post #91 of 3270 Old 03-12-2011, 08:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrolicBeast View Post

Greetings! I got the 1 Meter Cable, and they are indeed stiff. At first, I did worry that if anything knocked against them, they would rip the socket right out of the power conditioner, but the Panamax is holding up fine. (exhales). In terms of performance, I did notice a difference, although it's not a night-and-day difference at all. The best way to characterize the difference I heard is to say I heard more texture in strings (much of my listening consists of classical string pieces--particularly Cello and Double Bass).

Put it like this, if an Audio Ninja broke into my house and replaced the AC5 with the Stock Power Cord, when I got home, I wouldn't notice it in movies or gaming, but if I played a piece with strings, I'd know.. I am happy to report that it is not a placebo effect. The difference is certainly there.

As you saw on my thread, those evil Pangea AC-9s did take a chunk out of the casing on an outlet, but those are 7AWG; the PSA AC-5 is 10AWG. One meter doesn't give a lot of slack to play with, so the stiffness could come into play there. But as you say, the connection was made, and based upon my short experience with the AC-5, it's a solid connection.

It's been said that power cords need to break in. I don't know if that's true, but I'm not prepared to disagree with the idea. See if you notice any differences after, say, a couple of weeks or more.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 3270 Old 03-12-2011, 08:33 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
That black trim on the XPA-5 does make a world of difference.
post #93 of 3270 Old 03-12-2011, 11:38 AM

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by hikarate View Post

I agree!

Where at did you get the trim kit?
post #94 of 3270 Old 03-12-2011, 11:54 AM

Quote:

Greetings! I got the 1 Meter Cable, and they are indeed stiff. At first, I did worry that if anything knocked against them, they would rip the socket right out of the power conditioner, but the Panamax is holding up fine. (exhales). In terms of performance, I did notice a difference, although it's not a night-and-day difference at all. The best way to characterize the difference I heard is to say I heard more texture in strings (much of my listening consists of classical string pieces--particularly Cello and Double Bass).

Put it like this, if an Audio Ninja broke into my house and replaced the AC5 with the Stock Power Cord, when I got home, I wouldn't notice it in movies or gaming, but if I played a piece with strings, I'd know.. I am happy to report that it is not a placebo effect. The difference is certainly there.

Great description. Thanks for the info. Beast, if you had an xpa 2 and xpa 3 for a 5.1 which speakers would you hook them up to?
post #95 of 3270 Old 03-12-2011, 02:33 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked: 263
Quote:
Originally Posted by prepress View Post

As you saw on my thread, those evil Pangea AC-9s did take a chunk out of the casing on an outlet, but those are 7AWG; the PSA AC-5 is 10AWG. One meter doesn't give a lot of slack to play with, so the stiffness could come into play there. But as you say, the connection was made, and based upon my short experience with the AC-5, it's a solid connection.

It's been said that power cords need to break in. I don't know if that's true, but I'm not prepared to disagree with the idea. See if you notice any differences after, say, a couple of weeks or more.

Yeah I definitely remember seeing the remains of that outlet (R.I.P.). I don't even know how you got that AC9 to move even a little. 7AWG is practically a steel pipe! For my cable, 1 meter isn't very long at all--I really wanted the 2m, but I refused to pay higher than $300 for a power cable (at the time, I was a skepic). I must have added and removed that cord at least eight times the morning that I ordered it. I am glad I did though. Cords have a break-in period, eh? That's interesting. I'm DEFINITELY going pay close attention over the next few weeks and see how the sound transforms.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hikarate View Post

Yeah, when i made the switch--i kept staring at it, thinking--wow, now it looks like it belongs in a much higher price bracket.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattPutt View Post

I agree!

Where at did you get the trim kit?

Greetings! I got the trim kit here At two size choices, and $20 per Amp, the trim kit is impossible to ignore!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmaschm View Post

Great description. Thanks for the info. Beast, if you had an xpa 2 and xpa 3 for a 5.1 which speakers would you hook them up to?

