BrolicBeast's Living Room Theater - Page 43 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #1261 of 3341 Old 01-01-2013, 10:57 AM
AVS Special Member
 
pcweber111's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: In a van, down by the river.
Posts: 3,568
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 265
Happy New Years Matt, this is a big upgrade year for you! smile.gif
pcweber111 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #1262 of 3341 Old 01-01-2013, 11:23 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
BrolicBeast's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Charles County, MD
Posts: 3,050
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 259 Post(s)
Liked: 353
Quote:
Originally Posted by pcweber111 View Post

That's the goal, man. Way to go. cool.gif

Happy New Year! man.....Yeah, it was sheer excellence! I was quite pleased!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by wkingincharge View Post

See now that's what I am talking about !!!
Good stuff there!!!

'Twas quite the welcome surprise man...I was grinninng for a good 10 minutes straight last night!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Franin View Post

+1

COS(+1*TAN45) biggrin.gif
Quote:
Originally Posted by Franin View Post

Matt happy new year mate.

Hey, Happy New Year to you too Frank! I wish you and your family the best in 2013. What's Australia's iconic New Years celebration? Here in the states, we watch a giant ball descend a vertical rail atop the Empire State Building in New York. I'd love to hear an international practice!
Quote:
Originally Posted by hometheatergeek View Post

Happy New years Matt. May the upgrade gods shine down on you this year. biggrin.gif

Happy Hsu Year to you, Al! I hope this new year brings you and your system much enjoyment!
Quote:
Originally Posted by jnnt29 View Post

Happy new years!. I can't wait to see what 2013 brings to your Home Theater. JT

Greeting JT! Happy New Year man...I feel that 2013 shall be a superb year for us all.
Quote:
Originally Posted by aldiallo View Post

Happy New Year you all!!
Way to go Matt, that's the ultimate goal to get the feeling that your in a real theather! cool.gif
Finally after some time running a 4.1 setup, a center speaker will be making it's way home in the next few days if all goes well. smile.gif

Happy New Year Al! What's France's major New Year celebration? Ah, excellent.....the full 5.1 is coming. Which center model will you be getting?
BrolicBeast is online now  
post #1263 of 3341 Old 01-01-2013, 12:50 PM
Member
 
aldiallo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 165
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Thanks Matt!

I'm going for the Q600C from Kef, the speakers are the same sizes as my mains so should be all good
aldiallo is offline  
post #1264 of 3341 Old 01-01-2013, 01:06 PM
AVS Special Member
 
MIkeDuke's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: eastern PA
Posts: 6,327
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 145 Post(s)
Liked: 80
Happy Happy New Year. I look forward to seeing the videos of any new products you buy. That post about your wife not remembering that you saw Star Trek in your theater and not the outside theater was great. That is the goal. I hope you have a good year smile.gif.

It ain't easy being green.
My System
MIkeDuke is offline  
post #1265 of 3341 Old 01-01-2013, 01:06 PM
AVS Special Member
 
prepress's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Brooklyn, NY
Posts: 3,380
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked: 68
This thread could replace reality TV! The upgrades, both completed and planned, add a touch of drama that is quite interesting. No wonder I keep peeking at it.

Thumbs up! cool.gif
prepress is offline  
post #1266 of 3341 Old 01-02-2013, 07:37 AM
CIH USER
 
Franin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Western Australia
Posts: 17,593
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 299 Post(s)
Liked: 299
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrolicBeast View Post


Hey, Happy New Year to you too Frank! I wish you and your family the best in 2013. What's Australia's iconic New Years celebration? Here in the states, we watch a giant ball descend a vertical rail atop the Empire State Building in New York. I'd love to hear an international practice!
Happy Hsu Year to you, Al! I hope this new year brings you and your system much enjoyment!

In the West where we are we don't have anything ionic, we just count down and then fireworks. Apart from people getting drunk and beating each other up in the city it usually goes quiet well.
Burgundy83 likes this.

