BrolicBeast's Living Room Theater - Page 3 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #61 of 3327 Old 03-06-2011, 10:36 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 187 Post(s)
Liked: 312
Just for kicks...this was my first attempt at Home Theater from my grad-school days:

http://reviews.cnet.com/4520-10167_7...content;rb_mtx

The Build:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
| The System:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
| The Video Series:

Social:
|
|
|
|
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 3327 Old 03-06-2011, 07:58 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

So my Theater is in disaster-mode right now. Moved all the gear out, awaiting the new rack this week. I'm going through big-screen withdrawal right now. Thank goodness for the media room system to hold me over until the rack comes.

The Build:
| The System:
| The Video Series:

Social:
|
|
|
|
post #63 of 3327 Old 03-06-2011, 09:19 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have to say considering that you just started this thread on Feb 20th, this thread delivers! Have enjoyed all your posts so far and look forward to seeing your upgrades to come.

post #64 of 3327 Old 03-07-2011, 04:00 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hikarate View Post

I have to say considering that you just started this thread on Feb 20th, this thread delivers! Have enjoyed all your posts so far and look forward to seeing your upgrades to come.

Well thank you kindly! I appreciate the kind words--I'm just aiming to share my passion. My entire adult life, I've never been able to discuss or show my friends any of my gear, because to them--one black box is just the same as another black box. I'm so glad I was able to find this group here who, not only know understand the benefits of different Home Theater/HiFi equipment, but are passionate about it! Kudos to this entire WYSC Forum!!!

The Build:
| The System:
| The Video Series:

Social:
|
|
|
|
post #65 of 3327 Old 03-07-2011, 11:04 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrolicBeast View Post

Well thank you kindly! I appreciate the kind words--I'm just aiming to share my passion. My entire adult life, I've never been able to discuss or show my friends any of my gear, because to them--one black box is just the same as another black box. I'm so glad I was able to find this group here who, not only know understand the benefits of different Home Theater/HiFi equipment, but are passionate about it! Kudos to this entire WYSC Forum!!!

I know exactly what you mean. Most people don't get HT much more than "if you do have a projector: it's a HT". Although, I'm sure your visitors are routinely impressed when you let them hear what your ultra can do.
post #66 of 3327 Old 03-07-2011, 12:02 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 50
Quote:

I have had this same experience over the 35 years that I have had this electronics bug. Being able to discuss these topics with people who understand and share the same enthusiasm is rewarding. Not just being the person your friends go to with a technical question. lol

My meager set up

post #67 of 3327 Old 03-07-2011, 04:26 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

***Holds up glass of White Zinfandel in one hand, and a spool of speaker-wire in the other*** Cheers to my brothers and sisters in A/V circuitry!

The Build:
| The System:
| The Video Series:

Social:
|
|
|
|
post #68 of 3327 Old 03-07-2011, 05:05 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

While my theater is disassembled, awaiting the new rack, here are some pics of my upstairs media room (this room is fulfilling my entertainment needs until the rack comes for the downstairs theater)

Media Room

In-Ceiling Surrounds (Sonance Speakers)

In-Ceiling Right, Center, and Left channels (Sonance Speakers)

Panasonic Plasma

Side Profile - Media Closet closed

Side-Profile - Media Closet Opened

Monster Computer Rig i built--3X Nvdidia GTX285, Quad-Core Processor Overclocked to 4.2Ghz, 6 GB Tri-Channel Ram, 5 Terabytes of Hard-Drive storage. This is my baby!

Denon AVR 4310ci and Oppo BDP-83--these used to serve the downstairs theater. Now, they're waiting for me to insert them into the media room system I just haven't found the time.....

The Build:
| The System:
| The Video Series:

Social:
|
|
|
|
post #69 of 3327 Old 03-07-2011, 05:13 PM
Advanced Member

That media room would be great for most! I just listen to the Amanda Brown song Dreamer you suggested on youtube and it was great!! she has a beautiful voice. Thanks

My meager set up

post #70 of 3327 Old 03-07-2011, 05:16 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jnnt29 View Post

That media room would be great for most! I just listen to the Amanda Brown song Dreamer you suggested on youtube and it was great!! she has a beautiful voice. Thanks

Yeah, I've found that the media room gives a satisfying theater experience, although not mind-blowing like the downstairs theater gives. and YES!!! Amanda brown is spectacular--she's really an up-and-comer to keep an eye out for!!

