Projector/Screen
Panasonic PT-AE4000U Projector
Elite Cinema235 Series 138 Cinegrey 2.35:1 CinemaScope Screen

Audio/Video Sources
Yamaha RX-V863 7.2 Channel Receiver
Samsung BD-P3600 Blu-Ray Player
DirecTV HR20-700 HD DVR
Harmony H659 Remote
(Next Upgrade, Emotiva 3-Channel pre-amp)

Speakers - All tSc speaker config (since discontinued brand)
Floorstanders - The Speaker Company TST-2
Center Channel - The Speaker Company TC2
Side Surrounds - The Speaker Company TSS-B Dipole
Surround Backs - The Speaker Company TSAT-1000
Subwoofers - The Speaker Company T300 (x2)

First, I want to apologize for the bad photos. I just have a point and shoot, and I am not a good photographer at all. The room looks much better in person than I can make it look in these pictures. And I obviously have a problem with wires on either side of the AV stand. If you have a suggestion to hide those, please share.

Like many of you, I started out in this hobby with a crappy HTIB system and just worked my up over time. When my wife and I moved into this Townhouse, the basement had PROJECTOR written all over it the second I laid eyes on it. With the false ceiling for easy wire routing and wide front wall, all I could think about was 7.2 surround and Projector. Recently we decidedor I did , it was time to make the upgrade. I sold the Samsung 61 DLP and stuff, now fast forward nearly two years since we moved in, and here is the result

After my Projector research, I decided that I wanted to do a CIH setup with a Cinemascope screen. Why? Because I HATE black bars and had less than zero interest in masking. I wanted the full theater like movie affect, bottom-line. I can tell you it was the best decision I could have made. I went with nearly the largest screen I could fit on my wall and still have room for my speakers. At over 10.5' wide, I accomplished my goal. With the help of the Panasonic PT-AE4000U projector, watching those black bars automatically zoom off the screen and the screen being filled is absolutely magical. Sitting only 13ft from the screen, it really gives us that big movie feel. My wife had simply no clue it would turn out like it has and she absolutely loves it.

Some brief history on the speakers. The Speaker Company is now out of business. They were an internet direct marketer owned by D&M Holdings, aka Boston Acoustic. The speaker line was purchased from Sapphire Audio, who also went out of business, so they are exactly the same as the Sapphire's except I got them WAY cheaper. When tSc was rumored to be going under, they did a 40% off fire sale of their entire remaining inventory. I got the towers for $270 shipped! And while I was at it, I bought the rest of the speakers I needed to complete my system, except for the 2nd T300 sub I recently purchased off Craigslist. I have about $1300 into the entire 9 speakers since I did buy some at full retail. I think for the money I spent, I have some pretty phenomenal sound. My guests are typically blown away. I know one can spend 10 times that, but that's simply not in my budget. For what I have into it, I am very happy with the sound.

So the room is just your typical basement, not a dedicated theater by any means. We use it for movies and I watch regular HDTV stuff on there as well. In preparation for the projector, my wife painted the downstairs in some darker colors and it really made the room look a whole lot better. We would like to replace some of the furniture in the room, but that will come later. Until we can do a dedicated theater someday, this will have to do. Comments, positive and negative welcome. Thanks for looking.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 Old 05-11-2011, 06:02 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Wow, that is an awesome townhome basement HT.
post #3 of 24 Old 05-11-2011, 07:28 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gelinas View Post

Wow, that is an awesome townhome basement HT.

Thanks much, I have spied your beautiful setup several times. I am sure it will be exciting to move into a new house and start anew. Good luck!
post #4 of 24 Old 05-11-2011, 08:34 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsantanni View Post

Thanks much, I have spied your beautiful setup several times. I am sure it will be exciting to move into a new house and start anew. Good luck!

Thank you sir.

Hopefully we will be able to have a projector in our new home
I'm really digging your HUGE screen
post #5 of 24 Old 05-11-2011, 08:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 138
Looks great. Very nice space and set-up. Bet it sounds and looks great for movies.
post #6 of 24 Old 05-11-2011, 09:46 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gelinas View Post

Thank you sir.

Hopefully we will be able to have a projector in our new home
I'm really digging your HUGE screen

If you have room for it, definitely do it! It really changes the viewing experience dramatically.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frohlich View Post

Looks great. Very nice space and set-up. Bet it sounds and looks great for movies.

Thanks man! Yours is another room I have looked at with envy also! It looks fantastic the changes you made!
post #7 of 24 Old 05-11-2011, 12:20 PM

Nice set-up, i think thats the same colors I have on my walls.

That screen is humongous!
post #8 of 24 Old 05-11-2011, 04:23 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by YoMaMa84 View Post

Nice set-up, i think thats the same colors I have on my walls.

That screen is humongous!

Another guy with an awesome looking room. Thanks for the compliment! And you're right the paint colors look identical. Its a Behr paint, can't remember the color off hand. We painted the screen wall a shade darker with the same palette. Turned out decent especially compared to what it was.
post #9 of 24 Old 05-11-2011, 05:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 75
Very cool!
post #10 of 24 Old 05-11-2011, 08:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 140 Post(s)
Liked: 290
As a fellow Townhouse owner, I must say this setup is specatular. I must ask, on that 138" screen, what is your favorite film to watch?
post #11 of 24 Old 05-12-2011, 06:12 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrolicBeast View Post

As a fellow Townhouse owner, I must say this setup is specatular. I must ask, on that 138" screen, what is your favorite film to watch?

Thanks dude, your awesome living soon setup is another room I have marveled over!

