BrolicBeast's Living Room Theater - Page 49 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1441 of 3327 Old 01-30-2013, 09:16 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 22
With 135TB, and average 25GB bluray rip, that's 5,400 movies you can have saved. I love it!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1442 of 3327 Old 01-30-2013, 06:27 PM
CIH USER

Quoted: 145 Post(s)
Liked: 205
Quote:
Originally Posted by SergeantYnot View Post

With 135TB, and average 25GB bluray rip, that's 5,400 movies you can have saved. I love it!

That sound good my only concern ( and its been since my interest in it ) is the quality of the rip if it will affect Pq and even Aq. I would love for someone to do a side by side comparison with a BD disc.

Frank

post #1443 of 3327 Old 01-30-2013, 06:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 101
Quote:
Originally Posted by Franin View Post

That sound good my only concern ( and its been since my interest in it ) is the quality of the rip if it will affect Pq and even Aq. I would love for someone to do a side by side comparison with a BD disc.

If you are just ripping the disc without encoding it should be VERY close to 1:1. I say very VERY close because of issues with the computers output. It may take some tinkering with settings to get proper contrast/brightness. Also if I recall correctly there is some conversion with the colors. BDs are in Ycbcr and most graphics cards (consumer level) put out rgb so it goes ycbcr -->rgb-->ycbcr. The conversions aren't always perfect but whether or not you'll notice the difference is questionable...kind of like biwiring! IMHO, the ability to play any movie in my collection at the click of the mouse is definitely worth the "loss" of some quality (Like I said whether or not you can notice it)

Here's a link to a LONG discussion in the Ultra High end section about trying to get "Source Direct" ie: no ycbcr conversions from a media server. Good read!
http://www.avsforum.com/t/1284943/media-servers-worthy-of-high-end/360

No subwoofer I've heard has been able to produce the bass I've experienced in the Corps!

Must..stop...buying...every bluray release...
post #1444 of 3327 Old 01-30-2013, 07:56 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 183 Post(s)
Liked: 310
Ahhhhhh just finished my first true Blu Ray rip: The Dark Knight Rises. The picture quality is unbelievably pristine. I did some A/B switching between the Jriver and Oppo (The HTPC runs through the Oppo 105's rear HDMI input and I had the actual TDKR disc in the Oppo tray)--the pixel density and sharpness is identical between the rip and the actual disc, which makes sense, since the Blu Ray Disc is just a container for the raw film file. There are some color differences, but those can be compensated for by just running an autocalibration w/ the Lumagen and saving to an extra memory. It took quite a bit of headache to get bitstreaming to work but I finally got it to work at the basic codec level, and I'm just working out the kinks in getting HD audio bitstreamed (I'll be working on this tomorrow and before/after Superbowl festivities this weekend.) I'm 90% there, and I have three more blu ray drives on the way, so my machine will have four 14x Blu Ray drives for ripping 4 blu rays at a time. Once my USB IR-receiver comes, I'll be using J-river's Theater View via the Logitech Harmony 900.

Needless to say, February is going to be a very busy month for the blu ray collection...biggrin.gifbiggrin.gifbiggrin.gif

The Build:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
| The System:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
| The Video Series:

Social:
|
|
|
|
post #1445 of 3327 Old 01-30-2013, 10:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrolicBeast View Post

Ahhhhhh just finished my first true Blu Ray rip: The Dark Knight Rises. The picture quality is unbelievably pristine. I did some A/B switching between the Jriver and Oppo (The HTPC runs through the Oppo 105's rear HDMI input and I had the actual TDKR disc in the Oppo tray)--the pixel density and sharpness is identical between the rip and the actual disc, which makes sense, since the Blu Ray Disc is just a container for the raw film file. There are some color differences, but those can be compensated for by just running an autocalibration w/ the Lumagen and saving to an extra memory. It took quite a bit of headache to get bitstreaming to work but I finally got it to work at the basic codec level, and I'm just working out the kinks in getting HD audio bitstreamed (I'll be working on this tomorrow and before/after Superbowl festivities this weekend.) I'm 90% there, and I have three more blu ray drives on the way, so my machine will have four 14x Blu Ray drives for ripping 4 blu rays at a time. Once my USB IR-receiver comes, I'll be using J-river's Theater View via the Logitech Harmony 900.

Needless to say, February is going to be a very busy month for the blu ray collection...biggrin.gifbiggrin.gifbiggrin.gif

Wouldn't the hard drives be the limiting factor in speed when ripping 4 movies at a time! lol!

