post #3211 of 3333 Old 06-20-2014, 05:11 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 222 Post(s)
Liked: 332
Quote:
Originally Posted by MIkeDuke View Post
Wow Matt, they look really nice. Due to space constraints I can't those kind of "regular" HT chair that so many people have. When I was looking, Lazy-Boy fit my width requirements. But they are just regular recliners with no cup holders or anything. But they are very comfy so I am happy with my choice. Those that you are looking ar sure seem nice though. I hope they work out.
In my honest opinion, cup-holders are overrated. I don't generally drink at the movies (the stuff they have isn't good for the body) and I'm not usually thirsty during movie time. But they're still a "nice-to-have" for the off times when i do get thirsty during or before a movie. Vikgrao (the man of steel themed HT of the Month a few months back) has them in his theater too (click here to view) and I love their look.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3212 of 3333 Old 06-20-2014, 05:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 126 Post(s)
Liked: 78
Like I said, they are nice looking chairs. There are so many different companies to choose from though. I am sure those are top notch and will really be great in your theater.

It ain't easy being green.
My System
post #3213 of 3333 Old 06-20-2014, 05:36 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

So, I’ve been giving this a lot of thought…..

--As long as I have an HTPC properlyconfigured with the right multi-channel DAC and EQ, I could skip the Pre/Proindefinitely, even for Auro3D and ATMOS. As long as the software adopts those formats, it should work verywell. My only hang-up is the fact that Ihave other sources that I’ll want to use as source materials as well (Oppo, XboxOne, PS4, etc.). any thoughts on devices that enable input into an HTPC video card?

-BTW—OMG did anybody follow E3? There are some awesome games coming out…

--I can’t wait to experience Halo 5:Guardians. Halo 4 was one of the top A/Vexperiences I’ve ever had. The soundmixing (object-based) was through the roof of sheer excellence. Gaming in Auro3D/ATMOS upmixing is going to beamazing…

Last edited by BrolicBeast; 06-20-2014 at 05:53 AM.
post #3214 of 3333 Old 06-20-2014, 08:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Not to be a total dummy here Matt, but without a dedicated HT pre-amp, how do the amps get connected to the computer. Is there an add on board that you use some how? I know you had a particular server in mind. I don't know if that is still on the table but with that one, or one that you build, how do the amps get connected. I know there is at least one other person who is doing this and others are talking about it, but I am confused on the implementation of such a setup.

My System
post #3215 of 3333 Old 06-20-2014, 09:33 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Not to be a total dummy here Matt, but without a dedicated HT pre-amp, how do the amps get connected to the computer. Is there an add on board that you use some how? I know you had a particular server in mind. I don't know if that is still on the table but with that one, or one that you build, how do the amps get connected. I know there is at least one other person who is doing this and others are talking about it, but I am confused on the implementation of such a setup.
There are some multi-channel DACs (and analog output cards) out there that allow this. When I've had pre/pros out for servicing in the past, my two channel backup has always been computer usb-to-cambridge audio dac magic -to-amps.
post #3216 of 3333 Old 06-20-2014, 09:57 AM
AVS Special Member

I did not know that. So that's how it's done. Would you then control the volume through Jriver? I know that whenever I listen to music, it has a volume control. I don't use that. I just use my Integra volume control but I guess when you watch a movie you can do the same thing? I also assume the other thing to work on is how you would switch sources, which is what you sort of mentioned above. It's a pretty cool idea. I hope you can work it out the way you want and have a full RC suite on there too. I will be interested to see what the final result looks like.

My System
post #3217 of 3333 Old 06-22-2014, 03:11 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Beautiful system man.
post #3218 of 3333 Old 06-23-2014, 05:22 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
I did not know that. So that's how it's done. Would you then control the volume through Jriver? I know that whenever I listen to music, it has a volume control. I don't use that. I just use my Integra volume control but I guess when you watch a movie you can do the same thing? I also assume the other thing to work on is how you would switch sources, which is what you sort of mentioned above. It's a pretty cool idea. I hope you can work it out the way you want and have a full RC suite on there too. I will be interested to see what the final result looks like.
Yup, JRiver would do all the volume control. I generally have used my pre-pro for volume control, but without the pre-pro, JRiver has the capability. Also, I've just learned that Marantz has announced a 13-channel follow up to its 8801 pre/pro (which i reviewed here). The follow-up's model designation is: 8802! lol. So I may shoot for that instead of chosing between JRiver-processing and the Datasat and Storm Audio processors.

