post #1711 of 3327 Old 03-25-2013, 11:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 178 Post(s)
Liked: 169
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrolicBeast View Post

Pursuing them would have been fiscally irresponsible of me.

How can you say your a "home theater enthusiast" and "fiscally responsible" in the same breath. That would be an oxymoron!

R 8:28

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1712 of 3327 Old 03-25-2013, 02:58 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 183 Post(s)
Liked: 312
Quote:
Originally Posted by SergeantYnot View Post

Brolic,

Thought you might be interested to know that I called a sales rep at Integra, and asked about their 2013 line. The gentleman explained that this is the first time in 5 years that their will not be a product refresh for most of their line. For the time being, the newly released DTR 70.4 is the current feature flagship. He was not sure if there would be a scheduled 80.4, or if they would jump to an 80.5 next year. Given that Onkyo is also refreshing their products every year (they just announced a "727", which leads me to believe their flagship version will be later announced in the summer as the "5011", or some variation"), I assumed Integra had the same upgrade schedule. Apparently not. This was one of the deciding factors in my purchase of the Denon 4520.

Thanks for the update Sarge--They probably saved me some money by not refreshing the line. When the 80.3 came out, I got it even though my 80.2 was working just fine....who knows what chaos an 80.4 would introduce. lol

The Build:
| The System:
| The Video Series:

Social:
|
|
|
|
post #1713 of 3327 Old 03-25-2013, 03:10 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MIkeDuke View Post

April huh? Should be a nice spring for you. I am looking forward to your thoughts and the video you will post. I am sure they will sound great.

Oh there will definitely be a video bro! April is definitely what I'm shooting for as far as getting them paid for--but I'm considering making a change to my intended order...thoughts are always running through this crazy head of mine.
Quote:
Originally Posted by prepress View Post

Legacies are coming. That's a thread title waiting to happen, you know (maybe with an exclamation point . . .).

Congratulations on the Legacy speakers. Never even having heard them, I know they'll be serious and a strong addition to your set-up.

Thanks Prepress! Once they're set up and dialed in, I plan to have an "AVS Movie night" on a 3-day weekend (Memorial Day, maybe?) You, and anyone else willing to make the drive, are more than welcome to come.
Quote:
Originally Posted by wkingincharge View Post

Looks like we all are anticipating your latest acquisitions lol!!!! I do look forward to seeing that color combination you are going with.

I think the lights will have to stay on while running those babies biggrin.gif !!!

LOL, absolutely. Lights on for everything except movies, to feast mine eyes upon the gorgeous finish!
Quote:
Originally Posted by audioguy View Post

How can you say your a "home theater enthusiast" and "fiscally responsible" in the same breath. That would be an oxymoron!

Ha! The above statement is quite true....fiscal responsibility does not reside in the mind of an HT enthusiast. What I should have stated was "that would not have been smart of me, considering another alternative I'm considering..." I"m going to post the alternative below...

The Build:
| The System:
| The Video Series:

Social:
|
|
|
|
post #1714 of 3327 Old 03-25-2013, 03:15 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

If I can manage to sell my older HT Gear, I'm seriously considering pursuing the Aeris instead of the Focus, but keeping the Marquis in the purchase plan. Recent events make this feasible technically, but it's becoming more of a value concern now. This consideration will only come to fruition if I can sell my older gear to offset the hefty, albeit well earned, price-tag though.

The Build:
| The System:
| The Video Series:

Social:
|
|
|
|
post #1715 of 3327 Old 03-26-2013, 09:29 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:

Thanks for the update Sarge--They probably saved me some money by not refreshing the line. When the 80.3 came out, I got it even though my 80.2 was working just fine....who knows what chaos an 80.4 would introduce. lol

Brolic,

Was the difference between the 80.2 and 80.3 just Audyssey DSX and 4K support, or were there some other features that caught your eye? Both are fine processors, was there any sound quality improvement at all when making that jump?
post #1716 of 3327 Old 03-26-2013, 11:00 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Brolic,

Was the difference between the 80.2 and 80.3 just Audyssey DSX and 4K support, or were there some other features that caught your eye? Both are fine processors, was there any sound quality improvement at all when making that jump?

