Home theater/Video game/HTPC/2 Channel rig (Mitsubishi, MartinLogan, Marantz, & DIYMA) - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By gtgray

post #1 of 22 Old 07-21-2011, 02:23 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked: 61

Equipment in the pics:
Hitachi 51F59A
Marantz SR7200
MartinLogan ElectroMotion ESL
MartinLogan Source
MartinLogan Encore TF
DIYMA R12's in a 3cu ft test box ported to 30hz off a hidden 800 watt amp. I need to get the box redone to be more HT friendly.
XBMC HTPC (Zacate, 4GB RAM, and 13TB storage)
Toshiba HD-A3
JVC VCR
Xbox 360
Playstation 3
Wii
Logitech Harmony 700 (not pictured)

Stuff on the A/V rack:
Lord of the Rings Platinum Series Special Extended Edition Collector's Gift Set Argonath, Gollum, and Minas Tirith sculptures
Domo
LittleBigPlanet 2 Collectors Edition bookends and Sackboy.
Killzone 3 Helghast Edition helmet and sniper figure
God of War 3 Ultimate Edition Pandora's box
Grand Theft Auto 4 Limited Edition lock box

Next up are some acoustic panels/foam.

Plans in the long term: Cleaning up some of the wires a little more, switching the ML Encore TF to one of ML ElectroStat center channel speakers (Matinee, Motif, or Stage etc), maybe getting a newer receiver with HDMI switching and room correction/EQ software, and adding some art print reproductions on the walls (I'm thinking some Pieter Bruegel the Elder stuff will be quite nice).

Update (5/5/2012):

Added:
Mitsubishi WD-73640
IKEA Lack TV Unit
32 sq ft of Auralex DST-114

Next up, cable management and new center channel.

My Home Theater/Video Gaming/HTPC/2 Channel rig (Mitsubishi, MartinLogan, Marantz, DIYMA, and others)

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 Old 07-21-2011, 10:39 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Wow that setup looks amazing, bet it sounds as good as it looks to.
post #3 of 22 Old 07-21-2011, 11:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked: 93
Rocking that old school Hitachi, cool.
post #4 of 22 Old 07-22-2011, 09:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked: 198
Sweet HT you have there. My buddy has that same TV - great PQ on that bad boy! That ML setup looks wicked.

The above post is 100% medically accurate

31 Days of Horror: 2014 2013 2012 2011 2010 2009 2008
post #5 of 22 Old 07-22-2011, 09:53 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by drewTT View Post

Rocking that old school Hitachi, cool.

I wouldn't exactly call a TV made in 2007 old school but CRT tech sure is but I still like it. I like how you hid your wires in your system. I wish I could hide mine stealth like that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wizzack View Post

Sweet HT you have there. My buddy has that same TV - great PQ on that bad boy! That ML setup looks wicked.

I should really get it ISF calibrated. One of these days hehe. Thanks, your setup looks very nice too. I wondered about those ED/Swan speakers, they sure are beautiful to look at. I just love that veneer and wish my ML's had something like that. I looked at them when I was shopping around back in Feb. but all I could see is my 4 year old knocking them off some speaker stands. :/ I dig that HTPC case too.

My Home Theater/Video Gaming/HTPC/2 Channel rig (Mitsubishi, MartinLogan, Marantz, DIYMA, and others)

post #6 of 22 Old 07-26-2011, 05:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked: 198
Quote:
Originally Posted by |Tch0rT| View Post

I should really get it ISF calibrated. One of these days hehe. Thanks, your setup looks very nice too. I wondered about those ED/Swan speakers, they sure are beautiful to look at. I just love that veneer and wish my ML's had something like that. I looked at them when I was shopping around back in Feb. but all I could see is my 4 year old knocking them off some speaker stands. :/ I dig that HTPC case too.

Funny you say that because he almost has his done too. I drool over those rich colors and black levels every time I see it.