I'm happy someone else went with the HTPC instead of a Dune....my HT group knows how much I dread those ! (nothing personal!)

No subwoofer I've heard has been able to produce the bass I've experienced in the Corps!

post #1446 of 3327 Old 01-30-2013, 10:47 PM
CIH USER

Quoted: 145 Post(s)
Liked: 205
Quote:

Ahhhhhh just finished my first true Blu Ray rip: The Dark Knight Rises. The picture quality is unbelievably pristine. I did some A/B switching between the Jriver and Oppo (The HTPC runs through the Oppo 105's rear HDMI input and I had the actual TDKR disc in the Oppo

Running the HTPC through the Oppo is it going in direct Matt or is it using the Oppo video processor ?

Frank

post #1447 of 3327 Old 01-31-2013, 01:12 AM

Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by pokekevin View Post

Wouldn't the hard drives be the limiting factor in speed when ripping 4 movies at a time! lol!

I'm happy someone else went with the HTPC instead of a Dune....my HT group knows how much I dread those ! (nothing personal!)
Pokekevin,

Can you advise why you dread them??
post #1448 of 3327 Old 01-31-2013, 01:13 AM

Quote:

hehehe, you've joined the dark side of the RIP!!biggrin.gif
post #1449 of 3327 Old 01-31-2013, 03:34 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I think that if I rip each movie to a separate hard drive (5 are installed), I should still get good rip speeds. Jriver wont differentiate between drives. All I see is a nice cover photo smile.gif
Quote:

Running the HTPC through the Oppo is it going in direct Matt or is it using the Oppo video processor ?

Hey Frank, it's running in source direct mode. No video processing by the Oppo is applied.
Quote:
Originally Posted by aldiallo View Post

hehehe, you've joined the dark side of the RIP!!biggrin.gif

Lol, yes indeed Al. "Darth Ripper" is the name! Lolol...Now, where did I put that light-sabre...

The Build:
| The System:
| The Video Series:

Social:
|
|
|
|
post #1450 of 3327 Old 01-31-2013, 11:24 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

If anybody is looking for Tri-SLI setup w/ 2 dedicated GPU Power Supplies, PM me. Details are:

3x BFG-Tech (Nvidia) GTX-285 OC (Overclocked both by vendor and by me in Rivatuner)
1x Tri-SLI Bridge
2x dedicated 5” bay 500w power supplies (two cards were powered by their own power supplies loaded into optical disc bays)

Back in ’09, the overclocked cards alone were worth $1800 together and the power supplies were worth about $200. They still can run every Crysis game at maximum settings without so much as a hiccup and the yscoff at any game that isn’t named Crysis. Lol.

The Build:
| The System:
| The Video Series:

Social:
|
|
|
|
post #1451 of 3327 Old 01-31-2013, 12:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Pokekevin,

Can you advise why you dread them??

With a big collection ( I have over 700 blurays / 1500 movies in total) its hard to browse my collection with my viewing habits biggrin.gif Started with a PCH A-110.

post #1452 of 3327 Old 01-31-2013, 02:12 PM

Quote:

With a big collection ( I have over 700 blurays / 1500 movies in total) its hard to browse my collection with my viewing habits biggrin.gif Started with a PCH A-110.
It would be the same with a pc!tongue.gif
post #1453 of 3327 Old 01-31-2013, 02:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

It would be the same with a pc!tongue.gif

Not at all, I can immediately search my hard drives for the film, I can search by actor and lots more. I can drag the seeker where I want to watch!

post #1454 of 3327 Old 01-31-2013, 10:58 PM

Quote:

Not at all, I can immediately search my hard drives for the film, I can search by actor and lots more. I can drag the seeker where I want to watch!
and you're sure that this is something that cannot be done with a Dune??eek.gif
post #1455 of 3327 Old 02-01-2013, 08:38 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

I can assure you there should be no concerns when it comes to the quality of rip. You would be very surprised of the Dark Knight Rises bluray remux that I have. That is a 32GB file that is a 1:1 copy. Audio is fully intact as well.
post #1456 of 3327 Old 02-01-2013, 08:42 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Brolic,

Welcome to the world of rips. I wonder how your rip would compare to my 32GB remux that I have. As I have learned over the years, rips are not universal and there is a subtle art to them.

My bluray rip collection is over 7TBs now and consists of over 1,000 movies and over 100 TV show compilations. This is the reason I am looking forward to the Oppo...I can run my media player through the inputs.
post #1457 of 3327 Old 02-01-2013, 09:47 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Thanks Sarge, that is QUITE the collection! What do you do to bitstream Dolby TruHD and DHT-HD Master Audio? I’m still having trouble bitstreaming those HD codecs to my Integra 80.3. I put the Arcsoft TMT dtsdecoder “dll” file into both my Win Sys32 oflder AND the LAV Audio directory, and still I get plain-jane DTS tracks. What media playback/control software do you us on your HTPC.

