BrolicBeast's Living Room Theater - Page 76 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #2251 of 3302 Old 07-12-2013, 10:35 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Matt, when I said to think about a seperate 2-channel Music Listening room, it came from my experience in my "multi-purpose home theater/listening room". While seperate rooms are not absolutely NECESSARY, I am finding that the optimization of home theater vs 2 channel listening IDEALLY requires different approaches and different equipment. That is to say that I find it better and easier to run two seperate systems for this sort of thing.

Since the Wife-That-May Be (WTMB) has limited you to control of the "Subterranean Realm" (basement), I would look for (or better - build) a house that has a large enough basement to allow both a theater AND a seperate 2-channel room. ...Just my advice after travelling down the same path. :-) I certainly wish I had a 2-channel room to put the Whisper XDs in right now, with their own amps, preamp, and a high-end DAC. I could easily run a line from the media server in the theater room to feed the 2-channel DAC. And, I could optimize the acoustics of each room for the best results.

Heck, I should start thinking about an addition to my own house... :-)

Fine Music, Movies, Wine, and Friends - A Life Well Lived!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2252 of 3302 Old 07-12-2013, 11:51 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 95 Post(s)
Liked: 284
Quote:
Originally Posted by prepress View Post

Yours is one of the more intriguing system threads and with great equipment, so those videos will be worth watching.

By the way, on another forum I started a "what if" thread regarding preamps, and look how that turned out two years later. "What ifs" can be fun, but potentially expensive too. The one room is probably best, and the resources not spent on the second room can be put to good use in the theater. You may even have something left over in the bargain!

Thanks man--i'd love to check out that thread.  Could you shoot me the link por favor (here or PM--either one works!)?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenkzy56 View Post

I'm enjoying this aspect of the discussion as I am going through the equipping two separate rooms at the same time scenario.
I am sure if I focused on just one, my dreams of Cat 12s and multiple SubMersives would be realized by now.
Trying to find a balance has drawn the process out longer than I ever would have imagined.
My fear also, is that both setups suffer as a result of compromises made in each space.
The payoff of course is I get to Obsess twice as much eek.gif

Matt I eagerly await your web series, I know there will be lots of groovy ideas
to steal, ahem "be inspired by"

Ciao from Montreux Switzerland !

Up until a couple months ago, I had two systems--and It can definitely be a struggle keeping both of them peoperly equipped.  I was going to get a 65" tv for the room--but I said--that $ could be going to the main theater.....and it always kept me at bay.  Most of the gear in there was gear that formerly powered the main theater before the last couple upgrade waves.  Starting a 2nd room from scratch is difficult though--but...if planned right.....

Hey man, I'm in the planning stages of the web series, but I have a lot of ideas floating around in my head for the series! Enjoy some Swiss cheeze bro!!!!!  I'm sure that the smooth blues music is causing many baby conceptions once the audience members leave over there across the pond.  cool.gif

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMark1 View Post

Matt, when I said to think about a seperate 2-channel Music Listening room, it came from my experience in my "multi-purpose home theater/listening room". While seperate rooms are not absolutely NECESSARY, I am finding that the optimization of home theater vs 2 channel listening IDEALLY requires different approaches and different equipment. That is to say that I find it better and easier to run two seperate systems for this sort of thing.

Since the Wife-That-May Be (WTMB) has limited you to control of the "Subterranean Realm" (basement), I would look for (or better - build) a house that has a large enough basement to allow both a theater AND a seperate 2-channel room. ...Just my advice after travelling down the same path. :-) I certainly wish I had a 2-channel room to put the Whisper XDs in right now, with their own amps, preamp, and a high-end DAC. I could easily run a line from the media server in the theater room to feed the 2-channel DAC. And, I could optimize the acoustics of each room for the best results.

