BrolicBeast's Living Room Theater - Page 73 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!


Forum Jump: 
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #2161 of 3370 Old 06-21-2013, 08:32 PM
AVS Special Member
 
prepress's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Brooklyn, NY
Posts: 3,437
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Liked: 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by hometheatergeek View Post

Glad I was able to point you in the right direction BB on the lightdims. Now where's my thumbsup. biggrin.gif
BTW I was able to check out your newest vid at home last night. That is one awesome sounding system you have assembled. I was almost going to do a gig in your town this August and was going to resort to begging to come for a visit but plans have changed and the company will be using other techs to cover that gig. If I did have to do it I would have had back to back gigs out of town. I am still doing the first one in Nashville and the one in your area would have been the following week. I'm glad that is not the case but disappointed I can't here the Legacies in person. :sad:  

Yay. The old hometown.

Don't write off the Legacy experience just yet. You never know. Your time may come.

VPI, Grado, SME, Pioneer Elite, Magnum Dynalab, Oppo, DVDO, McIntosh, Mirage, Kimber, Audioquest, Transparent, MIT, Pangea, Wireworld, Shunyata, PS Audio, Furman, Sanus, Conntek
prepress is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2162 of 3370 Old 06-21-2013, 08:46 PM
AVS Special Member
 
prepress's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Brooklyn, NY
Posts: 3,437
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Liked: 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrolicBeast View Post

It's funny you mentioned break-in, because I do believe these are getting better as they are used. I've been running through episodes of Star Trek Voyager on Hulu Plus (any Janeway fans out there? No? Just me? Okayyy...) to get them broken in as well. I also started playing Halo 4 on Legendary, and that game is giving these speakers a workout. I never knew how much detail went into the mixing of a game until playing Halo 4 through these speakers.

Janeway was more formidable, to me, when the hair bun went away.

How far apart are the Focus speakers? Probably no worries over that since there's a center channel, otherwise I'd be concerned about the imaging. What distance does Legacy recommend (this is curiosity, not research...I promise)?

VPI, Grado, SME, Pioneer Elite, Magnum Dynalab, Oppo, DVDO, McIntosh, Mirage, Kimber, Audioquest, Transparent, MIT, Pangea, Wireworld, Shunyata, PS Audio, Furman, Sanus, Conntek
prepress is online now  
post #2163 of 3370 Old 06-22-2013, 08:32 AM
AVS Special Member
 
MIkeDuke's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: eastern PA
Posts: 6,490
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 232 Post(s)
Liked: 105
Prepress is correct about imaging. I would not be too worried about the center speaker though. My concern would be with that huge wooden cabinet in the center of your room. If your speakers are set to far back, and they are really next to the speakers have the cabinet in the middle of them, that will kill your imaging. Trust me I know when I had a huge wooden wall unit with my old 927's pushed way back. Once I moved them up, they were like new speakers. So if I were you, I would experiment with placement to make sure that nothing of massive substance is between your speakers. Trust me, you will thank us in the end.

It ain't easy being green.
My System
MIkeDuke is offline  
post #2164 of 3370 Old 06-22-2013, 09:45 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
BrolicBeast's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Charles County, MD
Posts: 3,644
Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 645 Post(s)
Liked: 607
Quote:
Originally Posted by hometheatergeek View Post

Glad I was able to point you in the right direction BB on the lightdims. Now where's my thumbsup. biggrin.gif
BTW I was able to check out your newest vid at home last night. That is one awesome sounding system you have assembled. I was almost going to do a gig in your town this August and was going to resort to begging to come for a visit but plans have changed and the company will be using other techs to cover that gig. If I did have to do it I would have had back to back gigs out of town. I am still doing the first one in Nashville and the one in your area would have been the following week. I'm glad that is not the case but disappointed I can't here the Legacies in person. :sad:  

LOL thumbs up have been given! lol....Oh man, whenever you do make it to the DC area, let me know. You're more than welcome to swing by!
Quote:
Originally Posted by prepress View Post

Janeway was more formidable, to me, when the hair bun went away.

How far apart are the Focus speakers? Probably no worries over that since there's a center channel, otherwise I'd be concerned about the imaging. What distance does Legacy recommend (this is curiosity, not research...I promise)?

The Legacies are about 11 feet apart--the imaging for stereo recordings currently seems holographic [to me]--I think this is due to the height of the tweeters; however, I am always open to suggestions for improvement. That's actually a good question about Legacy's distance recommendations. I'll need to look into that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MIkeDuke View Post

Prepress is correct about imaging. I would not be too worried about the center speaker though. My concern would be with that huge wooden cabinet in the center of your room. If your speakers are set to far back, and they are really next to the speakers have the cabinet in the middle of them, that will kill your imaging. Trust me I know when I had a huge wooden wall unit with my old 927's pushed way back. Once I moved them up, they were like new speakers. So if I were you, I would experiment with placement to make sure that nothing of massive substance is between your speakers. Trust me, you will thank us in the end.

