AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked: 264
Quote:
Originally Posted by pcweber111 View Post

Those power cords aren't big enough.

LOL....If i went any bigger than these 7 AWG monsters, I'd need to hire an electrician just to run them!
post #213 of 3270 Old 05-18-2011, 09:45 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Wow, looking at everyone's setups here just puts mine to shame haha
post #214 of 3270 Old 05-20-2011, 01:24 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by edc1591 View Post

lol nah, our theaters are really just manifestations of how much each individual is willing so sacrifice for his/her passion. Anybody could technically purchase $24k/pr B&W 800 Diamonds, but some (including myself) would have to live in a box for a few months in order to do so. The lest robust theaters usually just mean people have more important priorities at the moment. It doesn't make a theater bad. If it's the best a person can do, and the equipment is thoroughly thought out before purchase, then any theater can be a darn good theater.

Where is your theater, BTW. There was a link to it a few days ago, but alas, 't has disappeared! :-/
post #215 of 3270 Old 05-20-2011, 04:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by edc1591 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrolicBeast View Post

lol nah, our theaters are really just manifestations of how much each individual is willing so sacrifice for his/her passion. Anybody could technically purchase $24k/pr B&W 800 Diamonds, but some (including myself) would have to live in a box for a few months in order to do so. The lest robust theaters usually just mean people have more important priorities at the moment. It doesn't make a theater bad. If it's the best a person can do, and the equipment is thoroughly thought out before purchase, then any theater can be a darn good theater.

My setup is, as I've said, really a stereo to which I simply attached some video capability. Not SOTA at all, nor as clean and elegant-looking as many here (like Brolic's; I envy how clean his setup is). I don't have the space or money to turn my system into a true HT (and don't want one, to be honest), but I spent on my priorities, as I'd think we all would. And while I might enjoy others' setups, I never compare equipment. Even if someone else has something I'd consider better, that does not mean my equipment isn't good.

So no worries, edc1591. Even if you were joking with your statement (not sure), it's good to have this type of thing come up and be able to chew on it sometimes to help maintain perspective.
post #216 of 3270 Old 05-20-2011, 05:16 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by prepress View Post

My setup is, as I've said, really a stereo to which I simply attached some video capability. Not SOTA at all, nor as clean and elegant-looking as many here (like Brolic's; I envy how clean his setup is). I don't have the space or money to turn my system into a true HT (and don't want one, to be honest), but I spent on my priorities, as I'd think we all would. And while I might enjoy others' setups, I never compare equipment. Even if someone else has something I'd consider better, that does not mean my equipment isn't good.

So no worries, edc1591. Even if you were joking with your statement (not sure), it's good to have this type of thing come up and be able to chew on it sometimes to help maintain perspective.

Very well said Prepress. Very well said!
post #217 of 3270 Old 05-21-2011, 03:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Well, thanks for being a gracious host.

Perspective is important in these things. If I'm secure in myself and my own setup, I can appreciate others' setups without problems. As you implied earlier, whose equipment is better isn't the point. We buy what we want and what we believe will give the most satisfaction according to our goals; this is not always about cost. I could have spent way less money on amps, for example, but I came to believe that the Macs were the best long-term strategy, all things considered. Certainly not the cheapest, though .

We can't afford to look cross-eyed at our gear every time somebody gives a glowing report of something they just bought. On another forum, geared primarily to high-end audio, many praise the latest Mac preamps, the C50 in particular. I don't have $6500 to spare, and my trusty Audio Research LS3 (Dec. 1993!) still chugs along nicely. I haven't shot any daggers in its direction yet, despite the glowing praise I read on the C50. I know I bought well, and while I have some curiosity about the Macs, I'm content where I am. If I need to replace the LS3, I have a preamp short-list in place to explore.
post #218 of 3270 Old 05-21-2011, 08:43 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 169
Quote:

Spot on prepress. I personally believe its not about competition it's about sharing the passion of our hobby with other enthusiasts regardless of what your system costs.

I'm glad for these forums meeting all you great people, what makes it even better AVS is worldwide so it's great talking to you guys all different parts of the world.

Frank

post #219 of 3270 Old 05-21-2011, 09:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franin View Post

Spot on prepress. I personally believe its not about competition it's about sharing the passion of our hobby with other enthusiasts regardless of what your system costs.

