post #3151 of 3332 Old 04-09-2014, 07:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 276 Post(s)
Liked: 244
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrolicBeast View Post

Add to that, the concept of balancing preferences and comfort between a husband and wife, and it starts to get very complicated very quickly.

Matt: The secret to marriage success and tranquility: "Happy wife means a happy life". It literally is that simple.

Stretching Scripture a tad (or more), I might modify Ephesians 5:25 to "Husbands love your wives, just as Christ loved the church, and gave himself up for it, AND agree with every furniture and decorating decision she makes so long as it does not affect either the image, sound quality or appearance of the theater"

Even when I'm not having a particularly good day, I am at least having a day!

New Theater 

Build Thread
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3152 of 3332 Old 04-09-2014, 10:40 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked: 98
You know, I'm still pissed off at Adam for the crap he did in the garden. Now look at us men, we no longer have dominion of the earth and the animals. We've lost all power in the home. The man cave should say on a plaque - The room my wife ALLOWS me to have.
post #3153 of 3332 Old 04-09-2014, 10:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevon27 View Post

You know, I'm still pissed off at Adam for the crap he did in the garden. Now look at us men, we no longer have dominion of the earth and the animals. We've lost all power in the home. The man cave should say on a plaque - The room my wife ALLOWS me to have.

Actually, one could argue that Eve committed the first sin. God said "Do not eat of the fruit of the tree". When she was confronted by the Devil, she said "He told us not to eat fruit from that tree or even to touch it. If we do, we will die.” So she told an untruth. That is, she lied.

So this is all HER fault, So there!!!

New Theater 

Build Thread
post #3154 of 3332 Old 04-09-2014, 11:41 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 23
BB :
We are going to take our time with the furniture—no major rush there, but my gosh—it’s so much harder shopping for furniture these days.  Back in the day, you just got the least expensive set.  Now, preferences and comfort are actual considerations. Lol. Add to that, the concept of balancing preferences and comfort between a husband and wife, and it starts to get very complicated very quickly.
[/quote]

Bro so true but u no it will broil down to which one she wants lol , but all off us no when shopping for furniture for a home that the wife gets what they want lol
post #3155 of 3332 Old 04-09-2014, 11:57 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 220 Post(s)
Liked: 328
Quote:
Originally Posted by audioguy View Post

Matt: The secret to marriage success and tranquility: "Happy wife means a happy life". It literally is that simple.

Stretching Scripture a tad (or more), I might modify Ephesians 5:25 to "Husbands love your wives, just as Christ loved the church, and gave himself up for it, AND agree with every furniture and decorating decision she makes so long as it does not affect either the image, sound quality or appearance of the theater"

It’s funny, I actually said “happy wife, happy life’ at my reception when the Mrs. asked for the microphone while I was thanking people. It got the crowd roaring in laughter. I do want her to be happy, and I’d probably agree wit purchasing a crappy piece of furniture if she really was in love with it—particularly since she’s found no practical reason to bar me from taking the whole basement as my own.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevon27 View Post

Oh nah man, biblically, the man is the priest of the home. A powerful parallel. Traditionally, a Jewish priest was a leader of his community in matters of law, as well as religion. This biblical parallel is no accident, as us (men) being charged as the priests of the home mean we are charged by God to lead. Interestingly, it’s not so much that we have no power when it comes to, say, building a mancave. It’s that our wives force us to face practicalities that we’d rather turn a blind eye towards. I guarantee, if there is a practical reason why we shouldn’t build a theater, a woman will find it. And we men, being the logical creatures that we are, have no choice but to acknowledge the truth once verbalized in a manner that we can no longer ignore.

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioguy View Post

Actually, one could argue that Eve committed the first sin. God said "Do not eat of the fruit of the tree". When she was confronted by the Devil, she said "He told us not to eat fruit from that tree or even to touch it. If we do, we will die.” So she told an untruth. That is, she lied.

So this is all HER fault, So there!!!