I remember us discussing this in the past--I've actually been thinking about removing the credenza over the last few days. I had the credenza in the middle of the room as I was running the wires for wide channels, and I really liked the look of the front wall without the Credenza, BUT--getting a center channel stand substantial (and attractive) enough has proven to be a challenge. I may devote a bit more time to finding a stand I can use. Actually, I might contact Legacy and ask if they can build a Black Pearl stand to match the Marquis HD.

Edit: Maybe I can use a Seaton Catalyst Stand--those are quite hefty and quite attractive.
BrolicBeast is online now  
post #2165 of 3370 Old 06-22-2013, 09:56 AM
AVS Special Member
 
hometheatergeek's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Georgia
Posts: 2,357
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 36

LOL I was messing around about the thumbsup but got a good laugh when I saw you had increased my count. During lunch I was reading this month's review of the Legacies in Home Theater Mag. Have you looked at that review yet?


Hometheatergeek

aka AL
----------
My Current System
hometheatergeek is offline  
post #2166 of 3370 Old 06-22-2013, 10:02 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
BrolicBeast's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Charles County, MD
Posts: 3,644
Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 645 Post(s)
Liked: 607
Quote:
Originally Posted by hometheatergeek View Post

LOL I was messing around about the thumbsup but got a good laugh when I saw you had increased my count. During lunch I was reading this month's review of the Legacies in Home Theater Mag. Have you looked at that review yet?

LOL, yeah man--I just joined Audioholics forum, and they have a feature where you can thank a user for a useful post. As you mentioned the thumbs up, I realized....hey, AVS has this too. lol...I had to give you two thumbs up--one for the link to the Light Dums, and another for finding the insane price!!

I haven't received my HT Mag delivery for this month on my iDevices yet. I'll keep an eye out for it though!
BrolicBeast is online now  
post #2167 of 3370 Old 06-22-2013, 10:04 AM
AVS Special Member
 
hometheatergeek's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Georgia
Posts: 2,357
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 36

I've been a member on Audioholics forum for a couple of years now but I only lurk for the most part. You might want to go back to Wabo's thread and read my last post. tongue.gif


Hometheatergeek

aka AL
----------
My Current System
hometheatergeek is offline  
post #2168 of 3370 Old 06-22-2013, 11:10 AM
AVS Special Member
 
MIkeDuke's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: eastern PA
Posts: 6,490
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 232 Post(s)
Liked: 105
We probably did talk about it before(space between the speakers). Since we probably did talk about it in the past, I don't have to re-post everything again. But what the heck. for anybody else in here, and if you want a refresher, here is some more info on my experience with such things.

Way back when I first started to get into audio, I would hang out at this high end audio store. They had plenty of really nice 2ch rooms along with some great HT rooms. I would spend a lot of time in the 2ch rooms. What got me was how the music i.e instruments and voices seemed to just float in the middle of the speakers. It was really neat. Yes there was sound from the speakers but for the most part it was coming from in between the speaker.

When I went home and listened to my speakers, JM Labs 927's, I did not get that same effect. The music was just coming from the left and right speakers independently with nothing in the center. I was bummed. I assumed it was my amps because most of the high end 2ch systems at the store were powered with tube gear. Well, then I started to really pay atention to other setups. I noticed that the higher end systems I saw did not have anything at all between the speakers. That, plus Mark S said that my old wall unit was killing my sound. So one day I pulled my 927's out from being jammed it the corner next to my wall unit so there was nothing in between them. My jaw hit the floor. Out of nowhere I got that great floating center stage. I did not need tube amps, I just needed proper speaker placement. So, I can't tell by your pictures but please make sure that the bulk of the speaker sides are NOT next to that cabinet and that the speakers have some empty space between them.

It ain't easy being green.
My System
MIkeDuke is offline  
post #2169 of 3370 Old 06-22-2013, 11:31 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
BrolicBeast's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Charles County, MD
Posts: 3,644
Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 645 Post(s)
Liked: 607
Quote:
Originally Posted by MIkeDuke View Post

We probably did talk about it before(space between the speakers). Since we probably did talk about it in the past, I don't have to re-post everything again. But what the heck. for anybody else in here, and if you want a refresher, here is some more info on my experience with such things.

Way back when I first started to get into audio, I would hang out at this high end audio store. They had plenty of really nice 2ch rooms along with some great HT rooms. I would spend a lot of time in the 2ch rooms. What got me was how the music i.e instruments and voices seemed to just float in the middle of the speakers. It was really neat. Yes there was sound from the speakers but for the most part it was coming from in between the speaker.