The Build:
| The System:
| The Video Series:

Social:
|
|
|
|
post #71 of 3327 Old 03-08-2011, 06:00 AM
CIH USER

Quoted: 145 Post(s)
Liked: 205
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrolicBeast
Just for kicks...this was my first attempt at Home Theater from my grad-school days:

http://reviews.cnet.com/4520-10167_7...content;rb_mtx
I remember starting off with a Sony Stereo when I was married 14 years ago and I thought that was Home entertainment at it's best.

Btw From seeing your pics from the beginning of this thread, fantastic. Also how do you find the Sonance speakers ?

Frank

post #72 of 3327 Old 03-08-2011, 06:20 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franin View Post
I remember starting off with a Sony Stereo when I was married 14 years ago and I thought that was Home entertainment at it's best.

Btw From seeing your pics from the beginning of this thread, fantastic. Also how do you find the Sonance speakers ?
Hey Franin, I got those Sonance Speakers three years ago from www.vanns.com (no tax, free shipping) They were having some insane sale, and I bout ten pairs! I installed about half of them throughout the house, but I still have five pairs in boxes in my coat closet, begging to be used. lol.

The Build:
| The System:
| The Video Series:

Social:
|
|
|
|
post #73 of 3327 Old 03-08-2011, 07:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
Quote:
Right on Brolic, well said!! Cheers to that!!

post #74 of 3327 Old 03-08-2011, 08:07 AM
CIH USER

Quoted: 145 Post(s)
Liked: 205
Quote:

Hey Franin, I got those Sonance Speakers three years ago from www.vanns.com (no tax, free shipping) They were having some insane sale, and I bout ten pairs! I installed about half of them throughout the house, but I still have five pairs in boxes in my coat closet, begging to be used. lol.

It's great having to have music throughout the house. Have you installed any outside?

Frank

post #75 of 3327 Old 03-08-2011, 12:49 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franin View Post

It's great having to have music throughout the house. Have you installed any outside?

Unfortunately, these speakers are not waterproof, so i'm limited to indoors, but honestly--I don't mind. I don't spend that much time in the back-yard.

The Build:
| The System:
| The Video Series:

Social:
|
|
|
|
post #76 of 3327 Old 03-10-2011, 02:06 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Well, I canceled the rack order. It seems like the processing delay was a blessing!!! I had buyers remorse and realized the nearly 2K i spent on the racks could have been spent starting my journey to five Emotiva XPA-1's. I can always get the two 20 Amp circuits extended into the equipment room. As soon as the money is back in my account, I'll be pulling the Trigger on two XPA-1's. Two down, three to go!!!!

The Build:
| The System:
| The Video Series:

Social:
|
|
|
|
post #77 of 3327 Old 03-10-2011, 05:54 PM
Advanced Member

That is one serious Amp!!! That will rock the house! look forward to seeing how you like them.

My meager set up

post #78 of 3327 Old 03-11-2011, 02:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 60
Quote:

Well, I canceled the rack order. It seems like the processing delay was a blessing!!! I had buyers remorse and realized the nearly 2K i spent on the racks could have been spent starting my journey to five Emotiva XPA-1's. I can always get the two 20 Amp circuits extended into the equipment room. As soon as the money is back in my account, I'll be pulling the Trigger on two XPA-1's. Two down, three to go!!!!

500 wpc each. This will be serious sound when the setup is complete. I looked at XPA-1s (the company is in my hometown, too), and they are brutes. I don't know how loud you play your music, but I hope the neighbors are friendly, and the house well-constructed.

post #79 of 3327 Old 03-11-2011, 05:31 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Hey Broc,

Out of curosity, what is driving your desire to upgrade from the xpa 5? Are you looking for more volume than the xpa 5 can provide with your klipsch setup? I have the xpa 5 myself and have never even come close to to it's limits and my polks are much less efficent than your speakers.
post #80 of 3327 Old 03-11-2011, 01:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gelinas View Post
I know exactly what you mean. Most people don't get HT much more than "if you do have a projector: it's a HT". Although, I'm sure your visitors are routinely impressed when you let them hear what your ultra can do.
I remember an article in the NY Times some years back stating that, technically, it's an HT with at least a 27" screen.

post #81 of 3327 Old 03-11-2011, 03:23 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gelinas View Post

Hey Broc,

Out of curosity, what is driving your desire to upgrade from the xpa 5? Are you looking for more volume than the xpa 5 can provide with your klipsch setup? I have the xpa 5 myself and have never even come close to to it's limits and my polks are much less efficent than your speakers.

Hey Genilas!!

