post #2071 of 3327 Old 06-12-2013, 05:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 264
Quote:
Originally Posted by jnnt29 View Post

Or have it signature required so it can not driver release it.

Nah, I'd rather have it delivered to work so I can look at it all day until I get off...work that is. biggrin.gif

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2072 of 3327 Old 06-12-2013, 10:31 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 183 Post(s)
Liked: 312
Ha! The FedEx box magically appeared when I stopped at the house on my way to an off-site meeting. When I got back, I spent the rest of my time swapping out the receptacles on my 20 amp circuits with receptacles that can accept the flat blade 5-20 plug required for the XPR-1's. Had to do some drilling to get the XLR's into the equipment room, but the hard part's over!

The Build:
| The System:
| The Video Series:

Social:
|
|
|
|
post #2073 of 3327 Old 06-13-2013, 03:52 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Very cool !!!
glad the ending was a happy one.
Now get us some footage :-)

post #2074 of 3327 Old 06-13-2013, 04:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 108 Post(s)
Liked: 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrolicBeast View Post

Ha! The FedEx box magically appeared when I stopped at the house on my way to an off-site meeting. When I got back, I spent the rest of my time swapping out the receptacles on my 20 amp circuits with receptacles that can accept the flat blade 5-20 plug required for the XPR-1's. Had to do some drilling to get the XLR's into the equipment room, but the hard part's over!
Fantastic. Can't wait to hear some of your thoughts when you get some listening time in. You have quite the system Matt, You should be very proud.

It ain't easy being green.

post #2075 of 3327 Old 06-13-2013, 09:27 AM

Liked: 15
Quote:

Video: Legacy Focus SE & Marquis HD [First Look]

Speechless!!

I leave the forum for a short period of time and Matt get all new fantastic gear!! major upgrade mate!! looks awesome and I bet It sounds even better!! eek.gif
post #2076 of 3327 Old 06-13-2013, 01:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 60
Quote:

The plot thickens . . .

post #2077 of 3327 Old 06-13-2013, 04:29 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenkzy56 View Post

Very cool !!!
glad the ending was a happy one.
Now get us some footage :-)

LOLOL--footage on the way!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by MIkeDuke View Post

Fantastic. Can't wait to hear some of your thoughts when you get some listening time in. You have quite the system Matt, You should be very proud.

Thanks man--I'm definitely proud of this journey that's been possibe only through the advice and discussion of my fellow AVS'ers! I'm putting the system through it's paces-my goodnes, these XPR-1's are limitless in their power! My ears gave up earlier, and there was barely a blip on the amps' meter.
Quote:
Originally Posted by aldiallo View Post

Speechless!!

I leave the forum for a short period of time and Matt get all new fantastic gear!! major upgrade mate!! looks awesome and I bet It sounds even better!! eek.gif

Al!! Where have you been man? I hope all is well over there in France! I appreciate the kind words man....I've been grinning all evening!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by prepress View Post

The plot thickens . . .

lol, thick as molasses.

The Build:
| The System:
| The Video Series:

Social:
|
|
|
|
post #2078 of 3327 Old 06-13-2013, 04:34 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quick question for all: Does anyone know how to get rid of a ground loop hum? It looks something, somewhere has introduced a GLH and cheater plugs are not an option. I'm trying to avoid re-qiring my 20 amp outlets, as the electricians did not leave much wire slack when they originally ran the circuits and it's literally 2 hours of trial and error to get the wires under the screws just right. Don't get me wrong--I could easily live with this as it's fairly low--but I'd rather not.

Or....could it just be regular amp hum--1700 wpc is bound to cause some humming, as I had low humming with my old Klipsch which were fed 200wpc.....

Exploring my music collection and having a blast doing it!!!

I don't think I"ll ever leave Emotiva....their amps sound so.....amazing.

The Build:
| The System:
| The Video Series:

Social:
|
|
|
|
post #2079 of 3327 Old 06-13-2013, 05:39 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Emotiva XPR-1 monoblocks in their natural habitat!

Emotiva XPA-1 monoblock (powering center channel) and XPA-200 (powering surrounds)
jenkzy56 likes this.