Heck, I should start thinking about an addition to my own house... :-)

Ah, if the theater space is large enough, I could indeed slap a sturdy wall or two toward the back and have a dedicated listening room.  Hmmm....my mind is doing somersaults with ideas now.  I'd love a listening room the size of my current room, but I want a theater that's around twice the size.  If I can find a basement with enough open floorspace, I might be able to go this route after all.  

Ah, the Whisper XD's.....I've got to come up and listen to those behemoths one of these days.  I had an audiophile buddy of mine swing by last night to demo the Focus SE/Marquis HD combo, and after playing a couple of tracks he was familiar with, he said that the Focus SE's moved him more than the KEF Muons ($300k/pr) he heard at one of the recent audio shows.  Above the R&D and technical innovations in a speaker, is its ability to move the listener.  With the Focuses moving me on a daily basis, I can only imagine what the Whispers are capable of.  

post #2253 of 3302 Old 07-12-2013, 12:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 51
Speaking of speakers that move you, I may be taking an 8 hour drive (!) to check out some Aerial 7t's. I have read some reviews and am anxious to hear them. If all goes right, my suv will weigh a few hundred extra pounds on the way home.

post #2254 of 3302 Old 07-12-2013, 12:59 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by g_bartman View Post

Speaking of speakers that move you, I may be taking an 8 hour drive (!) to check out some Aerial 7t's. I have read some reviews and am anxious to hear them. If all goes right, my suv will weigh a few hundred extra pounds on the way home.

Nice!  they are supposed to be great speakers.  I've seen them in person and they are small speakers (If my memory serves me correctly.)  As long as your LP isn't uber high, they should provide a mighty fine experience!  Come to think of it, they are the definition of spousal compromise: they are small and gorgeous to look at (wife happy? check!); and, according to reviews I've read, they sound remarkable (G-Bartman happy? check!) Actually, I believe they are Class A on Stereophile's Recommended Components list. I remember when the 7T's were first released.  Connotations of "extreme performance" and "overachiever" come to mind. 

post #2255 of 3302 Old 07-12-2013, 02:11 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Wrote this last week, but forgot to post it here: Emotiva XPR-1 Monoblock Amplifier Review .  

I realize that I absolutely love writing these.

post #2256 of 3302 Old 07-12-2013, 03:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrolicBeast View Post

Nice!  they are supposed to be great speakers.  I've seen them in person and they are small speakers (If my memory serves me correctly.)  As long as your LP isn't uber high, they should provide a mighty fine experience!  Come to think of it, they are the definition of spousal compromise: they are small and gorgeous to look at (wife happy? check!); and, according to reviews I've read, they sound remarkable (G-Bartman happy? check!) Actually, I believe they are Class A on Stereophile's Recommended Components list. I remember when the 7T's were first released.  Connotations of "extreme performance" and "overachiever" come to mind. 

Fortunately, my system is in the basement which is my territory so no waf for me smile.gif. I don't think the 6' Carvers I use now would fly in the living room. She is cool with my av obsession though, seen more pieces of equipment in and out then she can remember. One reviewer compared the 7t's favorably to the $20k Revels so hopefully the 16 hours on the road will be worth it .I believe they are about 42" high or so, 3 ways with 4 drivers. I heard the Legacy Focus an Axpona, very sweet.

post #2257 of 3302 Old 07-12-2013, 03:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked: 102
Two systems/rooms versus one. [Home Theater and 2 Channel Music)

I have had both and have decided that one really is better than two UNDER THE ASSUMPTION that you don't have unlimited funds. If you have x amount of money to invest in this addiction (or hobby) then, for a two room solution, each room is by definition a compromise since you are dividng your funds into two sets of room treatment, and amps and pre-amps and speakers and source material and cables and ....

Even if your logic for 2 rooms is that you are using older equipment to furnish one of the rooms, that equipment could be sold and the money used to optimize 1 room.

The trick to make one room work is to find a competent room designer who will take into consideration that it is a dual purpose room (you can tell him/her what your priority is). Will that room then be a compromise? Yes. Will the compromise exceed the compromise of dividing x amount of money between 2 rooms? Not in my experience. In fact, not even close.

