post #3241 of 3267 Old 07-08-2014, 10:22 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked: 263
Quote:
Originally Posted by MIkeDuke View Post
I am not a DIY guy. When you say I could just drop in a card, I would not know how to do that. I do use Jriver but probably not to its fullest potential. I have no solution . I know my machine isn't the most powerful and to be honest, the owner not a nice guy. I would not know how to add a GPU card(don't even know what that is ). I mean honestly, right now it's all just academic for me since I have such a small room. I just like talking about it. I do know that if I modified the box I am using I could never send it back if needed to be fixed. The owner got all pissy when he saw programs that he did not support. If the day comes when I can step up and really cut loose, I will see what I can do. But for now, TRUHD and DTS-Master audio along with 1080p will have to do.
Seriously...the owner got upset because you installed programs on a PC that you own??? I'm going to shoot you a PM this evening with some interesting info about his company. Be sure to mention some of the items I list the next time he gets upset with you. Be sure to tell Dennis about that as well....I'm sure that Dennis will explain to him that such conduct does not equate to happy customers, and unhappy customers take their money elsewhere. I'm quite surprised by this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3242 of 3267 Old 07-08-2014, 10:31 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mfusick View Post
I think it's a technical specifications thing where when you scale GPU cards (aka AMD crossfire or Nvidia SLI) there's a certain way those GPU card need to interact with each other and share the processing load. That is why dual GPU cards (like the 295X) don't actually work better for a lot of applications (most HTPC applications) than a single GPU card. The software and features were not designed to take advantage of such a high end card. MadVR doesn't really work better on multiple GPU cards than it does on just one, so you are better off using one powerful card.

Going more powerful is simply a matter of spending more on a more powerful card. Something reasonably priced and consumer oriented and widely available like a 290X card is a good choice now if you must do it- you can always just replace the GPU with a newer more powerful GPU with HDMI 2.0 at the point you feel you need that. The one thing you can count on from the PC and gamer market is the future will bring more powerful products. It's easier to just start over or do an upgrade with PC tech, and non of the cutting edge tech stays cutting edge that long. The value is often found due to economies of scale, prices drop in volume MFG and after the initial research and development costs have been recouped. That is why the best deal is often the upper midrange, and usually when the current top end gets an upgrade and drops in price. You get almost cutting edge for a big discount. Most gamers buy this way, which is why most HTPC guys also adopt a similar strategy. It's just how the market is set up.

No one would want to pay 150% or more extra for a custom "add on" when a new solution is available cheaper that is better. Your idea is great if you could freeze time for a while and have no new products hit the street during the time. But if a year from now an entire new generation of cards comes out that is both superior and moderately priced it throws a big monkey wrench into things. It's just not worth the investment time and cost if you have to fight the evolution of the PC market. It's too Darwinist to stand a reasonable chance against it.

The only viable strategy would be use aftermarket consumer parts and change and adopt as the market does and keep on trucking. There's a bunch of widely successful companies that do that- basically they are just PC builders that make upper range machines for gamers or HTPC or customized solutions for business. They use all name brand stuff that is available to the public but they configure and test it and build for you. The best gamer machines are this, you can't really buy a cutting edge gaming machine as a premade machine from Dell / HP /Gateway etc....
The PCI-E x16 interface isn't going anywhere anytime soon, right? This would be the common denominator here. As graphics cards improve, they'd still use the same motherboard interface for at least a decade or so. Create a box with four upright PCI-E x16 slots....next year, and a year after that, just swap cards in an otherwise small form factor PC. The potential bottleneck would be the cable that connects from the box to the mother board, which would need to be some type of fiber optic cable, I envision. I wish a company would just make this.
post #3243 of 3267 Old 07-08-2014, 10:48 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 589
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrolicBeast View Post
The PCI-E x16 interface isn't going anywhere anytime soon, right? This would be the common denominator here. As graphics cards improve, they'd still use the same motherboard interface for at least a decade or so. Create a box with four upright PCI-E x16 slots....next year, and a year after that, just swap cards in an otherwise small form factor PC. The potential bottleneck would be the cable that connects from the box to the mother board, which would need to be some type of fiber optic cable, I envision. I wish a company would just make this.
Depends on who you ask. Intel has some interesting things planned with Skylake. ( next generation PC platform )

