Forum Jump: 

post #2341 of 3341 Old 08-13-2013, 01:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 265
lol well that's one way of looking at it. I'll agree btw. wink.gif

As for me I find myself in a somewhat similar situation. I look at cereal and get mad at the cost of a box but dang it if I don't think twice about spending on my home theater system or gaming computer or blurays, etc.. $10 lunch too much? Yep. $10 for a new digital download game on PSN or XBLA? Yes please. My son hates shopping with me lol.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2342 of 3341 Old 08-13-2013, 01:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 145 Post(s)
Liked: 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrolicBeast View Post

Thanks Mike!  I think I'm going to be up in NY this fall, so I'll be sure to touch base with you when I'm on my way back.  I really look forward to hearing those Focals.  i think it's great that your system is in a smaller room because the treatments take up more surface area and there are less reflective surfaces.
Keep me posted. Hopefully I will have the Integra back in my system and all setup by then but one never knows smile.gif.

It ain't easy being green.
My System
post #2343 of 3341 Old 08-13-2013, 01:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 470 Post(s)
Liked: 268
Quote:
Originally Posted by pcweber111 View Post

As for me I find myself in a somewhat similar situation. I look at cereal and get mad at the cost of a box but dang it if I don't think twice about spending on my home theater system or gaming computer or blurays, etc.. $10 lunch too much? Yep. $10 for a new digital download game on PSN or XBLA? Yes please. My son hates shopping with me lol.

I do the same thing. Last night I was getting some groceries for lunches at work so I don't spend extra eating out. I jumped down the coffee aisle to grab some creamer. I decided to stick with black coffee after I seen the prices were more than I anticipated (i usually drink it black, creamer was going to be a bonus). Yet I have 2.5k in my sub fund right now. And I plan on covering nearly the entire JTR 212 Noesis LCR purchase in March with a profit sharing cash bonus. But I would rather have amazing sound then fufu tasting coffee smile.gif
BrolicBeast likes this.

PSN ID: Jlpowell84
DIY Sound Group Volt 10 surround speaker build
http://www.avsforum.com/t/1531107/di...axial-speakers
My Setup Thread
http://www.avsforum.com/forum/19-ded...4-s-setup.html
post #2344 of 3341 Old 08-13-2013, 03:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked: 68
A serious home theater set-up. I actually had a flash of popcorn just now looking at the most recent pictures. I hope you keep plenty on hand for when you watch stuff. Not the movie theater stuff, which is a nutritional disaster. You need the good stuff. Orville Redenbacher popped in a Whirly Pop!

Even without the popcorn that is a heavy-hitting theater, Brolic. Congratulations!

P.S. I agree. Don't put the Emotivas inside the Legacys.
post #2345 of 3341 Old 08-13-2013, 06:29 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 259 Post(s)
Liked: 353
Quote:
Originally Posted by pcweber111 View Post

Lol....it's all rational...to us!!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by MIkeDuke View Post

Keep me posted. Hopefully I will have the Integra back in my system and all setup by then but one never knows smile.gif.

Will do, buddy. I'm sure it'll be back by then :-)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlpowell84 View Post

I do the same thing. Last night I was getting some groceries for lunches at work so I don't spend extra eating out. I jumped down the coffee aisle to grab some creamer. I decided to stick with black coffee after I seen the prices were more than I anticipated (i usually drink it black, creamer was going to be a bonus). Yet I have 2.5k in my sub fund right now. And I plan on covering nearly the entire JTR 212 Noesis LCR purchase in March with a profit sharing cash bonus. But I would rather have amazing sound then fufu tasting coffee smile.gif

Lol...as you thunder through next year's blockbusters, be sure to sip black coffee as you remember that you're hearing what truly matters!
Quote:
Originally Posted by prepress View Post

A serious home theater set-up. I actually had a flash of popcorn just now looking at the most recent pictures. I hope you keep plenty on hand for when you watch stuff. Not the movie theater stuff, which is a nutritional disaster. You need the good stuff. Orville Redenbacher popped in a Whirly Pop!

Even without the popcorn that is a heavy-hitting theater, Brolic. Congratulations!

P.S. I agree. Don't put the Emotivas inside the Legacys.

