post #271 of 356 Old 12-21-2012, 06:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked: 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrolicBeast View Post

Craig, thanks for introducing me to the Behringer NU1000DSP. The trigger has been pulled on the Behringer, along with a Crowson Transducer system for my theater. I’m going to follow your decision to utilize the Oppo’s Sub output. The only other source I’d want to use the Crowsons for—gaming—can be solved by simply connecting my systems to each of the Oppo 105’s two HDMI inputs and let the DACs do their job. You’re a genius for this solution. I’ll probably need to PM you to discuss proper delay settings on the Behringer, as that is something I know very little about.
Happy Holidays.
Way to go on the Crowson. It will be a fun ride. Trust me.

I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass...and I'm all out of bubblegum .
My System

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #272 of 356 Old 12-21-2012, 09:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 101 Post(s)
Liked: 284
Quote:
Originally Posted by MIkeDuke View Post

Way to go on the Crowson. It will be a fun ride. Trust me.

I'm very very existed for their arrival man! I have two transducers coming with about 15 isolation feet (for the pressure points across my three-seat arrangement.
post #273 of 356 Old 12-21-2012, 10:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I'm very very existed for their arrival man! I have two transducers coming with about 15 isolation feet (for the pressure points across my three-seat arrangement.)
smile.gif

I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass...and I'm all out of bubblegum .
My System

post #274 of 356 Old 12-22-2012, 08:30 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 283
Quote:

Craig, thanks for introducing me to the Behringer NU1000DSP. The trigger has been pulled on the Behringer, along with a Crowson Transducer system for my theater. I’m going to follow your decision to utilize the Oppo’s Sub output. The only other source I’d want to use the Crowsons for—gaming—can be solved by simply connecting my systems to each of the Oppo 105’s two HDMI inputs and let the DACs do their job. You’re a genius for this solution. I’ll probably need to PM you to discuss proper delay settings on the Behringer, as that is something I know very little about.
Happy Holidays.
smile.gif

I have every confidence that you'll love your Crowson transducers. Mike and I both really enjoy ours. PM me if you want to discuss delays, but know that I am in Phoenix, AZ for the next week spending the holidays with my kids and grandkids. I may not be able to get back to you right away. Have a great holiday season!!!

Craig

Lombardi said it:
Perfection is not attainable, but if we chase perfection we can catch excellence."

My System

post #275 of 356 Old 01-01-2013, 06:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Happy New Years Craig.

Hometheatergeek

aka AL
----------
My Current System
post #276 of 356 Old 01-03-2013, 12:38 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by hometheatergeek View Post

Happy New Years Craig.

Hi Al,

A Happy New Year to you too! I've been away from the forum for a while. I went to Phoenix to visit kids/grandkids over the holidays, and then had to attend an unexpected funeral in Dubuque, IA, (my 84 y/o aunt passed.) Not the best start to the New Year, but hopefully it's all up hill from here. smile.gif

Craig

Lombardi said it:
Perfection is not attainable, but if we chase perfection we can catch excellence."

My System

post #277 of 356 Old 02-11-2013, 11:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Hey Craig.
I was just in Franin(Frank) 's thread and it looks like he has "heights". You indicate on your front page that you have "wides". Any benefit for either? Is it room dependent? Can you just share why you added "wides" instead of "heights". Is there ever a point in time when you would add heights?

My System

post #278 of 356 Old 02-11-2013, 03:25 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Hi Mike,

To view Audyssey's logic for Wides over Heights, read this document:

Audyssey DSX Guidance-1.doc 46k .doc file

There is also a very good explanation of height channels. Since you know my room, you'll understand why Heights would not work well in my room.

Looking forward to seeing you at the GTG! smile.gif

Craig

Lombardi said it:

My System

post #279 of 356 Old 02-11-2013, 04:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by craig john View Post

Hi Mike,

To view Audyssey's logic for Wides over Heights, read this document:

Audyssey DSX Guidance-1.doc 46k .doc file

There is also a very good explanation of height channels. Since you know my room, you'll understand why Heights would not work well in my room.

