Forum Jump: 

post #121 of 3302 Old 03-22-2011, 08:16 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrolicBeast View Post

Hey GoingRich....errr...GoingPoor. lol. The Amp-before-speakers path is the best way to go! A good amp will last for one or two decades.

As far as the DAC goes, the difference was indeed large. I'm going to record a DAC/No DAC comparison of a music snippet. The difference is large enough that I think even my HD video camera will be able to catch it. I'll post the comparison video to youtube and post a notification in this thread (click on my signature to access the youtube page)

With the PS Audio Cord, there's definitely a sound difference, but it's only prominent when i listen to recordings of stringed instruments (Yo Yo Ma's Suite for Cello No. 1 comes to mind) you here more texture in the strings being played. Ti make sure this was no plecebo effect, i did A/B comparisons with that particular piece. (Both cords were plugged into the power conditioner, so i just alternated the equipment-end cords.) The difference is certainly there, but it's not a game-changer. Honestly, the ridiculously solid build quality is just as much my reason for keeping it as the slight increase in stringed texture.

Lol no this hobbie makes you go poor and then when you sit and think what you have spent ..... Dont they have a weekly meeting for this type of behavior

I'm not sure if Ill do the PS audio cords right away, may put them towards the end of my list. But a DAC is the next thing... I might settle on the PS Audio Digital Link III ... I've heard alot of nice things about them. I wonder how much of a difference I'd see using it with my itunes library off my computer ??

anything else in the works for you as add-ons or updates?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #122 of 3302 Old 03-22-2011, 10:30 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 96 Post(s)
Liked: 284
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goingpoor View Post

Lol no this hobbie makes you go poor and then when you sit and think what you have spent ..... Dont they have a weekly meeting for this type of behavior

I'm not sure if Ill do the PS audio cords right away, may put them towards the end of my list. But a DAC is the next thing... I might settle on the PS Audio Digital Link III ... I've heard alot of nice things about them. I wonder how much of a difference I'd see using it with my itunes library off my computer ??

anything else in the works for you as add-ons or updates?

lol you are correct!!! A couple weeks ago I sat down in the office and drafted a spreadsheet containing the models and prices for every piece of HT/Audio Gear & Accessories that I own, and when I applied that Excel *Sum* function to the cells, i instantly wanted to UN-APPLY it to the cells. lol....This stuff costs money man.

I think that PS Audio DAC would be a great addition to your system. I guarantee, there will be a difference. DAC's connect to computers using the USB cables normally reserved for printers, and i'm sure PSA throws that in the box. Your computer should automatically recognize the DAC as a "headphone" or some other audio device (depending on the chipset of the DAC) and will route audio via USB through it. I haven't done any serious listening using the computer though, as I stream all content on my primary machine using the Sonos Digital Music system (Highly Highly Highly recommended!!!)

Ah, my upgrade plans for the near future are the first two XPA-1's next month, and a turn-table some time in the spring (If I get all my research done in time). I've also been meaning to bi-amp my speakers since getting the Integra DHC-80.2--I just haven't had a chance to. Maybe i'll do that this evening. With the gear in the equipment room, running the wire through the "tracks" in the next room are such a hassle. Once I approach the third XPA-1, I'll need to secure a Furman Power Conditioner (the same model prepress has). That's about it for the near future.
post #123 of 3302 Old 03-23-2011, 02:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 47
Quote:

Thanks for those titles. I will be ordering the CDs tonight, and hopefully i can come across some Blu-Rays of her performances. Just out of curiosity, how does Laserdisc sound, compared to its optical successors? I've always heard about Laserdisc, but when that was semi-popular, i don't know where i was in my life. I love the Marimba, and am interested in hearing her collection!

Well, actually, I love the percussion as a whole. From before I could talk, my mother tells me all the time I would mimic the percussion in music and even commercials as an infant. My love for percussions led to a desire to pursue formal training, but the parents agreed that piano was the better choice. It was logical, so i don't fault them for it. I will sit back and live vicariously through Ms. Glennie's work.

Many of my LD titles are in digital stereo, and though I haven't played some of them in a while, I do remember how awesome they sounded. Two examples: the Chicago Symphony Orchrstra doing Pictures at an Exhibition (Georg Solti conducting). The sound is rich, full, powerful, and "The Great Gates of Kiev" finale is a mind-blower! Then, there's Batman: Mask of the Phantasm (an animated piece). The thunder of the bass drums at the beginning will knock you over if you're not ready for it. These were played through a Pioneer Elite DVL-91 combi-player. I haven't done any comparisons, but I don't recall missing anything compared to playing DVDs.

