BrolicBeast's Living Room Theater - Page 110 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #3271 of 3296 Old 07-16-2014, 05:45 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 93 Post(s)
Liked: 281
Ladies and gentlemen, after much planning, discussion, and research, I give thee:

Layout for The Beast, Unleashed - Dolby Atmos Theater:

Bass Model of Room:

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3272 of 3296 Old 07-18-2014, 06:45 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked: 179
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrolicBeast View Post
Ladies and gentlemen, after much planning, discussion, and research, I give thee:

Layout for The Beast, Unleashed - Dolby Atmos Theater:

Bass Model of Room:

Thats awesome brolic cool to see you heading towards the Atmos era. Im doing the same. Due to my room size I'm going 4 heights instead of 6
RVCJJ3J likes this.

Frank

post #3273 of 3296 Old 07-18-2014, 07:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked: 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by Franin View Post
Thats awesome brolic cool to see you heading towards the Atmos era. Im doing the same. Due to my room size I'm going 4 heights instead of 6
Oh come on now Frank. That's just not fair that you are doing Atmos as well . While all us small room guys are stuck with 5.1 and no real way of doing it. I kid of course. Since I know longer see a link to your set up I hope it's OK if I ask here, but what speakers are you using for the 4 heights?

I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass...and I'm all out of bubblegum .
My System

post #3274 of 3296 Old 07-18-2014, 07:20 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MIkeDuke View Post
Oh come on now Frank. That's just not fair that you are doing Atmos as well . While all us small room guys are stuck with 5.1 and no real way of doing it. I kid of course. Since I know longer see a link to your set up I hope it's OK if I ask here, but what speakers are you using for the 4 heights?
Hey Mike, I haven't really thought of the speakers as of yet. I will wait until I get my pre amp first. My theatre is going through a change at the moment, it won't be as extravagant as brolic's ( due to my room size ) but the good thing its able to cater for ceiling speakers.
Actually dolby atoms has come out with its own speakers if you can't do ceiling speakers for the rears which I read works quite well.

Frank

post #3275 of 3296 Old 07-18-2014, 07:26 AM
AVS Special Member

I don't want to take up Matt's thread with our banter about Atmos. Keep me posted in my thread about your theater and let me know when you have a link up to it. If you mean the Pioneer speakers, I am not to keen on them. If you mean that Dolby themselves came out with speakers, you can post a link in my thread just so I can take a look. But Matt's room is going to be EPIC and I hope to experience it one day.

I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass...and I'm all out of bubblegum .
My System

post #3276 of 3296 Old 07-18-2014, 07:35 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
I don't want to take up Matt's thread with our banter about Atmos. Keep me posted in my thread about your theater and let me know when you have a link up to it. If you mean the Pioneer speakers, I am not to keen on them. If you mean that Dolby themselves came out with speakers, you can post a link in my thread just so I can take a look. But Matt's room is going to be EPIC and I hope to experience it one day.
No problems and your right Brolics theatre will definitely be EPIC
post #3277 of 3296 Old 07-18-2014, 09:19 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Frank!! You're doing ATMOS too? Man, you're room is large! Your atmos experience will be outstanding. I'm sure that you're sitting tight, watching the PreAmp news, waiting for a proper Atmos pre/pro to be released. I'm thinking the 8802 being released later this year might suffice at first, but it tops out at 13 channels, so I dunno for sure.
post #3278 of 3296 Old 07-18-2014, 04:07 PM

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 82
I think at this point in the game, it's time for Brolic to abandon the "home theater" processor and go with pro-cinema gear.
You want Atmos, you should be talking about the CP850 not Onkyo, Marantz, etc.. I can't imagine the amount of money that is being poured into this "Beast" of a theater (pun accidentally intended).. Go pro cinema man.. your future kids can go to college online...
post #3279 of 3296 Old 07-18-2014, 10:21 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Frank!! You're doing ATMOS too? Man, you're room is large! Your atmos experience will be outstanding. I'm sure that you're sitting tight, watching the PreAmp news, waiting for a proper Atmos pre/pro to be released. I'm thinking the 8802 being released later this year might suffice at first, but it tops out at 13 channels, so I dunno for sure.
It's not that large like you I'm keeping an eye on what's coming out in the pre amp world regarding atmos. For me the 8802 will suffice as it will cater for all my speakers. You might have too look at a datasat due to the amount of speakers you might need to cater for.
post #3280 of 3296 Old Yesterday, 08:05 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
It's not that large like you I'm keeping an eye on what's coming out in the pre amp world regarding atmos. For me the 8802 will suffice as it will cater for all my speakers. You might have too look at a datasat due to the amount of speakers you might need to cater for.
Any pics so far? We won't tell anybody....we can keep a secret! Lol #PeerPressure

It would be great if two 8802's could be linked together...
post #3281 of 3296 Old Yesterday, 09:36 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Any pics so far? We won't tell anybody....we can keep a secret! Lol #PeerPressure

It would be great if two 8802's could be linked together...
Lol it's nothing special I'm waiting for the guy to help me to come back from holidays.

