post #391 of 3327 Old 01-25-2012, 02:35 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 154 Post(s)
Liked: 296
Quote:
Originally Posted by craig john View Post

Very cool! I visited a friend tonight with an RS-45. It compares very favorably to my RS-55. The 55 has a little more sharpness and smoothness, but the differences are, (IMO, and pre professional calibration), pretty subtle. You are going to LOVE your new projector!

Congrats!!!

Thanks Craig! Given the premium cost of the RS55, I'm glad the difference are subtle. That makes me feel like I got a great value. I'm waiting until 4k becomes ubiquitous before springing for a RS55-level product.

I"m quite excited!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #392 of 3327 Old 01-25-2012, 07:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Congrats! Awesome PJ, you will love it!
post #393 of 3327 Old 01-25-2012, 07:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrolicBeast View Post

Ladies and Gents,

I am proud to announce that, after two years of sitting on the sidelines, I have finally taken the dive into 3D projection.

A JVC DLA-RS45U is on its way to my doorstep!!!!

....More to follow, upon arrival.

Your Oppo 95 does 3D, does it not? So you're ready to go. Congratulations on the projector purchase. What tipped you over the edge, as it were? And how big a screen is this?
post #394 of 3327 Old 01-25-2012, 09:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 55
Quote:

Ladies and Gents,

I am proud to announce that, after two years of sitting on the sidelines, I have finally taken the dive into 3D projection.

Great! I went 3d about a month back, I'm liking it it. My daughter is getting married so I gotta watch the discretionary spending. I "comprimised" by getting an optoma hd33. Imo, very good image for the $

post #395 of 3327 Old 01-25-2012, 11:27 AM

Liked: 10
Quote:

Ladies and Gents,

You're killing me BrolicBeast. First the 80.3, then thoughts of an Anthem P5, ... and now this?!?!? BTW, I thought long and hard about the P5 but went with the A5 instead. At that point in time with a kitchen reno going on, I had to leave some money aside for other things, like food and water.

Congrats on the JVC. My RS20 is getting old, but it still puts out a picture that is very very close to my Elite plasma. So you did well going with JVC. Anthem and Pioneer (for the 2 weeks they were in the projector business) thought enough of JVC to re-badge them as their own.

I need to put in more hours at work so that I can step up my game to your level.

Ridding the world of ferrets, one stinking critter at a time.

My Ferret-Free Setup
post #396 of 3327 Old 01-25-2012, 11:31 AM

Liked: 10
Quote:

Have any of you folks here on WYSC been successful in pulling your significant other into this hobby?

Some guys have all the luck! My wife is happy with a 20" CRT and a Sony mp3 player. My tastes are of course, more refined. At least she lets me buy whatever I want.

Ridding the world of ferrets, one stinking critter at a time.

My Ferret-Free Setup
post #397 of 3327 Old 01-25-2012, 06:30 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Thanks All! I haven't been this amped in quite some time. I'm currently in talks to get it calibrated by someone local from this site who seems to really know what he's doing.

Speaking of which.....if anyone's on the market for a highly-rated Mitsubishi HC7000 with a Lamp that's only about 6 months old.....PM me.....
post #398 of 3327 Old 01-25-2012, 06:50 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddgtr View Post

Congrats! Awesome PJ, you will love it!

Gracias! There are two things I cannot wait to try on it: 1) Halo: CE Anniversary in 3D, and 2) Avatar in 2D. I spent every free second in my office today thinking of the first movies I'll watch on it, and which 360/PS3 games I own that support 3D so I can replay them.....

....not that I have much free time at work. But when it does pop up, I take it!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by prepress View Post

Your Oppo 95 does 3D, does it not? So you're ready to go. Congratulations on the projector purchase. What tipped you over the edge, as it were? And how big a screen is this?

Thanks prepress!!! Yes indeed, the Oppo BDP-95 does indeed do 3D...and with aplomb, from what I've read! My projector screen is 92"....I'll probably be upgrading to a Screen Innovations Black Diamond Zero Edge screen this summer.

What tipped the scales? Although I love my current projector, I wanted reference-quality picture to go with the reference-quality audio setup that [I like to think] I am slowwwwwly building!

Quote:
Originally Posted by g_bartman View Post

Great! I went 3d about a month back, I'm liking it it. My daughter is getting married so I gotta watch the discretionary spending. I "comprimised" by getting an optoma hd33. Imo, very good image for the $

Ahhh a fellow recent 3D convert. Hey, that Optoma was a great choice. I think it has a CMS, which makes it a steal at that price!!

