BrolicBeast's Living Room Theater - Page 107 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #3181 of 3327 Old 05-06-2014, 09:32 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 87
I'm a little confused. It sounds like you are doing some of the theater build by yourself? My thoughts were that the company PMC (I think) was supposed to do all the construction work and also do the screen, masking , projector room, etc, etc. The only thing you should be doing is picking out the theater gear, furniture, decor and then watch as PMC does all the hard work.. Am I wrong?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3182 of 3327 Old 05-06-2014, 09:38 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 181 Post(s)
Liked: 308
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevon27 View Post

I'm a little confused. It sounds like you are doing some of the theater build by yourself? My thoughts were that the company PMC (I think) was supposed to do all the construction work and also do the screen, masking , projector room, etc, etc. The only thing you should be doing is picking out the theater gear, furniture, decor and then watch as PMC does all the hard work.. Am I wrong?

PMI is working the layout of the room (speaker placement, etc.) but they don't have in-house construction crews. Myself and AVS user BigMouthInDC are building the theater. I was going to use PMI for acoustic analysis and treatment design as well, but I may end up I using Acoustic Frontiers instead. Those services are in a holding pattern until the drywall is up.

The Build:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
| The System:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
| The Video Series:

Social:
|
|
|
|
post #3183 of 3327 Old 05-06-2014, 09:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrolicBeast View Post

PMI is working the layout of the room (speaker placement, etc.) but they don't have in-house construction crews. Myself and AVS user BigMouthInDC are building the theater. I was going to use PMI for acoustic analysis and treatment design as well, but I may end up I using Acoustic Frontiers instead. Those services are in a holding pattern until the drywall is up.

Okay... PMI and not PMC..
post #3184 of 3327 Old 05-07-2014, 04:38 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Ladies and Gents, i give you: The theater space for The Beast, Unleashed theater :D:):cool:

The Build:
| The System:
| The Video Series:

Social:
|
|
|
|
post #3185 of 3327 Old 05-07-2014, 05:32 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Matt, great video. I can't wait for the fun to begin. JT

My meager set up

post #3186 of 3327 Old 05-07-2014, 05:55 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jnnt29 View Post

Matt, great video. I can't wait for the fun to begin. JT

Thanks JT! It's going to be a funnnnnn ride!!!

The Build:
| The System:
| The Video Series:

Social:
|
|
|
|
post #3187 of 3327 Old 05-11-2014, 05:36 PM

I'm curios. How you will be testing the effectiveness of the soundproofing? When all the walls are up and you put in some"real" subwoofers, something like the JTR S2's driven at close to or at reference levels, I think isolating bass vibrations will be hard if the room is not completely separated from the main foundation.
post #3188 of 3327 Old 05-11-2014, 07:33 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I'm curios. How you will be testing the effectiveness of the soundproofing? When all the walls are up and you put in some"real" subwoofers, something like the JTR S2's driven at close to or at reference levels, I think isolating bass vibrations will be hard if the room is not completely separated from the main foundation.

The room will be isolated...room within room (double wall) with three sheets of 5/8 with green glue on all walls and ceiling (that was fun today), isolation clips, channel, and one heck of a test run planned (which I will have on video with a db meter to verify results!)

The Build:
| The System:
| The Video Series:

Social:
|
|
|
|
post #3189 of 3327 Old 05-14-2014, 10:15 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Hey gents, here's a link to the new video series thread for the theater build: http://www.avsforum.com/t/1531727/video-series-building-the-beast-unleashed

The Build:
| The System:
| The Video Series:

Social:
|
|
|
|
post #3190 of 3327 Old 05-14-2014, 05:44 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Great 2nd video man and having the misses involved is very very cool!!!! Attention to small details is key since you are building that soundproof foundation to contain a monstrous setup.
post #3191 of 3327 Old 05-22-2014, 04:20 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wkingincharge View Post

Great 2nd video man and having the misses involved is very very cool!!!! Attention to small details is key since you are building that soundproof foundation to contain a monstrous setup.

