AVS Forum banner
220K views 3K replies 136 participants last post by  Franin 
#1 ·
*** NEW THEATER UNDER CONSTRUCTION .*** Please bear with me as I amass new theater equipment over the next few months.

--Speakers

Triad InRoom Platinum LCR Speaker System

--Source Components--

Custom HTPC

--Preamplifier/Processor--

Theta Casablanca IV

--Amplification--

Emotiva XPR-1 Monoblock amplifiers (1750wpc into 4 Ohms)

***********************************************************************************************************************
THE BELOW THEATER IS BEING PHASED OUT AS THE NEW THEATER COMES TO FRUITION IN A NEW HOUSE.

The Theater

Front View

Screen Wall w/ GIK 242 Acoustic Panels

Side View

Bass Traps (GIK 244)

JVC DLA-RS56 3D Projector

Marantz 8801 A/V Processor

Emotiva XPR-1

Oppo BDP-105

Wireworld Chroma 6 Flat HDMI Cables & Audioquest Diamondback XLR Cables

Emotiva Speaker Cables

Cambridge Audio DacMagic

VIDEO: BrolicBeast Theater Update

Display:

JVC DLA-RS56

Screen:

Stewart Filmscreens - Studiotek 130 G3 (120-inch diagonal)

Audio Processor/Power Amplifiers:

Marantz 8801

Emotiva XPR-1 Monoblocks (3x)

Emotiva XPA-200 

Behringer iNuke1000DSP (For bass shakers)

Video Processors

Lumagen Radiance Mini 3D

Darbee DVP 5000 (Darblet)

Source Components:

Oppo BDP-105 Universal Disc Player

Apple TV

Dish Network DVR-VIP 622

Microsoft Xbox 360 (Slim)

Sony PS3

Cambridge Audio DacMagic

Sonos Digital Music System

Dell XPS 730x-H2O

Home Theater Seating:

Coaster Pavilion 3-Seat Row (Curved)

Speakers:

Legacy Focus SE (LR)

Legacy Marquis HD (C)

Infinity Primus 360 (SL & SR)

Crowson Tactile Transducers

Power Conditioning:

Panamax M5300 Power Conditioner (2)

Power Cabling:

PS Audio PerfectWave AC5 Power Cable

PS Audio PerfectWave AC3 Power Cable

Interconnects:

Better Cables: Silver Serpent Balanced (XLR) Interconnects

Audioquest: Diamondback Balanced (XLR) Interconnects

Audioquest: Black Mamba II

HDMI Cabling

Wire World Chroma 6 HDMI Cables (4)

Audioquest Cinnamon HDMI Cable

Emotiva X-Series HDMI Cable

See less See more
#2,702 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrolicBeast  /t/1316583/brolicbeasts-living-room-theater/2680_40#post_23909917

I definitely agree that all amps are not made the same, although I think much of the sound we hear is more a factor of the pre-amp and speakers, and less a factor of the amplifier(s).  I auditioned tons of amps in 2012 when I was on my speaker-audition quest.  Some big names, some obscure--I heard differences, but none were night and day for me, and no amp dropped my jaw in meaningful ways.  Because of this, I took a gamble on the XPR-1's (since the XPA-5 had impressed me quite a bit) and thankfully, the gamble paid off and this amp did drop my jaw in a number of ways.

Congrats on the new young lady in your life Al!!!  i'm happy to hear you've added a second member to your household! Man, we're already planning names and stuff over here for when we start our family.  Be sure to put the remote in her hand at an early age.  This way, the man she marries will always have a 100% WAF 

As the Good Book says: Train up a child in the way he should go, and when he is old, he shall not depart from it...

Almost! its, "may not depart' remember Samson

#2,703 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by audiofan1  /t/1316583/brolicbeasts-living-room-theater/2700#post_23910229

Almost! its, "may not depart' remember Samson
So true, so true--I oft-times wonder what course history would have trodden, had Samson done what he was supposed to do...

#2,704 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by mankite  /t/1316583/brolicbeasts-living-room-theater/2670#post_23909315

When I spent time with the Anthem P5 amp vs the BAT VK-6200 while demoing a full Aerial system it was night and day difference. The P5 had more power but the BAT eliminated all sibilance and controlled the midrange to the point that the P5 sounded muddy in comparison. Power output is not the only thing that's important when settling on an amp. Dmark1 can comment on this as the EAD amps are among the best I've ever heard.

