Forum Jump: 

Old 08-26-2011, 06:19 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 245 Post(s)
Liked: 342
Some quick updates:

I was hearing noise in the left-rear channel of my Emotiva XPA-5, so I sent it in for repair. Emotiva could find nothing wrong with it, and sent it back to me. Now, That leaves the Processor. Now, of course--in my troubleshooting before sending the amp in, I briefly replaced power cables and interconnects to rule those out, and I did a number of things to rule out my processor (move Left Surround XLR cable to right surround input for testing purposes, and the noise still came from the left surround channel.) So, does this mean Integra and Emotiva simply are not synergistic? I don't know. I am going to send my Integra in for repair (THE HORROR!!!!!) to see if there's something faulty, but I doubt they will find anything.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-26-2011, 06:24 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

In other news, next month I will have acheved my savings goal for my next audio purchase, but I cannot decide on which. The options are:

1) Projector Upgrade to: JVC RS40 (a.k.a. the DLA X-3)

2) Speaker Upgrade to: GoldenEar Technology Triton Twos (4)

This is the hardest decision I've ever had to make in the realm of Home Theater. Crisp 3-D performance v.s. the revolutionary Folden Ribbon Technology found in the TritonTwos.
Old 08-26-2011, 07:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 68
The review the Tritons got in TAS suggests they're very good. Since they have built-in 1200W subs and go down to 16Hz, additional subs aren't needed. Would you use just the 4 speakers, then, with perhaps a center if you want it?
Old 08-27-2011, 03:00 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I went to Gramophone yesterday and demoed the Triton Twos and heres thr verdict:

The mids and highs are absolutely spectacular......open in a way ive never heard before. The low-end did not have as much gravitas as i expected, Thus, i would definitely be keeping keep my dual-sub setup and would set a crossover of perhaps 60Hz. I would need to get the matching center channel as well, as those tweeters are so different...so open, that they must be timbre matched in my listening area, lest the soundstage sound confused.
Old 09-17-2011, 12:59 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by prepress View Post

The review the Tritons got in TAS suggests they're very good. Since they have built-in 1200W subs and go down to 16Hz, additional subs aren't needed. Would you use just the 4 speakers, then, with perhaps a center if you want it?

See, the tricky thing about the TritonTwo speakers is that there is no center that truly matches the power of the towers. The center speaker they currently make are HTIB-grade--thin, although the midrange is wonderful.
Old 09-17-2011, 01:27 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Hey guys,

Just received the Oppo BDP-95 and I am truly impressed! I'm running it from the direct XLR (balanced) outputs into the XLR inputs on the Integra DHC-80.2 and this BDP-95 is wow-ing me. We all know that feeling--when we upgrade gear, and we hope there's an audible difference. I am happy to report that there is definitely an audible difference in the way music is conveyed--particularly when compared to the BDP-83 and 93. As an owner of all three, I can most certainly say that this is by far the best. One of the best test-tracks around is "Let it Rain" by Anthony Evans--and this player blew it out of the park with clarity and bass-definition. . Needless to say, this player is worth every single penny. Some pics below--click my youtube link for a video on it:

FROM THE FRONT

BACK PANEL

CLOSE UP

ANGLE

FACING THE CAM

INPUT NAMED AFTER THE OPPO BDP-95'S DACs
Old 09-17-2011, 05:09 AM
AVS Special Member

I like the first photo best. It looks more threatening. Probably something to do with the angle.

Which brand of HDMI cable are you using on it? And is there a difference in sound with those caps on the unused terminals versus not?
Old 09-17-2011, 02:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Brolic,

Congrats! It's really nice when you hear an actual improvement over the older components. Have you made a decision on the speakers yet?
Old 09-17-2011, 09:24 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I like the first photo best. It looks more threatening. Probably something to do with the angle.

Which brand of HDMI cable are you using on it? And is there a difference in sound with those caps on the unused terminals versus not?