I want to upgrade to five XPA-1's because in my next house, I plan on having a rather large dedicated theater and I need to get all my dedicated theater gear NOW before I get married. I love the XPA-5, and will continue to use it with the XPA-1's to power width and height channels--bi-amped!!!

The Build:
| The System:
| The Video Series:

Social:
|
|
|
|
post #82 of 3327 Old 03-11-2011, 04:03 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by prepress View Post

500 wpc each. This will be serious sound when the setup is complete. I looked at XPA-1s (the company is in my hometown, too), and they are brutes. I don't know how loud you play your music, but I hope the neighbors are friendly, and the house well-constructed.

LOL....They are brutes indeed!!!! Thankfully, my neighbors have not complained, and I try to be considered during late-night listening sessions or movie watching. Key word is....try. Sometimes i can't help myself!

The Build:
| The System:
| The Video Series:

Social:
|
|
|
|
post #83 of 3327 Old 03-11-2011, 04:07 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

That is one serious Amp!!! That will rock the house! look forward to seeing how you like them.

The thunder-storms shall no longer exist in the sky. They shall come from my house!!! lol......Once they all arrive, I shall immediately post pictures. they look menacing--particularly with the Black trim-kits. I recently put the black trim on the XPA-5. It's funny how the trim-kit dramatically increases the aesthetics! I may post a pic for comparison!!

The Build:
| The System:
| The Video Series:

Social:
|
|
|
|
post #84 of 3327 Old 03-11-2011, 04:53 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Emotiva XPA-5 with stock trim.

XPA-5 w/ Black Trim

PS Audio AC5

The Cambridge Audio MagicDAC

The Reassembled Rack--slightly different configuration than before.

The Build:
| The System:
| The Video Series:

Social:
|
|
|
|
post #85 of 3327 Old 03-11-2011, 05:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
Quote:

PS Audio AC5

Holy shnikes Brolic, you could seriously hurt someone with that thing, it looks mean!!

post #86 of 3327 Old 03-11-2011, 06:06 PM
Advanced Member

You are a Home Theater God!! LOL! Rock the House.

My meager set up

post #87 of 3327 Old 03-11-2011, 06:14 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddgtr View Post

Holy shnikes Brolic, you could seriously hurt someone with that thing, it looks mean!!

LOLOL You should have seen my face when I pulled the package out of the Audio Advisor shipping box!!! I said "This is a Power Cord?" and I could almost swear it moved a little. It's a monster!!! lol

The Build:
| The System:
| The Video Series:

Social:
|
|
|
|
post #88 of 3327 Old 03-11-2011, 06:20 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

You are a Home Theater God!! LOL! Rock the House.

lolllll Thanks man, but I am FAR from such a noble title. Maybe in five more years, when i can afford dual JL Gotham 213's, a JVC RS60, and B&W 800 Diamond series speakers!.....Ok, maybe ten more years! lol........Ok...perhaps fifteen more years? lol.

The Build:
| The System:
| The Video Series:

Social:
|
|
|
|
post #89 of 3327 Old 03-12-2011, 04:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

LOLOL You should have seen my face when I pulled the package out of the Audio Advisor shipping box!!! I said "This is a Power Cord?" and I could almost swear it moved a little. It's a monster!!! lol

Monsters, yes, but how are they working for you? That's the main question I have. What lengths are they and did you connect them easily, etc.

post #90 of 3327 Old 03-12-2011, 05:53 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by prepress View Post

Monsters, yes, but how are they working for you? That's the main question I have. What lengths are they and did you connect them easily, etc.

Greetings! I got the 1 Meter Cable, and they are indeed stiff. At first, I did worry that if anything knocked against them, they would rip the socket right out of the power conditioner, but the Panamax is holding up fine. (exhales). In terms of performance, I did notice a difference, although it's not a night-and-day difference at all. The best way to characterize the difference I heard is to say I heard more texture in strings (much of my listening consists of classical string pieces--particularly Cello and Double Bass).

Put it like this, if an Audio Ninja broke into my house and replaced the AC5 with the Stock Power Cord, when I got home, I wouldn't notice it in movies or gaming, but if I played a piece with strings, I'd know.. I am happy to report that it is not a placebo effect. The difference is certainly there.

The Build:
| The System:
| The Video Series:

Social:
|
|
|
|
Reply What's Your System Configuration

Tags
Emotiva Xpr 1 , Marantz Av8801 , Jvc Dla Rs66 , Cambridge Audio Azur Dacmagic 100 Silver , Oppo Bdp 105 Blu Ray Player , Panamax M5300 Pm 11 Outlet Clean Power Level 4 Black
Gear in this thread - Av8801 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page