_________________________

Frank
Franin is offline  
post #1267 of 3341 Old 01-02-2013, 10:51 AM
Newbie
 
Burgundy83's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 12
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Lady Brolic here...This is the unadulterated truth! His theater is so awesome that I just knew we saw it in the theater smile.gif
Burgundy83 is offline  
post #1268 of 3341 Old 01-02-2013, 11:46 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
BrolicBeast's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Charles County, MD
Posts: 3,050
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 259 Post(s)
Liked: 353
Quote:
Originally Posted by aldiallo View Post

Thanks Matt!
I'm going for the Q600C from Kef, the speakers are the same sizes as my mains so should be all good

Nice!! Hey Al, is the tv mount on the back of your rack detachable? Or will you have to get a new rack once you go the projector route?
Quote:
Originally Posted by MIkeDuke View Post

Happy Happy New Year. I look forward to seeing the videos of any new products you buy. That post about your wife not remembering that you saw Star Trek in your theater and not the outside theater was great. That is the goal. I hope you have a good year smile.gif.

Sir Mike, Protector of the Sylvanian Vale! Thanks man, I would like to wish you best in 2013 and I hope that thy crowsons continue to rattle thine seats for years to come!
Quote:
Originally Posted by prepress View Post

This thread could replace reality TV! The upgrades, both completed and planned, add a touch of drama that is quite interesting. No wonder I keep peeking at it.
Thumbs up! cool.gif

Hey Prepress, thanks a lot for this! Man, talking about drama...Sat night when I went to sell my projector, we tested it and the lamp wouldn't arc. Apparently, the bulb got damaged somehow in the drive to Fairfax and I almost didn't have a sale. Thankfully, the buyer had a damaged RS40 lying and he was able to put his old bulb into my projector and everything tested perfectly. *whew*...If he hadn't had the extra bulb, I would have completely lost the sale + the $300 cost of a new bulb. Close call.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franin View Post

In the West where we are we don't have anything ionic, we just count down and then fireworks. Apart from people getting drunk and beating each other up in the city it usually goes quiet well.

Excellent! I'm not a fan of large events and crowds, so New Year's Day in Western Australia sounds...well...PERFECT!!! (except for the drunken brawling in the city, of course).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burgundy83 View Post

Lady Brolic here...This is the unadulterated truth! His theater is so awesome that I just knew we saw it in the theater smile.gif

That's right darlin' wink.gif ...lol....we have to snap some photos of your Oppo-based two-channel rig to post here on the wonderful WYSC forum! These great guys are why I am always on my phone/tablet/computer.
BrolicBeast is online now  
post #1269 of 3341 Old 01-02-2013, 12:13 PM
AVS Special Member
 
MIkeDuke's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: eastern PA
Posts: 6,327
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 145 Post(s)
Liked: 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrolicBeast View Post

Sir Mike, Protector of the Sylvanian Vale! Thanks man, I would like to wish you best in 2013 and I hope that thy crowsons continue to rattle thine seats for years to come!
Thanks. The Crowsons do there thing very well. TDKR is simply out of this world with them. I have a few more things to do. Hopefully I can get two of them done this year. Some of them are not cheap. You are going to get the Crowsons right? If you do, you will be very happy with the results. If I can make a suggestion though. Just don't think you have to crank the amp you are using all the way up. These are very sensitive and they really only need the volume up a bit. Start of low and then slowly inch it up. Right now I have my Butt Kicker amp at close to 3 and it it feels great. That's 3 out of 10 I think.

It ain't easy being green.
My System
MIkeDuke is offline  
post #1270 of 3341 Old 01-02-2013, 12:42 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
BrolicBeast's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Charles County, MD
Posts: 3,050
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 259 Post(s)
Liked: 353
Quote:
Originally Posted by MIkeDuke View Post

Thanks. The Crowsons do there thing very well. TDKR is simply out of this world with them. I have a few more things to do. Hopefully I can get two of them done this year. Some of them are not cheap. You are going to get the Crowsons right? If you do, you will be very happy with the results. If I can make a suggestion though. Just don't think you have to crank the amp you are using all the way up. These are very sensitive and they really only need the volume up a bit. Start of low and then slowly inch it up. Right now I have my Butt Kicker amp at close to 3 and it it feels great. That's 3 out of 10 I think.

