post #511 of 3327 Old 04-16-2012, 05:06 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrolicBeast View Post

Mike and Dharel, I most certainly appreciate the input on the Auralex....I'm going to go ahead and order a Gramma. I notice you guys, and many others, use the Gramma instead of the SubDue--any particular reason?

The Auralex products come in various sizes. The SubDude, I believe, is the smallest. The Gramma is the mid size and the Great Gramma the largest.

The Gramma, which is 23" long x 15" wide x 2.75" high, is the prefect size for my sub.

Check out this page for more info.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #512 of 3327 Old 05-09-2012, 10:10 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 183 Post(s)
Liked: 310
Quote:
Originally Posted by dharel View Post

The Auralex products come in various sizes. The SubDude, I believe, is the smallest. The Gramma is the mid size and the Great Gramma the largest.

The Gramma, which is 23" long x 15" wide x 2.75" high, is the prefect size for my sub.

Check out this page for more info.

Thanks for the explanation dharel...I have a Gramma on the way!!!!

The Build:
| The System:
| The Video Series:

Social:
|
|
|
|
post #513 of 3327 Old 05-09-2012, 10:16 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Hey all, I've just repainted the room that used to be a guest room and I'm getting the carpet ripped up and hardwood floors placed in there next week. Now, its decision time. The choices are : 1) Office or a 2) dedicated Listening Room, 3) 16:9 dedicated projection theater (with a 2:35 screen in the main viewing area)

I'm leaning toward listening room, but would have to go the acoustic panel treatment route, of which I am clueless.

Any thoughts? Has anobody faced this or a similar dillemma. The room is pretty small, so secondary theater isn't the no-brainer that it should be.

The Build:
| The System:
| The Video Series:

Social:
|
|
|
|
post #514 of 3327 Old 05-09-2012, 10:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 32
If you are gonna go either dedicated HT or Listening room, I would strongly suggest contacting Bryan Pape at http://www.gikacoustics.com/

You can send him pictures of your room, room dimensions and what you plan to use the room for and he will recommend speaker/sub placement as well where to place acoustic panels vs diffusion panels.

post #515 of 3327 Old 05-09-2012, 12:17 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunga99 View Post

If you are gonna go either dedicated HT or Listening room, I would strongly suggest contacting Bryan Pape at http://www.gikacoustics.com/

You can send him pictures of your room, room dimensions and what you plan to use the room for and he will recommend speaker/sub placement as well where to place acoustic panels vs diffusion panels.

That's some great info...I will cook up something in Visio and shoot it to Bryan. Thanks Bunga!

The Build:
| The System:
| The Video Series:

Social:
|
|
|
|
post #516 of 3327 Old 05-27-2012, 07:02 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Room #2

Hey all,

I have made a major decision. I'm going to go with a 2:35:1 screen in the living room theater (I'm tired of those black bars) and I will have a dedicated theater room (Plasma, not projection) for all 16x9 content. I'll track the making of this secondary room (formerly a guest room) below:

Getting Ready to Paint:

Painting complete (Benjamin Moore: Georgian Brick)--Now to rip up that carpet....

Began populating the room with a grad-shool era gear as placeholders (Sharp flat-panel and infinity tower speaker system)

Another shot of the front (Oppo BDP-93, Denon AVR 4310CI, et.)

So this will be my 16x9 room. I still have to get a recliner (already ordered) and i MUST put decent gear in here. I"ll keep the Emotiva X12 subwoofer, but I'm looking at four Aperion 5T towers center, and a Panasoni 65" plasma, which--in a room this size, will fill my field of visions similarly to a projection system (theoretically).

I have some major updates coming for the main system downstairs....posts are forthcoming......

The Build:
| The System:
| The Video Series:

Social:
|
|
|
|
post #517 of 3327 Old 05-28-2012, 02:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 60
So no dedicated listening room, then? Or is that what the main downstairs will be (maybe semi-dedicated)?

post #518 of 3327 Old 05-28-2012, 08:58 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by prepress View Post

So no dedicated listening room, then? Or is that what the main downstairs will be (maybe semi-dedicated)?