Just my opinion based upon my experience.
craig john likes this.
post #2258 of 3302 Old 07-12-2013, 05:27 PM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 283
Quote:
Originally Posted by audioguy View Post

I have had both and have decided that one really is better than two UNDER THE ASSUMPTION that you don't have unlimited funds. If you have x amount of money to invest in this addiction (or hobby) then, for a two room solution, each room is by definition a compromise since you are dividng your funds into two sets of room treatment, and amps and pre-amps and speakers and source material and cables and ....

Even if your logic for 2 rooms is that you are using older equipment to furnish one of the rooms, that equipment could be sold and the money used to optimize 1 room.

The trick to make one room work is to find a competent room designer who will take into consideration that it is a dual purpose room (you can tell him/her what your priority is). Will that room then be a compromise? Yes. Will the compromise exceed the compromise of dividing x amount of money between 2 rooms? Not in my experience. In fact, not even close.

I was thinking essentially the same thing, and I was trying to figure out how to post it succinctly. Thanks for doing it for me Chuck!!! Although there may be some priority differences in how to acoustically treat a multi-channel room vs. a 2-channel room, the bottom line is that a "good" room will sound good for either.

2-Channel "stereo" is a very SOLITARY listening experience. There is only ONE listening position that is ideal for optimal stereo imaging. That position will be determined by the speaker placement vs. the LP, and by the speaker toe-in. The central image will only work in the one central listening position, and it will work best in only ONE on-axis LP. It may work in positions in front of, and in back of, that LP, but those positions will be outside the optimal on-axis LP. There are NO LP's to the left or right of the primary LP that will provide the proper imaging.

The bottom line is that it is a, (relatively), simple matter to optimize the sound for one central LP, whether that sound is a 2-channel system or an MC system. It is FAR more complex to optimize a multi-channel system for GREAT sound in all the seats in a multi-seat listening AREA!

I have been without my multi-channel amp for a few weeks, (due to an amp issue), and I have been listening to my system in 2-channel mode for both music and movies. It sounds GREAT as long as I keep my head in the "vice" of the primary listening position... left or right, front or back of that... mmmmm, not so much. It still sounds good, but the imaging and soundstage completely disappear.

Craig

Lombardi said it:
Perfection is not attainable, but if we chase perfection we can catch excellence."

My System

post #2259 of 3302 Old 07-12-2013, 08:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked: 66
In my case, I think for once my small room is an asset. For two channel listening, I think my room sounds really good. There is one main seat(mine) and I get a great sense of solid sound stage from it. Music seems to come from the center channel and on one cd, I could have sworn the sound was coming from behind me. I also think my room sounds good for HT and MC music. Of course I think that but people I have over never really complained that much either. Craig can comment on my system for 2ch vs multi-channel and when you come up Matt, I would really be interested in your thoughts as well. We can do many tests as long as you have a few hours to kill.

I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass...and I'm all out of bubblegum .
My System

post #2260 of 3302 Old 07-13-2013, 03:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 47
PM sent.

I read your Emotiva review. Nice job. The XPA-1s can be driven from a regular wall outlet, but these new XPR-1 monsters need dedicated lines, so in my circumstance the XPRs wouldn't work. But I'm pretty sure I could live with the XPAs. And I do like the look. The XPR almost makes the XPA look small.

This will not be a mere man-cave when complete; it will be a men-cave.
post #2261 of 3302 Old 07-13-2013, 06:19 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by g_bartman View Post

Fortunately, my system is in the basement which is my territory so no waf for me smile.gif. I don't think the 6' Carvers I use now would fly in the living room. She is cool with my av obsession though, seen more pieces of equipment in and out then she can remember. One reviewer compared the 7t's favorably to the $20k Revels so hopefully the 16 hours on the road will be worth it .I believe they are about 42" high or so, 3 ways with 4 drivers. I heard the Legacy Focus an Axpona, very sweet.