The w6's sound good but I'd trade with you in a heartbeat! I'm in a similar situation but with dogs. Let's just say I didn't want to give him a target.

The above post is 100% medically accurate

31 Days of Horror: 2014 2013 2012 2011 2010 2009 2008
post #7 of 22 Old 08-17-2011, 10:30 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

I was the 3rd place winner of the MartinLogan Professor Vojtko contest and this is the video of the winning questions:

post #8 of 22 Old 08-17-2011, 11:48 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked: 28
reminds me of my setup when I was in graduate school I like it

Just tidy up the wiring

My Setup
Stage 1 - Enthusiasm
Stage 2 - Realism
Stage 3 - Obsession
Stage 4 - Acceptance

Which stage are you on?
post #9 of 22 Old 08-17-2011, 05:47 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

The wiring is on my "to do" list (I can sense a Monoprice order soon...). The wiring was much worse. LOL

post #10 of 22 Old 10-01-2011, 11:32 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

I moved my stuff over to be more symmetrical with the room. Before it was slightly over to the right. I also added some Auralex DST-114 foam tiles. I picked up 32 1'x1' 2" foam tiles for $60. I'm only using 12 right now. The foam tiles seemed to tame some of the high end harshness (mostly only noticeable in metal). Here's some quick pics I got with my phone. Now I need to make an order to Monoprice to get some longer cables so I can hide the wires. I moved everything but the A/V rack and now more wires are visible. ugh I hate cable management...

I am thinking about adding 3 more to each side (4x4 instead of 2x3) to make them wider.

post #11 of 22 Old 07-01-2012, 10:14 AM

Liked: 15
Great setup, but have to say overall I love me some DOMO!!!
post #12 of 22 Old 07-02-2012, 06:42 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Thank you kind sir! biggrin.gif

post #13 of 22 Old 04-25-2013, 04:05 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Gear update,

Wii U (replaced the Wii, not pictured)
Marantz MM9000 amp
Alto APX1500 amp (sub amp)

Planned upgrades for later dates:
More hard drives
ESL Center
New equipment rack

post #14 of 22 Old 06-12-2013, 04:49 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

I can't seem to get good lighting in here for my camera on my Galaxy S3 and flash just screws everything up but whatever:

Mitsubishi WD-73640 w/ 3D Emitter
Pioneer RA-E64B (Audio Rack)
IKEA Lack (TV stand)
Marantz SR7200 (Receiver)
Marantz MM9000 (5 Channel Amp)
Alto APX1500 (Sub Amp)
Pioneer GR-777 (EQ/Spectrum Analyzer, not actually in the signal path. I just like the Spectrum Analyzer)
MartinLogan ElectroMotion ESL (Front Speakers)
MartinLogan Source (Rear Speakers)
MartinLogan Encore TF (Center Channel)
Two DIYMA R12 subwoofers in a 3cu ft test box ported to 30hz (behind TV)
HTPC (AMD E-350, 4gb RAM, 13tb of HDD space)
Netgear WNR3500L (Router)
Comcast SMC 8014 (Gateway Modem)
Auralex DST-114 (32sq ft foam acoustic tiles, behind front speakers)
Logitech Harmony 700
Xbox 360 w/ Kinect
Playstation 3 w/ PS Eye/Move
Wii U
Sackboy
Killzone 3 Sniper (the Helghast helmet is on a bookshelf in the room)
nVidia 3D Vision 2 Emitter (gaming rig is in the same room)

Stuff on the left rack:
Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim Alduin Statue
Lord of the Rings Platinum Series Special Extended Edition Collector's Gift Set Argonath, Gollum, and Minas Tirith sculptures
LittleBigPlanet 2 Collectors Edition bookends
Diablo Skull w/4gb USB Soulstone
Domo
Customizable Aperture Science Handheld Portal Device (Atlas markings on it currently, this version can be all 3 versions)
Diablo 3 Collector's Edition
God of War 3 Ultimate Edition Pandora's box
Grand Theft Auto 4 Key To The City
Grand Theft Auto 4 Limited Edition lock box

post #15 of 22 Old 06-12-2013, 07:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked: 180