Greetings prepress! My HDMI cables are from monoprice (funny when the power and interconnects are from well regarded manufacturers.) But with the digital signal of HDMI, I can't see how one HDMI cable can sound different from another. Any thoughts on this?

I did not hear a difference with the caps off of the unused inputs. (I only took the caps off the dedicated RCA stereo outputs to test). I'm leaving them inn primarily so dust doesn't collect in them!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddgtr View Post

Brolic,

Congrats! It's really nice when you hear an actual improvement over the older components. Have you made a decision on the speakers yet?

It is indeed a sweet experience hearing the upgrades! Mannnnnn......this speaker decision is driving me crazy.....primarily because I've been demoing a number of speakers and none have TRULY amazed me to the point where I said "I can't get that performance from my current setup. Subtle improvements were abound, but I'm looking for game-changing speakers. The speaker that comes closest to being a game-changer is the Goldenear TritonTwo.....BUT....with the wrap-around cloth design, my cats would destroy those speakers in seconds. They are quite scratch-happy! Ah the search continues.
Old 09-17-2011, 11:30 PM

Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrolicBeast View Post

Mannnnnn......this speaker decision is driving me crazy.....primarily because I've been demoing a number of speakers and none have TRULY amazed me to the point where I said "I can't get that performance from my current setup. Subtle improvements were abound, but I'm looking for game-changing speakers. The speaker that comes closest to being a game-changer is the Goldenear TritonTwo.....BUT....with the wrap-around cloth design, my cats would destroy those speakers in seconds. They are quite scratch-happy! Ah the search continues.

What are you doing now to keep the cats away from the speakers and the sub?? I've seen the TritonTwo and they are very handsome speakers. Its a shame that you would pass on them because of the cats. Have you checked out the Kef Q900's? I heard them recently and liked their sound.
Old 09-18-2011, 05:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Greetings prepress! My HDMI cables are from monoprice (funny when the power and interconnects are from well regarded manufacturers.) But with the digital signal of HDMI, I can't see how one HDMI cable can sound different from another. Any thoughts on this?

I did not hear a difference with the caps off of the unused inputs. (I only took the caps off the dedicated RCA stereo outputs to test). I'm leaving them inn primarily so dust doesn't collect in them!

I'm of the opinion that if the HDMI cable is well-constructed (not always the case), then it should do the job. Silver is a better conductor than copper (and more expensive), so there's the idea that you'll get better signal transfer with it. I may, in fact, try this as I'm curious about the Pangea cables and they aren't too expensive.

And while I don't like stiff cables, I'm considering a 24AWG HDMI to run between my VP and my TV. I guess there are pros and cons on heavier gauges making a difference when it comes to HDMI, but if it works with speaker cable and (maybe) interconnects, why not?

As for the caps, where'd you get them and how much were they?
Old 09-18-2011, 02:49 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 10
Gratz Brolic! Glad to see you were able to upgrade and notice an improvement, that is always an experience that puts a big smile on your face
Nice photos too!
Old 09-18-2011, 04:02 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ejusted View Post

What are you doing now to keep the cats away from the speakers and the sub?? I've seen the TritonTwo and they are very handsome speakers. Its a shame that you would pass on them because of the cats. Have you checked out the Kef Q900's? I heard them recently and liked their sound.

The cats don't scratch the front grilles (miraculously) but they used to attempt to climb the sides of the speakers frequently. Thankfully, they have learned that they cannot sink claws into MDF. The sub has a perforated metal grill, so no issues with grill destruction there. I haven't hear the Q900's yet...primarily because my next speaker pair also needs to be aesthetically pleasing I don't like the look of the Q900's much.

Quote:

I'm of the opinion that if the HDMI cable is well-constructed (not always the case), then it should do the job. Silver is a better conductor than copper (and more expensive), so there's the idea that you'll get better signal transfer with it. I may, in fact, try this as I'm curious about the Pangea cables and they aren't too expensive.