At the heart of a lot of it is thunderbolt. Intel designed and patented the thunderbolt tech and then did something interesting, they gave it to apple exclusively for the first 2 years as a way to get apple on board with it. Now that 2 years is up Intel will push this awesome tech everywhere...

You should be able to run a GPU card over a thunderbolt connection so your idea of adding on GPU cards ... that is how you would do it.

Quote:
For the last few years, Intel and Apple have worked to create an ecosystem around Intel’s Thunderbolt interface, formerly known as Light Peak. The first generation Thunderbolt interface offered four independent lanes at 10Gbps down a single cable, while Thunderbolt 2 allowed those lanes to be combined into two 20Gbps channels. It looks like Thunderbolt 3 (codenamed Alpine Ridge) further doubles up on performance by increasing bandwidth to 40Gbps (around 5.1GB/sec). That’s enough bandwidth for multiple 4K video streams off a single controller or ultra-fast high-end PCI-Express SSDs — or at least, it will be if Intel fixes the backhaul problem.

Check the listed features and you’ll note that the new standard is PCIe 3.0 compatible. That probably means that it supports the PCI Express 3.0 standard for remote graphics cards, but frankly it would be more excited if it also supports PCIe 3.0 for the actual motherboard link.

The other two major features of the new Alpine Ridge controller are its support for HDMI 2.0 (allowing for 4K resolutions at 60Hz) and the implementation of a 100W power delivery capability (just like the USB Power Delivery spec). This will allow companies like Apple to build single-cable MacBook products — there won’t be any need for a separate power connector for charging the device. Other PC manufacturers could also follow suit, though high-end laptops with more than 100W of power consumption will continue to rely on separate bricks. Intel is also promising sharply reduced power consumption and two different controller SKUs, presumably to give manufacturers a lower-cost option.

Alpine Ridge is expected to debut alongside Intel’s Skylake chipsets, which won’t arrive in market until 2015. USB 3.1 is also going to be released by that time but it's bandwidth and design specifications do not lend as well for GPU performance as the new Intel thunderbolt tech does.

So it would be possible to add a GPU card by plugging it in as an external box or "add on" upgrade without knowing anything. Just plug it in with a single cable.

To answer your original question it's unlikely PC tech will abandon PCI express, they have 1.0 then version 2.0 then 3.0 .. .so logically they would just build off that. At this point the GPU market and the PC market is very entrenched in PCI express. The new replacement for Sata3 (called sata express) is basically just PCI express in a sata cable and that tech is hitting the streets as we speak in next generation SSD and motherboards. I don't see PCI express going anywhere anytime soon. It will be around for 5 years or more because nothing is really on the radar to replace it yet. Most of the new tech is actually using PCI express lanes and technology by modify it into a new connection scheme (like instead of the PCI express slot a Sata Express port and cable, or a thunderbolt connection etc.. ).

-

"Too much is almost enough. Anything in life worth doing is worth overdoing. Moderation is for cowards."
post #3244 of 3267 Old 07-08-2014, 11:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 61
Quote:
Seriously...the owner got upset because you installed programs on a PC that you own??? I'm going to shoot you a PM this evening with some interesting info about his company. Be sure to mention some of the items I list the next time he gets upset with you. Be sure to tell Dennis about that as well....I'm sure that Dennis will explain to him that such conduct does not equate to happy customers, and unhappy customers take their money elsewhere. I'm quite surprised by this.
You can send me a PM but I am never dealing with that guy again. I will send you some info via PM as this really is not the place for it.