I have had many debates over this in my Sabbath School classes. My position has always been that the first human sin originated, not with the eating of the fruit, but with Eve’s belief that God was untruthful. Sin is the transgression of the law, and the law is a direct reflection of God’s character. The moment Eve believed the serpent, she sinned, simply by forsaking her complete allegiance to God. This has to be viewed in the context of a world in which sin did not exist. In a world where there was no knowledge of evil, Eve believing the serpent’s claims was literally akin to a child believing her parent is a serial killer because the new kid in class told her so on the first day of school.

I believe, based on context, that God instructed them not to touch it, as Adam walked with God and the instruction for the Tree of Knowledge of Good and Evil was given to Adam before Eve was created. Although I cannot prove as such.

Either way, we agree that sin began before the fruit was actually eaten.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilfredent View Post
Bro so true but u no it will broil down to which one she wants lol , but all off us no when shopping for furniture for a home that the wife gets what they want lol

LOL--man, I'm very blessed.  We've been collaborating very intesnely on our Bedroom furniture search.  We're tackling things room by room, since doing the whole room at once just isn't in the budget.  Maybe if we were doing the whole house, the stress would make things a little more stressful than they are, but the room by room approach lets us make sure we get exactly what we want for every room, as opposed to kinda what we want in all the rooms.  Bless her heart--I think I'm going to let her get whatever she wants for the house after all.  I'd say she's earned it!

post #3156 of 3332 Old 04-09-2014, 12:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I believe, based on context, that God instructed them not to touch it, as Adam walked with God and the instruction for the Tree of Knowledge of Good and Evil was given to Adam before Eve was created. Although I cannot prove as such.

I'm a lot older than you but not THAT OLD --- I was not in the Garden of Eden either (that I recall smile.gif )

New Theater 

Build Thread
post #3157 of 3332 Old 04-10-2014, 10:23 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

For anyone interested, the Best Buy Magnolia in Columbia, MD has a Sony 600 ES on display in use with a Panamorph a-lens on a curved screen. Grab your blu rays and head over there for some fun!
wilfredent likes this.
post #3158 of 3332 Old 04-13-2014, 08:12 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Beast, I know you've said here somewhere, but what was the throw distance of your projector in the living room?

post #3159 of 3332 Old 04-13-2014, 08:26 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Whats up! My throw distance was about 13.5 feet away from my screen, while the viewing distance was about 11.5 feet from the screen.
post #3160 of 3332 Old 04-18-2014, 06:22 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Ladies and gents, the house is ours! :D

This week, I spent my days mapping out furniture types/locations and I spend my nights roaming the floors while my wife sleeps, wondering how God saw fit to bless us with the place!  The big move is on Sunday (yay!)

The theater is, of course, at the forefront of my mind.  We rip down the drywall next week and then, the framing wood gets ordered. Getting ready to switch into high gear and hit the ground running.

audiofan1 likes this.
post #3161 of 3332 Old 04-18-2014, 06:38 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Congrats on the new home!! Let the Home Theater fun begin! smile.gif

JT
post #3162 of 3332 Old 04-18-2014, 08:58 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Quote:

Ladies and gents, the house is ours! biggrin.gif

This week, I spent my days mapping out furniture types/locations and I spend my nights roaming the floors while my wife sleeps, wondering how God saw fit to bless us with the place!  The big move is on Sunday (yay!)

The theater is, of course, at the forefront of my mind.  We rip down the drywall next week and then, the framing wood gets ordered. Getting ready to switch into high gear and hit the ground running.

Congrats Brolic!!! I remember the day my wife and I closed on our new house. There's nothing like finally getting the keys in your hand. Our house was new construction too. I was so afraid to drive a nail into the wall to hang a picture at first, since everything was so pristine!!!!

As mentioned in an older post, I'm slowing working towards the basement theater build. That day will soon come!!!! biggrin.gif

OH, and let your wife pick/choose furniture and decorations. You'll both be happier that way. I just went along as the money source!!!