Quote:
Originally Posted by White Noise View Post
Beautiful system man.
Thanks I bid unto thee, ye noise of colorlessness!
post #3219 of 3333 Old 06-23-2014, 06:33 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

IF YOU SMELLLLLLLLLL, WHAT THE ROCK.....IS COOKIN'

CHECK IT OUT: Dolby Atmos Comes Home in New Onkyo AVRs, Pre/Pro
post #3220 of 3333 Old 06-24-2014, 04:10 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

The Beast, Unleashed [Episode 3]: The Fanatical Mechanical Move

post #3221 of 3333 Old 06-24-2014, 06:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrolicBeast View Post
Yup, JRiver would do all the volume control. I generally have used my pre-pro for volume control, but without the pre-pro, JRiver has the capability. Also, I've just learned that Marantz has announced a 13-channel follow up to its 8801 pre/pro (which i reviewed here). The follow-up's model designation is: 8802! lol. So I may shoot for that instead of chosing between JRiver-processing and the Datasat and Storm Audio processors.
Got you. What do you think would make you choose between just going with the Jriver+server solution or that new Marantz processor. 13.1 huh. That would be enough for a full ATMOS setup right?

My System
post #3222 of 3333 Old 07-01-2014, 12:06 PM

Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked: 98
Datasat and Storm audio processors are just custom PC's running custom linux...
You can build your own and have channels well beyond 16.. I believe J-River support up to 32 channels.
http://www.audioscience.com/internet...i550x_560x.htm

Here's how to do it..
http://www.acousticfrontiers.com/hom...ro-with-a-htpc
post #3223 of 3333 Old 07-01-2014, 12:34 PM
AVS Special Member

That looks pretty cool indeed. My server is a simple one compared to that. It's all proprietary as I really don't have the skills to do it myself. But that does look really neat. I am using Windows 7 and Jriver 18 though. But I probably haven't even scratched the surface of what I can do with Jriver. But that's OK. I not as hardcore as many guys here are.

My System
post #3224 of 3333 Old 07-07-2014, 06:04 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 182 Post(s)
Liked: 926
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevon27 View Post
You can build your own and have channels well beyond 16.. I believe J-River support up to 32 channels.

Here's how to do it..
This is cool. I'd be scared of the set up and tweaking though.

-

"Too much is almost enough. Anything in life worth doing is worth overdoing. Moderation is for cowards."
post #3225 of 3333 Old 07-07-2014, 08:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 265
Quote:
IF YOU SMELLLLLLLLLL, WHAT THE ROCK.....IS COOKIN'

CHECK IT OUT: Dolby Atmos Comes Home in New Onkyo AVRs, Pre/Pro
I want to see what Denon does. I'd like to see Atmos and MDA to compare the two as MDA technically is the superior option. Might be time to shop for a new receiver/prepro.
post #3226 of 3333 Old 07-07-2014, 01:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 280 Post(s)
Liked: 250
Quote:
Originally Posted by pcweber111 View Post
I want to see what Denon does. I'd like to see Atmos and MDA to compare the two as MDA technically is the superior option. Might be time to shop for a new receiver/prepro.
Hopefully Denon won't be stupid and abandoned Audyssey like Integra/Onkyo has. What a dumb move on the part of Onkyo!!

Even when I'm not having a particularly good day, I am at least having a day!

New Theater 

Build Thread
post #3227 of 3333 Old 07-07-2014, 02:54 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I'd really like to see HTPCs with full ATMOS/4K support...If they miss the bus this CEDIA, I may abandon HTPC altogether in favor of dedicated source/processing devices.
post #3228 of 3333 Old 07-07-2014, 03:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
I'd really like to see HTPCs with full ATMOS/4K support...If they miss the bus this CEDIA, I may abandon HTPC altogether in favor of dedicated source/processing devices.
You don't think that the company you were looking at before?(I can't remember the name though but you linked to in your thread) or someone like Assassin PC would make something like that? Or you don't think their parts out there to build your own, or are you tired of that. What ever solution you get, I will be interested to see it in action.

My System
post #3229 of 3333 Old 07-07-2014, 03:28 PM
AVS Addicted Member

HTPC will always support at some point. Too many geeks out there.

