post #361 of 363 Old 10-10-2014, 10:04 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 101 Post(s)
Liked: 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by MIkeDuke View Post
Hey Craig, price not withstanding, would you have to give up your sides and heights simply because the more affordable preamps don't have enough speaker outputs? In theory, you could do both if you were willing to spend the money right? I mean Atmos and your wide/height setup are not mutually exclusive are they? You could keep your 9 speaker setup as is and just add the four if you wanted to couldn't your? Or would the Atmos layout requirements make you move those to other spots.

Quote:
Originally Posted by craig john View Post
Hi Mike,

TBH, I haven't really looked that closely at all the options for Atmos. Nor have I looked at all the different processors and receivers. At this point, I know I would have to sacrifice at least my Wides to run Atmos, (unless I spent a ridiculous amount of money on a processor that will likely be obsolete in short order.) Sacrificing Wides just to add Overheads doesn't seem like a significant upgrade to me, and it certainly doesn't justify the huge investment I would need to make. In addition, I think there are still some issues with the HDMI spec and HDCP, (although admittedly I am not fully informed of all those details.)

At this point, IMO, it's not a mature enough technology, (yet), to warrant an investment, at least not from me. I will sit out the first round and wait to see how much better the 2nd generation processors are. In addition, I would like to see what DTS comes up with. For now, I'm quite content with 9.3 and Wides using DTS NeoX in my Marantz 8801.

How about you? Are you considering Atmos? It would probably be difficult to implement in your room with your LP against the back wall and your surrounds mounted up high on the side walls. But... where there's a will...

Craig

Currently, you can either do 7.x.4 or 9.x.2 with atmos receivers released thus far. So only 2 ceiling speakers with a 9 channel step. The most effective is with 4 ceiling speakers get the panning effect of any sound overhead.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

---------------------------------------------------------------
for sale/trade: BNIB LG OLED Curved TV 55EA9800 ~Best Black Levels Ever~
ht: LCR JTR 212HT~Surr. Four JTR 8LP~Hi/Wi Four Elemental Designs Cinema 6 eD6c~Subs Two JTR Orbit Shifter LFU~AV Marantz SR7008
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #362 of 363 Old 10-10-2014, 11:40 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 89 Post(s)
Liked: 318
Quote:
Originally Posted by asoofi1 View Post
Currently, you can either do 7.x.4 or 9.x.2 with atmos receivers released thus far. So only 2 ceiling speakers with a 9 channel step. The most effective is with 4 ceiling speakers get the panning effect of any sound overhead.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
I guess I should have also mentioned... I want to continue to use Audyssey XT32.

Lombardi said it:
Perfection is not attainable, but if we chase perfection we can catch excellence."

My System

post #363 of 363 Old 10-10-2014, 12:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 125 Post(s)
Liked: 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by craig john View Post
Hi Mike,

TBH, I haven't really looked that closely at all the options for Atmos. Nor have I looked at all the different processors and receivers. At this point, I know I would have to sacrifice at least my Wides to run Atmos, (unless I spent a ridiculous amount of money on a processor that will likely be obsolete in short order.) Sacrificing Wides just to add Overheads doesn't seem like a significant upgrade to me, and it certainly doesn't justify the huge investment I would need to make. In addition, I think there are still some issues with the HDMI spec and HDCP, (although admittedly I am not fully informed of all those details.)

At this point, IMO, it's not a mature enough technology, (yet), to warrant an investment, at least not from me. I will sit out the first round and wait to see how much better the 2nd generation processors are. In addition, I would like to see what DTS comes up with. For now, I'm quite content with 9.3 and Wides using DTS NeoX in my Marantz 8801.

How about you? Are you considering Atmos? It would probably be difficult to implement in your room with your LP against the back wall and your surrounds mounted up high on the side walls. But... where there's a will...

Craig
Got you on all that. I have never heard it so I can't say how fantastic it is or what the differences would be with speakers over your head instead of wides and heights like you have. As for me, I don't think it would happen for a number of reasons. One, is that it seems like for a setup that I have, you need 4 overhead speakers. Right now I have enough space for two amps. Even if I replaced my one 3ch with a 5ch that would only give me 7ch total. That's not enough. I would have to replace both with a 5ch then I could do it with 10ch of amplification. I really don't feel like doing that. The other thing to do would be to replace both my racks with other racks that would allow me to place another amp in addition to the ones I already have. But that would be a major undertaking and I could not do that myself.

Then there is the placement of the speakers over head. They would probably not be in the right spots. I admit that I am not as much as a stickler as you are with regards to knowing listening and viewing angles. But they would not be over head. They would be just outside of my main listening position. So I don't know if that would be an issue.

Another issue is replacing a working preamp with something else. I think you why that would be an issue . Those are just a few things that I can come up with now. The only thing I could see myself doing is trying to set up a 7.1 system. But I don't know where the other two speakers would go. Also, that would require me to get the 5ch and replace my 3ch amp. I think in my room, 7 speakers are probably enough. I would like to get the matching SR1000be speakers and see if I could put them on my back wall but they are A LOT of money. I need to see where they can go and how they would needed to be setup. But keeping what I have and trying to just add two more for a 7.1 setup is probably the easiest. Plus, let's not forget that we are going to try and get a FP system in my room. That will take some skill as well, if you know what I mean. So that's it. Your room is already outstanding and if it's not worth the effort, it's not like you will be slumming it with your current 9.3 setup .

P.S check out post 1057 in my thread regarding a link you wanted me to show you about the Panny and what I think are its limitations.

It ain't easy being green.
My System

Last edited by MIkeDuke; 10-10-2014 at 03:59 PM.
Reply What's Your System Configuration

User Tag List