I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass...and I'm all out of bubblegum .
My System

post #3245 of 3267 Old 07-08-2014, 11:05 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
I am not a DIY guy. When you say I could just drop in a card, I would not know how to do that. I do use Jriver but probably not to its fullest potential. I have no solution . I know my machine isn't the most powerful and to be honest, the owner not a nice guy. I would not know how to add a GPU card(don't even know what that is ). I mean honestly, right now it's all just academic for me since I have such a small room. I just like talking about it. I do know that if I modified the box I am using I could never send it back if needed to be fixed. The owner got all pissy when he saw programs that he did not support. If the day comes when I can step up and really cut loose, I will see what I can do. But for now, TRUHD and DTS-Master audio along with 1080p will have to do.
What machine do you have specifically ?

Almost all modern motherboards have at least one single PCI express slot on them.

There is different kinds (speeds) of them too.

PCI x1, x4, x8 or x16. You can install a x8 or x4 or x1 device into an x16 slot but you can't install a x16 device into an x1 slot (because the x1 slot is smaller). A GPU card requires an x16 slot because GPU cards are very powerful and bandwidth intensive.

When you buy a GPU card like this: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16814121801

You just plug it into the slot. It only fits one way, and it would only fit into a x16 PCI express slot. There is a grove that would prevent it from being installed in something else.

Sometimes that is all you do. With more powerful cards it's common to need to run power to them too. The power connection looks like this:

And again, the pegs are either square or rounded (or a combo of both) so it can only fit in a certain way (the correct way) and it's not possible to plug it in any other way or cause damage.

Adding a gpu card is basically a 5 minute event, with a Phillips screw driver. You need to install one small screw to hold it into the back of your case, and possibly might need the screw driver to open the case up. (a few screws). Once you push the card into the slot, you screw the bracket in place to hold it snug, and then plug in the power cables (if your card needs them). That is all.

Once you fire up your machine you need to install the driver (software) for your GPU card to get optimal results.

Your i3 2100T is a modern CPU and platform so it would accept a GPU card. The reason why you add a GPU card is because the GPU card provide a higher performance graphics which can result in better PQ. That's really the easiest way to say it without getting complicated with 0-255 vs 16-235 greyscale or talking about why specifically this is.

-

"Too much is almost enough. Anything in life worth doing is worth overdoing. Moderation is for cowards."
post #3246 of 3267 Old 07-08-2014, 11:08 AM
AVS Addicted Member

I think I am just realizing you don't have a basic PC machine but rather a customized solution from some place. Ah.. I get it now.

Everything I said is true ^ still. But- usually if they get angry you installed something (software) that just means it makes them harder to support the product in that case so they prefer you leave it the way it is so it's easier to support. I don't think they are "angry" as much as someone might not be able to support the machine if you add or change things about it. Technically they can, but probably don't want the added frustration.

-

post #3247 of 3267 Old 07-08-2014, 11:15 AM
AVS Special Member

This is what I have
http://www.baetisaudio.com/Baetis_HT.php
http://www.baetisaudio.com/Baetis_HT_brochure.pdf
The company doesn't even make it anymore because he was not making enough money on it.
I would not trust myself to do any mods on it anyway.
Posted after your above post. You just about nailed it on every point. Except for the fact that the guy became very rude towards me over the phone and I had to yell back it him to show him that I wasn't a punk to be messed with.

I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass...and I'm all out of bubblegum .
My System

post #3248 of 3267 Old 07-08-2014, 02:46 PM
AVS Addicted Member

PC support is a tough thing, everyone is frustrated and solutions are slow and annoying to pin point.

I feel your pain. (his too.)

That product is nice product. It's nothing but off the shelf parts though. Same parts everyone uses. I'm sure it's brand name popular stuff inside, and very easy to modify or add or upgrade.

The biggest issue is that cute little case, it's hard to fit a GPU card in a small form factor. That would be your biggest hurdle, you might be easier to swap the case if you ever wanted to upgrade GPU. Looks like you only have a half height available, but most proper GPU cards are full height. To me that's a lot of money ($1995) but the value of someone doing the build and support and configuration is low to me, and this is largely a part of the expense with a product like that. For someone not wanting to build themselves it's not unreasonable though.