Well--I wanted to make it a dedicated listening room--but there's the problem...the width of the listening area doesn't lend itself to as wide a soundstage as I'm used to. Thus--my listening will have to remain focused in the main theater, which I won't mind. :-) :-) I get to upgrade! I'm looking seriously at Salk Soundscape 8's for mains--although there are a number of contenders in the pool now.

I'm also going to use Bunga's GIK Acoustic suggestion for both rooms....I think creatively adding acoustic panels will go a long way to improving the sound that I already love from my system.

The Build:
| The System:
| The Video Series:

Social:
|
|
|
|
post #519 of 3327 Old 06-01-2012, 07:23 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
So where will you do most of your gaming? New room or old room?
post #520 of 3327 Old 06-01-2012, 05:28 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmaschm View Post

So where will you do most of your gaming? New room or old room?

Most gaming will take place in Room #2, except for games like call of duty that allow you to set the aspect ratio. I"ll set those games to the 2:35 and play in the main theater. (I have two of each gaming system for this purpose, albeit for an earlier idea that never panned out.)

The Build:
| The System:
| The Video Series:

Social:
|
|
|
|
post #521 of 3327 Old 06-01-2012, 06:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 101
Saw all your videos on youtube. Great progression to your current set up!

No subwoofer I've heard has been able to produce the bass I've experienced in the Corps!

Must..stop...buying...every bluray release...
post #522 of 3327 Old 06-01-2012, 07:49 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pokekevin View Post

Saw all your videos on youtube. Great progression to your current set up!

I appreciate it man!!! There's something special about a person's carefully chosen set of equipment. :-D

The Build:
| The System:
| The Video Series:

Social:
|
|
|
|
post #523 of 3327 Old 06-02-2012, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrolicBeast View Post

I appreciate it man!!! There's something special about a person's carefully chosen set of equipment. :-D

More videos! Lets see your place.
post #524 of 3327 Old 06-02-2012, 01:17 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmaschm View Post

More videos! Lets see your place.

Lol...I've got one coming of the new room #2. The leather recliner just came this morning....its a beauty! I'm just waiting for more cable conduits to clean up the nest of wires along g the left wall and behind the TV stand....also waiting for a better stand. LOL.

The Build:
| The System:
| The Video Series:

Social:
|
|
|
|
post #525 of 3327 Old 06-07-2012, 10:52 AM

Liked: 10
Hi BrolicBeast, you have a great a/v gear and passion for home theater, congratulations!

I have a question, how black is the black level of the the JVC DLA RS45 properly calibrated
in 2D? In many online reviews the overall image is called how "film like" or analog instead of digital in the JVC projectors
is this true? and how is the 3D of this projector?

Thanks, and keep posting new videos on youtube please!! tongue.gif
post #526 of 3327 Old 06-08-2012, 03:08 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by malis0931 View Post

Hi BrolicBeast, you have a great a/v gear and passion for home theater, congratulations!
I have a question, how black is the black level of the the JVC DLA RS45 properly calibrated
in 2D? In many online reviews the overall image is called how "film like" or analog instead of digital in the JVC projectors
is this true? and how is the 3D of this projector?
Thanks, and keep posting new videos on youtube please!! tongue.gif

Greetings Malis!! Thanks for the kind words about the gear and especially the videos. Those are a lot of fun to make. cool.gif The black levels of the JVC DLA RS45 in 2D are extremely black, and the colors and contrast with the Lumagen Calibration exceed satisfaction at every turn. Also, the "normal" lamp mode is nearly as bright as the high lamp mode in my previous projector (The razor-sharp Mitubishi HC7000). The "film-like" descriptor is difficult to describe.....The best way I can put it is that you feel like you're in a movie theater, with a certain....warmth? to the picture. That's the best way I can put it. The 3D on this projector is NOT very good on this projector. There's a lot of ghosting, but--if you can look past that, the 3D performance is livable. I don't use it often; and 2D is where the RS45 truly shines. If you're considering it, you won't be sorry. If you pick up a Lumagen Radiance processor, you'll be in visual heaven. I won't be upgrading this projector for a very, very long time.
malis0931 likes this.

