BrolicBeast's Living Room Theater - Page 112 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
post #3331 of 3356 Old 10-11-2014, 12:55 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Looks like you are getting closer and closer to being able to sit back and enjoy the fruits of all the hard work.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3332 of 3356 Old 10-12-2014, 10:46 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 359 Post(s)
Liked: 433
Quote:
Originally Posted by MIkeDuke View Post
Nice. Having the Gold's for your surrounds are going to great. You have them for your sides as well right? Man this is going to be sweet. I know with the framing done and now the wires being run you are getting really excited. I hope you can get the preamp as well so you can get the most out of that stellar system. Plus check your PM. I sent you something quick to look at.
Yes sir, definitely using the Golds for sides as well! I can't wait to fire it up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mfusick View Post
I've never heard GOLD. Only PLAT and BRONZE, which there was a difference between them.
Golds are right under the Plats. They're typically used for main LCR, but as a lover of overkill, I went with them,for surrounds.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wkingincharge View Post
Looks like you are getting closer and closer to being able to sit back and enjoy the fruits of all the hard work.
Step by step and day by day, man. I'm delayed by two weeks due to sickness, but I'm back on track now (I'm actually on lunch break right now).
flashman03 likes this.
post #3333 of 3356 Old 10-22-2014, 04:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked: 70
Brolic,

That row of Triads looks ominous. The theater is coming together bit by bit. Will the forum be able to contain the awesomeness when it's complete? Stay tuned. . .

I went to the NY Audio Show last month, and got to see and hear those Legacy Aeris speakers as well as the Focus SEs. The Aeris was awesome. The Focus SE slightly less so, but still awesome. Also had a chat with Bill Dudleston. As a result of this, despite the cost, the Focus is back on the short-list of potential replacements for my Mirages.

I just got back from watching your Focus SE review on YouTube again. Another push in that direction. There is a Legacy dealer in NYC now, as well. Can I blame ANY of it on you if I end up buying Legacys instead of Bryston Model Ts?
post #3334 of 3356 Old 11-11-2014, 06:36 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by prepress View Post
Brolic,

That row of Triads looks ominous. The theater is coming together bit by bit. Will the forum be able to contain the awesomeness when it's complete? Stay tuned. . .

I went to the NY Audio Show last month, and got to see and hear those Legacy Aeris speakers as well as the Focus SEs. The Aeris was awesome. The Focus SE slightly less so, but still awesome. Also had a chat with Bill Dudleston. As a result of this, despite the cost, the Focus is back on the short-list of potential replacements for my Mirages.

I just got back from watching your Focus SE review on YouTube again. Another push in that direction. There is a Legacy dealer in NYC now, as well. Can I blame ANY of it on you if I end up buying Legacys instead of Bryston Model Ts?
Prepress! What's up man.....the Focus are awesome. I will gladly accept the blame if you go Legacy! I was watching my Legacy video a couple of weeks ago and yearned for that AMT sound once more. Right now, I have no sound at all. Lol...btw, I think you should write mirage and tell them when you bought your speakers and how you still enjoy them today. They might send you something...a free crossover upgrade or something....you never know.

Also, as a random update.....the room is starting to take shape!!!!:

post #3335 of 3356 Old 11-13-2014, 07:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrolicBeast View Post
Prepress! What's up man.....the Focus are awesome. I will gladly accept the blame if you go Legacy! I was watching my Legacy video a couple of weeks ago and yearned for that AMT sound once more. Right now, I have no sound at all. Lol...btw, I think you should write mirage and tell them when you bought your speakers and how you still enjoy them today. They might send you something...a free crossover upgrade or something....you never know.

Also, as a random update.....the room is starting to take shape!!!!:

Is the pink stuff standard insulation, or does it have acoustical properties too?