And while I don't like stiff cables, I'm considering a 24AWG HDMI to run between my VP and my TV. I guess there are pros and cons on heavier gauges making a difference when it comes to HDMI, but if it works with speaker cable and (maybe) interconnects, why not?

As for the caps, where'd you get them and how much were they?

I actually picked up two Audioquest Cinnamon HDMI cables today. I'm going to do A/B comparisons to see if the silver makes an audible difference. They got a pretty good review on WhatHiFi.com. The caps came with the Oppo BDP-95 and were already covering the ports when I opened it up. A very nice touch!

Quote:
Originally Posted by hikarate View Post

Gratz Brolic! Glad to see you were able to upgrade and notice an improvement, that is always an experience that puts a big smile on your face
Nice photos too!

lol yup....I've been grinning all weekend! lol. It's a great purchase--one that I'll have for years. Even when its HDMI functionality is outdated, it's analog performance alone is worth its price-point!
Old 09-19-2011, 02:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 99 Post(s)
Liked: 80
I recently listened to the Triton2's myself and was very impressed with them. The thing I am worried about is the lack of the center.. It just seems that they would have constructed a better center to go with the power of the Triton2's.....

My current speaker setup contains a FULL range center(Axiom VP180) so I need to get over that before I can commit. I am hoping to hear a demo of these in my home over the next few weeks, which will help me make the decision...
Old 09-21-2011, 11:10 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Coach, I completely agree with the Triton system. There's no powerful center. you have these two Ferrari's, and put a Bicyle for a center. There's just no way that meager Sat50 can match the Triton Two's for a cohesive sound experience. And even if it could--lets face it: In this hobby we're in, there's more to our passion than just sound. We don't just want a capable speaker--we want the satisfaction of a center channel that LOOKS the part as well.
Old 09-21-2011, 11:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 99 Post(s)
Liked: 80
Quote:

Coach, I completely agree with the Triton system. There's no powerful center. you have these two Ferrari's, and put a Bicyle for a center. There's just no way that meager Sat50 can match the Triton Two's for a cohesive sound experience. And even if it could--lets face it: In this hobby we're in, there's more to our passion than just sound. We don't just want a capable speaker--we want the satisfaction of a center channel that LOOKS the part as well.

I know what you mean..lol Here is what will happen....I will convince my wife that I need a whole new set of front speakers, sell off my Axioms, purchase the three GoldenEar speakers wer are talking about and then they will come out with a new center channel...lol

Right now, I am going to see if adding a new sub to my system will help it out enough that I won't need to get new speakers.

Been looking at Mirage speakers too along with the GoldenEar and Def Tech. Seems like the Mirage and Def Tech might help "fill" up my unconventional living room setup...
Old 09-24-2011, 12:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I actually picked up two Audioquest Cinnamon HDMI cables today. I'm going to do A/B comparisons to see if the silver makes an audible difference. They got a pretty good review on WhatHiFi.com. The caps came with the Oppo BDP-95 and were already covering the ports when I opened it up. A very nice touch!

I saw those Cinnamons in the Audio Advisor catalog. The Pangeas have more silver plating in them (4% vs. 1.25%), but that alone is not a gauge of overall quality. AQ is known to make good products, so the comparison with what you have on hand should prove interesting.
Old 09-27-2011, 06:09 AM

Old 10-07-2011, 09:07 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 12
hey brolic, i just saw your youtube video on the sonos system, which was awesome and way better then trying to talk to anyone at best buy about it. my question, if i wanted a set up similar to yours with a home theater and then sound in multiple rooms, would it be possible through the sonos with in wall or outdoor speakers? basically i want a theater/media room, and then audio for the backyard, kitchen, bedroom and possible if its easier then i think the bathroom. Obviously your knowledge exceeds mine in every aspect of the home theater and audio world. So im not sure if the sonos would be right for me, my original idea was to get a receiver with multiple zones and just run cables everywhere, not sure really how the sonos could help, thanks for any help and thanks for the AWESOME youtube video!
Old 10-08-2011, 10:45 AM
AVS Special Member