No Problemo! If I had that configuration, I'd connect the XPA-2's to the Right and Left speakers, while connecting the XPA-3 to the Center and Surround speakers.
post #96 of 3270 Old 03-14-2011, 05:46 PM

Liked: 13
Thanks for sharing the link Brolic.

I was wondering about your apple tv. I saw that they are now offering NBA League Pass and MLB Extra Innings as well. I was wanting to know if you have any of those subscriptions? I am going to get the apple tv soon but just saw that they are now offering those subscriptions, so may bump up the purchase. Just wanting to know about the quality of them.
post #97 of 3270 Old 03-14-2011, 08:03 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattPutt View Post

Thanks for sharing the link Brolic.

I was wondering about your apple tv. I saw that they are now offering NBA League Pass and MLB Extra Innings as well. I was wanting to know if you have any of those subscriptions? I am going to get the apple tv soon but just saw that they are now offering those subscriptions, so may bump up the purchase. Just wanting to know about the quality of them.

I'm afraid I do not subscribe to either of those offerings, so I can't comment on it from a performance standpoint. I can comment on the device itself, in saying that it will be the best $99 you've ever spent! AppleTV is just that good. Especially if you have a media server or an "always-on" computer somewhere in your house.
post #98 of 3270 Old 03-17-2011, 08:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Hello BrolicBeast.

First off, I would like to welcome you to the WYSC threads. I know I'm extremely tardy with the welcoming, but better late than never.
Thank you for the kind words you posted in my thread.
Back when I was very active in this forum, I tried my best to make my thread as friendly, inviting and as informative as possible. Thank you for the acknowledgement and I will be PM'ing you in the near future. There's some things I'd like to share with you.

By the way, I grew up in Bethesda, MD.

"Chance favors only the prepared mind. "Louis Pasteur"

ldgibson76

The Setup
post #99 of 3270 Old 03-18-2011, 09:26 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ldgibson76 View Post

Hello BrolicBeast.

First off, I would like to welcome you to the WYSC threads. I know I'm extremely tardy with the welcoming, but better late than never.
Thank you for the kind words you posted in my thread.
Back when I was very active in this forum, I tried my best to make my thread as friendly, inviting and as informative as possible. Thank you for the acknowledgement and I will be PM'ing you in the near future. There's some things I'd like to share with you.

By the way, I grew up in Bethesda, MD.

I appreciate the welcome and look forward to learning from an HT vet! Man, that cable-management you do is insanely tidy. I looked at the back of my rack last night and I lost sight of all the goodness in the world. lol. What a tangle!

Ah Bethesda? Nice. That's a spectacular area. The only place in the DC/MD/VA area where you can buy a cupcake and a Louis Vuitton travel bag, all on the same strip! lol
post #100 of 3270 Old 03-18-2011, 09:50 AM

Liked: 11
Just wanted to stop in and say that you have a very nice setup BrolicBeast...

Did you get your emo mono blocks yet ?
post #101 of 3270 Old 03-18-2011, 09:59 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goingpoor View Post

Just wanted to stop in and say that you have a very nice setup BrolicBeast...

Did you get your emo mono blocks yet ?

Thanks man! Unfortunately, My XPA-1 dreams are on temporary hold for a month or so. I happened to go to a furniture store to look for a nice lamp, and I ended up leaving with a new Dining Room Set. lol. I still don't know how the lamp--> dining table purchase happened, but my dining room looks spectacular!! lol
post #102 of 3270 Old 03-18-2011, 10:06 AM

Quote:

Thanks man! Unfortunately, My XPA-1 dreams are on temporary hold for a month or so. I happened to go to a furniture store to look for a nice lamp, and I ended up leaving with a new Dining Room Set. lol. I still don't know how the lamp--> dining table purchase happened, but my dining room looks spectacular!! lol

Believe me I know how the furniture store works... I went there for a bedroom set and mattress and walked out with a bedroom set, mattress, new dinning room set, and new living room set. Happy wife means Happy life. Now when I buy new home theater stuff I dont feel so bad
post #103 of 3270 Old 03-18-2011, 10:48 AM

Quote:

Happy wife means Happy life.

