BrolicBeast's Living Room Theater - Page 13 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #361 of 3327 Old 01-10-2012, 06:41 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 202 Post(s)
Liked: 312
Just sprung for a Hsu Research ULS-15 to complement the SVS PB-13 Ultra. I've been hearing a lot of good things about this sub. It will will replace my current 2nd sub--an Infinity PS-12. ***Dances for joy*** Hsu still has their holiday sale going. Didn't take long to decide. lol

The Build:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
| The System:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
| The Video Series:

Social:
|
|
|
|
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #362 of 3327 Old 01-10-2012, 09:37 PM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrolicBeast View Post

Just sprung for a Hsu Research ULS-15 to complement the SVS PB-13 Ultra. I've been hearing a lot of good things about this sub. It will will replace my current 2nd sub--an Infinity PS-12. ***Dances for joy*** Hsu still has their holiday sale going. Didn't take long to decide. lol

It will be interesting to see how you integrate these two subs. They are both great subs, but their designs are very different. Integrating them will be "challenging".

Craig

Lombardi said it:
Perfection is not attainable, but if we chase perfection we can catch excellence."

post #363 of 3327 Old 01-11-2012, 09:42 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by craig john View Post

It will be interesting to see how you integrate these two subs. They are both great subs, but their designs are very different. Integrating them will be "challenging".

Craig

***edit*** Ive actually just cancelled the ULS-15 order.....I think that money could be better spent elsewhere.***edit***

But alas, I may run the Svs in sealed move using all three port plugs. I will do lots of experimenting, and if nothing can be done, I'll put it in the upstairs media room, which is currently being served by an emotiva ultra 12 sealed subwoofer. alternately, I may return it and put the $ toward a Fathom sub.......

hmmmm....now the wheels in my brain are churning.....what if I go that route anyway...

The Build:
| The System:
| The Video Series:

Social:
|
|
|
|
post #364 of 3327 Old 01-11-2012, 10:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 165
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddgtr View Post

@ Reddig. The hiss you're hearing it's normal. Even higher end gear have it. I hear it on my Pass, but only when I glue my ear to the tweeter. At 4 inches it's gone. However, when I hook up the speakers to the Onkyo directly, the hiss is a bit more pronounced and it increases as I turn up the volume (no music, of course).

Cool thanks for chiming in ddgtr. Makes me feel better and I appreciated your perspective.

JBL Pro Cinema
post #365 of 3327 Old 01-11-2012, 11:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

***edit*** Ive actually just cancelled the ULS-15 order.....I think that money could be better spent elsewhere.***edit***

But alas, I may run the Svs in sealed move using all three port plugs. I will do lots of experimenting, and if nothing can be done, I'll put it in the upstairs media room, which is currently being served by an emotiva ultra 12 sealed subwoofer. alternately, I may return it and put the $ toward a Fathom sub.......

hmmmm....now the wheels in my brain are churning.....what if I go that route anyway...

HSU VTF-15H. Can't go wrong and would/should play well with the SVS.

JBL Pro Cinema
post #366 of 3327 Old 01-11-2012, 11:21 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reddig View Post

HSU VTF-15H. Can't go wrong and would/should play well with the SVS.

I've actually scratched the 2nd sub replacement altogether....I think my speakers are the only gear I've been ignoring for the last few years so I should focus on a speaker-upgrade project!!!

The Build:
| The System:
| The Video Series:

Social:
|
|
|
|
post #367 of 3327 Old 01-11-2012, 03:17 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:

I've actually scratched the 2nd sub replacement altogether....I think my speakers are the only gear I've been ignoring for the last few years so I should focus on a speaker-upgrade project!!!

How about some Swans F2.2+ my friend Brolic?

edit: Then (trust me), you will no longer ever be asking for another sub...

My dedicated home theater room:
post #368 of 3327 Old 01-11-2012, 04:22 PM

Liked: 10
Quote:

Integra 80.3 impressions:

the 80.3 is identical to the 80.2 as far as HDMI sound goes, but its analog sound has definitely improved.....and it's video processing has vastly improved. It includes a host of tweaks that improve video for every source--with the exception of the source associated with the Oppo BDP-95, for which I eschew additional processing. Its Audyssey setup is vastly improved as well.

All in all, if you don't plan on upgrading to a 4K projector in the near future and you own an 80.2, keep it. But if you plan on upgrading to a 4k projector soon, the 4k upscaling and 4k passthrough (for future 4k sources) make it a worthy upgrade.

You're killing me BrolicBeast! I bought the 80.2 to keep up with you (in my B room at least). Now you pull this little stunt.