When I went home and listened to my speakers, JM Labs 927's, I did not get that same effect. The music was just coming from the left and right speakers independently with nothing in the center. I was bummed. I assumed it was my amps because most of the high end 2ch systems at the store were powered with tube gear. Well, then I started to really pay atention to other setups. I noticed that the higher end systems I saw did not have anything at all between the speakers. That, plus Mark S said that my old wall unit was killing my sound. So one day I pulled my 927's out from being jammed it the corner next to my wall unit so there was nothing in between them. My jaw hit the floor. Out of nowhere I got that great floating center stage. I did not need tube amps, I just needed proper speaker placement. So, I can't tell by your pictures but please make sure that the bulk of the speaker sides are NOT next to that cabinet and that the speakers have some empty space between them.

Yup...we spoke about Mark's comment on the wall unit back when you were helping me figure out treatments. The credenza is pretty low though....I sawed the feet off so the tall Marquis HD wouldn't obscure the screen. I do get great imaging at the center and i got great imaging with my Klipsches too, which makes me wonder if furniture height plays a factor. The wall unit you had....was it a tall one?

Edit: right now I have about a foot between the rear wall and the speakers and about a foot between the sides of the speakers and
BrolicBeast is online now  
post #2170 of 3370 Old 06-22-2013, 12:01 PM
AVS Special Member
 
MIkeDuke's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: eastern PA
Posts: 6,490
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 232 Post(s)
Liked: 105
Here is what my wall unit looked like before. Now just imagine the speakers pushed all the way back in the right and left corner. Moving the 1027's out to where the 927's were moved tp helped, but getting rid of that wall unit altogether and getting more appropriate racks was an also a major upgrade in sound.
Here is my old wall unit.


As you can see, it wasn't the best room at the time setup wise.

It ain't easy being green.
My System
MIkeDuke is offline  
post #2171 of 3370 Old 06-22-2013, 02:23 PM
AVS Special Member
 
prepress's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Brooklyn, NY
Posts: 3,437
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Liked: 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by MIkeDuke View Post

We probably did talk about it before(space between the speakers). Since we probably did talk about it in the past, I don't have to re-post everything again. But what the heck. for anybody else in here, and if you want a refresher, here is some more info on my experience with such things.

Way back when I first started to get into audio, I would hang out at this high end audio store. They had plenty of really nice 2ch rooms along with some great HT rooms. I would spend a lot of time in the 2ch rooms. What got me was how the music i.e instruments and voices seemed to just float in the middle of the speakers. It was really neat. Yes there was sound from the speakers but for the most part it was coming from in between the speaker.

When I went home and listened to my speakers, JM Labs 927's, I did not get that same effect. The music was just coming from the left and right speakers independently with nothing in the center. I was bummed. I assumed it was my amps because most of the high end 2ch systems at the store were powered with tube gear. Well, then I started to really pay atention to other setups. I noticed that the higher end systems I saw did not have anything at all between the speakers. That, plus Mark S said that my old wall unit was killing my sound. So one day I pulled my 927's out from being jammed it the corner next to my wall unit so there was nothing in between them. My jaw hit the floor. Out of nowhere I got that great floating center stage. I did not need tube amps, I just needed proper speaker placement. So, I can't tell by your pictures but please make sure that the bulk of the speaker sides are NOT next to that cabinet and that the speakers have some empty space between them.

Moving the speakers so that their plane is in front of the TV is one of the rules of placement I learned quite a while back. It made a difference for sure. Too bad I don't have space to put the racks elsewhere. I do get a nice, consistent center image though, and without a center speaker.

VPI, Grado, SME, Pioneer Elite, Magnum Dynalab, Oppo, DVDO, McIntosh, Mirage, Kimber, Audioquest, Transparent, MIT, Pangea, Wireworld, Shunyata, PS Audio, Furman, Sanus, Conntek
prepress is online now  
post #2172 of 3370 Old 06-23-2013, 07:53 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Geoff4RFC's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Just down aways from Stanley
Posts: 3,871
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 106 Post(s)
Liked: 1417
Quote:
Originally Posted by prepress View Post

Moving the speakers so that their plane is in front of the TV is one of the rules of placement I learned quite a while back. It made a difference for sure. Too bad I don't have space to put the racks elsewhere. I do get a nice, consistent center image though, and without a center speaker.