By the way, the DVD, Evelyn Glennie A Luxembourg, is pretty good too. She performs with the Orchestra Philharmonique du Luxembourg, working the snare drum, marimba and vibraphone. There's an extra with commentary from Ms. Glennie on there also.
post #124 of 3302 Old 03-23-2011, 05:10 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by prepress View Post

Many of my LD titles are in digital stereo, and though I haven't played some of them in a while, I do remember how awesome they sounded. Two examples: the Chicago Symphony Orchrstra doing Pictures at an Exhibition (Georg Solti conducting). The sound is rich, full, powerful, and "The Great Gates of Kiev" finale is a mind-blower! Then, there's Batman: Mask of the Phantasm (an animated piece). The thunder of the bass drums at the beginning will knock you over if you're not ready for it. These were played through a Pioneer Elite DVL-91 combi-player. I haven't done any comparisons, but I don't recall missing anything compared to playing DVDs.

By the way, the DVD, Evelyn Glennie A Luxembourg, is pretty good too. She performs with the Orchestra Philharmonique du Luxembourg, working the snare drum, marimba and vibraphone. There's an extra with commentary from Ms. Glennie on there also.

My eyes are spoiled and the PQ of DVD's bother me on the Projector, although it's much more managable on a smaller display. i think I'll still purchase it to play upstairs.

I REMEMBER Batman: Mask of the Phantasm--i recall the preview on one of the video tapes my family owned; it used to come on before a movie we watched rather often. I was the biggest batman fan for the better part of the 1990-1999 decade. Were any Laserdiscs mixed in 5.1? This technology is intriguing for the small niche it carved for itself.
post #125 of 3302 Old 03-23-2011, 07:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Quote:

My eyes are spoiled and the PQ of DVD's bother me on the Projector, although it's much more managable on a smaller display. i think I'll still purchase it to play upstairs.

I REMEMBER Batman: Mask of the Phantasm--i recall the preview on one of the video tapes my family owned; it used to come on before a movie we watched rather often. I was the biggest batman fan for the better part of the 1990-1999 decade. Were any Laserdiscs mixed in 5.1? This technology is intriguing for the small niche it carved for itself.

Yes the LD were mixed in 5.1 if they were encoded in AC-3 (Dolby Digital) or DTS which started I believe around 1992 . Most of my LDs are encoded that way. The majority were AC-3. If you go to my WYSC thread you can see the list of my LDs (post 24) that I still own.

Hometheatergeek

aka AL
----------
My Current System
post #126 of 3302 Old 03-24-2011, 09:25 PM

I Had to bump the thread up

I order that same cambridge DAC your using. Had to put the PS audio on the back burner. Too much in HT stuff this year. Plus I had to renew my tickets for the year. Almost forgot about baseball season. Was having to much fun with you guys...

Remember Happy wife Happy life Brolic. 2 words of advice ... don't get married or hide the bank statements lol

Does that cambridge come with all cables ? and drivers for the HTPC? or does it automaticaly detect it?

wheres those monblocks? it close enough to call it april now, and hey when april 1st hits it will be close enough to call it may !!!
post #127 of 3302 Old 03-25-2011, 10:31 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I Had to bump the thread up

I order that same cambridge DAC your using. Had to put the PS audio on the back burner. Too much in HT stuff this year. Plus I had to renew my tickets for the year. Almost forgot about baseball season. Was having to much fun with you guys...

Remember Happy wife Happy life Brolic. 2 words of advice ... don't get married or hide the bank statements lol

Does that cambridge come with all cables ? and drivers for the HTPC? or does it automaticaly detect it?

wheres those monblocks? it close enough to call it april now, and hey when april 1st hits it will be close enough to call it may !!!

Ahhh excellent choice!!! The Cambridge Audio DacMagic is spectacular. It comes with a USB cable. The TOSLINK/SPDIF cables, you'll have to provide yourself, in which case--like most of us, i'm sure you have millions of those lying around from the pre-HDMI days of Home Theater!!

A quick hint-you can only have one digital connection per input. Say, you plug in one optical and one coaxial into each of the jacks under only Input 1, then you will get no sound.