The Build:
| The System:
| The Video Series:

Social:
|
|
|
|
post #2080 of 3327 Old 06-13-2013, 05:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 177 Post(s)
Liked: 169
Quote:

Emotiva XPA-1 monoblock (powering center channel) and XPA-200 (powering surrounds)

Kind of wimpy in size, don't you think? eek.gif

So how does it SOUND??

VERY high end looking. I'm a huge Emotiva fan. I really don't know how they deliver what they do at those price points!!

R 8:28

post #2081 of 3327 Old 06-13-2013, 05:49 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Man, it sounds amazing. Everything comes together to make one sphere of sound around me. They are handling anything I throw at them with ease...these will probably be the last amps I'll ever need to own. I don't know how they do it either.....They must have a Chief Magic Officer (CMO) on their executive team...

The Build:
| The System:
| The Video Series:

Social:
|
|
|
|
post #2082 of 3327 Old 06-13-2013, 06:09 PM

ahhh yea !!!
those babies look killer Matt !
I am so happy for you that In solidarity, I'm gonna buy an XPA-5 when i get home from Brazil tomorrow !

no really, I am wink.gif

post #2083 of 3327 Old 06-13-2013, 06:27 PM

Liked: 13
Congrats on the upgrades I can only imagine what your theater sounds like to your neighbor's
post #2084 of 3327 Old 06-13-2013, 07:08 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Those Emotiva's look amazing on those stands man and I bet they sound just as good.

I guess your movies theater days are done since you will have no time while listening to all your music and movies all over again lol!!!

Enjoy !!!!
post #2085 of 3327 Old 06-13-2013, 07:09 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 50
Holy cr@p! Those XPR1s are gorgeous! My XPA3 has monoblock envy. lol. eek.gif

My meager set up

post #2086 of 3327 Old 06-13-2013, 07:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 177 Post(s)
Liked: 169
Quote:

these will probably be the last amps I'll ever need to own.

What's "need" got to do with it. rolleyes.gif

Seriously, for music, even very loud rock music, that amp/speaker combination will probably never run out of gas. Movies, on the other hand, (as you know) can put serious demands on the low end and it is REAL easy to run out of amp on a full range speaker. Overdrive an amp hard enough and you can really mess with the drivers (as in freeze voice coils).

But since you are talking about eventually buying Seaton F4's (or whatever they are called), that should never be an issue.

Awesome looking system.

Congrats!!

R 8:28

post #2087 of 3327 Old 06-13-2013, 07:50 PM

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 87
See.. Wasn't EMOTIVA the BETTER choice over Parasound?
post #2088 of 3327 Old 06-13-2013, 07:59 PM

Liked: 10
yeah,Very nice system and thorough photos. thanks for your sharing 10.gif
post #2089 of 3327 Old 06-14-2013, 12:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked: 441
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevon27 View Post

Keep in mind he never heard the Parasound's wink.gif
post #2090 of 3327 Old 06-14-2013, 12:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked: 441
Quote:

Man, it sounds amazing. Everything comes together to make one sphere of sound around me. They are handling anything I throw at them with ease...these will probably be the last amps I'll ever need to own. I don't know how they do it either.....They must have a Chief Magic Officer (CMO) on their executive team...

Sweet amps! Job well done ! enjoy the music and movies smile.gif
post #2091 of 3327 Old 06-14-2013, 02:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 60
Quote:

Quick question for all: Does anyone know how to get rid of a ground loop hum? It looks something, somewhere has introduced a GLH and cheater plugs are not an option. I'm trying to avoid re-qiring my 20 amp outlets, as the electricians did not leave much wire slack when they originally ran the circuits and it's literally 2 hours of trial and error to get the wires under the screws just right. Don't get me wrong--I could easily live with this as it's fairly low--but I'd rather not.

Or....could it just be regular amp hum--1700 wpc is bound to cause some humming, as I had low humming with my old Klipsch which were fed 200wpc.....

Exploring my music collection and having a blast doing it!!!

I don't think I"ll ever leave Emotiva....their amps sound so.....amazing.