I'm glad for these forums meeting all you great people, what makes it even better AVS is worldwide so it's great talking to you guys all different parts of the world.

Not sure of the time difference, but it must be well into the evening down there, maybe 9-10PM?
post #220 of 3270 Old 05-21-2011, 09:05 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Not sure of the time difference, but it must be well into the evening down there, maybe 9-10PM?

It was 11:43pm when I wrote that post prepress

Frank

post #221 of 3270 Old 05-30-2011, 08:56 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

My heart aches!!! The Rear Left channel of my Emotiva XPA-5 has died. I must send it in for repair :-( I feel crippled without my fully-functional theater!!! (although I am still able to enjoy two-channel music......until I send the amp in :-/ )
post #222 of 3270 Old 05-30-2011, 10:57 AM

Quote:

My heart aches!!! The Rear Left channel of my Emotiva XPA-5 has died. I must send it in for repair :-( I feel crippled without my fully-functional theater!!! (although I am still able to enjoy two-channel music......until I send the amp in :-/ )

That sucks. I hope nothing like that happens to my ips-1. However it would have to happen 5 times cause I only have a 3.1 setup and the ips-1 supports 7 channels haha
post #223 of 3270 Old 05-31-2011, 04:05 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Wow, thats definately a bit of a surprise. Be sure to post up how emotiva handles the repair.
post #224 of 3270 Old 05-31-2011, 08:37 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 21
How long have you had the XPA-5? Oh - Nice set-up you have there as well.
post #225 of 3270 Old 05-31-2011, 11:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 156
Beautiful set Brolic, very classy , sorry to hear your woes..I had to send one of my XPA-1 in for repair once, Emo claim there was nothing wrong with it Which sounded to me they want their crisp rep intact. All in all great CS start to finish.

Djoel
post #226 of 3270 Old 05-31-2011, 11:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

It's under warranty, right? But will they cover the cost of shipping both ways, or only return shipping? Do you still have a back-up to move in for at least 2-channel? Still, don't cry over anything that can't cry over you.

Part of me would like to hold on to one pair of the B&Ks I replaced for this very reason.
post #227 of 3270 Old 05-31-2011, 12:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

It's under warranty, right? But will they cover the cost of shipping both ways, or only return shipping? Do you still have a back-up to move in for at least 2-channel? Still, don't cry over anything that can't cry over you.

Part of me would like to hold on to one pair of the B&Ks I replaced for this very reason.

You have to pay to get it to them, they'll ship it back on their dime. All 70+ LBS of it

Djoel
post #228 of 3270 Old 05-31-2011, 04:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Djoel View Post

You have to pay to get it to them, they'll ship it back on their dime. All 70+ LBS of it

Djoel

That's what I figured, but thought I'd ask anyway just in case. I was considering the XPA-1s for awhile, and Emotiva is located in almost my old back yard (Nashville; they're in Franklin, a suburb of sorts).

Let's hope Brolic gets the gear there and back quickly for his sake.
post #229 of 3270 Old 05-31-2011, 04:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcweber111 View Post

Those power cords aren't big enough.

Perhaps you'd like the top-of-the-line Shunyatas at 5AWG?
post #230 of 3270 Old 05-31-2011, 07:55 PM

Liked: 12
brolic,
first off im a big fan of your youtube videos its so much nicer seeing a video instead of just pictures... every time i think i have a grasp of this stuff and i think i know what kinda set up i need and want and know everything i need to, i stumble onto a thread like this with all sorts of stuff i had no clue about. So i don't own a home yet, but im looking to purchasing one soon, my question is really how you like the sonos and how simple it is to use? Id really like to have about 4 channels of music possible when i get a house and i have heard the sonos can help with that. thanks in advance.
post #231 of 3270 Old 06-01-2011, 04:57 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gelinas View Post

Wow, thats definately a bit of a surprise. Be sure to post up how emotiva handles the repair.

I was surprised as well! It started giving off a slight crackle a couple months ago, but once I switched outlets in the Panamax Power Conditioner, the crackle went away. Not so this time. I even tried plugging it directly in the wall, troubleshooting it against the processor, and it's 100% the amp that's faulty. I will definitely post repair updates.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scout's staff View Post

How long have you had the XPA-5? Oh - Nice set-up you have there as well.