It's this line of thinking that made me spend A LOT of money on a kitchen remodeling, just so I could squeeze through a "little" home theater upgrade. The home theater upgrade wound up costing 60% of the kitchen reno, but the wife doesn't need to know that

Ridding the world of ferrets, one stinking critter at a time.

My Ferret-Free Setup
post #104 of 3270 Old 03-18-2011, 11:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

That happens to me only when going to a record store. Or Amazon.
post #105 of 3270 Old 03-18-2011, 01:39 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Believe me I know how the furniture store works... I went there for a bedroom set and mattress and walked out with a bedroom set, mattress, new dinning room set, and new living room set. Happy wife means Happy life. Now when I buy new home theater stuff I dont feel so bad
Man, I thought I got sidetracked. You re-furnished your whole house! lolol. A happy wife does indeed mean a happy life though. Thankfully, I'm in the dating phase, so when my lady scoffs at the price of an iminent purchase, I just laugh as I click "submit".

Quote:
Originally Posted by FerretHunter View Post
It's this line of thinking that made me spend A LOT of money on a kitchen remodeling, just so I could squeeze through a "little" home theater upgrade. The home theater upgrade wound up costing 60% of the kitchen reno, but the wife doesn't need to know that
You were smart in handling that one! I see those monstrous S8's and co. in your theater--that is money well spent! AND with the wife's approval? Can't get any better than that.

Quote:
That happens to me only when going to a record store. Or Amazon.
lol, it's as if our secondary passions battle our first passions, and sometimes manage to win
post #106 of 3270 Old 03-18-2011, 01:45 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

So guys, I am becoming an Analog Stereo CD convert. (Previously, I just listened to everything digitally). One day, I realized two things: 1) I have an extra input on my Cambridge Audio DacMagic; and 2) I have an extra Oppo BDP-83 lying around ever since I replaced it with the 3-D capable BDP-93. So, of course, I inserted the 83 into my system, running optical cable to the DacMagic, and decided to give Dac-Powered stereo CD listening a try.

IT...BLEW...MY...MIND!!!!!

The first song I listened to was Turning Tables from the new CD "21" by Adele. Whoah, the soundstage was insane. I could imagine her in the studio recording right in front of me. Next, I listened to "Landslide" by The Backbeats from the soundtrack to NBC's "The Sing-Off," which records all live performances. I kid you not--i felt like I was THERE in the audience as the group performed the piece. It was amazing.

I just wanted to share this part of my musical journey with you all.
post #107 of 3270 Old 03-18-2011, 03:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrolicBeast
So guys, I am becoming an Analog Stereo CD convert. (Previously, I just listened to everything digitally). One day, I realized two things: 1) I have an extra input on my Cambridge Audio DacMagic; and 2) I have an extra Oppo BDP-83 lying around ever since I replaced it with the 3-D capable BDP-93. So, of course, I inserted the 83 into my system, running optical cable to the DacMagic, and decided to give Dac-Powered stereo CD listening a try.

IT...BLEW...MY...MIND!!!!!

The first song I listened to was Turning Tables from the new CD "21" by Adele. Whoah, the soundstage was insane. I could imagine her in the studio recording right in front of me. Next, I listened to "Landslide" by The Backbeats from the soundtrack to NBC's "The Sing-Off," which records all live performances. I kid you not--i felt like I was THERE in the audience as the group performed the piece. It was amazing.

I just wanted to share this part of my musical journey with you all.
Hows that dac working out ?. Are you using it with your digital music content?
post #108 of 3270 Old 03-18-2011, 08:15 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Hows that dac working out ?. Are you using it with your digital music content?