Congrats on the forthcoming wedding of you daughter!!! Make sure to capture the ceremony on a 4k camera so, ten years from now, the whole family can sit and enjoy in pristine 4k!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by FerretHunter View Post

You're killing me BrolicBeast. First the 80.3, then thoughts of an Anthem P5, ... and now this?!?!? BTW, I thought long and hard about the P5 but went with the A5 instead. At that point in time with a kitchen reno going on, I had to leave some money aside for other things, like food and water.

Congrats on the JVC. My RS20 is getting old, but it still puts out a picture that is very very close to my Elite plasma. So you did well going with JVC. Anthem and Pioneer (for the 2 weeks they were in the projector business) thought enough of JVC to re-badge them as their own.

I need to put in more hours at work so that I can step up my game to your level.

LOL....dude, you have the entire Paradigm Signature Series!!! I need to step my game up just to see your level from afar! lol

Yeah, that Statement P5 is a monster, but it also now lists for 7500. Now it's drifting into Classe territory.....and as you said, you have to at least be able to afford food and water after an amp purchase. Going with the A5 was very smart!

Quote:
Originally Posted by FerretHunter View Post

Some guys have all the luck! My wife is happy with a 20" CRT and a Sony mp3 player. My tastes are of course, more refined. At least she lets me buy whatever I want.

Man, as long as they say "yes," I suppose whether they enjoy it or not is moot, eh?

LOL....a 20" CRT though? Let her watch "Sex and the City" or....what's this new one out...."Real Housewives of [insert random city here]" on the projector for a week. She may start begging you to throw a Projector into your B-room!
post #399 of 3327 Old 01-26-2012, 06:47 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

After over a week with the Audioquest Black Mamba II, I must say--it is pretty cool.....bass is DEFINITELY tighter. :-D
post #400 of 3327 Old 01-27-2012, 03:18 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I am in the car.....just picked the RS45 from FedEx........I hope people in my life understand my sudden disappearance, beard growth, and loss of communication skills after this weekend is over. :-D
post #401 of 3327 Old 01-27-2012, 04:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

After over a week with the Audioquest Black Mamba II, I must say--it is pretty cool.....bass is DEFINITELY tighter. :-D

Aha. Speaking of BM II, I was marveling at Stanley Clarke's bass on the blu-ray of Return to Forever: Live at Montreaux a while back. "Tight" is right. And clean, to boot. As mentioned, I have BM II on my main BD player (Pioneer BDP-09FD), and see no reason to change it.
post #402 of 3327 Old 01-28-2012, 10:43 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Aha. Speaking of BM II, I was marveling at Stanley Clarke's bass on the blu-ray of Return to Forever: Live at Montreaux a while back. "Tight" is right. And clean, to boot. As mentioned, I have BM II on my main BD player (Pioneer BDP-09FD), and see no reason to change it.

Yes indeed...."tight" AND "clean" are excellent qualities for a lover of bass like myself! I am more than satisfied with the Black Mamba II. Well worth the price, which itself is far from substantial.
post #403 of 3327 Old 01-28-2012, 10:44 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

First impressions of the JVC DLA-RS45 are coming soon.....for 2D and 3D.
post #404 of 3327 Old 01-29-2012, 07:44 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

The "JVC DLA-RS45 Unboxing Video & First Impressions" video is live.

post #405 of 3327 Old 01-29-2012, 10:25 AM
AVS Special Member

I'm not a 3D person, but I have heard that 3D sets do 2D very well; it sounds like projectors do too. Very good. You could get one for just that and have the 3D option if you want. That was my approach to BD players. I wanted an excellent DVD player and BD was a bonus.

It sounds as if 2D movies will be watched that way. In my limited contact with these things, I've also heard that most attempts at converting are so-so. I think that helps fuel the "gimmick" status some ascribe to 3D. As for the 3D emitter cord, I'm imagining an extension is out of the question?
post #406 of 3327 Old 01-29-2012, 11:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 87 Post(s)
Liked: 68
I was equally impressed when I purchased my RS-40 last year. Coming from a Panasonic AE900 several years ago, the size alone blew me away. My everyday viewing is done on a Elite Kuro and my RS-40 does an exceptional job for a FP. Not as good of a job as the Kuro, but that is hard to duplicate..

