craig john's theater - Page 3 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 1Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #61 of 365 Old 09-23-2011, 01:12 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold
 
craig john's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Lancaster, PA
Posts: 10,329
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 93 Post(s)
Liked: 323
Quote:
Originally Posted by White Noise View Post

Very nice!

Back on topic... Thank you!

Lombardi said it:
Perfection is not attainable, but if we chase perfection we can catch excellence."

My System

craig john is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #62 of 365 Old 09-23-2011, 03:47 PM
Senior Member
 
DMark1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Lancaster, PA
Posts: 422
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by craig john View Post

Packer fans could never be called "soft." If anything, they're the hardiest fans in the NFL. EVERY game is a sellout, no matter the weather at the "frozen tundra of Lambeau Field." In fact, if there is snow in the days leading up to a game, the Packers organization can count on volunteer fans to help clear the stands and the parking lots:



Craig

Man, you'd think after all these years dealing with unpredictable snow and cold weather, that Green Bay would have figured out how to build a climate controlled stadium with a roof over it, like those soft Indianapolis idiots.

Or, maybe that's their "home field advantage"...

Fine Music, Movies, Wine, and Friends - A Life Well Lived!
DMark1 is offline  
post #63 of 365 Old 09-25-2011, 08:40 AM
FOH
AVS Special Member
 
FOH's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Midwest
Posts: 4,749
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 212
Quote:


FOH, thanks for your insights. I wasn't aware of your experience at this level. It certainly adds credence to your always-helpful contributions to the forum.

In fact, if there is snow in the days leading up to a game, the Packers organization can count on volunteer fans to help clear the stands and the parking lots:



I certainly appreciate the kind words. I want to make clear, I do not mix, nor am I a stagehand at Lucas Oil Stadium. My side of things was rooted in the electrical department at Convention Center/RCA Dome/Lucas Oil Stadium. We had dedicated stagehands that operated and mixed the house events.

My scope was everything electronic/electric. All incoming house power from 13,800v, down to low voltage control. All 1300 HD displays, from the armrests, elevators, to the 100" Panny plasma and the enormous $11 million HD Stadium bowl displays(97'x53). Get this, inside the mammoth re-play screens, they have tiny mobo fans,..like a few hundred per display,...and they're getting dirty (We bought the service plan)... I was tasked with stage power for concerts, sports lighting and control. All automated control/dimmers of every light fixture in the facility (10's of thousands). I'd liaise with all network television electrical/electronic and signal routing needs (we built a superb, massive indoor/underground truck dock, where we park all network trucks, except sat up-link truck, which resides outside). I was one of only a handful that was trained to operate the roof. All aspects of the video head end (we'd gather many HD signals from every type of source imaginable, modulate them on our own in house cable RF distribution system).

It was the most incredibly enjoyable and rewarding job in the world. One day, 18 months or so ago, entirely out of the blue I had a medical situation/discovery, that left me unable to work any longer. So for now, I'm a stay at home dad, I take care of the kids and my wife of 25 years continues working.

As far as FOH engineering, I've been involved in live work since the early 80's. I dabbled in it as an avocation for years, then finally began full time in the 90's. Then slowly did less of it as I began working at the RCA Dome/convention Center in the late 90's. There simply wasn't time due to the long hours involved in live event work at the CC/RCA Dome.

Just wanted to clear that up. BTW, the main bowl PA, and all smaller PAs though-out the facility are all quite nice. The primary PA is an active Crown on-board powered/JBL line array center cluster, I believe there's 72 cabinets in the center cluster, with delayed cabs flown throughout the bowl. After the contractor finished and the system was real close, another several weeks were spent EQ'ing, aligning balancing the main system. It's actually got some decent bottom end, and can play extremely loudly and cleanly. Still today, it's the worlds largest HiQ networked JBL system. Here's the problem, the main cluster hangs out in the open under the open roof,.....no aspect of it is waterproof. There's amp rack and electronics flown up there and they would not spend the money to water tight this system! So, mgmt. is really gun shy about any rain, and having the roof open Lovely

Thanks

btw;
Here was a concert set-up, with many house reduction curtains etc in place;


This, illustrates the un-weatherproofed line array cabinets, etc, in addition to the 72 center cabinets, there were many other line arrays delays (maybe 80 cabs or so) around for better coverage. Center cluster fed with 208v power, and fiber optic to the amp racks. Other delay arrays were remote powered.