Looking forward to seeing you at the GTG! smile.gif

Craig
B. Wide versus Height Channel Speakers
1. Wide channel speakers will make the most noticeable improvement, as they provide cues that are significantly more important than the Height channels. The Wide channels are really part of the front speakers; they are not considered surround speakers.
a. The recommended placement for the Wide speakers is at a ±60° azimuth (angle), but there is a ±10° placement tolerance which still provides very good results.
b. To get the most benefit from the Wide speakers, it is important to have them at the same height as the front channel speakers.
1) Placing the Wide channel speakers at a different height from the front channel speakers may influence how you perceive left-to-right pans.

III. Height Channel Speaker Placement

A. Audyssey recommends the ideal Height channel speaker location as ±45° azimuth and a 45° elevation (from ear height). This potentially places the Height speakers close to the seating area, depending on your ceiling height. This guidance presents several challenges with clearances and aesthetics.
1. A room with 8 foot ceilings and the listeners’ ears 44 inches from the floor would place the Height speakers about 5 ½ feet forward of the listening position.
2. In rooms with average ceiling heights, the potential for bumping your head on the bottom of a ceiling-mounted speaker is probable.
3. The sight of a speaker hanging from the ceiling in the middle of a room may not be appealing in a multi-use space.

OK, So looking at those two sections, and the points in bold, I am guessing that it was more fesable for you to do the the wides "correctly" instead of trying to do the heights more "correctly". That paper seems to perfer wides over heights anyway if there is a choice involved. My room could not acommodate wides the right way it may not even be able to accomodate heights in the right way because of my room treatments. The only other thing I could do, and I probably would not do it any way is put what I would call "sides" They would go over my closet and my window. I am not sure if that would add anything to pans that happen in the movie but I doubt I could do heights or wides the right way. I am also really looking forward to hanging out at the GTG as well.

My System

post #280 of 356 Old 02-11-2013, 04:43 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Dolby Heights, (Dolby PLIIz), might work in your room:
http://www.dolby.com/us/en/consumer/technology/home-theater/dolby-pro-logic-iiz-details.html
http://www.dolby.com/us/en/professional/technology/home-theater/dolby-pro-logic-iiz.html

They would go on the wall directly above your L/R's. You could use the same Focal speakers we used for your surrounds. Your pre/pro is Dolby Height capable, so it would just be a matter of the new speakers and wiring.

Craig

Lombardi said it:

My System

post #281 of 356 Old 02-12-2013, 04:47 AM
AVS Special Member

I was just joking about adding heights. You know who would really have a fit with that tongue.gif. Plus, I have limited space since I have the Tri Traps in the corners and there really would be no way to put the "directly" above my mains. The only place I could do on the inside of the Tri Traps on the front wall but then they would not be right above my mains. They would be more to the inside of them. Plus, We have the cables looking halfway decent now. There would be no easy way to run the cables cleanly. I am cool with just the basic 5.1 setup. It sounds really good as it is. I was just wondering why you did what you did that's all, Did I get it right why you did what you did? Again, really looking forward to the GTG smile.gif.

My System

post #282 of 356 Old 02-12-2013, 06:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I was just joking about adding heights. You know who would really have a fit with that tongue.gif. Plus, I have limited space since I have the Tri Traps in the corners and there really would be no way to put the "directly" above my mains. The only place I could do on the inside of the Tri Traps on the front wall but then they would not be right above my mains. They would be more to the inside of them. Plus, We have the cables looking halfway decent now. There would be no easy way to run the cables cleanly. I am cool with just the basic 5.1 setup. It sounds really good as it is. I was just wondering why you did what you did that's all, Did I get it right why you did what you did? Again, really looking forward to the GTG smile.gif.