The Build:
| The System:
| The Video Series:

Social:
|
|
|
|
post #1458 of 3327 Old 02-01-2013, 10:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

and you're sure that this is something that cannot be done with a Dune??eek.gif

Dune got no mouse! Plus I like being able to customize the information the scrapper pulls ranging from cover art, poster, genres, and etc.

post #1459 of 3327 Old 02-01-2013, 10:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Thanks Sarge, that is QUITE the collection! What do you do to bitstream Dolby TruHD and DHT-HD Master Audio? I’m still having trouble bitstreaming those HD codecs to my Integra 80.3. I put the Arcsoft TMT dtsdecoder “dll” file into both my Win Sys32 oflder AND the LAV Audio directory, and still I get plain-jane DTS tracks. What media playback/control software do you us on your HTPC.

What playback software are you using? I use MakeMKVs to rip my movies so I just use MPC-HC w/ LAV audio decoder and everything works perfect. Make sure you check the loseless formats in LAV.

post #1460 of 3327 Old 02-01-2013, 01:19 PM

Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by SergeantYnot View Post

Brolic,

Welcome to the world of rips. I wonder how your rip would compare to my 32GB remux that I have. As I have learned over the years, rips are not universal and there is a subtle art to them.

My bluray rip collection is over 7TBs now and consists of over 1,000 movies and over 100 TV show compilations. This is the reason I am looking forward to the Oppo...I can run my media player through the inputs.

Sarge: The Oppo 103/105 HDMI inputs won't accept hi-rez audio formats via bitstream. You have to use LPCM to get hi-rez audio using the HDMI inputs.

According to Oppo's website:
Inputs - HDMI Audio: Dolby Digital, Dolby Digital Plus, DTS, up to 5.1ch/192kHz or 7.1ch/96kHz PCM.

Sarge: Do you use any storage compression on your library? Also, what is the difference between a remux and a rip?

Matt: You will need to run LPCM from your server into the Oppo's HDMI Inputs to get the hi-rez audio formats to your pre/pro.

Fine Music, Movies, Wine, and Friends - A Life Well Lived!
post #1461 of 3327 Old 02-01-2013, 01:52 PM
AVS Special Member

remux is just the movie and rip can be the whole disc I think

post #1462 of 3327 Old 02-01-2013, 01:56 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

What playback software are you using? I use MakeMKVs to rip my movies so I just use MPC-HC w/ LAV audio decoder and everything works perfect. Make sure you check the loseless formats in LAV.

I'm using JRiver MC18 with LAV for decoding. I also use MakeMKV for digital storage of the blu rays. Now, the "Digital Copy" included with many blu ray discs simply no longer have real meaning to me. Lol.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DMark1 View Post

Sarge: The Oppo 103/105 HDMI inputs won't accept hi-rez audio formats via bitstream. You have to use LPCM to get hi-rez audio using the HDMI inputs.

Inputs - HDMI Audio: Dolby Digital, Dolby Digital Plus, DTS, up to 5.1ch/192kHz or 7.1ch/96kHz PCM.

Sarge: Do you use any storage compression on your library? Also, what is the difference between a remux and a rip?

Matt: You will need to run LPCM from your server into the Oppo's HDMI Inputs to get the hi-rez audio formats to your pre/pro.

Dennis, thanks for that info. I will definitely switch to LPCM this evening and reap the grand rewards.

The Build:
| The System:
| The Video Series:

Social:
|
|
|
|
post #1463 of 3327 Old 02-01-2013, 02:14 PM

Quote:

Dune got no mouse! Plus I like being able to customize the information the scrapper pulls ranging from cover art, poster, genres, and etc.
true about the mouse but for the rest you can do quite a few thing depending on the software you install on your pc /mac to personalize the Dune frontend.wink.gif but well like evrything it has pros and cons!
post #1464 of 3327 Old 02-01-2013, 02:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Cons of the htpc was set up but I can easily set em up now lol. Took forever to get 23.976! I prefer the htpc too cause of its expandability. For all iknow I can decode h265 with my quad core when the time comes. I still use my a110 for my bedroom set up but in the process to replace it with a htpc. I don't realy dread media players I just say that since my la htg is majority dune owners lol. Rivarly!

post #1465 of 3327 Old 02-03-2013, 10:01 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

An interesting development. Out of the 320+ blu rays I own, I only truly care about 30-40 of them enough to import into Jriver. So, it looks like my initial collection wont be as vast as i thought. Also, with JRiver....I have a bone to pick. God forbid I try to skip forward or backward by more than one chapter....it freezes every time. I usually watch a film straight through, but for times like tonight, when after the Superbowl, I did my first "JRiver Demo" to the crowd at my house....i got "ooh"s and "ahh"s at the interface, but in my attempt to skip forward to the infamous Bane v. Batman scene of TDKR....JRiver.locked up on me... Quite embarrassing...

