post #1351 of 3333 Old 01-15-2013, 06:44 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 223 Post(s)
Liked: 332
Quote:
Originally Posted by Franin View Post

The Stewart tends to bring out the detail a bit more. Regarding the noise thats not your Darbee Darblet ? I remeber mine tend to bring out alot of noise.

Oh yes, the Stewart is not responsible in any way for any noise I experience. It is a very clear, detailed screen and only shows the image it is given. The Darblet definitely introduces noise in some films, which was compounded by my 11-12ft viewing distance (the main reason I got the RS56 with eShift2). The Elite screen masked the noise at my viewing distance, but that’s just a testament to the absolute clarity of the Stewart. This Elite screen is remarkable for close or distance viewing though. There’s no doubt that the Elite is intended for smaller rooms, and the Steward is—of course—intended for larger or dedicated rooms. I absolutely love my Stewart and am glad I chose this screen over the Black Diamond G3, although the BD G3 is also a remarkable screen.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1352 of 3333 Old 01-15-2013, 08:14 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:

The Stewart tends to bring out the detail a bit more. Regarding the noise thats not your Darbee Darblet ? I remeber mine tend to bring out alot of noise.

I experienced this "noise" as well on both my plasma and projector. While it was more tolerable on my projector, it became a nuisance on the plasma. Ultimately the noise, and more so the HDMI handshake and other various bugs, led me to return the unit. Perhaps the next generation of the product will be the one to get for my projector. The results were negligible at best for my plasma, but the real benefit was on front projection. Since a lot of the pro reviews are using projectors to test their video processors out, I believe this is why we are seeing so much praise for the Darbee. Prior to initially purchasing mine, I did read a couple of negative reviews from VT50 owners that claimed mixed results.

Has anyone else noticed that if you tweak the sharpness setting to +1 on the Oppo, it produces very similar results of the Darbee?
post #1353 of 3333 Old 01-15-2013, 09:27 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SergeantYnot View Post

I experienced this "noise" as well on both my plasma and projector. While it was more tolerable on my projector, it became a nuisance on the plasma. Ultimately the noise, and more so the HDMI handshake and other various bugs, led me to return the unit. Perhaps the next generation of the product will be the one to get for my projector. The results were negligible at best for my plasma, but the real benefit was on front projection. Since a lot of the pro reviews are using projectors to test their video processors out, I believe this is why we are seeing so much praise for the Darbee. Prior to initially purchasing mine, I did read a couple of negative reviews from VT50 owners that claimed mixed results.

Has anyone else noticed that if you tweak the sharpness setting to +1 on the Oppo, it produces very similar results of the Darbee?

i remember coming across this in the Darbee thread. I tried it, but it didn't replicate the Darbee effect 1:1. The Oppo's Contrast Enhancement option comes a bit closer, but the Darbee continues to do something extra that these functions can't replicate' I'm going to test out Darbee on eShift2 tonight on a noisy movie (The Hunger Games) to see how the JVC RS56's eShift2 function battles film noise AND Darbee noise together simultaneously.
post #1354 of 3333 Old 01-15-2013, 01:52 PM
Advanced Member

Dredd would be another good test file for grain.
post #1355 of 3333 Old 01-15-2013, 03:40 PM
CIH USER

Quoted: 228 Post(s)
Liked: 264
Quote:

The handshake became too much which made me sell the unit. I like it the way it is now.

Frank
post #1356 of 3333 Old 01-15-2013, 10:39 PM
CIH USER

Quote:

That I did not know thank you for that.

Frank
post #1357 of 3333 Old 01-15-2013, 10:42 PM
CIH USER

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrolicBeast View Post

although the BD G3 is also a remarkable screen.