The monoblocks are coming soon to a BrolicBeast near you (movie trailer-announcer voice) i'm starting with two, and i'll get one incrementally after that. iwill have a covert bank account when I get married. i'll funnel 3% of my salary into it, and when I make my audio purchases, I'll act like they were gifts from a fictional uncle in Manchester, UK. lol. *Sigh* that will never work. Wive's tend to have the uncanny ability to read minds--which is why they expect husbands to read theirs. But i digress.....
post #128 of 3302 Old 03-25-2011, 12:00 PM
AVS Special Member

post #129 of 3302 Old 03-26-2011, 01:50 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I hope she's a music lover.

When I get married, she will have to be a music lover! I can't marry someone who has to ask "Why do you love music so much?" That would never ever everrrr work. lol
post #130 of 3302 Old 03-26-2011, 03:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

When I get married, she will have to be a music lover! I can't marry someone who has to ask "Why do you love music so much?" That would never ever everrrr work. lol

I'm not married, but I know that it will be important, if she's not a music lover, to at least understand why it's important to you. And if she loves you then she will work with it. The same goes for you with interests of hers, of course. Good relationships are built, not fallen into, and such sharing is part of that.

Also, the HT comes with the deal, so she's stuck, right ?
post #131 of 3302 Old 03-26-2011, 07:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
Quote:

LOL, so in other words our man Brolic comes with "baggage", it's either take him with the HT or nothing at all... I think if women read these audio forums more they would rather marry a man with 4 kids from a previous than one with an HT addiction!!!
post #132 of 3302 Old 03-26-2011, 09:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddgtr View Post

LOL, so in other words our man Brolic comes with "baggage", it's either take him with the HT or nothing at all... I think if women read these audio forums more they would rather marry a man with 4 kids from a previous than one with an HT addiction!!!

But it's baggage he can share !
post #133 of 3302 Old 03-27-2011, 09:03 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Oh she will have to accept AND share my musical baggage. All umpteen dollars worth, because I'm not getting rid of a THING if it has circuits and a power supply!
post #134 of 3302 Old 03-28-2011, 07:29 AM

Liked: 10
Quote:

I'm not married, but I know that it will be important, if she's not a music lover, to at least understand why it's important to you. And if she loves you then she will work with it. The same goes for you with interests of hers, of course. Good relationships are built, not fallen into, and such sharing is part of that.

Quote:

Oh she will have to accept AND share my musical baggage. All umpteen dollars worth, because I'm not getting rid of a THING if it has circuits and a power supply!

I think most people doesn't appreciate our appetite for good music and sound. My current gf loves music as I do, she accepts my obsessiveness, as long as she gets the same attention my equipments get.
post #135 of 3302 Old 03-28-2011, 07:43 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 50
That is the delicate balancing act. Love of family and electronics, having them feel included and want to be. My son is eleven and is catching the bug. Right now it is hand held electronics, but you can see it in him. My wife says if I die she will never watch another movie because she can’t figure it out and I have a Harmony one! But my son can! lol
post #136 of 3302 Old 03-28-2011, 04:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

You realize, of course, that in a way your statement can be seen to include her?
post #137 of 3302 Old 03-28-2011, 07:24 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by YoMaMa84 View Post

I think most people doesn't appreciate our appetite for good music and sound. My current gf loves music as I do, she accepts my obsessiveness, as long as she gets the same attention my equipments get.

You have made a veryyyy important point. "As long as she gets the same attention my equipment gets." I do feel this is an integral part to balancing a passions as engulfing as ours, with romance, family, etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jnnt29 View Post

That is the delicate balancing act. Love of family and electronics, having them feel included and want to be. My son is eleven and is catching the bug. Right now it is hand held electronics, but you can see it in him. My wife says if I die she will never watch another movie because she can't figure it out and I have a Harmony one! But my son can! lol

Ahhh don't let your son find out about the new Nintendo 3DS. I remember when I was 11--I was crazy about Sega Genesis, I do believe it is a balancing act indeed. lol @ the son being more able to manage the Harmony One than the wife. Man, make sure you don't get hit by any cars!!

Quote:

You realize, of course, that in a way your statement can be seen to include her?

L-O-L!!!!!!! You are quite correct sir. She better install an RFID chip in her skull so she qualifies for perpetual retention!!
post #138 of 3302 Old 03-30-2011, 05:42 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked: 182
Quote:

Ahhh don't let your son find out about the new Nintendo 3DS.