Absolutely on placement! As mikeduke puts it, the "floating sound in the center" is an indicator of proper set up. I love doing 2ch demos and asking listeners where the sound is coming from and they point to the center speaker. Then I tell them to go put their ear up to it and they go all WOW on me cool.gif

Hey, what's up Beast? Just poking into your thread biggrin.gif

Spinning the rear tire at 150mph while at 3/4 lean angle will put wrinkles in your seat


Set up:
Integra 70.4--Oppo 103--LG50"Plasma--Emotiva: XPA-3, XPA-2 x 2--PolkAudio: RTiA9 x 4--CSiA6--FXiA6 x 4--Epik: Empire x 2--XBOX 360--Furez 10awg homemade cables
Geoff4RFC is offline  
post #2173 of 3370 Old 06-24-2013, 02:12 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
BrolicBeast's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Charles County, MD
Posts: 3,644
Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 645 Post(s)
Liked: 607
Quote:
Originally Posted by MIkeDuke View Post

Here is what my wall unit looked like before. Now just imagine the speakers pushed all the way back in the right and left corner. Moving the 1027's out to where the 927's were moved tp helped, but getting rid of that wall unit altogether and getting more appropriate racks was an also a major upgrade in sound.
Here is my old wall unit.


As you can see, it wasn't the best room at the time setup wise.

Ah that wall unit is massive! I can definitely see how that would get in the way of the sound--especially with the speakers pushed all the way back. Good thing it was escorted out of the room and you you're getting the smooth sound of the Focals.
Quote:
Originally Posted by prepress View Post

Moving the speakers so that their plane is in front of the TV is one of the rules of placement I learned quite a while back. It made a difference for sure. Too bad I don't have space to put the racks elsewhere. I do get a nice, consistent center image though, and without a center speaker.

I agree wholeheartedly with the importance of speaker placement in front of a TV. It serves a double purpose too, since it's not generally good for speakers to be very close to a wall (a fact that I learned here).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoff4RFC View Post

Absolutely on placement! As mikeduke puts it, the "floating sound in the center" is an indicator of proper set up. I love doing 2ch demos and asking listeners where the sound is coming from and they point to the center speaker. Then I tell them to go put their ear up to it and they go all WOW on me cool.gif

Hey, what's up Beast? Just poking into your thread biggrin.gif

Yes indeed, I love that too. I've actually done that same demo trick with my last set of speakers. I learned finalizing placement for great imagine, every demo I did involved the "guess where the sound is coming from" question. cool.gif
BrolicBeast is online now  
post #2174 of 3370 Old 06-25-2013, 03:01 PM
AVS Special Member
 
ohyeah32's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: The Land of Enchantment
Posts: 2,675
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrolicBeast View Post

Video: Legacy Focus SE & Marquis HD [First Look]

I'm sorry for my late posting of this, but I just wanted to say congratulations on your Legacy speakers!!! They are beautiful! I'll bet they sound phenomenal!smile.gif And as always, thanks for sharing the way cool videos!wink.gif
ohyeah32 is offline  
post #2175 of 3370 Old 06-25-2013, 04:28 PM
AVS Special Member
 
prepress's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Brooklyn, NY
Posts: 3,437
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Liked: 74
You know, Legacy and McIntosh are a good combi . . . no, I'm not going there.

Besides, a few hours ago it was B&W and McIntosh.

Again, congratulations on the purchase. A long life for them in your home! smile.gif

VPI, Grado, SME, Pioneer Elite, Magnum Dynalab, Oppo, DVDO, McIntosh, Mirage, Kimber, Audioquest, Transparent, MIT, Pangea, Wireworld, Shunyata, PS Audio, Furman, Sanus, Conntek
prepress is online now  
post #2176 of 3370 Old 06-26-2013, 09:56 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
BrolicBeast's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Charles County, MD
Posts: 3,644
Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 645 Post(s)
Liked: 607
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohyeah32 View Post

I'm sorry for my late posting of this, but I just wanted to say congratulations on your Legacy speakers!!! They are beautiful! I'll bet they sound phenomenal!smile.gif And as always, thanks for sharing the way cool videos!wink.gif

Thanks Seth. I appreciate the congrats! Yeah, they do sound amazing--I listen for hours each day and search high and low for new music. I can't wait until the Summer blockbusters come out on Blu Ray!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by prepress View Post

You know, Legacy and McIntosh are a good combi . . . no, I'm not going there.

Besides, a few hours ago it was B&W and McIntosh.

Again, congratulations on the purchase. A long life for them in your home! smile.gif

Thanks Prepress! ...lololo---I was looking quite hard at those 601's to go with the Legacies...I actually almost bought a pair of 501's on Audiogon, but after all much research, the XPR's had to land!
BrolicBeast is online now  
post #2177 of 3370 Old 06-26-2013, 09:57 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
BrolicBeast's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Charles County, MD
Posts: 3,644
Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 645 Post(s)
Liked: 607
Hey All,

I just wrote my first ever product review. Of course, I had to do it on the Legacy Focus SE and Marquis HD knockout front-soundstage.