Looks like a nice little machine you have. Reminds me of some of the stuff StarDog does on the HTPC forum, and a little bit like Assassin does too. Not much to hate about it, and it's just like any other HTPC or PC too. You could make it 4k ready for about $400 with a case swap and GPU card addition.

Something like this : http://www.silverstonetek.com/product.php?pid=330

or this: http://www.silverstonetek.com/produc...rea=en&pid=331

(difference is front flapper openings for BR drive or hidden behind fold up wall for stealth look )

No reason you need to start over, so if you ever wanted to upgrade you could.

The biggest problem right this minute is that 4k support is fully here yet, and if you wanted to do something like a 4K HTPC you really should wait for at least HDMI 2.0 to expect a reasonable longevity to your project. HTPC right now is easy, but 4K HTPC with ATMOS support is still in it's infancy.

None of the current graphics cards supports

- HDMI 2.0 (in particular 4K 60Hz 8bit RGB)
- HDCP 2.2
- HEVC decoding

So even if you buy the best graphics card now (that supports 4K up to 30Hz over HDMI and great SD/HD/FHD->UHD upscaling), you will want to buy another soon.

You also will want 265 support:

Quote:
Originally Posted by renethx View Post
ITU-T calls H.264/H.265, ISO/IEC calls AVC/HEVC. They are the same.

To send 4K contents from a 4K UHD Blu-ray player/4K TV tuner STB/4K streamer, the target (4K TV), as well as a repeater (4k AVR), is required to support HDCP 2.2 (MediaLab). It is not clear how PC is placed in this scenario yet.

-

post #3249 of 3267 Old Yesterday, 08:39 AM
AVS Special Member

I understand what you are saying. For me, someone who was not really comfortable building anything this seemed like a good option. Maybe all HTPC can do this, but the reason I really wanted to get one was because I have animated series that I watch and I have most of them in AVI format. When I saw that this server played back just about all video formats and audio formats I cared for at the time, I said yep, that's the one for me. I know it's expensive and like you say, uses off the shelf parts, but for someone who has zero experience in building PC's, and the fact that Jriver would come installed, well that was worth the price to me.

It's a great little machine. BR's look stunning on it. I posted in my thread about how good Skyfall looked. Plus the high rez audio soundtracks also sound fantastic. Also, music playback is really good. At the time I was vaguely interested in 4k and I knew that this machine could not do it. But in reality, the biggest screen I might go in my room would be 50-55in. Even at that size I would probably notice a difference. What I am interested in is maybe some day getting into the higher end audio soundtracks like ATMOS. I think even with a 5.1 setup, I would probably get an increase in sound quality and although it may take some work, I could probably add some of the height speakers. But my main upgrade would be a slightly bigger TV. I think even running regular 1080p BR going to a 50 or 55in TV would be a nice upgrade over my 42in TV.

But back to the server, I am not sorry I got it. It has plenty of space for external drives and like I said, BR movies look really good. I have a work around for regular DVD's because they looked really bad in Jriver. So now I have configured VLC media player to play back my dvd's in 5.1 so it says Multich on my Integra. I understand what that is and I fine with the results. There are procedures I can do in Jriver(adding a downloaded file) but I don't know how confident I am in my own skills to do it. I may try it at some point.

As I said, I know that what I have is probably kids stuff compared to what you hard core guys have , but right now it works for me. Thanks for thoughts and feedback and Matt, I am sorry I took up your band width my info .

My System

Last edited by MIkeDuke; Yesterday at 09:09 AM.
post #3250 of 3267 Old Yesterday, 09:10 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
I understand what you are saying. For me, someone who was not really comfortable building anything this seemed like a good option. Maybe all HTPC can do this, but the reason I really wanted to get one was because I have animated series that I watch and I have most of them in AVI format. When I saw that this server played back just about all video formats and audio formats I cared for at the time, I said yep, that's the one for me. I know it's expensive and like you say, uses off the shelf parts, but for someone who has zero experience in building PC's, and the fact that Jriver would come installed, well that was worth the price too me.