It would've been a pleasure working toward this coming Super Bowl Sunday. It may not be as nice as what Jerry Jones built, but it is very nice. I really dig the retro "fieldhouse" styling. It's much bigger than the outside appearance suggests, as a significant portion is below grade. As is any state of the art facility, it is a technological tour-de-force,..and I really miss it.


Thanks and good luck
LL
LL

------------------------------------
Flat, Deep, Clean, Linear, and Loud
------------------------------------
Active 16.8kw, 7.3 system
(3)Seaton Cat12C up front, (4)QSC K8 sides/rears
(2)Seaton SubM-HP, (4)18" IB
FOH is offline  
post #64 of 365 Old 09-25-2011, 05:25 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold
 
craig john's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Lancaster, PA
Posts: 10,329
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 93 Post(s)
Liked: 323
Great stuff, FOH! I'm about to watch the Sunday night game, Steelers at Colts at Lucas Oil Field. It's cool that I'm conversing with one of the guys involved in the design and application of that stadium.

Enjoy the game!

Packers 27 -- Bears 17!!!

Craig

Lombardi said it:
Perfection is not attainable, but if we chase perfection we can catch excellence."

My System

craig john is offline  
post #65 of 365 Old 10-04-2011, 07:19 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold
 
craig john's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Lancaster, PA
Posts: 10,329
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 93 Post(s)
Liked: 323
The new seats arrive tomorrow!!! I'm stoked!

Craig

Lombardi said it:
Perfection is not attainable, but if we chase perfection we can catch excellence."

My System

craig john is offline  
post #66 of 365 Old 10-06-2011, 05:18 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Bunga99's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 1,268
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 32
How do you like the new seats?

Got any pics of em?
Bunga99 is offline  
post #67 of 365 Old 10-06-2011, 11:54 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold
 
craig john's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Lancaster, PA
Posts: 10,329
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 93 Post(s)
Liked: 323
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunga99 View Post

How do you like the new seats?

Got any pics of em?

FedEx screwed up the delivery. They had the wrong zipcode. (Actually, it might have been Acoustic Innovations who screwed up the shipping info, but FedEx should have verified it when they called to schedule the delivery.)

Anyway, the delivery is rescheduled for Friday.

Craig

Lombardi said it:
Perfection is not attainable, but if we chase perfection we can catch excellence."

My System

craig john is offline  
post #68 of 365 Old 10-06-2011, 01:08 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Bunga99's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 1,268
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 32
That kinda sucks but if you do get it tomorrow, it should make this weekend that much better!
Bunga99 is offline  
post #69 of 365 Old 10-06-2011, 01:32 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold
 
craig john's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Lancaster, PA
Posts: 10,329
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 93 Post(s)
Liked: 323
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunga99 View Post

That kinda sucks but if you do get it tomorrow, it should make this weekend that much better!

Yeah, I probably wasn't going to get around to installing them until the weekend anyway. Still, I ordered them at the end of July and it's now early October. What ever happened to "instant gratification?"

Craig

Lombardi said it:
Perfection is not attainable, but if we chase perfection we can catch excellence."

My System

craig john is offline  
post #70 of 365 Old 10-07-2011, 06:04 AM
AVS Special Member
 
MIkeDuke's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: eastern PA
Posts: 6,289
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 126 Post(s)
Liked: 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by craig john View Post

Yeah, I probably wasn't going to get around to installing them until the weekend anyway. Still, I ordered them at the end of July and it's now early October. What ever happened to "instant gratification?"

