Frohlich's remodeled room - Page 2 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #31 of 55 Old 05-23-2011, 06:27 PM
Senior Member
 
generalpride66's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 219
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frohlich View Post

Thank you for the kind words gentlemen. I can not take credit for the remodel job as I outsourced it to my contractor. This was their 3rd job at our house and they have always done nice work. I did do all the wiring myself after everything was framed but before the dry wall went up. The biggest pain was wiring the av cabinet as there is no rear or side entry. Had to basically run all the wires ahead of time before the equipment was in and then do the av equipment last.

id be wayyyy to afraid of screwing something up if i did that... im glad it worked out for you. Im in the process of purchasing a home the thought of wiring the theater alone is scaring me
generalpride66 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #32 of 55 Old 05-24-2011, 06:09 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
Frohlich's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Cincinnati
Posts: 1,834
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 128
Quote:
Originally Posted by generalpride66 View Post

id be wayyyy to afraid of screwing something up if i did that... im glad it worked out for you. Im in the process of purchasing a home the thought of wiring the theater alone is scaring me

I had everything mapped out ahead of time and all the supplies bought. I thought I could do it in a few hours and it turned into 10+ hours just for the speaker wire. I had to run the speaker wire for 7 speakers, the subwoofer cable, dual HDMI runs,etc...all in wall. Then there was the act of installing all the speakers in the wall and ceiling and then organizing the AV cabinet. Took me over 20 hours I am sure...but it was all worth it
Frohlich is offline  
post #33 of 55 Old 05-24-2011, 07:09 PM
Senior Member
 
generalpride66's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 219
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frohlich View Post

I had everything mapped out ahead of time and all the supplies bought. I thought I could do it in a few hours and it turned into 10+ hours just for the speaker wire. I had to run the speaker wire for 7 speakers, the subwoofer cable, dual HDMI runs,etc...all in wall. Then there was the act of installing all the speakers in the wall and ceiling and then organizing the AV cabinet. Took me over 20 hours I am sure...but it was all worth it

wow, you have greater patience then i could ever imagine,
generalpride66 is offline  
post #34 of 55 Old 07-07-2011, 12:06 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
Frohlich's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Cincinnati
Posts: 1,834
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 128
Well, I had ordered the 65vt30 about a month ago then cancelled the order since it was back ordered and now placed the order again yesterday. It already shipped...no getting cold feet this time I guess. Should have picks up next week. Anybody want a slightly used 65vt25 at a good price
Frohlich is offline  
post #35 of 55 Old 08-06-2011, 11:18 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
Frohlich's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Cincinnati
Posts: 1,834
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 128
Well, I have had the 65vt30 for several weeks now and finally got around to posting some updated pics.





Frohlich is offline  
post #36 of 55 Old 08-06-2011, 02:22 PM
AVS Special Member
 
pcweber111's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: In a van, down by the river.
Posts: 3,553
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 261
Beautiful, I love the look of your room. Very clean, lots of light, and the tv takes center stage. How do you like the performance of the new tv?
pcweber111 is online now  
post #37 of 55 Old 08-07-2011, 02:58 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
Frohlich's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Cincinnati
Posts: 1,834
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 128
I had the 65vt25 before the vt30. I would not say there is a huge difference in performance. Mainly 1)thinner design 2)less heat generated 3)better blacks.
Frohlich is offline  
post #38 of 55 Old 10-21-2011, 06:20 AM
Member
 
mporlier's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Canada
Posts: 83
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Nice setup Frohlich... I love the Toro bag in your garage

Marc Porlier

As of Jan 2012 I no longer work for Barco. So my comments do not represent the views of my former employer but only my own.

Sincerely
mporlier is offline  
post #39 of 55 Old 10-21-2011, 07:47 AM
FOH
AVS Special Member
 
FOH's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Midwest
Posts: 4,737
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 206
Nice system, beautiful room, clean lines and wonderful colors. How's the sound? Those Thiels are very nice, high quality pieces. Acoustically, I'd think you could benefit from some treatments, have you explored any ideas? I'd hate the thought of disturbing the simple aesthetic beauty of the space, however well designed and implemented treatments can easily elevate the listening experience.