Absolutely! I probably should have worded my above comment differently. I'm listening to my digital sources converted to analog via the DAC. AND definitely with files from my Sonos Digital Music System and PC. The DAC changed the way i listen to music.

Funny--I purchased it just to "see" if it would make a difference. I had no idea the type of difference it made. If i had to say the one thing that stands out from the rest, it's that the bass from my SVS PB-13 is extremely defined. Definitely more defined (and prominent) than my pre-DAC days.
post #109 of 3270 Old 03-18-2011, 08:49 PM

Quote:

Absolutely! I probably should have worded my above comment differently. I'm listening to my digital sources converted to analog via the DAC. AND definitely with files from my Sonos Digital Music System and PC. The DAC changed the way i listen to music.

Funny--I purchased it just to "see" if it would make a difference. I had no idea the type of difference it made. If i had to say the one thing that stands out from the rest, it's that the bass from my SVS PB-13 is extremely defined. Definitely more defined (and prominent) than my pre-DAC days.

One of the Dac's i'm looking at has a digital input and 2 HDMI inputs. And 2 RCA, and XLR outputs. could I use this for my itunes music collection on my HTPC, input into dac with HDMI and RCA out to home AVR ?

Thanks BrolicBeast
post #110 of 3270 Old 03-18-2011, 09:37 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

One of the Dac's i'm looking at has a digital input and 2 HDMI inputs. And 2 RCA, and XLR outputs. could I use this for my itunes music collection on my HTPC, input into dac with HDMI and RCA out to home AVR ?

Thanks BrolicBeast

Man, I'm going to be honest with you. I'm very new to the DAC world, but in my month or so research, i never came across a DAC with HDMI inputs. I didn't even know they made them--they all just have inputs for Toslink, SPDIF, and USB. I just did a quick search but couldn't find any--could you PM me a link? My hunger for information grows!!!
post #111 of 3270 Old 03-18-2011, 10:06 PM

Quote:

Man, I'm going to be honest with you. I'm very new to the DAC world, but in my month or so research, i never came across a DAC with HDMI inputs. I didn't even know they made them--they all just have inputs for Toslink, SPDIF, and USB. I just did a quick search but couldn't find any--could you PM me a link? My hunger for information grows!!!

No your right... I thought by the pics it was HDMI ports. Its really 2 USB's. I had to do more looking and searching.

I'm looking at the Perfectwave Dac.

Thanks
post #112 of 3270 Old 03-18-2011, 10:09 PM

Let me correct myself again.. the perfectwave does have HDMI inputs

http://www.psaudio.com/ps/products/d...-dac?cat=audio
post #113 of 3270 Old 03-18-2011, 10:45 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Let me correct myself again.. the perfectwave does have HDMI inputs

http://www.psaudio.com/ps/products/d...-dac?cat=audio

wow.....that's a great piece of equipment right there! Thanks for the link! i would love to have this to route my stereo SACD'S through. One day....after my monoblock extravaganza and speaker upgrade, i may seriously consider this.
post #114 of 3270 Old 03-18-2011, 11:14 PM

Quote:

wow.....that's a great piece of equipment right there! Thanks for the link! i would love to have this to route my stereo SACD'S through. One day....after my monoblock extravaganza and speaker upgrade, i may seriously consider this.