You know—you could a actually pull off height channels if you got some in-ceiling speakers with tweeter-guidance toward main LP. I’m looking forward to hearing what Craig’s width channels do in his room. If they really add presence, I’d be willing to get the Legacy Signature SE’s instead of the Focus SE’s, and use the funds saved to place additional speakers in the width space. I think heights are certainly possible for you though, if yo ureally wanted to.
post #283 of 356 Old 02-12-2013, 06:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

You know—you could a actually pull off height channels if you got some in-ceiling speakers with tweeter-guidance toward main LP. I’m looking forward to hearing what Craig’s width channels do in his room. If they really add presence, I’d be willing to get the Legacy Signature SE’s instead of the Focus SE’s, and use the funds saved to place additional speakers in the width space. I think heights are certainly possible for you though, if yo ureally wanted to.
Focal has plenty of in ceiling speakers but I don't think any have tweeters that can be "guided" to you. To be honest, I am not sure of any speaker that has a tweeter that you can rotate towards the listener. I was just day dreaming. I not sure if it would be worth the effort. I just stick with my 5.1 setup. It sounds pretty good now as Craig and Dennis can attest to smile.gif.

My System

post #284 of 356 Old 02-16-2013, 03:21 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked: 185
Quote:

OK, So looking at those two sections, and the points in bold, I am guessing that it was more fesable for you to do the the wides "correctly" instead of trying to do the heights more "correctly". That paper seems to perfer wides over heights anyway if there is a choice involved. My room could not acommodate wides the right way it may not even be able to accomodate heights in the right way because of my room treatments. The only other thing I could do, and I probably would not do it any way is put what I would call "sides" They would go over my closet and my window. I am not sure if that would add anything to pans that happen in the movie but I doubt I could do heights or wides the right way. I am also really looking forward to hanging out at the GTG as well.

Just to add Audyssey DSX is definitely no good for heights it duplicates what the fronts are doing Its sounds all good but the problem that occurs is when a vocal is mixed into the L/R front speaker you get an echo effect one example is SW EP 3 intro bit when the pilots say "realese the Sfoils " you get an echo effect. Ive spoken to Chris about this and he is aware of it but he says there is not much he can do when the mixers apply the voice in the F/L speaker. If you do ever consider it Mike the best for heights is IIz, works very well. smile.gif

Frank

post #285 of 356 Old 02-16-2013, 06:12 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

To be honest, I am not sure of any speaker that has a tweeter that you can rotate towards the listener.

Sonance virtuoso 834dr do.

Frank

post #286 of 356 Old 02-16-2013, 07:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franin View Post

Sonance virtuoso 834dr do.
Just checked their website. The one you mentioned is a "legacy" speaker but they do seem to a number that have a tweeter that pivits. The only thing is they seem to be mostly, if not all inwall speakers and I don't know if I want to that way. I will probably just continue to slum with my standard 5.1 setup biggrin.gif.

My System

post #287 of 356 Old 02-16-2013, 08:29 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

I will probably just continue to slum with my standard 5.1 setup biggrin.gif.

cool.gif

Frank

post #288 of 356 Old 02-21-2013, 06:54 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I own an Integra 80.1 and my video "twitches" when I run HDMI signals throught the preamp from Sony BDP and Dircet TV sources. There are no audio issues. Any suggestions from a fellow Integra owner? Nice setup, by the way.
post #289 of 356 Old 02-25-2013, 04:48 AM
AVS Special Member