You are correct indeed. My Crowson transducers will be arriving tomorrow. Two of them! The Behringer iNukeDSP amplifier and all associated wiring (substantial need for a variety of adapters) are already set up and ready, so all I need to do is plug and play. Thanks for the tip on the volume, because I may have actually tried turning the gain up high right out of the gate. You might have just saved me some Crowson overload damage. Since the theater is currently devoid of speakers, except for subwoofers, that kind of makes it easy to dial the Crowsons in sync with the subwoofers. Soon, I will know what has you and craig john this enthused! I’ve never personally experienced a “bass shaker” before, although I did experience D-Box back in 2006 and found it’s price:function ratio to be severely wanting. Thankfully, I’m familiar with the concept of “bass shakers” and I know that the effect is far more seamless! I am quite excited.

My first movie with the Crowsons will be The Dark Knight Rises, once the RS56 and new speakers are up and running. Although I’ve seen it already, it’s absolute reference and must be re-watched with the transducers!!! Honestly, I would love to make this inaugural night (will also be the first movie I watch with the new speakers and the RS56) an AVS movie night, but I’m hesitant because everyone is spread across so many states…well, that, and the fact that in my townhouse development, visitors parking is about 3/4ths of a city-block away from my house frown.gif
BrolicBeast is online now  
post #1271 of 3341 Old 01-02-2013, 12:49 PM
Member
 
aldiallo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 165
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Hi Matt,

Yes the tv is detachable but I'll keep in place for the time being, the speaker is now in place and it's quite big, the 5509 looks small next to it!

I'll need to change my cables between the 5509 and the power with less rigid cables so that I can place the 5509 back inside the rack. smile.gif
aldiallo is offline  
post #1272 of 3341 Old 01-02-2013, 12:52 PM
AVS Special Member
 
COACH2369's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Knoxville, TN
Posts: 1,715
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 100 Post(s)
Liked: 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrolicBeast View Post

You are correct indeed. My Crowson transducers will be arriving tomorrow. Two of them! The Behringer iNukeDSP amplifier and all associated wiring (substantial need for a variety of adapters) are already set up and ready, so all I need to do is plug and play. Thanks for the tip on the volume, because I may have actually tried turning the gain up high right out of the gate. You might have just saved me some Crowson overload damage. Since the theater is currently devoid of speakers, except for subwoofers, that kind of makes it easy to dial the Crowsons in sync with the subwoofers. Soon, I will know what has you and craig john this enthused! I’ve never personally experienced a “bass shaker” before, although I did experience D-Box back in 2006 and found it’s price:function ratio to be severely wanting. Thankfully, I’m familiar with the concept of “bass shakers” and I know that the effect is far more seamless! I am quite excited.
My first movie with the Crowsons will be The Dark Knight Rises, once the RS56 and new speakers are up and running. Although I’ve seen it already, it’s absolute reference and must be re-watched with the transducers!!! Honestly, I would love to make this inaugural night (will also be the first movie I watch with the new speakers and the RS56) an AVS movie night, but I’m hesitant because everyone is spread across so many states…well, that, and the fact that in my townhouse development, visitors parking is about 3/4ths of a city-block away from my house frown.gif

I would be there if you had one and it worked with my schedule.... The RS56 is on my "want" list for my proejctor upgrade this year(once I change out my speakers)

Speaking of speakers...I am anxiously awaiting your decision on which direction you will be going..
COACH2369 is offline  
post #1273 of 3341 Old 01-02-2013, 01:07 PM
AVS Special Member
 
pcweber111's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: In a van, down by the river.
Posts: 3,568
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 265
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrolicBeast View Post

That's right darlin' wink.gif ...lol....we have to snap some photos of your Oppo-based two-channel rig to post here on the wonderful WYSC forum! These great guys are why I am always on my phone/tablet/computer.

Oh man, you got her started with her own system? Let's all welcome her to the darkside. Muwahaha....
pcweber111 is offline  
post #1274 of 3341 Old 01-02-2013, 01:26 PM
AVS Special Member
 
MIkeDuke's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: eastern PA
Posts: 6,327
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 145 Post(s)
Liked: 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrolicBeast View Post

