AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 99 Post(s)
Liked: 284
Quote:
Originally Posted by MIkeDuke View Post

Matt,
if you do get the pro kit, I would be interested in any comparisons you may have. You are using XT32 right? I still need to get newer measurements but seeing all the work Craig put in(about 3 setups), I really don't feel like doing another one. Plus it sounds great as it is. But I am curious to hear any differences you may experience.

Hey Mike, I'll definitely be sure to share any differences I notice. Man, if you're happy with the sound, and experts like Mark and Craig have already fine-tuned your room, the time for measurements may be over. Now, its just time to enjoy the sound biggrin.gif
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1082 of 3303 Old 11-29-2012, 04:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked: 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrolicBeast View Post

Hey Mike, I'll definitely be sure to share any differences I notice. Man, if you're happy with the sound, and experts like Mark and Craig have already fine-tuned your room, the time for measurements may be over. Now, its just time to enjoy the sound biggrin.gif
I just want to have the latest measurements so I have them that's all. Nit really to see if there is anything else that needs to be done. I know "audiophile" is a bad word tongue.gif. But I guess I am one if you use the definition that I like great sounding systems and I try to what I can to get my system sounding great biggrin.gif. Looking forward to reading some of you thoughts on your pro cal when you get it done.

I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass...and I'm all out of bubblegum .
My System

post #1083 of 3303 Old 11-29-2012, 10:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 106
Quote:

I just get stuck wondering why $8k cables exist, and why words of any form are being typed about them.

$8,000? If only!!

This was from 4.5 years ago with cables costing $40,000.

http://most-expensive.net/audio-cables

Liquid filled cables; cryogenic treated cables; you name and we will build it!

Simply moronic!
post #1084 of 3303 Old 11-29-2012, 07:25 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioguy View Post

$8,000? If only!!
This was from 4.5 years ago with cables costing $40,000.
http://most-expensive.net/audio-cables
Liquid filled cables; cryogenic treated cables; you name and we will build it!
Simply moronic!

I remember this article and the controversy that ensued! For $40k, give me a Keith Yates room design.....they can keep their cryogenic cables on ice. Lol
post #1085 of 3303 Old 11-30-2012, 09:41 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked: 183
40K! man I'd love to see what a cable like that looks like. Might have 3% plutonium in it. biggrin.gif

Frank

post #1086 of 3303 Old 12-01-2012, 03:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 105 Post(s)
Liked: 273
$40k for a cable?eek.gif Are divorce papers included?

Growing Older But Not Up
post #1087 of 3303 Old 12-01-2012, 07:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 47
Quote:

I remember this article and the controversy that ensued! For $40k, give me a Keith Yates room design.....they can keep their cryogenic cables on ice. Lol

I remember a story to the reverse on this, that Michael Fremer (Stereophile, Home theater) was going to take James Randi up on this or a similar scenario regarding double-blind testing—and they backed down.

While not wanting to turn this into a cable debate (not the point of the thread), I will say that I've heard differences in my system with speaker cables and with interconnects between preamp and power amp, and I'm not a trained listener. But I, too, have a hard time conceiving of spending so much for speaker cables, even if they do make a difference in some systems. I wonder also whether the law of diminishing returns kicks in at some point along the path.
post #1088 of 3303 Old 12-03-2012, 05:58 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franin View Post

40K! man I'd love to see what a cable like that looks like. Might have 3% plutonium in it. biggrin.gif

Right? Such a cable better be able to charge my Space Shuttle as well as power my entire system…wirelessly….with a telepathic interface. It should also power my spare Iron Man suit (My last one got a bit dented after I pimp-smacked Loki)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waboman View Post

$40k for a cable?eek.gif Are divorce papers included?

Ha! Such a cable will likely lack divorce papers, but it should be of sufficient weight and length to savagely threaten the wife’s attorney… biggrin.gif
Quote:
Originally Posted by prepress View Post

I remember a story to the reverse on this, that Michael Fremer (Stereophile, Home theater) was going to take James Randi up on this or a similar scenario regarding double-blind testing—and they backed down.
While not wanting to turn this into a cable debate (not the point of the thread), I will say that I've heard differences in my system with speaker cables and with interconnects between preamp and power amp, and I'm not a trained listener. But I, too, have a hard time conceiving of spending so much for speaker cables, even if they do make a difference in some systems. I wonder also whether the law of diminishing returns kicks in at some point along the path.

