post #991 of 3327 Old 11-11-2012, 12:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrolicBeast View Post

Finally got a video together of the updated dedicated theater room itself.
BrolicBeast Theater Update

Nice video. Even though it was dark, the video still made sense. Out of curiosity, why the 103 over the 105? Was there something other than cost involved, i.e. extraneous features?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #992 of 3327 Old 11-12-2012, 06:24 AM
CIH USER

Quoted: 133 Post(s)
Liked: 199
Quote:

Thanks Frank. The dream is finally real! Yes indeed, Halo is a 360 game. I've been playing over the weekend....it's amazing.

Its not Halo but I picked up Max Payne 3 today on Xbox, I love that bullet time effect. As much as I like Mark Walhberg I didn't think he suited that character. Angelina Jolie suits Tomb Raider, she was perfect as Lara Croft.

Frank

post #993 of 3327 Old 11-12-2012, 05:45 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 30
Quote:
A friend of mine has his SVS sub turned off because he just had his first kid and anything loud is out of the question. I will be SURE to have my next room soundproofed!

Tell him to turn that sub back on. The newborn needs to be able to sleep through noise so the parents don't suffer years tiptoeing around the house every time junior is napping.
post #994 of 3327 Old 11-12-2012, 11:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonyad View Post

Tell him to turn that sub back on. The newborn needs to be able to sleep through noise so the parents don't suffer years tiptoeing around the house every time junior is napping.

LOL, try telling that to a woman who has just given birth. It's like trying to mess with a mother bear's cub... Besides, some newborns have trouble sleeping anyhow, and sleep is crucial for their proper brain development, even years after birth. We're pretty strict with our kids, but noise is definitely going to keep them from sleeping. I assume that's true for many adults, also. In my case, soundproofing was HUGE!!
post #995 of 3327 Old 11-13-2012, 11:06 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 30
The mom is stressed out coming face to face with having to wake up every two hours around the clock. for at least the next six weeks or so, if she's lucky. However I still think it's best to get the little one used to background noise.
post #996 of 3327 Old 11-14-2012, 10:50 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 152 Post(s)
Liked: 293
Quote:
Originally Posted by prepress View Post

Nice video. Even though it was dark, the video still made sense. Out of curiosity, why the 103 over the 105? Was there something other than cost involved, i.e. extraneous features?

Thanks Prepress...I went with the 103 over the 105 because since I use Audyssey, the analog outputs of the 105 become obselete, as there's no pure analog path. As somebody pointed out to me a while back, it's just doing Digital-to-Analog-to-Digital conversion, which means that premium is wasted If i don't listen in Direct. Thus, until I'm ready to build a 2-channel analog music-only system in another room and invest the time and money needed to get remarkable sound without room correction, I can't use players like the 105.
post #997 of 3327 Old 11-14-2012, 10:55 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franin View Post

Its not Halo but I picked up Max Payne 3 today on Xbox, I love that bullet time effect. As much as I like Mark Walhberg I didn't think he suited that character. Angelina Jolie suits Tomb Raider, she was perfect as Lara Croft.

Hey Frank, Max Payne 3 is a remarkable game from what I've read. Rockstar Games (the developers) used some uber-realistic motion capture techniques to make his movement more realistic. I've been meaning to pick that up for months! How's the A/V quality on that game? I've never seen the movie (I've owned it sicne it was released, but all the negative press subconsciously kept me from watching it for years.)
post #998 of 3327 Old 11-14-2012, 11:00 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonyad View Post

lol....I think staying alive is more important to him than experiencing the missing bass. Turning that sub on would result in a rather swift, and not exactly painless, death at the hands of his wife, who is also a first-time-mother. lol
post #999 of 3327 Old 11-14-2012, 01:15 PM

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 83
Quote:

lol....I think staying alive is more important to him than experiencing the missing bass. Turning that sub on would result in a rather swift, and not exactly painless, death at the hands of his wife, who is also a first-time-mother. lol

See, that's why if you really want to get into home theater or stereo music, you need to be single and own your home. Having to deal with the spouse (turn down the stereo;you have to much bass; that sub is to big; blah, blah, blah) is a pain.
Having to turn down your setup because you don't want to be evicted is also a pain.
Brolic, I sometimes envy you. You can do what you please.... Money is your only hindrance and that seems like a really small hindrance in your case..... lucky son of a woman.. biggrin.gif
post #1000 of 3327 Old 11-14-2012, 02:44 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevon27 View Post