Man, her contributions really helped move things along quickly.  She's not helping me demo the bathroom down there though--it's too hard for her to stomach. (the destruction of a perfectly good bathroom)

The Build:
| The System:
| The Video Series:

Social:
|
|
|
|
post #3192 of 3327 Old 05-22-2014, 04:22 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Updated Plan--room slightly shortened to 26 ft. for HVAC access.: 

The Build:
| The System:
| The Video Series:

Social:
|
|
|
|
post #3193 of 3327 Old 05-28-2014, 07:56 AM

How is the theater build coming along? I have to give it up to you man.. I would not have the patience or the will power to attempt any kind of theater construction like yours by myself.
I'm still procrastinating putting up a ceiling fan which should only take 45 minutes as per the directions.
post #3194 of 3327 Old 05-28-2014, 08:17 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

How is the theater build coming along? I have to give it up to you man.. I would not have the patience or the will power to attempt any kind of theater construction like yours by myself.
I'm still procrastinating putting up a ceiling fan which should only take 45 minutes as per the directions.

LOL, it takes a special kind of patience man.  Putting this drywall between the joists is taking its toll on my sanity!  I'd probably procrastinate on the ceiling fan too; my electrical abilities are limited to swapping outlets and building custom Romex extension cords.  A fan is byond my current knowledge. lol.  The build is going quite well.  I did just put my CinemaPlus Platinums up for sale though--If I used them, I'd have to shell out the extra $ for custom speakers from Triad for the height layer of auro 3D.  I'm thinking about Procella P8's or the P610's, which are supposed to be more of a lateral move, as long as they're used within a baffle wall (which is the same design concept behind the Cinema Plus Platinums).  Outside of that possible change, everything else is hinging on my moving of the HVAC, Water Heater, and Bathroom.  A terribly expensive endeavor, but a necessary one to get room dimensions that meet my requirements.

wilfredent likes this.

The Build:
| The System:
| The Video Series:

Social:
|
|
|
|
post #3195 of 3327 Old 05-28-2014, 09:00 AM

Quote:

LOL, it takes a special kind of patience man.  Putting this drywall between the joists is taking its toll on my sanity!  I'd probably procrastinate on the ceiling fan too; my electrical abilities are limited to swapping outlets and building custom Romex extension cords.  A fan is byond my current knowledge. lol.  The build is going quite well.  I did just put my CinemaPlus Platinums up for sale though--If I used them, I'd have to shell out the extra $ for custom speakers from Triad for the height layer of auro 3D.  I'm thinking about Procella P8's or the P610's, which are supposed to be more of a lateral move, as long as they're used within a baffle wall (which is the same design concept behind the Cinema Plus Platinums).  Outside of that possible change, everything else is hinging on my moving of the HVAC, Water Heater, and Bathroom.  A terribly expensive endeavor, but a necessary one to get room dimensions that meet my requirements.

Auro3d - Nice.. But which processor will you be using? Storm Audio or Datasat?
post #3196 of 3327 Old 05-28-2014, 09:38 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Auro3d - Nice.. But which processor will you be using? Storm Audio or Datasat?

Looking at the Storm processor right now man.  It looks like a beast!

The Build:
| The System:
| The Video Series:

Social:
|
|
|
|
post #3197 of 3327 Old 05-28-2014, 10:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 106 Post(s)
Liked: 75
Hey Matt, check your other thread for a quick question. You may have already answered it. If so, sorry for asking again.

It ain't easy being green.

post #3198 of 3327 Old 05-28-2014, 10:08 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MIkeDuke View Post

Hey Matt, check your other thread for a quick question. You may have already answered it. If so, sorry for asking again.

Answered in The Beast, Unleashed!

The Build:
| The System:
| The Video Series:

Social:
|
|
|
|
post #3199 of 3327 Old 05-28-2014, 01:09 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked: 311
Quote:

Matt,

I'm just gonna throw this out there...

Your seating shows 2 rows of 4 seats. It looks like they're centered on the screen. In this configuration, there is no single seat in the "sweet spot." The 2 middle seats straddle the sweet spot, but no seat in either row takes advantage of the best possible listening position in your theater.