Thanks man! Ah, popcorn! Lol.....dude, every time I watch a movie with the Mrs, I have to drive to Arundel Mills mall beforehand..there's a special Kiosk that sells unbelievable movie-style popcorn. I generally don't mind the drive, and it REALLY increases the movie theater experience!

Speaking of which, I mentioned this in the Local meet thread but haven't posted here: on Sunday, 9/15, I'm going to be throwing a movie event at my place...the movie is going to be....*drumroll*.....Star Trek Into Darkness!!! I plan to screen it in 2D, but. If the group isn't astronomical, I'll screen it in 3D. Anyone interested in taking a trip to the DC area is welcome to PM me. I plan to "press play" at around 3pm, but early arrivals are more than welcome for demos and fun and lots of Popcorn will be present! Lol.
post #2346 of 3341 Old 08-13-2013, 06:33 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked: 115
Sounds like you need your own popcorn machine.

My Basement HT/Gaming/Bar Space.

Official Hip Hop Thread

Equipment

Epson 8350 on a 100" Visual Apex screen, Pioneer VSX-53, Polk RTi A5(x2) CSi 5 RTi A1 (x2) RTi 4(x2), Outlaw Audio LFM-1 EX, PS3, XBox 360 with HD-DVD add-on.
post #2347 of 3341 Old 08-13-2013, 06:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 100 Post(s)
I can help you out there. Remember, I work for Gold Medal Products Co. You would be surprised how inexpensive a nice, commercial grade popcorn for your home can cost. wink.gif We are the #1 choice for all the major theater chains....
post #2348 of 3341 Old 08-13-2013, 07:04 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SupaKats View Post

Sounds like you need your own popcorn machine.

Yesssss! I must seek this saver of gas, also known as a Popcorn machine!...
Quote:
Originally Posted by COACH2369 View Post

I can help you out there. Remember, I work for Gold Medal Products Co. You would be surprised how inexpensive a nice, commercial grade popcorn for your home can cost. wink.gif We are the #1 choice for all the major theater chains....

Dude!!!!! We gotta talk.....I shall PM you in the AM with some reqs.
post #2349 of 3341 Old 08-13-2013, 07:17 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:

Thanks a lot man.....from the exact same angle, the room looks VERY different when I first started this thread....

to its current state:

I'm proud of the progress, as all of us on this thread should be.  None of our systems look the way they did when they first started! 

BTW, i'm sitting tight for pics of that new completed room of yours!!

Great perspective there of your progress!!! We are all constantly learning and evolving to make minor or major tweaks so it never really stops lol!!!

Pics and updates are coming soon from me!!! Just working on walls and ceiling wiring, then paint/carpet (letting the Mrs get involved on that) got to be dark lol!!! and then start re-installing all the old goodies with new add-ons before NFL season gets into full swing.eek.gif
post #2350 of 3341 Old 08-13-2013, 07:40 PM
CIH USER

Quoted: 299 Post(s)
Liked: 299
Quote:

One must wonder about life's priorities.  I refused to spend $4 on a stick of cocoa butter (which my very dry hands sorely needed), but will eliminate all notions of fiscal preservation when it's time to secure a new Home Theater product.  If the way I viewed that $4 stick of cocoa butter is the way women view the gear we purchase for this hobby, then things start to really makes sense...confused.gif

I still think four bucks was way too much for any moisturizing agent that does not begin with K and end with Y.

Lol that is so true. I will be going shopping with my wife and she will take me clothes shopping and everything to me seems very expensive " that's way too much for a jumper " " no way I'm paying $250 for a pair of shoes ".

But I had no problems buying a lumagen 2041 or Aq cables or even another oppo.

Frank
post #2351 of 3341 Old 08-14-2013, 06:56 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wkingincharge View Post

Great perspective there of your progress!!! We are all constantly learning and evolving to make minor or major tweaks so it never really stops lol!!!