I'll wait a bit before thinking about upgrade plans. For now, the Pioneer Elite plasma at 1080p is good enough. If I upgrade later to a 4K display, then I'll think about the latest and greatest from Integra.

Congrats on the upgrade!

Ridding the world of ferrets, one stinking critter at a time.

post #369 of 3327 Old 01-11-2012, 04:42 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:

I've had Fathoms, and the Submersives are better subs in the 2 most important aspects... extension and output. Within their limits, the JL's are great and their sound quality is excellent. But the Submersives are their equal for SQ and beat them in every other way. The only reason, (IMO), to get Fathoms is if you absolutely need the form factor of the smaller box.

My $0.02.

Craig

Lombardi said it:
Perfection is not attainable, but if we chase perfection we can catch excellence."

post #370 of 3327 Old 01-11-2012, 05:58 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadster-s View Post

How about some Swans F2.2+ my friend Brolic?

edit: Then (trust me), you will no longer ever be asking for another sub...

LOL.....man, I'm afraid those Skyscrapers are out of my budget. I'd have to refinance the house just to step into that ball park. lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by FerretHunter View Post

You're killing me BrolicBeast! I bought the 80.2 to keep up with you (in my B room at least). Now you pull this little stunt.

I'll wait a bit before thinking about upgrade plans. For now, the Pioneer Elite plasma at 1080p is good enough. If I upgrade later to a 4K display, then I'll think about the latest and greatest from Integra.

Congrats on the upgrade!

Anybody who keeps an 80.2 in the "B" room is a hero to me. lol
4K displays may be on the horizon....although I doubt they will reach reasonable prices within the next two-to-three years. And even then, a company will need to pump out a reference model before the rest of us jump on it. I totally understand your desire to wait! lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by craig john View Post

I've had Fathoms, and the Submersives are better subs in the 2 most important aspects... extension and output. Within their limits, the JL's are great and their sound quality is excellent. But the Submersives are their equal for SQ and beat them in every other way. The only reason, (IMO), to get Fathoms is if you absolutely need the form factor of the smaller box.

My $0.02.

Craig

In my current setup, I'd need their form-factor--but in future dedicated theaters, form factors won't be a factor. I wasn't aware of a reasonable Fathom-beater....I will spend much of this evening researching those Seatons. Thanks for the info.

The Build:
| The System:
| The Video Series:

Social:
|
|
|
|
post #371 of 3327 Old 01-12-2012, 05:26 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Is anybody familiar with Silver Serpent XLR cables from a firm called "Better Cables?"

The Build:
| The System:
| The Video Series:

Social:
|
|
|
|
post #372 of 3327 Old 01-12-2012, 08:29 AM

Liked: 14
Quote:

Is anybody familiar with Silver Serpent XLR cables from a firm called "Better Cables?"

Yep, those are the ones I'm running on my XPA-1's. All positive, as long as you don't get me into snake oil comments...

My dedicated home theater room:
post #373 of 3327 Old 01-12-2012, 09:20 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadster-s View Post

Yep, those are the ones I'm running on my XPA-1's. All positive, as long as you don't get me into snake oil comments...

LOL....I ordered five of the Silver Serpent XLR interconnects this morning, along with a Black Mamba RCA interconnect for the DAC. Glad to know you're running them as well!

Lol...I've seen snake-oil references before on this forum....but I can't recall where.

The Build:
| The System:
| The Video Series:

Social:
|
|
|
|
post #374 of 3327 Old 01-13-2012, 02:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 61
Quote:

LOL....I ordered five of the Silver Serpent XLR interconnects this morning, along with a Black Mamba RCA interconnect for the DAC. Glad to know you're running them as well!

Lol...I've seen snake-oil references before on this forum....but I can't recall where.

If that's Audioquest Black Mamba II you're talking about, I'm using those for my BDP to preamp and preamp to power amp connections. No complaints.

post #375 of 3327 Old 01-13-2012, 03:02 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by prepress View Post

If that's Audioquest Black Mamba II you're talking about, I'm using those for my BDP to preamp and preamp to power amp connections. No complaints.

Excellent! Is one of those "improve your system" interconnects? Or is it a "gets out of the way of the sound" interconnect?

The Build:
| The System:
| The Video Series:

Social:
|
|
|
|
post #376 of 3327 Old 01-14-2012, 03:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Excellent! Is one of those "improve your system" interconnects? Or is it a "gets out of the way of the sound" interconnect?