LOL! Yes, I agree the EAD amps are some of the best I've ever heard as well, which is why I own a 7 channel EAD TheaterMaster 7300. :) The only amp I've heard in my system that beat it were CODA TM Monoblocks (800W at 8ohms, Class A/B, first 10W Class A). The mids and highs were virtually identical, but the CODA just grabbed hold of the bass woofers like no other, and would not let go! Incredible bass control. But, the CODA TMs are $6,000 each! :-(

I'm sure the BAT VK-6200 and the SimAudio Titan are fantastic as well, but I haven't heard either of them in my system to comment on them.

Matt seems happy with Emotiva XPR-1s, which I agree are a great value. I haven't heard them either. But I figure if Matt likes them, he should stick with them, even if they are a couple hundred dollars more than before. Are there better sounding amps out there? Probably, but they would likely cost a lot more money for an incremental gain, IMHO.

#2,706 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by aldiallo  /t/1316583/brolicbeasts-living-room-theater/2600_100#post_23909539

Hey Matt,

Been busy, I'm a daddy for the second time since September so was quite busy before getting everything ready and quitte busy now now that she's here which has left me with almost no time to play with my system, but trsut me I can't wait to get my foot of the brakes!!
too man movies on hold aiting to be seen!!
but I'm a very Happy (Oh God, babies are time and energy consumming machines, especially when it's a girl( hey no disrespect for the ladies, jsut speaking the truth here) )

Congrats man! Babies are the best upgrade out there. Speakers, amps, tvs, etc. all pale in comparison.

Reactions: audiofan1
#2,707 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrolicBeast  /t/1316583/brolicbeasts-living-room-theater/2670#post_23909292

Quote:

Quote:

All,

This is good advice that I really appreciate.  You’re right…if it costs a few extra hundred, given the investment in the rest of the system,  would it really matter?  The answer is absolutely not.  These XPR-1’s are the best amps I’ve ever heard, and completely eliminates the “what if I had more power” upgrade impetus completely.  I will suck it up, hold off on a couple of expensive interconnect upgrades I was planning for, as its clear where those funds should be going.  The goal is seven XPR-1 monoblocks (I’ll need a side-by-side rack configuration).  Some think that nobody can use all that power, but I’ve personally used at least 13,500 watts at peak reference volumes in my smallish room, so I know that in the next, larger room, peaks will demand all that the XPR-1’s have to offer, that lower-powered amps simply can’t offer. 

On the other hand, I sometimes play my system in a small room at not quite half volume, with the output to the speakers around only 5 watts; much louder and I couldn't stay in here. Believe me, 42% volume is plenty loud here, depending upon the recording.

But, I don't have a multichannel setup and my amps are very efficient. They will do peaks of 1,000W (there's a 2,000W setting on the meters; I'd hate to be too close to that!). I also don't have the speaker setup you have, so all things considered, the power you have is quite helpful to achieve the desired effect, whether or not it's necessary in absolute terms. Just be careful of the hearing.

#2,708 ·
I have heard lower powered amps then mine, and I discovered that power ratings aren't everything, although I won't deny that they are important. I have not heard the Emo amps that Matt has but I am sure they are killer. The lower power amps I have heard are Jeff Rowland, Bat, Dartzeel Audio Research and a bunch of tube companies I just can't remember right now. They were all lower power then my Bryston's are but I felt nothing was lacking with them. I think that my Bryston amps are work horses though. Some people may think they are not as silky as other amps and they are not. But in my system they aren't in your face either. If Matt likes the Emo amps then I think he should stick with them and just be happy. Almost everything goes up at some point. But having 5 of those big mono blocks for the main part of the system, then a capable multichannel amp for the rest would be quite the setup. If that's the route he wants to go. Me, who knows. We shall see.