See, that's why if you really want to get into home theater or stereo music, you need to be single and own your home. Having to deal with the spouse (turn down the stereo;you have to much bass; that sub is to big; blah, blah, blah) is a pain.
Having to turn down your setup because you don't want to be evicted is also a pain.
Brolic, I sometimes envy you. You can do what you please.... Money is your only hindrance and that seems like a really small hindrance in your case..... lucky son of a woman.. biggrin.gif

Kevon, I definitely can admit that sometimes, a lack of spousal/familial obligations can go long way to building a theater in a short amount of time. I'm just taking this opportunity as an unmarried home owner to stack up before other things get in the way. Mannnn....money is def a hindrance at times. I graduated with my second Masters Degree (MBA) earlier this year, and the combined student loan payments hitting me now are...(sigh)...significant. frown.gif
post #1001 of 3327 Old 11-14-2012, 03:06 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Just wanted to be the 1,000 reply =]
post #1002 of 3327 Old 11-14-2012, 05:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 54
Quote:

Kevon, I definitely can admit that sometimes, a lack of spousal/familial obligations can go long way to building a theater in a short amount of time. I'm just taking this opportunity as an unmarried home owner to stack up before other things get in the way. Mannnn....money is def a hindrance at times. I graduated with my second Masters Degree (MBA) earlier this year, and the combined student loan payments hitting me now are...(sigh)...significant. frown.gif

That's why I paid mine off. biggrin.gif
post #1003 of 3327 Old 11-14-2012, 05:26 PM
CIH USER

Quote:

Hey Frank, Max Payne 3 is a remarkable game from what I've read. Rockstar Games (the developers) used some uber-realistic motion capture techniques to make his movement more realistic. I've been meaning to pick that up for months! How's the A/V quality on that game? I've never seen the movie (I've owned it sicne it was released, but all the negative press subconsciously kept me from watching it for years.)

The AV was quite good an enjoyable game. The movie itself is horrible.

Frank

post #1004 of 3327 Old 11-14-2012, 08:19 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by avdoubleu View Post

Just wanted to be the 1,000 reply =]

Awesome! Time flies...
Quote:
Originally Posted by prepress View Post

That's why I paid mine off. biggrin.gif

Prepress, my envy of your above comment runs deeper than the bottom of a maelstrom!
Quote:

The AV was quite good an enjoyable game. The movie itself is horrible.

Nice....i think i'm going to pick that up next. I had both Max Payne 1 and 2 about ten years ago and still have fond memories. Im sure the "shottie" worked those Fathoms out.
post #1005 of 3327 Old 11-14-2012, 08:36 PM
CIH USER

Quote:

Nice....i think i'm going to pick that up next. I had both Max Payne 1 and 2 about ten years ago and still have fond memories. Im sure the "shottie" worked those Fathoms out.

Actually I don't play the games in the Home Theatre room we have a 70" in the games room which we use. My kids are getting excited about wii U, will be giving it to my daughter for her Birthday on the same day it's released here. Getting Mario and Lego City, both look awesome smile.gif

Frank

post #1006 of 3327 Old 11-16-2012, 04:04 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Actually I don't play the games in the Home Theatre room we have a 70" in the games room which we use. My kids are getting excited about wii U, will be giving it to my daughter for her Birthday on the same day it's released here. Getting Mario and Lego City, both look awesome smile.gif

Very nice! I may get a WiiU for my secondary room. I'm just waiting to see a truly mindblowing Nintendo IP. There's a lot of potential there with that controller.
post #1007 of 3327 Old 11-16-2012, 04:27 AM
CIH USER

Quote:

Very nice! I may get a WiiU for my secondary room. I'm just waiting to see a truly mindblowing Nintendo IP. There's a lot of potential there with that controller.

The games look good on these units, my 5 year old is excited about lego city on wii u

Frank

post #1008 of 3327 Old 11-18-2012, 07:56 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Watched Brave on blu ray this evening. Reference quality video and audio...the bass is nothing to write home about, but I felt the soundtrack accurately (and very capably) portrayed what was on screen. Very impressive a/v coupled with a heartwarming story is a win-win.
post #1009 of 3327 Old 11-19-2012, 04:51 AM
CIH USER

Quote:

Watched Brave on blu ray this evening. Reference quality video and audio...the bass is nothing to write home about, but I felt the soundtrack accurately (and very capably) portrayed what was on screen. Very impressive a/v coupled with a heartwarming story is a win-win.