LOL, something tells me 6' Carvers might result in an attempt on your life by the wife! lol....oh they're 42" tall?  That's more than reasonable--I don't know why I remember them being smaller.  That height should definitely work for pretty much any listening position.  When are you taking your 8-hour trek to make your final decision?

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioguy View Post

I appreciate this insight, and I do indeed have limited funds.  Every red cent spent on the second room could go into bettering the first. My old gear is too old for anybody to buy (I've tried) but it's not good enough to put into a dedicated room, so that's not even an option. I do think I'm going to stick with the one room, and making it darn great across the board!

Quote:
Originally Posted by craig john View Post

I was thinking essentially the same thing, and I was trying to figure out how to post it succinctly. Thanks for doing it for me Chuck!!! Although there may be some priority differences in how to acoustically treat a multi-channel room vs. a 2-channel room, the bottom line is that a "good" room will sound good for either.

2-Channel "stereo" is a very SOLITARY listening experience. There is only ONE listening position that is ideal for optimal stereo imaging. That position will be determined by the speaker placement vs. the LP, and by the speaker toe-in. The central image will only work in the one central listening position, and it will work best in only ONE on-axis LP. It may work in positions in front of, and in back of, that LP, but those positions will be outside the optimal on-axis LP. There are NO LP's to the left or right of the primary LP that will provide the proper imaging.

The bottom line is that it is a, (relatively), simple matter to optimize the sound for one central LP, whether that sound is a 2-channel system or an MC system. It is FAR more complex to optimize a multi-channel system for GREAT sound in all the seats in a multi-seat listening AREA!

I have been without my multi-channel amp for a few weeks, (due to an amp issue), and I have been listening to my system in 2-channel mode for both music and movies. It sounds GREAT as long as I keep my head in the "vice" of the primary listening position... left or right, front or back of that... mmmmm, not so much. It still sounds good, but the imaging and soundstage completely disappear.

Craig

I've always wondered about the optimization of a room for multiple LP's.  I tried the Audyssey setup a while back that was supposed to improve the sound across multiple LP's, but the sound at the main LP fell flat.  When I re-did it, focusing on the main LP, the sound got great again.  (I'll also add that I was very grumpy after this, because I absolutely hate running Audyssey once--let alone twice).  For larger rooms, are there techniques for optimizing a room for a wider LP area (i.e. decrease toe-in, and if so--by how much)?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MIkeDuke View Post

In my case, I think for once my small room is an asset. For two channel listening, I think my room sounds really good. There is one main seat(mine) and I get a great sense of solid sound stage from it. Music seems to come from the center channel and on one cd, I could have sworn the sound was coming from behind me. I also think my room sounds good for HT and MC music. Of course I think that but people I have over never really complained that much either. Craig can comment on my system for 2ch vs multi-channel and when you come up Matt, I would really be interested in your thoughts as well. We can do many tests as long as you have a few hours to kill.

Hey Mike, oh yeah we can definitely go through a battery of tests....when music seems to come from the center channel, it means you have some great imaging going on there! I really look forward to checking that room out!

Quote:

PM sent.

I read your Emotiva review. Nice job. The XPA-1s can be driven from a regular wall outlet, but these new XPR-1 monsters need dedicated lines, so in my circumstance the XPRs wouldn't work. But I'm pretty sure I could live with the XPAs. And I do like the look. The XPR almost makes the XPA look small.

This will not be a mere man-cave when complete; it will be a men-cave.

Thanks Prepress smile.gif  Yeah, I have the XPA-1 plugged into a wall outlet in my equipment room, but never could I do that with the XPR-1.  I actually had the XPA and an 2nd XPR sitting side-by-side before placing them in their final resting places...the XPA-1 looked like a teenager next to the XPR-1.  I love them both though and the XPA is still a beast of an amp, letting me really crank it up without so much as an inkling that the center channel is straining. lol @THE MEN CAVE!!!  HERE HERE! *Sips glass of Martinelli's*

post #2262 of 3302 Old 07-13-2013, 06:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Never had Martinelli's, but the filtered water I just had was good. biggrin.gif

Also mentioned in the PM, I really identified with the unboxing of the XPRs. That's because my MC501s are only slightly lighter at 92 pounds (even though they're smaller than your XPRs), and when last I moved them it was more of an effort than before. If you have to move those XPRs again, be sure your back is well-rested. Mine barked for two days after my reconfig was complete.