I'm loving it... but will wait until this winter.... i just bought two mcintosh amps... the wife would shoot me if i dropped more money ...

gonna keep my eye out on audiogon. Never know what deals you can find..
post #115 of 3270 Old 03-19-2011, 03:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

lol, it's as if our secondary passions battle our first passions, and sometimes manage to win

Well, at least it's related, as Amazon is my other record store. But with the recent revelation on analog listening, a trip to the record store (whether online or B&M) may be in your future, I suspect. I know that as my system expanded and improved, so did my taste in music and the music I would buy.
post #116 of 3270 Old 03-19-2011, 10:17 AM
AVS Special Member

You might appreciate this as well...

http://www.ted.com/index.php/talks/e...to_listen.html

Rare enough to have a classical percussionist, rarer still one who is profoundly deaf. I have some of Ms. Glennie's stuff, and she's very good. Check out the link when you have a half-hour or so to spare. There's more to music (and listening to it) than a lot of us think.
post #117 of 3270 Old 03-20-2011, 08:05 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I'm loving it... but will wait until this winter.... i just bought two mcintosh amps... the wife would shoot me if i dropped more money ...

gonna keep my eye out on audiogon. Never know what deals you can find..

I love the look of the McIntosh Amps. In my opinion, they are the most aesthetically pleasing amps (with Classe Amps coming in at close second). I've never heard one though. I hear their solid-state amps have a tube-esque sound to them. Have you found this to be true? I can definitely understand the reluctance to purchase the PS Audio DAC too soon. The wife would be unhappy, and an unhappy wife means unhappy everything!

Quote:

Well, at least it's related, as Amazon is my other record store. But with the recent revelation on analog listening, a trip to the record store (whether online or B&M) may be in your future, I suspect. I know that as my system expanded and improved, so did my taste in music and the music I would buy.

Ya know, I've actually been looking at record players and would love to get into pure analog--but I don't have the slightest idea where to start. i have no idea what a phono-stage is (I know I just lost 8 million street-cred points), or what makes a great tone-arm. (I've been all-digital until recently). I will have to put in a lot of research before i take the leap to purchasing the perfect turntable. Plus, I have pets that shed--so I have to get one with a great durable cover--that still looks great. *sigh* so many variables.

Quote:

You might appreciate this as well...

http://www.ted.com/index.php/talks/e...to_listen.html

Rare enough to have a classical percussionist, rarer still one who is profoundly deaf. I have some of Ms. Glennie's stuff, and she's very good. Check out the link when you have a half-hour or so to spare. There's more to music (and listening to it) than a lot of us think.

That's for that link! So, I watched this video late last night, and was amazed first at her talent, and then even more at the fact that she was able to truly develop that talent in her youth while being deaf. She is the antithesis to the phrase "I can't."

From the albums of hers that you own, do you have any top suggestions? I'm going to order some of her albums at some point this week.
post #118 of 3270 Old 03-21-2011, 05:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

That's for that link! So, I watched this video late last night, and was amazed first at her talent, and then even more at the fact that she was able to truly develop that talent in her youth while being deaf. She is the antithesis to the phrase "I can't."

From the albums of hers that you own, do you have any top suggestions? I'm going to order some of her albums at some point this week.

I have 2 CDs, a DVD and a laserdisc. As for the CDs, I think Wind in the Bamboo Grove has nice atmosphere. She plays marimba, with sparse accompaniment on some tracks. It's a reflective kind of music, relaxing (to me). I'm thinking of picking up one or two more of her releases myself, as I recently revisited the laserdisc, In Rio/Fiesta, the first part of which chronicles her trip to Rio to participate in the carnaval as a member of one of the batterias and her reflections on the process.

She reminds me of Yo-Yo-Ma in that she experiments and has played with all kinds of people.
post #119 of 3270 Old 03-21-2011, 07:01 PM

Quote:
I love the look of the McIntosh Amps. In my opinion, they are the most aesthetically pleasing amps (with Classe Amps coming in at close second). I've never heard one though. I hear their solid-state amps have a tube-esque sound to them. Have you found this to be true? I can definitely understand the reluctance to purchase the PS Audio DAC too soon. The wife would be unhappy, and an unhappy wife means unhappy everything!
I Have a MC252 I'm using on my L/R and as far as HT use the sound hasn't changed too much maybe none at all. But in 2Ch Music It has given my Focals a whole new life. I can turn up my favorite songs and its soooo smooth and clear without distortion...