For what it's worth, I ordered a Pangea 26HL HDMI cable, which has 1.5% silver in it. The 24AWG Pangea, with 4%, was unavailable in the length I wanted (2m). Interestingly, the Audio Advisor salesman spoke of how he thinks silver is great for video (cleaner picture), but doesn't like it for audio so much. And I have heard that improperly executed, silver cable could lead to a bright sound. I'd be interested in what you find with your AQ Cinnamon.
Old 10-08-2011, 10:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked: 93
The Oppo 95 looks like a beast!

In terms of playing Blu-ray discs on it, would I notice an improvement in picture/sound quality over the PS3 Slim?
Old 10-09-2011, 01:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by generalpride66 View Post

hey brolic, i just saw your youtube video on the sonos system, which was awesome and way better then trying to talk to anyone at best buy about it. my question, if i wanted a set up similar to yours with a home theater and then sound in multiple rooms, would it be possible through the sonos with in wall or outdoor speakers? basically i want a theater/media room, and then audio for the backyard, kitchen, bedroom and possible if its easier then i think the bathroom. Obviously your knowledge exceeds mine in every aspect of the home theater and audio world. So im not sure if the sonos would be right for me, my original idea was to get a receiver with multiple zones and just run cables everywhere, not sure really how the sonos could help, thanks for any help and thanks for the AWESOME youtube video!

Yes you can use Sonus with in-wall or outdoor speakers, you would simply use a ZP120 as an amplified source at each speaker location, in order to prevent running wires to a central receiver. For the main theater room a ZP90 would provide the Sonos Interface for your theater, and your AVR or amplifier would provide the power.
The Kitchen, Bedroom, and even Backyard and Bathroom can be handled 2 ways #1 buy a Play5 or Play3 for EACH room and leave them in the locations #2 Buy 1 Play5 or Play3 and move it to each location when you are ready to use it there. My recommendation would be the Play5, as it provides considerably better sound for its footprint.
Cost wise, yes Sonos is more costly, but if you can find a receiver that is capable of playing up to 32 different zones of music all at different volume levels, with the possibility to merge all of them at the touch of a button in one FANTASTIC, easy-to-use user interface, and is infinitely expandable as you move and grow, then again, you won't find such a thing...unless you get a Sonos System

Not all of us Best Buy associates are bad
Old 10-09-2011, 07:55 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

For what it's worth, I ordered a Pangea 26HL HDMI cable, which has 1.5% silver in it. The 24AWG Pangea, with 4.5%, was unavailable in the length I wanted (2m). Interestingly, the Audio Advisor salesman spoke of how he thinks silver is great for video (cleaner picture), but doesn't like it for audio so much. And I have heard that improperly executed, silver cable could lead to a bright sound. I'd be interested in what you find with your AQ Cinnamon.

My findings have actually been interesting when comparing the Monoprice HDMI cables to the Audioquest Cinnamon. I think have found a slightly cleaner picture, although it could just be my mind fooling me. In terms of sound quality, I definitely detect a smoother overall sound with vocal recordings, but no difference whatsoever when playing classical pieces. Interesting. BTW, my A/B comparisons were done via HDMI between the 95 and the 93 before completely removing the 93 from the rack.

Quote:
Originally Posted by drewTT View Post

The Oppo 95 looks like a beast!

In terms of playing Blu-ray discs on it, would I notice an improvement in picture/sound quality over the PS3 Slim?