Pics and updates are coming soon from me!!! Just working on walls and ceiling wiring, then paint/carpet (letting the Mrs get involved on that) got to be dark lol!!! and then start re-installing all the old goodies with new add-ons before NFL season gets into full swing.eek.gif

Thanks man, and yes indeed--it's a constant evolution. That sounds like some fun progress in your new room, and GOOD IDEA on letting the Mrs. get involved in the paint/carpet.  She'll love the room more if she plays a role in its creation! But wait.....did I hear.....NEW ADD ONS??? Nice...I look forward to finding out what those are.  (I'd definitely suggest more Crowsons if you're adding a lot more seating.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franin View Post

Lol that is so true. I will be going shopping with my wife and she will take me clothes shopping and everything to me seems very expensive " that's way too much for a jumper " " no way I'm paying $250 for a pair of shoes ".

But I had no problems buying a lumagen 2041 or Aq cables or even another oppo.

LOL....precisely!  I could never pay $250 for shoes, but I'll pay $350 for a PS Audio power cable. lol.....This is the way of our world. As you mention Lumagen, I still haven't yet scooped up the Calman package man...I know you're a master at calibration these days. I'm looking forward to CEDIA--hoping UHD projectors go on sale to the masses.  I'd sell my RS56 for a true UHD projector....but It would take some serious research.  I love the way the RS56 does 3D (way better than my RS45 did 3D) so my first UHD projector must do 3D at least a little better than the RS56 for me to pursue.  How about you, Frank?  Would you sell your RS60 and shoot for a UHD projector if UHD projectors got announced at CEDIA this year?

post #2352 of 3341 Old 08-14-2013, 07:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Just want to echo again what everybody has said that your room should really be fantastic now. And of course you will know when I get the Integra back and we will try and work something out for you to drop by.

My System
post #2353 of 3341 Old 08-14-2013, 07:21 AM
CIH USER

Quote:

LOL....precisely!  I could never pay $250 for shoes, but I'll pay $350 for a PS Audio power cable. lol.....This is the way of our world. As you mention Lumagen, I still haven't yet scooped up the Calman package man...I know you're a master at calibration these days. I'm looking forward to CEDIA--hoping UHD projectors go on sale to the masses.  I'd sell my RS56 for a true UHD projector....but It would take some serious research.  I love the way the RS56 does 3D (way better than my RS45 did 3D) so my first UHD projector must do 3D at least a little better than the RS56 for me to pursue.  How about you, Frank?  Would you sell your RS60 and shoot for a UHD projector if UHD projectors got announced at CEDIA this year?

Yes count me in at looking at another projector soon I hate my RS60u, not the Pq but its intermittent fault of not turning on at times.

What's your thoughts on M&K S150 MK II ?

Frank
post #2354 of 3341 Old 08-14-2013, 01:29 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Just want to echo again what everybody has said that your room should really be fantastic now. And of course you will know when I get the Integra back and we will try and work something out for you to drop by.

Thanks Mike--I look forward to dropping by.  Since you have a well-treated room, do you find yourself turning Audyssey off for some material? Or do you keep it on 100% of the time? Maybe a sharp divide (On for movies, off for music)?  I've been recently keeping it off for music, and on for movies.

Quote:

Yes count me in at looking at another projector soon I hate my RS60u, not the Pq but its intermittent fault of not turning on at times.

What's your thoughts on M&K S150 MK II ?

Whoa, problems with the RS60u?  I'm sorry to hear that man!  It's still udner warranty, right?  You should be able to get that fixed, free of charge (except for shipping).  I've read a couple positive reviews on that M&K system--it's supposed to be great for its size, but I would imagine that your current system would surpass it three-fold in performance--especially in a room as large as yours.  Are you considering adding it to the game room?  If so, it should be a great addition for those Wii U sessions!

post #2355 of 3341 Old 08-15-2013, 05:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Hey Matt, when I listen to music, I normally just put it bypass mode so only my L\R speakers are playing and I am pretty sure that turns of Audyssey. First, I like the sound stage better in my room just listening to the two speakers. Second, while I can listen to it in stereo, which has the sub engaged, it sounds good but again, I prefer the sound stage I get in bypass mode. Also, you may not think it but the 1027's sound like they are digging deep enough for me so I am happy with the bass I get. Finally, unless the disk is a SACD or DVD-A that is mixed in 5.1, I really don't like the "matrixed" modes that give you multi-channel sound from a 2ch source. It just does not sound good and I fee it's a waste in my room so I just listen in bypass mode unless it is a dedicated 5.1 mix.