You can catch it here.
BrolicBeast is online now  
post #2178 of 3370 Old 06-26-2013, 02:55 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
BrolicBeast's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Charles County, MD
Posts: 3,644
Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 645 Post(s)
Liked: 607
SUCCESS!!! The source of the ground-loop has been isolated! It's the right XPR-1 plugged into its dedicated 20 amp circuit. I just got off the phone with Jensen Transformers, and it looks like that circuit on the same panel as my other circuits is causing a ground loop through the XLR cable of the XPR-1. I have a Jensen PI-XX transformer on the way to correct this problem!! biggrin.gif Thanks to all who gav me advice on seeking this out!!!
BrolicBeast is online now  
post #2179 of 3370 Old 06-26-2013, 03:08 PM
AVS Special Member
 
MIkeDuke's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: eastern PA
Posts: 6,490
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 232 Post(s)
Liked: 105
Good stuff. I think you know how much I hate chasing down problems so the fact that you figured yours out is great. As I said in that link, very nice right up of your new speakers.

It ain't easy being green.
My System
MIkeDuke is offline  
post #2180 of 3370 Old 06-26-2013, 04:09 PM
AVS Special Member
 
prepress's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Brooklyn, NY
Posts: 3,437
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Liked: 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrolicBeast View Post

Thanks Prepress! ...lololo---I was looking quite hard at those 601's to go with the Legacies...I actually almost bought a pair of 501's on Audiogon, but after all much research, the XPR's had to land!

It was a bit of momentary madness. The Legacy/Mac combo would be a winner, but I don't need to go there, nor to the B&Ws. Don't have the money or the space for either. The Signature SE would be the practical choice as it's lighter and narrower than my Mirage M-3sis, though deeper. The Signature is also shorter by 5 inches and goes 8Hz deeper in the bass. My one concern would be that, because of their bipolar design the M-3si has fewer room issues and is easier to place than a conventional speaker. I wonder about soundstage issues in here with something else.

Good you found the ground loop culprit. Jensen makes a pretty good hum killer; I had one on my cable box briefly, but though it did the job it took a few channels with it as did another, similar device. I'd think you won't have any more problems with the hum once the Jensen's in place.

VPI, Grado, SME, Pioneer Elite, Magnum Dynalab, Oppo, DVDO, McIntosh, Mirage, Kimber, Audioquest, Transparent, MIT, Pangea, Wireworld, Shunyata, PS Audio, Furman, Sanus, Conntek
prepress is online now  
post #2181 of 3370 Old 06-27-2013, 05:38 AM
AVS Special Member
 
djbluemax1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: MI
Posts: 2,314
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 298
BB,

read your review of the Legacy Audio setup and noted that you have both Emo's XPR-1and XPA-1 amps. I was wondering if you happened to have tried hooking up one Focus SE to the XPR-1 and the other to the XPA-1 to see how they compare? Even though the Focus SE's are rated for 500w@4ohms, I've tripped up the XPA-1's at Reference calibrated for a 11' MLP distance. I'm considering the XPR-1's but was wondering if there are any downsides aside from their size and need for a dedicated 20 amp line each?


Max

P.S. I'll need to monitor my circuits for line sag to see if that's what tripped up the XPA-1's at Reference
djbluemax1 is offline  
post #2182 of 3370 Old 06-27-2013, 07:07 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
BrolicBeast's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Charles County, MD
Posts: 3,644
Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 645 Post(s)
Liked: 607
Quote:
Originally Posted by MIkeDuke View Post

Good stuff. I think you know how much I hate chasing down problems so the fact that you figured yours out is great. As I said in that link, very nice right up of your new speakers.

System problems can be the worst—but I look at it like this. Even a dream-house get problems—it’s impossible to avoid with so many parts working together. The same thing with our gear—there are so many components that must work in tandem; some of the parts are bound to fail at some point. Glad you like the write-up Mike smile.gif

Quote:
Originally Posted by prepress View Post

It was a bit of momentary madness. The Legacy/Mac combo would be a winner, but I don't need to go there, nor to the B&Ws. Don't have the money or the space for either. The Signature SE would be the practical choice as it's lighter and narrower than my Mirage M-3sis, though deeper. The Signature is also shorter by 5 inches and goes 8Hz deeper in the bass. My one concern would be that, because of their bipolar design the M-3si has fewer room issues and is easier to place than a conventional speaker. I wonder about soundstage issues in here with something else.

Good you found the ground loop culprit. Jensen makes a pretty good hum killer; I had one on my cable box briefly, but though it did the job it took a few channels with it as did another, similar device. I'd think you won't have any more problems with the hum once the Jensen's in place.