Thanks Matt, I'm looking forward in watching Brave this Wednesday.

Frank

post #1010 of 3327 Old 11-19-2012, 06:22 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Thanks Matt, I'm looking forward in watching Brave this Wednesday.

You're going to like it Frank, and so will the family..be sure to play it at a nice (as high as you dare) volume....there are a lot of nuanced audible environmental details. Also, on the video side, there are some nuances there as well. For instance, on closeups, the characters actually have porous skin (as opposed to perfectly smooth skin.)

How's the little one enjoying her Wii U?
post #1011 of 3327 Old 11-19-2012, 08:09 AM
CIH USER

Quote:

You're going to like it Frank, and so will the family..be sure to play it at a nice (as high as you dare) volume....there are a lot of nuanced audible environmental details. Also, on the video side, there are some nuances there as well. For instance, on closeups, the characters actually have porous skin (as opposed to perfectly smooth skin.)
How's the little one enjoying her Wii U?

Will do smile.gif

The Wii U has another couple of weeks before its released here in Aus. Wife is now saying Christmas as both kids enjoy it not just the one. She forgot this big kid wants it now biggrin.gif

Frank

post #1012 of 3327 Old 11-19-2012, 12:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 79
Quote:

Agreed. This was a pristine presentation audio and video wise. Fun little movie. I am a big Pixar fan. Have you seen the trailer for Monsters University? Looks pretty cool...
post #1013 of 3327 Old 11-19-2012, 06:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 264
I must be in the minority then because while i felt the movie looked and sounded incredible (typical Pixar) I felt the story was lacking and a bit predictable. I just didn't get sucked into it the way I did with Toy Story 3 and even UP. I agree though that Monster's University looks like it will be a blast.
post #1014 of 3327 Old 11-19-2012, 07:26 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Will do smile.gif
The Wii U has another couple of weeks before its released here in Aus. Wife is now saying Christmas as both kids enjoy it not just the one. She forgot this big kid wants it now biggrin.gif

Ah, the reception seems pretty good on this end in some initial reviews! I think you guys are in for a treat!
Quote:
Originally Posted by drewTT View Post

Agreed. This was a pristine presentation audio and video wise. Fun little movie. I am a big Pixar fan. Have you seen the trailer for Monsters University? Looks pretty cool...

"Monsters University" definitely looks great--I have the original "Monsters Inc." on Blu Ray and it is an absolute reference-quality disc! "Monsters University" looks like it'll be a great inclusion.....I may just see it in the theaters.
Quote:
Originally Posted by pcweber111 View Post

I must be in the minority then because while i felt the movie looked and sounded incredible (typical Pixar) I felt the story was lacking and a bit predictable. I just didn't get sucked into it the way I did with Toy Story 3 and even UP. I agree though that Monster's University looks like it will be a blast.

The story in "Brave" definitely does not approach that of "Up" at or the other greats all. Personally, I think "Up" ranks up there with the best of them though. The "Brave" storyline is heart warming, but I'd say it falls somewhere between Cars and Wall E on the storyline scale.
post #1015 of 3327 Old 11-20-2012, 10:10 AM

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 83
The story in "Brave" definitely does not approach that of "Up" at or the other greats all. Personally, I think "Up" ranks up there with the best of them though. The "Brave" storyline is heart warming, but I'd say it falls somewhere between Cars and Wall E on the storyline scale.[/quote]

I was watching Brave last night. Boy, the sound is incredible. Picture quality is excellent. The story, good up until the mother changed into the bear then I started to get bored and I got sleepy. I will try to finish the movie tonight and return it to NetFlix tomorrow.
It was a good thing I did not waste money going to the movies to see Brave.
post #1016 of 3327 Old 11-21-2012, 06:03 AM
CIH USER

Hey Matt watching Brave tonight looking forward in hearing the audio ( seen the movie in the cinemas ) and seeing how good the Pq is. Btw mate when you get a chance, watch finding Nemo the whale Scene is amazing. The LFE !!! smile.gif

Frank

post #1017 of 3327 Old 11-21-2012, 08:55 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevon27 View Post

The story in "Brave" definitely does not approach that of "Up" at or the other greats all. Personally, I think "Up" ranks up there with the best of them though. The "Brave" storyline is heart warming, but I'd say it falls somewhere between Cars and Wall E on the storyline scale. I was watching Brave last night. Boy, the sound is incredible. Picture quality is excellent. The story, good up until the mother changed into the bear then I started to get bored and I got sleepy. I will try to finish the movie tonight and return it to NetFlix tomorrow.
It was a good thing I did not waste money going to the movies to see Brave.