First, the preamp-power amp connection was replaced with AQ King Cobra. The BM is still feeding my main BDP and is the analog connection from my cable box (!) to the Duo processor. Even with such a modest source, the sound improved over the standard stuff they give you with a cable box, and a bit over the HDMI connection I used before. And I hear that difference going through the TV's audio. Cleaner and crisper is a good description. Off the BD player I get nice, full sound with good detail. Black Mamba would not be out of place in a more expensive setup, I think.

Overall I'd say it's closer to "gets out of the way." I used an organ-brass performance of an old hymn "The Strife is O'er" (one of the few Catholic hymns to make it into the Protestant hymnbook, by the way) and paid attention to how the bass organ pedal at the end was handled. The Black Mamba was a bit fuller on the pre-power connection than Kimber Hero (a classic), and not as full as the King Cobra. Being in the middle, I would say the BM was the most neutral of the three. But that comparison was based upon that one small section; other than that there wasn't a significant difference to my ears. It was also done with my B&K amps; I haven't tried it with the Macs I have now and don't feel the need.

post #377 of 3327 Old 01-14-2012, 06:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Nice man looking forward to seeing what ya get!

JBL Pro Cinema
post #378 of 3327 Old 01-15-2012, 11:49 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Hey BrolicBeast, I am wondering why you have 2 circuits running to your system? I may be looking to moving to separates in a year or two and adding a second sub in the near future and was curious what made you add the second circuit.

thanks

Dan

My set up

post #379 of 3327 Old 01-16-2012, 09:00 AM

Liked: 10
A huge fan of your system and your YouTube videos. I'm hoping you can help me out? Your DacMagic video blew me away and I'm looking to get the same result using my HTPC. Here's my question: will using a soundcard like HT Omega Claro Halo or Asus Xonar XT with the analog outputs to my receiver yield a result similar to the DacMagic or is a DAC type device the only to get sound as amazing as yours?
post #380 of 3327 Old 01-17-2012, 04:17 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

First, the preamp-power amp connection was replaced with AQ King Cobra. The BM is still feeding my main BDP and is the analog connection from my cable box (!) to the Duo processor. Even with such a modest source, the sound improved over the standard stuff they give you with a cable box, and a bit over the HDMI connection I used before. And I hear that difference going through the TV's audio. Cleaner and crisper is a good description. Off the BD player I get nice, full sound with good detail. Black Mamba would not be out of place in a more expensive setup, I think.

Overall I'd say it's closer to "gets out of the way." I used an organ-brass performance of an old hymn "The Strife is O'er" (one of the few Catholic hymns to make it into the Protestant hymnbook, by the way) and paid attention to how the bass organ pedal at the end was handled. The Black Mamba was a bit fuller on the pre-power connection than Kimber Hero (a classic), and not as full as the King Cobra. Being in the middle, I would say the BM was the most neutral of the three. But that comparison was based upon that one small section; other than that there wasn't a significant difference to my ears. It was also done with my B&K amps; I haven't tried it with the Macs I have now and don't feel the need.

Thanks for that insight. I just started breaking them in....don't hear any difference yet, although that might just be a testament to the Emotiva RCA cables that they replaced. I won't start really searching for differences for another few days.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reddig View Post

Nice man looking forward to seeing what ya get!

Thanks man....it'll probably be a while. I'm wrapping up my second graduate degree this May, and-of course--I have to spend inordinate amounts of $ on the obligatory familial celebrations. I'd rather just stay home and listen to ten great albums in a row instead of celebrating, but......I already know how that goes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scout's staff View Post

Hey BrolicBeast, I am wondering why you have 2 circuits running to your system? I may be looking to moving to separates in a year or two and adding a second sub in the near future and was curious what made you add the second circuit.

thanks

Hey Scout's Staff--that's a cool name, btw. I actually ran the two circuits in preparation for the Anthem Statement P5 amplifier, which requires two separate circuits (and comes with two separate power cords) to get the most out of it. I still plan on getting that Anthem, but right now, the circuits are going unused.

Quote:
Originally Posted by straygraves View Post

A huge fan of your system and your YouTube videos. I'm hoping you can help me out? Your DacMagic video blew me away and I'm looking to get the same result using my HTPC. Here's my question: will using a soundcard like HT Omega Claro Halo or Asus Xonar XT with the analog outputs to my receiver yield a result similar to the DacMagic or is a DAC type device the only to get sound as amazing as yours?