Awesome setup, love your gear and all your stuff on the rack!biggrin.gif

TV - Panasonic 55GT50 THX, Main Speakers - Klipsch Gallery G28's, Center Channel- Klipsch RC-52, Sub-Klipsch Sub 12, Surround - Klipsch RS-52 II Bluray/Game - HTPC/PS3, Receiver - Onkyo RC-360, HTPC- Intel Core i3, HDMI,Windows 7,XBMC,Bluray,7 TB, Video Processor -Darbee

http://www.avsforum.com/photopost/sh...hp?cat=2236715
post #16 of 22 Old 06-20-2013, 01:11 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Thank you! smile.gif

post #17 of 22 Old 11-21-2013, 11:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 44
I also have a 73" dlp that I love and the same Ikea unit to sit it on. I wish it were wider.

I LOVE MOVIES!!!!!!!!!!!!

post #18 of 22 Old 02-14-2014, 10:00 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Picked a factory refreshed Motif from Audio Advisor.

900x900px-LL-8b9f5f09_20140214_194345.jpeg

Tested out some 5.1 music (Opeth - Blackwater Park, Anathema - We're Here Because We're Here, and Within Temptation - Black Symphony BluRay) which I felt was kinda meh since the Encore TF stuck out like a sore thumb with that sort of stuff. I can say the Motif completely fixed that, I can't really tell where the EM ESL's end and the Motif picks up and vice versa. Very happy. biggrin.gif

Upgraded my HTPC not too long ago to a AMD A8-6500 and color calibrated the Mits DLP with ArgyllCMS + madVR.

Almost finished with my setup... need to get a new sub box and a new pre/pro, thinking of an Emotiva UMC-200 since it's cheap and has a nice PEQ to use with REW. I'm debating bass traps but man that would be a tight fit behind my AV rack.

post #19 of 22 Old 08-09-2014, 09:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by |Tch0rT| View Post
Picked a factory refreshed Motif from Audio Advisor.

Upgraded my HTPC not too long ago to a AMD A8-6500 and color calibrated the Mits DLP with ArgyllCMS + madVR.

I have the Mits 92" WD-92840 and the Mits displays really benefit from external color calibration. I just installed a new lamp in mine and will do a color calibration when the lamp has about 200 hours on it. This is my fourth lamp. The 92" needs young lamps, so I go through them. Thank goodness for ChromaPure and its auto-calibration with the Lumagen Radiance. Only does 125 color points but that makes tremendous difference in color accuracy. Also SpectraCal and ChromaPure are constantly improving their autocalibration routines. They get damned near perfect results even with just 125 color points. What I would love to see is a PCIe card that allowed multiple HDMI inputs. External boxes give great results but it quite expensive. Weird to be in this thread and be accused of being cheap ass if you don't do things the OP's way. It is clear you have spent a ton of money over the years. My 92" Mits and the Radiance were 6K, my speakers 2.5K and my AVR 1K add in the Darbee and the HTPC and you have 10k in my living room alone. I have full systems in multiple rooms. I have at least 6 HTPCs around the home and probably 6 more that are HTPC capable...... So M***K is really misreading and insulting the audience here big time. So I would guess I have conservatively spent 30k on consumer electronics in the last 9 years.
|Tch0rT| likes this.