It's a great little machine. BR's look stunning on it. I posted in my thread about how good Skyfall looked. Plus the high rez audio soundtracks also sound fantastic. Also, music playback is really good. At the time I was vaguely interested in 4k and I knew that this machine could not do it. But in reality, the biggest screen I might go in my room would be 50-55in. Even at that size I would probably notice a difference. What I am interested in is maybe some day getting into the higher end audio soundtracks like ATMOS. I think even with a 5.1 setup, I would probably get an increase in sound quality and although it may take some work, I could probably add some of the height speakers. But my main upgrade would be a slightly bigger TV. I think even running regular 1080p BR going to a 50 or 55in TV would be a nice upgrade over my 42in TV.

But back to the server, I am not sorry I got it. It has plenty of space for external drives and like I said, BR movies look really good. I have a work around for regular DVD's because they looked really bad in Jriver. So now I have configured VLC media player to play back my dvd's in 5.1 so it says Multich on my Integra. I understand what that is and I fine with the results. There are procedures I can do in Jriver(adding a downloaded file) but I don't know how confident I am in my own skills to do it. I may try it at some point.

As I said, I know that what I have is probably kids stuff compared to what you hard core guys have , but right now it works for me. Thanks for thoughts and feedback and Matt, I am sorry I took up your band width my info .
I have no doubt that the Baetis works very well for you! Did you ever manage to rip allllll the Bleach episodes? I know that's a time-consuming task. With my previous beast server, I got so used to ripping four discs at a time using the four blu ray drives--it's funny though--now that I'm using one drive (while I decide on PC configuration, which won't be built until HDMI 2.0 cards are released), I really miss the ability to rip four simultaneously. I'll probably setup a ripping station with seven or eight blu ray drives for mass rips. I don't often buy blu rays, but when I do--it's usually quite a few at a time.
post #3251 of 3267 Old Yesterday, 09:11 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
I understand what you are saying. For me, someone who was not really comfortable building anything this seemed like a good option. Maybe all HTPC can do this, but the reason I really wanted to get one was because I have animated series that I watch and I have most of them in AVI format. When I saw that this server played back just about all video formats and audio formats I cared for at the time, I said yep, that's the one for me. I know it's expensive and like you say, uses off the shelf parts, but for someone who has zero experience in building PC's, and the fact that Jriver would come installed, well that was worth the price too me.
That is basically what I said above. It's a nice machine, even still today right now. No reason to feel you need to justify your decision on it to me. I get it. I really do. Like Matt said above "builder tired of building" there is some value in this approach even if you know how to build PC. So obviously as PC knowledge decreases the value of turn key increases. I am learning this the deeper I go into HTPC. Sometimes I wonder to myself if it's worth all the trouble.

Quote:

I'd be happy to get you or help you get full 7.1 DTS HD or Dolby True. I can walk you through it in a thread in the HTPC section with screen shots, or even remote into the machine and do it for you. Consider it my "pay it forward" for the help I get around here in other stuff. No pressure but when you are ready PM me. Setting up audio on HTPC isn't super easy, but there is a lot of material around that walks you through it. You might want to try a set up guide for one of the other players. Ever checked out Assassin guides ?

Also- it's only a flick of a switch in VLC to get dolby digital. That's literally a 30 second thing so you might want to start there. PM me if you want I'll give you a screen shot how.