Scout's staff<---cool name! lol....I've had it for roughly a year and a half. It's served me quite well, and even with a recent promotion/raise at work, I see no reason to take the more expensive route (Parasound, Anthem) when Emotiva gives me such pleasing sound--regardless of price.

Quote:

Beautiful set Brolic, very classy , sorry to hear your woes..I had to send one of my XPA-1 in for repair once, Emo claim there was nothing wrong with it Which sounded to me they want their crisp rep intact. All in all great CS start to finish. Djoel

Thanks for the kind words!...I hope the find the problem and fix it! What was the end result with your XPA-1 after the told you there was nothing wrong with it???

Quote:

Man, that is an excellent quote. "Don't cry over anything that can't cry over you!" lol.....I love it. My backup is the upstairs media room, which I'm perfectly fine with. Just put an Emotiva Sub12 up there to go with the Sonance in-ceiling speakers, powered by a Denon 4310; as far as movies are concerned, they are great. For music, they are a bit lacking, but I haven't the patience to transplant the Denon down into the Theater rack for use until the XPA-5 is returned to me.
post #232 of 3270 Old 06-01-2011, 05:02 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Perhaps you'd like the top-of-the-line Shunyatas at 5AWG?

LOL, those power cords could be used as bridge cabling for the George Washington Bridge!!! 5AWG...i sweat in fear just thinking about those.

Quote:
Originally Posted by generalpride66 View Post

brolic,
first off im a big fan of your youtube videos its so much nicer seeing a video instead of just pictures... every time i think i have a grasp of this stuff and i think i know what kinda set up i need and want and know everything i need to, i stumble onto a thread like this with all sorts of stuff i had no clue about. So i don't own a home yet, but im looking to purchasing one soon, my question is really how you like the sonos and how simple it is to use? Id really like to have about 4 channels of music possible when i get a house and i have heard the sonos can help with that. thanks in advance.

Hey man, I definitely appreciate the youtube props!!! Yeah, one thing this site has taught me is that it is impossible to know EVERYTHING about Home Theater and Audio!

As far as the Sonos goes, let me put it like this: If home audio became illegal tomorrow, and I had to choose between my Oppo BDP-93, Oppo BDP-83, and Sonos Zoneplayer to hide and listen to behind the feds back, I would chose the Sonos without it doubt. It is the single greatest audio investment I've EVER made.
post #233 of 3270 Old 06-01-2011, 05:17 PM

Liked: 12
Quote:

L
As far as the Sonos goes, let me put it like this: If home audio became illegal tomorrow, and I had to choose between my Oppo BDP-93, Oppo BDP-83, and Sonos Zoneplayer to hide and listen to behind the feds back, I would chose the Sonos without it doubt. It is the single greatest audio investment I've EVER made.

Thats good to hear! now as i mentioned im not a home owner yet, but i've been saving specifically for a media room. Ideally id like to have a main media room, then speakers in the ceiling of the kitchen bedroom and outside. (this is the ideal scenario keep in mind) so i always assumed is jut get stuck running speaker wire around my house, but im still not exactly sure how the sonos works. If i had it hooked up to the main system in a media room you need a smaller hub in another room to send a signal to the other set of speakers?

oh and the youtube videos literally taught me some basic stuff i never knew, especially the recent update one after you got the intega that video is helpful because i basically want a super similar setup to yours...
post #234 of 3270 Old 06-02-2011, 04:19 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by generalpride66 View Post

Thats good to hear! now as i mentioned im not a home owner yet, but i've been saving specifically for a media room. Ideally id like to have a main media room, then speakers in the ceiling of the kitchen bedroom and outside. (this is the ideal scenario keep in mind) so i always assumed is jut get stuck running speaker wire around my house, but im still not exactly sure how the sonos works. If i had it hooked up to the main system in a media room you need a smaller hub in another room to send a signal to the other set of speakers?

oh and the youtube videos literally taught me some basic stuff i never knew, especially the recent update one after you got the intega that video is helpful because i basically want a super similar setup to yours...

Ah yes, everyone needs a media room! To me, it's the most essential room in the house! lol...yeah, the way Sonos works is, you have three ways to get music delivered. A) the Zone-Player 120 with the built-in amplifier, B) the Zone-Player 90 with just the Analog/Digital Outpits (for a receiver or processor), and 3) a Sonos S5 module. If you don't want to run eight-million wires, you will need one of the above products in each room you desire movies in. If you have a receiver in the media room, you can use that receiver's Zone 2 and Zone 3 capabilities for any adjacent rooms, since running wires to rooms that close could be easy. That would certainly save some $ if possible.

