Advertisement

post #182 of 3327 Old 05-03-2011, 03:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 54
Brolic,

I just went back and looked at the photos of your system all over again. How is the ventilation for your equipment? I would think the area gets rather warm.
post #183 of 3327 Old 05-04-2011, 01:45 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 153 Post(s)
Liked: 295
Quote:
Originally Posted by prepress View Post

Brolic,

I just went back and looked at the photos of your system all over again. How is the ventilation for your equipment? I would think the area gets rather warm.

Greetings Prepress.......the area does get warm, but never hot. For music, the ventilation through the projector hole is enough. For movies and console gaming, I usually crack the door just a smidge and all is well.

Now, I just moved my monster PC Rig from the media room down to the theater (seemed only logical). So, for PC gaming, my computer has Tri-SLI GTX-285' GPU's, each with its own dedicated power supply (1900w total). All that power generates a LOT of heat, so when I game on my PC, I must have the door wide open!!! Otherwise, the projector will flash a red "Temperature" warning on the screen.
post #184 of 3327 Old 05-04-2011, 07:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 264
Tri SLI huh? I wonder how much efficiency goes down once you move past 2 cards. Plus not to mention scaling isn't probably as good as the newer 5XX series is. Still I bet it smokes most games without question. No Tesselation but eh I doubt you miss it much.
post #185 of 3327 Old 05-05-2011, 08:25 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcweber111 View Post

Tri SLI huh? I wonder how much efficiency goes down once you move past 2 cards. Plus not to mention scaling isn't probably as good as the newer 5XX series is. Still I bet it smokes most games without question. No Tesselation but eh I doubt you miss it much.

Yeah, at 4.2Ghz Overclocked w/ tri-channel 6GB RAM and the TRi-SLI 285's, I've never come across a game that the system couldn't run at Max settings--Including Crysis, Crysis: Warhead (the two most demanding to date), and Crysis 2. Here's the thing--the industry is moving away from Sky-High Benchmark-level games, and are moving towards catering to all consumers (a logical business move, as there is more $ in mass appeal), so if I updated to a 580 setup, I would see no perceptable difference in performance, althought it might get me 3 more FPS in FRAPS. Tesselation Schmesselation I say!!! lol :-) But, as soon as a killer app comes out that actually requires three 580's to run, I will be going to NewEgg to order three of those monsters immediately!!!
post #186 of 3327 Old 05-07-2011, 02:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 264
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrolicBeast View Post

Yeah, at 4.2Ghz Overclocked w/ tri-channel 6GB RAM and the TRi-SLI 285's, I've never come across a game that the system couldn't run at Max settings--Including Crysis, Crysis: Warhead (the two most demanding to date), and Crysis 2. Here's the thing--the industry is moving away from Sky-High Benchmark-level games, and are moving towards catering to all consumers (a logical business move, as there is more $ in mass appeal), so if I updated to a 580 setup, I would see no perceptable difference in performance, althought it might get me 3 more FPS in FRAPS. Tesselation Schmesselation I say!!! lol :-) But, as soon as a killer app comes out that actually requires three 580's to run, I will be going to NewEgg to order three of those monsters immediately!!!

Yeah I just upgraded to a Radeon 6950 and don't really see the need to do Xfire yet I get almost max fps is just about every game I play. I just wish the market would get back to making a max PC version first and trickling down to the consoles. Pipe dream it appears. Ah well, anyway I was watching some of your videos on youtube: not bad! Keep 'em coming!
post #187 of 3327 Old 05-08-2011, 12:13 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Hey guys, just got a new Credenza for the front of the Living Room Theater! I'm loving the way it makes the place look!!!
post #188 of 3327 Old 05-08-2011, 02:19 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:

Hey guys, just got a new Credenza for the front of the Living Room Theater! I'm loving the way it makes the place look!!!

I like it, are you going to put your equipments in it?
post #189 of 3327 Old 05-08-2011, 02:29 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by YoMaMa84 View Post

I like it, are you going to put your equipments in it?

Thanks! I won't be putting my equipment in there, only because all of it simply wouldn't fit! lol.....but even if they could, I would have ventilation issues. I'm in love the concept of "the rack," thus, on a rack the gear shall remain!!
post #190 of 3327 Old 05-08-2011, 02:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Very nice photo. And a nice, clean-looking room. Another photo that causes me to wish I had a house. Or at least more room.

So the credenza will house whatever equipment belongs to this theater, and the rest stays with the main theater, in the racks, where there's room for it to breathe, is that right?
post #191 of 3327 Old 05-08-2011, 02:58 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Very nice photo. And a nice, clean-looking room. Another photo that causes me to wish I had a house. Or at least more room.

So the credenza will house whatever equipment belongs to this theater, and the rest stays with the main theater, in the racks, where there's room for it to breathe, is that right?