Nice room, congrats,...well done

------------------------------------
Flat, Deep, Clean, Linear, and Loud
------------------------------------
Active 16.8kw, 7.3 system
(3)Seaton Cat12C up front, (4)QSC K8 sides/rears
(2)Seaton SubM-HP, (4)18" IB
FOH is offline  
post #40 of 55 Old 10-21-2011, 08:33 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
Frohlich's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Cincinnati
Posts: 1,834
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 128
Quote:
Originally Posted by mporlier View Post

Nice setup Frohlich... I love the Toro bag in your garage

Thank you for the kind words. I keep the Toro handy to mow the area rug
Frohlich is offline  
post #41 of 55 Old 10-21-2011, 08:34 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
Frohlich's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Cincinnati
Posts: 1,834
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 128
Quote:
Originally Posted by FOH View Post

Nice system, beautiful room, clean lines and wonderful colors. How's the sound? Those Thiels are very nice, high quality pieces. Acoustically, I'd think you could benefit from some treatments, have you explored any ideas? I'd hate the thought of disturbing the simple aesthetic beauty of the space, however well designed and implemented treatments can easily elevate the listening experience.


Nice room, congrats,...well done

The Thiels are very nice. I was nervous about switching to in wall speakers but they sound excellent. We did place a much larger area rug in the room then the one in the original pictures and it helped with acoutics overall. I don't think acoustic panels would fly with the spousal unit
Frohlich is offline  
post #42 of 55 Old 10-21-2011, 11:23 AM
FOH
AVS Special Member
 
FOH's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Midwest
Posts: 4,737
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 206
The "spousal unit" would love the right ones.


Nice room.

------------------------------------
Flat, Deep, Clean, Linear, and Loud
------------------------------------
Active 16.8kw, 7.3 system
(3)Seaton Cat12C up front, (4)QSC K8 sides/rears
(2)Seaton SubM-HP, (4)18" IB
FOH is offline  
post #43 of 55 Old 10-30-2011, 12:12 PM
Senior Member
 
jeffbar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Washington, DC
Posts: 277
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Fine looking setup indeed!

I am having an addition built with a custom floor-to-ceiling shelfing system in the family room, which will double as a HT room. The TV and speakers will go in wall and against the wall of the shelving system.

I am interested in your TV and speaker locations. I want to arrange my center channel vertically, as you did. A couple of questions if you dont mind.

How much space is between the L and R speaker and are they at your ear level when you sit? (I imagine it sounds good). Do you have tweeters that angle up?

How far back are you sitting?

And how high does the top of your TV go? (My setup, for example, could have the top of the TV 68 inches off the ground). Do you get any strain when you view the TV or is it just as comfortable as your pre-reno days?
jeffbar is offline  
post #44 of 55 Old 10-30-2011, 07:34 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
Frohlich's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Cincinnati
Posts: 1,834
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 128
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffbar View Post

Fine looking setup indeed!

I am having an addition built with a custom floor-to-ceiling shelfing system in the family room, which will double as a HT room. The TV and speakers will go in wall and against the wall of the shelving system.

I am interested in your TV and speaker locations. I want to arrange my center channel vertically, as you did. A couple of questions if you dont mind.

How much space is between the L and R speaker and are they at your ear level when you sit? (I imagine it sounds good). Do you have tweeters that angle up?

How far back are you sitting?

And how high does the top of your TV go? (My setup, for example, could have the top of the TV 68 inches off the ground). Do you get any strain when you view the TV or is it just as comfortable as your pre-reno days?

For each of the LCR speakers, the tweeter is 24 inches off the ground for the 3 front speakers. The seperation left to righ is 26 inches (keep in mind this was dictate by the width between my two door openings). The bottom of the TV screen is 39 inches off the ground and the top is 76 inches off the floor. My seating position is about 13 feet from the screen. The TV height feels very natural and no strain whatsoever. I would say the speakers (tweeter) is a little bit under ear height but again with 13 feet of space to my ears, it sounds just fine (to me).

I will say I am 95% ht (gaming , movies, tv) and 5% music. While I do enjoy sitting and listening to music, I just don't spend as much time as I would like doing it and therefore isn't as critical to me.
Frohlich is offline  
post #45 of 55 Old 10-30-2011, 07:47 PM
Senior Member
 
jeffbar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Washington, DC
Posts: 277
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Tks Frohlich. My wife would love that kind of setup.

Wish I could afford Thiels but I will have to settle for Def Techs or Monitor Audios that cost just a third as much. The tweeters are moveable, though, so I can just angle them up slightly.

Glad to know you don't get any eye or neck strain. I would like to array my in-walls like yours but still wrapping my head around the idea.

Forgot to ask earlier, but you seem to have a good 6-8 inches between the bottom of the TV and top of the speakers. How come you didn't bring them closer (speakers higher or TV lower). Was that mainly an aesthetics decision?
jeffbar is offline  
post #46 of 55 Old 10-31-2011, 04:53 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
Frohlich's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Cincinnati
Posts: 1,834
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 128
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffbar View Post

Tks Frohlich. My wife would love that kind of setup.