Is there a cable box in the mix? That can tend to introduce the dreaded 60Hz hum. I was able to minimize my hum by lifting a ground here and there. Interestingly, once I reconfigured to install My Mac C2300, the hum disappeared completely (at least, it's not been heard). Something in the reconfiguration, I don't know what.

post #2092 of 3327 Old 06-14-2013, 04:55 AM
AVS Special Member

They look pretty bad ass Matt. What about heat. Do they get warm? Do you feel any difference in the room temp wise? Just asking. I l know my Brytson amps get pretty warm and in the summer time, if I don't have both room fans going, it can be a bit uncomfortable, But your room is bigger and you are probably not right on top of them so I am sure that helps. I am glad they are bringing your system up a few levels. Looking forward to more thoughts and another video smile.gif.

post #2093 of 3327 Old 06-14-2013, 06:23 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenkzy56 View Post

ahhh yea !!!
those babies look killer Matt !
I am so happy for you that In solidarity, I'm gonna buy an XPA-5 when i get home from Brazil tomorrow !

no really, I am wink.gif

I bid thee thanks, ye mighty master of Blues! You'll love the XPA-5, and having used one with the Integra 80.3, I can promise you that the sound will leave you 100% satisfied. On another note, I'm so jealous of your traveling to Brazil. All my travel consists of one DC building to another :-(
Quote:
Originally Posted by mech27 View Post

Congrats on the upgrades I can only imagine what your theater sounds like to your neighbor's

Thanks Mech! My neighbors and I have an understanding. They occasionally throw events and have very loud music playing; I occasionally play movies at reference (I normally listen at around -7 for movies, or between -10 and -15 for music) and we don't complain to eachother smile.gif
Quote:
Originally Posted by wkingincharge View Post

Those Emotiva's look amazing on those stands man and I bet they sound just as good.

I guess your movies theater days are done since you will have no time while listening to all your music and movies all over again lol!!!

Enjoy !!!!

Thank you sir! I only go to the movies for the major blockbusters (Man of Steel, anyone?) but everything else shall be in the theater!!! I plan to spend the next few weeks re-discovering all my material.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jnnt29 View Post

Holy cr@p! Those XPR1s are gorgeous! My XPA3 has monoblock envy. lol. eek.gif

lololol, that XPA-3 is no slouch though! the XPA series was my first foray into Home Theater, and Emotiva's XPR series continues to make the company proud! They certainly make me proud to own them!
Quote:
Originally Posted by audioguy View Post

What's "need" got to do with it. rolleyes.gif

Seriously, for music, even very loud rock music, that amp/speaker combination will probably never run out of gas. Movies, on the other hand, (as you know) can put serious demands on the low end and it is REAL easy to run out of amp on a full range speaker. Overdrive an amp hard enough and you can really mess with the drivers (as in freeze voice coils).

But since you are talking about eventually buying Seaton F4's (or whatever they are called), that should never be an issue.

Awesome looking system.

Congrats!!

Thanks man--I do agree. Need has nothing to do with it at all. I"m taking it very easy on movies until I get subs in. They perform very well with movies, but the last thing in the world I want to do is spend $500 to ship 300 pounds of speaker back to Legacy for repair. *cringe*
Quote:

Yes indeed. All thing considered, I can't imagine the price difference being equal to the performance difference.
Quote:
Originally Posted by eatlink View Post

yeah,Very nice system and thorough photos. thanks for your sharing 10.gif

Thanks for the kind words and thanks for looking!
Quote:
Originally Posted by audiofan1 View Post

Keep in mind he never heard the Parasound's wink.gif

i've never heard them, but at $6000 more than the Emotivas, I didn't even need to. lol.
Quote:
Originally Posted by audiofan1 View Post

Sweet amps! Job well done ! enjoy the music and movies smile.gif

Gracias.....I plan to enjoy them for years to come!! cool.gif
Quote:
Originally Posted by prepress View Post

Is there a cable box in the mix? That can tend to introduce the dreaded 60Hz hum. I was able to minimize my hum by lifting a ground here and there. Interestingly, once I reconfigured to install My Mac C2300, the hum disappeared completely (at least, it's not been heard). Something in the reconfiguration, I don't know what.

There is a sattellite box in the equipment room? that could be the culprit, eh? Hmmm--I'll need to unplug that to see if the hum goes away. It's definitely equipment based, becasue the hum is coming from the center speaker as well, whose monoblock is currently plugged into a different circuit than the XPR-1's are. I'm going to try removing it from the equation--thanks for the heads up!
Quote:

They look pretty bad ass Matt. What about heat. Do they get warm? Do you feel any difference in the room temp wise? Just asking. I l know my Brytson amps get pretty warm and in the summer time, if I don't have both room fans going, it can be a bit uncomfortable, But your room is bigger and you are probably not right on top of them so I am sure that helps. I am glad they are bringing your system up a few levels. Looking forward to more thoughts and another video smile.gif.