Thanks Prepress! This is actually the same main theater from the beginning of the thread--I've just never shown the left-side of the room that opens into the kitchen. My primary theater does indeed reside in the living room (this room). I've replaced the glass stand with the credenza and stacked the bookshelves that house the Blu Ray collection (slightly visible to the left of the picture). All i have in the credenza right now are the Harmony 1100 touch-screen remote, the Sonos CR200 controller, and their respective charging stations!
post #192 of 3327 Old 05-08-2011, 04:41 PM
Advanced Member

Broc,

I'm loving the new look. That piece of furniture has a classy look for sure. Enjoy.
post #193 of 3327 Old 05-08-2011, 04:54 PM
Advanced Member

I had to go back and look at the original thread to see how big a difference that made. I really liked your room before, but that just adds a whole nother level of class to your room. Looks great.
post #194 of 3327 Old 05-08-2011, 05:52 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 39
That new credenza is very nice!! The picture on your projector displays an awesome picture!!

post #195 of 3327 Old 05-09-2011, 06:20 AM
CIH USER

Quoted: 135 Post(s)
Liked: 201
Quote:

Very nice Brolic.Thats class my friend

Frank

post #196 of 3327 Old 05-09-2011, 07:50 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcweber111 View Post

Yeah I just upgraded to a Radeon 6950 and don't really see the need to do Xfire yet I get almost max fps is just about every game I play. I just wish the market would get back to making a max PC version first and trickling down to the consoles. Pipe dream it appears. Ah well, anyway I was watching some of your videos on youtube: not bad! Keep 'em coming!

Man I hear you. I WISH they would go back to making the Max PC versions first. It would help make sure we don't save too much $, since between our theater gear and our PC gear, money would be constantly being spent! lol. I shall indeed be adding more Youtube videos as the equipment progresses.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gelinas View Post

Broc,

I'm loving the new look. That piece of furniture has a classy look for sure. Enjoy.

Ah, many thanks! I'm tyring to upgrade non-electronic items one step at a time. I needed to increase the class to offset the Giant Projector Screen case hanging on the wall just under the ceiling, ya know? Even though it only comes down for movies, it did sorta stick out before. Now the eye goes to the new widest-thing in the room.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hikarate View Post

I had to go back and look at the original thread to see how big a difference that made. I really liked your room before, but that just adds a whole nother level of class to your room. Looks great.

I appreciate it sir! Yeah, I didn't know how big of a difference it would make until the delivery folks dropped it into the room. I was like...**In caveman voice** "Ooooooh Me Likey"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigham16 View Post

That new credenza is very nice!! The picture on your projector displays an awesome picture!!

Gracias....man, I was admiring that setup of yours as well. That 64-incher with that super-flat mount look amazing. Not to mentioned the SVS AND EMOTIVA gear.....As my younger, college aged self would have said: "That is off-the-chain son" (I'm from New York, where everybody calls each other "son," "bro," or "man."

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franin View Post

Very nice Brolic.Thats class my friend

Thanks man.....I'm trying to hit your level one day with the dedicated theater room!!! *Sigh* One Day..... *looks toward sky*.....One Day.
post #197 of 3327 Old 05-09-2011, 07:59 AM

Quote:

.....As my younger, college aged self would have said: "That is off-the-chain son" (I'm from New York, where everybody calls each other "son," "bro," or "man."

Where in NY are you from?

I'm from the Bronx, moved here (Maryland) almost 4 years ago.
post #198 of 3327 Old 05-09-2011, 08:18 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by YoMaMa84 View Post

Where in NY are you from?

I'm from the Bronx, moved here (Maryland) almost 4 years ago.

Ahhh you're from the BX! Nice. I'm from Queens!

Jamaica, Queens to be precise. Would you believe i've only been to the Bronx three times in my life? But then again, as I'm sure you know--People in NYC usually tend to stay within the boroughs that they live in. I can count on two hands the number of times I've been to Manhattan as well.
post #199 of 3327 Old 05-11-2011, 01:57 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

But alas, I have followed in the footsteps of prepress and ordered three Pangea Audio AC9 power cables. One for the Oppo BDP-93, one for the Oppo BDP-83 that I use for stereo playback, and one for the Integra DHC-80.2 processor. Oh what joy! Now, I will just have to be carefull when plugging them into my power conditioners....
post #200 of 3327 Old 05-11-2011, 02:55 PM

Quote:
Big improvement in aesthetics.

I also noticed that you changed the lamp and removed the picture and docking station on the small Credenza to the left of your new Credenza. That looks good also.

Nice improvement over all.

The All Seeing
Critical Eye
post #201 of 3327 Old 05-11-2011, 03:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

But alas, I have followed in the footsteps of prepress and ordered three Pangea Audio AC9 power cables. One for the Oppo BDP-93, one for the Oppo BDP-83 that I use for stereo playback, and one for the Integra DHC-80.2 processor. Oh what joy! Now, I will just have to be carefull when plugging them into my power conditioners....