You are correct indeed. My Crowson transducers will be arriving tomorrow. Two of them! The Behringer iNukeDSP amplifier and all associated wiring (substantial need for a variety of adapters) are already set up and ready, so all I need to do is plug and play. Thanks for the tip on the volume, because I may have actually tried turning the gain up high right out of the gate. You might have just saved me some Crowson overload damage. Since the theater is currently devoid of speakers, except for subwoofers, that kind of makes it easy to dial the Crowsons in sync with the subwoofers. Soon, I will know what has you and craig john this enthused! I’ve never personally experienced a “bass shaker” before, although I did experience D-Box back in 2006 and found it’s price:function ratio to be severely wanting. Thankfully, I’m familiar with the concept of “bass shakers” and I know that the effect is far more seamless! I am quite excited.
My first movie with the Crowsons will be The Dark Knight Rises, once the RS56 and new speakers are up and running. Although I’ve seen it already, it’s absolute reference and must be re-watched with the transducers!!! Honestly, I would love to make this inaugural night (will also be the first movie I watch with the new speakers and the RS56) an AVS movie night, but I’m hesitant because everyone is spread across so many states…well, that, and the fact that in my townhouse development, visitors parking is about 3/4ths of a city-block away from my house frown.gif
I know the temptation is there to just crank them. I don't know how much power your amp is but my amp is 1000 watts into 4 ohms. So I am not saying they can't take the power. But when I got my amp, which was the same model as Craig, in theory, I toasted it when I put it up to the same level as when Craig brought over his amp when I tested it out. I watched TRON. It was fried when he was transported to "The Grid". That was at 5 I think. My amp must have a higher gain setting then Craig's even though they are the same. Well, his is a BKA-1000 and mine is a BKA-1000N. So when I got it back I was very careful and I started at 2 and I slowly inched my way up to 3. Again, I don't know how powerful your amp is or how sensitive the level is. The Butt Kicker is very sensitive as it has an infinity style volume knob. Just don't go crazy when you first get them. I know I am safe because Tron was the movie that fried it the first time and now Tron is fine. Just help me out again, what speakers are on "the list". The Crowson WILL bring an entirely new level of movie watching to your experience. When you watch Tron, that will be fun as well. I am looking forward to hearing you thoughts when you have some time with them.

It ain't easy being green.
My System
MIkeDuke is offline  
post #1275 of 3341 Old 01-02-2013, 05:27 PM
Senior Member
 
wkingincharge's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Maryland Area
Posts: 282
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrolicBeast View Post

You are correct indeed. My Crowson transducers will be arriving tomorrow. Two of them! The Behringer iNukeDSP amplifier and all associated wiring (substantial need for a variety of adapters) are already set up and ready, so all I need to do is plug and play. Thanks for the tip on the volume, because I may have actually tried turning the gain up high right out of the gate. You might have just saved me some Crowson overload damage. Since the theater is currently devoid of speakers, except for subwoofers, that kind of makes it easy to dial the Crowsons in sync with the subwoofers. Soon, I will know what has you and craig john this enthused! I’ve never personally experienced a “bass shaker” before, although I did experience D-Box back in 2006 and found it’s price:function ratio to be severely wanting. Thankfully, I’m familiar with the concept of “bass shakers” and I know that the effect is far more seamless! I am quite excited.
My first movie with the Crowsons will be The Dark Knight Rises, once the RS56 and new speakers are up and running. Although I’ve seen it already, it’s absolute reference and must be re-watched with the transducers!!! Honestly, I would love to make this inaugural night (will also be the first movie I watch with the new speakers and the RS56) an AVS movie night, but I’m hesitant because everyone is spread across so many states…well, that, and the fact that in my townhouse development, visitors parking is about 3/4ths of a city-block away from my house frown.gif

Good choice on the movie to break it all in when the time comes!!! Hey man if you decide to do a grand movie night system testing and I am around there be no problem for me stopping through for a bit lol!! Of course you know this means that I will probably be motivated to get something new afterwards for my room which here lately is projection for the new room I am building by summer hopefully.
wkingincharge is offline  
post #1276 of 3341 Old 01-02-2013, 07:44 PM
AVS Special Member
 
pokekevin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Huntington Beach, CA
Posts: 5,071
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 101
have you considered triad speakers? platinum lcr? Or golds?

No subwoofer I've heard has been able to produce the bass I've experienced in the Corps!