Craig

Like I mentioned before, I feel your pain. But you will be so happy once they get installed.

It ain't easy being green.
My System
MIkeDuke is online now  
post #71 of 365 Old 10-07-2011, 07:25 AM
FOH
AVS Special Member
 
FOH's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Midwest
Posts: 4,749
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 212
Good luck with the delivery. Did you get my PM?

Thanks

------------------------------------
Flat, Deep, Clean, Linear, and Loud
------------------------------------
Active 16.8kw, 7.3 system
(3)Seaton Cat12C up front, (4)QSC K8 sides/rears
(2)Seaton SubM-HP, (4)18" IB
FOH is offline  
post #72 of 365 Old 10-07-2011, 03:39 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold
 
craig john's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Lancaster, PA
Posts: 10,329
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 93 Post(s)
Liked: 323
The chairs arrived today! They look awesome! I'll be installing them this weekend. First, I need to add an extension to my riser, then re-carpet the whole riser, then re-install my Crowson transducer... and THEN install the new chairs. I'll take pics along the way.

FOH, I got your PM. WOW! You hit on a lot of topics and there is lot's to respond to. I'll get to it after I get the chairs done. There are a lot of thoughts I want to share.

Craig

Lombardi said it:
Perfection is not attainable, but if we chase perfection we can catch excellence."

My System

craig john is offline  
post #73 of 365 Old 10-07-2011, 05:43 PM
FOH
AVS Special Member
 
FOH's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Midwest
Posts: 4,749
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 212
Quote:
Originally Posted by craig john View Post

The chairs arrived today! They look awesome! I'll be installing them this weekend. First, I need to add an extension to my riser, then re-carpet the whole riser, then re-install my Crowson transducer... and THEN install the new chairs. I'll take pics along the way.

FOH, I got your PM. WOW! You hit on a lot of topics and there is lot's to respond to. I'll get to it after I get the chairs done. There are a lot of thoughts I want to share.

Craig

I'm glad the chairs arrived.

Take your time responding, I was uncertain as to it's delivery. I sent a PM recently, and the individual couldn't locate the message. Take your time, enjoy the weekend/chairs/football, etc.

Thanks

------------------------------------
Flat, Deep, Clean, Linear, and Loud
------------------------------------
Active 16.8kw, 7.3 system
(3)Seaton Cat12C up front, (4)QSC K8 sides/rears
(2)Seaton SubM-HP, (4)18" IB
FOH is offline  
post #74 of 365 Old 10-08-2011, 12:59 PM
AVS Special Member
 
MIkeDuke's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: eastern PA
Posts: 6,289
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 126 Post(s)
Liked: 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by craig john View Post

The chairs arrived today! They look awesome! I'll be installing them this weekend. First, I need to add an extension to my riser, then re-carpet the whole riser, then re-install my Crowson transducer... and THEN install the new chairs. I'll take pics along the way.

FOH, I got your PM. WOW! You hit on a lot of topics and there is lot's to respond to. I'll get to it after I get the chairs done. There are a lot of thoughts I want to share.

Craig

That's great Craig. I glad you got them. I can't wait to see some pics of them. But from the website I can tell they are top notch.

It ain't easy being green.
My System
MIkeDuke is online now  
post #75 of 365 Old 10-11-2011, 02:15 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold
 
craig john's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Lancaster, PA
Posts: 10,329
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 93 Post(s)
Liked: 323
Well, a small delay...

The riser is reconfigured and I set the chairs on it and made sure everything worked, (power recline, heat and massage.) I then took the chairs apart so I could have the riser carpeted. The riser looks great. However, after looking closely at the construction of the chairs, I decided I needed a 2nd Crowson tactile actuator. I need one for each loveseat. So, I ordered the 2nd one today, along with more motion isolation pads. They should be here in 2 days. I'm going to wait until they get here to put the chairs back together. It's a fair amount of work, and I don't feel like doing it twice in 2 days.