The Build:
| The System:
| The Video Series:

Social:
|
|
|
|
post #527 of 3327 Old 06-08-2012, 03:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 101
Forgot to ask, is the RS45 professionally calibrated??

No subwoofer I've heard has been able to produce the bass I've experienced in the Corps!

Must..stop...buying...every bluray release...
post #528 of 3327 Old 06-09-2012, 09:07 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pokekevin View Post

Forgot to ask, is the RS45 professionally calibrated??

Yes sir! Tom Huffman, ISF certified creator of the ChromaPure calibration software came by (for a very reasonable fee, I might add) and fully calibrated the RS45+Lumagen Radiance Video Processor Combination. It's the same projector/processor combination that he actually uses in his dedicated theater setup, so I was able to benefit from some of his own personal lessons learned.

The Build:
| The System:
| The Video Series:

Social:
|
|
|
|
post #529 of 3327 Old 06-09-2012, 09:12 AM

Thanks you very much for your helpful response! biggrin.gif
post #530 of 3327 Old 06-10-2012, 02:42 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by malis0931 View Post

Thanks you very much for your helpful response! biggrin.gif

No problem! I'm glad I could help!

The Build:
| The System:
| The Video Series:

Social:
|
|
|
|
post #531 of 3327 Old 06-10-2012, 02:51 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I have an odd confession that I fear may throw dirt in the face of audiophile world: I prefer recorded vocal music to live vocal music! Why? When you view a live performance and the performer is utilizing a microphone, you're already hearing a reproduction of that artist's voice through whatever amplifier/speaker that is being used at the time. Now, I do understand--something is lost in the recording process of that performance; however, I believe that any recorded performance played over great audio components is better than a live performance through average mic/amp/speakers. Now, classical music and jazz music is very different. Nothing can match a great classical concert in a hall with superb acoustics, but hi-fi systems do come pretty close. OK--my confession is over.

The Build:
| The System:
| The Video Series:

Social:
|
|
|
|
post #532 of 3327 Old 06-12-2012, 05:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Maybe a BSG technologies QOL signal completion stage is what you need to reclaim the hidden info on the recordings . . .

I think of live not as reproduction but simply amplification (and perhaps distortion) of the voice. A good venue with good acoustics helps a lot, such as the Allen Room at Jazz at Lincoln Center here in NY. The type of music can make a difference too, as you suggest. Oops, break time's over. Back to work!

post #533 of 3327 Old 06-18-2012, 12:46 PM

Great looking setup Brolic! One day I wish to have something as boss as what you got going on. Well done!
post #534 of 3327 Old 06-20-2012, 12:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Brolic Beast,

Speaking of cables, the PS Audios must be broken in fully by now. Has the sound changed any?

post #535 of 3327 Old 06-23-2012, 11:15 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kberta View Post

Great looking setup Brolic! One day I wish to have something as boss as what you got going on. Well done!

Many thanks unto thee! those words definitely mean a lot! :-D
Quote:
Originally Posted by prepress View Post

Brolic Beast,
Speaking of cables, the PS Audios must be broken in fully by now. Has the sound changed any?

Greetings Prepress! Man, the cost of those BSG's you mentioned in your previous post are a bit steep for what they allegedly offer. I"m very wary of devices like those, although I felt the same way about power cables until I upgraded.....The PS-Audio definitely made a positive difference in my XPA-5 Amplifier, although I can't say whether the AC3 made a difference in the Oppo BDO-95 it's connected to, since I ordered them at the same time and never used the original power cable. What I'd like to do one day is have a listen-off between the PS Audio AC5 Power Cable and the Pangea Audio AC9 Power Cable. I wonder if the difference in price between the two cables would be worth it.

How are your new Wire Worlds treating you? Those are some darn good-looking cables man.