Must..stop...buying...every bluray release...
pokekevin is offline  
post #1277 of 3341 Old 01-03-2013, 12:59 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
BrolicBeast's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Charles County, MD
Posts: 3,050
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 259 Post(s)
Liked: 353
Quote:
Originally Posted by aldiallo View Post

Hi Matt,
Yes the tv is detachable but I'll keep in place for the time being, the speaker is now in place and it's quite big, the 5509 looks small next to it!
I'll need to change my cables between the 5509 and the power with less rigid cables so that I can place the 5509 back inside the rack. smile.gif

Ah....the eternal cost of HT. Are you running rca or xlr interconnects?
Quote:
Originally Posted by COACH2369 View Post

I would be there if you had one and it worked with my schedule.... The RS56 is on my "want" list for my proejctor upgrade this year(once I change out my speakers)
Speaking of speakers...I am anxiously awaiting your decision on which direction you will be going..

Thanks man...i'm glad to know you'd be willing. I'll definitely let you know If I end up having one! Lol.....I'm also anxiously waiting to see which speaker direction I take. I love the Legacys, and the Cat-12's are still a possibility, but Wabo, OhYeah, and Jslaw's setups have me also considering Martin Logans now as well.
Quote:
Originally Posted by pcweber111 View Post

Oh man, you got her started with her own system? Let's all welcome her to the darkside. Muwahaha....

Lol....she has indeed been welcomed, and she shall soon find herself sucked in by the allure of "the next best" piece of gear.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MIkeDuke View Post

I know the temptation is there to just crank them. I don't know how much power your amp is but my amp is 1000 watts into 4 ohms. So I am not saying they can't take the power. But when I got my amp, which was the same model as Craig, in theory, I toasted it when I put it up to the same level as when Craig brought over his amp when I tested it out. I watched TRON. It was fried when he was transported to "The Grid". That was at 5 I think. My amp must have a higher gain setting then Craig's even though they are the same. Well, his is a BKA-1000 and mine is a BKA-1000N. So when I got it back I was very careful and I started at 2 and I slowly inched my way up to 3. Again, I don't know how powerful your amp is or how sensitive the level is. The Butt Kicker is very sensitive as it has an infinity style volume knob. Just don't go crazy when you first get them. I know I am safe because Tron was the movie that fried it the first time and now Tron is fine. Just help me out again, what speakers are on "the list". The Crowson WILL bring an entirely new level of movie watching to your experience. When you watch Tron, that will be fun as well. I am looking forward to hearing you thoughts when you have some time with them.

Ahhhh...Tron is a bass wonderland! Man......I will definitely be testing that out as well! My behringer amp is 1000w (500/channel) btw. My Crowsons just arrived and I'm going to try to record the installation steps.
Quote:
Originally Posted by wkingincharge View Post

Good choice on the movie to break it all in when the time comes!!! Hey man if you decide to do a grand movie night system testing and I am around there be no problem for me stopping through for a bit lol!! Of course you know this means that I will probably be motivated to get something new afterwards for my room which here lately is projection for the new room I am building by summer hopefully.

Cool man, I'll definitely let you know! You're building a dedicated room? Or multi-purpose? That's an exciting prospect!
Quote:
Originally Posted by pokekevin View Post

have you considered triad speakers? platinum lcr? Or golds?

Yezzir! But, when all is said and done, for over $12k, my speakers need to look like furniture too. Lol.
BrolicBeast is online now  
post #1278 of 3341 Old 01-03-2013, 03:45 PM
Member
 
aldiallo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 165
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrolicBeast View Post

Ah....the eternal cost of HT. Are you running rca or xlr interconnects?

I'm running on Tara Labs RSC xlr interconnects but the cables are too rigid so had to placed the 5509 outside the rack; if I change the interconnects for a more flexible ones, I will be able to stick the 5509 back into the rack and leave the center speaker alone on top of the rack, at least, that's the plan.
aldiallo is offline  
post #1279 of 3341 Old 01-03-2013, 04:02 PM
AVS Special Member
 
MIkeDuke's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: eastern PA
Posts: 6,327
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 145 Post(s)
Liked: 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrolicBeast View Post

Ahhhh...Tron is a bass wonderland! Man......I will definitely be testing that out as well! My behringer amp is 1000w (500/channel) btw. My Crowsons just arrived and I'm going to try to record the installation steps.