The 4K support is how I justified the upgrade to myself at the time; however, in retrospect, it wasn't a need. I have enough 4K upscaling devices to last me a until I'm an old man...although I shan't have them for more than another year or so.

The Build:
| The System:
| The Video Series:

Social:
|
|
|
|
post #1717 of 3327 Old 03-26-2013, 12:19 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Hey Matt, it was great to visit with you on Sunday, I hope you enjoyed listening to the new music I brought along.

While your theater is already very nice, your new Legacy Audio speakers are definitely going to take it many levels higher. With your two Submersive F2s and the Crowsons, you will have one hell of an awesome audio system.

BTW, that was awesome how we were able to figure out how to set JRiver to display the bitdepth and sampling rate during playback in Theater View! I will be setting that up on Mike Duke's and my Baetis media servers. Maybe you want to outline the process on here for others to see, or maybe do a YouTube vlog on the process?

Fine Music, Movies, Wine, and Friends - A Life Well Lived!
post #1718 of 3327 Old 03-26-2013, 12:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 108 Post(s)
Liked: 75
Aeris huh?
That should be really sweet. Not like the system you have in mind is any slouch though smile.gif.

It ain't easy being green.

post #1719 of 3327 Old 03-26-2013, 03:07 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMark1 View Post

Hey Matt, it was great to visit with you on Sunday, I hope you enjoyed listening to the new music I brought along.

While your theater is already very nice, your new Legacy Audio speakers are definitely going to take it many levels higher. With your two Submersive F2s and the Crowsons, you will have one hell of an awesome audio system.

BTW, that was awesome how we were able to figure out how to set JRiver to display the bitdepth and sampling rate during playback in Theater View! I will be setting that up on Mike Duke's and my Baetis media servers. Maybe you want to outline the process on here for others to see, or maybe do a YouTube vlog on the process?

Hey Dennis,

It was great to have you swing by the house man. I look forward to getting those new babies into my setup. I agree, it was pretty awesome how we got Jriver to show that playback info--it certainly feels good to view that playback info in real-time. I'll probably cook up a tutorial video soon--I've actually been meaning to shoot a "J-River: Tips & Tricks" video for weeks, but I haven't been able to find the time. BTW, I really appreciate the music you brought down. I must say, I'm enjoying NIckel Creek and that husband-and-wife duo (Angus & Julia) the most.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MIkeDuke View Post

Aeris huh?
That should be really sweet. Not like the system you have in mind is any slouch though smile.gif.

Yeah man--it's a definite possibility. There are a few variables that need to be sorted out before going that route, though.

The Build:
| The System:
| The Video Series:

Social:
|
|
|
|
post #1720 of 3327 Old 03-29-2013, 02:39 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

My Oppo bdp-105 will probably be the last blu ray player I'll need to own. Having spent the last 3 months getting fully adjusted to media server life, playback of physical discs has been relegated to 3D movies. It pays to be a Do-It-Yourself kind of person.

I wont re-hash the joys of Jriver, as I've sung its praises quite often. I instead want to pose a question to my fellow AVS-ers: what has been the single most significant (highest impact) evolution that your theater has seen in the last two years?

The Build:
| The System:
| The Video Series:

Social:
|
|
|
|
post #1721 of 3327 Old 03-29-2013, 04:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 108 Post(s)
Liked: 75
I can't wait until I get my server and Jriver setup either. It should be a great thing for me. The only disks I will probably play on my OPPO are SACD's and DVD-A disks. As far as the biggest impact, I will list two, even though they go back more then two years. The first was getting rid of my big wall unit in favor of more resonable racks. The second was room treatments. I simply did not understand how important they were until I had them. Awe what the hell, I through one more in there. Going to full HD audio and video with room correction. Those are three big changes that took my system to another level when I was done with them. I will keep you updated on my server experiment smile.gif.

It ain't easy being green.

post #1722 of 3327 Old 03-29-2013, 11:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked: 442
Quote:

My Oppo bdp-105 will probably be the last blu ray player I'll need to own. Having spent the last 3 months getting fully adjusted to media server life, playback of physical discs has been relegated to 3D movies. It pays to be a Do-It-Yourself kind of person.