My System
post #2356 of 3341 Old 08-15-2013, 06:40 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Hey Matt, when I listen to music, I normally just put it bypass mode so only my L\R speakers are playing and I am pretty sure that turns of Audyssey. First, I like the sound stage better in my room just listening to the two speakers. Second, while I can listen to it in stereo, which has the sub engaged, it sounds good but again, I prefer the sound stage I get in bypass mode. Also, you may not think it but the 1027's sound like they are digging deep enough for me so I am happy with the bass I get. Finally, unless the disk is a SACD or DVD-A that is mixed in 5.1, I really don't like the "matrixed" modes that give you multi-channel sound from a 2ch source. It just does not sound good and I fee it's a waste in my room so I just listen in bypass mode unless it is a dedicated 5.1 mix.

I feel you bro....I also hate matrixed modes for music.  the "forced' center and surround channels sound horrid to me. I'm a big fan of listening to music in the same format it was recorded in.  I definitely believe your Focals can dig deep.  They are a really high end speaker so they better dig deep on their own!!!  It's good that you don't engage the sub in stereo mode, since, as you know, that introduces the digital processing that you're trying to avoid by running in bypass mode. I only have a few SACD's and one DVD-A disc though.  99.9994% of my music listening comes from two-channel sources.

post #2357 of 3341 Old 08-15-2013, 07:46 AM
AVS Special Member

I have a few MC SACD's and DVD-A disk's.
James & Lucky Peterson - If You Can Fix It SACD
Guitar Shorty with Otis Grand / My Way or The Highway SACD
Pink Floyd DSOTM SACD
Junior Wells Come on in this house SACD
Fleetwood Mac Live at the BBC DVD-A
Buddy Guy DJ Play my blues SACD
Eric Clapton Reptile DVD-A
Traffic - The Last Great Traffic Jam DVD-A
Those are ones I can remember off hand. I also have a number of stereo SACD's and DVD-A's though. They all sound really good in my room smile.gif.
But like you mention, if it isn't mixed that way, I just listen in bypass mode. I don't get enough of a surround effect in my room and I like the center stage from just the 2 speakers playing rather then the hard center of the center channel with the matrix stuff. But music that is MC by design sound really good.

My System
post #2358 of 3341 Old 08-15-2013, 08:02 AM
CIH USER

Quote:

Whoa, problems with the RS60u?  I'm sorry to hear that man!  It's still udner warranty, right?  You should be able to get that fixed, free of charge (except for shipping).  I've read a couple positive reviews on that M&K system--it's supposed to be great for its size, but I would imagine that your current system would surpass it three-fold in performance--especially in a room as large as yours.  Are you considering adding it to the game room?  If so, it should be a great addition for those Wii U sessions!

The RS60u every now and then does not want to turn on and have to unplug from power source for it too work again. Im not going to bother to send for it repairs ill run it to the wheels fall off. My room is only 3.8m wide by 5.0m wide. I think I will pass on the M&K as Ive read positive and negative reviews on it also.

Frank
post #2359 of 3341 Old 08-15-2013, 12:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Hey Matt, it may be a YouTube thing but that link is not working, It was working a few hours ago though. I was just wondering if there is going to be a part 2 to your Legacy speaker video because that video says part one.
Edit: Never mind, it's back up but your legacy video still says part one.... which implies there will be a part 2.

My System
post #2360 of 3341 Old 08-15-2013, 01:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Matt, in your opinion based on your experience so far in this exciting hobby, what are a few basic projectors that you would recommend? So far I have catered everything to audio quality. I am thinking something that is better than the entry level 1080 but want to keep the costs down. Also I have yet to sit with a DLP and do the headache testing I've read about. I've had a couple recommended in the 1400-1700 range so far. smile.gif

My Setup Thread
post #2361 of 3341 Old 08-15-2013, 02:23 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

The RS60u every now and then does not want to turn on and have to unplug from power source for it too work again. Im not going to bother to send for it repairs ill run it to the wheels fall off. My room is only 3.8m wide by 5.0m wide. I think I will pass on the M&K as Ive read positive and negative reviews on it also.

I can definitely understand, as shipping an item as delicate as a projector is an exercise in risk-taking!  For some reasons, projectors don't always travel well 100% their second time around.