For now, I have a bunch of pillows thrown on the riser. My tweeters are not at ear height, but I can live with that for a couple of days.

Pics to follow...

Craig

Lombardi said it:
Perfection is not attainable, but if we chase perfection we can catch excellence."

My System

craig john is offline  
post #76 of 365 Old 10-11-2011, 02:18 PM
Senior Member
 
DMark1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Lancaster, PA
Posts: 422
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Craig, did the carpet installer make it over to your place today?

Fine Music, Movies, Wine, and Friends - A Life Well Lived!
DMark1 is offline  
post #77 of 365 Old 10-11-2011, 02:32 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold
 
craig john's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Lancaster, PA
Posts: 10,329
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 93 Post(s)
Liked: 323
Quote:
Originally Posted by DMark1 View Post

Craig, did the carpet installer make it over to your place today?

See the post just above yours.

Craig

PS. Thanks for the help with the riser!!!

Lombardi said it:
Perfection is not attainable, but if we chase perfection we can catch excellence."

My System

craig john is offline  
post #78 of 365 Old 10-11-2011, 09:19 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Fanaticalism's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 4,394
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Hey Craig,

What made you go with the Triads over the Seatons?
Fanaticalism is offline  
post #79 of 365 Old 10-12-2011, 06:58 AM
AVS Special Member
 
MIkeDuke's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: eastern PA
Posts: 6,289
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 126 Post(s)
Liked: 78
A few more days won't hurt Craig. I can't wait to finally see your new chairs and hopefully get out there to check your stellar system.
"power recline, heat and massage"
That is sweet. I hope you don't mind slumming when you come to my place and have no heat and have to recline the seat yourself.

It ain't easy being green.
My System
MIkeDuke is online now  
post #80 of 365 Old 10-12-2011, 09:36 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold
 
craig john's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Lancaster, PA
Posts: 10,329
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 93 Post(s)
Liked: 323
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fanaticalism View Post

Hey Craig,

What made you go with the Triads over the Seatons?

I got a good deal on a used set of Triad Platinums. Even though the MSRP of the Platinums is about 2X the price of the Seatons, I got them for less than the Catalysts.

Frankly, I love both speakers and could be happy with either one for a very long time.

Craig

Lombardi said it:
Perfection is not attainable, but if we chase perfection we can catch excellence."

My System

craig john is offline  
post #81 of 365 Old 10-12-2011, 11:56 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold
 
craig john's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Lancaster, PA
Posts: 10,329
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 93 Post(s)
Liked: 323
Quote:
Originally Posted by MIkeDuke View Post

A few more days won't hurt Craig. I can't wait to finally see your new chairs and hopefully get out there to check your stellar system.
"power recline, heat and massage"
That is sweet. I hope you don't mind slumming when you come to my place and have no heat and have to recline the seat yourself.

I never mind "slumming" at your place.

Craig

Lombardi said it:
Perfection is not attainable, but if we chase perfection we can catch excellence."

My System

craig john is offline  
post #82 of 365 Old 10-13-2011, 05:39 AM
AVS Special Member
 
MIkeDuke's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: eastern PA
Posts: 6,289
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 126 Post(s)
Liked: 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by craig john View Post

I never mind "slumming" at your place.

Craig

Thanks. I try. Is that projector you bought out yet or is it yet to be released. After the chairs I am guessing that is the next big install. Can't wait to see the chairs though.

It ain't easy being green.
My System
MIkeDuke is online now  
post #83 of 365 Old 10-14-2011, 07:41 AM
AVS Special Member
 
MIkeDuke's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: eastern PA
Posts: 6,289
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 126 Post(s)
Liked: 78
Any news on the second Crown? I hope you get it soon so you can get the seats setup.

