just 5.1.4 right? The "affordable" preamps may be limited to just that but I have seen Atmos and Auro3D systems greater
than that.

My preamp has enough for 11 speakers but I think only 9 can be played at once. Could that equal a 7.1 system, with front heights, or wides and 4 Atmos speakers? This is all theory for me right now but it's good to learn what is possible. Man I wish I had a bigger room . Even the up firing speakers would be a pain because I would need to power them and I really don't have a spot for another amp. The only way to do it would be to get new amps and I don't see that happening. But thanks for the explanation. It will come in handy at some point

My System

Last edited by MIkeDuke; 05-02-2017 at 04:18 PM.
post #1510 of 1521 Old 05-03-2017, 10:57 AM

Quote:
So,
I know it's like the first day of school and I am sure I can find diagrams, but let me see if I understand.
Let's start with the basic setup.

a) 5.1 setup: We all know what that is
b) Then we have the 7.1 setup. That's a 5.1 setup with front heights.
Sorry, but no, not if you mean the 7.1 speaker configuration used by movie soundtracks.

The two channels added when going from a 5.1 channel soundtrack to a 7.1 channel soundtrack on Blu-ray are called Rear Surrounds. When you add those two speakers to a 5.1 speaker configuration, the Surround speakers are moved somewhat forward (and as a result often are called Side Surrounds) and two Rear Surround speakers are added behind you. (See the attached image.)

Before the advent of Atmos, all uses of Front and Rear Height speakers were artificial. The sounds going to them were generated by various "upmixers" in the receivers (or pre/pros). They were not designed into the movie soundtracks.. Sounds located in Rear Surround channels, however, were provided in the 7.1 channel soundtracks on the discs. (DTS and Dolby encodings also provided 6.1 soundtracks on a small number of DVDs, with the 6th channel corresponding to a center Rear Surround speaker.) With the advent of Atmos, Front and Rear Heights are formally supported as overhead speakers.

Quote:
c) Then we can have a 9.1 setup, like Craig has that has the front heights and wides, I think.
Some people use 7.1 or 9.1 simply to indicate that they have 7 or 9 speakers. Unfortunately, if they don't say which speakers they actually have, there's no way to know for sure.

Quote:
d) Then we start with the Atmos setups.

So the minimum Atmos would be 5.1.2.
Actually, the minimum for Atmos is 2.0.2.
Quote:
That would equal a 5 channel system with 2 speakers above. But there is also 5.1.4. That is a 5 channel system with 4 speakers above. Are you saying you can't have a 7.1.2 setup or 7.1.4 setup as well?
Yes, you can have 7.1.2 or 7.1.4 if your equipment supports it. For example, I have a 7.1.4 speaker system: 7 speakers are at ear level and 4 are overhead (see my sig below).

My 7 ear-level speakers are in the "traditional" layout (Front LCR + Side Surrounds + Rear Surrounds). Some people have Front Wides instead of Rear Surrounds.

Annoyingly, support for Front Wide speakers was eliminated in all of the major 2016 equipment models. (i.e. support was dropped by Denon, Marantz, Onkyo, Integra and Pioneer. Yamaha has never supported them. I don't think Sony has, either.)

Quote:
I mean you can obviously have more if you add an external DSP. Matt (Brolic Beast) I think has 17 speakers (including Atmos), not counting subs. Atmos has to be more than just 5.1.4 right?
The Atmos standard supports from 2.0.2 to as many as 24.1.10 (The .1. is a quirk of Dolby's definition of that digit: only 1 LFE track is provided on a disc. You can connect as many subs as you want.)

In contrast, DTS requires at least 5 speakers at ear level.
Quote:

The "affordable" preamps may be limited to just that but I have seen Atmos and Auro3D systems greater
than that.
The Atmos specifications allow for up to 24 speakers at ear level and 10 speakers overhead for a total of 34 active channels.

Affordable equipment models are limited to a maximum of 11 active channels, of which a maximum of 4 can be overhead. Companies like Trinnov sell pre/pros which currently are limited to a maximum of 32 active channels, although I believe that they're coming out with a 48 channel version later this year. They start at about $15K for 8 channels, I think.

Quote:

My preamp has enough for 11 speakers but I think only 9 can be played at once.
You're misremembering: like my SR7009, your AV7702MkII can calibrate up to 13 channels of which 11 can be simultaneously active.
Quote:

Could that equal a 7.1 system, with front heights, or wides and 4 Atmos speakers?
Not exactly, sorry: Front Heights are included as one of the two pairs of overhead speakers supported by D&M equipment.

Front Wides, however, are ear-level, so they are in addition to the 4 overheads.