So each one will get 500 watts? That should be perfect. But I still recomend starting of low on the level and slowly moving it up as needed. Looking forward to your thoughts and any new videos that document it.

It ain't easy being green.
My System
MIkeDuke is offline  
post #1280 of 3341 Old 01-03-2013, 07:27 PM
Senior Member
 
wkingincharge's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Maryland Area
Posts: 282
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrolicBeast View Post

Cool man, I'll definitely let you know! You're building a dedicated room? Or multi-purpose? That's an exciting prospect!

I am on the fence of both options right now since I tend to switch back and forth so much between music and movie watching. The audio is pretty solid but the video presentation needs to match a bit better so I want to jump up too at least 100 inches but there are so many question to answer still such as projector make and aspect ratio etc room size but these are good problems.
wkingincharge is offline  
post #1281 of 3341 Old 01-05-2013, 03:02 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
BrolicBeast's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Charles County, MD
Posts: 3,050
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 259 Post(s)
Liked: 353
Crowson Tactile Transducer (Shadow 8) Impressions

Ladies and gentlemen,

My Crowson Transducers have arrived and have been installed under my theater seats (along with the isolators--the installation of which was quite difficult with my particular "under-the-seat" architecture. I am highly impressed.

The initial installation had me severely underwhelmed, as--unbeknownst to me at the time--my amplifier simply was not setup correctly. So after the initial disappointment, I connected my laptop to my Behringer iNuke1000DSP amplifier via USB cable [***hint-hint, Lumagen***]. The Behringer amplifier dedicated to the actuators, and once connected, I began tweaking with the settings. I was able to modify delay, crossover, Low Pass Filter, and the type of LPF. The manual says to start the LPF setting at 300Hz and work your way down until you reach a level of comfort. I began at the opposite end of the spectrum and started with a 40Hz LPF, which turned out to be too low for my tastes. I've been raising it little by little (while updating the Oppo's crossover settings as well, since it is the signal source) and am currently at 80Hz. I'm sure this number will change soon. I used the Pod Emergence Scene from War of the Worlds and the Plane Crash scene from Flight of the Phoenix to help set my amplifier output adequately. The gain ended up being about half way across the dial (approximately 15\30 notches. Finalizing these settings really brought out the Crowsons' best performance! The Crowson Transducers are the real deal. Believe it or not, they add an extra dimension to audible enjoyment that I had never experienced. The vibration response is very tight and will respond to bass signals just as quickly as your subwoofer will in, not only signal reproduction, bit also in signal intensity reproduction. One thing that a guest pointed out was that "there are differing levels of vibration." That's right--these transducers vibrate at a 1:1 ratio with the intensity of the bass onscreen. For those with less-than-stellar subwoofers, you can simply modify the delay settings to match your existing subwoofer response. These actuators have no issue translating and delivering cheek-penetrating LFE signals to the buttocks and arms at any levels your amplifier can handle. no matter your height or weight, these actuators deliver.

Also, if anybody is considering a subwoofer upgrade, I would strongly suggest trying a Crowson transducer system before spending the $ on a new sub. For testing purposes, turned off my Submersives and popped in my old Emotiva Ultra Sub12, and the effect was still remarkable. Now, good bass reproduction is still an essential part of any theater, but these Crowsons can make sure you get every single ounce of "perceived" performance out of your current setup.

I'd also like to add that anybody with a basic understanding of crossovers can set up a Crowson Transducer nicely. To truly dial it in,having more than one person and a deeper understanding of some audio fundamentals can go a long way, although they are not necessary to offer a great experience.

Associated Connections:
  • Signal Source: Oppo BDP 105 [Analog Subwoofer Output serves as LFE signal source for unaltered bass signal]
    |||
    Feeds:
    |||
  • Power Source: Behringer iNuke1000DSP [Running in Bridged Mode, providing approximately 650w to the 8 Ohm Crowsons--capable of 1000 total watts for previous crowson 6 Ohm models)
    |||
    Feeds:
    |||
  • Output Device: Crowson Shadow-8 Tactile Transducer (2).
BrolicBeast is online now  
post #1282 of 3341 Old 01-05-2013, 08:43 PM
AVS Special Member
 