Which row will be your "primary" row? Where will YOU plan to sit most of the time? Wherever that is, if this were my theater, I would work to optimize that one primary listening position. I would move it until it's centered on the center speaker. I would calibrate the system for levels and distances to that one spot. Then I would plop my ass down in that one spot, and only give it up to someone I really want to impress. smile.gif

Maybe consider making the front row a row of 3 seats, with the middle seat centered on the center speaker??? If this were my theater, that's what I would do. (Actually, in my theater, I have one row of 4 seats, but the whole row is shifted so the 2nd seat from the left is directly centered on the center speaker, i.e., in the sweet spot.)

I'm just sayin'. It would seem a shame to spend all this time, money and effort to built the "ultimate" HT... and then have no one sitting in the "best seat in the house"... not even you.

Craig

Lombardi said it:
Perfection is not attainable, but if we chase perfection we can catch excellence."

post #3200 of 3327 Old 05-28-2014, 06:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 152 Post(s)
Liked: 156
Quote:
Originally Posted by craig john View Post

. If this were my theater, that's what I would do. (Actually, in my theater, I have one row of 4 seats, but the whole row is shifted so the 2nd seat from the left is directly centered on the center speaker, i.e., in the sweet spot.)

I'm just sayin'. It would seem a shame to spend all this time, money and effort to built the "ultimate" HT... and then have no one sitting in the "best seat in the house"... not even you.

Craig

Ditto!

I have one row with 4 seats as I did in my last theater. I have my row shifted to the left. I take the sweet spot when it is just me and the bride (she could care less) but when we have another couple over, I take the worst seat which is in front of the left speaker.

For music, 99.9999999% of the time, it is just me and the sweet spot dead center is the only place to sit. For movies, it is still far superior to any other seat in the room.

Just sayin'

Chuck

R 8:28

post #3201 of 3327 Old 05-29-2014, 04:22 AM
AVS Special Member

I will add my little bit even though my theater is much smaller with only two chairs tongue.gif that are not connected. When I got the chairs I just plopped them down in what I thought were good spots. Then Craig came over and said NO NO NO. We have to center your main seat. Well, we did that and the change was very noticeable, It made the chairs closer together now but it was worth the sonic benefit.

post #3202 of 3327 Old 05-29-2014, 06:16 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by craig john View Post

Matt,

Your seating shows 2 rows of 4 seats. It looks like they're centered on the screen. In this configuration, there is no single seat in the "sweet spot." The 2 middle seats straddle the sweet spot, but no seat in either row takes advantage of the best possible listening position in your theater.

Which row will be your "primary" row? Where will YOU plan to sit most of the time? Wherever that is, if this were my theater, I would work to optimize that one primary listening position. I would move it until it's centered on the center speaker. I would calibrate the system for levels and distances to that one spot. Then I would plop my ass down in that one spot, and only give it up to someone I really want to impress. smile.gif

Maybe consider making the front row a row of 3 seats, with the middle seat centered on the center speaker??? If this were my theater, that's what I would do. (Actually, in my theater, I have one row of 4 seats, but the whole row is shifted so the 2nd seat from the left is directly centered on the center speaker, i.e., in the sweet spot.)

Craig

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioguy View Post

Ditto!

I have one row with 4 seats as I did in my last theater. I have my row shifted to the left. I take the sweet spot when it is just me and the bride (she could care less) but when we have another couple over, I take the worst seat which is in front of the left speaker.

For music, 99.9999999% of the time, it is just me and the sweet spot dead center is the only place to sit. For movies, it is still far superior to any other seat in the room.

Just sayin'

Chuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by MIkeDuke View Post

I will add my little bit even though my theater is much smaller with only two chairs tongue.gif that are not connected. When I got the chairs I just plopped them down in what I thought were good spots. Then Craig came over and said NO NO NO. We have to center your main seat. Well, we did that and the change was very noticeable, It made the chairs closer together now but it was worth the sonic benefit.

Gents,

I’m embarrassed to admit that the front row shows four seats primarily because in five-minutes of searching, I couldn’t find a row of three in the modeling program that matched the rear row, and vice-versa; I couldn’t fund a rear row of four that matched any set of three, so I just slapped a row of four in the front row.  The plan is indeed to have three seats though, as the Sweet Spot is absolutely Critical to me. Being off-center is not an option for the resting place of the BrolicButtocks.