I've only had this projector for a month. So far my favorite two movies we have viewed have been the action flick Street Kings and the old classic Heat. My favorite movies types are action, thriller, crime, and gangster movies.
post #12 of 24 Old 05-12-2011, 11:51 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Nice setup. How are the dipoles. I'm thinking of changing to these for my surrounds.
post #13 of 24 Old 05-12-2011, 03:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 123
Fellow townhouse owner here. Great job man! I'm diggin' - it big time. You're a lucky man and I'm envious of your basement.

Love that huge scope screen and speakers. A shame they stopped making them. What's the gain on that screen? Surprisingly the AE4K does a pretty good job of lighting up these big ass scope screens.

Nice HT!

The above post is 100% medically accurate

31 Days of Horror:

post #14 of 24 Old 05-12-2011, 04:16 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by gingus View Post
Nice setup. How are the dipoles. I'm thinking of changing to these for my surrounds.
They work great. I think they are best for the side surrounds, not surround backs so as long as you are using them for that, they will work awesome.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wizzack View Post
Fellow townhouse owner here. Great job man! I'm diggin' - it big time. You're a lucky man and I'm envious of your basement.

Love that huge scope screen and speakers. A shame they stopped making them. What's the gain on that screen? Surprisingly the AE4K does a pretty good job of lighting up these big ass scope screens.

Nice HT!
Thank you very much! The screen is a 1.0 gain and you are right the Panny has no problems lighting that screen. I made sure to mount it as close as I could for Max brightness. So far its working great. Thanks for the compliment.

And dude, your room is absolutely awesome. Your room was the deciding factor that I could light that screen up. Thanks!
post #15 of 24 Old 05-13-2011, 06:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 53
Very nice setup, I'll bet it looks and sounds great. I didn't realize there were so many townhouse owners on here. My townhouse basement is multipurpose as well. I hear you re the pics, I don't think mine do my room justice either. Thats a nice pj and screen you have there. I painted my screen on, had to keep it to 108 inches but I'm happy with it.

post #16 of 24 Old 05-13-2011, 07:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 31
Very Nice set up!!

We have Very similar speakers (probably the SAME exact speakers other than mine has a blue tweeter and you got a way better deal than me on em ). I've had mine for almost 7 years and still enjoy them.

You did great Job putting this room together by the way!
post #17 of 24 Old 05-14-2011, 04:54 AM
CIH USER

Quoted: 126 Post(s)
Liked: 195
Very nice setup tsantanni

Frank

post #18 of 24 Old 05-16-2011, 05:27 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by g_bartman View Post

Very nice setup, I'll bet it looks and sounds great. I didn't realize there were so many townhouse owners on here. My townhouse basement is multipurpose as well. I hear you re the pics, I don't think mine do my room justice either. Thats a nice pj and screen you have there. I painted my screen on, had to keep it to 108 inches but I'm happy with it.

It seems there is a lot of Townhouse owners here. Good for people to know you can still put together a killer system no matter the space or where you live. My townhouse happens to be 3000 sq ft, and the basement was perfect for it. My first TH, not so much. If I didn't find that 138" screen on Amazon for $356, I probably would have painted too. Enjoy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunga99 View Post

Very Nice set up!!

We have Very similar speakers (probably the SAME exact speakers other than mine has a blue tweeter and you got a way better deal than me on em ). I've had mine for almost 7 years and still enjoy them.

You did great Job putting this room together by the way!

Thanks! Glad you still like your speakers after all this time. I always get upgradeitis and wonder if I should sell and buy something else, but then I pop in a movie like Green Hornet last night with amazing sound effects and I go...nah! What I have is great (for me) IMO!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franin View Post

Very nice setup tsantanni

Thanks Franin. I love your dedicated theater room btw. Someday hopefully I will be able to build my own theater room! Rooms like yours with that impressive array of equipment and room treatments sure is inspiration.
post #19 of 24 Old 05-16-2011, 06:19 AM
CIH USER

Quoted: 126 Post(s)
Liked: 195
Quote:
Originally Posted by tsantanni View Post

Thanks Franin. I love your dedicated theater room btw. Someday hopefully I will be able to build my own theater room! Rooms like yours with that impressive array of equipment and room treatments sure is inspiration.

Thank you for the kind words tsantanni

Frank

post #20 of 24 Old 06-03-2011, 08:26 AM

tsantanni,
How was your experience with elite? I'm looking at new screens and even though I have connections for SI, Stewart, etc. It's still more than I want to spend, but I don;t wnt to sacrifice too much.

You went witht he cinegrey, did you check out other versions?

Robert
post #21 of 24 Old 06-03-2011, 09:58 AM - Thread Starter

Well I was screen shopping one day and came across the 138" screen on Amazon for $356 shipped. Was too cheap to pass up. I have some ambient light issues during daytime viewing and I also was led to believe that a grey screen improves black level performance so that is why I went with the grey.

Overall, I am very pleased with the purchase. The aluminum frame went together easily and is very good quality. The screen tensioned perfect and I have not had one single issue with it whatsoever. If you are ever in the Savage area, you are more than welcome to come and check it out.
post #22 of 24 Old 06-05-2011, 05:29 PM

Very nice. The bar at the back is ice on the cake.
post #23 of 24 Old 06-05-2011, 05:59 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by qiong View Post

Very nice. The bar at the back is ice on the cake.

Mmmmm - cold, wet cake...

post #24 of 24 Old 06-05-2011, 08:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 17
tsantanni:

Notice that your from the twin cities, I'm in New Hope, your theater looks awesome! I'm looking to buy a Panasonic PT-AE4000U projector as well, I'm looking for the biggest electric AT screen this projector would work the best with, my sitting distance will be 12-15 feet away, probably doing exactly what your doing, switching between 16:9, 2.35:1, and not needing any masking, my room colors are close to yours as well, thanks.
Reply What's Your System Configuration

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page