Quote:

Hey Matt, it may be a YouTube thing but that link is not working, It was working a few hours ago though. I was just wondering if there is going to be a part 2 to your Legacy speaker video because that video says part one.
Edit: Never mind, it's back up but your legacy video still says part one.... which implies there will be a part 2.

Hey Mike, I'll check into the broken link as soon as I get home!  Oh yes, a Part 2 is definitely coming....here's the plan.  I want to wait until I have another pair of Submersives, and I want to run a battery of tests comparing the low end prowess of the Legacy Focus SE's AND the Marquis HD, compared to the Submersives.  Of course the seatons can go louder and lower--that's their sole purpose, but I want to find a way to quantify that the Legacy speakers will provide xx.xx% performance of a submersive pair, given enough amplifier power (which they have).  This is a comparison that I've always wondered about--and I plan to document this measurement process and will, of course, post the formula!  That's why it's taking me so long to shoot Part II.

Quote:

Matt, in your opinion based on your experience so far in this exciting hobby, what are a few basic projectors that you would recommend? So far I have catered everything to audio quality. I am thinking something that is better than the entry level 1080 but want to keep the costs down. Also I have yet to sit with a DLP and do the headache testing I've read about. I've had a couple recommended in the 1400-1700 range so far. smile.gif

What's up man? In my opinion, I'd recommend the JVC RS46 which streets for around $2.6k.  If you like 3d a lot, I'd definitely check out the BenQ 8000 (I think it's been released), as it's a light cannon, but not remarkable with dark material.  i'm leaving Epson out of the mix because they have been reported to have reliability issues! My first HDTV was a 50" DLP from Toshiba.  I took a leap of faith, as I did not know anything about color wheels or headaches at the time.  It's only later on, when I stumbled onto cnet, that I discovered that some people had issues with DLP's.  You're in a tough spot because stores no longer sell them, so there's no way to do an in-store demo.  I actually ended up selling the DLP to my grad school buddy who was renting a room out of my house at the time, after which point I upgraded to a Panasonic plasma, which I used for quite some time.  But then, I dicovered the Mitsubishi HC7000--a razor sharp projector that I used from 2009 through early 2012, when i made my first JVC purchase (RS45).  Now, if you value sharpness over black level performance, I'd suggest looking at Mitsubishi as well....I can't remember what their current model-structure is, but they make some razor sharp projectors.  You can probably find their HC9000 model ($12k in 2011) for a VERY good price, if you look hard enough.  Going the route of projection will change your life!!!

post #2362 of 3341 Old 08-15-2013, 02:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I can definitely understand, as shipping an item as delicate as a projector is an exercise in risk-taking!  For some reasons, projectors don't always travel well 100% their second time around.

Hey Mike, I'll check into the broken link as soon as I get home!  Oh yes, a Part 2 is definitely coming....here's the plan.  I want to wait until I have another pair of Submersives, and I want to run a battery of tests comparing the low end prowess of the Legacy Focus SE's AND the Marquis HD, compared to the Submersives.  Of course the seatons can go louder and lower--that's their sole purpose, but I want to find a way to quantify that the Legacy speakers will provide xx.xx% performance of a submersive pair, given enough amplifier power (which they have).  This is a comparison that I've always wondered about--and I plan to document this measurement process and will, of course, post the formula!  That's why it's taking me so long to shoot Part II.

What's up man? In my opinion, I'd recommend the JVC RS46 which streets for around $2.6k.  If you like 3d a lot, I'd definitely check out the BenQ 8000 (I think it's been released), as it's a light cannon, but not remarkable with dark material.  i'm leaving Epson out of the mix because they have been reported to have reliability issues! My first HDTV was a 50" DLP from Toshiba.  I took a leap of faith, as I did not know anything about color wheels or headaches at the time.  It's only later on, when I stumbled onto cnet, that I discovered that some people had issues with DLP's.  You're in a tough spot because stores no longer sell them, so there's no way to do an in-store demo.  I actually ended up selling the DLP to my grad school buddy who was renting a room out of my house at the time, after which point I upgraded to a Panasonic plasma, which I used for quite some time.  But then, I dicovered the Mitsubishi HC7000--a razor sharp projector that I used from 2009 through early 2012, when i made my first JVC purchase (RS45).  Now, if you value sharpness over black level performance, I'd suggest looking at Mitsubishi as well....I can't remember what their current model-structure is, but they make some razor sharp projectors.  You can probably find their HC9000 model ($12k in 2011) for a VERY good price, if you look hard enough.  Going the route of projection will change your life!!!