MIkeDuke's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: eastern PA
Posts: 6,327
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 145 Post(s)
Liked: 80
Well, it sounds like a winner to me smile.gif. Now you can go back and watch all of your best bass movies again and it will be like a new experience. I know that I will never have a system without them. I figured a little tweaking was needed. I think for me I have the crossover at 40Hz. I just wanted it as a bottom feeders and for me, it works out really well. But playing arround with them is half the fun. I think my amp has 11 "notches"(yea, it goes to 11 tongue.gif) and I have mine on 3. Again, I think it's 1000 watts into 4ohms and it's 1900 into 2ohms. I have it 4ohm mode so it's giving me 1000 watts. Have fun. It seems to have worked out and I am glad for that. Looking forward to any other thoughts you may have.

It ain't easy being green.
My System
MIkeDuke is offline  
post #1283 of 3341 Old 01-06-2013, 08:15 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
BrolicBeast's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Charles County, MD
Posts: 3,050
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 259 Post(s)
Liked: 353
Crowson Tactile Effects System (TES) Unboxing

This Crowson TES will change your life!!
BrolicBeast is online now  
post #1284 of 3341 Old 01-06-2013, 08:33 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
BrolicBeast's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Charles County, MD
Posts: 3,050
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 259 Post(s)
Liked: 353
Quote:
Originally Posted by MIkeDuke View Post

Well, it sounds like a winner to me smile.gif. Now you can go back and watch all of your best bass movies again and it will be like a new experience. I know that I will never have a system without them. I figured a little tweaking was needed. I think for me I have the crossover at 40Hz. I just wanted it as a bottom feeders and for me, it works out really well. But playing arround with them is half the fun. I think my amp has 11 "notches"(yea, it goes to 11 tongue.gif) and I have mine on 3. Again, I think it's 1000 watts into 4ohms and it's 1900 into 2ohms. I have it 4ohm mode so it's giving me 1000 watts. Have fun. It seems to have worked out and I am glad for that. Looking forward to any other thoughts you may have.

You know, it's funny.....my amp has a total output of 1000w (500wpc) for 2 ohm speakers! For 8 ohm devices, it's total output is at around 650wpc, which gives it about 325wpc, which, of course, is plenty for a bass shaker. I had to switch from dual mono to bridged mode, because in dual mono, the amp was only shooting 168wpc to 8ohms (which my Crowsons are.).

Lol@the amp going to "11.". That is tempting! Btw, your advice on starting low might have saved me quite a bit of money, as I know for sure that I definitely don't need full volume for these monsters and starting at Max would have fried the Crowson, the amp, or both!!, man I like it with a fairly high LPG setting...in TDKR (only demoed so,e scenes on secondary screen since I'm still awaiting projector delivery) when the bat plane swoops down in front of the "tumblers".....wow! Party under my pants! biggrin.gif
BrolicBeast is online now  
post #1285 of 3341 Old 01-06-2013, 10:30 PM
CIH USER
 
Franin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Western Australia
Posts: 17,593
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 299 Post(s)
Liked: 299
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrolicBeast View Post

You know, it's funny.....my amp has a total output of 1000w (500wpc) for 2 ohm speakers! For 8 ohm devices, it's total output is at around 650wpc, which gives it about 325wpc, which, of course, is plenty for a bass shaker. I had to switch from dual mono to bridged mode, because in dual mono, the amp was only shooting 168wpc to 8ohms (which my Crowsons are.).
Lol@the amp going to "11.". That is tempting! Btw, your advice on starting low might have saved me quite a bit of money, as I know for sure that I definitely don't need full volume for these monsters and starting at Max would have fried the Crowson, the amp, or both!!, man I like it with a fairly high LPG setting...in TDKR (only demoed so,e scenes on secondary screen since I'm still awaiting projector delivery) when the bat plane swoops down in front of the "tumblers".....wow! Party under my pants! biggrin.gif

Sounds very good Matt congrats on the upgrade I just finished watching your video, was good. Im glad you did the soprano bit biggrin.gif

_________________________

Frank
Franin is offline  
post #1286 of 3341 Old 01-07-2013, 05:33 AM
AVS Special Member
 
MIkeDuke's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: eastern PA
Posts: 6,327
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 145 Post(s)
Liked: 80
Great video Matt. I am happy that they are giving you the same experience they are for me and are working out for you, That amp is pretty neat. All the ways you can configure it is pretty impressive. Again, my amp is a mono amp putting out 1000 watts so that's why 3 is plenty for me. I watched The Amazing Spider Man and that had some good moments as well. Again, glad you are happy with the results.