#2,709 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrolicBeast  /t/1316583/brolicbeasts-living-room-theater/2700#post_23909917

I definitely agree that all amps are not made the same, although I think much of the sound we hear is more a factor of the pre-amp and speakers, and less a factor of the amplifier(s).  I auditioned tons of amps in 2012 when I was on my speaker-audition quest.  Some big names, some obscure--I heard differences, but none were night and day for me, and no amp dropped my jaw in meaningful ways.  Because of this, I took a gamble on the XPR-1's (since the XPA-5 had impressed me quite a bit) and thankfully, the gamble paid off and this amp did drop my jaw in a number of ways.

Congrats on the new young lady in your life Al!!!  i'm happy to hear you've added a second member to your household! Man, we're already planning names and stuff over here for when we start our family.  Be sure to put the remote in her hand at an early age.  This way, the man she marries will always have a 100% WAF 

As the Good Book says: Train up a child in the way he should go, and when he is old, he shall not depart from it...

Matt,

She'll definitely become a HT Padawan liek her brother before her and she'll master the HT Force once grown up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcweber111  /t/1316583/brolicbeasts-living-room-theater/2700#post_23910813

Congrats man! Babies are the best upgrade out there. Speakers, amps, tvs, etc. all pale in comparison.

Thanks man! definitely, there's n amp out there that can sing like baby!!

#2,710 ·

Just to be clear guys, I'm absolutely aware that an amplifier's quality is not measured by its power output; however, given the exponential increase in power demands that accompanies increases in db output, having more power on tap is a good thing.  This was best described in the Audioholics review of the XPR-1 as (if I remember correctly) a better portrayal of what surrounds a particular sound.  For instance, the full crack of a gunshot, and the following decay.  But, that being said, after hearing multiple amps last year, the XPR-1's equal or surpass the best that I've heard.  I don't really consider them "value amps," (although an increase in price, by definition, decreases value proposition)--if I wanted to explore more expensive amps, I would have skipped the Theta Casablanca and purchased a set of Classe monoblocks instead. My opinion is that the Pre/Pro is where most of the sound characteristics exist.  Perhaps I can blame the uber-revealing nature of my recent speakers, but after getting the Legacy Focus SE's, within months, I began to feel that I had maxed out all the sound quality that my 8801 had to offer.  It still sounded great, but I needed to take it to the next level with analog volume control, uber-quality DACs, among other additional features.

I've heard some amazing low power amps for music, and in all honesty, if I were building a music-only system, I'd get a low power 30wpc tube monoblock amplifier pair because I love the warmth that tube amplifiers offer with my preferred music.  Ah--let me explain!!!  My preferred music is ballad-style female vocals, which largely benefit from warm amplifiers. I definitely don't listen to music at reference volume (only movies), so I wouldn't need anything NEAR the XPR-1 power output for a music-only system!  Back when I was planning for the secondary music room (now a pipe dream as wedding costs have inreased exponentially), I was actually strongly considering getting a Pass Labs tube amp for the music room.

Makes me wish my theater was 'together"--I'd love to host an amplifier shoot-out. Well, if anybody with a functional theater ever has one on the eastern seaboard, count me in!!!

#2,711 ·
That's all good Matt
. I enjoy the sound of tube amps as well. If I had a music only system, I would be looking at them for my amps. Also, what you say about dynamics is important as well. If you need that realism, you need the speakers and the amps to give it to you. I am sure that the XPR-1's a very good sounding amps. If they do what you need them to do, then you should stick with them. If not, who knows how much you will have to spend to "beat" what you had with the XPR-1's. With those super sensitive Triad speakers, an amp like that would be great for driving them to room shaking levels. I look forward to more updates.

BTW, my personal list of my favorite amps is as follows: DartZeel, BAT, Audio Research, Pathos, Bryston, Pass Labs, C.A.T, Jeff Rowland. Those are ones I really liked and all the ones that are not Bryston, I would love to have in my system. But, for one reason or another, most of those will probably not be an option so I may be with Bryston for a while. Lucky for me, I think the synergy between the Focal's and Bryston is pretty solid. Good luck in your search.

