BrolicBeast's Living Room Theater - Page 31 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #901 of 3340 Old 10-22-2012, 06:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 145 Post(s)
Liked: 80
Glad to see that the measurements and placement helped out. I know for me, we went though a similar process. Craig and Dennis were not happy with the response they were getting with my sub in the back corner. They asked if they could move it out of the corner. I said sure, if you think it would help. Well, it did. I think that made EQ'ing the sub much easier. Anyway, glad to see that the room keeps on getting better and better.

It ain't easy being green.
My System
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #902 of 3340 Old 10-22-2012, 03:13 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 258 Post(s)
Liked: 353
Quote:
Originally Posted by MIkeDuke View Post

Glad to see that the measurements and placement helped out. I know for me, we went though a similar process. Craig and Dennis were not happy with the response they were getting with my sub in the back corner. They asked if they could move it out of the corner. I said sure, if you think it would help. Well, it did. I think that made EQ'ing the sub much easier. Anyway, glad to see that the room keeps on getting better and better.

The flexibility to move subs around is essential to making the most of measuring! Your flexibility gained you a room that you love. I had to move mine around to various places from corners to along the sidewalls, searching for the right measurements. Finally found the sweet spots somewhat close to their original locations, albeit with a completely different angle. The audible result? In a word: groovey cool.gif
post #903 of 3340 Old 10-24-2012, 07:34 AM
CIH USER

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 298 Post(s)
Liked: 299
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrolicBeast View Post

The flexibility to move subs around is essential to making the most of measuring! Your flexibility gained you a room that you love. I had to move mine around to various places from corners to along the sidewalls, searching for the right measurements. Finally found the sweet spots somewhat close to their original locations, albeit with a completely different angle. The audible result? In a word: groovey cool.gif
I agree it takes awhile to get the right spots

Frank
post #904 of 3340 Old 10-24-2012, 03:53 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franin View Post

I agree it takes awhile to get the right spots

Yeah man.....how much does Audyssey Pro Differ from normal xt32? Im thinking about taking that route.
post #905 of 3340 Old 10-24-2012, 04:05 PM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 131 Post(s)
Liked: 363
Quote:

Yeah man.....how much does Audyssey Pro Differ from normal xt32? Im thinking about taking that route.
From the Audyssey Pro FAQ:
Quote:
a)4. What are the differences between the Audyssey Pro Kit and regular MultEQ?

There are several important differences:

The Pro mic is supplied with a calibration file unique to that particular mic and this results in an accuracy of +/- 0.5dB, as compared with the +/- 2dB of the 'consumer' versions of MultEQ. More accurate measurement makes for more accurate filters and therefore the likelihood of a superior resolution to your room's acoustic problems.

Audyssey Pro allows for up to 32 measurement positions against the maximum of 8 in the 'consumer' versions. This is very useful when measuring and calibrating large or oddly shaped rooms where sampling a bigger area of the room can often lead to a more accurate final result.

The extra processing power of the computer Pro runs on is used to analyse the data. One result of that is, unlike any other version of Audyssey MultEQ, different potential crossovers are ranked to optimise the splice with the satellites. Then, once you chose a crossover, again unlike any other version of Audyssey MultEQ, a unique high-pass filter is applied, optimised for that crossover.*

Unlike any other version of Audyssey MultEQ, Pro allows you to save your measurements and then reload them at any time. You can save as many measurement files as your computer has room for (effectively a limitless number) and this can be very useful in allowing the freedom to try different measurements, mic positions etc, without the fear of 'losing forever' a known good calibration. If you dislike the new result, simply reload the previous one. By reloading a measurement file, an existing calibration can be fine-tuned by changing crossover selections and target curves, and by using the Curve Editor.

Audyssey Pro creates a set of graphs (see right) showing the frequency response of each speaker measured in the room before calibration and the predicted result after calibration. The 'before' graphs can (and should) be used to 'measure your current system's performance' especially if you have no other means to do so. To make this easier and faster, you can run the minimum 3 mic position measurements. Another tip to make this easier is to use minimum configurations, ie select only Front Right/Left +Centre Channel to optimise placement of those speakers. Then add the sub(s) to do the sub(s). Once things look good in each respective 'before' graph, start over with all speakers selected and do a full run. The motto here is that the better the placement of speakers prior to running Audyssey Pro, the b etter the result is likely to be after running Audyssey Pro.

Audyssey Pro also allows you to tweak the target curves using the Curve Editor. You can initially select from 3 different target curves (see j) x), choose whether to apply Midrange Compensation (see j) x) and finally you can customise your chosen curve using the Curve Editor (see j) x). You can use the same (reloaded) measurement file to create the custom curves - there is no need to re-run the calibration.