Did you decide to hold off on speakers for now? I remember several months back you were considering some GE Tritons. My speaker hunt took me down the GE road, but ultimately I went with a pair of RF-82II and the RC-64II. Next up is an upgrade to the RF-7's and a new sub..

Enjoy your projector. IMO, JVC is THE best bang for the buck in FP..
post #407 of 3327 Old 01-29-2012, 11:57 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I'm not a 3D person, but I have heard that 3D sets do 2D very well; it sounds like projectors do too. Very good. You could get one for just that and have the 3D option if you want. That was my approach to BD players. I wanted an excellent DVD player and BD was a bonus.

It sounds as if 2D movies will be watched that way. In my limited contact with these things, I've also heard that most attempts at converting are so-so. I think that helps fuel the "gimmick" status some ascribe to 3D. As for the 3D emitter cord. I'm imagining an extension is out of the question?

Yeah, I think 2D-to-3D conversion is difficult in general because depth is difficult to "translate" outside of a studio-environment. I could be wrong though. 3D is good on this projector, but 2-D will certainly be the primary function of this RS45, and in that regard, the RS45 performs superbly!

I can extend the 3D emitter cord; however, I have to splice it with a compatible cord and re-terminate at the end. I'm thinking about just leaving it on the ground next to the couch behind the 2nd subwoofer, and placing it on the couch-cushions when I want 3-D. Inelegant? yes. Pragmatic?? yesssss.

Quote:
Originally Posted by COACH2369 View Post

I was equally impressed when I purchased my RS-40 last year. Coming from a Panasonic AE900 several years ago, the size alone blew me away. My everyday viewing is done on a Elite Kuro and my RS-40 does an exceptional job for a FP. Not as good of a job as the Kuro, but that is hard to duplicate..

Did you decide to hold off on speakers for now? I remember several months back you were considering some GE Tritons. My speaker hunt took me down the GE road, but ultimately I went with a pair of RF-82II and the RC-64II. Next up is an upgrade to the RF-7's and a new sub..

Enjoy your projector. IMO, JVC is THE best bang for the buck in FP..

Man, I'm sure you had to look twice when you opened the box and asked yourself "is it really that huge???" lol....big difference compared to the six and seven hundred-dollar business projector you see in stores like Best Buy.

I was heading to the GE Triton system, but now I'm leaning toward the Paradigm Studio 100v5's. I got a great quote from a dealer, but those things are still expensive!!! Just for the front soundstage I'd be spending nearly $5k. After this Projector purchase, those speakers won't be coming for quite some time. I figured I better lock in a reference projector while I can.....the speakers can always be bought one-by-one, if necessary.

Those RF7's have always been an impressive set. One look at those woofers is enough to make any A/V enthusiast grin. What kind of Sub are you looking at?
post #408 of 3327 Old 01-29-2012, 12:14 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

JVC DLA-RS45

post #409 of 3327 Old 01-29-2012, 12:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Yeah, I think 2D-to-3D conversion is difficult in general because depth is difficult to "translate" outside of a studio-environment. I could be wrong though. 3D is good on this projector, but 2-D will certainly be the primary function of this RS45, and in that regard, the RS45 performs superbly!

I can extend the 3D emitter cord; however, I have to splice it with a compatible cord and re-terminate at the end. I'm thinking about just leaving it on the ground next to the couch behind the 2nd subwoofer, and placing it on the couch-cushions when I want 3-D. Inelegant? yes. Pragmatic?? yesssss.

Then I'd say simply get as much of the cord out of sight as possible, put the emitter in the safest location (don't want the cat to play with it) and live with the result until you can change it properly. But at least you've made progress. with your setup.
post #410 of 3327 Old 01-29-2012, 01:00 PM
AVS Special Member

[quote=
Those RF7's have always been an impressive set. One look at those woofers is enough to make any A/V enthusiast grin. What kind of Sub are you looking at?[/QUOTE]

Paradigm was also on my list but I couldn't find a local dealer that had the setup I was most interested in on display.

The 7's would be a tad tight in my current living room, but they will be going into our new house for sure. Hopefully I can get approval to buy them before we start getting things for the new house. The rest of my equipment will work just fine in the new room with the exception of the screen and rears. I will be upgrading both depending on how I lay the room out.