The Build:
| The System:
| The Video Series:

Social:
|
|
|
|
post #536 of 3327 Old 06-23-2012, 11:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrolicBeast View Post

Many thanks unto thee! those words definitely mean a lot! :-D
Greetings Prepress! Man, the cost of those BSG's you mentioned in your previous post are a bit steep for what they allegedly offer. I"m very wary of devices like those, although I felt the same way about power cables until I upgraded.....The PS-Audio definitely made a positive difference in my XPA-5 Amplifier, although I can't say whether the AC3 made a difference in the Oppo BDO-95 it's connected to, since I ordered them at the same time and never used the original power cable. What I'd like to do one day is have a listen-off between the PS Audio AC5 Power Cable and the Pangea Audio AC9 Power Cable. I wonder if the difference in price between the two cables would be worth it.
How are your new Wire Worlds treating you? Those are some darn good-looking cables man.

The February issue of The Absolute Sound has a highly positive review of the BSG QOL device; theirs is not the only one as I understand it. I saw/heard an online demo of it, too. Apparently it's the real deal; it's also $3995, albeit with a 30-day return guarantee.

Conventional wisdom in some audio circles says put the best power cables on the amps, then next best on the preamp, then next on sources. The Wireworld Stratus is the entry-level cord, but has made an audible improvement in the sound of my Pioneer 111FD plasma. More open, more detail, i like it. Catching a sale, I got a pair of WW Electras for my amps (2 steps up in WW's line). Also an improvement and of the same type, though the cords aren't broken in yet. I may go all Wireworld for the gear that'll take them; my preamp has a captive cord, so it's a no go there...unless I replace it smile.gif. This blows my color scheme for power cords, since the Electra has a dark gold jacket; I was thinking of blue and green (blue Stratus and green Kimber PK10s). I do now have all Pangea HD-26Ls for my HDMI needs, at least (black/blue braided jackets; good cables too).

If the Oppo 95 is like the 83, you got a 14AWG cord with it. The PS Audio AC-3 is 12AWG, I believe, and constructed differently. There may well be a difference. But, good sound does not live by gauge alone (well, I DID just finish tomorrow's Sunday school lesson).

post #537 of 3327 Old 06-24-2012, 06:16 PM

post #538 of 3327 Old 06-24-2012, 06:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked: 437
[If the Oppo 95 is like the 83, you got a 14AWG cord with it. The PS Audio AC-3 is 10AWG, I believe, and constructed differently. There may well be a difference. But, good sound does not live by gauge alone (well, I DID just finish tomorrow's Sunday school lesson).[/quote]

The AC-3 is 12awg:)
post #539 of 3327 Old 06-25-2012, 02:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by audiofan1 View Post

[If the Oppo 95 is like the 83, you got a 14AWG cord with it. The PS Audio AC-3 is 10AWG, I believe, and constructed differently. There may well be a difference. But, good sound does not live by gauge alone (well, I DID just finish tomorrow's Sunday school lesson).
The AC-3 is 12awg:)[/quote]

You're right. i had the AC-5 briefly and confused it with the AC-3 when I posted before.

post #540 of 3327 Old 06-30-2012, 11:28 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by audiofan1 View Post

[If the Oppo 95 is like the 83, you got a 14AWG cord with it. The PS Audio AC-3 is 10AWG, I believe, and constructed differently. There may well be a difference. But, good sound does not live by gauge alone (well, I DID just finish tomorrow's Sunday school lesson).
The AC-3 is 12awg:)[/quote]

Hey Prepress and Audofan1, the BDP95 actually comes with a very different power cable than the 83 and even the 93. the 3 series come with the two-pronged power cable of rather thin gauge; however, the 5 series comes with a thicker, grounded (three-pronged) cable. The AC3 is definitely an improvement over all the cables though.

The Build:
| The System:
| The Video Series:

Social:
|
|
|
|
Reply What's Your System Configuration

Tags
Emotiva Xpr 1 , Marantz Av8801 , Jvc Dla Rs66 , Cambridge Audio Azur Dacmagic 100 Silver , Oppo Bdp 105 Blu Ray Player , Panamax M5300 Pm 11 Outlet Clean Power Level 4 Black
Gear in this thread - Av8801 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page