#2,712 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by MIkeDuke  /t/1316583/brolicbeasts-living-room-theater/2700#post_23913019

That's all good Matt
. I enjoy the sound of tube amps as well. If I had a music only system, I would be looking at them for my amps. Also, what you say about dynamics is important as well. If you need that realism, you need the speakers and the amps to give it to you. I am sure that the XPR-1's a very good sounding amps. If they do what you need them to do, then you should stick with them. If not, who knows how much you will have to spend to "beat" what you had with the XPR-1's. With those super sensitive Triad speakers, an amp like that would be great for driving them to room shaking levels. I look forward to more updates.

BTW, my personal list of my favorite amps is as follows: DartZeel, BAT, Audio Research, Pathos, Bryston, Pass Labs, C.A.T, Jeff Rowland. Those are ones I really liked and all the ones that are not Bryston, I would love to have in my system. But, for one reason or another, most of those will probably not be an option so I may be with Bryston for a while. Lucky for me, I think the synergy between the Focal's and Bryston is pretty solid. Good luck in your search.

Yeah man, tubes are nice for music!  Man, you've heard Dartzeel?  Those amps are expensive!  As in "build a log cabin in the woods for the same money" expensive! lol....does the sound quality match their price tag?  I've been hearing a lot about CAT amps lately--I'd love to hear some man.....I think they are owned by ATI, who also owns Theta.  their speakers are through-the-roof solid and, from a youtube video I saw a while back, the woofers they put in their speakers are so rigid and durable, an adult male can stand on them without damaging them.  If i did ever change amps, or end up building a high-performance two channel room, I might go for CAT amps (if I could EVERRRR afford them down the line)

#2,713 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrolicBeast  /t/1316583/brolicbeasts-living-room-theater/2700#post_23913074

Yeah man, tubes are nice for music!  Man, you've heard Dartzeel?  Those amps are expensive!  As in "build a log cabin in the woods for the same money" expensive! lol....does the sound quality match their price tag?  I've been hearing a lot about CAT amps lately--I'd love to hear some man.....I think they are owned by ATI, who also owns Theta.  their speakers are through-the-roof solid and, from a youtube video I saw a while back, the woofers they put in their speakers are so rigid and durable, an adult male can stand on them without damaging them.  If i did ever change amps, or end up building a high-performance two channel room, I might go for CAT amps (if I could EVERRRR afford them down the line)
I heard the DartZeel in my room with my old 927's. It was quite the experience. It made my speakers do things I did not think they could do. But yes, they are really expensive. But it is one of the best amps I have ever listened to.

You are thinking about the company California Audio Technology. http://www.calaudiotech.com/ . Those are really high end complete systems that can cost millions of dollars. I have never heard them. I am not sure, but I don't think they are owned by ATI. They do extremely high end custom systems and according to the owner, make just about anything. Although their owner seems a bit arrogant to me. But I still think they are their own self contained shop. I was talking about these guys Convergent Audio Technology. They really don't have an established website but if you search on them, you will find reviews on their amps and preamps. Really expensive but really good stuff. I heard them at CES and it was just an amazing room.

#2,714 ·
Yeah if you're considering CAT speakers and systems you've confirmed you're loaded as they don't mess around with anything less than the high high end. I've been fortunate enough to hear their systems before and true to word they produce some amazing systems. Then again if you're a millionaire or higher theirs is the kind of craftmanship you should expect.

#2,715 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by MIkeDuke  /t/1316583/brolicbeasts-living-room-theater/2700#post_23913128

I heard the DartZeel in my room with my old 927's. It was quite the experience. It made my speakers do things I did not think they could do. But yes, they are really expensive. But it is one of the best amps I have ever listened to.

You are thinking about the company California Audio Technology. http://www.calaudiotech.com/ . Those are really high end complete systems that can cost millions of dollars. I have never heard them. I am not sure, but I don't think they are owned by ATI. They do extremely high end custom systems and according to the owner, make just about anything. Although their owner seems a bit arrogant to me. But I still think they are their own self contained shop. I was talking about these guys Convergent Audio Technology. They really don't have an established website but if you search on them, you will find reviews on their amps and preamps. Really expensive but really good stuff. I heard them at CES and it was just an amazing room.
Ah, thanks for c.a.tification clarification!!  I really need to get to CES and CEDIA to get what all the buzz is about and to listen to the products of these companies that I could never dream of affording.  I have an underlying fear that these shows will make me want to upgrade though...(to all those snickering he's gonna upgrade anyway, I can hear you!!!
).