I could definitely see a pair of Signatures in your room. Have you been to Dennis’ place? I warn you—if you do go, hearing his Sigs will make you want to buy them biggrin.gif I actually have a question about bi-polar design: Bi polar designs rely on room reflections, don’t they? Is that at odds with the notion of minimizing reflections? I’ve always wondered this, but I never realized (or never mentally processed) that your mirages were bi-polar.

Ah, so you’ve used Jensen products before? Whoa—the transformer took channels with it? Wow! Which did you find to be the better transformer: the Jensen, or the other similar device you mentioned?

Quote:
Originally Posted by djbluemax1 View Post

BB,

read your review of the Legacy Audio setup and noted that you have both Emo's XPR-1and XPA-1 amps. I was wondering if you happened to have tried hooking up one Focus SE to the XPR-1 and the other to the XPA-1 to see how they compare? Even though the Focus SE's are rated for 500w@4ohms, I've tripped up the XPA-1's at Reference calibrated for a 11' MLP distance. I'm considering the XPR-1's but was wondering if there are any downsides aside from their size and need for a dedicated 20 amp line each?


Max

P.S. I'll need to monitor my circuits for line sag to see if that's what tripped up the XPA-1's at Reference

Hi Max,

I wanted to do that, but haven’t been able to—primarily due to the differences in wiring. My XPR-1’s have long XLR runs to the front of the room, with short speaker cable runs. The XPA-1 is the opposite: short XLR run in the equipment room, but with a long speaker cable run.

It’s actually funny that you mentioned this. I initially avoided purchasing a third XPR-1 because I did not want to introduce hum into my system. Well, since I got hum anyway and I’ve found the solution for it (Jensen Transformer PI-XX), I now have a third XPR-1 on the way smile.gif I’m still within the 30 days for my XPA-1, so I’m now contemplating whether to return the XPA-1, or repurpose it to a surround channel and add another one. Decision Decisions.

Ah, line-sag. That could have been what caused the trip, as I can’t really envision any speaker tripping the XPA unless it’s run full range at or above reference. Do you run full range?
BrolicBeast is online now  
post #2183 of 3370 Old 06-27-2013, 08:11 AM
AVS Special Member
 
hometheatergeek's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Georgia
Posts: 2,357
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 36

Well look who's on the front page of AVS. :bow: :thumbsup:


Hometheatergeek

aka AL
----------
My Current System
hometheatergeek is offline  
post #2184 of 3370 Old 06-27-2013, 08:55 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
BrolicBeast's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Charles County, MD
Posts: 3,644
Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 645 Post(s)
Liked: 607
Quote:
Originally Posted by hometheatergeek View Post

Well look who's on the front page of AVS. :bow: :thumbsup:

LOL--thank ye, kind sir!
BrolicBeast is online now  
post #2185 of 3370 Old 06-27-2013, 09:30 AM
Senior Member
 
jenkzy56's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Brooklyn, NY
Posts: 251
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Great review Matt !
I have to hear these speakers and soon.

jenkzy56 is offline  
post #2186 of 3370 Old 06-27-2013, 01:41 PM
AVS Special Member
 
prepress's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Brooklyn, NY
Posts: 3,437
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Liked: 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrolicBeast View Post

I could definitely see a pair of Signatures in your room. Have you been to Dennis’ place? I warn you—if you do go, hearing his Sigs will make you want to buy them biggrin.gif I actually have a question about bi-polar design: Bi polar designs rely on room reflections, don’t they? Is that at odds with the notion of minimizing reflections? I’ve always wondered this, but I never realized (or never mentally processed) that your mirages were bi-polar.

Ah, so you’ve used Jensen products before? Whoa—the transformer took channels with it? Wow! Which did you find to be the better transformer: the Jensen, or the other similar device you mentioned?

I had the Jensen Iso-Max, which is designed specifically for hum from cable boxes and such, my Mondial Magic Brick, and the Furman SPR on duty at various points, and I lost a few channels—generally, the same ones on each (MSG HD being most obvious, even though I don't watch much), so those stations operated at a frequency within the units' filtering. The SPR didn't get rid of the hum, as I recall. Neither did the Furman Elite. But it settled in and the channels came along shortly thereafter. Maybe I wasn't patient with the SPR. Back before the system upgraded and I didn't have HDTV, I had no problems with missing channels or hum using the Mondial, which also filters the signal. It protected the TV during a nasty storm, in fact.