OK. Just had a little GTG at Craig's house again. Yep, it his system still kicks ass. The sound is just so incredible and all around you. The dynamic range is just crazy. Craig, I don't know if you can, but can I somehow get a copy of that Dark Side of The Moon we were listening to? Because that was just mind blowing. Now on my system the SACD sounds really good an the LP also sounds really good. But on your system, it was a new experience. The best example I can give is that in the beginning of the CD, when you have the blending of all of the sound with the clocks and and cash registers AND the people talking, it was amazing. That's the track "speak to me" I can honestly say that I was able to understand more of what each person was saying. I mean, some parts are always clear, like the one line "I don't know, I was really drunk at the time." But there are other lines that were not as clear every time I have listened to that record. On your system, I heard, and could make out EVERY LINE and EVERY WORD that was being said by all the different people. I would love to get a copy of that for my system. Just so I can compare. But besides that, all the other demos, music and movies were just outstanding. I saw the new Total Recall at a friends house before and thought it sounded OK. At your house, it was freaking amazing. Plus, The Terminator clip, for sound, was just crazy. And both clips from Book of Eli were outstanding. Also, your video is also just insane. Watching the Avatar Clip and Alice in Wonderland clips was just breathtaking, I hate to use such flowery language, but that's what it was. Your screen is so big and the picture quality is so good, Plus, I would be remiss if I did not say again, how comfy your chairs are and that Crowson really adds that extra that puts you over the top. So again, I had a great time meeting everyone. It was great to see Jeff again and meet Matt for the first time. I look forward to having you come over with Dennis when I get the server setup.

My System

post #290 of 356 Old 02-25-2013, 05:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked: 106
I would have loved to have been there but it sounds like Craig is going to get people to spend their hard-earned money on audio toys, yet again!!! I'm sure, had I been there, I would have needed to go home and buy SOMETHING (like "wide" speakers or seat actuators or something else).

I really do want to hear your system but you aren't near any place I visit. Maybe someday.
post #291 of 356 Old 02-25-2013, 05:21 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioguy View Post

I would have loved to have been there but it sounds like Craig is going to get people to spend their hard-earned money on audio toys, yet again!!! I'm sure, had I been there, I would have needed to go home and buy SOMETHING (like "wide" speakers or seat actuators or something else).

I really do want to hear your system but you aren't near any place I visit. Maybe someday.
Yeah, like people don't demo YOUR system and walk out checking their wallets!!! biggrin.gif

Of course you're welcome any time, but you shouldn't wait for a visit to investigate the Crowson tactile actuators. They're one of the best additions I've ever made to my system. You didn't hear me say this, but I would accept lesser subwoofage before I would give up my Crowson's. eek.gif

Now, go spend some money!!! biggrin.gif

Craig

Lombardi said it:

My System

post #292 of 356 Old 02-25-2013, 05:40 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Quote:

OK. Just had a little GTG at Craig's house again. Yep, it his system still kicks ass. The sound is just so incredible and all around you. The dynamic range is just crazy. Craig, I don't know if you can, but can I somehow get a copy of that Dark Side of The Moon we were listening to? Because that was just mind blowing. Now on my system the SACD sounds really good an the LP also sounds really good. But on your system, it was a new experience. The best example I can give is that in the beginning of the CD, when you have the blending of all of the sound with the clocks and and cash registers AND the people talking, it was amazing. That's the track "speak to me" I can honestly say that I was able to understand more of what each person was saying. I mean, some parts are always clear, like the one line "I don't know, I was really drunk at the time." But there are other lines that were not as clear every time I have listened to that record. On your system, I heard, and could make out EVERY LINE and EVERY WORD that was being said by all the different people. I would love to get a copy of that for my system. Just so I can compare. But besides that, all the other demos, music and movies were just outstanding. I saw the new Total Recall at a friends house before and thought it sounded OK. At your house, it was freaking amazing. Plus, The Terminator clip, for sound, was just crazy. And both clips from Book of Eli were outstanding. Also, your video is also just insane. Watching the Avatar Clip and Alice in Wonderland clips was just breathtaking, I hate to use such flowery language, but that's what it was. Your screen is so big and the picture quality is so good, Plus, I would be remiss if I did not say again, how comfy your chairs are and that Crowson really adds that extra that puts you over the top. So again, I had a great time meeting everyone. It was great to see Jeff again and meet Matt for the first time. I look forward to having you come over with Dennis when I get the server setup.
Hi Mike,

It was great to see you again yesterday. I'm glad you enjoyed yourself. Sorry you got stuck in the worst seat in the house for the beginning of the day, but at least you got the sweet spot for a number of the demo's. biggrin.gif

I'll be happy to send you a copy of that PF disc. Just shoot me your address. I know I have it in an old e-mail or PM, but I could search for hours trying to find it. As you said, that disc is AMAZING! The quadraphonic recording is absolutely incredible. We've all heard those songs a million times, but to hear the true artist's intent with the spatial presentation of the surround envelope is, (as Dennis described it), a "revelation".) It's like hearing that whole thing again for the first time. That really is one of my favorite pieces of content in my collection.