Hey man, thanks....glad you like the vids. I have to be honest--I don't fully know the answer to that question, as I literally have never run full analog outputs from a sound-card. before the dac, I just ran a coaxial cable from the computer to the processor and that was it. I would, however, assume that the DAC would still provide superior sound due to its internal clock that re-stabilizes the 1's and 0's. I'm not sure what the quality of those cards are, but if there's anybody on here with experience with computer-based audio and the caliber of the HT Omega and Asus sound cards, please chime in. Sorry I couldn't provide something solid.

The Build:
| The System:
| The Video Series:

Social:
|
|
|
|
post #381 of 3327 Old 01-17-2012, 08:11 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

On a personal, but audio-related note, my girlfriend has been sitting in some of my listening sessions and I've been pointing out some excellent recordings........and at a concert this past saturday night, the speakers at the venue began to play music prior to the concert's initiation, and she said "Ugh, louder is not better. Your system sounds way more refined than this, Matt."

and....it gets better.........

Toward the end of the night, the headliner performed a superb medley of Jazz/R&B, and my lady said "She has an audiophile voice. Listen to that texture."

This was music to my ears :-) You guys must understand--this is a woman who, up until a couple years ago, had been listening to compressed mp3 files since the late 90's.....and to hear her comment on music quality simply warmed my Brolic heart. I'm going to slowly turn her into an audiophile. ***Mischievous grin***

Have any of you folks here on WYSC been successful in pulling your significant other into this hobby?

The Build:
| The System:
| The Video Series:

Social:
|
|
|
|
post #382 of 3327 Old 01-17-2012, 09:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
That is the sign, Brolic! She is the one!! I foresee marriage in the near future! Please do not forget to invite your AV brothers (especially if there's gonna be plenty of booze)...

As for your question: I wouldn't say I was totally successful, but it's as close as I can get if you know what I mean. She does love to have a listen every once in a while and had some good input while we were auditioning the SFs - for a noob that is.

post #383 of 3327 Old 01-18-2012, 06:39 AM
Advanced Member

Thanks Brolic, Appreciate the response. I was having a hard time comparing your AV equipment to mine and seeing a large power need difference. I was concerned that I was trying to accomplish too much off of one 15amp circuit. I may add a second circuit for future growth into separates myself. The Anthem P5 is a beast. I had read up on it a few months back. I do not expect to need that much power given my speakers a rated around 200 -225 watts. Although I'm told they can handle a lot.

Glad you like the name - for those who have a dog, you end up working for them. The last time I checked, no one takes me for walks and picked up my poop.....I asked, my wife said no. ; )

Dan

My set up

post #384 of 3327 Old 01-18-2012, 06:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Thanks for that insight. I just started breaking them in....don't hear any difference yet, although that might just be a testament to the Emotiva RCA cables that they replaced. I won't start really searching for differences for another few days.

It's often said that cables need to break in, so if that's true I agree to give it some time. I have found that differences show up more further down the chain, at least to my semi-audiophile ears.

post #385 of 3327 Old 01-18-2012, 07:00 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Have any of you folks here on WYSC been successful in pulling your significant other into this hobby?

My wife is starting to get it, but she still claims that she would be fine with a 13" black and white TV that she used in college. However, she is the first one to remind me to turn on the system when we watch football. I think she likes the stadium sound/energy that it brings.

On the plus side - she is very supportive of the hobby and is nudging me to get the second sub with the Christmas and birthday money recently received. In addition, not very many wives would let you install 8 decent size speakers in the walls of your main living room.

Dan

My set up

post #386 of 3327 Old 01-20-2012, 05:58 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddgtr View Post

That is the sign, Brolic! She is the one!! I foresee marriage in the near future! Please do not forget to invite your AV brothers (especially if there's gonna be plenty of booze)...

As for your question: I wouldn't say I was totally successful, but it's as close as I can get if you know what I mean. She does love to have a listen every once in a while and had some good input while we were auditioning the SFs - for a noob that is.

LOL....she may very well be the one indeed :-) I can envision getting speaker upgrade approval from her, as long as I keep her flow of Coach Purses coming, along with whatever else it is that wives love. (Ring upgrades? **shudders in fear**)

Quote:

It's often said that cables need to break in, so if that's true I agree to give it some time. I have found that differences show up more further down the chain, at least to my semi-audiophile ears.

I'm pretty sure you've crossed into full audiophile territory long ago!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scout's staff View Post

My wife is starting to get it, but she still claims that she would be fine with a 13" black and white TV that she used in college. However, she is the first one to remind me to turn on the system when we watch football. I think she likes the stadium sound/energy that it brings.

On the plus side - she is very supportive of the hobby and is nudging me to get the second sub with the Christmas and birthday money recently received. In addition, not very many wives would let you install 8 decent size speakers in the walls of your main living room.