"Looked like a teenager"! That's funny. The XPA-1 is also about 25 pounds lighter. It's clear the XPA-1 needs to eat more. smile.gif
post #2263 of 3302 Old 07-13-2013, 12:29 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Never had Martinelli's, but the filtered water I just had was good. biggrin.gif

Also mentioned in the PM, I really identified with the unboxing of the XPRs. That's because my MC501s are only slightly lighter at 92 pounds (even though they're smaller than your XPRs), and when last I moved them it was more of an effort than before. If you have to move those XPRs again, be sure your back is well-rested. Mine barked for two days after my reconfig was complete.

"Looked like a teenager"! That's funny. The XPA-1 is also about 25 pounds lighter. It's clear the XPA-1 needs to eat more. smile.gif

Lol...Martinelli's is sparkling cider. I don't drink alcoholic beverages, so Martinelli's is my wine substitute. I'm sure your 501's were quite a chore to install...I'm convinced that monoblocks were invented by Chiropractors to increase cash flow.
post #2264 of 3302 Old 07-13-2013, 12:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Lol...Martinelli's is sparkling cider. I don't drink alcoholic beverages, so Martinelli's is my wine substitute. I'm sure your 501's were quite a chore to install...I'm convinced that monoblocks were invented by Chiropractors to increase cash flow.

And front-heavy, due to the Autoformers (CRT TVs and displays are like that as well). The XPRs seem to have their weight distribution more balanced across the chassis; that's how it looks. It's less of a surprise when you pick it up that way.

I've seen Martinelli's at the store but never bothered to try it. Maybe I will now.

Anyway, is there any kind of time line for the next wave of acquisitions? There are more Emotivas and Legacies on tap and the rest of us will be awaiting the news. However, your wallet probably needs to recover a bit first so no need to rush.
post #2265 of 3302 Old 07-13-2013, 04:59 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

And front-heavy, due to the Autoformers (CRT TVs and displays are like that as well). The XPRs seem to have their weight distribution more balanced across the chassis; that's how it looks. It's less of a surprise when you pick it up that way.

I've seen Martinelli's at the store but never bothered to try it. Maybe I will now.

Anyway, is there any kind of time line for the next wave of acquisitions? There are more Emotivas and Legacies on tap and the rest of us will be awaiting the news. However, your wallet probably needs to recover a bit first so no need to rush.

But alas, the next wave of acquisitions are a lonnng way off.  I've got a lot of things going on over the next 6 months and, except for an upgrade to my surrounds, I shan't be doing much purchasing at all.  My third XPR-1 still sits in the box it shipped in...I think I'm going to just shelf it until after the movie.  Not only do I have no viable place to put it--I'm also not sure it's a good idea to run another 20 Amp line in a room I won't be in a year from now.  It's good to have it though--so I'm only two amps away from a complete 5-monoblock setup.

Thanks for the PM, BTW--I'm going to register and check that thread out!!!

post #2266 of 3302 Old 07-13-2013, 05:53 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Brolic I read the XPR -1 write up you did and it was very good and it shows amps are really Emotiva's bread and butter so much so they have a Gen 2 XPA's out already. My current 5 speakers are great but don't even come close to the power needs yours do but I am still very happy with my XPA and UPA combo pushing them. Like Mrs Brolic and yourself my better half and I are currently doing the house upgrade over the next month or so no more purchases for me until I am in the new cave but given my new space is bigger I am bit torn between a very nice 65 inch Panny Plasma but then I look at your screen and projector and wonder if I should go that route and hopefully I don't break my piggy bank before my speaker upgrades start first of the year lol!!!
post #2267 of 3302 Old 07-13-2013, 06:16 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked: 181
Hey Matt
How's it been going? I just had a look at your photos again I love that type of setup where the Monoblocks sit next to the Speakers. Are you still going to venture into wides and heights?