The Build:
| The System:
| The Video Series:

Social:
|
|
|
|
post #1466 of 3327 Old 02-04-2013, 09:44 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMark1 View Post

A Remux is essentially like an iso that has the entire disc uncompressed. One of my friends uses MakeMKV to accomplish this and retain all of the original lossless audio tracks, as well as commentary tracks. I am currently sending the audio data bitstreamed to my media player where it is supported (ex. Dolby TrueHD). Unfortunately, my 10 year old Pioneer Elite only decodes it as Dolby Digital EX. Granted the audio playback has a higher compression rate than normal Dolby Digital, but it is essentially a "core" audio track of a lossy format.

This is where the future Oppo will come in handy. The Oppo plays back MKV files flawlessly and should support those lossless audio streams. I am planning to upgrade my Pioneer to a Denon 4520 next month where all audio will be bitstreamed and processed by the AVR.
post #1467 of 3327 Old 02-04-2013, 09:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

An interesting development. Out of the 320+ blu rays I own, I only truly care about 30-40 of them enough to import into Jriver. So, it looks like my initial collection wont be as vast as i thought. Also, with JRiver....I have a bone to pick. God forbid I try to skip forward or backward by more than one chapter....it freezes every time. I usually watch a film straight through, but for times like tonight, when after the Superbowl, I did my first "JRiver Demo" to the crowd at my house....i got "ooh"s and "ahh"s at the interface, but in my attempt to skip forward to the infamous Bane v. Batman scene of TDKR....JRiver.locked up on me... Quite embarrassing...
Oh yea...I know that feeling. During a demo at my place my htpc stopped bitstreaming and switched to downmixing to stereo. Only ONE person except me noticed differences. Phew!

post #1468 of 3327 Old 02-04-2013, 09:54 AM
Advanced Member

I should also add that while a Remux can also be classified as a Rip, I wouldn't classify a Rip as a Remux at all. A standard MKV rip can be anywhere from 8-12GBs in size; while a Remux can be anywhere from 25-40GBs. To save on disc space, the majority of my collection are standard rips. Gemstones like Avatar and Dark Knight Rises are solely kept as a remux. Not sure anyone really needs a 40GB remux of Horrible Bosses or Bridesmaids tongue.gif

What is important to note that when A/B testing a Remux to a disc, they should be identical in SQ and PQ. Interestingly, most of the Rips I have compared to their bluray counterpart, I would venture to say that the differences are negligible.
post #1469 of 3327 Old 02-04-2013, 10:02 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Brolic,

I have seen this quite frequently in the past in the early days of MKV rips (over 4 years ago). This is typically attributed to a bad rip. I am not sure what causes this (ripper settings, loss of caching while importing the rip, lost data packets, etc). It is best to delete the file and retry. Trust me, you do not want to be stuck with a file you can only pause and not scan through. After making it through half the film only to accidentally hit the rewind button (which crashed the file), I vowed never again to keep corrupted files like that.
post #1470 of 3327 Old 02-04-2013, 10:17 AM

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 87
Quote:

Ha, ha... When ever you're gonna show off your system, always, always, always demo the system to yourself and make sure there aren't any issues first. Back in the days when I use to mess with Media portal as my media front end, I wanted to show off to my friends how awesome my setup was and make them jealous. The demo was going pretty good and they were impressed (my ego was off the charts) then I tried to play a HD Mkv file that I downloaded with the latest build of FFDShow.. Bam... Windows blue-screened.. Had to do a reboot. The dummy in me wanted to still finish strong so I tried the play the file again.. another Blue-screen.
Reply What's Your System Configuration

Tags
Emotiva Xpr 1 , Marantz Av8801 , Jvc Dla Rs66 , Cambridge Audio Azur Dacmagic 100 Silver , Oppo Bdp 105 Blu Ray Player , Panamax M5300 Pm 11 Outlet Clean Power Level 4 Black
Gear in this thread - Av8801 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page