Thanks Mike--they are very cool to the touch. The first 10 watts are class A, but I don't feel any difference in temperature. It switches to class B at 11 watts, and class H after 1000 watts! (I think I got that right.) Another video is definitely on the way!

The Build:
| The System:
| The Video Series:

Social:
|
|
|
|
post #2094 of 3327 Old 06-14-2013, 06:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Thanks Mike--they are very cool to the touch. The first 10 watts are class A, but I don't feel any difference in temperature. It switches to class B at 11 watts, and class H after 1000 watts! (I think I got that right.) Another video is definitely on the way!
Nice. I am not too familiar with class H. I know class A, AB, D, and so on but not H. I think I have heard it mentioned once but that's it. It's great that they don't get warm and that they are efficient amps. Now just sit back and enjoy.

post #2095 of 3327 Old 06-14-2013, 07:02 AM

Quote:

Nice. I am not too familiar with class H. I know class A, AB, D, and so on but not H. I think I have heard it mentioned once but that's it. It's great that they don't get warm and that they are efficient amps. Now just sit back and enjoy.

Soon, we'll have an Emotiva amp that does the whole alphabet. Every time the amp switches to a different class it will hum the alphabet song.. A, B, C, D, E, F,G... back down to A cause only 10 watts is being used..
post #2096 of 3327 Old 06-14-2013, 07:04 AM

Brolic, to make your theater space seem more open, you should get rid of the credenza and get a nice center channel stand.
post #2097 of 3327 Old 06-14-2013, 07:23 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Yeah, I had to read up on Class H as well. It's an extremely efficient technology for very high-watt applications.
Quote:

Soon, we'll have an Emotiva amp that does the whole alphabet. Every time the amp switches to a different class it will hum the alphabet song.. A, B, C, D, E, F,G... back down to A cause only 10 watts is being used..

LOL! Start up sequence could be the alphabet song, with the led blinking a different color for each letter smile.gif
Quote:

Brolic, to make your theater space seem more open, you should get rid of the credenza and get a nice center channel stand.

I actually thought about this. I'd need to find a center channel stand capable of holding the Marquis HD its current height, which is perfect as the tweeter lines up with my eyes when reclined in the theater seat. I actually spend some searching, but couldn't find any that were high enough--and custom stands cost an arm and a leg (and in the case of Sound Anchor, it will cost my firstborn child as well.)

The Build:
| The System:
| The Video Series:

Social:
|
|
|
|
post #2098 of 3327 Old 06-14-2013, 07:54 AM

Quote:

I actually thought about this. I'd need to find a center channel stand capable of holding the Marquis HD its current height, which is perfect as the tweeter lines up with my eyes when reclined in the theater seat. I actually spend some searching, but couldn't find any that were high enough--and custom stands cost an arm and a leg (and in the case of Sound Anchor, it will cost my firstborn child as well.)

Here's a solution for a stand at the right height without costing much: Cinder blocks covered in black velvet.
post #2099 of 3327 Old 06-14-2013, 08:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 1366
Quote:

WHAT DID YOU DO!?!?!

That is a lovely sight

Spinning the rear tire at 150mph while at 3/4 lean angle will put wrinkles in your seat
post #2100 of 3327 Old 06-14-2013, 09:39 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Here's a solution for a stand at the right height without costing much: Cinder blocks covered in black velvet.

That's not a bad idea! Hmmm-I shall investigate!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoff4RFC View Post

WHAT DID YOU DO!?!?!

That is a lovely sight

lol, I didn't to it! I promise...I'm innocent!!! lol

Thanks Geoff! biggrin.gif

The Build:
| The System:
| The Video Series:

Social:
|
|
|
|
Reply What's Your System Configuration

Tags
Emotiva Xpr 1 , Marantz Av8801 , Jvc Dla Rs66 , Cambridge Audio Azur Dacmagic 100 Silver , Oppo Bdp 105 Blu Ray Player , Panamax M5300 Pm 11 Outlet Clean Power Level 4 Black
Gear in this thread - Av8801 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page