I can certainly attest to the fact that there are differences between interconnects—for instance, my Silver Serpent XLR interconnects are audibly better than my old Emotiva XLR interconnects. I’ve never tested different speaker wire (I’ve been using Monoprice since my first foray out of HTIB land and into the realm of true HT); however, I’m sure there are differences. But…$40k worth? Then again, it becomes very subjective—the concept of value to someone who can spend $40k on cables is very different than for someone who won’t go past $400. Perhaps, in that bracket, their concept of value incorporates attaining the (for most people) unattainable. I don’t know. What I do know is that the differences I’ve heard, say between my PS Audio AC5 power cord ($350 for whatever my length is) v.s. my old Pangea Audio AC9 ($40-50 for the lengths I had) were not “night and day”—but they were different in a “dawn-to-noon” sense on my amplifier, with the PS Audio sounding better.

What it all boils down to is……..

Go Giants (NFL)
post #1089 of 3303 Old 12-03-2012, 06:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I can certainly attest to the fact that there are differences between interconnects—for instance, my Silver Serpent XLR interconnects are audibly better than my old Emotiva XLR interconnects. I’ve never tested different speaker wire (I’ve been using Monoprice since my first foray out of HTIB land and into the realm of true HT); however, I’m sure there are differences. But…$40k worth? Then again, it becomes very subjective—the concept of value to someone who can spend $40k on cables is very different than for someone who won’t go past $400. Perhaps, in that bracket, their concept of value incorporates attaining the (for most people) unattainable. I don’t know. What I do know is that the differences I’ve heard, say between my PS Audio AC5 power cord ($350 for whatever my length is) v.s. my old Pangea Audio AC9 ($40-50 for the lengths I had) were not “night and day”—but they were different in a “dawn-to-noon” sense on my amplifier, with the PS Audio sounding better.
Go Giants (NFL)

While I have no doubt you "heard" the difference, expectation bias can not be ignored. And any sighted test, is by definition, biased. None of that means you didn't "hear" differences.
post #1090 of 3303 Old 12-03-2012, 07:16 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioguy View Post

While I have no doubt you "heard" the difference, expectation bias can not be ignored. And any sighted test, is by definition, biased. None of that means you didn't "hear" differences.

A very good point about expectation bias, given that I learned about this first-hand a week or two ago on the Seaton Sound forum with my “perceived” differences in sound from my SubMersive F2’s in a grilles on/grilles off comparison. The human mind is a powerful thing.
post #1091 of 3303 Old 12-04-2012, 12:43 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Ha! Such a cable will likely lack divorce papers, but it should be of sufficient weight and length to savagely threaten the wife’s attorney… biggrin.gif

Here is one for you, lets say for some reason you wanted a 40K cable how would you tell your wife/partner ?

Frank

post #1092 of 3303 Old 12-04-2012, 03:21 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Here is one for you, lets say for some reason you wanted a 40K cable how would you tell your wife/partner ?

"Honey...errr....I've decided to pay the car off early, darling. Oh, and early payoff comes with a dealer-reward of a pretty power cable"

......enter: 4-5 years of secret car payments. Lol
post #1093 of 3303 Old 12-04-2012, 03:31 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 15
LOL
post #1094 of 3303 Old 12-04-2012, 04:06 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

"Honey...errr....I've decided to pay the car off early, darling. Oh, and early payoff comes with a dealer-reward of a pretty power cable"
......enter: 4-5 years of secret car payments. Lol

Lol the old reward i like that. biggrin.gif I've used the old throw in for buying this. Just make sure you hide the receipt well.

Frank

post #1095 of 3303 Old 12-04-2012, 05:49 AM
AVS Special Member

I would tell her to have me committed.eek.gif
post #1096 of 3303 Old 12-04-2012, 12:29 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Has anybody heard the JTR Noesis in-person? They seem to be a much cheaper alternative to the Seaton Catalysts.