I'm waiting on a MC205 (wasn't instock) for the rest of my speakers. Decided to buy my amps first before my new speakers. The speakers I'm looking at Will need more juice.. looking into Higher end Focals. Gonna Wait till next winter to order.

always wanted Mcintosh but didn't want to spend the money. Local dealer made me a deal I couldn't refuse..I think I passed out for a few minutes..

I'd be interested in hearing more about your DAC ? was it a big Difference ? Hows the PS-Audio cord working out ? Did that make a change in sound quality?

Thanks Brolic
post #120 of 3270 Old 03-22-2011, 07:42 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I have 2 CDs, a DVD and a laserdisc. As for the CDs, I think Wind in the Bamboo Grove has nice atmosphere. She plays marimba, with sparse accompaniment on some tracks. It's a reflective kind of music, relaxing (to me). I'm thinking of picking up one or two more of her releases myself, as I recently revisited the laserdisc, In Rio/Fiesta, the first part of which chronicles her trip to Rio to participate in the carnaval as a member of one of the batterias and her reflections on the process.

She reminds me of Yo-Yo-Ma in that she experiments and has played with all kinds of people.

Thanks for those titles. I will be ordering the CDs tonight, and hopefully i can come across some Blu-Rays of her performances. Just out of curiosity, how does Laserdisc sound, compared to its optical successors? I've always heard about Laserdisc, but when that was semi-popular, i don't know where i was in my life. I love the Marimba, and am interested in hearing her collection!

Well, actually, I love the percussion as a whole. From before I could talk, my mother tells me all the time I would mimic the percussion in music and even commercials as an infant. My love for percussions led to a desire to pursue formal training, but the parents agreed that piano was the better choice. It was logical, so i don't fault them for it. I will sit back and live vicariously through Ms. Glennie's work.

Quote:

I Have a MC252 I'm using on my L/R and as far as HT use the sound hasn't changed too much maybe none at all. But in 2Ch Music It has given my Focals a whole new life. I can turn up my favorite songs and its soooo smooth and clear without distortion...

I'm waiting on a MC205 (wasn't instock) for the rest of my speakers. Decided to buy my amps first before my new speakers. The speakers I'm looking at Will need more juice.. looking into Higher end Focals. Gonna Wait till next winter to order.

always wanted Mcintosh but didn't want to spend the money. Local dealer made me a deal I couldn't refuse..I think I passed out for a few minutes..

I'd be interested in hearing more about your DAC ? was it a big Difference ? Hows the PS-Audio cord working out ? Did that make a change in sound quality?

Thanks Brolic

Hey GoingRich....errr...GoingPoor. lol. The Amp-before-speakers path is the best way to go! A good amp will last for one or two decades.

As far as the DAC goes, the difference was indeed large. I'm going to record a DAC/No DAC comparison of a music snippet. The difference is large enough that I think even my HD video camera will be able to catch it. I'll post the comparison video to youtube and post a notification in this thread (click on my signature to access the youtube page)

With the PS Audio Cord, there's definitely a sound difference, but it's only prominent when i listen to recordings of stringed instruments (Yo Yo Ma's Suite for Cello No. 1 comes to mind) you here more texture in the strings being played. Ti make sure this was no plecebo effect, i did A/B comparisons with that particular piece. (Both cords were plugged into the power conditioner, so i just alternated the equipment-end cords.) The difference is certainly there, but it's not a game-changer. Honestly, the ridiculously solid build quality is just as much my reason for keeping it as the slight increase in stringed texture.
Reply What's Your System Configuration

Tags
Emotiva Xpr 1 , Marantz Av8801 , Jvc Dla Rs66 , Cambridge Audio Azur Dacmagic 100 Silver , Oppo Bdp 105 Blu Ray Player , Panamax M5300 Pm 11 Outlet Clean Power Level 4 Black
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page