I wont re-hash the joys of Jriver, as I've sung its praises quite often. I instead want to pose a question to my fellow AVS-ers: what has been the single most significant (highest impact) evolution that your theater has seen in the last two years?

Hi BrolicBeast!, I like all the sweet recent changes you've made on this fantastic A/V journey of ours , if I had to narrow it down to one single evolution is the Marantz 8801 as I was just looking to get something to see what Audyssey and possibly the move to 7.1 or 7.2 while retaining my setups musical aspects, what I heard from the 8801 with out Audyssey was evolutionary as I've never heard a processors lock on a signal like a Pit Bull and not let go till ya throw hot water on it! (very expressive I know) The 8801's pans between all speakers( I'm still 5.1) and its impact delivery and flat out what could be described as perfect timing has to be heard to believe. This was tough to call as I just added 8-9 new pieces including the Oppo 105 to my setup but the 8801 gets the vote !
wilfredent likes this.
post #1723 of 3327 Old 03-30-2013, 12:32 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 19
You guys and all your great ideas lol!!

I am very interested in the J river option and it will likely be one of my next ventures that and going video projection but I am aggressively working on getting into another place and then create the A/V room to support all this great equipment I already have.

To answer your question Brolic is a tough one with all my recent add- ons but its a tie between room treatments and how it tamed my room and switching from ported to sealed subwoofers eventually adding a 2nd one.

Oh no I just became a senior member lol!!! posting on here better late than never
post #1724 of 3327 Old 03-30-2013, 03:52 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Quote:

As always, the home theater is constantly evolving. I'd have to say that the most significant change has been the move to a real subwoofer. I'd been using an older 8 inch DCM sub for years. It was a hand me down from my father, who got me started in home theater as I'd inherit his older gear as he upgraded. Just over a year ago, the AVS upgrade bug bit me and I decided it was time for something new. I decided to go Internet direct, and for the price to performance ratio, plus the praise I read in the subwoofer forum, I decided on an Elemental Designs A3-250 sub. The sub was a dud with a noticeable chirping from the woofer, even with the gain just a tick over zero. Unfortunately, I bought the sub right before eD closed shop for good. I know, lesson learned. I lived with the defective sub for a little while as my sub evolution continued. I decided upon an Outlaw Audio LFM-1 EX sub and couldn't be happier. I never knew what I was missing in terms of LFE/bass until I integrated this sub in my setup. I'm sure I don't have to tell my fellow AVS-ers, what it means to have a real sub!!!! I'm considering a second LFM-1 EX, if I can get the funds together. biggrin.gifeek.gif

post #1725 of 3327 Old 04-01-2013, 09:18 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Brolic,

First, glad to hear you like the media server life. People thought I was nuts 4 years ago when I abandoned discs. 3D discs are still not perfected for rips, so that's all I use discs for now anymore.

Also, that's an interesting question about the most significant upgrade for my home theater in the past 2 years. I would have to say without a doubt, the Oppo. Before having the 95 and now 103 in my system, I remember the first time I hooked up the 93. I had the 7.1 analog connected, and was fiddling with the HDMI to get video. In the meantime I had Pirates of the Caribbean 3 as a demo disc, and the first time I heard the 93 was the menu screen of the disc. Without seeing any video, the audio was just incredible. The separation and detail was amazing. Later I would play Game of Thrones and Dark Knight and saw new detail that I didn't know my displays were capable of. That's what started getting me interested in video processing.

Let's face it, you can have a state-of-the-art display and sound system, but without a great source it will all go to waste.
post #1726 of 3327 Old 04-01-2013, 09:21 AM
Advanced Member

By the way, for anyone interested in the Denon 4520 and was leery from all the issues posted on AVS, it appears all the issues have been traced to units manufactured prior to December 2012. My unit has a January 2013 build date, and has been working flawlessly.
post #1727 of 3327 Old 04-01-2013, 11:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 91 Post(s)
Liked: 77
Quote:

By the way, for anyone interested in the Denon 4520 and was leery from all the issues posted on AVS, it appears all the issues have been traced to units manufactured prior to December 2012. My unit has a January 2013 build date, and has been working flawlessly.