If I go Legacy Focus, it'll be a standard finish. Not counting delivery but including sales tax we're talking $11,557.08. The Brystons would be $8595.68 (gotta have those outriggers!). I don't like plugging in speakers, but the GoldenEar Triton One and Def Tech Mythos ST-L are alternatives.

Maybe I'll shoot an e-mail off to Mirage. Why not?
post #3336 of 3356 Old 11-13-2014, 12:01 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Is the pink stuff standard insulation, or does it have acoustical properties too?

If I go Legacy Focus, it'll be a standard finish. Not counting delivery but including sales tax we're talking $11,557.08. The Brystons would be $8595.68 (gotta have those outriggers!). I don't like plugging in speakers, but the GoldenEar Triton One and Def Tech Mythos ST-L are alternatives.

Maybe I'll shoot an e-mail off to Mirage. Why not?
The pink insulation is pretty standard, although it can have decent acoustic treatment capabilities when compressed.

You'll definitely want the black pearl finish Focus SEs...I don't know if the standard (natural oak?) finish would blend well with your room....they might though.
post #3337 of 3356 Old 11-13-2014, 06:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
The pink insulation is pretty standard, although it can have decent acoustic treatment capabilities when compressed.

You'll definitely want the black pearl finish Focus SEs...I don't know if the standard (natural oak?) finish would blend well with your room....they might though.
The standard finishes: natural cherry, black oak, medium oak, and walnut. I'd say either oak works. Most of the wood in here (bookcases, CD/DVD racks, LP/LD racks) is oak. The black pearl premium finish might work simply because it's black, though I have nothing else like it here. That will run an additional $880, though.

Now, is there a projection for the finish of this HT of yours, or is it a case of it's done when it's done?
post #3338 of 3356 Old 11-13-2014, 09:01 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
The standard finishes: natural cherry, black oak, medium oak, and walnut. I'd say either oak works. Most of the wood in here (bookcases, CD/DVD racks, LP/LD racks) is oak. The black pearl premium finish might work simply because it's black, though I have nothing else like it here. That will run an additional $880, though.

Now, is there a projection for the finish of this HT of yours, or is it a case of it's done when it's done?
I hear ya...the extra cost of the premium finish isn't fun. Ah, a projected finish? Well...early 2015 it's looking like. Soundproofing is so much work...it's not even funny. Spent nine hours between last night and tonight putting up cross bracing between joists to hold ceiling isolation clips (the time doesn't account for actual isolation clip installation.....and that's just to gain two inches of ceiling headroom while maintaining sound isolation. This is definitely a once in a lifetime endeavor. Never again!
post #3339 of 3356 Old 11-14-2014, 11:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
I hear ya...the extra cost of the premium finish isn't fun. Ah, a projected finish? Well...early 2015 it's looking like. Soundproofing is so much work...it's not even funny. Spent nine hours between last night and tonight putting up cross bracing between joists to hold ceiling isolation clips (the time doesn't account for actual isolation clip installation.....and that's just to gain two inches of ceiling headroom while maintaining sound isolation. This is definitely a once in a lifetime endeavor. Never again!
I probably would have just slapped a rug on the floor and called it a day.
post #3340 of 3356 Old 11-14-2014, 12:16 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
I probably would have just slapped a rug on the floor and called it a day.
I wish I had done exactly that. I'd be enjoying movies right now.
post #3341 of 3356 Unread 12-22-2014, 05:06 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

post #3342 of 3356 Unread 01-02-2015, 03:56 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

DRYWALL DONE!!!!!!

So, I spent the last two days with Jeff (BigMouthinDC) and four drywall guys in my basement beasting through some green glue drywall action. Got a ridiculously amazing crew who knocked it out in two days, including putting triple layers on the exterior walls of the theater. They are monsters!