*Note that because the high pass filters are customised to the xover, theoretically one should not be as cavalier about changing crossovers in the AVR without first loading a Pro calibration created with that crossover selected.

Thanks to AVS Member SoundOfMind for assistance with this Answer.

The entire FAQ is here:
http://www.avsforum.com/t/1346723/the-audyssey-pro-installer-kit-thread-faq-in-post-1/3030#post_22429521

Craig

Lombardi said it:
Perfection is not attainable, but if we chase perfection we can catch excellence."

My System

post #906 of 3340 Old 10-25-2012, 04:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 100 Post(s)
I could tell a huge difference when I had my room calibrated with Audyssey Pro, especially my new media room. IMO, it is well worth the cost of aquiring the license to do it. Or in my case, paying for the license and letting my go to calibrator work his magic..biggrin.gif
post #907 of 3340 Old 10-25-2012, 04:50 AM
CIH USER

Quote:

As Craig John posted.

Definitely worth it but I find it very time consuming.

Frank
post #908 of 3340 Old 10-25-2012, 07:09 AM
AVS Special Member

I think if you have a big room, with multiple seats, the pro cal is probably worth it. For me(hopefully Craig will chime in) I think we did the max for standard XT32. That was 8 position for the mic. I think. In a very tight bubble (just like Craig did). I don't know what a pro cal would do for me. I mean, I have two seats, I am really the only one who cares to this level of SQ. In my small room, with how good I already measure, I wonder it's worth the effort. Probably not. But for a bigger room, with more seats, it would probably make a bigger difference. I know that it allows you to fine tune things even more (.E around the crossover point so that may make a difference.) But I also know that it would probably take even longer then the regular XT32 did. I just wonder if it's worth it to get maybe a few percentage points higher when I am already happy. I can't see how it could make it worse and I admit, given what I just said, part of me is saying, I wonder... smile.gif.

My System
post #909 of 3340 Old 10-25-2012, 01:39 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by craig john View Post

From the Audyssey Pro FAQ:
The entire FAQ is here:
http://www.avsforum.com/t/1346723/the-audyssey-pro-installer-kit-thread-faq-in-post-1/3030#post_22429521
Craig

Thanks for that info Craig. Perfect explanation. It's the newfound love i've discovered for the measurable technical aspects of this audio hobby that have me thinking about the Pro route. Next up, I'm going to try to gain an understanding of the intricacies of video calibration (May even go get certified somewhere during a vacation week.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by COACH2369 View Post

I could tell a huge difference when I had my room calibrated with Audyssey Pro, especially my new media room. IMO, it is well worth the cost of aquiring the license to do it. Or in my case, paying for the license and letting my go to calibrator work his magic..biggrin.gif

Glad you're all set up in the new place!!! If I went this route, I'd definitely have to get the license, as I am a habitual tweaker. lol. I hope you got that Lumagen set up for the 16:9-->2:35 NLS.

Quote:

As Craig John posted.
Definitely worth it but I find it very time consuming.

I can imagine that. That's a lot of positions, and with each position holding the potential for increased accuracy, it can be a battle of will to determine when to stop clicking "Next Measurement." Also, I'm finally getting Tom Huffman to update my Lumagen/RS45 calibration to match the new Stewart Studiotek 130 G3 and also to finally get calibrated for 3D as well. He did a remarkable job with the Lumagen/JVC combo with my last screen, and I know this update will make my grin even wider when I watch movies. biggrin.gif

Quote:

I think if you have a big room, with multiple seats, the pro cal is probably worth it. For me(hopefully Craig will chime in) I think we did the max for standard XT32. That was 8 position for the mic. I think. In a very tight bubble (just like Craig did). I don't know what a pro cal would do for me. I mean, I have two seats, I am really the only one who cares to this level of SQ. In my small room, with how good I already measure, I wonder it's worth the effort. Probably not. But for a bigger room, with more seats, it would probably make a bigger difference. I know that it allows you to fine tune things even more (.E around the crossover point so that may make a difference.) But I also know that it would probably take even longer then the regular XT32 did. I just wonder if it's worth it to get maybe a few percentage points higher when I am already happy. I can't see how it could make it worse and I admit, given what I just said, part of me is saying, I wonder... smile.gif.