Hey BrolicBeast got released today over here and my daughter is already bugging me about it.

Frank

post #139 of 3302 Old 03-30-2011, 07:49 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franin View Post

Hey BrolicBeast got released today over here and my daughter is already bugging me about it.

Ah, it certainly makes you wonder how they find out about this stuff. I wish thee luck with deflecting the 3DS requests!! lol. The internet is probably the culprit. The internet didn't really take off until i was in high-school. Before that, the only way I could keep track of games and kid tech (Ricochet Remote Control Car, anyone? annnnyyyone???) was to walk through Toys-R-Us, which involved convincing one or both parents to actually take me there.

My, how I wish I had the internet when i was a child.
post #140 of 3302 Old 03-30-2011, 12:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Ah, it certainly makes you wonder how they find out about this stuff. I wish thee luck with deflecting the 3DS requests!! lol. The internet is probably the culprit. The internet didn't really take off until i was in high-school. Before that, the only way I could keep track of games and kid tech (Ricochet Remote Control Car, anyone? annnnyyyone???) was to walk through Toys-R-Us, which involved convincing one or both parents to actually take me there.

You don't think the lack of funds would have frustrated you too badly? I don't want what I don't know about. I didn't know about the MC501s until exposed to them here; over time I softened on them and about a year later bought them. And the discount i got helped.
post #141 of 3302 Old 03-30-2011, 06:16 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked: 182
Quote:

When I was a kid my parents barley took me to toys r us we had to make our own fun and games spent more time outdoors. These days with these electronic gadgets kids are spending more time indoors.
My daughter has to wait till Xmas but I bet she will twist my arm one way or the other.

Frank

post #142 of 3302 Old 04-02-2011, 07:52 PM

Hey Brolic you a Orioles fan ?
post #143 of 3302 Old 04-03-2011, 03:30 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

You don't think the lack of funds would have frustrated you too badly? I don't want what I don't know about. I didn't know about the MC501s until exposed to them here; over time I softened on them and about a year later bought them. And the discount i got helped.

Quote:

Hey Brolic you a Orioles fan ?

Hey man, I don't watch much baseball. I'm a football guy to the core. Played Offensive Tackle in middle school high school, and college i switched to Offensive Guard. but mercy--the folks here LOVE the Orioles and Ravens!!! "This is Birdland" billboards are all over the place!!
post #144 of 3302 Old 04-03-2011, 03:38 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

A friend of mine got married over the weekend, and at the reception, I made sure my companion and I sat at table closest to the "sweet spot", dead center to the two primary Professional speakers across the floor. Maybe that was taking my love of audio a bit too far. lol.

On another note, I'm giving serious thought to turning my guest bedroom (which get used twice a year at most) into a dedicated listening room, complete with acoustic paneling. Has anybody undergone such a transformation? Any advice? I know with a listening room, I have more flexibility since this will be audio only, IF I go through with it. i'm weighing the pros and cons. Any advice would be most welcome!!!
post #145 of 3302 Old 04-04-2011, 03:17 AM
AVS Special Member

I don't have a dedicated room as you know, but the relationship between equipment and room is important. One of the reasons I like bipolar speakers (which mine are) is that reflections can be an asset rather than a liability. There's more flexibility of placement. With conventional speakers you'll need to be more mindful of placement and of reflections, I think. If the equipment tends toward the bright side, then the panels and room treatments will become more important. Those more accomplished than I on these things can weigh in of course, but considering the treatments as part of the system (the room certainly is) may be a good idea. Maybe start with the acoustic characteristics of the room itself, before anything's put in there, and work from that.
post #146 of 3302 Old 04-05-2011, 03:29 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I don't have a dedicated room as you know, but the relationship between equipment and room is important. One of the reasons I like bipolar speakers (which mine are) is that reflections can be an asset rather than a liability. There's more flexibility of placement. With conventional speakers you'll need to be more mindful of placement and of reflections, I think. If the equipment tends toward the bright side, then the panels and room treatments will become more important. Those more accomplished than I on these things can weigh in of course, but considering the treatments as part of the system (the room certainly is) may be a good idea. Maybe start with the acoustic characteristics of the room itself, before anything's put in there, and work from that.