I think MakeMKV or whatever rips BR discs should support ripping ATMOS. I wonder how they matrix in the channels ?? Is the ATMOS channel discrete or is it using the old pro logic style tech where they run it out of phase on different channels to be extracted ?

I think originally when the first stereo movies became "surround" what they did was take whatever was mono (on both L + R channels in phase) and send it to the center channel. Then anything on only the left or the right channel would play on those speakers. Anything that was on both the left and the right channels but totally out of phase would get converted to another mono channel and sent to both rear surrounds.

That is how they got sound from stereo to a L C R + dual surrounds before 5.1 was invented as discrete audio. Then they went back to that tech to extract 6.1 or matrix out 7.1 from a 5.1 mix. I wonder how ATMOS is handled, and if the ATMOS channel is discrete or matrix-ed? I would assume it's a discrete channel- but does it compete with the "back" two channels of 7.1 ?

-

"Too much is almost enough. Anything in life worth doing is worth overdoing. Moderation is for cowards."
post #3230 of 3333 Old 07-07-2014, 03:38 PM
AVS Addicted Member

regarding 4k- You can get that from HTPC now but the source material is scarce. The problem isn't the PC tech, PC can support a 4k resolution, and in fact there is a lot of native 4k PC monitors available for sale too. HDMI sucks ass- but display port handles 4k just fine which the the premium connection for a modern PC display. Most of the newer higher end GPU's have 4k support via display port. You can make it work over HDMI but the problem is the HDMI only handles certain refresh rates because again HDMI sucks. You would have to grab a next generation GPU card that has HDMI 2.0 support to accommodate full 4k. The next generation of Intel CPU will have this support btw...

For HTPC the best option for 4k resolutions would be something like MADVR with a really powerful GPU card because my guess is for the new couple years a lot of your content will be 1080p > 4k rather than native 4k so it would be important how good normal 1080p BR discs and movies look and sound.

That is a good set up ^ for 4k.

-

post #3231 of 3333 Old 07-07-2014, 06:23 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

post #3232 of 3333 Old 07-07-2014, 06:24 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Got you. What do you think would make you choose between just going with the Jriver+server solution or that new Marantz processor. 13.1 huh. That would be enough for a full ATMOS setup right?
Quote:
That looks pretty cool indeed. My server is a simple one compared to that. It's all proprietary as I really don't have the skills to do it myself. But that does look really neat. I am using Windows 7 and Jriver 18 though. But I probably haven't even scratched the surface of what I can do with Jriver. But that's OK. I not as hardcore as many guys here are.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mfusick View Post
Quote:
Quote:
You don't think that the company you were looking at before?(I can't remember the name though but you linked to in your thread) or someone like Assassin PC would make something like that? Or you don't think their parts out there to build your own, or are you tired of that. What ever solution you get, I will be interested to see it in action.
Quote:

I think MakeMKV or whatever rips BR discs should support ripping ATMOS. I wonder how they matrix in the channels ?? Is the ATMOS channel discrete or is it using the old pro logic style tech where they run it out of phase on different channels to be extracted ?

I think originally when the first stereo movies became "surround" what they did was take whatever was mono (on both L + R channels in phase) and send it to the center channel. Then anything on only the left or the right channel would play on those speakers. Anything that was on both the left and the right channels but totally out of phase would get converted to another mono channel and sent to both rear surrounds.

That is how they got sound from stereo to a L C R + dual surrounds before 5.1 was invented as discrete audio. Then they went back to that tech to extract 6.1 or matrix out 7.1 from a 5.1 mix. I wonder how ATMOS is handled, and if the ATMOS channel is discrete or matrix-ed? I would assume it's a discrete channel- but does it compete with the "back" two channels of 7.1 ?
Quote:
regarding 4k- You can get that from HTPC now but the source material is scarce. The problem isn't the PC tech, PC can support a 4k resolution, and in fact there is a lot of native 4k PC monitors available for sale too. HDMI sucks ass- but display port handles 4k just fine which the the premium connection for a modern PC display. Most of the newer higher end GPU's have 4k support via display port. You can make it work over HDMI but the problem is the HDMI only handles certain refresh rates because again HDMI sucks. You would have to grab a next generation GPU card that has HDMI 2.0 support to accommodate full 4k. The next generation of Intel CPU will have this support btw...