Just another blank signature.
post #20 of 22 Old 08-09-2014, 09:54 AM

Liked: 0
good info,They get damned near perfect results even with just 125 color points. What I would love to see is a PCIe card that allowed multiple HDMI inputs. External boxes give great results but it quite expensive.[IMG]http://*******/pQ9tzh[/IMG]thanks
post #21 of 22 Old 08-09-2014, 06:20 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Since I last updated I've added:

Tascam PA-R200 receiver (rebadged Integra DTR-30.4)
Crown XTi-2002 amp (a channel died on my Alto APX1500 amp)
Ideal-Lume Bias Light
Cerwin Vega VS-80 for rear surrounds I had laying around so I'm at 7.2 now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtgray View Post
I have the Mits 92" WD-92840 and the Mits displays really benefit from external color calibration. I just installed a new lamp in mine and will do a color calibration when the lamp has about 200 hours on it. This is my fourth lamp. The 92" needs young lamps, so I go through them. Thank goodness for ChromaPure and its auto-calibration with the Lumagen Radiance. Only does 125 color points but that makes tremendous difference in color accuracy. Also SpectraCal and ChromaPure are constantly improving their autocalibration routines. They get damned near perfect results even with just 125 color points. What I would love to see is a PCIe card that allowed multiple HDMI inputs. External boxes give great results but it quite expensive. Weird to be in this thread and be accused of being cheap ass if you don't do things the OP's way. It is clear you have spent a ton of money over the years. My 92" Mits and the Radiance were 6K, my speakers 2.5K and my AVR 1K add in the Darbee and the HTPC and you have 10k in my living room alone. I have full systems in multiple rooms. I have at least 6 HTPCs around the home and probably 6 more that are HTPC capable...... So M***K is really misreading and insulting the audience here big time. So I would guess I have conservatively spent 30k on consumer electronics in the last 9 years.
Looks like that thread got locked down... (original thread for reference for other members: Anyone ever wish they did their HTPC right the first time? (or better?))

I do cheap out a little bit on the HTPC hardware at least on the CPU and video card. Since I don't use the higher levels of madVR upscaling I don't need to go all out. The hardware cost and power consumption cost isn't worth it. IMO the color correction feature is much more useful and noticeable.

I know I messaged you almost a year ago about color calibrating the Mits DLP's, back then I didn't understand color calibration as well as I do now (and of course there's always more to learn! Gonna plunk down the $$ for Michael Chen's videos at some point: http://www.tlvexp.ca/store/video-cal...aining-videos/). I now see how non linear these sets are. They NEED some sort of 3DLUT to correct the color. You tune to one saturation point and it messes up all the others. Trying to correct the blue in these sets, is futile as the internal CMS for blue can't correct it. I calibrated it to the best I could with the internal CMS, I oversaturated it just a tad bit so ArgyllCMS + dispcalGUI with madVR can shrink it back into spec. I got a 9400+ color patch set from sillysally in the madVR thread, I'm going to try that out after I get a new lamp. The Lumagen's a bit too expensive for my tastes, great stuff but hard to plunk down $1500+ when I paid $900 for the TV! A PCIe card with HDMI inputs would be neat but you wouldn't be able to use madVR to correct the color since it's part of the rendering with the video playback software. I do wish the eeColor LUT box would drop a little bit in price, maybe when HDMI 2.0 is more common... but considering the power of the device $700 isn't too bad. Anyway once these Mits sets are color calibrated the pic is very nice. The Darbee is the cherry on top too!

gtgray have you gotten a bias light for your 92840? I picked up an Ideal-Lume about a month ago and it's great! It really helps with the perceived color and keeping your eyes from getting fatigued, here's a crappy pic of my 74640:

http://cinemaquestinc.com/Ideal-Lume.htm

Your 92840 probably needs the 2 light model though.

I don't want to think about the money I've spent on AV gear the last 3 years LOL! I'm still not quite done with my setup. I'd like to get some rear surrounds that tonally match my ML's a bit better than the Cerwin Vegas I've had since the late 90's, kinda eying some used ML models. I'm also tempted to add 2 more subs and a Crowson transducer (at least I have one channel left on the Alto APX1500 I can use!).

Last edited by |Tch0rT|; 08-09-2014 at 06:26 PM.
post #22 of 22 Old 08-25-2014, 05:15 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Update:

MartinLogan LX16 for back surrounds

Reply What's Your System Configuration

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page