You know--i think I will do a video dedicated to the Sonos system next week. I did one a while ago, but deleted it because SO much has changed since I shot it (back in early 09). I truly am delighted that you were able to glean some information from my videos!
post #235 of 3270 Old 06-02-2011, 05:09 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

My three new Pangea Audio AC9 power cords have arrived!

The top AC9 is going to the Oppo BDP-93 for movie playback. The bottom AC9 is going to the Oppo BDP-83 that connects to a DAC for Stereo music playback.

AC9 into the rear of the Integra DHC-80.2

...and Into the Power Conditioner they goooo

These cables BrolicBeast are male to Female IEC? where do you buy them From?

Frank

post #236 of 3270 Old 06-02-2011, 07:17 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrolicBeast
Scout's staff<---cool name! lol....I've had it for roughly a year and a half. It's served me quite well, and even with a recent promotion/raise at work, I see no reason to take the more expensive route (Parasound, Anthem) when Emotiva gives me such pleasing sound--regardless of price.

Thanks - like most dog owners, I work for my dog, Scout. Nobody takes me out for a poop, walks me or feeds me these days - at least not yet..... ; )

I have been eying the the XPA-3 to upgrade the power to my front 3 and let my AVR (ONKYO TX-NR3007) continue to power the sides and surrounds. I hope your repair goes smoothly.

Dan
post #237 of 3270 Old 06-02-2011, 08:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franin View Post
These cables BrolicBeast are male to Female IEC? where do you buy them From?
Audio Advisor has them, and at excellent prices.
http://www.audioadvisor.com/products.asp?dept=260
post #238 of 3270 Old 06-02-2011, 09:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
I was surprised as well! It started giving off a slight crackle a couple months ago, but once I switched outlets in the Panamax Power Conditioner, the crackle went away. Not so this time. I even tried plugging it directly in the wall, troubleshooting it against the processor, and it's 100% the amp that's faulty. I will definitely post repair updates.
Emotiva advice agaist using power conditioners with their Amps, for some strange reason.

Quote:
Thanks for the kind words!...I hope the find the problem and fix it! What was the end result with your XPA-1 after the told you there was nothing wrong with it???
Oh it was working perfectly once they send it back, but to say there was nothing wrong The darn thing would light up like a Xmas tree, and a load scary noise would be coming blair out my right speaker, and this is with months working correctly.

Good luck, they'll send youa report saying what's wrong or not

Djoel
post #239 of 3270 Old 06-02-2011, 12:05 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scout's staff View Post

Thanks - like most dog owners, I work for my dog, Scout. Nobody takes me out for a poop, walks me or feeds me these days - at least not yet..... ; )

I have been eying the the XPA-3 to upgrade the power to my front 3 and let my AVR (ONKYO TX-NR3007) continue to power the sides and surrounds. I hope your repair goes smoothly.

Dan
lol...I hope that "Scout, LLC." is appreciative of all the hard work you do for him! lol.....The XPA Series are superb amplifiers. If you upgrade, you can be guaranteed an excellent experience. I also upgraded from a Receiver to Separates last year, and the difference is quite apparent!
post #240 of 3270 Old 06-02-2011, 12:09 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Emotiva advice agaist using power conditioners with their Amps, for some strange reason.

Oh it was working perfectly once they send it back, but to say there was nothing wrong The darn thing would light up like a Xmas tree, and a load scary noise would be coming blair out my right speaker, and this is with months working correctly.

Good luck, they'll send youa report saying what's wrong or not Djoel
Holy smokes, they advise against using Power Conditioners? I don't know how on earth I missed that. I hope that's not to blame for this issue. At least it was returned to you in excellent condition.

I made the mistake of throwing away the box it arrived in back in 2010, so i had to pay $25 to get a brand new packaging box to return the amp in. Good grief!!!
Reply What's Your System Configuration

Tags
Emotiva Xpr 1 , Marantz Av8801 , Jvc Dla Rs66 , Cambridge Audio Azur Dacmagic 100 Silver , Oppo Bdp 105 Blu Ray Player , Panamax M5300 Pm 11 Outlet Clean Power Level 4 Black
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page