Quote:
This is all theory for me right now but it's good to learn what is possible. Man I wish I had a bigger room . Even the up firing speakers would be a pain because I would need to power them and I really don't have a spot for another amp. The only way to do it would be to get new amps and I don't see that happening. But thanks for the explanation. It will come in handy at some point
Having overheads can make a big difference in the sound. If you can't squeeze in the necessary amps, though, that's obviously a limitation.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	509tweak.dolby7.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	38.3 KB
ID:	2115593  

Selden

post #1511 of 1521 Old 05-03-2017, 02:10 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Thanks for the clarification, even if some of it is confusing to me. But again, I really don't have the space for front wides. The most I could do would probably be a 5.1.4 setup. But, one pair of the atmos speakers have to directly over my seating position, then I would have to move some ceiling treatments I have. If not, then I could put them a bit outside my seating position and put the other two up front. Or only put two in the front of the room and none directly overhead. See, with all these constraints, I wonder if it's worth what I would have to do. I want to, but it just may not be feasible. I can't even do a 7.1 system like you have pictured. I can't get the angles right. Oh well, it looks like I am stuck with 5.1. 5.1.4 would be the best I could do if the opportunity ever presented itself.
Thanks again.

My System
post #1512 of 1521 Old 05-04-2017, 06:45 AM

Getting speakers in exactly the right positions really isn't necessary. Dolby makes the point that Atmos is quite forgiving.

As I mentioned previously, you might want to consider what are called "Atmos-enabled Dolby speakers". They're designed to sit on top of existing ear-level speakers and point upward so that their sounds are actually reflections coming off the ceiling. They include some psychoacoustic filters to help augment the overhead experience. Don't waste your money on the ones made by Onkyo and DefTech, though.

Selden

post #1513 of 1521 Old 05-04-2017, 07:13 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

That's good to know that they don't have to be exactly is a specific spot. That would make placing the two in the back of the room easier.

It sounds like your setup is all "ear level" (besides the atmos speakers of course). Mine is not. My room necessitated me putting my surrounds in a less than ideal space up high. It still sounds great and surround material is easily heard but it literally impossible for me to place speakers on top of them. I would only be able able to place them on my front two speakers. And have no space for front wide speakers either.

You have front wides right? I guess it makes some kind of sense that the front heights are now part of the Atmos speaker part of a system. But I don't like that you cant have more than one pair of surrounds. I think it would cool and enhance the surround experience if you were able to have 4 speakers in the rear. But again, I guess the manufactures figured Atmos would take care of that as well.

I don't know if I will do anything though. Getting a new amp and trying to find a place for it is the most pressing issue. Until I move into a bigger room, I may just stick with my 5.1 setup. But hey, I can dream can't I .
Thanks for you explanation of things again Selden. It has been most helpful.

My System
post #1514 of 1521 Old 05-04-2017, 10:57 AM

Quote:
That's good to know that they don't have to be exactly is a specific spot. That would make placing the two in the back of the room easier.

It sounds like your setup is all "ear level" (besides the atmos speakers of course). Mine is not. My room necessitated me putting my surrounds in a less than ideal space up high. It still sounds great and surround material is easily heard but it literally impossible for me to place speakers on top of them. I would only be able able to place them on my front two speakers. And have no space for front wide speakers either.

You have front wides right? I guess it makes some kind of sense that the front heights are now part of the Atmos speaker part of a system. But I don't like that you cant have more than one pair of surrounds. I think it would cool and enhance the surround experience if you were able to have 4 speakers in the rear. But again, I guess the manufactures figured Atmos would take care of that as well.
Actually, I have Side Surrounds plus Rear Surrounds. If you put the Side Surrounds somewhat to the rear of directly to the side, I suppose you could consider them to be two sets of rear speakers.

Note that if you're willing to spend $20K or more for a Trinnov Altitude32 pre/pro, you can have quite a few speakers in the rear (10?)

Quote:

I don't know if I will do anything though. Getting a new amp and trying to find a place for it is the most pressing issue. Until I move into a bigger room, I may just stick with my 5.1 setup. But hey, I can dream can't I .
Thanks for you explanation of things again Selden. It has been most helpful.
Dreaming is part of the experience....

You're very welcome.

Selden

post #1515 of 1521 Old 05-04-2017, 01:52 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

This is "my" dream setup.
I would start with a basic 5.1 setup. Then I would add front wides. Then I would put a pair of side speakers along the wall. I don't think I would need front heights because I would also be adding 4 atmos speakers. I also don't know if I would need another set of surrounds. That would be the wild card. Plus Sub(s) of course. By my count that's a 9.1.4 system or 13 speakers plus the subs. If there was someway to do that, and have all speakers active, that would great for me. Even if I would need an external DSP for the other speakers. I think that's how Matt is doing his massive system. This is basically Craig's system with Atmos speakers. I am not sure how many more speakers you need. I think that would be great. Although like Matt's system, and this one Auro system I saw on line, I know you can go much higher with the speaker count. That's my dream system. I know it would not be cheap, but if I had the chance, I would find a way. Again, this is a dream that will probably never happen. So I have to be satisfied with my 5.1 setup.