ALL SURFACES YOU SEE HAVE THREE DRYWALL LAYERS:

BEFORE & AFTER:

Front Wall

Front Right Corner

Front Left Corner

Rear Right Corner

Rear Left Corner

Miscellaneous Pictures:
The actual size of my walls. THe door jambs were custom built to match the thickness of the walls from stuf to third layer of drywall:

The drywall guys, hard at work. I highly recommend them. This is the second clips/channel/green glue/multi-layer theater they've done, and they are pros. These guys measured channel location for every single piece of drywall they cut. I've never seen anything like it:

Jeff (BIG) smoothing the calk on one of the corners
flashman03 likes this.

Last edited by BrolicBeast; 01-02-2015 at 03:59 AM.
post #3343 of 3356 Unread 01-02-2015, 06:10 PM

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Are you adopting adult males who can cook well and have military experience? Looking amazing!
BrolicBeast likes this.
post #3344 of 3356 Unread 01-05-2015, 05:40 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by flashman03 View Post
Are you adopting adult males who can cook well and have military experience? Looking amazing!
lolol, thanks for the kind words flashman! I'll have to check with the wife :-)
flashman03 likes this.

Build In Progress: The Beast, Unleashed | The Video Series: The Beast, Unleashed Build Series | The Old System: System Configuration Thread

Social: Facebook | YouTube | Google+ | Twitter | Email Me
post #3345 of 3356 Unread 01-08-2015, 08:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 351 Post(s)
Liked: 339
Quote:
lolol, thanks for the kind words flashman! I'll have to check with the wife :-)
I already checked with your wife...she said "Heck yeah!!!" to having more adult males living in your basement....I'm going to need your addy for my GPS..... I kid..I kid. Looks fantastic so far Matt.

Last edited by Frohlich; 01-08-2015 at 08:23 AM.
post #3346 of 3356 Unread 01-12-2015, 05:56 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frohlich View Post
I already checked with your wife...she said "Heck yeah!!!" to having more adult males living in your basement....I'm going to need your addy for my GPS..... I kid..I kid. Looks fantastic so far Matt.
After much consideration, the wife has vetoed the Theater Lovers Dormitory Act of 2015.

lololol

I voted for her, so I must accept her veto powers. lol.
flashman03 likes this.

Build In Progress: The Beast, Unleashed | The Video Series: The Beast, Unleashed Build Series | The Old System: System Configuration Thread

Last edited by BrolicBeast; 01-12-2015 at 06:02 AM.
post #3347 of 3356 Unread 02-12-2015, 08:37 AM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Good Morning Brolic,

Your theater looks awesome. Your equipment choices are out of this world. Congrats!!

I'm slightly confused, just like long ago in high school. I started reading and I'm about 1500 posts into the thread. I couldn't stand the suspense and skipped to the end to see how things turned out. What the heck? Where did the Legacies go? Now Triad? You are a home theater equipment God!!

I put a couples things together. The original pics are of your old house and that's where the Legacy setup was. Correct? Now the latest pics of drywall, is the new theater?

Can we have a Cliff Notes update? Not sure I can read 1800 more post with this confusion

Thanks
Jeff
post #3348 of 3356 Unread 02-12-2015, 09:06 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlcichocki View Post
Good Morning Brolic,

Your theater looks awesome. Your equipment choices are out of this world. Congrats!!

I'm slightly confused, just like long ago in high school. I started reading and I'm about 1500 posts into the thread. I couldn't stand the suspense and skipped to the end to see how things turned out. What the heck? Where did the Legacies go? Now Triad? You are a home theater equipment God!!

I put a couples things together. The original pics are of your old house and that's where the Legacy setup was. Correct? Now the latest pics of drywall, is the new theater?

Can we have a Cliff Notes update? Not sure I can read 1800 more post with this confusion

Thanks
Jeff
Thanks for the kind words Jeff!