Frank

post #2268 of 3302 Old 07-14-2013, 02:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

But alas, the next wave of acquisitions are a lonnng way off.  I've got a lot of things going on over the next 6 months and, except for an upgrade to my surrounds, I shan't be doing much purchasing at all.  My third XPR-1 still sits in the box it shipped in...I think I'm going to just shelf it until after the movie.  Not only do I have no viable place to put it--I'm also not sure it's a good idea to run another 20 Amp line in a room I won't be in a year from now.  It's good to have it though--so I'm only two amps away from a complete 5-monoblock setup.

Thanks for the PM, BTW--I'm going to register and check that thread out!!!

This makes sense to me. I applaud the non-move! Here's hoping the boxed XPR won't be in the way, though. Is there any thought to unboxing it to make sure it works? It should still be under warranty by the time you move—unless that takes more than 5 years!
post #2269 of 3302 Old 07-14-2013, 09:12 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wkingincharge View Post

Brolic I read the XPR -1 write up you did and it was very good and it shows amps are really Emotiva's bread and butter so much so they have a Gen 2 XPA's out already. My current 5 speakers are great but don't even come close to the power needs yours do but I am still very happy with my XPA and UPA combo pushing them. Like Mrs Brolic and yourself my better half and I are currently doing the house upgrade over the next month or so no more purchases for me until I am in the new cave but given my new space is bigger I am bit torn between a very nice 65 inch Panny Plasma but then I look at your screen and projector and wonder if I should go that route and hopefully I don't break my piggy bank before my speaker upgrades start first of the year lol!!!

Bro, go with projection!!!  You can get the light-cannon BenQ projector, an Elite Screens 100" inch screen, an Oppo BDP-103, and a harmony remote all for LESS than the price of a new V-Series 65 Inch Panasonic.  Glad you like the review man....Emotiva really is an amplifier-manufacturer powerhouse.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franin View Post

Hey Matt
How's it been going? I just had a look at your photos again I love that type of setup where the Monoblocks sit next to the Speakers. Are you still going to venture into wides and heights?

Hey Frank!  Thanks man......I'm abandoning the height/wides for now--I'd have to buy amplification and more speakers to make those work right now. BTW--what's up with the calibration issues man?

Quote:

This makes sense to me. I applaud the non-move! Here's hoping the boxed XPR won't be in the way, though. Is there any thought to unboxing it to make sure it works? It should still be under warranty by the time you move—unless that takes more than 5 years!

Mannn, the boxed XPR is indeed in the way--I need to hoist it up to the office closet and store it in there.  But it's been at the bottom of the stairs for a couple of weeks because I haven't had the dedication to get it up there. lol. 

post #2270 of 3302 Old 07-14-2013, 10:10 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Hey Frank!  Thanks man......I'm abandoning the height/wides for now--I'd have to buy amplification and more speakers to make those work right now.

I guess that's something for the future down the track? But then again Atmos will soon hit consumer level so Im interested on how that will turn out like.

Quote:
BTW--what's up with the calibration issues man?

User error all sorted. What I did I tried to cheat by running auto calibrate even if it looks good on on Pc the results on screen were horrible. I was told to manually calibrate the greyscale on the lumagen and run auto on CMS and it works!! smile.gif pic looks sensational. Im glad I bought the 2041 with there trade in program I had a Dvdo vp 30 sitting around collecting dust which I got $500 US. I wouldn't of got $50 for that old unit.