After you left, I pulled out The Eagles, Farewell 1 Tour. I have it on HD-DVD, and it is the only reason I keep my HD-DVD player in my system. (Fortunately, it comes out tomorrow on BluRay. http://www.amazon.com/Farewell-Live-From-Melbourne-Blu-ray/dp/B00AR1G3FS This is also one of my favorite pieces of content in my collection. Even if you have it on DVD, you should get it on BluRay. The image quality is FAR superior and the BluRay has the DTS-MA track.) Dennis and I were both singing along to the songs. It's just a really fun concert to watch.

Thanks again for all the kind words about my system. I've been building this system since 1986 when I got my first "big screen TV." It's been a work in progress ever since. I can say that I am *VERY* happy with where it is right now.

I'm looking forward to your experience with the media server. If you and Dennis get that all worked out, that may be my next upgrade path. As you saw yesterday, changing shiny disc's gets old, and having everything at your fingertips on a server would be an awesome upgrade. We'll stay in touch as you guys move forward with that.

Anyway, keep enjoying that awesome system of yours.

Craig

Lombardi said it:

My System

post #293 of 356 Old 02-25-2013, 05:56 AM
AVS Special Member

I remember the first time I went Ice Skating at Rockefeller Center in NY—it was a highly anticipated experience that was not soon forgotten. I had a similar experience yesterday: Craig's system.

About a month ago, I visited Dennis’ (DMark1) home in PA, and got introduced to the world of Legacy Audio (View my impressions of Dennis' (DMark1) legacy systems here). Yesterday, I took a trip back up to PA to check out Craig’s (Craig John) system—and I do believe my mind has been blown. In the words of Diana Krall: “If you could be so kind, to help me find my mind smile.gif ” for my mind was all over the place after yesterday. The speakers’ setup is essentially ideal—even the tweeters are the same height scross the Left, Center, and Right channels (done with careful stand design on the parts of Dennis and Craig). Let me also say that normally, listening at Reference levels fatigues me, and my ears begin to feel uncomfortable—Craig’s silk-dome tweeters are so smooth, that when the volume was pushed between -2 and reference levels, I didn’t even know that we had hit reference levels yet, because my ears were just too busy having an ear-gasm to feel fatigued. There was no harshness at all. Interestingly, one of the primary things I wanted to listen for was the effect that wides had on the system—but, for the first 10 minutes or so, I was so floored by the overall sound, I kept forgetting to listen for the width channels and was just surrounding by the performers. That is a testament to the quality of the system, as well as the utility of the width channels, as they can widen the soundstage without becoming obvious. Craig’s RS55 is also a stunning performer and really helps put the finishing touch on the full envelopment of the viewer into the experience. As Mike mentioned, Total Recall was insane. I watch that movie back when it was released with my Klipsch RF-82’s, and apparently—I had not actually heard the movie until yesterday. The experience was def8initely an improvement over my previous viewing of the film. We went over a lot of great audio and video demos and each one tickled my ears with joy.

On top of the awesome sound, I got to meet the mighty Mike (MikeDuke) and Jeff (Pepar)—both of whom were great to speak with; it was also great to see Dennis and Craig again, and Craig was a very gracious host, and mentioned that Jeff had given him advice in the early days of his setup, and I thought to myself “Anybody who can give Craig advice on home theater must be able to write an encyclopedia on the subject-matter…” because Craig has a superb knowledge base of all things HT. It also turns out we all have a passion for luxury cars and Mike let us know about BMW’s forthcoming re-alignment of models. (4-series? Yes they did!).