Ah, your situation is ideal!!! She's encouraging you to get a second sub? AND she allowed 8 in-wall speakers in the living room?

Deep down inside, she could not live with a 13" b&w television!!!

The Build:
| The System:
| The Video Series:

Social:
|
|
|
|
post #387 of 3327 Old 01-21-2012, 03:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I'm pretty sure you've crossed into full audiophile territory long ago!

Intellectually, philosophically, no. Psychologically, perhaps. I'm not obsessed with having to have the best anything, nor am I in constant upgrade mode, but hanging around forums is dangerous as I could be moved to a purchase eventually; the preamp would be next if that happened, as I've been hanging out some at a forum thread or two about the McIntosh C48. Parasound's JC2 is also on the screen, maybe even the JC3 phono stage. I'm aware of the danger!

I don't recall hearing a difference between cables when inserted from source to preamp, but others report glowingly about that. The places I've heard diferences in a limited way are between preamp/power amp and, to a greater degree, speaker cables. And I didn't necessarily go into "critical" mode to hear them. I have some old Tara Labs Quantum 4 interconnects I'd like to hear on my 501s with that bass organ pedal example mentioned previously. I remember how full and powerful those bass pedals were with the B&Ks; the only reason I'm not using the Quantum 4 now is it's too thick to fit comfortably through the slots in the back of my TV console, which is why I want to get rid of the console, plus better equipment access. I destroyed one Q4 pair trying to squeeze them through the slots, hence the AQ King Cobra and Black Mamba II.

So you may be right about my slippage, but it hasn't reach the definitive portion of my brain just yet. I also know that financial constraints will keep me from getting ridiculous, though perhaps not from an occasional hit-and-run.

post #388 of 3327 Old 01-24-2012, 07:58 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Intellectually, philosophically, no. Psychologically, perhaps. I'm not obsessed with having to have the best anything, nor am I in constant upgrade mode, but hanging around forums is dangerous as I could be moved to a purchase eventually; the preamp would be next if that happened, as I've been hanging out some at a forum thread or two about the McIntosh C48. Parasound's JC2 is also on the screen, maybe even the JC3 phono stage. I'm aware of the danger!

I don't recall hearing a difference between cables when inserted from source to preamp, but others report glowingly about that. The places I've heard diferences in a limited way are between preamp/power amp and, to a greater degree, speaker cables. And I didn't necessarily go into "critical" mode to hear them. I have some old Tara Labs Quantum 4 interconnects I'd like to hear on my 501s with that bass organ pedal example mentioned previously. I remember how full and powerful those bass pedals were with the B&Ks; the only reason I'm not using the Quantum 4 now is it's too thick to fit comfortably through the slots in the back of my TV console, which is why I want to get rid of the console, plus better equipment access. I destroyed one Q4 pair trying to squeeze them through the slots, hence the AQ King Cobra and Black Mamba II.

So you may be right about my slippage, but it hasn't reach the definitive portion of my brain just yet. I also know that financial constraints will keep me from getting ridiculous, though perhaps not from an occasional hit-and-run.

That makes perfect sense. Your gear is certainly audiophile-grade though. The gear is very carefully thought out and selected.

The Build:
| The System:
| The Video Series:

Social:
|
|
|
|
post #389 of 3327 Old 01-24-2012, 08:01 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Ladies and Gents,

I am proud to announce that, after two years of sitting on the sidelines, I have finally taken the dive into 3D projection.

A JVC DLA-RS45U is on its way to my doorstep!!!!

....More to follow, upon arrival.

The Build:
| The System:
| The Video Series:

Social:
|
|
|
|
post #390 of 3327 Old 01-24-2012, 11:24 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:

Ladies and Gents,

I am proud to announce that, after two years of sitting on the sidelines, I have finally taken the dive into 3D projection.

A JVC DLA-RS45U is on its way to my doorstep!!!!

....More to follow, upon arrival.

Very cool! I visited a friend tonight with an RS-45. It compares very favorably to my RS-55. The 55 has a little more sharpness and smoothness, but the differences are, (IMO, and pre professional calibration), pretty subtle. You are going to LOVE your new projector!

Congrats!!!

Lombardi said it:

Reply What's Your System Configuration

Tags
Emotiva Xpr 1 , Marantz Av8801 , Jvc Dla Rs66 , Cambridge Audio Azur Dacmagic 100 Silver , Oppo Bdp 105 Blu Ray Player , Panamax M5300 Pm 11 Outlet Clean Power Level 4 Black
Gear in this thread - Av8801 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page