Yeah, if I weren’t a collector of Blu Rays and if I didn’t demand high-def tracks on Blu Rays (which Netflix has stopped or will stop offering, thanks to the movie studios), Netflix would have been just fine. I would have jumped at the opportunity to have caught it in Dolby Atmos at one of the few theaters featuring the format. I think there’s one in NJ or upstate NY ( Can’t remember which) that I intend to drive to one day for the Atmos experience.
Quote:

Hey Matt watching Brave tonight looking forward in hearing the audio ( seen the movie in the cinemas ) and seeing how good the Pq is. Btw mate when you get a chance, watch finding Nemo the whale Scene is amazing. The LFE !!! smile.gif

Frank, you will not be disappointed—especially on the Stewart Studiotek 130 G3 screen!!! I’m getting very excited for The Dark Knight Rises, which will be released here in the states on December 4. I’m looking forward to watching it at home--particularly with Mrs. Brolic, who was so tired when we went to go see TDKR in theaters, that she slept through most of the movie. Ah yes! Finding Nemo…I believe that comes out Nov. 27; I intend to scoop that up. Thanks for the heads up on the whale scene. I’ll be sure to check that out first for some LFE love smile.gif
post #1018 of 3327 Old 11-21-2012, 09:12 AM
CIH USER

Quote:

Yeah, if I weren’t a collector of Blu Rays and if I didn’t demand high-def tracks on Blu Rays (which Netflix has stopped or will stop offering, thanks to the movie studios), Netflix would have been just fine. I would have jumped at the opportunity to have caught it in Dolby Atmos at one of the few theaters featuring the format. I think there’s one in NJ or upstate NY ( Can’t remember which) that I intend to drive to one day for the Atmos experience.
Frank, you will not be disappointed—especially on the Stewart Studiotek 130 G3 screen!!! I’m getting very excited for The Dark Knight Rises, which will be released here in the states on December 4. I’m looking forward to watching it at home--particularly with Mrs. Brolic, who was so tired when we went to go see TDKR in theaters, that she slept through most of the movie. Ah yes! Finding Nemo…I believe that comes out Nov. 27; I intend to scoop that up. Thanks for the heads up on the whale scene. I’ll be sure to check that out first for some LFE love smile.gif

Just finished watching Brave on Blu ray the audio and Pq was fantastic. I have to admit it has pretty good LFE too. Yeah I'm looking forward to Batman as well it comes out next week here will be scooping that up straight away.

Frank

post #1019 of 3327 Old 11-21-2012, 02:40 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Just finished watching Brave on Blu ray the audio and Pq was fantastic. I have to admit it has pretty good LFE too. Yeah I'm looking forward to Batman as well it comes out next week here will be scooping that up straight away.

Hey, you found Brave to have pretty good LFE? I found it lacking in LFE, but now I'm thinking that it may be attributed to the fact that, while I played it very loudly, I didn't watch it at or near reference. I see DrewTT and I were both underwhelmed by The Amazing Spiderman, but a number of bass enthusiasts in the low bass thread were impressed. I guess it amounts to the fact that some films need to be played more loudly than others to appreciate? Any thoughts on this?
post #1020 of 3327 Old 11-21-2012, 02:45 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I think I'm going to sell my RS45 and replace it with the RS56 model (mostly due to eShift2 and better 3D performance.) If anybody's interested, feel free to PM me. I'm cooking up the AVS classified ad...
Reply What's Your System Configuration

Tags
Emotiva Xpr 1 , Marantz Av8801 , Jvc Dla Rs66 , Cambridge Audio Azur Dacmagic 100 Silver , Oppo Bdp 105 Blu Ray Player , Panamax M5300 Pm 11 Outlet Clean Power Level 4 Black
Gear in this thread - Av8801 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page