Ah, the cliff notes version.....even could take a while! lol--I'll try to sum it up though:
  1. First System - Zenith plasma with Infinity Primus 360BK & 160BK surrounds w/PS12 Subwoofer
  2. Next System - Panasonic Plasma with klipsch RF-82's, RC-62 center, and RVX-54 surrounds, with SVS PB-13 Ultra subwoofer
  3. Next Iteration: all of the above, changed orientation of the room 90 degrees and added an Elite Cinetension2 motorized screen and Mitsubishi HC7000 projector (razor sharp!)
  4. Next Iteration: Replaced SVS PB-13 Ultra subwoofer with two Seaton Sound Submersive F2 subwoofers in rosenut finish
  5. Next Iteration: Replaced Mitsubishi HC7000 projector with JVC RS45
  6. Next Iteration: Upgraded to JVC-RS56
  7. Next Iteration: Sold Elite Cinetension2 Screen and purchased Steward ST130 screen (10' wide)
  8. Next Iteration: Sold Seaton Submersive F2's
  9. Next Iteration: Purchased Legacy Focus SE in Black Pearl finish
  10. Next Iteration: Purchased Emotiva XPR-1 monoblock amplifiers, and realized that I didn't need to rush to get subwoofers just yet
  11. Next Iteration: Sold Legacy Focus SE's in order to fund Legacy Aeris speakers
  12. Next Iteration: While saving to afford the Legacy Aeris, an opportunity came along to purchase Triad LCR Platinums and I siezed the opportunity
  13. Next Iteration: With the low end prowess now gone, purchased two Seaton Submersives
  14. Next Iteration: Purchased Sony VPL-VW600ES 4k Projector
  15. Next Iteration: Leapt into high end pre/pro with a Theta Casablanca 3HD (I wrote a review for it on AVS)
  16. Major Milestone: Wife and I got married, built a house, and left the old theater behind
  17. Next Iteration: Began building soundproofed room
  18. Next Iteration: Sold Triad Platinum LCR and puirchased Triad CinemaPlus Platinum LCR, which offer more output and a baffle-wall centric design
  19. Next Iteration: Still Building Room
  20. Next Iteration: STILL building room
  21. Next Iteration: room gets drywalled
  22. Sold the Theta and Submersives
AND HERE WE ARE!!!!!

Inbetween the above items, i purchased and sold countless items like pre.pros, power conditioners, DACs, etc. But those are the major purchases! I hope this helps clarify some things

But I must clarify on the term "Home Theater God"-----there is but one God, and He is in heaven enjoying music from the angels in ways that we cannot fathom...that is, until we join Him

post #3349 of 3356 Unread 02-12-2015, 01:28 PM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:

Ah, the cliff notes version.....even could take a while! lol--I'll try to sum it up though:
  1. First System - Zenith plasma with Infinity Primus 360BK & 160BK surrounds w/PS12 Subwoofer
  2. Next System - Panasonic Plasma with klipsch RF-82's, RC-62 center, and RVX-54 surrounds, with SVS PB-13 Ultra subwoofer
  3. Next Iteration: all of the above, changed orientation of the room 90 degrees and added an Elite Cinetension2 motorized screen and Mitsubishi HC7000 projector (razor sharp!)
  4. Next Iteration: Replaced SVS PB-13 Ultra subwoofer with two Seaton Sound Submersive F2 subwoofers in rosenut finish
  7. Next Iteration: Sold Elite Cinetension2 Screen and purchased Steward ST130 screen (10' wide)
  10. Next Iteration: Purchased Emotiva XPR-1 monoblock amplifiers, and realized that I didn't need to rush to get subwoofers just yet
  11. Next Iteration: Sold Legacy Focus SE's in order to fund Legacy Aeris speakers
  12. Next Iteration: While saving to afford the Legacy Aeris, an opportunity came along to purchase Triad LCR Platinums and I siezed the opportunity
  13. Next Iteration: With the low end prowess now gone, purchased two Seaton Submersives
  15. Next Iteration: Leapt into high end pre/pro with a Theta Casablanca 3HD (I wrote a review for it on AVS)
  16. Major Milestone: Wife and I got married, built a house, and left the old theater behind
  18. Next Iteration: Sold Triad Platinum LCR and puirchased Triad CinemaPlus Platinum LCR, which offer more output and a baffle-wall centric design
AND HERE WE ARE!!!!!