Wish I could afford Thiels but I will have to settle for Def Techs or Monitor Audios that cost just a third as much. The tweeters are moveable, though, so I can just angle them up slightly.

Glad to know you don't get any eye or neck strain. I would like to array my in-walls like yours but still wrapping my head around the idea.

Forgot to ask earlier, but you seem to have a good 6-8 inches between the bottom of the TV and top of the speakers. How come you didn't bring them closer (speakers higher or TV lower). Was that mainly an aesthetics decision?

Truth is I had to guess a little bit since the TV was in the basement during the remodel. So I had to cut the holes for the speakers in a rush as the remodel was ahead of schedule and I basically had one night after work to install the speakers before the contractor came back the next day. Played it safe as I didn't want the speakers too close to the TV.

Good luck with your project. I am sure it will turn out great.
Frohlich is offline  
post #47 of 55 Old 12-01-2011, 01:15 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
Frohlich's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Cincinnati
Posts: 1,834
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 128
Not sure if anybody actually reads these threads. I have been struggling with the color scheme of my equipment. I have considered replacing the NAD M25 amp with a black colored amp just to make it match the other equipment. I have no performance issues with the amp at all...matter of fact I love the performance. Would that bug anybody else or is just my OC disorder for HT shining through

Frohlich is offline  
post #48 of 55 Old 12-01-2011, 01:42 PM
Senior Member
 
thaxphenomx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 216
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frohlich View Post

Not sure if anybody actually reads these threads. I have been struggling with the color scheme of my equipment. I have considered replacing the NAD M25 amp with a black colored amp just to make it match the other equipment. I have no performance issues with the amp at all...matter of fact I love the performance. Would that bug anybody else or is just my OC disorder for HT shining through

Then you would have to replace your Xbox with a black one and the baskets too :-)
thaxphenomx is offline  
post #49 of 55 Old 12-01-2011, 02:02 PM
Advanced Member
 
jnnt29's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: North Jersey
Posts: 789
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 50
The amp looks like it goes with the room colors. maybe you could have a smoked glass door made for the equipment bay which may lessen the contrast of the equipment colors.
jnnt29 is offline  
post #50 of 55 Old 12-01-2011, 02:12 PM
Senior Member
 
roadster-s's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Montreal Canada
Posts: 365
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by jnnt29 View Post

maybe you could have a smoked glass door made for the equipment bay which may lessen the contrast of the equipment colors.

X2 Agree
roadster-s is offline  
post #51 of 55 Old 12-01-2011, 02:26 PM
Member
 
Nuz1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 60
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I must have the same disorder. My 2 channel rig is multi colored even though it's the same brand. (Reference amp vs. a special edition player) Like you, I'm pleased with performance but have been considering a change to make it more coordianted in appearance... But about the time I turn up the volume and listen, I think to myself maybe I'll just enjoy the sound and spend my money building my hi-res music collection instead. That'll tide me over for a while. But I'm sure the upgrade bug will win out at some point.
Nuz1 is online now  
post #52 of 55 Old 12-01-2011, 03:08 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
Frohlich's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Cincinnati
Posts: 1,834
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 128
Quote:
Originally Posted by thaxphenomx View Post

Then you would have to replace your Xbox with a black one and the baskets too :-)

THank you everyone for the comments so far. I had thought about going all black but that would require further changes beyond the amp. I organized the equipment so gray/white/silver is at the bottom and black is at the top. Some days the color issue doesn't phase me...other days my "problem" kicks in and I think it doesn't look right. The first step is admitting you have a problem
Frohlich is offline  
post #53 of 55 Old 12-01-2011, 06:46 PM
Advanced Member
 
jnnt29's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: North Jersey
Posts: 789
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 50
And you have a great support group to help you when the problem starts again!! LOL
jnnt29 is offline  
post #54 of 55 Old 12-02-2011, 04:31 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
Frohlich's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Cincinnati
Posts: 1,834
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 128
Quote:
Originally Posted by jnnt29 View Post

And you have a great support group to help you when the problem starts again!! LOL

My support group has the same dysfunction I do. Like a crack addict getting help in a crack house...great
Frohlich is offline  
post #55 of 55 Old 12-02-2011, 04:57 AM
Advanced Member
 
jnnt29's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: North Jersey
Posts: 789
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frohlich View Post

My support group has the same dysfunction I do. Like a crack addict getting help in a crack house...great

Come to think about it I'm on my 4th AVR in 2 years and 3rd center channel speaker! Oh no you right!!! Isn't great!
jnnt29 is offline  
Reply What's Your System Configuration

User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off