As for my Mirages, they have drivers front and back, but in phase, unlike dipoles. Because the room has so much clutter, none of the reflective surfaces are clean, so I'm probably not getting everything the Mirages can do. In the store when I first auditioned them, holographic would be a conservative word for what they did. Instruments were suspended in space, the whole bit. They have a tall image as well, great since my TV is well off the floor. I still get that but at a lesser level because of the room. They probably do like reflective surfaces (side/rear), but sound good in most environments. I imagine my soundstage would be deeper in a less crowded room or firing down the length of it (mine are on the long wall). For the heck of it...
http://www.stereophile.com/floorloudspeakers/1192mirage/

Never been to Dennis' place. The Signature SEs might be within reach, which makes them dangerous. Your Focus SEs go even deeper (18Hz, I believe, vs. 22Hz), so no sub really needed either way. I like that. Unfortunately, that means the Signature SEs will be on my radar for a bit...

VPI, Grado, SME, Pioneer Elite, Magnum Dynalab, Oppo, DVDO, McIntosh, Mirage, Kimber, Audioquest, Transparent, MIT, Pangea, Wireworld, Shunyata, PS Audio, Furman, Sanus, Conntek
prepress is online now  
post #2187 of 3370 Old 06-27-2013, 04:51 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Geoff4RFC's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Just down aways from Stanley
Posts: 3,871
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 106 Post(s)
Liked: 1417
Just read your review. You express yourself very well. Now I want to go buy a pair of XPR's cool.gif

Spinning the rear tire at 150mph while at 3/4 lean angle will put wrinkles in your seat


Set up:
Integra 70.4--Oppo 103--LG50"Plasma--Emotiva: XPA-3, XPA-2 x 2--PolkAudio: RTiA9 x 4--CSiA6--FXiA6 x 4--Epik: Empire x 2--XBOX 360--Furez 10awg homemade cables
Geoff4RFC is offline  
post #2188 of 3370 Old 06-27-2013, 11:45 PM
AVS Special Member
 
djbluemax1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: MI
Posts: 2,314
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 298
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrolicBeast View Post

Hi Max,

I wanted to do that, but haven’t been able to—primarily due to the differences in wiring. My XPR-1’s have long XLR runs to the front of the room, with short speaker cable runs. The XPA-1 is the opposite: short XLR run in the equipment room, but with a long speaker cable run.

It’s actually funny that you mentioned this. I initially avoided purchasing a third XPR-1 because I did not want to introduce hum into my system. Well, since I got hum anyway and I’ve found the solution for it (Jensen Transformer PI-XX), I now have a third XPR-1 on the way smile.gif I’m still within the 30 days for my XPA-1, so I’m now contemplating whether to return the XPA-1, or repurpose it to a surround channel and add another one. Decision Decisions.

Ah, line-sag. That could have been what caused the trip, as I can’t really envision any speaker tripping the XPA unless it’s run full range at or above reference. Do you run full range?
At the time, I was running a 40Hz crossover. Had both XPA-1's for the L&R on one 15A circuit, the Submersive HP's on their own circuits and the AVR, display and BDP on one circuit.


Max
djbluemax1 is offline  
post #2189 of 3370 Old 06-28-2013, 05:02 AM
AVS Special Member
 
popalock's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Doha, Qatar
Posts: 4,582
Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 995 Post(s)
Liked: 1363
Send a message via Skype™ to popalock
Just read your review man.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrolicBeast View Post

The Legacy Focus SE has two of them per speaker and the sound that emanates from these tweeters in tandem can only be described as pouring a glass of liquid silk into a bowl made of marble. Smooth.

I don't have any marble bowls, but I poured some silk into one of my ceramic bowls this morning just to try it out. Pretty smooth indeed.

J/k. biggrin.gif

I wanted to repost a chart I found very useful in helping me put subjective review terms, such as warmth, fullness, airiness, etc..., into context. I can't verify/validate the accuracy of this chart (not sure if anyone can?), but it helped me with perspective and I thought it was a great reference in general.
Quote:


If you use the link then the chart is interactive and gives you some additional information for instruments and frequency spectrum ranges.
http://www.independentrecording.net/irn/resources/freqchart/main_display.htm

Alas, there are still some undefined review terms that escape me (silky, creamy, decadent, etc...), but I guess that is simply ones way of describing their emotional response elicited from what they are hearing. That, in and of itself, is the beauty of a subjective review. One mans silk may be another mans cream...

wink.gif

Original original post is here in case you are interested, but the link itself will give you more detail if anything isn't clear at first glance.
popalock is offline  
post #2190 of 3370 Old 06-28-2013, 05:40 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
BrolicBeast's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Charles County, MD
Posts: 3,644
Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 645 Post(s)
Liked: 607
Quote:
Originally Posted by jenkzy56 View Post

Great review Matt !
I have to hear these speakers and soon.