It ain't easy being green.
My System
MIkeDuke is online now  
post #84 of 365 Old 10-14-2011, 07:57 AM
FOH
AVS Special Member
 
FOH's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Midwest
Posts: 4,749
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 212
I'm really interested in reading your thoughts/impressions on the tactile transducer system, once they're up and running and optimized with the entire rig.

Good luck

------------------------------------
Flat, Deep, Clean, Linear, and Loud
------------------------------------
Active 16.8kw, 7.3 system
(3)Seaton Cat12C up front, (4)QSC K8 sides/rears
(2)Seaton SubM-HP, (4)18" IB
FOH is offline  
post #85 of 365 Old 10-14-2011, 03:54 PM
AVS Special Member
 
benclement11's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: South Dakota
Posts: 1,295
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger That View Post


Indeed. I would do some unspeakable things to have this theater...unspeakable things.

Panasonic P60ST50-Yamaha RX-V467 receiver-Sony PS3-Velodyne SMS-1-Canton 430 mains, 455 center and 402 surrounds-Rythmik FV15HP subwoofer- Pro-ject Debut III turntable- I also have a pair of Mark K's DIY design, the ER18DXT's
.
My humble entertainment room
http://www.avsforum.com/t/1417652/midwest...
benclement11 is offline  
post #86 of 365 Old 10-14-2011, 04:06 PM
AVS Special Member
 
benclement11's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: South Dakota
Posts: 1,295
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by craig john View Post

Hi Scott,

Good pickup on the "sweet spot" issue. However, I specifically chose those seats because I could configure them such that the second seat from the left could be placed *exactly* in the sweet spot. This will place the console off center and the other primary seat to the right of the console a little further off axis of the sweet spot. But *my* seat will be perfectly centered on the screen and the CC, and equidistant from the L/R's. I wouldn't have it any other way. The 4th seat, all the way right, will be outside the right speaker plane, but that's kind of a "throw away" seat anyway. I'll sit in it when I have guests over, and will (temporarily) give up the sweet spot. In fact, the next time you're over, I'll sit there and make sure YOU get the sweet spot.


I haven't been to Lambeau in a few years. I did follow the AV upgrade they did. From what I understand, it's a HUGE improvement. The old system was pretty antiquated.

Here's a video:
http://www.facebook.com/video/video.php?v=2051257375139

Here's what they're planning to do next:



I'm gonna hafta schedule a trip to Lambeau.

Craig

Hopefully my company will win this job. I'm pretty certain that their current video displays are ours. Also, the Lucas Oil stadium video stuff is ours. I walked by it being built about everyday. Not trying to be a braggart, it's just fun seeing people talk about it. It's funny though...the one I always get asked about we didn't do. The Cowboys display is Mitsubishi.

Panasonic P60ST50-Yamaha RX-V467 receiver-Sony PS3-Velodyne SMS-1-Canton 430 mains, 455 center and 402 surrounds-Rythmik FV15HP subwoofer- Pro-ject Debut III turntable- I also have a pair of Mark K's DIY design, the ER18DXT's
.
My humble entertainment room
http://www.avsforum.com/t/1417652/midwest...
benclement11 is offline  
post #87 of 365 Old 10-15-2011, 08:42 AM
FOH
AVS Special Member
 
FOH's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Midwest
Posts: 4,749
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 212
Quote:
Originally Posted by benclement11 View Post

Hopefully my company will win this job. I'm pretty certain that their current video displays are ours. Also, the Lucas Oil stadium video stuff is ours. I walked by it being built about everyday. Not trying to be a braggart, it's just fun seeing people talk about it. It's funny though...the one I always get asked about we didn't do. The Cowboys display is Mitsubishi.

When you say you walked by as they were being built,...as in,.. in the shop? Or, in Indianapolis?