For HTPC the best option for 4k resolutions would be something like MADVR with a really powerful GPU card because my guess is for the new couple years a lot of your content will be 1080p > 4k rather than native 4k so it would be important how good normal 1080p BR discs and movies look and sound.

Fellas--I have a few questions/comments for you guys, but I have to go fold laundry. I'm going to follow-up in the morning. I love JRiver and I hope MakeMKV can rip the atmos stream.....

We must discuss more tomorrow!
Mfusick likes this.
post #3233 of 3333 Old 07-08-2014, 04:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Fellas--I have a few questions/comments for you guys, but I have to go fold laundry. I'm going to follow-up in the morning. I love JRiver and I hope MakeMKV can rip the atmos stream.....

We must discuss more tomorrow!
This is the company you were looking at
http://www.steigerdynamics.com/Default
It looks like they have 4k machines but I don't know about that audio part. I don't think my server can play back 4k media. I think in Jriver, you can up convert a movie beyond 1080p. What I don't know is if a 4k disk can be down converted to play on my system. If BR's start out just with having ATMOS, and you can rip it with MKV, what would play back as on a system that is ATMOS ready? Can you even do that? It would be cool if I could play the new disks somehow on my present system so I can just start a collection of those. But this is your thread . Again, I will be interested in your solution.

My System

Last edited by MIkeDuke; 07-08-2014 at 05:31 AM.
post #3234 of 3333 Old 07-08-2014, 04:38 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
The main deciding factor would be channel count. The Marantz looks great! But--i'd like to have between 24 and 32 channels available to me, and something tells me that in a year or so, such things will be quite possible. If JRiver announces some sort of 32 channel ATMOS support soon, then that might push me over the edge. Do you think the folks over at Bestis might have some inside knowledge? I wonder...

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevon27 View Post

Here's how to do it..
Absolutely! I followed that thread very closely. The success of that thread is the main reason the HTPC is on my radar as an all-in-one solution!

Quote:
I think if you changed the chassis of your server, you could pull this off easily. But the roadblock would be the same one most of us would face; We need to process audio for more than just movies. Additional sources complicate the matter greatly, due to the fact that they can't currently exist in a setup like this.

Quote:
Impossible! Nothing with a computer scares you!! I've seen you write complex posts that go way over my head, for sure (and I'm a builder myself, albeit a "builder-tired-of-building").

Quote:
I think MDA will be the ultimate showstopper!

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioguy View Post
Hopefully Denon won't be stupid and abandoned Audyssey like Integra/Onkyo has. What a dumb move on the part of Onkyo!!
I originally thought Onkyo abandoned Audyssey becasuse it didn't have the capability to measure speakers accurately enough for object-based audio. Although, the more I read, it seemed Onkyo didn't want to pony up the $?? Either way, it Audyssey can handle it, and Onkyo left it, then it's going to be at the bottom of the pile.

Quote:
You're thinking about Steiger Dynamics! They could do it (APC could do it too), but we need full support on all devices to make it work (i.e. ripping Atmos, full HDMI 2.0 compliance for next-gen graphics cards, source material worthy of the effort, etc.)

Quote:

I think MakeMKV or whatever rips BR discs should support ripping ATMOS. I wonder how they matrix in the channels ?? Is the ATMOS channel discrete or is it using the old pro logic style tech where they run it out of phase on different channels to be extracted?

There won't be any discrete channels in Atmos outside of the base 7-channel layer. Everything else is based on the location of the speaker. It's less about discrete v.s. matrixing and more like: "If the object isn't encoded in the track (of an inevitable newer blu ray), then we have to matrix it"

Quote:

Agree with almost everything above. It really does all come down to the source material, as PC hardware will eventually catch up to the point of maintstream Atmos/HDMI 2.0 compliance even in the lower end items.

if Only displayport could become mainstream....

Last edited by BrolicBeast; 07-08-2014 at 04:52 AM.
post #3235 of 3333 Old 07-08-2014, 08:08 AM
AVS Addicted Member

The nice thing about HTPC is that you can swap a GPU card and have modern graphics (aka HDMI 2.0) at any point easily.

Good to know about how they encode Atmos into the BR. I admit I'm behind in my knowledge of that area.