What! I will hope that you can make it work, as those are 7AWG, usually used with power amps, very heavy and (as you saw in my thread) pretty stiff. What made you choose those over, say, the Pangea AC-14s, or more PS Audio cords?
post #202 of 3327 Old 05-11-2011, 05:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 79
Looking good!
post #203 of 3327 Old 05-11-2011, 08:25 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

What! I will hope that you can make it work, as those are 7AWG, usually used with power amps, very heavy and (as you saw in my thread) pretty stiff. What made you choose those over, say, the Pangea AC-14s, or more PS Audio cords?

Ah yes, the placement should work, as I ordered decent-length 4.5 foot cords. I chose those because i wanted to see if the 7awg cable made a difference in the Pure mode of the Oppo BDP-83. Audio Advisor has a package of three, so I just scooped that package up for a deal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by drewTT View Post

Looking good!

Thank you mucho!!!
post #204 of 3327 Old 05-11-2011, 08:27 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Critical Eye View Post

Big improvement in aesthetics.

I also noticed that you changed the lamp and removed the picture and docking station on the small Credenza to the left of your new Credenza. That looks good also.

Nice improvement over all.

Ahh, you've got a good eye! A good Critical eye, that is! lol...Thank you kindly!
post #205 of 3327 Old 05-12-2011, 02:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Not wanting to put words into your fingers, I originally had answered my own question but deleted it from the post. I figured it had to be the very good price of the AC-9 or else positive reviews. It will be interesting to see what happens.
post #206 of 3327 Old 05-13-2011, 05:36 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Not wanting to put words into your fingers, I originally had answered my own question but deleted it from the post. I figured it had to be the very good price of the AC-9 or else positive reviews. It will be interesting to see what happens.

Hey man, the AC 9's came, and with careful routing, I was able to get them to fit into the system perfectly. i think it helps that the Rack has about 5 feet of clearance behind it! lol....I haven't fully broken them in yet, but I have them going to the following gear:

1) Oppo BDP-93 (Movies)
2) Oppo BDP-83 (Music)
3) Integra DHC-80.2

I almost feel like adding it to the Integra pronounces the bass a bit, but it could just be a plecebo effect, as the cables aren't broken in yet, so I will be sure to report how they are after a good break in! I still have the PS Audio AC5 powering the amp...I LOVE that cable, but it's just so expensive! lol
post #207 of 3327 Old 05-13-2011, 06:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Hey man, the AC 9's came, and with careful routing, I was able to get them to fit into the system perfectly. i think it helps that the Rack has about 5 feet of clearance behind it! lol....I haven't fully broken them in yet, but I have them going to the following gear:

1) Oppo BDP-93 (Movies)
2) Oppo BDP-83 (Music)
3) Integra DHC-80.2

I almost feel like adding it to the Integra pronounces the bass a bit, but it could just be a plecebo effect, as the cables aren't broken in yet, so I will be sure to report how they are after a good break in! I still have the PS Audio AC5 powering the amp...I LOVE that cable, but it's just so expensive! lol

That was part of my problem, perhaps. No clearance to make the big Pangea fit comfortably into my connections, the 1m in particular. But they've gotten some good press, and I'd think they won't disappoint.
post #208 of 3327 Old 05-14-2011, 10:21 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

My three new Pangea Audio AC9 power cords have arrived!

The top AC9 is going to the Oppo BDP-93 for movie playback. The bottom AC9 is going to the Oppo BDP-83 that connects to a DAC for Stereo music playback.

AC9 into the rear of the Integra DHC-80.2

...and Into the Power Conditioner they goooo
post #209 of 3327 Old 05-14-2011, 10:34 PM
CIH USER

Quoted: 135 Post(s)
Liked: 201
Quote:

My three new Pangea Audio AC9 power cords have arrived!

The top AC9 is going to the Oppo BDP-93 for movie playback. The bottom AC9 is going to the Oppo BDP-83 that connects to a DAC for Stereo music playback.

AC9 into the rear of the Integra DHC-80.2

...and Into the Power Conditioner they goooo

Do you notice any difference ?

Frank

post #210 of 3327 Old 05-15-2011, 09:40 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franin View Post

Do you notice any difference ?

Not Yet....I need to break them in on all three devices though.
Reply What's Your System Configuration

Tags
Emotiva Xpr 1 , Marantz Av8801 , Jvc Dla Rs66 , Cambridge Audio Azur Dacmagic 100 Silver , Oppo Bdp 105 Blu Ray Player , Panamax M5300 Pm 11 Outlet Clean Power Level 4 Black
Gear in this thread - Av8801 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page