Nice! This gives me a good base to leap from. I have heard the two biggest changes to a HT are subs and a projector. If I stay with the Seaton master/slave HP pair I may be able to swing a projector as well. I have not been a fan of 3d before. I always felt the 3d picture was too dark. But that's just the theater and my 2013 Panasonic plasma 50". So a home projector with a big screen I think would allow me to see more detail and what is going on visually. Thanks!

My Setup Thread
post #2363 of 3341 Old 08-15-2013, 06:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 288
BTW, just thought I'd provide a little update for anyone interested:

A little while back, I was asking about the amps and mentioned power draw from the wall and potential line voltage sag. Well, I got one of these puppies cheap on ebay
http://www.amazon.com/Watts-Pro-Electricity-Consumption-Meter/dp/B000CSWW92/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1376611583&sr=8-3&keywords=watts+up

unlike this unit that I had previously
http://www.amazon.com/P3-International-P4460-Electricity-Monitor/dp/B000RGF29Q/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1376611654&sr=8-2&keywords=kill+a+watt
that records usage, but apparently, doesn't record Max and Min, the Watts Up Pro DOES record Min and Max as well as having the ability to log. I could, for instance, set it up to log the power draw from a connected device while watching a movie to see what the power draw chart looks like while watching the movie tongue.gif

And the results with 1 solo XPA-1 plugged into its own independent 15A circuit... drumroll.....

Maximum current draw while watching something at THX Reference off 1 solo XPA-1 was: 1882 watts!
Min draw (average while the unit is in standby): 2.3 - 2.5 watts
Average draw while the unit is On with volume at -30MV with Audyssey Dynamic Volume ON: ~90-95 watts (it fluctuates around this whether the volume is on Mute or On at -30MV with DVol ON. It actually starts off at ~60 watts, and continues to rise over the first 5-10 minutes as the unit stays On)

And the kicker:
Min Voltage due to line sag: 99V! (the line tends to average around 119-120V with a peak of 125V when the amp is on Standby, and even when it's On at -30MV with DVol ON, but I've seen it sag on the front of the Belkin PF60 down to 112V when things are loud. Evidently, it drops even lower than that)

Yep, the circuits in this old house aren't quite up to the task of keeping up with the XPA-1 at full chat. Now to see what one single Submersive HP draws off an independent circuit while watching one of the 5-star bass movies at THX Reference.

Max
post #2364 of 3341 Old 08-16-2013, 07:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

That's great. So you have two SubMersives and are getting two more. That should be impressive. Your plan does sound interesting and I will really be looking forward to watching it. The Focus SE's do have a lot of piston area for the low end I am sure run full range, they sound outstanding. Looking forward to the next part of the video.

My System
post #2365 of 3341 Old 08-17-2013, 01:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Brolic, sitting here listening to your speakers at Kris Deering's GTG. Awesome opportunity and now I know what you have been describing and experiencing!

My Setup Thread
post #2366 of 3341 Old 08-17-2013, 03:50 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Brolic, sitting here listening to your speakers at Kris Deering's GTG. Awesome opportunity and now I know what you have been describing and experiencing!

Yes bro....yes!!!! Hearing is believing!
post #2367 of 3341 Old 08-17-2013, 08:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Yes bro....yes!!!! Hearing is believing!

I also got to watch oblivion on some JTR speakers Wow they were amazing as well, The center channel dialog was absolutely insane. I swore Tom Cruise was standing right in front of me speaking. The legacies for movies or absolutely beautiful. So detailed crisp and precise. We watched many scenes from the Blu-ray demo disc, With Tron probably being my favorite.

