Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 44 Old 06-02-2011, 11:56 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Hey all,

I've really enjoyed looking through everyone's configurations here and it's lead to some updates to my own setup. We moved into a new (rental) home two months ago, and the much larger space was no match for my $550 Samsung HT-AS720 home theater in a box. So with that, I got myself a new 5.1 setup. And that in turn led to some furniture upgrades; the old coffee table was blocking the lower half of the new floorstanding speakers from the listening position, so I went with a new low-profile (and narrower) table.

I asked a ton of questions here and the AVSforum members helped me with literally every new component; the speakers, subwoofer, receiver, speaker stands and even the speaker wire. I really couldn't have done this without the help of this forum and the people on it. So with that said, here's my current configuration:

Samsung PN50B650 50" Plasma
Samsung BD-UP5000 Duo Blu-ray/HD DVD player
Pioneer VSX-521-K receiver
Pioneer SP-FS51-LR floorstanding speakers
Pioneer SP-BS21-LR bookshelf speakers
Emotiva Ultra 10 subwoofer
Sanus EF-28B 28" Euro speaker stands
Apple TV (2nd generation), xBox 360

And here's the pics. Thanks for looking!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
for my home theater setup
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 44 Old 06-02-2011, 12:03 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I'm envious of the much better pictures you managed of the speakers than I did. For the price, they're awesome, aren't they?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 44 Old 06-02-2011, 12:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 203 Post(s)
Liked: 314
This setup is very classy. Great choice with that Emotiva Ultra-10. I've got an ultra-12 powering my upstairs media room, and it gets LOW. The price makes it an absolute STEAL!!!

The Build:
| The System:
| The Video Series:

Social:
|
|
|
|
post #4 of 44 Old 06-02-2011, 04:37 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 50
You have done a great job, it look very clean. Thanks for sharing!

My meager set up

post #5 of 44 Old 06-02-2011, 04:45 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pp6000v2 View Post

I'm envious of the much better pictures you managed of the speakers than I did. For the price, they're awesome, aren't they?

Hey your pictures helped me decide to get the Pioneers! And the speakers are awesome, but to be honest I was worried for a few days about the FS51 floorstanders, as the sound wasn't great at first. Perhaps I ran MCACC too soon, but it's first EQ sounded considerably worse than with the EQ disabled, and it took me a few days to figure out it wasn't the speakers. Re-running MCACC after about a week resulted in drastically improved sound. And then getting the old coffee table out of the way made a world of difference as well; with the old table I couldn't even see the lower half of the speakers from the couch, which obviously didn't bode well for the sound. But now everything sounds great! I'm very happy with the pioneer set, especially since i got all of the speakers for half price through an employee discount.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrolicBeast View Post

This setup is very classy. Great choice with that Emotiva Ultra-10. I've got an ultra-12 powering my upstairs media room, and it gets LOW. The price makes it an absolute STEAL!!!

Thanks BrolicBeast. Yeah I'm happy with the sub. It was by far the most expensive component of my new 5.1 setup, but with the money I saved on the Pioneer gear I wasn't going to go cheap on a sub (although obviously you can spend way more than $299 on a sub, with hearing the Emotiva I wonder why one woud need to). The Emotiva Ultra 10 is great; Gotta have those low frequencies and clean musical bass!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jnnt29 View Post

You have done a great job, it look very clean. Thanks for sharing!

Thanks, and thanks for looking!

post #6 of 44 Old 06-02-2011, 08:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 82
Very clean. I like it a lot. Good job.

post #7 of 44 Old 06-02-2011, 10:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spanbauer View Post

I'm very happy with the pioneer set, especially since i got all of the speakers for half price through an employee discount.

Yes, my buddy's Best Buy employee discount was very nice to be able to tap. I still need the sub to go with it though...

post #8 of 44 Old 06-03-2011, 10:25 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pp6000v2 View Post

Yes, my buddy's Best Buy employee discount was very nice to be able to tap. I still need the sub to go with it though...