-

post #3252 of 3267 Old Yesterday, 09:13 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
I have no doubt that the Baetis works very well for you! Did you ever manage to rip allllll the Bleach episodes? I know that's a time-consuming task. With my previous beast server, I got so used to ripping four discs at a time using the four blu ray drives--it's funny though--now that I'm using one drive (while I decide on PC configuration, which won't be built until HDMI 2.0 cards are released), I really miss the ability to rip four simultaneously. I'll probably setup a ripping station with seven or eight blu ray drives for mass rips. I don't often buy blu rays, but when I do--it's usually quite a few at a time.
I have dual BR drives and it works for mass just fine. Two at a time, by the time you queue up the second the first is almost done. Surf a thread a AVS while you wait You won't get too far before it's done with fast BR drives.

-

post #3253 of 3267 Old Yesterday, 09:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
That is basically what I said above. It's a nice machine, even still today right now. No reason to feel you need to justify your decision on it to me. I get it. I really do. Like Matt said above "builder tired of building" there is some value in this approach even if you know how to build PC. So obviously as PC knowledge decreases the value of turn key increases. I am learning this the deeper I go into HTPC. Sometimes I wonder to myself if it's worth all the trouble.

I'd be happy to get you or help you get full 7.1 DTS HD or Dolby True. I can walk you through it in a thread in the HTPC section with screen shots, or even remote into the machine and do it for you. Consider it my "pay it forward" for the help I get around here in other stuff. No pressure but when you are ready PM me. Setting up audio on HTPC isn't super easy, but there is a lot of material around that walks you through it. You might want to try a set up guide for one of the other players. Ever checked out Assassin guides ?

Also- it's only a flick of a switch in VLC to get dolby digital. That's literally a 30 second thing so you might want to start there. PM me if you want I'll give you a screen shot how.
Thanks for the help. I don't think I need to justify but I do like to explain my thought process when I buy something like this. Right now I am using MKV so I do get full DTS-MA and TRUHD, albeit in 5.1 format. I just would have to work to get 7.1. I would need new speakers and a new amp to power them. Not sure if that is going to happen though. When I meant getting the audio, I meant the ATMOS audio that may be on some standard BR's that's all. And I thought that VLC did not let you do that. I will send you a PM and if you can send me those instructions it would be great. Because trust me, I have looked pretty hard to find them . And again, I appreciate all the help I get from here from everybody.

My System

Last edited by MIkeDuke; Yesterday at 09:33 AM.
post #3254 of 3267 Old Yesterday, 10:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
I have dual BR drives and it works for mass just fine. Two at a time, by the time you queue up the second the first is almost done. Surf a thread a AVS while you wait You won't get too far before it's done with fast BR drives.
See, that's something I can never do. I will always be doing one disk at a time. Which is OK. It does not take that long to rip and then copy the movie. But for Bleach it would not have worked. Those were individual files that I had copy and re-name so Jriver would recognize them. But I got it done. Al 366 of them. So yea Matt, I was able to finish that.

My System

post #3255 of 3267 Old Yesterday, 10:36 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Continued from PM because for some reason no pictures uploaded in PM anymore

You can choose SPFID output from VLC:

First open VLC and play a movie. Then right click on screen and navigate to audio tab->Audio Device->Choose HDMI

And cropped for easier:

Try this and see if you can get DTS or Dolby Digital lit up on your AVR. Make sure you use a video file with those encodings (at least DTS or DD 5.1 )

Quote:
Thanks for the help. I don't think I need to justify but I do like to explain my thought process when I buy something like this. Right now I am using MKV so I do get full DTS-MA and TRUHD, albeit in 5.1 format. I just would have to work to get 7.1. I would need new speakers and a new amp to power them. Not sure if that is going to happen though. When I meant getting the audio, I meant the ATMOS audio that may be on some standard BR's that's all. And I thought that VLC did not let you do that. I will send you a PM and if you can send me those instructions it would be great. Because trust me, I have looked pretty hard to find them . And again, I appreciate all the help I get from here from everybody.
VLC is a great player for it's simplicity, and it plays just about anything too. But it's not great choice for high end DTS-HD and Dolby TRUEhd files in 7.1 because it only reads the "core" (DTS or DD) and not the full HD audio tracks. Jriver would be a better option to play those back, or something like XBMC or Mediabrowser Theater. If you use WMC you would want to install a codec pack like SHARK007 (which also makes normal Windows Media Player pretty awesome). The best stand alone video player in my opinion is Media Player Center Home Classic (MPC-HC for short). It's older- but very mature and very capable.