It’s difficult to put into words how everything coalesces so well in Craig’s theater. I mean—the treatments are well-executed, the width channels w/ DSX engaged were an absolute revelation ( I now must add wides to my speaker upgrade plan.), not to mentioned the TRIPLE Submersives that power the theater. Those Triad Platinums look great on the stands Dennis built, and they sound even better than they look. I could go on and on, but it’s best to bow out with this: When setting up my Legacy Focus SE/Marquis HD speakers, Craig’s system will be the bar against which I compare the audio. I will tweak, and position, and treat as necessary until I sit down in the sweet-spot and get an experience that tingles my spine the way Craig’s system did. Once that occurs—AVS Movie Night!
post #294 of 356 Old 02-25-2013, 07:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Hi Mike,

It was great to see you again yesterday. I'm glad you enjoyed yourself. Sorry you got stuck in the worst seat in the house for the beginning of the day, but at least you got the sweet spot for a number of the demo's. biggrin.gif

I'll be happy to send you a copy of that PF disc. Just shoot me your address. I know I have it in an old e-mail or PM, but I could search for hours trying to find it. As you said, that disc is AMAZING! The quadraphonic recording is absolutely incredible. We've all heard those songs a million times, but to hear the true artist's intent with the spatial presentation of the surround envelope is, (as Dennis described it), a "revelation".) It's like hearing that whole thing again for the first time. That really is one of my favorite pieces of content in my collection.

After you left, I pulled out The Eagles, Farewell 1 Tour. I have it on HD-DVD, and it is the only reason I keep my HD-DVD player in my system. (Fortunately, it comes out tomorrow on BluRay. http://www.amazon.com/Farewell-Live-From-Melbourne-Blu-ray/dp/B00AR1G3FS This is also one of my favorite pieces of content in my collection. Even if you have it on DVD, you should get it on BluRay. The image quality is FAR superior and the BluRay has the DTS-MA track.) Dennis and I were both singing along to the songs. It's just a really fun concert to watch.

Thanks again for all the kind words about my system. I've been building this system since 1986 when I got my first "big screen TV." It's been a work in progress ever since. I can say that I am *VERY* happy with where it is right now.

I'm looking forward to your experience with the media server. If you and Dennis get that all worked out, that may be my next upgrade path. As you saw yesterday, changing shiny disc's gets old, and having everything at your fingertips on a server would be an awesome upgrade. We'll stay in touch as you guys move forward with that.

Anyway, keep enjoying that awesome system of yours.

Craig
No problem Craig. Your system is what my system wants to be when it grows up tongue.gif. The server is going to be fantastic. I am guessing probably April or May for my server. By the time Dennis gets everything and the has a chance to set everything up, that seems like a good time frame. Dennis said that it should nit take that long for the OPPO to come in so when ever I order that, I will be set. I will probably order it in April because I need to build a little cushion in the old account tongue.gif. But when I do get everything, it will be awesome. Having that for your system will be out of this world. I am also looking forward to condensing some of my remotes with the tablet and remote app. I don't have that Eagles concert at all. So you can send me a copy of that disk and it will be the same as the version that you played? I guess it's not a DVD-A then? Is it just a regular CD just mixed differently. I will PM you my address as well as send you an email because you I like to make sure things get through.

My System

post #295 of 356 Old 02-25-2013, 10:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Quote:

Yeah, like people don't demo YOUR system and walk out checking their wallets!!! biggrin.gif

Of course you're welcome any time, but you shouldn't wait for a visit to investigate the Crowson tactile actuators. They're one of the best additions I've ever made to my system. You didn't hear me say this, but I would accept lesser subwoofage before I would give up my Crowson's. eek.gif

Now, go spend some money!!! biggrin.gif

Craig

You got that right Craig. I went right out and bought the Darblet almost right after I left Chuck's place. The Cats will have to wait a little while longer. biggrin.gif

Hometheatergeek

aka AL
----------
My Current System
post #296 of 356 Old 02-25-2013, 10:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 101
Craig is using DSX? No love for Pl2Z??