Have to admit I've never seen on of these screens in action

Frank
post #1358 of 3333 Old 01-16-2013, 03:41 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Have to admit I've never seen on of these screens in action

I saw a BD G3 Zero Edge at a dealer when I went to pick up my Integra 80.3 processor, and ive seen the normal BD's during my many recent speaker auditions. It's great for living room settings where ambient light is inescapable. Very bright in a dark room.
post #1359 of 3333 Old 01-16-2013, 03:45 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Finally unboxed and played around with the JVC DLA-RS56 last night. Didn't have much time with it, but wow--out the box, I noticed a better picture than my old RS45. I'll have much more time to play with it tonight....I look forward to really digging in smile.gif
post #1360 of 3333 Old 01-16-2013, 04:07 AM

Liked: 15
Quote:

Finally unboxed and played around with the JVC DLA-RS56 last night. Didn't have much time with it, but wow--out the box, I noticed a better picture than my old RS45. I'll have much more time to play with it tonight....I look forward to really digging in smile.gif
Mate, where's the video???biggrin.gif
post #1361 of 3333 Old 01-16-2013, 04:14 AM
CIH USER

Quote:
Originally Posted by aldiallo View Post

I agree with Al

Frank
post #1362 of 3333 Old 01-16-2013, 04:14 AM
CIH USER

oh and one more thing add your soprano bit. Thats your trademark biggrin.gif

Frank
post #1363 of 3333 Old 01-16-2013, 04:15 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Lol, it's on the way. I want to capture eShift2 differences. I skipped the recording of the unboxing portion since it would just be a repeat if my RS45 unboxing video, but I started recording right after I took it out of the box. Shinyyyy!!! The automatic lens cover is a nice touch.
post #1364 of 3333 Old 01-16-2013, 04:17 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Lolol....I shall indeed perform my greatest hits collection! cool.gif
post #1365 of 3333 Old 01-16-2013, 04:18 AM

Quote:

And I agree with Frank on this one!! got to add that Soprano voice in the vedeo mate, it's a must!!biggrin.gif
post #1366 of 3333 Old 01-16-2013, 04:25 AM
CIH USER

Quote:

Lolol....I shall indeed perform my greatest hits collection! cool.gif

Looking forward to it.

Frank
post #1367 of 3333 Old 01-16-2013, 06:08 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

The handshake became too much which made me sell the unit. I like it the way it is now.

Did you see a magenta screen occasionally with some of your devices? The ultimate dealbreaker for me was that I would have to power cycle the Darbee to get my Xbox and media player display working. The first few times I thought disconnecting the HDMI cable was the issue, but it turned out I had to disconnect the Darbee's power when switching video inputs.
post #1368 of 3333 Old 01-16-2013, 06:55 AM
CIH USER

Quote:

Did you see a magenta screen occasionally with some of your devices? The ultimate dealbreaker for me was that I would have to power cycle the Darbee to get my Xbox and media player display working. The first few times I thought disconnecting the HDMI cable was the issue, but it turned out I had to disconnect the Darbee's power when switching video inputs.

I did every now and then see Magenta screen wasnt as much but like you I had to pull the plug on the Darbee Darblet to get it working. I couldnt understand it was all good in the beginning and then the issues began. What made it worse for me is all my gear is in another room so I had to run back and forth to get it going.

But im happy with the way things are now couldnt be happier.

Frank
post #1369 of 3333 Old 01-16-2013, 06:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 126 Post(s)
Liked: 78
Quote:

Good stuff on the new projector. Like everyone else, I am looking forward to the video.

It ain't easy being green.
My System
post #1370 of 3333 Old 01-16-2013, 08:38 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

I did every now and then see Magenta screen wasnt as much but like you I had to pull the plug on the Darbee Darblet to get it working. I couldnt understand it was all good in the beginning and then the issues began. What made it worse for me is all my gear is in another room so I had to run back and forth to get it going.

But im happy with the way things are now couldnt be happier.