I may pursue the sealed model Rosenut. I’ve got about two months to decide though. After the holidays pass, I’m getting very serious about my speaker upgrade…
post #1097 of 3303 Old 12-04-2012, 03:39 PM
FOH
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 208
Quote:

Has anybody heard the JTR Noesis in-person? They seem to be a much cheaper alternative to the Seaton Catalysts.

Very different animal, in my opinion.

Yes, they've been heard. The coax used in the JTR, is a wonderful driver. As is the coax in the Catalyst. However, they are markedly different in the manner in which they coalesce.

Also, the Noesis is passive, needing power. The Catalyst has the secret sauce,....the dsp. Mark Seaton has many skills. What you're buying with the Cat is his skillset, and the subsequent choices he opted for therein. It's good stuff too.

That said, I'm sure that it's very likely the Noesis would be wonderful in many systems. It's compression drivers down to 400hz, coupled to a horn/waveguide.

------------------------------------
Flat, Deep, Clean, Linear, and Loud
------------------------------------
Active 16.8kw, 7.3 system
(3)Seaton Cat12C up front, (4)QSC K8 sides/rears
(2)Seaton SubM-HP, (4)18" IB
post #1098 of 3303 Old 12-04-2012, 07:19 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FOH View Post

Very different animal, in my opinion.
Yes, they've been heard. The coax used in the JTR, is a wonderful driver. As is the coax in the Catalyst. However, they are markedly different in the manner in which they coalesce.
Also, the Noesis is passive, needing power. The Catalyst has the secret sauce,....the dsp. Mark Seaton has many skills. What you're buying with the Cat is his skillset, and the subsequent choices he opted for therein. It's good stuff too.
That said, I'm sure that it's very likely the Noesis would be wonderful in many systems. It's compression drivers down to 400hz, coupled to a horn/waveguide.

Ah, I forgot about the DSP.....I need to do more research. After the holiday season is over, I will be making key decisions about the speaker upgrade. Thanks for the info, FOH.
post #1099 of 3303 Old 12-04-2012, 07:23 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

If anybody wants a good subwoofer workout, check out "Forward Unto Dawn" on blu ray. Bass was extremely enjoyable!

Also, I made my first steelbook purchase today--The Dark Knight Rises. The packaging is great. I don't know how I've been overlooking steelbook releases for so long.
post #1100 of 3303 Old 12-04-2012, 08:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 262
I love steelbook releases. My most recent was ET.
post #1101 of 3303 Old 12-05-2012, 04:05 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcweber111 View Post

I love steelbook releases. My most recent was ET.

Nice! I'm going to start collecting them!
post #1102 of 3303 Old 12-05-2012, 04:06 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

post #1103 of 3303 Old 12-05-2012, 05:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 47
Quote:

Go Giants (NFL)

I trust the "Go Giants" cheer is because I'm in New York. Or is it because those power cords you mention are all heavy gauges? smile.gif Actually most of my preferred teams are in the AFC. Other than that, if the Giants do well that's fine with me.

But wait, you're in DC, so that could be sarcasm...
post #1104 of 3303 Old 12-05-2012, 05:29 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by prepress View Post

I trust the "Go Giants" cheer is because I'm in New York. Or is it because those power cords you mention are all heavy gauges? smile.gif Actually most of my preferred teams are in the AFC. Other than that, if the Giants do well that's fine with me.
But wait, you're in DC, so that could be sarcasm...

I'm from Queens, NY and will always be a Giants fan! (Jets?...not so much.) There was a lot of hype down here in DC about Monday's Giants v. Redskins game, so of course I've been rooting alone for my team down here. We didn't do so well on Monday though
wilfredent likes this.
post #1105 of 3303 Old 12-05-2012, 07:00 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Now watching: Finding Nemo biggrin.gif

Findind Nemo is definitely one of Pixars finest animation and the blu ray has amazing LFE moments.

Frank

post #1106 of 3303 Old 12-05-2012, 07:22 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Findind Nemo is definitely one of Pixars finest animation and the blu ray has amazing LFE moments.