I'm not even sure what these speakers sound like without a sub to be honest. Some day I'll have to unplug the sub and re-run MCACC just to see what they sound like (the receiver won't allow me to simply disable the sub).

post #9 of 44 Old 06-03-2011, 10:35 AM

Another MN guy...cool. Very nice budget living room setup! I am usually not a fan of that yellowish color paint, but it looks great in that space. Good work.

post #10 of 44 Old 06-03-2011, 11:40 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsantanni View Post

Another MN guy...cool. Very nice budget living room setup! I am usually not a fan of that yellowish color paint, but it looks great in that space. Good work.

Thanks tsantanni. It's a rental so the color of the walls wasn't a choice of ours. Although some of my pictures make them appear yellow, they're actually very close in color to the wall your "this theater features" poster is hung along.

post #11 of 44 Old 06-03-2011, 11:44 AM

We rent our townhouse too and have painted nearly every room! Hope they aren't pissed someday haha.

post #12 of 44 Old 06-04-2011, 10:18 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsantanni View Post

We rent our townhouse too and have painted nearly every room! Hope they aren't pissed someday haha.

Lol, well maybe they won't remember what color the rooms were originally

post #13 of 44 Old 06-16-2011, 03:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
WOW...You dont see Pioneer speakers in here often. They make some great ones though..Looks nice and clean.
post #14 of 44 Old 06-16-2011, 04:14 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikieson View Post

WOW...You dont see Pioneer speakers in here often. They make some great ones though..Looks nice and clean.

Thanks! Yeah there aren't nearly as many people with these Pioneer speakers as there ought to be; they sound damn fine and for $385 msrp for the fronts, rears and center they're a steal. And considering i got them at half price, I highly doubt I could have gotten better bang for the buck.

post #15 of 44 Old 06-16-2011, 04:16 PM

very nice set up, where did you get the cabinet?

www.aaron.tweed.talktalk.net
post #16 of 44 Old 06-16-2011, 04:21 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedytweedy View Post

very nice set up, where did you get the cabinet?

www.aaron.tweed.talktalk.net

Thanks! The tv stand I got in early 2008 from Racks and Stands. Oddly, it has gone up in price since then. Here's the product link:

http://www.racksandstands.com/Prepac...0-PRP1166.html

post #17 of 44 Old 06-16-2011, 04:24 PM

thanks, love the look if it
post #18 of 44 Old 06-16-2011, 05:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spanbauer View Post

Thanks! Yeah there aren't nearly as many people with these Pioneer speakers as there ought to be; they sound damn fine and for $385 msrp for the fronts, rears and center they're a steal. And considering i got them at half price, I highly doubt I could have gotten better bang for the buck.

YEP...Pioneer makes some very hiend speakers and everything in-between. I love their A/V receivers also.
post #19 of 44 Old 08-27-2011, 02:33 PM
Advanced Member

Howdy,
Nice looking ET Center, where did you get it?
The shelf that you have the Pioneer VSX 521 on, is it adjustable?
I have the Pioneer Elite VSX 53 which is much larger than the 521 and it looks like the fit is pretty tight on the 521.
Do you worry about heat dissipation for your receiver?

Thanks,

Bud B
post #20 of 44 Old 08-27-2011, 05:25 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bud B View Post
Howdy,
Nice looking ET Center, where did you get it?
The shelf that you have the Pioneer VSX 521 on, is it adjustable?
I have the Pioneer Elite VSX 53 which is much larger than the 521 and it looks like the fit is pretty tight on the 521.
Do you worry about heat dissipation for your receiver?

Thanks,

Bud B
Thanks, Bud B! The tv stand is from racks and stands, here's the link:

http://www.racksandstands.com/Prepac...0-PRP1166.html

The shelves are adjustable, but the configuration I currently have them in is unfortunately the only way I could fit that monstrous center channel speaker in the shelf using the pre-drilled holes. If you're not trying to fit one those, you'll have a lot more options.