Guess I should keep my fingers crossed... Mine was manufactured in November 2012 and has been working perfectly as well. Now, I am only using it as a Pre-Amp which might mask me from some of the issues..
post #1728 of 3327 Old 04-01-2013, 11:15 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by COACH2369 View Post

Guess I should keep my fingers crossed... Mine was manufactured in November 2012 and has been working perfectly as well. Now, I am only using it as a Pre-Amp which might mask me from some of the issues..

Some of the issues that seem to be commonly reported are overheating (not in preamp mode) and one of the speaker channels will mysteriously drop out. Minor HDMI issues and board failures have been pointed out as well. I will certainly keep my eye on my unit and try to burn it in quickly to uncover any potential flaws while I am still covered under my AD's return policy. Worst case scenario there is a Denon service center 10 minutes from my house, but I would rather just have a working unit altogether. After all, it is supposed to be a flagship unit right? tongue.gif

With that said, I absolutely love the sound coming from my unit. I take it you are pleased with yours as well?
post #1729 of 3327 Old 04-01-2013, 11:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 91 Post(s)
Liked: 77
Quote:

Some of the issues that seem to be commonly reported are overheating (not in preamp mode) and one of the speaker channels will mysteriously drop out. Minor HDMI issues and board failures have been pointed out as well. I will certainly keep my eye on my unit and try to burn it in quickly to uncover any potential flaws while I am still covered under my AD's return policy. Worst case scenario there is a Denon service center 10 minutes from my house, but I would rather just have a working unit altogether. After all, it is supposed to be a flagship unit right? tongue.gif

With that said, I absolutely love the sound coming from my unit. I take it you are pleased with yours as well?

It does a great job for me. It is paired with a Sunfire TGA-7401, which I am enjoying very much. I replaced a very "cranky" and loud Onkyo 5508 with the 4520.
post #1730 of 3327 Old 04-01-2013, 06:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 264
Quote:

Upgrading to a receiver that does HD bitstreaming. Amazing difference over what I had before even though I had a decent AVR.

post #1731 of 3327 Old 04-01-2013, 07:08 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 50
BrolicBeast, I would have to say the addition of the Denon AVR-4310ci and the new Emotiva XPA-3 power amp have brought my system to the next level. The sound is much more detailed and dynamic. JT

My meager set up

post #1732 of 3327 Old 04-02-2013, 09:52 AM
Advanced Member

Brolic,

I just switched sound modes from my processor and am finding better results. I was previously using Audsyssey DSX and now have been experimenting with DTS-NEO:X. I find DSX seems too "matrixy" for my tastes. Some soundtracks I have been listening to for years sound more fluid with DTS, so that's what I will prefer for the time being. For my Xbox that uses Dolby Digital, I was using Dolby Digital PLIIz, but will still test that out as well, along with DSX. What modes do you find yourself using the most with DTS-HD, Dolby TrueHD, etc?
post #1733 of 3327 Old 04-03-2013, 10:13 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I appreciate everyone who answered my inquiry regarding the highest-impact device in your theaters...it looks like Audio was predominant, with receivers/Processors taking the cake. I love gaining some insight into what other HT enthusiasts think about the gear in their theaters. Groovey cool.gif

The Build:
| The System:
| The Video Series:

Social:
|
|
|
|
post #1734 of 3327 Old 04-03-2013, 10:28 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Brolic,

I just switched sound modes from my processor and am finding better results. I was previously using Audsyssey DSX and now have been experimenting with DTS-NEO:X. I find DSX seems too "matrixy" for my tastes. Some soundtracks I have been listening to for years sound more fluid with DTS, so that's what I will prefer for the time being. For my Xbox that uses Dolby Digital, I was using Dolby Digital PLIIz, but will still test that out as well, along with DSX. What modes do you find yourself using the most with DTS-HD, Dolby TrueHD, etc?

Hey man, I avoid sound matrixing at all costs. I listen only in native channels...now, if I go with wides, ill use DSX for movies (if I can get speakers positioned properly), but outside of that, I remain true to the source channels. I use PCM for critical listening with only Audyssey processing turned on. But for other sources, I leave my processor on "straight decode."