The Build:
| The System:
| The Video Series:

Social:
|
|
|
|
post #3203 of 3327 Old 05-29-2014, 06:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Gents,

I’m embarrassed to admit that the front row shows only three seats primarily because in five-minutes of searching, I couldn’t find a row of three in the modeling program that matched the rear row, and vice-versa; I couldn’t fund a rear row of four that matched any set of three, so I just slapped a row of four in the front row.  The plan is indeed to have three seats though, as the Sweet Spot is absolutely Critical to me. Being off-center is not an option for the resting place of the BrolicButtocks.
Cool. Glad to hear that. It would have been surprising if you did not plan for that in the first place.

post #3204 of 3327 Old 05-29-2014, 11:45 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked: 311
Quote:

Gents,

I’m embarrassed to admit that the front row shows four seats primarily because in five-minutes of searching, I couldn’t find a row of three in the modeling program that matched the rear row, and vice-versa; I couldn’t fund a rear row of four that matched any set of three, so I just slapped a row of four in the front row.  The plan is indeed to have three seats though, as the Sweet Spot is absolutely Critical to me. Being off-center is not an option for the resting place of the BrolicButtocks.
Glad to hear you'll have a seat in the sweet spot, but TBH, I could have lived without the "visual" of the BrolicButtocks! eek.gif

biggrin.gif

Craig

Lombardi said it:
Perfection is not attainable, but if we chase perfection we can catch excellence."

post #3205 of 3327 Old 06-15-2014, 05:00 PM
CIH USER

Quoted: 145 Post(s)
Liked: 205
Quote:
Originally Posted by craig john View Post
Quote:Originally Posted by BrolicBeast 

Matt,

Which row will be your "primary" row? Where will YOU plan to sit most of the time? Wherever that is, if this were my theater, I would work to optimize that one primary listening position. I would move it until it's centered on the center speaker. I would calibrate the system for levels and distances to that one spot. Then I would plop my ass down in that one spot, and only give it up to someone I really want to impress.

Craig
I agree there! I did the same got rid if my 4 seater and purchased a 3 seater. I sit in the sweet spot as I'm in there 99.98% of the time.
post #3206 of 3327 Old 06-19-2014, 05:07 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franin View Post
I agree there! I did the same got rid if my 4 seater and purchased a 3 seater. I sit in the sweet spot as I'm in there 99.98% of the time.
I concur as wel! Here is an updated model with proper seating!

The Build:
| The System:
| The Video Series:

Social:
|
|
|
|
post #3207 of 3327 Old 06-19-2014, 08:18 AM
CIH USER

Quoted: 145 Post(s)
Liked: 205
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrolicBeast View Post
I concur as wel! Here is an updated model with proper seating!

It's going to look great Brolic
post #3208 of 3327 Old 06-19-2014, 08:45 AM
AVS Special Member

I like the 3 seat 4 seat look. That is still plenty of seats for guests. You can post it here or in your other thread but what kind of seats are you getting again?

post #3209 of 3327 Old 06-19-2014, 01:49 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franin View Post
It's going to look great Brolic
Thanks Frank. I look forward to seeing your updated room with three seats in the front!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MIkeDuke View Post
I like the 3 seat 4 seat look. That is still plenty of seats for guests. You can post it here or in your other thread but what kind of seats are you getting again?
I'm currently looking at the Fusion Jives, I'm going to test them out this month at a local enthusiast's house to make sure they meet my comfort requirements. I reckon they will!

The Build:
| The System:
| The Video Series:

Social:
|
|
|
|
post #3210 of 3327 Old 06-19-2014, 04:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Wow Matt, they look really nice. Due to space constraints I can't those kind of "regular" HT chair that so many people have. When I was looking, Lazy-Boy fit my width requirements. But they are just regular recliners with no cup holders or anything. But they are very comfy so I am happy with my choice. Those that you are looking ar sure seem nice though. I hope they work out.

Reply What's Your System Configuration

Tags
Emotiva Xpr 1 , Marantz Av8801 , Jvc Dla Rs66 , Cambridge Audio Azur Dacmagic 100 Silver , Oppo Bdp 105 Blu Ray Player , Panamax M5300 Pm 11 Outlet Clean Power Level 4 Black
Gear in this thread - Av8801 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page