MPC-HC with MadVR is the best PQ I've ever seen or tested myself. The player itself is excellent, and rather simple. But set up has a small learning curve if you want to trick it out. There is a really good sticky if you ever get brave and want to try it: Advanced MPC-HC Setup Guide It has screen shots and pictures and step by step. It takes a cup of coffee and some patience and you need to be in the mood if you are not naturally a PC person but you will be rewarded with a most excellent player. It's so good that a lot of the people using WMC or XBMC or PLEX will actually set it to be used as an external player because the quality is superior to those solutions. It's better than VLC.

Quote:
See, that's something I can never do. I will always be doing one disk at a time. Which is OK. It does not take that long to rip and then copy the movie. But for Bleach it would not have worked. Those were individual files that I had copy and re-name so Jriver would recognize them. But I got it done. Al 366 of them. So yea Matt, I was able to finish that.
The very best media manager program that includes metadata fetching, support Jriver style metadata, and also has automated renaming is Media Center Master.

The program is very awesome and very powerful. It's easy to use considering how much functionality it has too.

http://forums.mediacentermaster.com/...php?f=2&t=8897

It can rename your files perfectly, adding they year they are made, the resolutions and all that. It will fetch art, metadata, backdrops, etc... and it will even support Jriver sidecar files so it works in Jriver. You can set it to store XBMC or Mediabrowser style also so incase you ever changed front ends, or run multiple your library would be set up for it all. You can run Jriver and also run XBMC and also run PLEX and also run MB3 all on the same machine without any troubles.

Next time you have a video file you rip or download put it into a folder, point MCM program to that folder and give it a shot. You will be impressed.

-

post #3256 of 3267 Old Yesterday, 11:00 AM
AVS Special Member

I only need the VLC player to play back standard dvd's. So it's just going to be plain Dolby Digital and DTS. I don't thing decoding on "the core" will come into play. I also don't want to confuse myself with another media player . I am pretty confident in getting around Jriver now and I REALLY don't want to have to learn something else. That's just me though. To be honest, I am not that brave to go super overboard. And I am quite satisfied with how Jriver play backs BR's and even how VLC plays DVD rips. I was really surprised how good Open Range looked and sounded.
P.S, the one picture you tried to show in this post did not come out at all. But I will still give it a shot.

My System

post #3257 of 3267 Old Yesterday, 06:02 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mike, if you have screen-sharing capability, I'll do the file drop for you. Jriver really is a one-stop shop once completely configured.
post #3258 of 3267 Old Yesterday, 08:12 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Use splashtop, it's better than team viewer IMO.

-

post #3259 of 3267 Old Today, 08:23 AM
AVS Special Member

On the Jriver forum someone gave me some instructions to follow that seem to do the trick
If you're having difficulty with DVD playback, try this:

If you have never used Red October HQ before, set Media Center to use it (Tools → Options → Video) and play a video. This should download the required components automatically.
Close Media Center and Media Server if it's running.
Copy and paste this into the Windows Run prompt (WIN+R) %APPDATA%\J River\Media Center 19\Plugins\madvr
Run the restore default settings.bat file in that folder.
Download the zip file which is attached to this post, and place the settings.bin file it contains inside that folder.
Run Media Center and go to Tools → Options → Video
If it is not already, set video mode to "Red October HQ"
Enable both "Hardware accelerate video decoding" and "VideoClock"
So I have the file and I am going to try and do that.
I do have screen sharing capabilities by the way. It's what I used when I contacted the guy at Baetis.
I am going to be brave and try it. For me, the only difference is that it would be \Media Center 18.
Wish me luck .