As far as subs go, the HSU VTF-15H is on my short list.. I had a 10" HSU for over 7 years and it died. So I replaced it with an used Axiom 12" and it is doing an "ok" job for now..
post #411 of 3327 Old 01-30-2012, 01:09 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Coach, that HSU VTF-15 is a monster!!! Top reviews across the board!
post #412 of 3327 Old 01-30-2012, 01:10 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Lumagen Radiance Mini-3D is on the way!!!! CMS, eat your heart out!!!
post #413 of 3327 Old 01-30-2012, 01:52 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:

I was heading to the GE Triton system, but now I'm leaning toward the Paradigm Studio 100v5's. I got a great quote from a dealer, but those things are still expensive!!! Just for the front soundstage I'd be spending nearly $5k. After this Projector purchase, those speakers won't be coming for quite some time. I figured I better lock in a reference projector while I can.....the speakers can always be bought one-by-one, if necessary.

Those RF7's have always been an impressive set. One look at those woofers is enough to make any A/V enthusiast grin. What kind of Sub are you looking at?

have you listened to any of the B&W CMs? I think they compare favorably with the studio 100s.
post #414 of 3327 Old 01-30-2012, 01:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Coach, that HSU VTF-15 is a monster!!! Top reviews across the board!

The size of it might be what holds me back from getting it until we are in the new place. Now, the RF-7's appear to be in the mix after doing some measurements over the weekend...

I have high hopes for the RF-7's and the VTF-15 playing nice together.

How is the new projector after a weekend of playing?

Thanks.
post #415 of 3327 Old 01-30-2012, 03:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 31
This is an Amazing set up!! You also did a terrific job on the videos as well!
Awesome stuff all around!
post #416 of 3327 Old 01-30-2012, 04:17 PM
AVS Special Member

post #417 of 3327 Old 01-30-2012, 04:21 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:

Just to mess with things...

https://dealersource.sel.sony.com/ds...e_theater.html

post #418 of 3327 Old 01-31-2012, 03:36 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmaschm View Post

have you listened to any of the B&W CMs? I think they compare favorably with the studio 100s.

I've listened to the CM9s but I wasn't too impressed. Midrange was great, but the treble didnt excite me the way my current Klipsch speakers do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by COACH2369 View Post

The size of it might be what holds me back from getting it until we are in the new place. Now, the RF-7's appear to be in the mix after doing some measurements over the weekend...

I have high hopes for the RF-7's and the VTF-15 playing nice together.

How is the new projector after a weekend of playing?

Thanks.

LOL@ the "thanks" at the end of that post...you must work for the government. LOL. The projector is great....awaiting a Lumagen Radiance video processor to arrive so I can get it calibrated, after which, the picture should surpass that of the RS55.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunga99 View Post

This is an Amazing set up!! You also did a terrific job on the videos as well!
Awesome stuff all around!

Thanks Bunga99! I appreciate the kind words. :-)

Quote:

Just to mess with things...

https://dealersource.sel.sony.com/ds...e_theater.html

LOL.....I've been following this projector very closely!! I've read all the reviews multiple times....yearning for this monster!!! True 4K....all that's missing is the source material. The $24k pricetag is poisonous and thus, impossible to swallow. Lol
post #419 of 3327 Old 01-31-2012, 12:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

LOL.....I've been following this projector very closely!! I've read all the reviews multiple times....yearning for this monster!!! True 4K....all that's missing is the source material. The $24k pricetag is poisonous and thus, impossible to swallow. Lol

I wouldn't even TRY to swallow it. Besides, I'm not enough of a film buff and have no means of setting it up anyway. You can keep an eye on it, and by the time you are ready (if that time comes), perhaps the price will be low enough.
post #420 of 3327 Old 01-31-2012, 05:36 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I wouldn't even TRY to swallow it. Besides, I'm not enough of a film buff and have no means of setting it up anyway. You can keep an eye on it, and by the time you are ready (if that time comes), perhaps the price will be low enough.

I shan't be touching another projector for about half a decade. By that time, I expect 4K to be more mainstream. From what I hear, this projector is actually on insane backorder. Looks like the well-heeled A/V fans are soaking this up.
Reply What's Your System Configuration

Tags
Emotiva Xpr 1 , Marantz Av8801 , Jvc Dla Rs66 , Cambridge Audio Azur Dacmagic 100 Silver , Oppo Bdp 105 Blu Ray Player , Panamax M5300 Pm 11 Outlet Clean Power Level 4 Black
Gear in this thread - Av8801 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page