You may notice a difference over the PS3 slim; however, it wouldn't be night and day. I have a PS3 in the same system as the Oppo, and in doing an A/B test, I noticed that I could only notice differences with certain scenes. This is a testament to how good the PS3 is as a Blu-Ray player. Now,if HDMI will be the only input you use, I would suggest saving $500 and getting the BDP-93 instead. The HDMI circuitry is identical to that of the BDP-95, which adds superb analog circuitry/inputs to justify the price premium.
Old 10-09-2011, 07:57 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by generalpride66 View Post

Greetings! BBGeek574 has provided a superb explanatory response to your post!!
Old 10-09-2011, 01:46 PM

Quote:

Greetings! BBGeek574 has provided a superb explanatory response to your post!!

wow he sure did!, well im sold on a sonos
Old 10-09-2011, 01:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBGeek574 View Post

Yes you can use Sonus with in-wall or outdoor speakers, you would simply use a ZP120 as an amplified source at each speaker location, in order to prevent running wires to a central receiver. For the main theater room a ZP90 would provide the Sonos Interface for your theater, and your AVR or amplifier would provide the power.
The Kitchen, Bedroom, and even Backyard and Bathroom can be handled 2 ways #1 buy a Play5 or Play3 for EACH room and leave them in the locations #2 Buy 1 Play5 or Play3 and move it to each location when you are ready to use it there. My recommendation would be the Play5, as it provides considerably better sound for its footprint.
Cost wise, yes Sonos is more costly, but if you can find a receiver that is capable of playing up to 32 different zones of music all at different volume levels, with the possibility to merge all of them at the touch of a button in one FANTASTIC, easy-to-use user interface, and is infinitely expandable as you move and grow, then again, you won't find such a thing...unless you get a Sonos System

Not all of us Best Buy associates are bad

THANK YOU FOR THAT! and i love best buy! i shop there all the time (mainly for the reward zone points) i just hadnt found anyone who knew the sonos that well there yet.
Old 10-09-2011, 11:17 PM

You're welcome, don't want to thread jack, I watched your YouTube video as well and hadn't seen the Ipad app so that was VERY interesting for me to see! Thanks for sharing your HT and passion thereof!!
Old 10-10-2011, 11:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 61
I know sonos info is a little off topic (btw very nice system BrolicBeast) but I think sonos along with mog is the greatest thing since web music. I have a zp90, a zp120, plan to get another 90 and an s5. Having access to millions of songs in any room at any time is a great thing.

Old 10-10-2011, 08:35 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by g_bartman View Post

I know sonos info is a little off topic (btw very nice system BrolicBeast) but I think sonos along with mog is the greatest thing since web music. I have a zp90, a zp120, plan to get another 90 and an s5. Having access to millions of songs in any room at any time is a great thing.

I concur! Sometimes I don't want to sit and enjoy music though critical listening! Sometimes I want to simply relax and enjoy it for what it is...MUSIC!!!.....in every room of the house!! I've said it before, and I'll say it again: the Sonos system is the single best investment I've ever made!!!
Old 10-15-2011, 02:11 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

So....my Integra DHC-80.2 is having problems AGAIN!!! This time, anytime it receives an HDMI signal, it sends a dirty audio signal to any amplifier it's connected to.....the amplifier restarts every ten seconds until the HDMI source is turned off. This is utterly ridiculous!!! I've tried my amplifier, and two other amplifiers, and still it does this.

I took it to Just Audio in Baltimore, MD--they fixed my Denon 4310CI earlier this year, and are the folks who fixed my Integra earlier this year...both under warranty. I will keep my fingers crossed and hope they can fix this problem. I JUST got it back from repair three weeks ago, and now it's back under repair.

I tell you this--I will NEVER purchase an Integra product again. EVER. That being said, the product is amazing when it works (and made Stereophile's Class A Recommended Components List last month :-) But it fails too often.

Tags
Emotiva Xpr 1 , Marantz Av8801 , Jvc Dla Rs66 , Cambridge Audio Azur Dacmagic 100 Silver , Oppo Bdp 105 Blu Ray Player , Panamax M5300 Pm 11 Outlet Clean Power Level 4 Black
Gear in this thread - Av8801 by PriceGrabber.com