Frank

post #2271 of 3302 Old 07-14-2013, 03:40 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:

Bro, go with projection!!!  You can get the light-cannon BenQ projector, an Elite Screens 100" inch screen, an Oppo BDP-103, and a harmony remote all for LESS than the price of a new V-Series 65 Inch Panasonic.  Glad you like the review man....Emotiva really is an amplifier-manufacturer powerhouse.

I see your point when I really start looking at what can be picked up for the price of a Panny and the wow factor of a large screen can't be beat and since the room is bigger might as well fill it lol!!!!
post #2272 of 3302 Old 07-15-2013, 05:05 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wkingincharge View Post

I see your point when I really start looking at what can be picked up for the price of a Panny and the wow factor of a large screen can't be beat and since the room is bigger might as well fill it lol!!!!

Yeah man.....if you have the room for it, projection is the only way to go!!!  The fact that great projection solutions are available for less than the cost of great plasmas is a win-win for A/V fans like you and I!

post #2273 of 3302 Old 07-19-2013, 04:11 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Hey Matt I noticed on the Marantz thread you said your triggers don't work on the mono blocks? I could be wrong but check with Wabo because on his mono blocks he uses a stereo type cable to trigger them.

Frank

post #2274 of 3302 Old 07-19-2013, 04:16 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:

Hey Matt I noticed on the Marantz thread you said your triggers don't work on the mono blocks? I could be wrong but check with Wabo because on his mono blocks he uses a stereo type cable to trigger them.

I had to use Stereo ones on my McIntosh MC205.

post #2275 of 3302 Old 07-20-2013, 06:23 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mookie b View Post

Thanks guys....I'm going to try stereo cables....I'll get some long rca cables from monoprice.
post #2276 of 3302 Old 07-20-2013, 09:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 96 Post(s)
Liked: 272
Quote:
Originally Posted by mookie b View Post

Quote:

Thanks guys....I'm going to try stereo cables....I'll get some long rca cables from monoprice.

Mac amps need stereo trigger cables.

Brolic, did I read that right? You're considering a 15' screen? You sir, rock!cool.gif

Growing Older But Not Up
post #2277 of 3302 Old 07-20-2013, 02:26 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waboman View Post

Mac amps need stereo trigger cables.

Brolic, did I read that right? You're considering a 15' screen? You sir, rock!cool.gif

That's the plan bro.....maybe I can use shark skin for the screen material....I'm sure there will be plenty to use once the Sharknado passes wink.gif

post #2278 of 3302 Old 07-20-2013, 02:38 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Turned off the HDMI audio option in the Oppo BDP-105 and ran multi-channel analog to the Marantz 8801 with Audyssey off--for no other reason that the fact that I'm tired of using my 105 like a 103 for movies.  I wanted to put those DACS to work and get my money's worth.  I haven't had much listening time since I made this change on Thursday, but I definitely plan on getting a few movies in this weekend.  I have the strange urge to re-watch Oz, even though I just saw it two weeks ago (which is the equivalent of "yesterday" in movie terms). I've been enjoying 2-channel audio for quite some time via the XLR outputs on the Oppo, sans Audyssey.  I've been researching room correction (in the context of whether it should be used for the entire frequency range) and what I've been finding has been interesting.  I think I'm going to spring for an Antimode after I snag some subs, and leave the mids and highs un-equalized...

post #2279 of 3302 Old 07-20-2013, 05:45 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Just wanted to share the fact that Hans Zimmer's Man of Steel official soundtrack is absolutely epic.

post #2280 of 3302 Old 07-21-2013, 02:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Just wanted to share the fact that Hans Zimmer's Man of Steel official soundtrack is absolutely epic.

I saw a TV blurb last night saying a sequel is in the works. However, rumor is it will be a Superman/Batman movie.
Reply What's Your System Configuration

Tags
Emotiva Xpr 1 , Marantz Av8801 , Jvc Dla Rs66 , Cambridge Audio Azur Dacmagic 100 Silver , Oppo Bdp 105 Blu Ray Player , Panamax M5300 Pm 11 Outlet Clean Power Level 4 Black
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page