My System
post #1516 of 1521 Old 06-10-2017, 03:03 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

What could cause a TV to keep settings in TV\cable mode but be COMPLETLLY off in my server mode. It actually changed the numbers when I am in Server mode and when I look at what Back light is now 20 and contrast is now 100. That was not the post cal numbers. But I did not change any thing. The Cable TV mode seems to have the right calibrated settings.I can give more info on all my settings later, But this has only happened recently. There was also ONE time when I switched from the server to the TV and the cable\TV picture was all messed up. It was a combo of being snow and something else I can't remember happing at the same time. I understand no one can really help me but I don't know if it's the video board in my server or the video board in my TV, even though t seems to be holding up, that one static incident has me puzzled. So I don't know if it's the video card in the sever, the video card in the Marantz or the video card in the TV.
. You should see what AVS looks like since I am typing this through my server.

My System
post #1517 of 1521 Old 06-12-2017, 09:54 AM

Have you been watching any 4K movies using a 4k (UHD) player?

Apparently they can force a 4K TV into a "torch" mode in order to provide HDR (High Dynamic Range) colors.

edited to add:

Your computer might be doing something similar.

You might try swapping the cables between the cable box and the computer
(so the computer is using the cable box's HDMI input on the pre/pro and
the cable box is using what was the computer's HDMI input on the pre/pro)
to see if that changes anything.

Selden

Last edited by Selden Ball; 06-12-2017 at 10:06 AM.
post #1518 of 1521 Old 06-12-2017, 12:53 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Selden Ball View Post
Have you been watching any 4K movies using a 4k (UHD) player?

Apparently they can force a 4K TV into a "torch" mode in order to provide HDR (High Dynamic Range) colors.

edited to add:

Your computer might be doing something similar.

You might try swapping the cables between the cable box and the computer
(so the computer is using the cable box's HDMI input on the pre/pro and
the cable box is using what was the computer's HDMI input on the pre/pro)
to see if that changes anything.
Yes. I have been watching 4k movies with my oppo and they always seem fine. I need to double check when I can. I can
pull up the TV settings and see that it still looks normal. Again, It never did this before. Server movies always looked great.
There was something that was happening that had me leaning towards the TV being issue(but I can't fully remember.) It could have been that it was "all of a sudden"
looking like this and not saving the settings in the in ""Movie Mode" which is where the calibration was done. I thought maybe an HDMI
input went bad on the TV which was connected to the server. I really can't get back there to change cables so I am going to have to just
do the best I can at documenting the issues that I see. But besides that,at least with the server (I think it's just the server) the picture looks very dark
and washed out. If I see anything else or think of a better way of explaining I will.
Thanks

My System
post #1519 of 1521 Old 06-16-2017, 08:42 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

OK. I think the issue is solved. Somehow it had to do with HDMIUHD settings in my TV. I thought I read that for 4k disks that should be set to on. I also read that if you set it to on, on a device that does not use it, it would be ignored. But for me, that was wrong. When I turned them all off except for the OPPO everything worked. The settings were right where they should have been. It stuck with the calibrated settings for the server and TV. Tomorrow I need go watch a 4k and see how that looks with that UHD setting to on. That's where it should be set right? If I do that then I should get bolder HDR colors. I don't even know if I am getting HDR with 4k, but my server stuff looks great again. I am hoping for the best with 4k movies through the OPPO. Everyone raves about HDR. I hope I am setup for it correctly. If anybody has thoughts on this post, please let me know.

My System

Last edited by MIkeDuke; 06-21-2017 at 07:30 AM.
post #1520 of 1521 Old 06-19-2017, 10:10 AM

I'm glad you got that figured out!

Selden

post #1521 of 1521 Old Today, 11:47 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Yep. I think I am good. I watched The Magnificent 7 (Denzel version) and it looked great. The landscape look simply awesome. The detail was there for sure in every shot. The close ups of the actors look really good as well. BTW, I turned off that UHD even for the OPPO. John Wick 2 and the 7 looked good enough for me so I am going to leave it well enough alone. If I were to turn on that UHD setting for my OPPO I would probably need another calibration just for that input. It's not worth the trouble. I am going to leave it as is. Can't wait to watch some that I have not watched and get some new ones like Life and Blade Runner. Plus a few others that will be coming out in time.

My System
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply What's Your System Configuration

Tags
Velodyne Sms 1 In Room Bass Correction Kit With Included Microphone , Oppo Bdp 83 Blu Ray Player , Monster Signature Series Home Theater Reference Htps 7000 Mkii Powersource With Dual Balanced Pure P , Playstation 3 160gb System , Panasonic Viera Tc P42g25 42 Inch 1080p Plasma Hdtv , Onkyo Integra Dtr80 3
Gear in this thread