Thanks Kevin--you're welcome to swing by the next time you're in the area bro!
Quote:
Originally Posted by prepress View Post

I had the Jensen Iso-Max, which is designed specifically for hum from cable boxes and such, my Mondial Magic Brick, and the Furman SPR on duty at various points, and I lost a few channels—generally, the same ones on each (MSG HD being most obvious, even though I don't watch much), so those stations operated at a frequency within the units' filtering. The SPR didn't get rid of the hum, as I recall. Neither did the Furman Elite. But it settled in and the channels came along shortly thereafter. Maybe I wasn't patient with the SPR. Back before the system upgraded and I didn't have HDTV, I had no problems with missing channels or hum using the Mondial, which also filters the signal. It protected the TV during a nasty storm, in fact.

As for my Mirages, they have drivers front and back, but in phase, unlike dipoles. Because the room has so much clutter, none of the reflective surfaces are clean, so I'm probably not getting everything the Mirages can do. In the store when I first auditioned them, holographic would be a conservative word for what they did. Instruments were suspended in space, the whole bit. They have a tall image as well, great since my TV is well off the floor. I still get that but at a lesser level because of the room. They probably do like reflective surfaces (side/rear), but sound good in most environments. I imagine my soundstage would be deeper in a less crowded room or firing down the length of it (mine are on the long wall). For the heck of it...
http://www.stereophile.com/floorloudspeakers/1192mirage/

Never been to Dennis' place. The Signature SEs might be within reach, which makes them dangerous. Your Focus SEs go even deeper (18Hz, I believe, vs. 22Hz), so no sub really needed either way. I like that. Unfortunately, that means the Signature SEs will be on my radar for a bit...

Ah, what if the objects of clutter act as diffusors? That would be a surprise benefit! I don't know how you do it man--I probably would have "ebay"ed and "goodwill"ed all the clutter if it meant getting better sound. But, then again, the clutter is probably all important stuff though--as you clearly take your audio very seriously. I always wondered if there were reviews for your Mirages, but never searched the model number. It looks like they sound great. Have you heard any of their later, omni-directional speakers? If so, how would you compare the two technologies?

Man, that 18Hz Focus spec is conservative...I think it's perhaps 18Hz before significant rolloff, because when I play material that I know has bass below 18Hz, I still get that infrasonic "pressure" feeling!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoff4RFC View Post

Just read your review. You express yourself very well. Now I want to go buy a pair of XPR's cool.gif

Thanks Geoff--writing has always been a passion of mine, and A/V is a passion that we all share. I figured: "why not mesh the two and write about A/V?" You should buy the XPR-1 pair! You shan't be sorry!
Quote:
Originally Posted by djbluemax1 View Post

At the time, I was running a 40Hz crossover. Had both XPA-1's for the L&R on one 15A circuit, the Submersive HP's on their own circuits and the AVR, display and BDP on one circuit.


Max

Ah, a 40Hz crossover and still clipped the XPA-1? I'm pretty surprised. Perhaps one circuit can't handle two XPA-1's? (we are talking about 2000w here). Just out of curiosity, how does one check for line sag? I hope I never need to, but in case I do, I'd love to know how to go about it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by popalock View Post

Just read your review man.
I don't have any marble bowls, but I poured some silk into one of my ceramic bowls this morning just to try it out. Pretty smooth indeed.

J/k. biggrin.gif

I wanted to repost a chart I found very useful in helping me put subjective review terms, such as warmth, fullness, airiness, etc..., into context. I can't verify/validate the accuracy of this chart (not sure if anyone can?), but it helped me with perspective and I thought it was a great reference in general.
Alas, there are still some undefined review terms that escape me (silky, creamy, decadent, etc...), but I guess that is simply ones way of describing their emotional response elicited from what they are hearing. That, in and of itself, is the beauty of a subjective review. One mans silk may be another mans cream...

wink.gif

Original original post is here in case you are interested, but the link itself will give you more detail if anything isn't clear at first glance.

LOL, ah Silk Milk! As a vegetarian who does not drink milk, I am very familiar with Silk products (they make a great yogurt as well!) I love that chart....it's awesome how the terms are correlated with their places in the frequency range. Yeah I definitely think there is a beauty in the subjectivity of reviews. The reviewer lets the "feeling" create the adjective which may or may not make sense to others. Thanks again for the chart--I'm going to check out the source link later today. Has your bass cracked your foundation yet? biggrin.gif
BrolicBeast is online now  
Reply What's Your System Configuration

Tags
Emotiva Xpr 1 , Marantz Av8801 , Jvc Dla Rs66 , Cambridge Audio Azur Dacmagic 100 Silver , Oppo Bdp 105 Blu Ray Player , Panamax M5300 Pm 11 Outlet Clean Power Level 4 Black
Gear in this thread

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off