You raise an interesting point, Mike. Is it a worthwhile investment for small rooms? Hmmm...I only have three theater seats in mine--perhaps multiEqxt32 is enough (it's certianly wow-ing me now.)...ah, time to start the research process. BTW, what did you think of the three Sumersives at the meet you went to? Three!!! Makes me want to pursue another F2...
post #910 of 3340 Old 10-25-2012, 09:28 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Pic of the new Home Theater Seating:

What a boost these reclining theater seats give to the "theater" experience!!!
Burgundy83 likes this.
post #911 of 3340 Old 10-25-2012, 09:34 PM
CIH USER

Quote:

Very nice looking seats there Matt. Congratulations they suit the room very well. Good colour choice too. smile.gif

Frank
post #912 of 3340 Old 10-26-2012, 05:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

You raise an interesting point, Mike. Is it a worthwhile investment for small rooms? Hmmm...I only have three theater seats in mine--perhaps multiEqxt32 is enough (it's certianly wow-ing me now.)...ah, time to start the research process. BTW, what did you think of the three Sumersives at the meet you went to? Three!!! Makes me want to pursue another F2...
I had to leave before they got the SubMersive part of the test. But I have heard Craig's setup with three SubMersive HP's dispersed throughout the room and it was quite the experience. Had a lot of impact and power. BTW, those seats do look really nice. What kind are they(name)? I agree that adding recliners does do something cool to a home theater room. Mine are small, with no cup holders but they are very comfortable and the leather is just outstanding.

My System
post #913 of 3340 Old 10-26-2012, 07:31 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:

Very nice looking seats there Matt. Congratulations they suit the room very well. Good colour choice too. smile.gif
I must agree with every word Franin said!! smile.gif
post #914 of 3340 Old 10-26-2012, 08:44 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Thanks Frank! I searched high and low for seats to fit my needs. I stumbled upon these at just the right time.
Quote:

I had to leave before they got the SubMersive part of the test. But I have heard Craig's setup with three SubMersive HP's dispersed throughout the room and it was quite the experience. Had a lot of impact and power. BTW, those seats do look really nice. What kind are they(name)? I agree that adding recliners does do something cool to a home theater room. Mine are small, with no cup holders but they are very comfortable and the leather is just outstanding.

Gracias! I appreciate the kind words Mike....these are from Coaster's Pavilion line. The value is a downright steal for three of these in a curved row configuration.
Quote:
Originally Posted by aldiallo View Post

I must agree with every word Franin said!! smile.gif

Thanks Al, i appreciate it...i was going to attempt typing in French, but i soon realized i dont know anything past "jeh meh pelle Matthew" (i know i butchered the spelling.) Lol
post #915 of 3340 Old 10-26-2012, 08:44 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Congratulations!!! I love your theater seats!
post #916 of 3340 Old 10-26-2012, 08:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Gracias! I appreciate the kind words Mike....these are from Coaster's Pavilion line. The value is a downright steal for three of these in a curved row configuration.

Just found them online. They look really good. I am sure they are very comfortable as well.

My System
post #917 of 3340 Old 10-26-2012, 06:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 265
Wow I could go to sleep in those, very nice. That room is really starting to take on the theater room appeal. Keep it up!
post #918 of 3340 Old 10-26-2012, 06:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked: 68
Quote:

And the "toe-in" is a good idea, plus a nice look. And they appear to be comfortable, a plus for sure.
post #919 of 3340 Old 10-27-2012, 08:18 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:

Very Cool !! Brolic that room has come along in a great way!!

I have to assume the center seat is yours lol!!!
post #920 of 3340 Old 10-27-2012, 09:40 AM
CIH USER

Quote:

I can imagine that. That's a lot of positions, and with each position holding the potential for increased accuracy, it can be a battle of will to determine when to stop clicking "Next Measurement." Also, I'm finally getting Tom Huffman to update my Lumagen/RS45 calibration to match the new Stewart Studiotek 130 G3 and also to finally get calibrated for 3D as well. He did a remarkable job with the Lumagen/JVC combo with my last screen, and I know this update will make my grin even wider when I watch movies. biggrin.gif

Well the good thing about it is I guess for me and you we don't have to do 32 pos, bugger that. I got away at the end with 11 pos and I'm happy with the results.
It's good to get projector calibrated as the difference will be seen clearly, my hours are still very low and the THX mode is not that bad at all. The lumagen is an awesome video processor which I bet gets upgraded regularly with firmware upgrades while the dvdo duo barley gets looked at anymore by dvdo. I think they gave up on it frown.gif
I would like to learn one day how to video calibrate my own gear, it will save me a lot of $$$