Best of luck!!!
post #3163 of 3332 Old 04-19-2014, 09:18 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Quote:

I say, stick with the HTPC.. Your system should be bitstreaming directly to your receiver thus bypassing windows audio mixer and all volume controls. This is the way I have my jriver setup so I can only control volume on my receiver. Moving the volume sliders in windows and jriver does nothing.

I am not a JRiver expert but my understanding is that if you are using any of the DSP features then the recommendation is to use internal volume control. Internal volume in these cases give you more headroom and will help prevent clipping.

Again not an expert, but that is my understanding. Here are a couple of links:
http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=78478.0
http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=78478.0
post #3164 of 3332 Old 04-19-2014, 10:25 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi Brolic,

First of all i would like to say congratulation on he new house!!! Ive been watching your video on youtube for a while now and i would like to say good job especially on those unboxing video!!

That being said i would like to know why did you sold your svs pb13 ultra? Im currently on the market for a subwoofer and the svs was on my "read review" list lol. Have you ever heard the JL audio subwoofer?

Anyway let me know your thought on the SVS or any subwoofer that i should have a closer look.

Thanks again,
Jonathan.
post #3165 of 3332 Old 04-19-2014, 11:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 126 Post(s)
Liked: 78
Hey Matt. Really good stuff on the house. It's a great feeling I am sure. I am looking forward to seeing some pics of the house and new theater.

It ain't easy being green.
My System
post #3166 of 3332 Old 04-19-2014, 01:07 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Congrats to you both on the house!!! Its only been a few months since we bought our new home and we are just loving it !!!

Now its time for you to make those theater plans a reality!!!
BrolicBeast likes this.
post #3167 of 3332 Old 04-20-2014, 11:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 66
Quote:

Ladies and gents, the house is ours! biggrin.gif

Exactly.
post #3168 of 3332 Old 04-24-2014, 06:39 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Congratulations. I know the great feeling of walking into a new construction home. Just remember it's family that makes it special. Stuff can always be replaced - but stuff is fun too biggrin.gif. Now get the theater done before the kids start becoming a twinkle in your eyes. smile.gif
post #3169 of 3332 Old 04-28-2014, 04:12 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by flameboy1696 View Post

Hi Brolic,

First of all i would like to say congratulation on he new house!!! Ive been watching your video on youtube for a while now and i would like to say good job especially on those unboxing video!!

That being said i would like to know why did you sold your svs pb13 ultra? Im currently on the market for a subwoofer and the svs was on my "read review" list lol. Have you ever heard the JL audio subwoofer?

Anyway let me know your thought on the SVS or any subwoofer that i should have a closer look.

Thanks again,
Jonathan.

Greetings Jonathan!  Thank you kindly for the congrats and I'm glad you like the videos too.  I sold my SVS PB13 Ultras to make room for two Seaton Submersive F2 HP subwoofers, which are really powerful.  They do cost a bit more than the SVS subwoofers now (back then there was only a few hundred bucks more) but they are strongly worth considering.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MIkeDuke View Post

Hey Matt. Really good stuff on the house. It's a great feeling I am sure. I am looking forward to seeing some pics of the house and new theater.

What's up buddy! It's coming together--the demo was a success yesterday.  Now, the real fun begins.  Framing starts next sunday.  I'm going to have to remove the "Living Room" from the title of this thread soon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wkingincharge View Post

Congrats to you both on the house!!! Its only been a few months since we bought our new home and we are just loving it !!!

Now its time for you to make those theater plans a reality!!!

Many thanks! Ah yes, I recall your new house purchase and the subsequent theater room!  I need to swing by your thread and see what's up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by prepress View Post

Exactly.