You must work for DAK. Nice stuff, we (LOS)bought 2 primary displays, and about a thousand feet of ribbon board, then several other items as well. I worked on Mitsubishi screens at the RCA Dome, as they died a slow death it was really difficult keeping them going. I spent perhaps 4 hours a day rebuilding individual CRT modules,...just to keep it decent for each event. I drove a big rental truck to old Bush Stadium/St. Louis, inspected and subsequently bought all of their modules from them that I could, as they were literally tearing the place down. I bought them from the salvage company, like a big drug deal as we negotiated a price. Too funny They didn't make them any longer, we searched all over the country for them.

As they would fail, I would oftentimes be inside the screen, repairing things, at some point during Colt's games.
----------

Back to Lambeau, I'd love to hear the Danley Genesis/etc. system at Green Bay or anywhere for that matter. Tom Danley is brilliant, and bringing his craft to applications such as that is a perfect marriage. Can anyone here attest to the quality/intelligibility of the Lambeau system? Craig, have you heard it? Know anyone that has?

What I find so refreshing, is the trend toward higher, and higher quality PA systems for fixed installations such as these. The systems are geared more for wide-bandwidth music playback than ever before. For Colt's games, the team hires a DJ to come and sit next to our house engineer, he plays specific tracks as per a Colt's executive's direction, who also sits right there.

The house guy has to get announcements, referee mic, and advertising copy thru the system. Then the Colts exec cues the DJ when to play what track,....and it's highly choreographed and typically identical each game. Very specific tracks are played during the pre-game warm up period. The energy builds and builds, culminating with a raise in level and Phil Collins'/In the Air Tonight,... as the team captains gather everyone for synchronized calisthenics. At that time, team GM Bill Polian, walks amoung the players, and shakes each team member's hand wishing them well. Same thing, same ritual,...every home game.

They do make changes at times, however not much, merely little tweeks here and there. A few years ago they changed from running out the tunnel/taking the field with Hell's Bells, to Won't Get Fooled Again. Often, they'd run behind this very elaborately tricked out Lucas Oil/Colt's chopper,...and the house sound guys would mic the exhaust, and mix it into the PA, and this is during the big cresendo of Won't Get Fooled Again.

Anyway, the house system is quite capable, and I'm sure the Danley system at Lambeau is too,...I'd love to hear it. There's one track they play between downs, that's got some real strong LF,...you can feel the bass during particular notes. I'm curious as to the LF at Green Bay,...any subs?

Now being able to have somewhat of a tactile element to the LF in essentially as large a cubic environment imaginable, is quite a task. But this is a wonderful trend amoung stadiums/arenas; moving away from merely public address, and toward high quality, wide bandwidth, large scale sound systems. Even the Indianapolis Motor Speedway, as big a venue as it is, installed subwoofers for music playback, for their largest pit grandstand. Several years ago, they switched from nasty compression horns, to these great QSC 10" two ways, with 3" compression tweeters everywhere. I mean they bought several hundred, augmented the LF w/double 15" subs down the main straight. The FOH engineer is a friend of mine, and they've really stepped up their game quality wise. Here is a nice pic(click to enlarge), showing subs/mains on the front straight. I think they clearly needed tighter coverage MF/HF, but they opted for minimal visual impact to sightlines. Oh well, still decent.

So, whether it's Danley @ Lambeau, QSC @ Indianapolis Motor Speedway, or even your local arena, systems are getting better and better.

Speaking of systems getting better and better; Craig, with those Triad Platinums/Submersives, and tactile transducers,... it's most likely just like being there,...but much better

Also, I've been inquiring with every enthusiast I can, do you run your subs flat, hot, or with an eq curve emphasizing an area? I've seen your response graphs(superb), just curious in operation if you change things. Music, movies, any differences? I just bought a brand new Velo/SMS-1, to help facilitate some experiments. I really like the multiple EQ curve, high pass, etc., via remote @ the LP.

Have fun, and good luck with the chairs. You've got me considering a tactile transducer rig of some type. So I hope that all works out.

