dedicated theater - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 12 Old 06-19-2011, 11:49 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 14
I received a lot of advice on here about gear so I wanted to share the results!!! i would love to hear some comments and any suggestions on anything else that may be needed - though it will be a bit before more is added -

This is a dedicated room (the bonus room of the house) - the previous owner did all the painting, built the risers, sliding panels and window insulation to block 100% of the light and reduce the heat in the room. He also installed the projector mount and had set it up for the cables to run through the attic to the av equip and he left the rear ceiling mounted speakers.

we are using all hdmi cables (amazon brand for the shorter cables - great price and quality) and the HDMI that is in the attic is from Blue Jean and is 35ft 23.5 gauge.

I have an optical cable used in conjunction with the HD tuner as the sound was not coming though 100% of the time with the hdmi (this is not uncommon with this unit based on the AVS thread. We do not have cable and I was surprised that HD tuners are not readily avail. I found the centronics on AVS.

I made use of my CC points to pay for a some of the gear and i noted that next to what they were used on or the company that i bought the item from.

Here is the gear I have:

Projector: Panasonic AE4000 - projector people

mount to attach the the pj and the pole coming from the ceiling: peerless PRG-UNV - local home theater store

Screen: 106" DaLite Cinema Contour High Contrast (gray) so i can watch with the lights on without a lot of loss in image quality. - projector people

BluRay: LG BD570 (also used to stream netflix) Christmas gift

AVR: Yahamaha RX-V667 - CC points

Tuner - Centronics ZAT 502 - their site

Antenna - RCA 1650 mounted on the wall - amazon

Speakers:
The rears are made by infinity and i know nothing about them since they were left behind but they sound pretty good. any input on those would be great (pic below)

FR and FL - JBL L880 - CC points
Center - JBL CL2 - amazon

No sub - i would like one but i am usually only watching movies that i would want to have the added experience at night when the kids are asleep and the current setup is more than enough that i do not need to have the house vibrate....when i gain more cc points i may add one

Berkline chairs - stargate cinema

Lights are dimable on remote

Remote: Logitech 700 - amazon controls all equip and the lights

I also have the wii hooked up and zone 2 by the pool.

the a/v stand is a Lovan Affinity Pro 5 - Racks and Stands

I love having a room like this - my kids enjoy it as well. movies and wii are great. netflix if pretty good and the hd tv look great - though we do not watch too much.

Here are a few pics - enjoy!

Here is one of the Rears - they sound decent and i have no plans on replacement but i have no info or model names -

All the windows have these panels to block the light and reduce the heat.

to block the window panels

This is behind one of the sliding screens

the a/v equip is behind the other - it is all hidden so i am not concerned with overall cord management - just as long as i can figure out where it all attaches then i am all set. the sliding walls are black cloth so the remote works

wall mounted antenna above a/v equip

i like the covers off but since my kids like to hide things in the speakers i keep them on.

for the rears and zone 2

and finally some screen shots -

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 06-20-2011, 05:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 255 Post(s)
Liked: 284
Looks great. Well done.
post #3 of 12 Old 06-20-2011, 06:53 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Very cool set-up. I bet you love JBL L880! Amazing fo both AV and HI-FI!

Believe me, it will make a big difference if you add a 12" sub. JBL L8400P will be a good fit.
post #4 of 12 Old 06-20-2011, 06:55 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked: 28
looks fun!

My Setup
Stage 1 - Enthusiasm
Stage 2 - Realism
Stage 3 - Obsession
Stage 4 - Acceptance

Which stage are you on?
post #5 of 12 Old 06-20-2011, 08:14 AM - Thread Starter

that jbl sub is the one i am considering. i bounces around in price on amazon from as high as 1k to as low as $499 - this will hopefully be added in the next year or so.

I do not have any experience with amps or other power devices that I have seen on many systems here. is this something I should look into - everything sounds great i think i am ok unless there is some greater benefit.
post #6 of 12 Old 06-20-2011, 11:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked: 198
Great setup. That center channel looks like a beast!

The above post is 100% medically accurate

31 Days of Horror: 2014 2013 2012 2011 2010 2009 2008
post #7 of 12 Old 06-20-2011, 04:28 PM

Looks great. But i do agree,a bigger sub will do more performance in a room like that,
maybe a 12" or 15" will do fine. Enjoy your theater.

Hsu vtf-15
Sv Sound etc.
post #8 of 12 Old 06-20-2011, 05:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 265
Those surrounds are the Modulus series, btw. Can't tell whether they're series I or II though. CMMD drivers, low distortion (for their size) and a pretty decent tweeter. Plus a built-in wall bracket. All around good value. The subs sucked though lol. I love the (somewhat) older Infinity stuff. I had a chance to get a whole Intermezzo series once for cheap. Should have jumped on it. Went with Klipsch instead so I guess I'm not too disappointed lol.
post #9 of 12 Old 06-21-2011, 08:31 PM

Your system looks great; I wish I could have my own theater room like this. In the photos it looks like the center channel is on the ground and my only suggestions to make your experience that much better is to get the center channel closer to the screen, maybe on a stand or something. To have it pointing at the listening position should make a big difference. And of course add a subwoofer when you get the time. Again great set up

post #10 of 12 Old 06-22-2011, 11:21 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcweber111 View Post

Those surrounds are the Modulus series, btw. Can't tell whether they're series I or II though. CMMD drivers, low distortion (for their size) and a pretty decent tweeter. Plus a built-in wall bracket. All around good value. The subs sucked though lol. I love the (somewhat) older Infinity stuff. I had a chance to get a whole Intermezzo series once for cheap. Should have jumped on it. Went with Klipsch instead so I guess I'm not too disappointed lol.

thanks for the info - i am glad they are decent enough since i have no plans of replacing them :-) they sounds pretty good to my ears. I have never had a set up like this (my last set up was a 36" sony xbr tube from 2000 and it is still going strong downstairs) so i am loving it.
post #11 of 12 Old 06-22-2011, 11:23 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by slemmon View Post

Your system looks great; I wish I could have my own theater room like this. In the photos it looks like the center channel is on the ground and my only suggestions to make your experience that much better is to get the center channel closer to the screen, maybe on a stand or something. To have it pointing at the listening position should make a big difference. And of course add a subwoofer when you get the time. Again great set up

good idea - i did not even think of positioning the center higher. I will add a stand soon to it is more level with my ears.
post #12 of 12 Old 06-23-2011, 07:15 PM - Thread Starter

here is another pic - i strung the clear plastic covered Christmas lights at the inside edges of the decorative wood panels. I am not sure if you can tell in the first image of the theater i posted but you can see them through the floating wall in the image of the av equip. it has a nice effect when the over head lights are off - i will get a pic of what it looks like but here is a close up - it took me a bit to figure out as i needed them to be all the way on the inside of the panels as far away from the screen as possible so that the light would not hit the screen. I trued Velcro, double sided sticky tape and ended up buying these black plastic rings that has a hole for a screw and simply slipped them over the lights and screwed them into the wood so the lights stayed flush where i wanted them.

these were also positioned so that they would be behind the frame of the floating wall so that you cannot see the lights when they walls are closed.
Reply What's Your System Configuration

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page