Sir, Yes Sir!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scout's staff View Post

Congratulations. I know the great feeling of walking into a new construction home. Just remember it's family that makes it special. Stuff can always be replaced - but stuff is fun too biggrin.gif. Now get the theater done before the kids start becoming a twinkle in your eyes. smile.gif

Thanks man!  It's a very special feeling.  I totally agree--it's the family experience; the sharing of the event with a significant other (and children, if present) that makes such endeavors worthwhile. LOL....mannnnnn, there are nooooo offspring twinkling in anybody's eye.

post #3170 of 3332 Old 04-29-2014, 07:03 AM

Who really owns the Man Cave?? Is the wife allowed in the cave to do what she want unsupervised? Can she take a bunch of her cackling female friends and have a ladies only night of movie watching??
Hmmmm?
post #3171 of 3332 Old 04-29-2014, 07:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

What's up buddy! It's coming together--the demo was a success yesterday.  Now, the real fun begins.  Framing starts next sunday.  I'm going to have to remove the "Living Room" from the title of this thread soon.
Well, I had a drive fail so I am busy copying over my stuff. I am almost done though and it wasn't that bad. But I still am looking for some sort of RAID setup. I never knew it would be this hard to find. Either the stuff I find may not be that reliable, or it's a NAS and not a RAID or some other issues. I mean, all I want is a RAID system that can be connected to my server via USB cable.
Some that I found that I think would work are
http://www.pc-pitstop.com/das/ds-sat05ue.asp
http://www.lacie.com/us/products/product.htm?id=10601
http://www.g-technology.com/products/g-speed-q
http://store.buffalotech.com/store/bufftech/en_US/pd/productID.279008900/quantity.1

But now I don't know. I am not savvy enough to build my own
Plus I don't know the quality of any of those. I want to move away from just having single disks as my storage and backup but it is turning into more of a project then I would have liked mad.gif.
Anyway, enough of my complaining. I am glad your room is coming along and I really can't wait to see the videos. I am looking forward to seeing the Triads and then seeing and hearing your first full system test.

My System
post #3172 of 3332 Old 04-29-2014, 11:57 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MIkeDuke View Post

Well, I had a drive fail so I am busy copying over my stuff. I am almost done though and it wasn't that bad. But I still am looking for some sort of RAID setup. I never knew it would be this hard to find. Either the stuff I find may not be that reliable, or it's a NAS and not a RAID or some other issues. I mean, all I want is a RAID system that can be connected to my server via USB cable.
Some that I found that I think would work are
http://www.pc-pitstop.com/das/ds-sat05ue.asp
http://www.lacie.com/us/products/product.htm?id=10601
http://www.g-technology.com/products/g-speed-q
http://store.buffalotech.com/store/bufftech/en_US/pd/productID.279008900/quantity.1

But now I don't know. I am not savvy enough to build my own
Plus I don't know the quality of any of those. I want to move away from just having single disks as my storage and backup but it is turning into more of a project then I would have liked mad.gif.
Anyway, enough of my complaining. I am glad your room is coming along and I really can't wait to see the videos. I am looking forward to seeing the Triads and then seeing and hearing your first full system test.

Sorry the drive died man!  You know, you can connect a NAS to your Baetis via ethernet cable and it acts just like a USB cable.  i did this a couple of weeks ago when transferring my entire collection.  At first, I tried WiFi (the only option at the time) and that wasn't working, but I just created a LAN with the actual NAS and the cmputer, and transfers occured at blazing speeds.  So don't worry about USB--as long as you have an ethernet port of your Baetis, you can connect to a NAS, even if it isn't connected to an internet-enabled network.

post #3173 of 3332 Old 04-29-2014, 11:58 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Who really owns the Man Cave?? Is the wife allowed in the cave to do what she want unsupervised? Can she take a bunch of her cackling female friends and have a ladies only night of movie watching??
Hmmmm?

The wife is definitely allowed...with permission, but kids (when they come) are not!

post #3174 of 3332 Old 04-29-2014, 12:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Sorry the drive died man!  You know, you can connect a NAS to your Baetis via ethernet cable and it acts just like a USB cable.  i did this a couple of weeks ago when transferring my entire collection.  At first, I tried WiFi (the only option at the time) and that wasn't working, but I just created a LAN with the actual NAS and the cmputer, and transfers occured at blazing speeds.  So don't worry about USB--as long as you have an ethernet port of your Baetis, you can connect to a NAS, even if it isn't connected to an internet-enabled network.
TBH, I think that's a bit more complicated then I want to do. I have never setup a LAN before. Check out my thread and you will see a great conversation I have been having about which I should do.
dharel likes this.