Thanks

------------------------------------
Flat, Deep, Clean, Linear, and Loud
------------------------------------
Active 16.8kw, 7.3 system
(3)Seaton Cat12C up front, (4)QSC K8 sides/rears
(2)Seaton SubM-HP, (4)18" IB
FOH is offline  
post #88 of 365 Old 10-15-2011, 01:24 PM
AVS Special Member
 
benclement11's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: South Dakota
Posts: 1,295
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by FOH View Post

When you say you walked by as they were being built,...as in,.. in the shop? Or, in Indianapolis?

You must work for DAK. Nice stuff, we (LOS)bought 2 primary displays, and about a thousand feet of ribbon board, then several other items as well. I worked on Mitsubishi screens at the RCA Dome, as they died a slow death it was really difficult keeping them going. I spent perhaps 4 hours a day rebuilding individual CRT modules,...just to keep it decent for each event. I drove a big rental truck to old Bush Stadium/St. Louis, inspected and subsequently bought all of their modules from them that I could, as they were literally tearing the place down. I bought them from the salvage company, like a big drug deal as we negotiated a price. Too funny They didn't make them any longer, we searched all over the country for them.

As they would fail, I would oftentimes be inside the screen, repairing things, at some point during Colt's games.
----------

Back to Lambeau, I'd love to hear the Danley Genesis/etc. system at Green Bay or anywhere for that matter. Tom Danley is brilliant, and bringing his craft to applications such as that is a perfect marriage. Can anyone here attest to the quality/intelligibility of the Lambeau system? Craig, have you heard it? Know anyone that has?

What I find so refreshing, is the trend toward higher, and higher quality PA systems for fixed installations such as these. The systems are geared more for wide-bandwidth music playback than ever before. For Colt's games, the team hires a DJ to come and sit next to our house engineer, he plays specific tracks as per a Colt's executive's direction, who also sits right there.

The house guy has to get announcements, referee mic, and advertising copy thru the system. Then the Colts exec cues the DJ when to play what track,....and it's highly choreographed and typically identical each game. Very specific tracks are played during the pre-game warm up period. The energy builds and builds, culminating with a raise in level and Phil Collins'/In the Air Tonight,... as the team captains gather everyone for synchronized calisthenics. At that time, team GM Bill Polian, walks amoung the players, and shakes each team member's hand wishing them well. Same thing, same ritual,...every home game.

They do make changes at times, however not much, merely little tweeks here and there. A few years ago they changed from running out the tunnel/taking the field with Hell's Bells, to Won't Get Fooled Again. Often, they'd run behind this very elaborately tricked out Lucas Oil/Colt's chopper,...and the house sound guys would mic the exhaust, and mix it into the PA, and this is during the big cresendo of Won't Get Fooled Again.

Anyway, the house system is quite capable, and I'm sure the Danley system at Lambeau is too,...I'd love to hear it. There's one track they play between downs, that's got some real strong LF,...you can feel the bass during particular notes. I'm curious as to the LF at Green Bay,...any subs?

Now being able to have somewhat of a tactile element to the LF in essentially as large a cubic environment imaginable, is quite a task. But this is a wonderful trend amoung stadiums/arenas; moving away from merely public address, and toward high quality, wide bandwidth, large scale sound systems. Even the Indianapolis Motor Speedway, as big a venue as it is, installed subwoofers for music playback, for their largest pit grandstand. Several years ago, they switched from nasty compression horns, to these great QSC 10" two ways, with 3" compression tweeters everywhere. I mean they bought several hundred, augmented the LF w/double 15" subs down the main straight. The FOH engineer is a friend of mine, and they've really stepped up their game quality wise. Here is a nice pic(click to enlarge), showing subs/mains on the front straight. I think they clearly needed tighter coverage MF/HF, but they opted for minimal visual impact to sightlines. Oh well, still decent.