I don't worry about heat because the receiver has several inches of free space behind it. That said, once i get a thinner blu-ray player I will likely drill custom holes to lower the shelf that the VSX-521-K sits on even more.

post #21 of 44 Old 08-27-2011, 09:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 265
I really do like how nice and clean your system looks. It's not cluttered, fits into the room, and I bet it sounds fantastic. Doesn't hurt that you take pretty good pictures. Keep us updated of any changes!

post #22 of 44 Old 08-28-2011, 10:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 61
Nice and clean, bet is sounds great. Looks like may be you mains are toed in a bit too much? What kind of camera did you use? I think mine does not do my system justice.

post #23 of 44 Old 08-28-2011, 03:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 265
If you follow the line from the right speaker tweeter to the couch it points straight the middle which, if you're watching alone is perfect. Now, if you're watching with someone else it might help to toe the speakers out a bit but eh I doubt he cares much lol.

post #24 of 44 Old 08-28-2011, 06:04 PM

Liked: 16
Your system looks great!! It fits the aesthetics of the room very well. I also want to know what camera you used. "outstanding"

post #25 of 44 Old 08-28-2011, 08:40 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Thanks everybody! The photos were taken with a Nikon D5000 using the 18-55mm 3.5 kit lens for the wide shots and the Nikor 35mm 1.8 Prime lens for the close-ups. I adjusted color, white balance, levels etc in a software program called Aperture which Apple makes. This year's equivelant to that camera model is the Nikon D5100.

Thanks for the recommendation on the angle of the speakers. The way the speakers are toed in is what the manual recommended, and i prefer it as it puts more distance between the "blow hole" (whatever you call it) in the back of the speakers and the wall. Least importantly, I think they look better this way than straight

post #26 of 44 Old 09-05-2011, 09:43 PM

I like it a lot. Very classy!
post #27 of 44 Old 09-05-2011, 09:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 21
Very nice. I think if there were an article in a magazine for those speakers, your pictures of those speakers should be in it. The "blowhole" is called a port. But blowhole actually fits quite nicely considering what it does haha

For those looking into getting Energy speakers, or upgrading their current Energy setup, here are some reviews I've written that may help:
  (haven't updated in a while, but include Energy Take Classic 5.1, RC-10, CF-70, and CC-10)

post #28 of 44 Old 09-05-2011, 09:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 101
those speakers look nice! How do you like em? very clean set up! good job!

-Kevin

No subwoofer I've heard has been able to produce the bass I've experienced in the Corps!

Must..stop...buying...every bluray release...
post #29 of 44 Old 09-15-2011, 07:48 AM

How is the surround sound with the speaker so close to your sitting position?
I ask because in my new setup I will probably have to set things up like this.

Thanks

Paradigm PW-2200
Samsung PN64D550
Epson 6500UB
Panasonic Viera TH-42PZ80U

post #30 of 44 Old 09-17-2011, 12:37 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frichard View Post

How is the surround sound with the speaker so close to your sitting position?
I ask because in my new setup I will probably have to set things up like this.

Thanks

It's not ideal to have the speakers where I have them, but so long as you have a receiver with room calibration (like MCACC on the Pioneers) it gets the job done. Ideally the rear speakers would be much farther back to eliminate the "speaker firing in my ear" effect ruining the illusion that surround sound is supposed to create.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dagr8est View Post

I like it a lot. Very classy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macstatic View Post

Very nice. I think if there were an article in a magazine for those speakers, your pictures of those speakers should be in it. The "blowhole" is called a port. But blowhole actually fits quite nicely considering what it does haha

Quote:
Originally Posted by pokekevin View Post

those speakers look nice! How do you like em? very clean set up! good job!

-Kevin

Thanks everybody! I like the speakers very much, pokekevin

Reply What's Your System Configuration

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page