Man, this movie is reference from start to finish! Standout audio moments for me were the evil niece tapping on the side of the fish tank; the entire scene in which they are swallowed by a whale, and also the first time Marlon and the turtle hit that roller coaster-esque portion of the EAC.

Visually, it's a winner. The only portions that stood out as less than reference for video were when the whale shoots marlon and dorie through its spout (the rendering of the spout water looks dated) and one other moment that I can't remember. Other than that, thie video is great. What a great a/v experience!

I think I'm going to order some Crowsons...Craig and Mike seem extremely satisfied, and I will be re-visiting these Finding Nemo bass scenes once I take the time to figure out implementation for my seating (i'm almost there), mate the Crowsons with an amp, etc. and place the order.
post #1107 of 3303 Old 12-05-2012, 08:26 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Man, this movie is reference from start to finish! Standout audio moments for me were the evil niece tapping on the side of the fish tank; the entire scene in which they are swallowed by a whale, and also the first time Marlon and the turtle hit that roller coaster-esque portion of the EAC.
Visually, it's a winner. The only portions that stood out as less than reference for video were when the whale shoots marlon and dorie through its spout (the rendering of the spout water looks dated) and one other moment that I can't remember. Other than that, thie video is great. What a great a/v experience!

It definitely is a great AV experience
Quote:
I think I'm going to order some Crowsons...Craig and Mike seem extremely satisfied, and I will be re-visiting these Finding Nemo bass scenes once I take the time to figure out implementation for my seating (i'm almost there), mate the Crowsons with an amp, etc. and place the order.

There bass transducers ?

Frank

post #1108 of 3303 Old 12-05-2012, 08:37 PM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 283
Quote:

I haven't watched Nemo in a while. I'll have to check it out again.
Quote:
If I were to do my system again with the "latest and greatest". I would use the Behringer iNUKE amp. It has built-in DSP with selectable HPF, LPF and most importantly, delays. http://www.behringer.com/EN/Products/NU1000DSP.aspx

Craig

Lombardi said it:
Perfection is not attainable, but if we chase perfection we can catch excellence."

My System

post #1109 of 3303 Old 12-06-2012, 02:24 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:

Nice! I'm going to start collecting them!
I must have probably 5 or 6 of them and it's true that the packaging is great and gives a more decent presentation than the cheap plastic generally used!

Everytime I can have the choice I always go for the steelbook.
post #1110 of 3303 Old 12-06-2012, 05:55 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

It definitely is a great AV experience
There bass transducers ?

Yes sir! They seem to be quite effective!
Quote:
Originally Posted by craig john View Post

I haven't watched Nemo in a while. I'll have to check it out again.
If I were to do my system again with the "latest and greatest". I would use the Behringer iNUKE amp. It has built-in DSP with selectable HPF, LPF and most importantly, delays. http://www.behringer.com/EN/Products/NU1000DSP.aspx
Craig

Thanks for the link....well, looks like I found my amp! Lol. Now, I must ask...what are the benefits of setting delays for a bass transducer? I had no idea that was a factor and definitely want optimal performance.

I think I'm going to take a page out of your book and place two transducers so each one can shake two chairs. One will be where the left and center seats join, and one will be where the right and center seats join (the center main lp effectively getting one half on each side.
Quote:
Originally Posted by aldiallo View Post

I must have probably 5 or 6 of them and it's true that the packaging is great and gives a more decent presentation than the cheap plastic generally used!
Everytime I can have the choice I always go for the steelbook.

Excellent! Which ones do you own? Man.....is it me, or do steelbook discs get better disc prints too? My blu rays have the black and gold bat emblem with appropriate writing on each disc. Do they all look like that? Or do steelbook discs always get different (read: better) prints as well?
Reply What's Your System Configuration

Tags
Emotiva Xpr 1 , Marantz Av8801 , Jvc Dla Rs66 , Cambridge Audio Azur Dacmagic 100 Silver , Oppo Bdp 105 Blu Ray Player , Panamax M5300 Pm 11 Outlet Clean Power Level 4 Black
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page