My Basement Setup - Page 2 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #31 of 45 Old 01-21-2012, 03:17 PM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 283
Great stuff! I really like the "A" room, especially with the Crowson transducers. I have those in my room also. Some discussion about them here:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...0#post21093230
and here:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...8#post21096088

Craig

Lombardi said it:
Perfection is not attainable, but if we chase perfection we can catch excellence."

My System

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 45 Old 01-31-2012, 04:42 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Finally got around to taking pictures of the updated "B" room:
LL
LL
LL

Ridding the world of ferrets, one stinking critter at a time.

My Ferret-Free Setup
post #33 of 45 Old 01-31-2012, 04:45 PM - Thread Starter

One more:

I have to say, adding the center channel and going to 3.1 does make a difference that is noticeable.

As I've mentioned before, the 80.2 is noticeably better than the MRX500 that used to act as a preamp.

Now, ... what to do with the iScan Duo that is now in a box????
LL

My Ferret-Free Setup
post #34 of 45 Old 01-31-2012, 05:05 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by FerretHunter View Post

Now, ... what to do with the iScan Duo that is now in a box????

Trade it for someone to come paint all those white walls!!

TV's ain't theaters buddy.

My junk collection.

post #35 of 45 Old 02-02-2012, 03:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 101 Post(s)
Liked: 284
Quote:

There used to be a character who posted on here a long time ago. He went by the name "TheFerret". His posts really bothered me. He was downright rude sometimes to people (based on the posts, I would guess newbies) who would post innocent questions.

I used to go by Vincanity. I was so outraged by TheFerret, I vowed to fight for the little guy and run this rodent out of town. I self-imploded and rose from the ashes as FerretHunter. I was on a mission. I policed this guy and it looks like it worked.

He last posted as TheFerret towards the end of 2005.

Thanks for the feedback on my system(s).

You're a hero, bro.
post #36 of 45 Old 02-02-2012, 02:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 22
Quote:

There used to be a character who posted on here a long time ago. He went by the name "TheFerret". His posts really bothered me. He was downright rude sometimes to people (based on the posts, I would guess newbies) who would post innocent questions.

I used to go by Vincanity. I was so outraged by TheFerret, I vowed to fight for the little guy and run this rodent out of town. I self-imploded and rose from the ashes as FerretHunter. I was on a mission. I policed this guy and it looks like it worked.

He last posted as TheFerret towards the end of 2005.

Thanks for the feedback on my system(s).

I think "TheFerret" is still on this forum under another name.
post #37 of 45 Old 02-06-2012, 06:06 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jproy13 View Post

I think "TheFerret" is still on this forum under another name.

Already feeling down after the Patriots gave away the SuperBowl to the Giants, ... I read this tidbit this morning.

My Ferret-Free Setup
post #38 of 45 Old 02-06-2012, 07:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 22
Quote:

Already feeling down after the Patriots gave away the SuperBowl to the Giants, ... I read this tidbit this morning.

lol, sorry about your team. But rejoyce, the FerretHunter bit is purely speculative. Your description of this "FerretHunter character" is very close to a newer member that is quite rude and knows everything about everything.

Having said that I was already impress with your "B" setup and then I scroll down and saw your "A" setup

cheers
post #39 of 45 Old 02-06-2012, 10:34 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 21
I feel your pain as well on the Pat's loss. Welker should give Ben Watson his gloves back...

You have a nice system
post #40 of 45 Old 02-08-2012, 11:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Wonderful setup! I'm with you on the Pats loss as well, hopefully they will bounce back stronger from this one!

Your 'A' room setup reminds me a lot of my earlier basement room layout. Almost similar layout,even with the vent in the same place.

If i may suggest, do try and paint that white room, there was a day/night difference from me in the PQ once i went from white walls/ceiling to darker colors.

PS: For those of you in the Boston/New england area, we are trying to setup a local meet. If you are interested, hop on to the members meet subforum.

My HT Setup
My Blu-Rays
PSN Id:blitz500

post #41 of 45 Old 02-09-2012, 06:12 AM - Thread Starter

Where are my manners? Thanks to those who've recently posted comments on my setups.

I agree about the walls and ceiling. It's painted white (ceiling) and light blue (walls). The SuperNova is noticeably better than the Da-Lite screen I used to have. It was obvious to me when I put it up that it definitely reduces light reflecting off the screen.

One of these days, I'll re-paint to a darker color. And I might have to spring for a home theater installer to fancy/clean things up for me. Having HDMI cables and power cords running up the wall and across the ceiling is not ideal. Not to mention the rats nest of cables along the baseboards.