I too experienced no issues at first. Then a few days went by where I did not use my home theater at all, and when I tried to load a movie, I spent 5 minutes diagnosing the issue. Luckily, I kept the unit close by to power cycle. I imagine with all that running around, you must have been driven mad to the point of throwing the unit against the wall (I know I was). When I made the decision to return the unit, I had a brief doubt in my mind that maybe I just had a defect and should exchange it. I also thought I should keep the Darbee and wait for a possible firmware fix (though these are not free). I am very glad to hear that this was not just isolated to my unit; I have no regrets whatsoever now.
post #1371 of 3333 Old 01-17-2013, 05:31 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Updated impressions of the RS56:

eShift2 does a great job…as long as the three MPC controls are turned down. There’s a Darbee-like effect, which seems to be the direction projector manufacturers are headed towards (It started with Sony’s Reality creation). To be sure, the Darbee does it better. Hmmm, maybe I should compare the JVC’s enhanced contrast function to the Darbee and see what happens……

As good as eShfit2 is, it can’t make extreeemely grainy movies like “The Hunger Games” look pristine. Not even eShift2 + maximum smoothing can fix this—the grain is just too bad. That being said, this projector DOES solve the problem that caused me to purchase it in the first place, which is: make older blu rays and blu rays with less-than-pristine authoring look great on my 120” diagonal 2:35 screen at my close viewing distance of 12 feet.. eShift2 is exactly what I needed, and the increased contrast really goes a long way. It’s difficult to describe, but the picture is better overall than the RS45 with this RS56. That being said, is the increase in picture quality alone worth the premium over the RS45? No. But, is the increase in picture quality, internal CMS (to compensate for projector under-saturation after Lumagen calibration), eShift2, and superior contrast worth the premium over the RS45? Absolutely. I’m looking past the fact that the RS56’s MSRP is enough to buy two RS45’s and a BenQ w7000, primarily because if you go to the right dealer, you won’t be paying MSRP for it and the purchase will make much more sense. It’s not every day I spend this kind of money on anything (Last time I came close was my dual Rosenut Seaton Submersive F2 purchase), so when I do put this kind of money out, I expect to see a darn good return. I am happy to report that the performance return is indeed commensurate with the cost.

I haven’t tried 3D yet—I already know what to expect from JVC’s in terms of 3D.

BTW, the RS56 overview video is shot and ready for editing. I scooped up a new editing program a few months ago and may actually try it out this weekend. If anyone has anything they would like to see demonstrated in regards to the RS56 (i.e. effects of X on Y, etc.), feel free to let me know on this thread or in PM, and I’ll be sure to capture it.
post #1372 of 3333 Old 01-17-2013, 08:36 AM
Advanced Member

Brolic,

You mentioned earlier that part of your reason for upgrading was for 3D. Will this be your first foray into 3D?
post #1373 of 3333 Old 01-17-2013, 08:48 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Brolic,

You mentioned earlier that part of your reason for upgrading was for 3D. Will this be your first foray into 3D?

Yeah, I had a RS45 before, which did 3D pretty poorly. Part of the impetus for the upgrade was for improved 3D, as reviews consistently have the RS5x series showing less ghosting than the RS4X series in 3D—I’m waiting for my 3D package to arrive (next week some time.). I think I’m going to re-watch Prometheus in 3D, and that is—for me—the best 3d presentation I’ve ever seen, outside of Avatar. It’s even better than Avatar in many sequences. That being said, I have a general idea of what to expect, in terms of glasses, brightness, etc. so that’s not something I’m evaluating critically in the 56.
post #1374 of 3333 Old 01-17-2013, 08:52 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

It’s not every day I spend this kind of money on anything (Last time I came close was my dual Rosenut Seaton Submersive F2 purchase), so when I do put this kind of money out, I expect to see a darn good return. I am happy to report that the performance return is indeed commensurate with the cost.

BTW, the RS56 overview video is shot and ready for editing. I scooped up a new editing program a few months ago and may actually try it out this weekend. If anyone has anything they would like to see demonstrated in regards to the RS56 (i.e. effects of X on Y, etc.), feel free to let me know on this thread or in PM, and I’ll be sure to capture it.