My System

post #3260 of 3267 Old Today, 09:12 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Sold the 600 ES guys...now, I'm hoping for either the 700ES or a high-brightness DPI M-Vision model if they adopt HDMI 2.0.
post #3261 of 3267 Old Today, 09:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Is there a 700 series or are just assuming they will come out with one. What ever projector you get, I am sure it will great on that screen and match your audio very nicely.

My System

post #3262 of 3267 Old Today, 12:57 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
On the Jriver forum someone gave me some instructions to follow that seem to do the trick
If you're having difficulty with DVD playback, try this:

If you have never used Red October HQ before, set Media Center to use it (Tools → Options → Video) and play a video. This should download the required components automatically.
Close Media Center and Media Server if it's running.
Copy and paste this into the Windows Run prompt (WIN+R) %APPDATA%\J River\Media Center 19\Plugins\madvr
Run the restore default settings.bat file in that folder.
Download the zip file which is attached to this post, and place the settings.bin file it contains inside that folder.
Run Media Center and go to Tools → Options → Video
If it is not already, set video mode to "Red October HQ"
Enable both "Hardware accelerate video decoding" and "VideoClock"
So I have the file and I am going to try and do that.
I do have screen sharing capabilities by the way. It's what I used when I contacted the guy at Baetis.
I am going to be brave and try it. For me, the only difference is that it would be \Media Center 18.
Wish me luck .

Videoclock is just "reclock" but renamed for Jriver. If you use reclock it "breaks" your bitstreaming of audio so you need to decode locally. You can copy and paste the dtsdecoderdll. dll file and use DTS-HD as a work around too. If you bitstream, and you don't have otherwise choppy audio playback or out of sync audio then you probably would want to skip reclock or "videoclock" or whatever name they want to give it.

-

post #3263 of 3267 Old Today, 01:03 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I gotta ask you guys to continue this discussion on Mike's thread. It is very helpful, but it's a long one, ya know? I'll be reading :-)

Edit: please do not delete the posts...they are very informative add I'll be referring to them for weeks.

Last edited by BrolicBeast; Today at 01:13 PM.
post #3264 of 3267 Old Today, 01:09 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Is there a 700 series or are just assuming they will come out with one. What ever projector you get, I am sure it will great on that screen and match your audio very nicely.
The 700 is definitely just assumed (hoped? ) Nothing confirmed, unfortunately.

I'm almost finished getting the official layout done by Acoustic Frontiers. This design process is a very enjoyable one! I'll be posting the new "official" layout soon!
post #3265 of 3267 Old Today, 01:35 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
The 700 is definitely just assumed (hoped? ) Nothing confirmed, unfortunately.

I'm almost finished getting the official layout done by Acoustic Frontiers. This design process is a very enjoyable one! I'll be posting the new "official" layout soon!
I can't wait to check it out! When is Jeff coming back ?

-

post #3266 of 3267 Old Today, 02:56 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
I can't wait to check it out! When is Jeff coming back ?
As soon as the layout is finalized so we can start framing! I'm going to try to fit framing and drywall in the same week. Likely? Probably not. But a man can hope***a glimmer of hope flashes across Brolic's deep brown eyes as he stares skyward, wishing...waiting...***
post #3267 of 3267 Old Today, 03:12 PM
AVS Addicted Member

If you were closer I'd come help. That's stuff is fun for me.

Dry wall and framing in one week for DIY is aggressive time table. You'll be tired and sore if you achieve it. Unless you have a team helping you that doesn't need a lot of direction. To dry wall a few layers yourself is a lot of work in that size space, even without windows and other stuff to go around.

If Jeff helping with the drywall ? Just you two ?

-

Reply What's Your System Configuration

Tags
Emotiva Xpr 1 , Marantz Av8801 , Jvc Dla Rs66 , Cambridge Audio Azur Dacmagic 100 Silver , Oppo Bdp 105 Blu Ray Player , Panamax M5300 Pm 11 Outlet Clean Power Level 4 Black
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page