It ain't easy being green.
My System
MIkeDuke is offline  
post #1287 of 3341 Old 01-07-2013, 07:52 AM
Member
 
aldiallo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 165
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Franin View Post

Sounds very good Matt congrats on the upgrade I just finished watching your video, was good. Im glad you did the soprano bit biggrin.gif
I'm with you Frank!! cool.gif
aldiallo is offline  
post #1288 of 3341 Old 01-07-2013, 10:36 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
BrolicBeast's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Charles County, MD
Posts: 3,050
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 259 Post(s)
Liked: 353
Thanks guys! I can honestly say that If I had discovered Crowsons back when I had my SVS PB-13 Ultra, I might not have upgraded to the Submersives. that being said, I'm VERY happy that I did upgrade. Al and Frank, you've got to try them! Mike, I think I need to watch the full TDKR blu ray again. I used some demo scenes along with some from WotW scenes to fine-tune, but I won't be watching a full movie until next weekend. yeah the full 500wpc definitely explains the "3" setting on your amp..do your seats share a transducer the way Craig's are setup? I'm already looking at getting another Transducer for my 3rd seat (right now, only my left and middle seats are served.)

Strangely, I find that my "placeholder" Infinity Primus speakers are quite good...not great, but good....and I can definitely live with them until my speaker upgrade is a reality. I'll be demoing the Legacy speakers this weekend, however, my options are still open. Cat-12C's are still an option, and If i can snag some 802D's at a great price....
BrolicBeast is online now  
post #1289 of 3341 Old 01-07-2013, 10:44 AM
Member
 
devotech's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Planet Earth
Posts: 191
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 14
First time seeing this setup. i really dig it and the layout is probably exactly the way I would do it. I think most people prefer to have the screen on the shorter wall and sit farther away, but not me. Well done. Still like the Klipsch after all of the years?

devotech is offline  
post #1290 of 3341 Old 01-07-2013, 10:48 AM
AVS Special Member
 
MIkeDuke's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: eastern PA
Posts: 6,327
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 145 Post(s)
Liked: 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrolicBeast View Post

Thanks guys! I can honestly say that If I had discovered Crowsons back when I had my SVS PB-13 Ultra, I might not have upgraded to the Submersives. that being said, I'm VERY happy that I did upgrade. Al and Frank, you've got to try them! Mike, I think I need to watch the full TDKR blu ray again. I used some demo scenes along with some from WotW scenes to fine-tune, but I won't be watching a full movie until next weekend. yeah the full 500wpc definitely explains the "3" setting on your amp..do your seats share a transducer the way Craig's are setup? I'm already looking at getting another Transducer for my 3rd seat (right now, only my left and middle seats are served.)
Strangely, I find that my "placeholder" Infinity Primus speakers are quite good...not great, but good....and I can definitely live with them until my speaker upgrade is a reality. I'll be demoing the Legacy speakers this weekend, however, my options are still open. Cat-12C's are still an option, and If i can snag some 802D's at a great price....
It's really a single channel amp with 1000 watts not 500. I don't have a riser and my Lazy Boy chairs are not connected. We just placed the one Transducer under the chair that I sit in. It had holes already so we just placed the footers in three other places to even out the chair. I don't have a riser so my main chair is the only one that shakes. I think Craig's system may shake a bit more than mine simply because he is using a riser and I am sure that does something. I remember thinking to myself when I went over his place that I thought he had a bit more shake then me, But I am not complaining. I still get that holy crap moment plenty of times.

It ain't easy being green.
My System
MIkeDuke is offline  
Reply What's Your System Configuration

Tags
Emotiva Xpr 1 , Marantz Av8801 , Jvc Dla Rs66 , Cambridge Audio Azur Dacmagic 100 Silver , Oppo Bdp 105 Blu Ray Player , Panamax M5300 Pm 11 Outlet Clean Power Level 4 Black
Gear in this thread - Av8801 by PriceGrabber.com

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off