My Setup Thread
post #2368 of 3341 Old 08-18-2013, 03:15 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by djbluemax1 View Post

BTW, just thought I'd provide a little update for anyone interested:

A little while back, I was asking about the amps and mentioned power draw from the wall and potential line voltage sag. Well, I got one of these puppies cheap on ebay
http://www.amazon.com/Watts-Pro-Electricity-Consumption-Meter/dp/B000CSWW92/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1376611583&sr=8-3&keywords=watts+up

unlike this unit that I had previously
http://www.amazon.com/P3-International-P4460-Electricity-Monitor/dp/B000RGF29Q/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1376611654&sr=8-2&keywords=kill+a+watt
that records usage, but apparently, doesn't record Max and Min, the Watts Up Pro DOES record Min and Max as well as having the ability to log. I could, for instance, set it up to log the power draw from a connected device while watching a movie to see what the power draw chart looks like while watching the movie tongue.gif

And the results with 1 solo XPA-1 plugged into its own independent 15A circuit... drumroll.....

Maximum current draw while watching something at THX Reference off 1 solo XPA-1 was: 1882 watts!
Min draw (average while the unit is in standby): 2.3 - 2.5 watts
Average draw while the unit is On with volume at -30MV with Audyssey Dynamic Volume ON: ~90-95 watts (it fluctuates around this whether the volume is on Mute or On at -30MV with DVol ON. It actually starts off at ~60 watts, and continues to rise over the first 5-10 minutes as the unit stays On)

And the kicker:
Min Voltage due to line sag: 99V! (the line tends to average around 119-120V with a peak of 125V when the amp is on Standby, and even when it's On at -30MV with DVol ON, but I've seen it sag on the front of the Belkin PF60 down to 112V when things are loud. Evidently, it drops even lower than that)

Yep, the circuits in this old house aren't quite up to the task of keeping up with the XPA-1 at full chat. Now to see what one single Submersive HP draws off an independent circuit while watching one of the 5-star bass movies at THX Reference.

Max

Impressive numbers!  That 99v line sag is pretty significant, but the testing was worth it.  I'm definitely looking forward to the Submersive HP numbers!

Quote:

That's great. So you have two SubMersives and are getting two more. That should be impressive. Your plan does sound interesting and I will really be looking forward to watching it. The Focus SE's do have a lot of piston area for the low end I am sure run full range, they sound outstanding. Looking forward to the next part of the video.

Hey man, I'm looking forward to making it. I'm prepping for some life-changes and plan to turn my dedicated room back into a Living Room (i.e. re-paint, replace flooring, etc.) so my room won't look much like a theater once my Sept. 15th G-2-G passes, but.....it will be looking like a theater shortly thereafter...somewhere elsewink.gif      I definitely want to shoot a few videos before I begin the conversion process. 

Quote:

I also got to watch oblivion on some JTR speakers Wow they were amazing as well, The center channel dialog was absolutely insane. I swore Tom Cruise was standing right in front of me speaking. The legacies for movies or absolutely beautiful. So detailed crisp and precise. We watched many scenes from the Blu-ray demo disc, With Tron probably being my favorite.

I've heard plenty of good things about JTR speakers!  I think you heard the Noesis (plural: Noeses?)....there's been quite a bit of buzz about that speaker line.  I actually had a local movie night last night (shout out to the folks who came through!!!) and the movie I screened was also Oblivion.  The audio in that movie was great and the picture quality was also superb.  Tron is a killer demo, and the Superleo, Scubasteve, and Jindrak demo discs are just outstanding efforts on the part of some very gifted AVS members. 

post #2369 of 3341 Old 08-18-2013, 08:19 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Trying Something New: Google+  

Not bad, so far.

post #2370 of 3341 Old 08-19-2013, 05:22 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:

Trying Something New: Google+  

Not bad, so far.
It's a pretty cool alternative to the other social sites, with a easy way to post and link your YouTube videos smile.gif

The link above led me to a blank page frown.gif but no worries, my internet skillz kicked in and I'm happy to provide this one as a alternative wink.gif
BrolicBeast Media

Just my 2¢ - take it or leave it for others

Halo ® 3 Beta Tester, Reach ® Beta Tester, COD ® 4 Beta Tester
XboxLive GT - hyghwayman
Reply What's Your System Configuration

Tags
Emotiva Xpr 1 , Marantz Av8801 , Jvc Dla Rs66 , Cambridge Audio Azur Dacmagic 100 Silver , Oppo Bdp 105 Blu Ray Player , Panamax M5300 Pm 11 Outlet Clean Power Level 4 Black
Gear in this thread - Av8801 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page