No subwoofer I've heard has been able to produce the bass I've experienced in the Corps!

Must..stop...buying...every bluray release...
post #297 of 356 Old 02-25-2013, 01:16 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Quote:

I remember the first time I went Ice Skating at Rockefeller Center in NY—it was a highly anticipated experience that was not soon forgotten. I had a similar experience yesterday: Craig's system.

About a month ago, I visited Dennis’ (DMark1) home in PA, and got introduced to the world of Legacy Audio (View my impressions of Dennis' (DMark1) legacy systems here). Yesterday, I took a trip back up to PA to check out Craig’s (Craig John) system—and I do believe my mind has been blown. In the words of Diana Krall: “If you could be so kind, to help me find my mind smile.gif ” for my mind was all over the place after yesterday. The speakers’ setup is essentially ideal—even the tweeters are the same height scross the Left, Center, and Right channels (done with careful stand design on the parts of Dennis and Craig). Let me also say that normally, listening at Reference levels fatigues me, and my ears begin to feel uncomfortable—Craig’s silk-dome tweeters are so smooth, that when the volume was pushed between -2 and reference levels, I didn’t even know that we had hit reference levels yet, because my ears were just too busy having an ear-gasm to feel fatigued. There was no harshness at all. Interestingly, one of the primary things I wanted to listen for was the effect that wides had on the system—but, for the first 10 minutes or so, I was so floored by the overall sound, I kept forgetting to listen for the width channels and was just surrounding by the performers. That is a testament to the quality of the system, as well as the utility of the width channels, as they can widen the soundstage without becoming obvious. Craig’s RS55 is also a stunning performer and really helps put the finishing touch on the full envelopment of the viewer into the experience. As Mike mentioned, Total Recall was insane. I watch that movie back when it was released with my Klipsch RF-82’s, and apparently—I had not actually heard the movie until yesterday. The experience was def8initely an improvement over my previous viewing of the film. We went over a lot of great audio and video demos and each one tickled my ears with joy.

On top of the awesome sound, I got to meet the mighty Mike (MikeDuke) and Jeff (Pepar)—both of whom were great to speak with; it was also great to see Dennis and Craig again, and Craig was a very gracious host, and mentioned that Jeff had given him advice in the early days of his setup, and I thought to myself “Anybody who can give Craig advice on home theater must be able to write an encyclopedia on the subject-matter…” because Craig has a superb knowledge base of all things HT. It also turns out we all have a passion for luxury cars and Mike let us know about BMW’s forthcoming re-alignment of models. (4-series? Yes they did!).

It’s difficult to put into words how everything coalesces so well in Craig’s theater. I mean—the treatments are well-executed, the width channels w/ DSX engaged were an absolute revelation ( I now must add wides to my speaker upgrade plan.), not to mentioned the TRIPLE Submersives that power the theater. Those Triad Platinums look great on the stands Dennis built, and they sound even better than they look. I could go on and on, but it’s best to bow out with this: When setting up my Legacy Focus SE/Marquis HD speakers, Craig’s system will be the bar against which I compare the audio. I will tweak, and position, and treat as necessary until I sit down in the sweet-spot and get an experience that tingles my spine the way Craig’s system did. Once that occurs—AVS Movie Night!

Matt,

I am truly humbled by this. redface.gif Your words are too kind. Thank you.

I just want to say a few things about the Wides. With a lot of content, I find the Wides to increase the sense of envelopment. They "fill in" a hole between the front soundstage and the side surrounds. They make the entire "surround soundstage" a seamless and cohesive whole; one that can be disconnected from the speakers and tied instead to the video image. Without them, there are times when the surround content can seem "attached to the side surround speakers", and not a seamless part of the whole. This may have something to do with the monopole nature of my side surrounds. Your Legacy side surrounds will be "multipolar" speakers. They may do a better job of filling in the gap between the fronts and the side surrounds. Another thing about the Wides is that they don't work well for *all* content. Some 2-channel content is not improved by adding the Wides. Also, you need to use some other form of processing on 2-channel content to be able to use the Wides, (PLIIx, DTS Neo, etc.) I suggest you start out with just the multipolar sides before you jump wholeheartedly into the Wides.
I'm just sayin' that before you commit to the Wides, I suggest you see how well the Phantom surrounds work, and see if you even need the Wides.