Inbetween the above items, i purchased and sold countless items like pre.pros, power conditioners, DACs, etc. But those are the major purchases! I hope this helps clarify some things

But I must clarify on the term "Home Theater God"-----there is but one God, and He is in heaven enjoying music from the angels in ways that we cannot fathom...that is, until we join Him
WOW that is alot of upgrades
post #3350 of 3356 Unread 02-12-2015, 01:37 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by femi View Post
WOW that is alot of upgrades
Too many!
post #3351 of 3356 Unread 02-12-2015, 01:49 PM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Too many!
Hey, you only live once. May as well enjoy it
post #3352 of 3356 Unread 02-12-2015, 03:41 PM

Quote:

AND HERE WE ARE!!!!!

Thanks!! That makes the story clearer, maybe a bit crazy but it makes sense. I must agree and disagree with you. I agree my God terminology was quite loose and there is only one Almighty. I disagree the He is listening to music in heaven with the angles. He is skipping time with the angles and heading straight to your little slice of heaven!!

Your list begs for several comments, first of which is that you have your own angle....your new wife. She's understanding and willing beyond comprehension. If you are ever passing through Wisconsin, please stop by. My lovely bride could use some coaching from your wife.

I had not read enough to realize the Focus were already sold enroute to Aerius. How exactly did the Triad come into the picture? Your earlier posts had me asking questions about Legacy, and considering they are only a couple hundred miles away, I may even be able to hear them. How do you have such connections to audition, buy and sell so much great stuff? I'm just trying to learn the secret

I have been planning a theater for 20 years. It's just been the last couple that my wallet has caught up to my dreams.

I have been pining for M&K speakers for 20 yrs. I heard them at a stereo store and it was a life changing memory. No money kept me in check, but never made me stop studying and dreaming.

I have been through several theater in a box scenarios. I have also upgraded my tv through the years. Now I'm to the point that I can grow with truly better equipment. I need growth lessons from you . Wait, my wife needs those lessons first.

Seriously, I'm 90% theater and 10% music. I am trying to dial is a shopping list. I'm frustrated by how difficult it is these days to audition (or even hear) higher quality equipment. I am to the point of just buying something and hoping that it is close to the reviews. Since you have high equipment turn over, where do you sell things? Just by your connections here?

Gotta run. Sorry.
Jeff
post #3353 of 3356 Unread Yesterday, 03:56 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Power conditioners. I knew I was forgetting something!!! :-)
post #3354 of 3356 Unread Today, 04:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

AND HERE WE ARE!!!!!

And I dare you to total up the cost on all of it!
post #3355 of 3356 Unread Today, 12:07 PM

Brolic,

Sorry I had to cut short and run the other day. The price of being oncall...

I just saw your ad for the Emo's dating back to last Feb. Are they still for sale?

Jeff
post #3356 of 3356 Unread Today, 07:29 PM

Quote:

Brolic,

I have almost completed the entire anthology of your AV life. Quite impressive with or without the Cliff Notes

I have been seriously considering M&K speakers for my new theater. Given your history, can you expain how you got onto Triad? I'm not trying to be annoying, I know they have forever been regarded as a great theater speaker. But was that always the plan? I like a lot of the same stuff that you have used. But I am much more of a researcher and a buy it once no matter the cost type person. Since you have already travelled down a similar path, I would like to draw some comparisons.

I appreciate all the info.

Jeff
Reply What's Your System Configuration

Tags
Emotiva Xpr 1 , Marantz Av8801 , Jvc Dla Rs66 , Cambridge Audio Azur Dacmagic 100 Silver , Oppo Bdp 105 Blu Ray Player , Panamax M5300 Pm 11 Outlet Clean Power Level 4 Black
Gear in this thread