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcweber111  /t/1316583/brolicbeasts-living-room-theater/2700#post_23913245

Yeah if you're considering CAT speakers and systems you've confirmed you're loaded as they don't mess around with anything less than the high high end. I've been fortunate enough to hear their systems before and true to word they produce some amazing systems. Then again if you're a millionaire or higher theirs is the kind of craftmanship you should expect.

Dude, you have got to be AVS' MVP....look at your "Thumbs Up" count!!!

If we have any wealthy CAT owners out there, how about you donate ten thousand dollars for every "thumbs up" that pcweber has.  I could retire on that

#2,718 ·
Thanks Wilfred, they had a pre-sale going om too, but it'll be over by the time I'm ready to buy.

#2,719 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrolicBeast  /t/1316583/brolicbeasts-living-room-theater/2700_100#post_23914243

Dude, you have got to be AVS' MVP....look at your "Thumbs Up" count!!!

If we have any wealthy CAT owners out there, how about you donate ten thousand dollars for every "thumbs up" that pcweber has.  I could retire on that

Donate to me, right?

I guess I'm an agreeable kinda guy lol.

#2,720 ·

The more I look at my speakers and amps, the more I ask myself if I really want to hide them behind an AT screen...

#2,721 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrolicBeast  /t/1316583/brolicbeasts-living-room-theater/2700#post_23924098

The more I look at my speakers and amps, the more I ask myself if I really want to hide them behind an AT screen...

I would love to have ALL of my gear hidden, only the screen to be visible, is my wish anyway.

#2,722 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by mankite  /t/1316583/brolicbeasts-living-room-theater/2700#post_23910641

Wish I still had the Plats just so I could take them to the meet. Its about time the Plats got their due and proper.

Yes, please someone bring them by! The plats have been in high demand and would complete an otherwise killer lineup. Perhaps in a blind session they would stray some loyal JTR/Seaton/Danley owners??

Also - For anyone interested I'm in the process of building some higher-end amplifier switching gear (2500RMS/channel capability) to make for quick, safe and easy comparisons between amps. I've been comparing setups at my place over the last few months from receivers to high end and from 100-2500WPC. Look for another event in the future to compare some different gear.

#2,723 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoff4RFC  /t/1316583/brolicbeasts-living-room-theater/2700#post_23924264

I would love to have ALL of my gear hidden, only the screen to be visible, is my wish anyway.
Yeah, that's the route I'm taking--but sometimes I get awestruck by the visual majesty of the speakers, and wonder how I can keep them visible.  The truth is--the home theater experience will be vastly improved by having the speakers behind the AT screen, relating more closely to the image on the screen.  This is the only way to do it.

#2,724 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gorilla83  /t/1316583/brolicbeasts-living-room-theater/2700#post_23926080

Also - For anyone interested I'm in the process of building some higher-end amplifier switching gear (2500RMS/channel capability) to make for quick, safe and easy comparisons between amps. I've been comparing setups at my place over the last few months from receivers to high end and from 100-2500WPC. Look for another event in the future to compare some different gear.

That sounds awesome!

#2,725 ·

I convinced the builder to leave the basement unfinished, so I can craft this baby to my heart's content.
I'm thinking, theater-style lobby outside of the theater with the glass candy stand, as well as an actual ticket booth. the theater carpet will, of course, extend out into the lobby area, and I can actually use some game systems to great an arcade in an adjacent 27x11 room. I'm now going for the WHOLE theater experience here, before and after the movie!

The ideas are churning at 100 miles per hour.

#2,726 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrolicBeast  /t/1316583/brolicbeasts-living-room-theater/2700#post_23926116

Yeah, that's the route I'm taking--but sometimes I get awestruck by the visual majesty of the speakers, and wonder how I can keep them visible.  The truth is--the home theater experience will be vastly improved by having the speakers behind the AT screen, relating more closely to the image on the screen.  This is the only way to do it.

Yeah, I can relate to that, when you appreciate the look of your set up, it's difficult to hide it.

I got my second XPA-2, now running them as mono blocks. You can take a look in my thread.....oh my gosh, the mains sound like they're exploding then the test tone goes through them

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.