One other comment about the Phantom side surrounds... with them being multipolar, they fire a midrange speaker towards the front wall. You can get a "bounce" off the front wall that has the tendency to pull the surround image forward. (You get a similar bounce off the back wall which pulls the surround image back towards the rear of the room, but that's not nearly as problematic as pulling the image forward towards the front of the room. I suggest you acoustically treat the first reflection point for the side speakers on the front wall to reduce this reflection. Of course, that spot might be right were your screen is, so you may not be able to treat it.

Finally, the Phantoms have "boundary compensation" (BC) designed into their driver layout. If you're not wall mounting the Phantoms, you may want to ask Bill Dudleston about changing the BC. From the Legacy website:
Quote:
"Anytime you place a loudspeaker element near a boundary it is always accompanied by a reinforcement rise, then followed by a dip. The frequency of the dip is a function of the distance from the boundary. When I built the Phantom, I carefully positioned the 5.25" drivers very close to the wall to fill in the response -just where the 8" driver is subject to a dip in the frequency response.

This arrangement also enhances dispersion and prevents near field hot spots. Phantom is a diffuse field radiator that uses the wall to its advantage, yet provides great direct field clarity. The slopes in the baffles are key to the performance. They work great as side, rear, and height channels and can even be used as overhead channels on a sloped ceiling.

Consistent with the new Atmos (Dolby) standards, Phantom avoids the phasey dipole effect of the early days of home theater."
http://www.legacyaudio.com/products/view/phantom-hd/

Bill may be able to do something with the crossovers to impact the BC.

I can't wait to hear your Legacy speaker system. The next GTG is at your place when you get your Legacy speakers. smile.gif You've been "volun-told." biggrin.gif

Craig

Lombardi said it:

My System

post #298 of 356 Old 02-25-2013, 01:21 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Quote:

No problem Craig. Your system is what my system wants to be when it grows up tongue.gif.
That's funny!
Quote:

The server is going to be fantastic. I am guessing probably April or May for my server. By the time Dennis gets everything and the has a chance to set everything up, that seems like a good time frame. Dennis said that it should nit take that long for the OPPO to come in so when ever I order that, I will be set. I will probably order it in April because I need to build a little cushion in the old account tongue.gif. But when I do get everything, it will be awesome. Having that for your system will be out of this world. I am also looking forward to condensing some of my remotes with the tablet and remote app.
I'm looking to your lead on the server. Between you and Dennis, I'm sure you'll figure it out. if it works for you, I will probably go ahead and get one too.

Quote:

I don't have that Eagles concert at all.
Then I highly recommend you get the BluRay. I'd bet even your parents would love to watch it with you.
Quote:

So you can send me a copy of that disk and it will be the same as the version that you played? I guess it's not a DVD-A then? Is it just a regular CD just mixed differently. I will PM you my address as well as send you an email because you I like to make sure things get through.
It is a DVD-A, but it also has a regular DTS track on it. You'll want to listen to the Multi-Channel track though as that is the Hi-Rez track.

Craig

Lombardi said it:

My System

post #299 of 356 Old 02-25-2013, 01:23 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by hometheatergeek View Post

You got that right Craig. I went right out and bought the Darblet almost right after I left Chuck's place. The Cats will have to wait a little while longer. biggrin.gif
Yup, I doubt many people get out of Chuck's room feeling like they don't need an upgrade of some kind. eek.gif

Lombardi said it:

My System

post #300 of 356 Old 02-25-2013, 01:30 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by pokekevin View Post

Craig is using DSX? No love for Pl2Z??
I have Wides. I have no room for heights unless I use in-ceiling speakers:

Craig

Lombardi said it:

My System

Reply What's Your System Configuration

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page