The Build:
| The System:
| The Video Series:

Social:
|
|
|
|
post #1735 of 3327 Old 04-03-2013, 10:29 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jnnt29 View Post

BrolicBeast, I would have to say the addition of the Denon AVR-4310ci and the new Emotiva XPA-3 power amp have brought my system to the next level. The sound is much more detailed and dynamic. JT

An epic combo for the ages!!!!!

The Build:
| The System:
| The Video Series:

Social:
|
|
|
|
post #1736 of 3327 Old 04-03-2013, 11:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 60
Quote:

The only thing I did the last two years as regards my system (without digging up receipts to check) was upgrade the power protection. My Furmans run quieter than the Tripplite they replaced, and are more versatile. Plus, though I'm not sure I need it, the 45A current reserve will treat my amps right if needed. I don't count the latest monster (McIntosh C2300 preamp) since it's not actually in the system yet. But soon, I hope . . .

post #1737 of 3327 Old 04-03-2013, 05:26 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by prepress View Post

The only thing I did the last two years as regards my system (without digging up receipts to check) was upgrade the power protection. My Furmans run quieter than the Tripplite they replaced, and are more versatile. Plus, though I'm not sure I need it, the 45A current reserve will treat my amps right if needed. I don't count the latest monster (McIntosh C2300 preamp) since it's not actually in the system yet. But soon, I hope . . .

Dude, I was going to say "what about your new McIntosh!?" until I read your last sentence!

Your Furmans have a 45 Amp current reserve??? Whoa--do they have a built-in UPS to provide all that power (if you ever decided to power a jet engine with your Furmans, that is. lol)?

The Build:
| The System:
| The Video Series:

Social:
|
|
|
|
post #1738 of 3327 Old 04-04-2013, 05:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 60
Quote:

Dude, I was going to say "what about your new McIntosh!?" until I read your last sentence!

Your Furmans have a 45 Amp current reserve??? Whoa--do they have a built-in UPS to provide all that power (if you ever decided to power a jet engine with your Furmans, that is. lol)?

The Elite-15PFi has the reserve (3A continuous, 45A peak) on two dedicated outlets. That's where the amps will be plugged into when the new setup is complete (which looks like it will be Saturday). The Power Factor Technology built into the Elite-15PFi provides the reserve. The Elite will plug into the SPR-20i voltage regulator. I don't have a UPS for the stereo, but I'm okay. The 20A version has 55A peak; the top-of-the-line IT-Reference 20i has 9A continuous, 80A peak.

Meantime, I'm waiting on those Legacies of yours.

post #1739 of 3327 Old 04-04-2013, 09:53 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Prepress, I've actually been thinking about replacing my Panamax m-5300PMs with a pair of Furman power conditioners (I can't remember the model I was looking at). Did you notice a jump in performance when jumping from trip-liters to Furman?

The Build:
| The System:
| The Video Series:

Social:
|
|
|
|
post #1740 of 3327 Old 04-04-2013, 10:06 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

So.....the Magnolia in my neighborhood has the Ultra HD Sony 84" behemoth.....my goodness. On a trip there on Tues (to pick up The Bible: Epic Miniseries on blu ray), I stood right in front the screen and the resolution was revelatory in ways I can't describe in words. I wanted one. Will I get one? Heck no...$24k for anything without wheels and an engine isn't an acceptable purchase in my book...plus...when I got home and went through my demo material, the desire went away quickly. 84" UHD pales in comparison to 1) 120", 2) 2:35:1 aspect ratio, 3) the level of immersion provided by both 1&2 in tandem. Sometimes we just need to remind ourselves that our time and financial investments are so worth it.
wilfredent likes this.

The Build:
| The System:
| The Video Series:

Social:
|
|
|
|
Reply What's Your System Configuration

Tags
Emotiva Xpr 1 , Marantz Av8801 , Jvc Dla Rs66 , Cambridge Audio Azur Dacmagic 100 Silver , Oppo Bdp 105 Blu Ray Player , Panamax M5300 Pm 11 Outlet Clean Power Level 4 Black
Gear in this thread - Av8801 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page