Builder tired of building haha. I'm almost there
post #3236 of 3333 Old 07-08-2014, 08:32 AM
AVS Special Member

I guess that's one of the drawbacks of doing it the way I did. I bought an all in one solution, and I don't think I can really change anything. Not like these other machines where you guys build it yourself. I am not complaining because I did not feel comfortable at all doing it myself. But it sure is easier for you guys. This is what my server has. It's the Intel Core i3-2120T Sandy Bridge Dual-Core 2.6GHz with HD graphics. From what I was told it can't do 3D(don't really care about that) and I don't think it can do 4k either(oh well). You guys who roll your own do have more options then somebody like me but I think I can live with what I have.

My System
post #3237 of 3333 Old 07-08-2014, 09:27 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
The nice thing about HTPC is that you can swap a GPU card and have modern graphics (aka HDMI 2.0) at any point easily.

Good to know about how they encode Atmos into the BR. I admit I'm behind in my knowledge of that area.

Builder tired of building haha. I'm almost there
Quote:
I guess that's one of the drawbacks of doing it the way I did. I bought an all in one solution, and I don't think I can really change anything. Not like these other machines where you guys build it yourself. I am not complaining because I did not feel comfortable at all doing it myself. But it sure is easier for you guys. This is what my server has. It's the Intel Core i3-2120T Sandy Bridge Dual-Core 2.6GHz with HD graphics. From what I was told it can't do 3D(don't really care about that) and I don't think it can do 4k either(oh well). You guys who roll your own do have more options then somebody like me but I think I can live with what I have.
I wonder why they don't make modular MONSTER GPU modules the same way they make these weakling consoles. It shouldn't take anything to create a set top box that can fit, say, four GTX Titans (max, but not minimum) with PCI-E slots, with a fiber-optic cable carrying the signal back to a compatible interface on the mother board. This would create a new market for people who 1) don't have space in their rigs for uber graphics cards, but want them, and 2) those of us who swap cards somewhat frequently. How has this NOT been done yet? @Mfusick and @MIkeDuke we should invent this. I could be the PM--we can all gather requirements from AVS users, Mfusick and I can Design and Develop it, MikeDuke can Test the GPU expansion module, we can throw a big "cool geek" party for Deployment. Sure, O&M wouldbe easy (i.e. our garages)

And thus, M-Cubed is formed (Matt, Mike, and Mike)
post #3238 of 3333 Old 07-08-2014, 09:44 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
A "T" chip is just a normal i3 2100 Sandy bridge dual core CPU but with a lowered multiplier (like a speed or RPM governor on a car or lawnmower) to keep it cooler and less energy consuming than a stock chip. It's not a huge difference from what you would buy and build.

That CPU is not 4k ready but it's perfectly acceptable platform for adding a GPU card that does 4k. You can get cards that do 4k for $69 and just drop it into a PCI express slot. I'd probably wait until HDMI 2.0 hits though unless you have a different solution (like dual HDMI or dual DVI or display port) that you can support now. For HTPC you'll want HDMI 2.0 that can carry sound and be decoded by an AVR for full audio. 4K isn't the problem - it's 4K + 7.1 audio in full quality over a connection that AVR and home theater systems can use. A picture only connection on a PC monitor isn't any problem.

You can add a GPU card to your current set up and you would get improvement without needing an entirely new machine or building anything. You use Jriver right ? More powerful GPU card would also allow you to use "RED OCTOBER" AKA MadVR for upconversion too. That way lower resolution sources can scale higher at maximum quality.

-

post #3239 of 3333 Old 07-08-2014, 09:59 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
I wonder why they don't make modular MONSTER GPU modules the same way they make these weakling consoles. It shouldn't take anything to create a set top box that can fit, say, four GTX Titans (max, but not minimum) with PCI-E slots, with a fiber-optic cable carrying the signal back to a compatible interface on the mother board. This would create a new market for people who 1) don't have space in their rigs for uber graphics cards, but want them, and 2) those of us who swap cards somewhat frequently. How has this NOT been done yet? @Mfusick and @MIkeDuke we should invent this. I could be the PM--we can all gather requirements from AVS users, Mfusick and I can Design and Develop it, MikeDuke can Test the GPU expansion module, we can throw a big "cool geek" party for Deployment. Sure, O&M wouldbe easy (i.e. our garages)

And thus, M-Cubed is formed (Matt, Mike, and Mike)
I think it's a technical specifications thing where when you scale GPU cards (aka AMD crossfire or Nvidia SLI) there's a certain way those GPU card need to interact with each other and share the processing load. That is why dual GPU cards (like the 295X) don't actually work better for a lot of applications (most HTPC applications) than a single GPU card. The software and features were not designed to take advantage of such a high end card. MadVR doesn't really work better on multiple GPU cards than it does on just one, so you are better off using one powerful card.