So, whether it's Danley @ Lambeau, QSC @ Indianapolis Motor Speedway, or even your local arena, systems are getting better and better.

Speaking of systems getting better and better; Craig, with those Triad Platinums/Submersives, and tactile transducers,... it's most likely just like being there,...but much better

Also, I've been inquiring with every enthusiast I can, do you run your subs flat, hot, or with an eq curve emphasizing an area? I've seen your response graphs(superb), just curious in operation if you change things. Music, movies, any differences? I just bought a brand new Velo/SMS-1, to help facilitate some experiments. I really like the multiple EQ curve, high pass, etc., via remote @ the LP.

Have fun, and good luck with the chairs. You've got me considering a tactile transducer rig of some type. So I hope that all works out.

Thanks

Yeah, I am a project coordinator at Daktronics. On my way up to my desk I walk by where they build all the stuff for large venues. I agree with the movement toward higher end audio systems. Daktronics offers sound. It is pretty good. We get high schools that buy what we call Sportsounds. There are def. more and more moving toward higher quality sound and not just pro teams.

Panasonic P60ST50-Yamaha RX-V467 receiver-Sony PS3-Velodyne SMS-1-Canton 430 mains, 455 center and 402 surrounds-Rythmik FV15HP subwoofer- Pro-ject Debut III turntable- I also have a pair of Mark K's DIY design, the ER18DXT's
.
My humble entertainment room
http://www.avsforum.com/t/1417652/midwest...
benclement11 is offline  
post #89 of 365 Old 10-17-2011, 07:18 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold
 
craig john's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Lancaster, PA
Posts: 10,329
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 93 Post(s)
Liked: 323
I got the Crowson Tactile Effects System today. I will be installing it and setting up the chairs on Wednesday evening. Below are pics of the riser with the extension DMark1 and I built. The next pic is the carpeted riser. I used a slightly contrasting carpet for the top of the riser, but the same carpet as the floor for the "upright" sections of the riser. It blends into the floor very well.

Riser with extension:


Carpeted Riser:


I will need to attach the isolation feet to the bottom of the chairs.



Speaking to Randy Crowson at Crowson Technology, he suggested the following locations for the feet, (shown in red):



The actuator will be placed under the frame of chairs where the solid blue circle is shown. Two chairs will straddle one actuator. The two chairs are connected with the metal joiner circled in blue. They will both be shaken as one chair.

The way the Crowson actuator works, the top side of the actuator will shake the chairs. The bottom half of the actuator will contact and shake the riser.
http://crowsontech.com/go/crowsontec...opDefault.aspx



The riser is built such that the joists are 2" x 4"'s, while the outer frame is 2" x 6"'s. The joists don't contact the floor; they are "suspended" above the floor. The top of the riser is 3/4" pressboard. Because of the suspended nature of the riser, it shakes quite well.

I think it's important to shake the riser as well as the seats. If you only shake the seats, and your feet are on the floor, and the floor isn't shaking, you don't get any tactile response through your feet. Feeling shaking in your body, but not in your feet is unnatural and I find it makes the effect a lot less believable. Shaking the riser shakes your feet and makes the whole effect much more natural and believable.

I will try to take pic's of the completed installation Wednesday night.

Craig
LL
LL
LL

Lombardi said it:
Perfection is not attainable, but if we chase perfection we can catch excellence."

My System

craig john is offline  
post #90 of 365 Old 10-18-2011, 04:47 AM
FOH
AVS Special Member
 
FOH's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Midwest
Posts: 4,749
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 212
Nice, thanks for the details. I know nothing about this stuff, so I'm all ears/eyes. Have fun.

------------------------------------
Flat, Deep, Clean, Linear, and Loud
------------------------------------
Active 16.8kw, 7.3 system
(3)Seaton Cat12C up front, (4)QSC K8 sides/rears
(2)Seaton SubM-HP, (4)18" IB
FOH is offline  
Reply What's Your System Configuration

User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off