Regarding the Pats, I've gotten over it. When you think about it, they had a lot of things bounce their way in their SuperBowl wins over St Louis and Carolina. Eventually, it catches up to you. And lets face it, ... they did cheat (spygate).

My Ferret-Free Setup
post #42 of 45 Old 10-04-2012, 07:13 AM - Thread Starter

I have updated once again. Well, more like expanding than upgrading. It always starts innocently enough. My son, who showed absolutely no interest in music quality (or video for that matter), wanted quality headphones for his ipod. He was looking at Beats Audio by Dr. Dre. I told him to hold off while I research. I wound up getting him the Shure 940 which he is very happy with. I have standards to meet biggrin.gif

With that purchase, I started thinking about finally getting quality audio for my bedroom computer. I do some more research, and not wanting to spend too much, wind up with the Audio Engine N22 (still in the box). Then I needed speakers. I looked hard at the Paradigm Millenia CT and MilleniaOne CT. Naturally, I wound up buying the MilleniaOne 2.0 and Monitor Sub 8.

Next I started thinking about a DAC. I was flipping between Cambridge Audio DacMagic 100, DacMagic Plus, or the Arcam rDAC. For that kind of money, I wound up getting the Marantz NR1602.

So I am now expecting delivery of the Marantz NR1602, MilleniaOne 2.0, and Monitor Sub 8 for my bedroom computer. It would have gone in my son's room, except he prefers the headphones and to listen privately. Now I need to find a new desk, and figure out what to do with that darn AudioEngine N22.

My Ferret-Free Setup
post #43 of 45 Old 10-04-2012, 04:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by FerretHunter View Post

I have updated once again. Well, more like expanding than upgrading. It always starts innocently enough. My son, who showed absolutely no interest in music quality (or video for that matter), wanted quality headphones for his ipod. He was looking at Beats Audio by Dr. Dre. I told him to hold off while I research. I wound up getting him the Shure 940 which he is very happy with. I have standards to meet biggrin.gif
With that purchase, I started thinking about finally getting quality audio for my bedroom computer. I do some more research, and not wanting to spend too much, wind up with the Audio Engine N22 (still in the box). Then I needed speakers. I looked hard at the Paradigm Millenia CT and MilleniaOne CT. Naturally, I wound up buying the MilleniaOne 2.0 and Monitor Sub 8.
Next I started thinking about a DAC. I was flipping between Cambridge Audio DacMagic 100, DacMagic Plus, or the Arcam rDAC. For that kind of money, I wound up getting the Marantz NR1602.
So I am now expecting delivery of the Marantz NR1602, MilleniaOne 2.0, and Monitor Sub 8 for my bedroom computer. It would have gone in my son's room, except he prefers the headphones and to listen privately. Now I need to find a new desk, and figure out what to do with that darn AudioEngine N22.

Hey, did you ever listen to the Arcam rDAC? I am thinking about getting one to use with the Asus Essence STX card. I've read on a forum that using coax digital out of the Asus to the Arcam rDAC is a nice improvement. The rDAC is supposed to be very good for the price. Thx.
post #44 of 45 Old 10-04-2012, 06:18 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by drewTT View Post

Hey, did you ever listen to the Arcam rDAC? I am thinking about getting one to use with the Asus Essence STX card. I've read on a forum that using coax digital out of the Asus to the Arcam rDAC is a nice improvement. The rDAC is supposed to be very good for the price. Thx.

No, my DAC research had not gotten to the audition stage. To be honest, I'm not sure that I'd be able to tell the difference between the Cambridge Audio models, the Arcam, or the Marantz. So for the same money as the Arcam, I went and got the NR1602.

My Ferret-Free Setup
post #45 of 45 Old 11-09-2012, 08:37 AM - Thread Starter

Finally got the new speakers (Millenia Ones and Monitor Sub 8) and the Marantz NR1602 for the bedroom. I'll post pictures when I get a chance. I have to say, ... it sounds fantastic. I don't know if that is due to sitting right in front of the Millenia Ones, or if the Marantz is responsible. Whatever it is, I'm hearing great clarity in songs.

I find I'm listening to music in my bedroom over the other systems. Last night, I looked at my bedroom setup and said to it, "you, ... complete me".

My Ferret-Free Setup
Reply What's Your System Configuration

Tags
Pioneer Pro 141fd 59 6 Elite Kuro Plasma Panel Widescreen 1080p Fullhd , Anthem Mrx500
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page