What processor are you going for?
post #3282 of 3296 Old Yesterday, 10:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Lol it's nothing special I'm waiting for the guy to help me to come back from holidays.

What processor are you going for?
I may be wrong, but I think, at least the last I heard, Matt is not doing a "processor". He is going full out with a media server as his one and only front end.

My System

post #3283 of 3296 Old Yesterday, 10:34 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked: 654
Quote:
I may be wrong, but I think, at least the last I heard, Matt is not doing a "processor". He is going full out with a media server as his one and only front end.
This seems like a glutton for punishment I'd be scared of the tweaking and errors. Keeping a processor like AVR/preamp makes it simple. Nothing wrong with a media server but a media server should serve media IMO and a processor should process. An HDMI feed is all you need to connect something to a processor (or HDMI 2.0) so there isn't much benefit in combining them .

Ideally he wants:

Media Server
Audiophile/Videophile HTPC
Surround Processor and receiver/component selector/Zone controller etc...

If using amps he won't need an AVR with amp channels, so perhaps a preamp version with balanced inputs/outputs and of coarse ATMOS.

I'd think the best thing would be balanced preouts to a MINI DSP (2 in 4 out or 8 out) and then hit all the sub amps from there. That way you could easily tweak settings from server for phase, crossover, EQ, etc.... for each sub individually. On screen with real live changes is a cool too.... Turning knobs on subs is noob.

-

"Too much is almost enough. Anything in life worth doing is worth overdoing. Moderation is for cowards."
post #3284 of 3296 Old Yesterday, 10:47 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Oh I'm definitely taking the processor route. I love JRiver, but I'm not trusted a closely calculated Atmos system to any PC for processing. PC's crash more frequently than I'd like to admit.

Definitely taking it up a few levels from a minidsp. QSC core250 will be the DSP used for all 23 channels (17 speakers and 6 subs). It's a monstrous DSP.
Mfusick likes this.
post #3285 of 3296 Old Yesterday, 10:56 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Oh I'm definitely taking the processor route. I love JRiver, but I'm not trusted a closely calculated Atmos system to any PC for processing. PC's crash more frequently than I'd like to admit.

Definitely taking it up a few levels from a minidsp. QSC core250 will be the DSP used for all 23 channels (17 speakers and 6 subs). It's a monstrous DSP.
Nice! How many of those you need for all your channels? Who is doing your calibration ? What's the damage on one of those ?

-

"Too much is almost enough. Anything in life worth doing is worth overdoing. Moderation is for cowards."
post #3286 of 3296 Old Yesterday, 11:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

My mistake. It does make sense though (to have a processor). QSC stuff is great. I was using one way back for my SubMersive. It was a simple one and it was too complex for me to use. That's why I am glad I had Mark set it up. Then he needed one and we had an arrangement that was beneficial to both of us. I still can't believe that you will have 23 total speakers.

My System

post #3287 of 3296 Old Yesterday, 11:18 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Hey Guys,

I'd like to seek out the advice from my fellow WYSC folks! I have long been contemplating this, and the time is approaching where I must make a decision soon. Ripping blu-rays can be a hassle, and some blu rays (Finding Nemo, The Last Stand, etc.) can be difficult and result in movies that skip chapters in an odd way. With the flurry of new technologies coming out (atmos, auro, UHD), I'm know that physical media will be the initial gateway to content retrieval, and I can't help but wonder: should I abandon digitally storing movies altogether, choosing to solely employ physical discs once more? I've been mulling this for quite some time, but the time is approaching where I'll need to either build an uber-server, or pour that $ into an uber gaming-only computer, with physical media as my source.

All thoughts are welcome!
post #3288 of 3296 Old Yesterday, 11:53 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Do a media server. You can still do a gaming rig. A media server doesn't need to cost you much (in comparison to the other crazy stuff you doing).

Once you rip a BR it's there forever. I know it's work but once you are caught up it's sooooo easy! I don't put in discs. I rip them, and I might not watch it for a few days or even weeks later, but when I do it's just a remote click away. I can browse media, and skip around easily too.

How many discs you talking about ripping? PM incoming.

-

post #3289 of 3296 Old Yesterday, 12:38 PM
AVS Special Member

I have to agree with ripping. I put watch movies by disk that are older and I don't feel like buying again. But everything new is BR and ripped right away. Having access to over 250 movies plus all my series is just too convenient now. The only hassle I have ever had was with regular DVD's. I have never had any issues(except one movie whose title escapes me) that had trouble with the subtitles. All other BR's have been great, including subtitles. It would be very hard for me to go back to %100 disks now. But that's just me. I will say that starting late, when you already have a large collection can be a daunting task. Especially for the TV series. But I just did it bit by bit and slowly it got done. I am very glad I went the server route.
P.S I guess I should say that I am not a huge gamer so that should let you know where my priorities are and why I think the way I do

My System

Last edited by MIkeDuke; Yesterday at 12:41 PM.
post #3290 of 3296 Old Yesterday, 01:32 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Once you get caught up on ripping initially, it's not hard a few at a time here and there as you collect them. Doing a few rips at a time helps too. It took me about a week, in between internet surfing, so it's not like it's hard work. I use MCM to quickly organize them and name them and all that as I do them, or a few at a time so it's easy to keep track of that too.