Thanks for the input Prepress! Is there any way to judge the room characteristics without measurements? i've long believed that the second I start measuring frequency responses in my room, is the second I stop enjoying the music. this isn't true for everybody, but i have obsessive compulsive tendencies (I ran Audyssey four times, just to make sure there were no variations in the results). What characteristics can I consider for a listening room that Audyssey doesn't already take into consideration?
post #147 of 3302 Old 04-05-2011, 07:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
Quote:

Thanks for the input Prepress! Is there any way to judge the room characteristics without measurements? i've long believed that the second I start measuring frequency responses in my room, is the second I stop enjoying the music. this isn't true for everybody, but i have obsessive compulsive tendencies (I ran Audyssey four times, just to make sure there were no variations in the results). What characteristics can I consider for a listening room that Audyssey doesn't already take into consideration?

What size is the room you want to convert?

There is a calculator online you can use, I'll see if I can dig it up. Also, as a general rule, you want to avoid square rooms. The more irregular a shape the better.

Keep in mind that the speakers you choose will also play a huge factor. Some are placement sensitive, some are not.
post #148 of 3302 Old 04-06-2011, 05:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Hate to burst your bubble, but I'm so primitive I've never used Audyssey. I also got caller ID only 3 years ago, and a cellular phone only last summer (and I average a robust 8 minutes a month usage).

This is all off the top of my head, understand. You can start with construction materials of the room. What are the walls/floors made of? Do they reflect or absorb sound? As ddgtr says, a square room isn't desirable; try for a rectangular one. Also consider how many doors or windows are in there and what furniture there is (which can help break up standing waves, etc.) and when in the room, do sounds tend to echo, or are they flat?

For me, it's always imperative to put a rug on the floor, and furniture can be part of room treatment as well. Couches and chairs can absorb sound and dampen the room a bit depending on what they're made of. If you have bright speakers you'll definitely want to have some treatment, and choose associated components accordingly.

Any more than this and I'd have to actually think . Hard, since I didn't sleep well last night.
post #149 of 3302 Old 04-09-2011, 03:09 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

If you listen closely, you'll hear the difference.

post #150 of 3302 Old 04-09-2011, 03:19 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddgtr View Post

What size is the room you want to convert?

There is a calculator online you can use, I'll see if I can dig it up. Also, as a general rule, you want to avoid square rooms. The more irregular a shape the better.

Keep in mind that the speakers you choose will also play a huge factor. Some are placement sensitive, some are not.

Ahhh, thankfully the room I'm considering is rectangular in shape, with one minor angular protrusion toward the rear of the room. I think I will need to look at speakers that are not placement sensitive, as the room is small and there are not many options in terms of placement. Ahh, now a new can of worms has been opened. Any idea what determines whether a speaker is placement sensitive or not?

Quote:

Hate to burst your bubble, but I'm so primitive I've never used Audyssey. I also got caller ID only 3 years ago, and a cellular phone only last summer (and I average a robust 8 minutes a month usage).

This is all off the top of my head, understand. You can start with construction materials of the room. What are the walls/floors made of? Do they reflect or absorb sound? As ddgtr says, a square room isn't desirable; try for a rectangular one. Also consider how many doors or windows are in there and what furniture there is (which can help break up standing waves, etc.) and when in the room, do sounds tend to echo, or are they flat?

For me, it's always imperative to put a rug on the floor, and furniture can be part of room treatment as well. Couches and chairs can absorb sound and dampen the room a bit depending on what they're made of. If you have bright speakers you'll definitely want to have some treatment, and choose associated components accordingly.

Any more than this and I'd have to actually think . Hard, since I didn't sleep well last night.

First cell phone last year????? I couldn't do it! Cell phones got big when I was in high-school, and I've been using them ever since. I really can't function without it. There is only one window and one door in the room, as it is a rather small guest bedroom. If i turned it into a listening room, it would be solely for audio--there would likely only be the equipment rack, speakers, acoustic paneling, one listening chair, and a nice, thick rug. The room does offer a rather flat response now, as I have a very basic system in there (that guests never use because they think "pressing play" is too complicated).

I appreciate the input guys!
Reply What's Your System Configuration

Tags
Emotiva Xpr 1 , Marantz Av8801 , Jvc Dla Rs66 , Cambridge Audio Azur Dacmagic 100 Silver , Oppo Bdp 105 Blu Ray Player , Panamax M5300 Pm 11 Outlet Clean Power Level 4 Black
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page