My System
post #3175 of 3332 Old 04-29-2014, 04:45 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Quote:

Many thanks! Ah yes, I recall your new house purchase and the subsequent theater room!  I need to swing by your thread and see what's up!

We have been enjoying it all but the theater room especially just going back re watching some favorites and of course music for me!!!. It was nice to be able too set the room up from scratch although I could not bring myself to tear it down so I just made it work however in the near future there will be a full tear down and build and I will be hitting you up for ideas lol!!!
post #3176 of 3332 Old 05-01-2014, 11:51 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wkingincharge View Post

We have been enjoying it all but the theater room especially just going back re watching some favorites and of course music for me!!!. It was nice to be able too set the room up from scratch although I could not bring myself to tear it down so I just made it work however in the near future there will be a full tear down and build and I will be hitting you up for ideas lol!!!

Dude, make sure you prepare your wife for the tear-down.  I thought I had, but it actually caused an argument after the guys left on Demo day.  Wives have the innate instinct to preserve, be it the house, family, or anything else of value.  I'm realizing i had to prepare her from that angle, instead of just "you'll love it babe," as that was not sufficient!  I'll be HAPPY to share any ideas when your time comes!

post #3177 of 3332 Old 05-01-2014, 11:57 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Sunday was the demolition of the room.  As I stood in the dusty, naked basement and walked around obsessively, I noticed a stump that might be a sewer access line.  So I called a plumber and had them come take a look--lo and behold, it was a sewer access line!  So I'm moving the basement bathroom into the unfinished storage room (that's becoming a guest suite) and pushing the HVAC and Water Heater into the front corner of the room.

Here is what the right side of the room looks like now.  The final result will flip the theater 90 degrees to take advantage of the added length, having the room extend down to where the temporary listening setup is:

post #3178 of 3332 Old 05-01-2014, 01:57 PM

I think they should pass a law to make every new house built from 2014 and beyond must have a dedicated space for a home theater.. I truly believe in a home, a theater is more important than a toilet..
post #3179 of 3332 Old 05-06-2014, 05:11 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I think they should pass a law to make every new house built from 2014 and beyond must have a dedicated space for a home theater.. I truly believe in a home, a theater is more important than a toilet..

That's the thing--when building, anything is possible, but there are sacrifices.  When we designed this house last year, we did our first two floors as a priority, and the choices we made on those floors affected the spacing and wall locations of the basement, which is to be expected as that's where the foundation is.  We went into our neighbor's house yesterday whose house they completed a week before ours, and she has a space in her basement that's perfect for the theater--wide and long--because she wanted her formal living room and dining room connected into one long space upstairs (she's from Bowie, MD where this configuration is popular; my wife and I are from from NY, where the two rooms are separated so that's what we did), BUT--such design choices she made for her first and second levels are not what I'd call attractive, given the layout of the rest of her first floor.

post #3180 of 3332 Old 05-06-2014, 05:24 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Ordered the optical glass for the projector booth :-)  Here's the link I used, courtesy of BigMouthInDC: http://www.edmundoptics.com/optics/windows-diffusers/visible-windows/anti-reflection-ar-coated-high-efficiency-windows/43973

This Sunday we FRAME THE ROOM!!!!!!!  Here's a model of what the plan was yesterday. The single row is based on sight lines for a 2:0:1 screen with four way masking; however, that configuration is dependent on whether or not I can figure out how to build 4-way motorized masking panels. If I can't, I'll go 2:35 instead, and I'll have two rows instead of one since sight lines would open up.

Reply What's Your System Configuration

Tags
Emotiva Xpr 1 , Marantz Av8801 , Jvc Dla Rs66 , Cambridge Audio Azur Dacmagic 100 Silver , Oppo Bdp 105 Blu Ray Player , Panamax M5300 Pm 11 Outlet Clean Power Level 4 Black
Gear in this thread - Av8801 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page