Frank
post #921 of 3340 Old 10-27-2012, 10:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Well the good thing about it is I guess for me and you we don't have to do 32 pos, bugger that. I got away at the end with 11 pos and I'm happy with the results.
It's good to get projector calibrated as the difference will be seen clearly, my hours are still very low and the THX mode is not that bad at all. The lumagen is an awesome video processor which I bet gets upgraded regularly with firmware upgrades while the dvdo duo barley gets looked at anymore by dvdo. I think they gave up on it frown.gif
I would like to learn one day how to video calibrate my own gear, it will save me a lot of $$$

Yes, the last Duo firmware update I know of was August last year. The Radiance Mini 3D has had a bunch of updates. i looked at the update history (similar for the other processors, by the way). There are no dates, though, so I don't know when the last one was. But in general, as the Lumagens are more expensive than the Duo, the support should be better.
post #922 of 3340 Old 10-27-2012, 01:36 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Just found them online. They look really good. I am sure they are very comfortable as well.

They are very comfortable.....even more so than the sofa that they replaced!
Quote:
Originally Posted by prepress View Post

And the "toe-in" is a good idea, plus a nice look. And they appear to be comfortable, a plus for sure.

Its funny.....i didn't even realize it at the time, but this group of 3 actually came in a curved configuration, so thankfully i didnt need to do any manual toe-in.
Quote:
Originally Posted by wkingincharge View Post

Very Cool !! Brolic that room has come along in a great way!!
I have to assume the center seat is yours lol!!!

Thanks man! Yes!!! The center seat is my main seat! Although sitting off to either side reminds me just how large the screen is.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Burgundy83 View Post

Congratulations!!! I love your theater seats!

Mucho Graciasssssss!!!!!!!! :-)
Quote:
Originally Posted by pcweber111 View Post

Wow I could go to sleep in those, very nice. That room is really starting to take on the theater room appeal. Keep it up!

Thank you kindly Sir! biggrin.gif Btw, im getting ready to do a new build w/ three GTX 680's for this room man!!!!
post #923 of 3340 Old 10-27-2012, 02:12 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Yeah man, the Lumagen gets pretty frequent updates. We just got one that allows fine-tuning of calibration at intervals set within a125 point scale. I'm glad you dont use all 32 points of measurement....I think 11 points is the right amount For your room man.

Quote:
Originally Posted by prepress View Post

Yes, the last Duo firmware update I know of was August last year. The Radiance Mini 3D has had a bunch of updates. i looked at the update history (similar for the other processors, by the way). There are no dates, though, so I don't know when the last one was. But in general, as the Lumagens are more expensive than the Duo, the support should be better.

Yeah the Lumagens are worth the premium charge man....I think the update files on the website have the dates in their filenames....I dont remember for sure though.
post #924 of 3340 Old 10-28-2012, 12:43 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Sandy better not touch my theater gear. She can have the backyard fence though...
post #925 of 3340 Old 10-28-2012, 02:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 100 Post(s)
I would be nervous as heck with all the stuff you have.. My stuff would be on the second floor if I was in your situation.. eek.gif
post #926 of 3340 Old 10-28-2012, 05:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Sandy better not touch my theater gear. She can have the backyard fence though...

Quote:

I would be nervous as heck with all the stuff you have.. My stuff would be on the second floor if I was in your situation.. eek.gif

Yes, all of us in the northeast and mid-atlantic should make or have made preparations. And (for those who do) pray.
post #927 of 3340 Old 10-28-2012, 05:59 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Good wishes to all my AVS neighbors in Sandy's path..JT
post #928 of 3340 Old 10-28-2012, 06:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 265
Quote:

Thank you kindly Sir! biggrin.gif Btw, im getting ready to do a new build w/ three GTX 680's for this room man!!!!

AH, sounds awesome. Any idea on what else you'll be using? Also, I plan on doing something similiar to my new build with more than likely 7970 Ghz editions in x-fire. I'm getting the itch to do someting again so I better hurry up lol.
post #929 of 3340 Old 10-28-2012, 08:03 PM
CIH USER

Quote:

Take care Matt, be careful mate didn't realise you we're in it's path also.

Frank
post #930 of 3340 Old 10-28-2012, 08:03 PM
CIH USER

Quote:

I agree

Frank
Reply What's Your System Configuration

Tags
Emotiva Xpr 1 , Marantz Av8801 , Jvc Dla Rs66 , Cambridge Audio Azur Dacmagic 100 Silver , Oppo Bdp 105 Blu Ray Player , Panamax M5300 Pm 11 Outlet Clean Power Level 4 Black
Gear in this thread - Av8801 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page