End result:
Attached Images
File Type: png Untitled.png (780.0 KB, 11 views)

-

post #3291 of 3296 Old Yesterday, 06:13 PM

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 82
Wouldn't it be better to go with the Dolby CP850 for Atmos vs the QSC? Qsc seems more suited for traditional channel based processing vs object based.
post #3292 of 3296 Old Yesterday, 07:22 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mfusick View Post
Nice! How many of those you need for all your channels? Who is doing your calibration ? What's the damage on one of those ?
I'm curious too. Try to google it but couldn't find the price. Not that I need that many channels but curious as always
Mfusick likes this.
post #3293 of 3296 Old Today, 05:54 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Do a media server. You can still do a gaming rig. A media server doesn't need to cost you much (in comparison to the other crazy stuff you doing).

Once you rip a BR it's there forever. I know it's work but once you are caught up it's sooooo easy! I don't put in discs. I rip them, and I might not watch it for a few days or even weeks later, but when I do it's just a remote click away. I can browse media, and skip around easily too.

How many discs you talking about ripping? PM incoming.
Quote:
I have to agree with ripping. I put watch movies by disk that are older and I don't feel like buying again. But everything new is BR and ripped right away. Having access to over 250 movies plus all my series is just too convenient now. The only hassle I have ever had was with regular DVD's. I have never had any issues(except one movie whose title escapes me) that had trouble with the subtitles. All other BR's have been great, including subtitles. It would be very hard for me to go back to %100 disks now. But that's just me. I will say that starting late, when you already have a large collection can be a daunting task. Especially for the TV series. But I just did it bit by bit and slowly it got done. I am very glad I went the server route.
P.S I guess I should say that I am not a huge gamer so that should let you know where my priorities are and why I think the way I do
Quote:
Once you get caught up on ripping initially, it's not hard a few at a time here and there as you collect them. Doing a few rips at a time helps too. It took me about a week, in between internet surfing, so it's not like it's hard work. I use MCM to quickly organize them and name them and all that as I do them, or a few at a time so it's easy to keep track of that too.

End result:
Don't get me wrong fellas--I love ripping, storing, and playback via JRiver!

The ease of use is second to none! I generally import blu rays four at a time, but sometimes I feel like I don't want to be bothered with the importing and configuration, of it. Of course, this is 3% of the time, but I still do wonder...

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevon27 View Post
Wouldn't it be better to go with the Dolby CP850 for Atmos vs the QSC? Qsc seems more suited for traditional channel based processing vs object based.
Dude, I could never, in my wildest dreams, afford a CP850!!! Not even with my biggest bonus, it's just not a smart purchase for a middle-class consumer. The QSC equalizes each channel. It doesn't see Atmos, DTS, etc. It just sees the speaker and the room characteristics and can steer (important for dual side-surround configurations). I'd use another device to process ATMOS, but the QSC would do the heavy lifting as far as the real intricacies of speaker fine-tuning.

Quote:
I'm curious too. Try to google it but couldn't find the price. Not that I need that many channels but curious as always
The QSC core 250 MSRP is around $4800 for the chassis before adding channel cards, which are around $400 each. But, I might buying under a special agreement....
post #3294 of 3296 Old Today, 06:14 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

The QSC core 250 MSRP is around $4800 for the chassis before adding channel cards, which are around $400 each. But, I might buying under a special agreement....
Wow thats a good price. You have piqed my interest. I was expecting $20,000+ Im going to have to look into it. I like the channel cards which I love to add 4 sub cards as well as the Atmos ceiling channel cards. Always wanted a pre amp that could offer 4 sub out. My last pre amp had 3 sub pre out.
Thanks Brolic.

Frank

post #3295 of 3296 Old Today, 08:58 AM
AVS Addicted Member

I've just had a look at the qsc products, I think I'll stick with the Marantz. For me I will need someone with experience to program these units. Don't think we have any where I live.
post #3296 of 3296 Old Today, 09:49 AM
AVS Special Member

I am just trying to wrap my noodle around the actual pre amp you will go for Matt. I mean you have a lot of speakers. The most accommodating preamp can handle what, about 13 speakers? Even with that EQ how do you connect it to all your speakers. The Datasat can probably do more right? And I know that the one from Goldmund can have up to 32 channels I think. But both, especially the Goldmund are really expensive. I am really curious to see how this all gets connected. I know you already have a plan for this, otherwise you would not be doing it, I am just very interested on how it all comes together.
I know you are working off both threads so I hope you don't mind me posting my question here.

My System

Reply What's Your System Configuration

Tags
Emotiva Xpr 1 , Marantz Av8801 , Jvc Dla Rs66 , Cambridge Audio Azur Dacmagic 100 Silver , Oppo Bdp 105 Blu Ray Player , Panamax M5300 Pm 11 Outlet Clean Power Level 4 Black
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page