Going more powerful is simply a matter of spending more on a more powerful card. Something reasonably priced and consumer oriented and widely available like a 290X card is a good choice now if you must do it- you can always just replace the GPU with a newer more powerful GPU with HDMI 2.0 at the point you feel you need that. The one thing you can count on from the PC and gamer market is the future will bring more powerful products. It's easier to just start over or do an upgrade with PC tech, and non of the cutting edge tech stays cutting edge that long. The value is often found due to economies of scale, prices drop in volume MFG and after the initial research and development costs have been recouped. That is why the best deal is often the upper midrange, and usually when the current top end gets an upgrade and drops in price. You get almost cutting edge for a big discount. Most gamers buy this way, which is why most HTPC guys also adopt a similar strategy. It's just how the market is set up.

No one would want to pay 150% or more extra for a custom "add on" when a new solution is available cheaper that is better. Your idea is great if you could freeze time for a while and have no new products hit the street during the time. But if a year from now an entire new generation of cards comes out that is both superior and moderately priced it throws a big monkey wrench into things. It's just not worth the investment time and cost if you have to fight the evolution of the PC market. It's too Darwinist to stand a reasonable chance against it.

The only viable strategy would be use aftermarket consumer parts and change and adopt as the market does and keep on trucking. There's a bunch of widely successful companies that do that- basically they are just PC builders that make upper range machines for gamers or HTPC or customized solutions for business. They use all name brand stuff that is available to the public but they configure and test it and build for you. The best gamer machines are this, you can't really buy a cutting edge gaming machine as a premade machine from Dell / HP /Gateway etc....

-

post #3240 of 3333 Old 07-08-2014, 10:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
A "T" chip is just a normal i3 2100 Sandy bridge dual core CPU but with a lowered multiplier (like a speed or RPM governor on a car or lawnmower) to keep it cooler and less energy consuming than a stock chip. It's not a huge difference from what you would buy and build.

That CPU is not 4k ready but it's perfectly acceptable platform for adding a GPU card that does 4k. You can get cards that do 4k for $69 and just drop it into a PCI express slot. I'd probably wait until HDMI 2.0 hits though unless you have a different solution (like dual HDMI or dual DVI or display port) that you can support now. For HTPC you'll want HDMI 2.0 that can carry sound and be decoded by an AVR for full audio. 4K isn't the problem - it's 4K + 7.1 audio in full quality over a connection that AVR and home theater systems can use. A picture only connection on a PC monitor isn't any problem.

You can add a GPU card to your current set up and you would get improvement without needing an entirely new machine or building anything. You use Jriver right ? More powerful GPU card would also allow you to use "RED OCTOBER" AKA MadVR for upconversion too. That way lower resolution sources can scale higher at maximum quality.
I am not a DIY guy. When you say I could just drop in a card, I would not know how to do that. I do use Jriver but probably not to its fullest potential. I have no solution . I know my machine isn't the most powerful and to be honest, the owner not a nice guy. I would not know how to add a GPU card(don't even know what that is ). I mean honestly, right now it's all just academic for me since I have such a small room. I just like talking about it. I do know that if I modified the box I am using I could never send it back if needed to be fixed. The owner got all pissy when he saw programs that he did not support. If the day comes when I can step up and really cut loose, I will see what I can do. But for now, TRUHD and DTS-Master audio along with 1080p will have to do.

My System

Last edited by MIkeDuke; 07-08-2014 at 10:12 AM.
Reply What's Your System Configuration

Tags
Emotiva Xpr 1 , Marantz Av8801 , Jvc Dla Rs66 , Cambridge Audio Azur Dacmagic 100 Silver , Oppo Bdp 105 Blu Ray Player , Panamax M5300 Pm 11 Outlet Clean Power Level 4 Black
Gear in this thread - Av8801 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page