Brolic,

I remember years ago when people would ask what I thought of the Bose $2,000-$3,000 HTIB systems, and telling them that wasn't real home theater and they need to spend more. When asked how much more, they abandoned the whole "home theater" concept all together when finding out some people spend that much per speaker. When you go into the modern 11.2 systems, you can figure that math out to implement that. All I can say is, it gets extremely scary how easy it is to bump into higher priced home theater gear like that., and once in that territory, it's impossible to get out. In the end though, the only thing that matters is you will have zero doubts when you ask yourself "what if I had made the upgrade purchase?"
post #1375 of 3333 Old 01-17-2013, 09:24 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Yeah, I had a RS45 before, which did 3D pretty poorly. Part of the impetus for the upgrade was for improved 3D, as reviews consistently have the RS5x series showing less ghosting than the RS4X series in 3D—I’m waiting for my 3D package to arrive (next week some time.). I think I’m going to re-watch Prometheus in 3D, and that is—for me—the best 3d presentation I’ve ever seen, outside of Avatar. It’s even better than Avatar in many sequences. That being said, I have a general idea of what to expect, in terms of glasses, brightness, etc. so that’s not something I’m evaluating critically in the 56.

Prometheus was monumental for me. I loved Avatar as well, and still rank that as the best looking movie I have ever seen to date (in 2D and 3D), and was my main motivation to go 3D when the first plasmas came out in 2010. Prometheus is an extremely close second, and maybe even has some better scenes (like the DNA helix opening sequence). I had the pleasure of watching that in imax 3D theater that had a 4K DLP presentation. The soundtrack in Prometheus easily outranks Avatar, and is really the only motivation for me to upgrade from 7.1 to 9.2 and even 11.2.

A lot of people like Tron for 3D, but I was not impressed at all. I find Despicable Me to have more image pop than Tron.
post #1376 of 3333 Old 01-18-2013, 01:41 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Prometheus was monumental for me. I loved Avatar as well, and still rank that as the best looking movie I have ever seen to date (in 2D and 3D), and was my main motivation to go 3D when the first plasmas came out in 2010. Prometheus is an extremely close second, and maybe even has some better scenes (like the DNA helix opening sequence). I had the pleasure of watching that in imax 3D theater that had a 4K DLP presentation. The soundtrack in Prometheus easily outranks Avatar, and is really the only motivation for me to upgrade from 7.1 to 9.2 and even 11.2.

A lot of people like Tron for 3D, but I was not impressed at all. I find Despicable Me to have more image pop than Tron.

Yeah, I don't care much for Tron's implementation of 3D either...it's good in some scenes, but far from remarkable and is simply outclassed by the audio track.
post #1377 of 3333 Old 01-20-2013, 05:08 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

JVC DLA-RS56 Projector Overview Video
post #1378 of 3333 Old 01-21-2013, 01:10 AM

Hi Matt,

Thanks for the video!! but what happened to the soprano bit???eek.gifbiggrin.gif
post #1379 of 3333 Old 01-21-2013, 04:59 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Hi Matt,

Thanks for the video!! but what happened to the soprano bit???eek.gifbiggrin.gif

Lol, I realized that I only do my award winning performances when I'm Unboxing a new toy....but since the video starts with the new toy already opened, I had no chance to enter on stage. Lol.
post #1380 of 3333 Old 01-21-2013, 06:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 126 Post(s)
Liked: 78
Great video. The picture looks great even on a computer screen. A few parts look like they had a lot of depth.

It ain't easy being green.
My System
Reply What's Your System Configuration

Tags
Emotiva Xpr 1 , Marantz Av8801 , Jvc Dla Rs66 , Cambridge Audio Azur Dacmagic 100 Silver , Oppo Bdp 105 Blu Ray Player , Panamax M5300 Pm 11 Outlet Clean Power Level 4 Black
Gear in this thread - Av8801 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page